Type keyword(s) to search

General Pilot & Shows In Development Discussion

• Start Topic

Well apparently the CW is doing a Nancy Drew series and has cast the titular role and I was excited about this TV show for two seconds until I read this:

The Magicians writer Noga Landau will pen the pilot script along with Gossip Girl and The O.C. veterans Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Why do people keep letting Schwartz and Savage have shows? THEY'RE TERRIBLE MAKE IT STOP.

I kept seeing the promos during iZombie and thinking it looked good despite myself. Of course, I think 75% of that is... a team solving mysteries at an old fashioned diner makes me think of Pushing Daisies. For all its flaws, I loved Gossip Girl, at least while it was airing. I never watched The Magicians. So... I'm tentatively still in? But open to bailing if it's bad.

• Love 1

Untitled Jessica Gao* — PASSED OVER/BEING SHOPPED
Logline: Revolves around Janet Zhao, a first-generation Chinese-American woman who struggles to set healthy boundaries with her crazy, exhausting family. When her wealthy grandmother dies and names Janet the sole inheritor, she suddenly finds herself the unwilling new matriarch of the family she’s spent her life trying to keep at arm’s length.
Cast: Holly Chou, Cindy Cheung, Stephen Park, Kelly Hu, Helen Hong, Ki Hong Lee, Ashley Park, John Gemberling
Team: W/EP Jessica Gao (Rick and Morty), Larry Wilmore; EP Brian Grazer, Francie Calfo, Samie Falvey; EP/D Jude Weng
Studio: ABC Studios, CBS TV Studios, Amblin TV
Format: Single-camera

Untitled Leslie Odom Jr. comedy* — PASSED OVER

Logline: Inspired by real-life progressive pastors Toure Roberts and Sarah Jakes-Roberts, the show revolves around Omari (Leslie Odom Jr.) and Hope (Kelly Jenrette), who together run a modern ministry and share an eclectic, chaotic home life with their combined four children.
Cast: Leslie Odom Jr., Kelly Jenrette (The Handmaid's Tale), Alexis Fields, Hailey Kilgore, Lilah Richcreek, Milan Carter, Kezii Curtis, Brandon Severs, Somali Rose
Team: W/EP Saladin Patterson (The Last O.G., The Big Bang Theory), EP Kerry Washington, Pilar Savone, Leslie Odom Jr., Co-EP Toure Roberts, Sarah Jakes-Roberts; EP/D Fred Savage
Studio: ABC Studios, Simpson Street
Format: Multicamera

ABC, how dare you tempt me with the idea of shows featuring Ashley Park, Leslie Odom Jr., and Hailey Kilgore and then not deliver? Have I not proven I will watch all kinds of nonsense with Broadway talent by my relentless support of Laura Benanti TV projects?

All Rise (formerly Courthouse) — ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: Follows the dedicated, chaotic, hopeful and sometimes absurd lives of the judges, assistant district attorneys and public defenders as they work with bailiffs, clerks, cops and jurors to bring justice to the people of Los Angeles.
Cast: Jessica Camacho, Wilson Bethel, J. Alex Brinson, Marg Helgenberger, Lindsay Mendez, Ruthie Ann Miles
Team: W/EP Greg Spottiswood (Frontier); EP Leonard Goldstein; EP/D Mike Robin; CP Gil Garcetti
Studio: Warner Bros. TV

Speaking of which, I'm happy for Lindsay Mendez and Ruthie Ann Miles to be potentially making that CBS procedural money like the actors on Bull. But CBS procedurals are where I draw the line. If they're successful, they film way too many episodes and never die. 

Evil — ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: A drama about the battle between science and religion, Evil focuses on a skeptical female clinical psychologist who joins a priest-in-training and a blue-collar contractor as they investigate supposed miracles, demonic possessions and other extraordinary occurrences to see if there's a scientific explanation or if something truly supernatural is at work.
Cast: Katja Herbers (Westworld, Divorce), Mike Colter (Luke Cage), Aasif Mandvi, Michael Emerson
Team: W/EP Robert and Michelle King (The Good Fight); EP Liz Glotzer; D Robert King
Studio: CBS TV Studios

Um... what? I have no idea what the tone of this show is. X-Files, basic procedural, action adventure? But who just calls a show "Evil"? I give more credit to the Dick Wolf shows that are just different federal and state law enforcement, medical professionals, etc.

Speaking of FBI: Most Wanted, Julian McMahon is looking... interesting these days. Very Nip/Tuck if you know what I mean.

Carol's Second Act (series commitment)
 — ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: Revolves around Carol Chambers (Patricia Heaton), who, after raising her two children and retiring from teaching, embarks on a unique second act: becoming a doctor.

Cast: Patricia Heaton
, Kyle MacLachlan, Sabrina Jalees, Jean-Luc Bilodeau, Ito Aghayere, Bonnie Dennison
Team: W/EP Emily Halpern, Sarah Haskins (Trophy Wife); EP Patricia Heaton, David Hunt, Adam Griffin, Rebecca Stay, Aaron Kaplan, Dana Honor; EP/D Pam Fryman

Studio: CBS TV Studios, Kapital Entertainment, Four Boys

I will never understand CBS.

Lovestruck (formerly Untitled Tom Kapinos drama) — PASSED OVER
Logline: A structurally inventive dramedy in which the entire first season takes place over the course of a single night at a wedding. As viewers get to know the wedding party, they'll learn surprising reveals about both their present and past, see that things aren't always as they seem and explore the complicated bonds of love, friendship and family at different stages of life. Inspired by the Endemol Shine France series Quadras.
Cast: Rachel Bilson, Steve Kazee, Andie MacDowell, Kathleen Turner, Richard Roxburgh, Madeline Wise, Usman Ally, Beth Riesgraf, Jeffery Self, Linda Park
Team: W/EP Tom Kapinos (Lucifer, Californication); D/EP Sanaa Hamri (Empire); EP Sharon Levy, Francois-Xavier Demaison, Nicolas Coppermann
Studio: 20th Century Fox TV, Endemol Shine North America

This sounds like it would have been interesting. Wrong for Fox. It sounds more like the ABC rom-com-ish shows they were trying for one season like A to Z and Manhattan Love Story. Maybe with a bit of that This Is US, A Million whatever it's called flavor too.

Untitled Annie Weisman/Jason Katims drama — ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: Only child Julia Beckley (Brittany Snow) has her life turned upside down when it's revealed that her father, a pioneering Nobel Prize-winning fertility doctor, used his own sperm to conceive dozens of children over the course of his career. Reeling from this explosive revelation, Julia discovers two new sisters -- her former best friend and an ex-Olympic athlete. Against all odds, the women attempt to form an untraditional family and lean on each other as they grapple with their own identity crises.  Based on the original Endemol Shine Australia series Sisters.
Cast: Brittany Snow, Emily Osment, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Timothy Hutton, Mustafa Elzein, Mo McRae (Pitch)
Team: W/EP Annie Weisman (The Path), EP Jason Katims (Parenthood), Jeni Mulein, Imogen Banks, Sharon Levy, EP/D Leslye Headland (Russian Doll)
Studio: Universal TV, Endemol Shine North America, True Jack, Fox Entertainment

Um... this is a choice. It feels like a weird set up that will just turn into a pretty straightforward show unless more children appear.

Bless the Harts — ANIMATED STRAIGHT-TO-SERIES ORDER
Logline: Follows a group of Southerners who are always broke as a joke and struggling for the American dream of status and wealth. What they don't realize is that they're already rich in friends, family and laughter.
Voice cast: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Jillian Bell, Ike Barinholtz
Team: W/EP Emily Spivey; EP Phil Lord, Chris Miller, Kristen Wiig, Seth Cohen, Aubrey Lee
Studio: 20th Century Fox TV, Lord & Miller Productions

Duncanville — ANIMATED STRAIGHT-TO-SERIES ORDER
Logline: Revolves around a 15-year-old boy named Duncan and his friends and family, including his mother, Annie, who is constantly trying to prevent her son from ruining his life.
Voice cast: Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Wiz Khalifa
Team: W/EP Mike and Julie Scully (The Simpsons); EP Amy Poehler, Dave Becky
Studio: 20th Century Fox TV, Universal Television, Paper Kite Productions, 3 Arts

The Great North — ANIMATED / ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: Follows the Alaskan adventures of the Tobin family, as single dad, Beef, does his best to keep his weird bunch of kids close, especially as the artistic dreams of his only daughter, Judy, lead her away from the family fishing boat and into the glamorous world of the local mall.
Cast: Nick Offerman, Jenny Slate, Megan Mullally, Paul Rust, Aparna Nancherla, Will Forte, Dulcé Sloan
Team: W/EP Wendy Molyneux, Lizzie Molyneux, Minty Lewis; EP Loren Bouchard
Studio: 20th Century Fox TV, Fox Entertainment

It makes sense that Fox is pursuing animation but this feels less like The Simpsons and the Seth MacFarlane shows and more like it's riding a wave of Big Mouth and Bojack Horseman. There's a certain kind of animated show backed by voice actors who come from an improv background that I'm just not really on board with. It's rarely funny to me and for some reason I'd rather suffer through weak live action comedy than weak animated comedy.

Richard Lovely — PASSED OVER/BEING SHOPPED
Logline: Richard Lovely (Thomas Lennon) is the disgruntled author of the best-selling children's book series, Mr. Mouse. He doesn’t hate children, but rather just everything about them. After a publicity fiasco involving an unexpectedly savvy 9-year-old kid, Mr. Mouse appears in Richard's real life as he is forced into an unlikely father-son relationship that will change his life forever.
Cast: Thomas Lennon, Wendie Malick, Mason Shneiderman, Nicole Sun, Asif Ali, Nicole Richie, Jason Alexander
Team: W/EP Billy Finnegan (Grace and Frankie); EP Kat Coiro; EP/D Alex Hardcastle
Studio: 20th Century Fox TV

I don't know that I would have stuck with it but I definitely would have checked this out.

Bluff City Law — ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: A character-driven legal drama that follows the lawyers of an elite Memphis law firm that specializes in the most controversial landmark civil rights cases. Led by legendary lawyer Elijah Strait (Jimmy Smits) and his brilliant daughter, Sydney Keller (Caitlin McGee), they take on the toughest David-and-Goliath cases while navigating their complicated relationship.
Cast: Jimmy Smits, Caitlin McGee, Barry Sloane, Michael Luwoye, Maame Yaa Boafo, Jayne Atkinson
Team: W/EP Dean Georgaris (The Brave); EP David Janollari, Michael Aguliar
Studio: Universal Television, David Janollari Entertainment  

On NBC and with that name I can't tell if this will be brilliant or terrible. 

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist — ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: An innovative musical dramedy about a whip-smart but socially awkward girl (Jane Levy, Castle Rock) in her late 20s who is suddenly able to hear the innermost thoughts of people around her as songs and even big musical numbers that they perform just for her. With this new ability at her disposal, she is able to use her "gift" to not only help herself understand people in her life, but also to help others around her.
Cast: Jane Levy, Skylar Astin, Alex Newell, Mary Steenburgen, Peter Gallagher, John Clarence
Team: W/EP Austin Winsberg (Gossip Girl); EP/D Paul Feig, Jesse Henderson, Kim Tannenbaum, Eric Tannenbaum, Jason Wang; EP/D Richard Shepard (Girls)
Studio: Lionsgate TV, the Tannenbaum Co., FeigCo., Universal Music Group

I still miss Suburgatory. I adore Peter Gallagher. Alex Newell is solid in what I've seen him in though I don't know the extent of his abilities. Terrible title but of course I will watch this. 

Indebted (formerly Uninsured) — ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: Young parents Dave (Adam Pally) and Rebecca (Abby Elliott) end up having to take care of Dave's parents, who have mismanaged their finances and need help paying down a sizable debt.
Cast: Adam Pally (The Mindy Project), Abby Elliott (Saturday Night Live), Fran Drescher, Steven Weber, Jessy Hodges, Amer Chadha-Patel
Team: W/EP Dan Levy (The Goldbergs), EP Doug Robinson, Alison Greenspan; Co-EP Adam Pally
Studio: Sony Pictures TV, Doug Robinson Productions

Cast? Great. Concept? Horrendous. I don't think I'll be able to sit through this one. I'm very picky about my shows lately. I'm not much for mediocre sitcoms.

Village Gazette (presentation) — PASSED OVER
Logline: Amber (Amber Ruffin) is the editor of the Benson Village Gazette. She loves fluff pieces that demonstrate the idyllic nature of life in her hometown. When the newspaper owners hire a reporter who's looking to uncover a juicy story in Benson, he threatens to unravel the happy denial Amber has been living in.
Cast: Amber Ruffin (Late Night with Seth Meyers), Tommy Dewey
Team: W/EP Amber Ruffin, Shelly Gossman (AP Bio); EP Seth Meyers, Mike Shoemaker, Lorne Michaels, Andrew Singer
Studio: Universal Television, Sethmaker Shoemeyers Productions, Broadway Video

This sounds like it could have been fun.

Batwoman* -- ORDERED TO SERIES
Logline: Revolves around Kate Kane (Ruby Rose), who, armed with a passion for social justice and flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet — in a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope.
Cast: Ruby Rose (Orange Is the New Black), Dougray Scott (Snatch), Elizabeth Anweis (911), Meagan Tandy (Teen Wolf), Camrus Johnson (Luke Cage), Nicole Kang (You), Rachel Skarsten (Reign), Camrus Johnson
Team: W/EP: Caroline Dries (The Vampire Diaries); EP Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Geoff Johns; EP/D David Nutter; EP/D Marcos Siega (The Following)
Studio: Warner Bros. TV, Berlanti Productions

My interest is incredibly low even after the endless promos during the last season of iZombie but I may take a peek. I need a new show with a female lead engaging in hand to hand combat.

10 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

One of the producers of Spitting Image, the puppet-based political satire from the 80's, is looking to bring it back, and they've already shot a pilot.

I wasn't familiar with this show before I saw it mentioned in your post. After seeing the pictures of the puppets it made me look up a song by Genesis from the 80s which confirmed that the puppets used in it were from the show. That was a nice thing to learn today.  

• Love 3

'Green Lantern & ‘Strange Adventures’: Greg Berlanti And DC Go Cosmic For HBO Max'

Television super-producer Greg Berlanti’s ever-expanding screen interpretation of the DC Comics Universe is going cosmic with two new series for the HBO Max streaming platform: Strange Adventures and a Green Lantern-inspired show.

“Both of these original DC properties we’ll be creating for HBO Max will be unlike anything seen on television,” said Berlanti, who announced both projects Tuesday at the HBO Max WarnerMedia Day presentation. “An anthology series of cautionary tales set in a world where superpowers exist, and, in what promises to be our biggest DC show ever made, we will be going to space with a Green Lantern television series, but I can’t reveal any more about that just yet.”

The HBO Max series is described with terms that seem to evoke a Twilight Zone storytelling approach to the DC Universe. as a one-hour drama and superhero anthology series that will “feature characters from across the DC canon” and “explore close-ended morality tales about the intersecting lives of mortals and superhumans.”

Strange Adventures is produced by Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros Television. Berlanti, Sarah Schechter (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Titans, Doom Patrol), and showrunner-writer John Stephens (Gotham, Gossip Girl) serve as executive producers. Charlie Huston (Powers, Gotham) is a co-executive producer, Brigitte Hales (Once Upon a Time) is a producer, and Selwyn Seyfu Hinds (Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child, The Twilight Zone) is a consulting producer.

The Green Lantern-inspired series, based on the characters from the iconic DC comic, will come from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros Television.

I'm still shaking my head at the idea of a Kung Fu reboot.  Other than a stay at a Shaolin monastery and I assume a lot of slo-mo fight scenes, it doesn't seem to have much in common with KF (or KF:TLC).  Sounds like it changed a lot since the initial development

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/kung-fu-series-reboot-cw-1203395617/ 

In the new take on the series, a quarter-life crisis causes a young Chinese-American woman to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice, all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her. It is inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman

And a quarter-life crisis?  I guess that makes it perfect for the CW?

• LOL 1
On 11/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, tessaray said:

And a quarter-life crisis?  I guess that makes it perfect for the CW?

Maybe she just found out that her college degree is useless for finding a job?

Is anybody else watching for Netflix's "Virgin River"? The start date is Dec. 6, but no episode titles or descriptions are up yet. I don't know how early Netflix does that stuff. It's based on Robyn Carr's books and stars Alexandra Breckenridge and Martin Henderson.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Is anybody else watching for Netflix's "Virgin River"? The start date is Dec. 6, but no episode titles or descriptions are up yet. I don't know how early Netflix does that stuff.

Netflix typically doesn't put the episode titles/descriptions up until the day it drops.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So it seems any new shows that aren't set pre-Covid-19 would be put on hold so they don't seem anachronistic right out of the gate, right?

? what do you mean?

Edited by CabotCove
4 hours ago, CabotCove said:
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So it seems any new shows that aren't set pre-Covid-19 would be put on hold so they don't seem anachronistic right out of the gate, right?

? what do you mean?

Well, (referring to scripted fiction) if when next fall rolls around we are still walking 6 feet apart etc., seeing life portrayed as it was BCV would destroy half the necessary suspension of disbelief. 

• Love 1
On 3/26/2020 at 3:37 PM, shapeshifter said:

Well, (referring to scripted fiction) if when next fall rolls around we are still walking 6 feet apart etc., seeing life portrayed as it was BCV would destroy half the necessary suspension of disbelief. 

not really, shows dont have to cater to and line up with real life events lol. Some shows are overly fantasy, so removed from reality, with aliens, ghost, monsters etc. Sure some shows will address and tackle the CV crisis, its on a case to case basis. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

its on a case to case basis

Yes. But I am interested to see if some that were slated to move into production before the virus won't because the anachronisms wouldn't fit with the intended slice-of-life reality. Or maybe they'll get re-tooled. 

(edited)

I don't think any shows will touch it at all until this crisis is well in the past, honestly. Maybe only the shows that are normally "ripped from the headlines".

Edited by Trini
ugh - dropped word
  • Love 3

Putting aside the realness of depicting life during/after the virus, I very much doubt there will be any reshoots. The studios are suffering financial losses just like most industries so I believe the last thing they'd want to do is throw money into reshoots of shows that they don't know will be successful.

Depending on how long lockdowns last I predict a lot of non scripted shows (reality/game/news/etc.), which are cheaper and faster to assemble.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

Depending on how long lockdowns last I predict a lot of non scripted shows (reality/game/news/etc.), which are cheaper and faster to assemble

That makes sense. 

I wonder if more  “bubble” shows will be cancelled due to the assumption that a gap of a year between seasons doesn’t make sense for a show with a weak following. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Do you think that they would film potential pilots later in the summer? 

My vague recollections of the fallout from the writers' strike was that a number of shows that would have otherwise started or continued did not, even after the strike was over, because there were too many moving pieces (including people) to realign. 

On 8/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, Angeleyes said:

Filthy Rich is actually a reboot of sorts. It was a comedy in the early 80’s that first introduced us to Dixie Carter and Delta Burke before they went on to work together on Designing Women. It didn’t last long and seemed super low budget, but was pretty funny. IIRC, it seemed inspired by Dallas. Everyone (including a previously unknown son and his brand new stripper wife) had to live in a house together in order to have a chance at inheritance. They would plot against each other to be the last one standing. 

whatever happened to this??

(edited)

kung-fu-reboot-1220569.jpeg?auto=webp&wi

https://nationeditions.com/the-cws-kung-fu-first-poster-released-for-the-reboot-series/

CW  released Kung Fu First Poster.  Showbiz must go on, I guess.

I don't think any shows will touch it at all until this crisis is well in the past, honestly. Maybe only the shows that are normally "ripped from the headlines".

I agree, but unfortunately I already seen some content creators exploiting this crisis, while we are still in the eye of this storm. I have seen music videos, shows in their current season, not to mention the amount of movies potentially being plotted on this subject. Such is the state of humanity. 

Edited by CabotCove

Ginnifer Goodwin joins Eliza Coupe in Pivoting.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/pivoting-ginnifer-goodwin-star-fox-comedy-pilot-1202939745/

Goodwin’s Jodie is Amy’s (Coupe) close friend, who is also coping with the loss of Coleen. Raised by an overprotective mother, Jodie is herself a parent of three, married to a suffocating husband who gives her no room to breathe and be herself. She finds the excitement, attention, and affection she craves in the form of an affair with her gym trainer. Tommy Dewey also stars.

(edited)

Lucy Liu has been cast as the lead of an untitled ABC sitcom.  Via TVLine:

The multi-camera project — formerly titled Kids Matter Now and Bossy — follows Liu’s Devin, a diva boss with no patience for working parents. But when Devin adopts a baby of her own and has a change of heart, her mother-of-three assistant becomes an unlikely mentor, upending the office dynamics.

The head of a successful furniture company called Shelter, Devin is described as a fierce and powerful woman who is unfamiliar with failure… until she adopts her child and feels ill-prepared for the task of parenting.

The Variety write-up notes:

The pilot was one of several that ABC pegged to shoot later in the year once production can safely resume.

The pilot is written and executive produced by [Shana] Goldberg-Meehan. Liu will produce, with Christine Gernon directing. CBS Television Studios and 20th Century Fox Television will produce.

Liu's first regular role was on a multi-camera sitcom, the one-season wonder Pearl (CBS, 1996-97), which starred Rhea Perlman as the titular character, along with Malcolm McDowell and Carol Kane.  Liu also guest starred on three episodes of Joey, which was co-created by Goldberg-Meehan, who was also an executive producer of Friends during its later seasons.

Edited by Just Here
formatting

Via THR: 'Flashdance' TV Reboot in the Works at Paramount+

The streamer, currently known as CBS All Access and poised for a rebranding next year, is dipping into its vault and will reboot its iconic 1983 feature film Flashdance as a TV series. Tracy McMillan (Amazon's Good Girls Revolt) will pen the script for the drama, which is currently in development. Angela Robinson will exec produce and direct the pilot for the potential series. Original Flashdance associate producer Lynda Obst is attached and will also exec produce.

Logline:

...will revolve around a young Black woman with ballet dreams and a strip club reality who struggles to find her place in the world while navigating romance, money, art, friendship and how to love herself.

Edited by Just Here
  • Love 2

‘Black Lightning’ Spinoff ‘Painkiller’ Starring Jordan Calloway Set As Backdoor Pilot At The CW

Calloway plays Khalil Payne, a man ridden with the guilt of his troubled past from his former life in Freeland City, where, as a super-enhanced killing machine known as Painkiller he was both a member of Tobias Whale’s gang and a weapon of Agent Odell and the shadowy ASA.

After attempting to bury the darker, devastatingly lethal Painkiller part of his persona, Khalil has distanced himself away from everyone he knows and loves in a new city, Akashic Valley, in order to find peace, but peace never comes easy for men with pasts like his. As his violent, destructive history crashes his idyllic new beginning, Khalil is thrusted back into action with a new mission: bring justice where he once gave out punishment. But to do that, he will first have to deal with and harness his darker side.

I've made a topic for it in the Black Lightning forum:

• Love 1

Jane Austen Anthology Series in Development at CW
By Joe Otterson   Nov 12, 2020
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jane-austen-anthology-series-cw-1234830781/ 

The CW is developing an anthology series inspired by the works of Jane Austen, Variety has learned.

Titled “Modern Austen,” the one-hour series reimagines Austen’s novels as six modern stories. Each season is a different novel, beginning with “Pride and Prejudice,” set in contemporary San Francisco.

The series hails from Eleanor Burgess, who will serve as writer and executive producer. Burgess most recently wrote on the HBO series “Perry Mason.” Stephanie Allain and Gabrielle Ebron will executive produce via Homegrown Pictures. Warner Bros. Television will produce.
Should the project go to series, it would not be the first CW show based on well-known books. The network debuted the drama series “Nancy Drew” last year, which is based on the detective novel series of the same name.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, tv echo said:

Jane Austen Anthology Series in Development at CW
By Joe Otterson   Nov 12, 2020
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jane-austen-anthology-series-cw-1234830781/ 

Cool? I thought Eleanor Burgess’s new Perry Mason series was great, but all of the CW reimagined series that I’ve seen (e.g., Nancy Drew, Riverdale) were disappointing to me. 
I have been an Austen fan since the 1970s, and even watched all of the recent Sanditon episodes, so I will surely check this out. 
Austen’s original novels would work well in pandemic conditions since the torrid parts of romance happen off screen/page.
But I’m guessing this modern version will use CGI+dummies if pandemic restrictions are still necessary.  

• Love 1
On 5/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, Avabelle said:

Ginnifer Goodwin joins Eliza Coupe in Pivoting.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/pivoting-ginnifer-goodwin-star-fox-comedy-pilot-1202939745/

Goodwin’s Jodie is Amy’s (Coupe) close friend, who is also coping with the loss of Coleen. Raised by an overprotective mother, Jodie is herself a parent of three, married to a suffocating husband who gives her no room to breathe and be herself. She finds the excitement, attention, and affection she craves in the form of an affair with her gym trainer. Tommy Dewey also stars.

Add Maggie Q makes three.  Yes, really.  From  Deadline :

Maggie Q (Nikita, Designated Survivor) is set as the co-lead opposite Eliza Coupe and Ginnifer Goodwin in Fox’s comedy pilot Pivoting...

Maggie Q’s Sarah is a tightly wound doctor, fresh out of a divorce from her wife who cheated on her. This combined with the loss of her childhood friend, Coleen, makes her rethink her life decisions. In the pursuit of an easy, happy life, she leaves medicine and tries to get a job at a local supermarket, which concerns but also excites her best friends Amy (Coupe) and Jodie (Goodwin).

This sounds interesting! But what does it mean for Hartley's role on This Is Us?

'Justin Hartley To Star In ‘The Never Game’ TV Adaptation ...'

This Is Us star Justin Hartley has teamed with the series’ director/executive producer Ken Olin to option the rights to Jeffery Deaver’s 2019 thriller novel, The Never Game.

Hartley is attached to star in the potential first season and Olin is set to direct the project, which Hartley’s ChangeUp Productions and Olin’s Afterportsmouth Productions will develop and produce under the companies’ deals at 20th Television.

Michael Cooney (Identity) will pen the drama adaptation and will executive produce with Hartley and Olin. Additional producers include Roxy Olin, Head of Afterportsmouth Productions, and Julianna LaRosa, Head of ChangeUp Productions.

Written by Cooney based on the New York Times Book Review Top 10 crime novel of the year, The Never Game follows Colter Shaw (Hartley), who travels the country in his old-school RV to help police and private citizens solve crimes and locate missing persons, until his latest case changes everything. This time, it’s personal. Shaw finds himself caught in a cat-and-mouse game, risking his own life to save the victims. He soon learns that he isn’t the only one on the hunt: Someone is on his trail and closing fast.

Hartley’s Shaw is a reward seeker raised by survivalists off the grid. He and his siblings were schooled by their parents, former professors who fled the city for safety, and taught the rules of survival, or “The Never Game,” as their father called it before he was murdered.

Casting director David Rapaport recently posted this "Open Casting Call" for an upcoming (untitled) Amazon series...

https://breakdownservices.com/?action=opencall&oc=6z6d6&tr_oc=0 

UNT AMAZON SERIES | OPEN CALL (Casting Director: Rapaport/Baldasare Casting .)
[DASH] Character portrayed is an East Asian or Mixed Race (East Asian / White) male, 18 or older to play 17. Handsome, a little vain, a high achiever with a perpetual smirk, he is a snarky older brother. He's becoming his own man and enjoys his personal freedom, and is happy to lord it over his little sister to tease her. However, he's also fiercely protective of her. Although his insecurity shows around his new girlfriend, the wealthy socialite he just started dating...SERIES REGULAR

[JASON] Character portrayed is a White male, 18 or older to play 17. The popular one, the one all the girls at school like - athletic, playful and easygoing, he is the youngest of two brothers. He is the life of the party, incredibly magnetic, a natural flirt. He is loyal and sticks up for his older brother and his friends. He's been lifting weights over the last year and is happy to show off his newfound prowess...SERIES REGULAR
DUE DATE: No later than April 30th, @ 10:00amPST
SIDES CODE:  A9244 (Posted on Showfax.com)
SHOOTING LOCATION: Nova Scotia 
ACCENT: American Accent 

JASON NOTE: Jason is super outgoing and fluid, but he doesn't like labels. He may have kissed a guy or a girl at a recent party, but his eyes are set on Violet. Focus on Jason being innocent, joyful, and fun with a really positive energy. We want to see a sweeter, more compassionate side. Don’t play into being cocky or a jerk.

DASH NOTE: Keep in mind that Dash is ambitious, confident, a little into himself but still good hearted, looking forward to a summer with his boys, he wants to grow up and be an investment banker, the next mark zuckerberg.  big things in his future. 

SHOOT DATES: Mid/Late June - Late Oct 
*PLEASE LET US KNOW ANY CONFLICTS YOU HAVE IN THIS WINDOW*

--TAPES WITHOUT A SLATE WILL NOT BE VIEWED--

Edited by tv echo

The World of Darkness is getting a show! I do love me some World of Darkness, especially Vampire: the Masquerade. It will be produced by Eric Heisserer and Christine Boylan, with production company Hivemind. Here's the premise of the WOD. It's a darker and edgier version of our existing world. However, supernatural creatures and magic have always existed alongside humans, generally hiding in the shadows. Vampires are especially big on politics, intrigue, and scheming.

No word on if it'll just be Vampire, Werewolf, or bloody Demon: the Fallen, or incorporate elements of all the games. Vampire would probably be the easiest to go with. Just regular humans who sometimes have long teeth or the occasional magic power. Indeed, most powers don't have a visual effect. With, say, Dominate, it'd just be someone pretending to be mind-controlled. Stuff like Protean is probably easier to do now than 20 years ago, but would still cost more and be trickier than Fortitude.

Interestingly, not even the first TV adaptation of the source material. Kindred: the Embraced aired way back in 1996. I remember watching the first two eps, but then I went on holiday and my friend didn't tape the rest. :( However, that fell apart after its star died, and only ran for 8 episodes in total.

Hey, was that the first live-action tv show based on a TTRPG? I know there was a D&D cartoon, but that was a cartoon. For that matter, have there been any other TV adaptations of RPGs?

• Useful 1