Type keyword(s) to search

General Pilot & Shows In Development Discussion

• Start Topic

At least remaking M*A*S*H would be nothing new, since it was already a TV show based on a movie based on a book. Although I suppose to be consistent, they really should change mediums again. Maybe a Broadway musical?

• Love 2
On 7/24/2018 at 1:13 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Wait wait what- has anyone seen this?!! ANOTHER Roswell?!!

On 7/24/2018 at 2:17 PM, Minneapple said:

I think we discussed the Roswell reboot in the Race/Ethnicity thread. Latino people exist in a border town!

There also discussions in the F-U Reboot thread. I think people had a lot fewer issues with rebooting Roswell because there would finally be Latino representation (Liz was latina in the books) and the original was kind of a shitshow. They were not great at planning arcs for characters so sometimes you'd see these arbitrary plots that were seemingly dropped for long stretches, Katherine Heigl was already being obnoxious behind the scenes and it filtered its way on to the show, they never knew what to do with Colin Hanks' character so they killed him off, half the actors wanted to leave and you could tell, they completely changed the writing staff at least twice, and they were never all that faithful to the books. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:
On 7/24/2018 at 1:13 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Wait wait what- has anyone seen this?!! ANOTHER Roswell?!!

On 7/24/2018 at 2:17 PM, Minneapple said:

I think we discussed the Roswell reboot in the Race/Ethnicity thread. Latino people exist in a border town!

There also discussions in the F-U Reboot thread. I think people had a lot fewer issues with rebooting Roswell because there would finally be Latino representation (Liz was latina in the books) and the original was kind of a shitshow. They were not great at planning arcs for characters so sometimes you'd see these arbitrary plots that were seemingly dropped for long stretches, Katherine Heigl was already being obnoxious behind the scenes and it filtered its way on to the show, they never knew what to do with Colin Hanks' character so they killed him off, half the actors wanted to leave and you could tell, they completely changed the writing staff at least twice, and they were never all that faithful to the books. 

And then there's the PTV board for the reboot: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/4000-roswell-new-mexico/

Just sayin'

• Love 4

'First Wives Club: Jill Scott & Michelle Buteau To Star In Paramount Network’s Series'

Grammy winner and actress Jill Scott (Why Did I Get Married?, Baggage Claim) and comedian Michelle Buteau (Broad City, Key & Peele), are set as two of the three leads in First Wives Club, Paramount Network’s dramedy based on the popular 1996 film from Paramount Pictures. The 10-episode series hails from Girls Trip co-writer Tracy Oliver and Paramount Television.

The First Wives Club series, like the film which starred Diane Keaton, Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn, will be based in New York City. It follows three women, Ari, Bree (Buteau) and Hazel (Scott) who band together after their marriages fall apart, and who find strength in their sisterhood- and of course a little revenge.

Oliver is writing the series and is executive producing along with Karen Rosenfelt (Twilight saga, The Devil Wears Prada) and Scott Rudin, who produced the First Wives Club movie that, in turn, was based on the 1992 novel by Olivia Goldsmith.

Filming is scheduled to begin in New York City this fall for a 2019 premiere on Paramount Network.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Only if it's loosely based on the real life adventures of Delilah DiCrescenzo and becomes a wacky comedy as she runs across Europe trying to make her World Championships A cut time, hangs out with other quirky female athletes, and crosses paths with all kinds of oddball characters on the global track and fiend scene and picks up a couple of Ivy League degrees in the off season. So she's pretty much better off without the whiny singer in her life. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delilah_DiCrescenzo

On 7/27/2018 at 3:54 PM, MissAlmond said:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/norman-lear-all-in-the-family-the-jeffersons-good-times-maude-and-mary-hartman-mary-hartman-reboots-first-look-deal-with-sony-pictures-tv-1202434917/

MissAlmond will soon take requests for her next television prophecies.  Prices vary according to show/network.  Reimagined money will not be accepted.  

Late to the party, but I’d actually like to see a Quantum Leap reboot. But because it’s something I’d actually be interested in watching I’m sure it won’t happen.

• Love 3

I could have sworn we had an Avatar forum here...

‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Live-Action Series In Works At Netflix

Netflix is set to produce a live-action series based on Nickelodeon’s mid-2000s animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender, and is bringing aboard original creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko as executive producers and showrunners. The new series will be made in partnership with Nickelodeon, with production to start next year.

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender,” DiMartino and Konietzko said in a release announcing the project. “We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

The original creators being involved is a good sign. I'm assuming that they're going to be aiming for something closer to "PG-13"; and maybe have less filler. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much a re-do of the animated series can add; it was pretty close to perfect. Better visuals, too, I guess.

• Love 1

I'd rather have a continuation of the series and see our way through the entire Avatar cycle. Korra was set in the 20s. The earth avatar should be born close to present day, like 2000 - 2020. The next avatar would be fire and around in the 22nd century. It would be interesting to see what use an Avatar could be in the future, especially if there is space travel or colonization of different planets.

I loved Northern Exposure but gee, I don't know about this.  That's almost 30 years.  Plus Janine Turner's politics have turned very far to the right in recent years and that can cause tension.  Sometimes political opinions don't matter between people working together on a project like this if they get along on a personal level - but I don't know if that's true here.

ETA: clarification

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

The basic story line of the books would fit very well for episodic TV.  A show about an army vet who goes around the country helping people, while beating up bad guys.

Armie Hammer would be a good Jack Reacher. At least somebody taller than Tom Cruise.

• Love 4

https://tvline.com/2018/11/27/first-wives-club-tv-series-update-bet-paramount-network/

The long-gestating First Wives Club TV series is undergoing a change of address. Previously set to premiere on Paramount Network in 2019, the show’s 10-episode first season will now debut on BET in the new year, TVLine has learned.

Based on the classic 1996 film of the same name, BET’s First Wives Club series follows three New York City women — Ari (This Is Us‘ Ryan Michelle Bathe), Bree (Enlisted‘s Michelle Buteau) and Hazel (Black Lightning‘s Jill Scott) — who form a united front after all of their marriages fall apart. The series, written and executive-produced by Tracy Oliver (Girls Trip), also stars Mark Tallman (Rise), RonReaco Lee (Survivor’s Remorse) and Malik Yoba (Empire).

• Love 1

Bewitched: Why does Samantha have to be a single mom? I'm intrigued by the color conscious casting but I'm not sure this is the right property to sell the politics. Still, I might check it out. 

Surveillance: Even when CBS hires more women and POC, they still make the same shows. 

Filthy Rich: Terrible name for a show that sounds like something I'd like but would quickly find exhausting if the writing didn't live up to the soapy premise.

Bless the Harts: Weird premise for that talent. Sounds like it should be on hulu or Netflix.

Duncanville: Um... what? Did I miss a bunch of Fox animated shows ending their runs? What is with these random new animated shows?

Law & Order: Hate Crimes: SVU is already the worst one in the franchise. Why would you double down? 

Batwoman: Could be amazing. Could be terrible. I do not have much faith in the CW superhero factory. 

• Love 2
On 1/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, BetterButter said:

Color me not surprised, I'm currently reading 'King of Scars', the latest book. I got hooked last autumn and I kept wondering not if but when these will get an on-screen adaptation. That said I find it a bit worrisome that they plan to cram 5 books (three vol. for Shadow and Bone and two for Six of Crows) into 8 episodes.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

That said I find it a bit worrisome that they plan to cram 5 books (three vol. for Shadow and Bone and two for Six of Crows) into 8 episodes.

I'm assuming that those 8 episodes are just a first season order and that more seasons will follow if it is succesful for Netflix. So I don't expect them to cram all the books into those 8 episodes.

• Love 1

Well apparently the CW is doing a Nancy Drew series and has cast the titular role and I was excited about this TV show for two seconds until I read this:

The Magicians writer Noga Landau will pen the pilot script along with Gossip Girl and The O.C. veterans Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Why do people keep letting Schwartz and Savage have shows? THEY'RE TERRIBLE MAKE IT STOP.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:43 PM, Minneapple said:

Why do people keep letting Schwartz and Savage have shows? THEY'RE TERRIBLE MAKE IT STOP.

While it is their production company,  Melinda Tsu Taylor will be the showrunner and Larry Teng the director.  I actually have some hopes for this, although I still wish it were a  20's period piece.  (Period pieces are a small but solid YA thing and something with the name recognition of Nancy Drew could work. But that's not what they're doing.)

https://deadline.com/2019/02/nancy-drew-pilot-kennedy-mcmann-star-the-cw-pilot-leah-lewis-cast-larry-teng-direct-melinda-hsu-taylor-showrunner-1202557691/

It at least beats the hell out of that bad NBC idea of having Sarah Shahi play Nancy and having Nancy, Bess, and George be middle-aged women trying to get back into the more adventurous lives of their youth.  Barf.  I like shows with a good older cast, but that's not what any sane person wants from Nancy Drew.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2019 at 4:28 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I guess because Fuller House worked they're dusting off old properties from the 80's that still have somewhat of a following? I'm really surprised by this one, too.

Especially since the late George Gaynes is no longer present at the moment. My guess is they will do a tribute show to his character as well as the dog. The sister of Marla Gibbs passed away as well. She played Cherie’s aunt. I am totally shocked. My guess is that with those three that died you could bet they would make a tribute to them.

• Love 1
On 1/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, aradia22 said:

Filthy Rich: Terrible name for a show that sounds like something I'd like but would quickly find exhausting if the writing didn't live up to the soapy premise.

Filthy Rich is actually a reboot of sorts. It was a comedy in the early 80’s that first introduced us to Dixie Carter and Delta Burke before they went on to work together on Designing Women. It didn’t last long and seemed super low budget, but was pretty funny. IIRC, it seemed inspired by Dallas. Everyone (including a previously unknown son and his brand new stripper wife) had to live in a house together in order to have a chance at inheritance. They would plot against each other to be the last one standing. 

• Love 2