Type keyword(s) to search

Body of Evidence: Spoiler Discussion

Trini
  • Start Topic

(edited)

From the TCAs:

"I like seasons of TV to feel like chapters of books I like," [Martin Gero] said. "The backstory we came up with is so dense, we can turn cards quickly. In episode two, there's an indication of why Kurt Weller's name is on her back. We break breadcrumbs. There are whole loaves of story in each episode of Blindspot. There's great resolution by episodes two, seven and 10."

Edited by Trini

EW Spoiler Room:

So, does that final scene of Jane Doe getting the tattoos in the Blindspot pilot mean she’s actually in on it? — Johanna

I wouldn’t assume anything just yet. “You can read a couple things into that scene,” EP Martin Gero says. “Yes, she eventually chooses to have the tattoos [put] on, but under what circumstances, under what duress and why is something we’re going to explore pretty heavily in the first season.”

The next five episode titles, after 1.04 "Bone May Rot," are:

1.05 "Split the Law"
1.06 "Cede Your Soul"
1.07 "Sent on Tour"
1.08 "Persecute Envoys"
1.09 "Authentic Flirt"

7 and 8 anagram to "trust no one" and "suspect everyone," respectively. 9 may be "if truth can't lie" as part of a compound title with 10.

Edit: And 5 anagrams to "What it spell?" which is probably not the intended meaning but amuses me.

Edited by Plactus
  • Love 2

The next five episode titles, after 1.04 "Bone May Rot," are:

1.05 "Split the Law"

1.06 "Cede Your Soul"

1.07 "Sent on Tour"

1.08 "Persecute Envoys"

1.09 "Authentic Flirt"

7 and 8 anagram to "trust no one" and "suspect everyone," respectively. 9 may be "if truth can't lie" as part of a compound title with 10.

I can't wait until we get all of them together.

Thanks for posting that, Trini. Sadly, it doesn't exactly fill me with hope. So moving forward,

Cons:

1) Stapleton is still a marble mouthed mumbler who insists on pausing.his sentences.after no more.than three words. I had hoped someone behind the cameras would have picked up on that by now and and flogged him into coherence. And just like in the eps that have already aired, his lines remain the only ones I have problems understanding.

2) The neck beard and disheveled appearance remain unchanged. Seriously? When the leading lady has to spend 7 hours in makeup, I don't think it's too much to ask to expect the leading man to acquaint himself with the business end of a razor. I swear, everything every show ever has agreed on about FBI field agents is that they're well groomed and clad people if nothing else. (Ok, except the BAU.) Stapleton looks like bum.

3) Reade remains the voice of reason reduced to seeming whiny because the hero isn't just blind, but apparently also deaf to logic, despite Reade making perfect sense. That characterization isn't doing either one of them any favors and is old only three eps in. Not looking forward to a continuation of that dynamic at all. I think it would help if some of the others echoed his concerns or boss lady put Reade in charge. (I accept that Weller can't be removed from the case because: drama, but that doesn't mean he has to be in charge.)

4) Hate hate HATE the emphasis on "It's a treasure map." & "She might just be the most important resource we've ever had." It was phenomenally stupid when he said it in show, repeating it every clip they make just makes me feel stupid for watching this pap. (But maybe they're just showcasing that he can on occasion string more than three words together?)

5) Similarly, I can let bygones be bygones and forgive and forget as long as shows don't keep revisiting or emphasizing past mistakes. I found the treatment of Jane in the pilot thoroughly unjustified and repugnant, and it's thankfully improved since. But the "Someone sent her back to me" comment bugs me a lot along the same lines. She's not "yours." She's not property. And way to make it all about you, asshat.

I don't know how they've managed to make me dislike a character this much this quickly who has basically done nothing. It's not like he's out there kicking puppies.

6) Still takes itself waaaaaaay too seriously.

Neutrals:

Jane looks to remain a mixed bag. Still lots of weird googly-eyed, wounded bird "acting" that I would love to do without, but at least she points out that she can't be an 8 year old she that doesn't remember in any event, so maybe she's developing a clue. (That she feels she needs to say that makes me think Weller becomes even more of an idiot than he's been so far.) At least they aren't trying to lure us with more of the entitlement crap that dragged her down the last few eps (I demand to be an equal part of the investigation despite not following orders or proving reliable. I demand the truth at all times despite not sharing the same and for no really good reason at that. etc. Wasn't exactly made of win.) But Alexander still seems to be reprising all the worst aspects of her Kyle XY stint, where I cared neither for her performance nor character. I enjoyed her as Sif and know she can do better.

Pros:

The disproportionate inclusion of Dr. Borden, Patterson and Mayfair in the clip lets me hope that they know they've got some good stuff there (just like the exclusion of the female agent would indicate they know they've done nothing noteworthy with her.) Fingers crossed that that gets reflected in the future screen time/ storylines. And the emphasis on what I assume is a guest arc by Michael Gaston maybe indicates they know the leads and their drahahmah is some pretty weak sauce. Gaston has already managed to inject his character with more character than Sullivan has to date. (Alexander gets a pass for a few eps due to amnesia, but that won't excuse her forever.)

But going off the clip, the next few eps probably won't improve things for me. Jane is largely just there to fight, which I find boring and shaky cam certainly doesn't help to make it more engaging. Too much emphasis is placed on an uncharismatic and unsympathetic Weller. And they didn't even bother to make Sullivan's lines more intelligible, so I doubt they consider it problematic enough to address in the future.

This should have been a show I enjoy. I can't believe this is the end product they meant to produce.

• Love 2

I just hope by the fifth person Jane tries to strangle, they start thinking that she may be an ASSASSIN! 

I am glad that she's going to tell Mumbles McGrowley that she doesn't remember being an eight year old Taylor. She doesn't remember being any age. I feel him being overly attached to her is going to get annoying. Especially since he's basically a plank of wood that speaks with a Batman voice. 

• Love 1
The neck beard and disheveled appearance remain unchanged. Seriously? When the leading lady has to spend 7 hours in makeup, I don't think it's too much to ask to expect the leading man to acquaint himself with the business end of a razor. I swear, everything every show ever has agreed on about FBI field agents is that they're well groomed and clad people if nothing else. (Ok, except the BAU.) Stapleton looks like bum.

Seriously.  Its one thing if he is supposed to be undercover, but he's not, so why does he have to look so disheveled all the time, especially when he two team mates are very nicely groomed.

Seriously.  Its one thing if he is supposed to be undercover, but he's not, so why does he have to look so disheveled all the time, especially when he two team mates are very nicely groomed.

Because he's the best at his job, he can't be bothered on small things like appearances when there are important things to do /s

‘Blindspot’ Creator on Taylor Shaw Backstory, Upcoming Big Moments http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/blindspot-episode-4-martin-gero-jaimie-alexander-1201616250/

“Blindspot” creator Martin Gero says:

Episode seven takes off of something we started building in the pilot as far as some FBI cases that may or may not be on Jane’s body. Episodes seven, eight, nine and ten: There’s some pretty big “Oh sh–” moments.

We knew what episode 22 was on day two in the writers' room, and it’s just working back from that.… We had a great ending for 10 because that’s our midseason finale.

How far are we with the title anagrams?

So far:

Who is Jane Doe?

Taylor Shaw, the Missing Girl

Or Maybe not.

The Past will Cloud our Eyes,

Trust no One, Suspect Everyone

1.09 - Authentic Flirt

1.10 - Evil Handmade Instrument

How far are we with the title anagrams?

So far:

Who is Jane Doe?

Taylor Shaw, the Missing Girl

Or Maybe not.

The Past will Cloud our Eyes,

Trust no One, Suspect Everyone

1.09 - Authentic Flirt

1.10 - Evil Handmade Instrument

Each section sort of compliments each other.

According to the article in the Media thread, #9 and 10 are:

Lift the Curtain,

and Unveil the Mastermind.

Even with the anagram server website, I haven't been good at decoding these! The only word I got right on my last attempts was "mastrmind".

Next 2 episodes:

"CEASE FORCING ENEMY"

02/29/2016 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : THE TEAM FOLLOWS A DANGEROUS CASE OVERSEAS. Jane reels from a series of massive revelations about her tattoos and grapples with whether to trust Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud). Meanwhile, a tattoo leads the team to a shocking discovery in the Black Sea.
Also starring Sullivan Stapleton, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, Ashley Johnson and Ukweli Roach.
Guest starring John Hodgman, Sakina Jaffrey, David Alexander Hernandez and Johnny Whitworth.

"SCIENTISTS HOLLOW FORTUNE"

03/07/2016 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : THE TEAM UNCOVERS A RECKLESS EXPERIMENT. After a disturbed Iraq War vet shoots up a military base, the team exposes a sinister plot. As Jane and Weller race to stop a single-minded scientist, Jane recalls her own mysterious military past and contemplates a new relationship with Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud).

Also starring Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, Ashley Johnson and Ukweli Roach.

Guest starring Jordana Spiro, Jay O. Sanders and Gaius Charles

There must be some misunderstanding about them not doing the anagram titles anymore, they still are. Maybe they meant for next season.

I didn't figure these out myself:

1.11 - CEASE FORCING ENEMY = In Case of Emergency

1.12 - SCIENTISTS HOLLOW FORTUNE = Follow These Instructions

1.13 - ERASE WEARY YOUTH = Stay Where You Are

1.14 - RULES IN DEFIANCE = Find a Secure Line ?

(edited)

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/blindspot/listings/

"ERASE WEARY YOUTH"

03/14/2016 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) : A MOLE IS DISCOVERED WITHIN THE FBI
After a tip reveals there's a mole within the FBI's New York Office, the team must hunt for the operative while facing extreme scrutiny from Inspector Fischer (guest star John Hodgman). The team's deepest secrets threaten to be exposed, and everyone is a potential suspect - but some, especially Jane Doe have more to hide.

Guest starring Jordana Spiro, Erinn Ruth, Trieste Kelly Dunn and Francois Arnaud.

"RULES IN DEFIANCE"

03/21/2016 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) : OUR TEAM CONFRONTS SOME CORRUPT I.C.E. AGENTS.

An anonymous tip leads the team to investigate an urgent death row case, ultimately sending Zapata undercover. After nearly getting caught during the mole hunt, Jane considers leaving the FBI.

Also starring Sullivan Stapleton, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Rob Brown, Ashley Johnson and Ukweli Roach. Guest starring Jordana Spiro, Trieste Kelly Dunn, Aaron Abrams and Rosa Arredondo.

Edited by Trini

I think this one is "To Contact Your Handler"

"OLDER CUTTHROAT CANYON"

03/28/2016

SOMEONE IS OUT TO KILL THE TEAM

After a painting featuring one of Jane's tattoos is heisted from a gallery, the team discovers Jane (Jaimie Alexander) is the real target. In order to protect her team, Jane goes AWOL.

Also starring Sullivan Stapleton, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, Ashley Johnson and Ukweli Roach. Guest starring Jordana Spiro, Francois Arnaud and Tom Lipinski.

Something about the Soviet sleeper agent/s. Somebody here is probably another sleeper or in on it with Jane's crew. Weller as a sleeper? His dad? Is somebody coming back from the dead next week?

Too far a leap or could the CIA guy have been in on with Jane's handler acting out an escape? He disappears if nothing else no matter what happens. How did they dispose of the body again?

1.11 - CEASE FORCING ENEMY = In Case of Emergency

1.12 - SCIENTISTS HOLLOW FORTUNE = Follow These Instructions

1.13 - ERASE WEARY YOUTH = Stay Where You Are

1.14 - RULES IN DEFIANCE = Find a Secure Line ?

1.15 - OLDER CUTTHROAT CANYON = Contact your handler to

1.16 - ANY WOUNDED THIEF = Find what you need

1.17 - MANS TELEPATHIC LOYAL LOOKOUTS = In almost the last place you look

1.18 - ONE BEGETS TECHNIQUE = To begin the sequence

1.19 - IN THE COMET OF US = Focus on the time

1.20 - SWIFT HARDHEARTED STONE = Then head first road west

These are the best guesses so far as I can find.

Next episodes:

"ONE BEGETS TECHNIQUE" [1.18]

04/18/2016

JANE AND WELLER WORK WITH AN UNLIKELY ALLY TO TAKE DOWN AN INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL

In order to capture a dangerous international criminal, Jane (Jaimie Alexander) and Weller (Sullivan Stapleton) are forced to collaborate with the only person he will meet: their former target, Rich DotCom (guest star Ennis Esmer). Jane must decide whether to risk hurting Weller by executing a morally questionable order from Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud).

"IN THE COMET OF US" [1.19]

04/25/2016

THE TEAM RACES TO STOP AN ACTIVE SHOOTING ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS

When a school shooting breaks out during the investigation of a tattoo, the team splits up to take down the shooter. Mayfair (Marianne Jean-Baptiste) copes with some issues from her past.

"SWIFT HARDHEARTED STONE" [1.20]

05/02/2016

THE TEAM PROTECTS A YOUNG GIRL WITH TIES TO A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

When a mysterious young girl with a tattoo connection falls into Borden's (Ukweli Roach) care, he brings her case to the FBI team-- but her ties to a terrorist organization prove dangerous for all of them. Meanwhile, a conflicted Jane (Jaimie Alexander) starts to grow close to Weller (Sullivan Stapleton) again, and friendship blossoms between Borden and Patterson (Ashley Johnson).

About the title anagrams; from the producer:

“The first 10 episodes were just a fun thing we did,” Gero tells TVLine of the mixed-up monikers, “but from Episode 11 to Episode 23, that is actually a message to fans. As they figure it out, they can get involved in the Blindspot universe in a very first-person way.”

Using the episode titles from Feb. 29 through the May 23 season ender, fans can decode a message that, according to Gero, tells viewers who to contact in case of an emergency. And tonight’s installment (NBC, 10/9c) — the 19th of the season — will unlock a major piece of the puzzle.

“You’re definitely going to want to watch Episode 19, and you’re definitely going to want to watch through Episode 23,” Gero hints. “All of the information is in there for how you could potentially contact your handler. I really want them to figure it out on their own.”

And the first comment on that page has the unscrambled titles. He seems to suggest that the message ties into the plot of 1.19. I hope so.

• Love 1

Episode descriptions for 1.21 and 1.22:

"OF WHOSE UNEASY ROUTE"

05/09/2016

THE FBI IS HACKED AND GOES ON LOCKDOWN
The FBI is locked down when criminal hackers infiltrate the building, trapping the team inside SIOC. As they fight their way out, the close quarters force Mayfair (Marianne Jean-Baptiste) Zapata (Audrey Esparza), Reade (Rob Brown), and Sarah (guest star Jordana Spiro) to confront personal conflicts. Also starring Sullivan Stapleton, Jaimie Alexander, Ashley Johnson and Ukweli Roach.

"IF LOVE A REBEL, DEATH WILL RENDER"

05/16/2016

THE TEAM RACES TO SAVE INNOCENT NEWBORNS
After an abandoned baby is found with a tattoo identical to one of Jane's (Jaimie Alexander), the team races to piece together the child's identity and save dozens of infants. A furious Jane confronts Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud) about the outcome of his secret missions. Also starring Sullivan Stapleton, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, Ashley Johnson and Ukweli Roach. Jay O. Sanders and Dylan Baker guest star.

Season finale:

"WHY AWAIT LIFE'S END"

05/23/2016 (

SEEKING THE TRUTH IN THE SHOCKING FIRST SEASON FINALE
Weller (Sullivan Stapleton) searches for the truth within a heartbreaking and confounding assertion. Jane (Jaimie Alexander) reaches out to a former suspect (guest star Aimee Carrero) for help with Oscar (guest star Francois Arnaud). Meanwhile, the rest of the team struggle to help a friend...
Also starring Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, Ashley Johnson and Ukweli Roach.

Ask Ausiello at TV Line:

Question: Anything on Blindspot? —Monika
Ausiello: In Season 2, we will See. Jane. Shrink. The NBC drama, which wisely just snatched Archie Panjabi off the open market, is looking for an actress age 9 to 11 to play “Young Jane” in a series of flashback sequences to be spread out over the course of the season. Producers are specifically looking for candidates who possess a background in gymnastics or martial arts and can execute a flawless South African accent and look like a miniature Jaimie Alexander. Easy peasy!

I've wanted more info on Jane's childhood from the start; I guess we'll get it next season, finally!

EW Spoiler Room:

Anything on the new season of Blindspot? — Catherine

I’m hearing there will be a three-month time jump during the premiere. The season-opener will also feature flashbacks to some of Jane’s training that will prepare her for what she’ll be facing during those intervening months. Make of that what you will.  

I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand it'll be nice to skip Weller's emotional meltdown and jump right into far more interesting storylines. On the other hand, arresting your lead during the season finale and then doing a time jump during the next season's premiere feels...like a cop-out? (Ultimately I'm fine with it but still...)

EW Spoiler Room, July 8:

Now that Jane has uncovered more about her identity, season 2 will take on different themes. “It will surprise you not at all that the themes are redemption and family,” EP Martin Gero says. He also reveals the show will explore why Jane would join the mysterious group behind her tattoos within the first two episodes of the new season.

TV Guide:

When we last saw Jane on Blindspot, she was being handcuffed and taken into FBI custody. She won't stay there for long, but unfortunately, that's only because there's a larger threat looming - and this time, her former friends at the FBI aren't there to protect her.

Season 2 picks up after a three-month time jump, during which some familiar faces have returned to Jane's world - and they're not all friendly. One of the folks who pops up is Cade (Tom Lipinski), the unhinged former member of Jane and Oscar's group. He's still got Jane in his crosshairs, and this time around, he's unlikely to miss.

Blindspot taps Garret Dillahunt for guest spot

The Raising Hope and Justified alum will play Travis, an Iraq war veteran who spent years running from his problems and is now suffering the consequences. On a chance encounter with Special Agent Reade (Rob Brown), the two men bond, and Travis encourages Reade not to make the same mistakes.

Dillahunt, whose recent TV credits include The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, will appear in the April 5 episode,...

• Love 1

Next two episode descriptions:

"REGARD A MERE MAD RAGER"

04/26/2017

HUNT FOR CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS -- Jane (Jaimie Alexander) and Weller (Sullivan Stapleton) go undercover on a high-stakes scavenger hunt run by powerful hackers. Shepherd (Michelle Hurd) journeys to Thailand to procure a dangerous weapon.

TV-14 V

"IN WORDS, DROWN I"

05/03/2017

ZAPATA GOES TO JAIL - Zapata's (Audrey Esparza) transgressions catch up to her, sending her to jail alongside a potentially powerful Sandstorm asset named Devon (guest star Ronda Rousey.) Weller (Sullivan Stapleton) and the team must go to exceptional lengths to help Zapata out.

TV-14 L, V

4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Oh wow... it'll be good, story-wise, but I really enjoyed Roman and Jane's relationship/chemistry so I'm sad they're enemies now. I'm both surprised and not surprised that Rich Dot Com's a regular now. His last couple of appearances were enjoyable but I'm worried this will be way too much... but I'm open to it, and it's cool that he seems to be officially Team FBI now.

I was going to say "boo" to them spoiling that everyone was OK but I think they're playing with the timeline, going between before the team being kidnapped and after. I was wondering how they'd keep the show going now that they solved a lot of the original story... I think this looks pretty good.

• Love 1

Rich Dot Com will be recurring. Martin Gero said he'll be in at east half of this season eps. I love his character. Besides the last 3 episodes of the season? His eppys were my fave. 

PS: those trailers were so good and made me super excited for the season 

• Love 1

I'm just glad he did not get killed off by the end of last season in order to redeem the character. Luke Mitchell has been terrific and I'm sure he continues to do so as villain although I do hope the writers throw some ambivalence in there as well.

Someone help a sister out.  Did they ever explain what happened to Roman's tattoo?  Did I miss something? It was there at the end of Season 2(?) and then just gone at the start of Season 3(?).  I also don't remember seeing it any any flashbacks.

(Also, I didn't know where the hell else to put this.)

Edited by Lemur