Type keyword(s) to search

Wicked City - General Discussion

• Start Topic

thanks to your (entertaining) review, I now can avoid this, as I do most network TV. They have been advertising this a lot on mobile games and online, and every time I saw it I wondered how "edgy" it could really be when it's on broadcast? They can't challenge what audience they have left with something "confusing" lol

• Love 2

One of the cops is the perennially likable Jeremy Sisto (in his roughly 575925th law enforcement role);

LOL! I probably going to not like this show, but I am only there for Ed Westwick.... Lame reason, but oh well....;-x

Oh, now I just want to watch Copycat.

I remember watching Copycat for the first + only time when I was a kid because this was chosen for "Family Movie Night" + scared the shit out of me.... But, my top biggest fears is serial killers....

Not going to lie - when I first saw the early promos for this show, the music drew me in.

Are they going to be able to keep this up through a full season? I lost track of how many songs they played from the 1980s. And I have to say - were they all from the 1982 and earlier? Did they stick to that timeline, or are they playing fast and loose?

• Love 1

I tuned in for Jeremy Sisto. And while the nostalgia factor was nice (even if I was only turning 10 in 1982, yes I'm old!) and the choice of music was good...I spaced about halfway through. It didn't really grab me, obviously.

But pilots are often rough, so I may give it another shot. We'll see.

Seems like Sisto's character has joined the legion of jaded messed up cops on TV, per his own words. Including cheating on his wife. But it's a TV Trope Favorite, so no surprise.

As I said, I was a kid in 1982, but were beepers so prevalent in the early '80s or was that an anachronism? I swore they came a bit later on.

All I got.

• Love 2

Jeremy Sisto and Ed Westwick drew me in (EW was my favorite part about GG, and well JS is JS!)

And I loved it! the pilot lived up to the promos promise.

That was a pretty solid pilot, could it go south from here? sure. But I hope not, it has potential and both Ed and Erika did a great job, they have some solid chemistry.

i'm in for now.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 10

Well, Dancing With Myself and White Wedding came out in 1981/1982, but Dancing With Myself is said to be 1983, so that one is a bit wrong.

Pat Benatar's Heartbreaker was from 1979, so that was accurate! As was Joan Jett's "Crimson and Clover" remake, which was in 1982.

So it seems like the show is trying to stay at least close to the right year with some slight leeway.

I'm in for the foreseeable future. I am a true crime junkie, and I'm curious to see the parallels to other cases. The birth of the modern true crime era came from the west coast in the 1980s, after all!

I like a lot of the actors who are appearing, and I think Ed Westwick has it in him to be a sociopath on screen. I also want to see what Erika Christensen can do, and well, Jeremy Sisto.....Yeah. I'll watch pretty much anything with him in it.

• Love 8

Interesting pilot.  I tuned in for Ed Westwick (Chuck Bass as a serial killer?  yes please!), and was reasonably entertained but I don't known if the rest of the cast can hold my attention for an entire season.  I did enjoy the Best of the 80s soundtrack though, so the music alone might get me to stick it out for a while since I'm already tuned into ABC on Tuesday nights anyway.  

• Love 2

I am not familiar with either of the men who seem to be the draw for folks tuning in, but I thought it was interesting and will be watching.  I need to go back and catch the beginning through On Demand though because I missed the first few minutes.

I think the problem here was not the concept or the cast-everyone acted their roles well with the material they were given, and I do love the "Bonnie and Clyde" element. I think this show has potential and could be fun. The writing was very cliche-ridden and conventional, and I think that's what probably turned people off. With that being said, I'm hesitant to judge purely based on the writing of the pilot because as has been proven to me by many shows (Once Upon a Time, for example), some shows take awhile to hit their stride and find their legs. I just hope that in the coming weeks we see improvement otherwise it'll be cancelled. And Ed Westwick was the shining star of the premiere. I thought he did an excellent job. I'd love to see him in another successful series. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the writers table gets more creative.

I actually enjoyed the pilot and think they did a great job with the casting. Erika Christensen really brought the crazy in Swimfan, so I could see her character becoming really interesting. Ed Westwick is quite believable as a psychopathic killer, too. Also, I can't believe we're the same age in real life. To me, he just comes across as older than 28.

I'll concede that the plot seems a bit generic, but I think this show has potential and want to see more, especially with the killer (hah) soundtrack.

• Love 5

As a Tuesday night crime drama, I was satisfied enough to come back next week.  Decent acting and good chemistry, ok plots, awesome music and excellent fashion.  

And since we're back in the 80's, there are so many current references and technology that just can't be used.  So just now many "new" concepts and plot points can be reasonably expected?   

I may be easily entertained, but I'm in.  

• Love 5
As I said, I was a kid in 1982, but were beepers so prevalent in the early '80s or was that an anachronism? I swore they came a bit later on.

I was 12 in 1982, and my recollection of 1982 was that if you had a beeper, you were either a doctor or a drug dealer. The average person on the street did not carry one. I really only remember those being popular in the 90's. I had one for a short time in 1996, and that was it for me as far as that trend went. Which was fine as by then it was already dying out.

• Love 1

I watched for Sisto and Westwick as well.

And I was doing tech support such as it was back then in the 80's and had a pager --it would beep and I'd have to run around like a maniac to find a payphone to call whoever it was back.    

I liked it enough to watch again.

• Love 4

I watched for Westwick and Christenson. It was okay. I'll probably give it a couple of more episodes. I'm curious as to how Kent will get Betty to join his killing spree.

I do wonder why Betty didn't drop him like a hot potato when he asked her to play dead so that he could get it up and get off. The butcher knife in the bedroom didn't help matters either. He could've just untied her restraints. Was she that desperate or just into kinky stuff? Or was it a combination of both?

Is the guy whose playing Karen's sidekick Diana Ross' son? It kind of looks like him.

Like I said, I'm mildly intrigued.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

Is the guy whose playing Karen's sidekick Diana Ross' son? It kind of looks like him.

Yes, it's Evan Ross.  Otherwise known as Mr. Ashlee Simpson. He's becoming a fairly decent actor.  And he's got a great name: Diver Hawkes. 

And this series is supposedly only 10 episodes long, so they can't get too carried away.  Or maybe they can.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2
Yes, it's Evan Ross.  Otherwise known as Mr. Ashlee Simpson. He's becoming a fairly decent actor.  And he's got a great name: Diver Hawkes.

Acting, rather than music, must run in the family. Evan Ross' half-sister, Tracee Ellis Ross, plays the wife on Blackish. I believe another sister, Rhonda, acted on the daytime soap, Another World in the '90s, too.

• Love 1

Yes, very good choice of music, but I hate it when a show almost looks and sounds like a music video because the songs are too much too often.

FOX tv show Empire is sooooooooooooo guilty of this! With regards to this show, I thought it was just OK, aside from excessive music. The plot is kinda generic though and I'm hoping for some cleverness in the writing as it moves forward. Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

I really liked it.  Much better than Aquarius.  I love the Sisto guy. He's so sexy to me.  But, didn't he jump into the shower with the undercover lady stripper and then later go home to wife and kid?  Oh no....

• Love 2

Not hooked, but I'll stick with it for a few episodes. Agree with the comments re: too much music. Strange watching people making calls on wired phones and hearing beepers beeping. Can't there ever be a cop show where partners actually like/trust each other.

FOX tv show Empire is sooooooooooooo guilty of this!  With regards to this show, I thought it was OK, aside from excessive music.  The plot is kinda generic though and I'm hoping for some cleverness in the writing as it moves forward.

I agree, but Empire, as well as Nashville, are shows about the music business, so IMHO they can be "excused". Although, I must confess that my forward button sees a lot of action during those shows.

Hoping too that some cleverness will come in the next episodes of WC.

I watched some of this last night.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either.

First, I couldn't believe any woman in their right mind would go anywhere with Ed Westwick, he looks like a boy, stunted, like a Hobbit.  I can see a woman getting in trouble with Jeremy Sisto, though, so I'll watch the show for him.  

How is this called "true crime" if it's not about an actual serial killer?

I can't decide yet if I like it. I like law and order and I recognize Jeremy Sisto from that, but this show is a lot more gruesome so far and I'm not sure if I'm up for watching more gross sex scenes. We'll see.

Having Jeremy Sisto hook up with that woman and then later turn out to have a wife and kid - they stole that from the Mad Men pilot.

Where did Karen go during the ending club scene? Dude, if you just found out a serial killer is targeting you, stay near the cop!

I don't know when they came out, but I imagine cops (and drug dealers) might have had them before the general public. Were they prevalent in this episode with anyone else? Edited by LeGrandElephant

I do wonder why Betty didn't drop him like a hot potato when he asked her to play dead so that he could get it up and get off. The butcher knife in the bedroom didn't help matters either. He could've just untied her restraints. Was she that desperate or just into kinky stuff? Or was it a combination of both?

She had plenty of opportunities to realize he was off and dump him. I think the implication of her reactions to him was that she's into the kinky stuff and she likes that he's dangerous. And I think her killing the spider and pulling the stitches a little too hard on that old patient were supposed to show she has a sadistic streak. But, I do wonder how fast this is supposed to progress - is she going to go from mildly kinky sex to murder in one day? Or are they just going to have an awkward threesome with that girl they took home and scare her, but not kill her this time, while he slowly builds up with that with Betty?

• Love 2

She had plenty of opportunities to realize he was off and dump him. I think the implication of her reactions to him was that she's into the kinky stuff and she likes that he's dangerous. And I think her killing the spider and pulling the stitches a little too hard on that old patient were supposed to show she has a sadistic streak. But, I do wonder how fast this is supposed to progress - is she going to go from mildly kinky sex to murder in one day? Or are they just going to have an awkward threesome with that girl they took home and scare her, but not kill her this time, while he slowly builds up with that with Betty?

I'm under the impression she's crazy in her own right, he is the catalyst that unleashes her.

• Love 6

I'm in for the foreseeable future. I am a true crime junkie, and I'm curious to see the parallels to other cases. The birth of the modern true crime era came from the west coast in the 1980s, after all!

I like a lot of the actors who are appearing, and I think Ed Westwick has it in him to be a sociopath on screen. I also want to see what Erika Christensen can do, and well, Jeremy Sisto.....Yeah. I'll watch pretty much anything with him in it.

I feel the same way. I can't get enough of ID, so true crime stories are right up my alley. While I didn't see every GG episode, I did like Ed on that show. Like many others here, I'll watch Jeremy Sisto in everything.

I really loved the music choices for the show. I have every song in my music library.

I'll be sticking around to see how this show unfolds. It's tough for any new show to gain a little ground out of the starting gate when it's running up against the World Series and three other sports.

• Love 3

The one thing that really interests me about the show is the female killer. It's probably why I enjoyed season 5 of Dexter and why many of my favorite episodes of Criminal Minds are with female unsubs. Hey I'm a feminist. If a woman wants to be a serial killer why shouldn't she be?

I'm under the impression she's crazy in her own right, he is the catalyst that unleashes her.

Sometimes all it takes is meeting the right person and boom!  All your dark scary impulses come out.    She might already have a dark side that she occasionally let out at her work but when she meets Jeremy he shows her a whole new world.  

FOX tv show Empire is sooooooooooooo guilty of this!  With regards to this show, I thought it was OK, aside from excessive music.  The plot is kinda generic though and I'm hoping for some cleverness in the writing as it moves forward.

It depends on the show and why they use it.  The show is supposed to be the 80's and music does have a certain way of bringing back that era it was made..   One of my favorite shows The Americans does the same thing they have news programs and 80's music run through it as another way to show the time the show is set in.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I have no problem with the idea that a woman would be a sadist, or murderer. But I find it a bit unbelievable that she would go from zero to sixty so fast. If she has such a sadistic streak, I would expect her to be picking on her own kids, but she was shown being nice to them and teaching them to be nice. Sure, she crushed the spider, but lots of people kill spiders without a second thought, so that doesn't really rank as a serial killer warning sign the way killing a pet would.

They did their homework.  The sign outside the Whiskey in the first few minutes of the show advertised Mickey Ratt which was Ratt's original name and they played the Whiskey many times in the early 80's.  They actually dropped the "Mickey" in 1981 but I'm willing to cut them some slack on the year just for pulling out that little detail.  I also liked the way they showed the bands onstage without actually focusing on them so you could almost believe that was Ratt or Billy Idol on stage.

They didn't cheap out at all with the music and I really appreciate that.  This is the soundtrack of my early teens and I will always love it.  As a matter of fact, I still listen to most of it today.

Edited by LadyCassandra
  • Love 2

And this series is supposedly only 10 episodes long, so they can't get too carried away.  Or maybe they can.

Exactly, it's supposed to wrap up at the end, the plan is to do an anthology if it does well.