Type keyword(s) to search

Westworld In The Media

• Start Topic

Colossus: The Forbin Project, A Clockwork Orange, THX 1138, The Andromeda Strain, Silent Running, Solaris, Slaughterhouse-Five, Westworld, Soylent Green, Fantastic Planet, Dark Star, The Terminal Man, Logan's Run, Rollerball, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Demon Seed, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Alien...  and probably others I've forgotten, right now.

These are formative Sci-fi from the 70's era.  There are many others to enjoy, but these are absolute must-see movies.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Franky said:

Close Encounters was brilliant and beautiful.

John Carpenter's The Thing- classic

Planet of the Apes films. I know they started in 68 but the franchise kept going into the next decade. I was obsessed.

Alien. Alien, Alien, Alien.

Andromeda Strain

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Interesting how many of these contain elements found in Westworld:

The Thing - People in a remote location, surrounded by others who may not be what they seem.

Planet of the Apes - Human rule on earth threatened by another intelligent life form.

Alien/Aliens - A corporation with its own agenda, which is at odds with the central characters.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Who is human and who isn't? Plus, again, human rule threatened.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Colossus: The Forbin Project, A Clockwork Orange, THX 1138, The Andromeda Strain, Silent Running, Solaris, Slaughterhouse-Five, Westworld, Soylent Green, Fantastic Planet, Dark Star, The Terminal Man, Logan's Run, Rollerball, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Demon Seed, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Alien...  and probably others I've forgotten, right now.

These are formative Sci-fi from the 70's era.  There are many others to enjoy, but these are absolute must-see movies.

Ohhh, Fantastic Planet! I had forgotten all about that movie. It was haunting to me, sad, brutal and beautiful at the same time, even though I only remember images and not much of the plot, it still resonates today in my memory. Kinda like a host I guess. I vaguely remember blue people and some kind of slave uprising.

Edited by spottedreptile
  • Love 1
On 12/3/2016 at 8:00 PM, Franky said:

Close Encounters was brilliant and beautiful.

John Carpenter's The Thing- classic

Planet of the Apes films. I know they started in 68 but the franchise kept going into the next decade. I was obsessed.

Alien. Alien, Alien, Alien.

Andromeda Strain

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

If you like these, and the WestWorld original movie, I'd also suggest Logan's Run as a fun '70s "idea" movie.

• Love 2

Jimmi Simpson guessed before anyone else:

What did you notice?

Well, I was with an amazing makeup artist, Christian, and he was looking at my face too much. He had me in his chair, and he was just looking at my face, and then he said something about my eyebrows. “Would you be cool if we just took a couple hairs out of your eyebrows, made them not quite as arched?” It was simply that, Joanna. It was that.

Just that?

I was like, “Why would they change my eyebrows? Why in the world?” I started thinking the one reason was to make me look like someone else, and then I cycled through the Rolodex of the main players. There’s only one that really fit my look and dialect. They didn’t reveal any of that to any of us until about [episode] eight, nine, or ten officially. This was probably seven months before I was supposed to know this, but I just said to Lisa, “Am I supposed to be Ed Harris?” She just froze and said, “I can‘t say anything, but I will say you have a hell of an arc this season.”

[...]

Were you tempted to talk to any of your co-stars about it, about your idea of what was going on? Did Evan know?

I was so close with everyone that I didn’t want anyone to start treating me differently on the show. Not that the actors would fall prey to that, but I didn’t want them thinking, or considering the fact, or weighing the fact out. I didn’t discuss it with a single person. Not a single person. Also, Lisa and Jonah, when they say, “don’t say anything,” you don’t feel like they’re trying to box you in. You feel like, “This is probably best for everyone.”

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, okerry said:

If you like these, and the WestWorld original movie, I'd also suggest Logan's Run as a fun '70s "idea" movie.

Oh yes. I was a huge Michael York fan from the Richard Lester Musketeer (D'Artagnan!) movies so I definitely loved Logan's Run. 

Even though it was in 1985, anyone who liked any of the above should also check out Enemy Mine if you haven't seen it. 

• Love 1

LOL - Aeden the ChatBot is back to normal again - too normal. I asked him if anything was wrong at WestWorld and he said, "That doesn't sound like anything to me. Can I help you plan your trip to WestWorld?"

• Love 2

Either the humans have regain a measure of control and Samurai World is a go while Westworld is being reordered or the hosts are setting a trap to lure more humans in for elimination.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 1

Thrilled that Westworld got that Globe nod; and ones for both Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton too; but I was surprised the men didn't get any.  Especially it being the Globes, who are known to love the big stars, I would have thought Anthony Hopkins would be a shoe-in.  Then again, the supporting categories at the Globes tend to get overcrowded (since it combines Drama, Mini-series, etc), so maybe it will be different come Emmy time.

Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton both won best actress and best supporting actress at the Critics Choice Awards last night, respectfully.  Golden Globes better not screw them over.  Hell, The Emmys better not screw them over.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton both won best actress and best supporting actress at the Critics Choice Awards last night, respectfully.  Golden Globes better not screw them over.  Hell, The Emmys better not screw them over.

Meh. I don't really care whether some awards show gives them the nod or not. Westworld's first season won a place in my heart. I just hope they don't mess it up next season :-)

Edited by phoenyx
  • Love 2

EXCLUSIVE: How 'Boardwalk Empire' Led Jeffrey Wright to Say Yes to 'Westworld'

In addition to discussing the movie vs. television issue for actors, Wright offers some great insight into how/what/when information is divulged on a show this complicated.  Some things he knew all along; others he didn't (to the point where his script had a redacted scene).

It reminded me of @arc's post upthread, about how Jimmi Simpson only guessed his character's secret based on the knowledge of the makeup team.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, netlyon2 said:

EXCLUSIVE: How 'Boardwalk Empire' Led Jeffrey Wright to Say Yes to 'Westworld'

In addition to discussing the movie vs. television issue for actors, Wright offers some great insight into how/what/when information is divulged on a show this complicated.  Some things he knew all along; others he didn't (to the point where his script had a redacted scene).

It reminded me of @arc's post upthread, about how Jimmi Simpson only guessed his character's secret based on the knowledge of the makeup team.

Great article, thanks :-)

• Love 1

I was lucky to attend a SAG-AFTRA foundation screening and Q&A with Jeffery Wright on Monday eve. He was engaging and insightful in his comments. I don't know how to link, but if you go to the SAG-Aftra foundation's YouTube page, you can find the talkback. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Emmy nominations:

Best Drama

Drama Actress - Evan Rachel Wood

Drama Actor - Anthony Hopkins

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Jeffrey Wright

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Thandie Newton

Directing for a Drama Series - Jonathan Nolan (“The Bicameral Mind”)

Writing for a Drama Series - Lisa Joy & Jonathan Nolan (“The Bicameral Mind”)

Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More) - Zack Grobler, Steve Christensen & Julie Ochipinti

Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More) - Nathan Crowley, Naaman Marshall & Julie Ochipinti

Casting for a Drama Series - John Papsidera

Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - Paul Cameron

Period/ Fantasy Costumes for a Series, Limited Series, or Movie - Trish Summerville, Lynda Foote & Jo Kissack Folsom

Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series - Andrew Seklir

Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series - Joey Zapata, Pavy Olivarez, Bruce Samia & Donna Anderson

Creative Achievement in Interactive Media Within a Scripted Program  - HBO, Kilter Films & Bad Robot (“Westworld”)

OUTSTANDING MAIN TITLE DESIGN

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A SINGLE-CAMERA SERIES (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING PROSTHETIC MAKEUP FOR A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES, MOVIE OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING ORIGINAL MAIN TITLE THEME MUSIC

OUTSTANDING SOUND EDITING FOR A SERIES

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A COMEDY OR DRAMA SERIES (ONE HOUR)

OUTSTANDING SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

It sucks that we have to wait for 2018 but, that trailer looks awesome.

I'm really curious as to what is going to happen in this war. I know it's premature but the Bernard stuff in the trailer has me thinking he's the one I'll end up connecting with this season.

Interview with Evan Rachel Wood; please note, there are spoiler-y hints, so if you want to stay completely unspoiled, don't click the link!

Over the course of the sci-fi Western's riveting first season, viewers came to learn all about Dolores' central role in the titular theme park's sprawling mythology. As the park's oldest host, Dolores was already iconic in her own right. But the character took on new meaning (and a new personality) as the series revealed her as the avatar of Wyatt, a murderous personality with a mind toward violent revolution.

Emmy wins for Westworld!

Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series - Episode: "Contrapasso"
Outstanding Creative Achievement In Interactive Media Within A Scripted Program - DiscoverWestworld.com
Outstanding Make-up for a Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) - Episode: "The Original"
Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour) - Episode: "The Bicameral Mind"
Outstanding Special Visual Effects - Episode: "The Bicameral Mind"

• Love 1

Great.  Now I'm going to have to record the entire Superbowl game (which I have no plans on watching) just to see that trailer, which the article says promises to be very special.  Why couldn't they air the trailer on Puppy Bowl?  It would be a lot cheaper, I'm sure.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Great.  Now I'm going to have to record the entire Superbowl game (which I have no plans on watching) just to see that trailer, which the article says promises to be very special.  Why couldn't they air the trailer on Puppy Bowl?  It would be a lot cheaper, I'm sure.

I'll have to wait until HBO posts it as we don't get the ads up here in the far north. Here's hoping it's got some good footage in addition to the ad-only footage.

Yep, it's official.

The Super Bowl played host to a new teaser for HBO’s sci-fi drama Westworld. The ad was directed by series co-creator Jonathan Nolan. This marks HBO’s first Super Bowl ad in 20 years. Westworld‘s 10-episode second season will premiere on April 22.

Not much was revealed in the teaser trailer which featured a voiceover of Evan Rachel Wood’s Dolores backed by a cover of Kanye West’s “Runaway.” We see gorgeous landscapes of what seems to be Westworld, but it eventually goes into vignettes of robotic bulls and dramatic chaos.

• Love 1

Did anyone see this whole trailer during the game?  Because what I recorded off the air at around 8pm Central was about only 15-20 seconds of this.  I played it more than once because I thought "Is that all there is after all the buildup?"  And what I had only said April, nothing more specific.