Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Kingdom - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Was everyone there talking about it? So you thought you should watch it? Lol

I went to Scotland this past June- yes it was beautiful! 

No, I wanted to see more of the scenery, basically. LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, Cdh20 said:

Does anyone else go on vacations inspired by their fave shows? 

I once visited Shrewsbury, somewhat inspired by the Brother Cadfael stories of Ellis Peters, though I can't say I remember much of it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This was very nicely written. Impending doom but not too on the nose. Poor Uthred jr. How did he get there? If this was actually filmed in Iceland, I  really want to visit.

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 1

I'm trying to remember what Brida went through to have some compassion. Carrying on with the man who killed the love of her life. Having his child. Wanting to die to see Ragnarson again. No wonder she found religion in a big and bad way. I'm guessing the seer girl is Knut's daughter? I guess Uthred is the last guy still alive she feels betrayed by. 

Poor Aethelfled. That hurt. Both from Uthred and her flighty daughter. 

Let's follow the turds!

• Like 1

I'm glad Edward isn't  a complete idiot when it comes to his papa in law. It certainly helps to have a sneaky mistress who keeps her ears and eyes open.

Poor Aethelfled. She does not look good. Poor Aldhelm. Forever in the friendzone. I hope Sigtryggr will actually be able to chop off his weasley brother's head off in the end. Leaving it up to the gods might help. Stiorra did well. I'm glad Uthred didn't get mad at Finan.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

I'm glad Edward isn't  a complete idiot when it comes to his papa in law. It certainly helps to have a sneaky mistress who keeps her ears and eyes open.

Poor Aethelfled. She does not look good. Poor Aldhelm. Forever in the friendzone. I hope Sigtryggr will actually be able to chop off his weasley brother's head off in the end. Leaving it up to the gods might help. Stiorra did well. I'm glad Uthred didn't get mad at Finan.

I don't remember what this is referring to, but Finan is Uhtred's ride-or-die.  If they ever got mad at each other, they'd both be in big trouble with no one to watch each other's backs.  (Yes, Sihtric, but Finan is Uhtred's #1.)

• Like 3

The last scene with Uthred and Aethelfled was beautiful. Not sure interspersing the with the scenes with Brida and Pyrlig made much sense to me. I am wondering where Brida's head is at now. 

I didn't expect Edward to do that! Although, 2 birds with one stone, I guess. Make sure his papa in law dosen't get the upper hand and ensure he has control over Mercia.

24 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't remember what this is referring to, but Finan is Uhtred's ride-or-die.  If they ever got mad at each other, they'd both be in big trouble with no one to watch each other's backs.  (Yes, Sihtric, but Finan is Uhtred's #1.)

Because he didn't tell him that Aethelfled was dying until after they freed Stiorra. I would have been heartbroken if Uthred had reacted so childishly.

I really like the music this season. I notice it more then before. Overall a very sad and poignant episode.

Dreymon's acting has so much improved since the beginning.

Ugh, little brother Rognvaldr is still alive. I fear for Stiorra now.

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 2

I just finished the final season and unlike Vikings, which I initially loved and then was ready to be done with it after the slog that was S6, I am really going to miss this show.

I honest-to-goodness teared up when Uhtred was having his flashback moments at the very end of the episode.

Any word on the movie?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'll be honest here, I started watching The Last Kingdom for Ewan Mitchell.  And I haven't been disappointed in that respect.  For me, Baby Monk is the best thing about the series.  That whorehouse conversation in the 2nd episode of season 4 got watched several times; plus the notion of women fighting over Osferth at the beginning of season 5 (which I've just started) amused the living hell out of me.

But I have to say, I've come to enjoy the show for what it is.  I've liked a lot of the characters and loved to hate others (Alfred's wife, I'm looking at you).  I've enjoyed the battles, the castles and the overall production design, and most of the storylines.  I've cried over certain deaths.  (Why, Ragnar, why?????)  And since I've been slightly spoiled, I know another heart-wrenching one is coming.  Plus, Finnan rarely fails to bring the humor.

While I was a Medieval & Renaissance Studies major in college, this period was not my specialty, so I've been googling things after every episode to try and keep track of the actual history.  However, because it's not my area, I've been far less hung up on historical inaccuracy than normal for me.  Which is a good thing, because going "But it didn't really happen like that!" during movies and tv shows gets to be a downer.

I do have to confess, though, that I am so sick and fucking tired of Brida and wish Uhtred had killed her when she asked him to.  She really should've just gone away after they avenged Ragnar's death.  Her presence in season 5 is pissing me off.  Plus, how the hell did she get to Iceland and become some kind of great leader?  Oy.

• Like 6
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll be honest here, I started watching The Last Kingdom for Ewan Mitchell.  And I haven't been disappointed in that respect.  For me, Baby Monk is the best thing about the series.  That whorehouse conversation in the 2nd episode of season 4 got watched several times; plus the notion of women fighting over Osferth at the beginning of season 5 (which I've just started) amused the living hell out of me.

But I have to say, I've come to enjoy the show for what it is.  I've liked a lot of the characters and loved to hate others (Alfred's wife, I'm looking at you).  I've enjoyed the battles, the castles and the overall production design, and most of the storylines.  I've cried over certain deaths.  (Why, Ragnar, why?????)  And since I've been slightly spoiled, I know another heart-wrenching one is coming.  Plus, Finnan rarely fails to bring the humor.

While I was a Medieval & Renaissance Studies major in college, this period was not my specialty, so I've been googling things after every episode to try and keep track of the actual history.  However, because it's not my area, I've been far less hung up on historical inaccuracy than normal for me.  Which is a good thing, because going "But it didn't really happen like that!" during movies and tv shows gets to be a downer.

I do have to confess, though, that I am so sick and fucking tired of Brida and wish Uhtred had killed her when she asked him to.  She really should've just gone away after they avenged Ragnar's death.  Her presence in season 5 is pissing me off.  Plus, how the hell did she get to Iceland and become some kind of great leader?  Oy.

Its the only reason why I started watching it as well. I was getting tired of Brida too  , So glad  Stiorra killed her lol.  I was so disappointed that Eadith and Finan didn't get together .

2 hours ago, Nicmar said:

Its the only reason why I started watching it as well. I was getting tired of Brida too  , So glad  Stiorra killed her lol.  I was so disappointed that Eadith and Finan didn't get together .

I haven't gotten that far into season 5 yet.  I guess I have something to look forward to.  😉  You know, since I have that other thing to NOT look forward to.

7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I haven't gotten that far into season 5 yet.  I guess I have something to look forward to.  😉  You know, since I have that other thing to NOT look forward to.

damn I spoiled it for you 😐

2 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

damn I spoiled it for you 😐

No probs.  I spoiled all kinds of things for myself on HOTD just by looking up dragon names.  It's not like you're my coworker narrating World Cup matches as they happen, lol. 😁

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, Nicmar said:

There's a spoiler from the books regarding your last comment, if anyone wants to know.

I just got halfway through season 5, and even though I knew Osferth's death was coming, that was devastating. At least he went down fighting and his death wasn't meaningless but still, I was crying.  I hope Aethelhelm dies the slow horrible death he deserves for setting that up.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Sad 4
On 3/13/2022 at 9:50 PM, pezgirl7 said:

although I don’t know when it was revealed.

Aethelwold actually announced to all present that Osferth was Alfred's illegitimate son when Osferth first showed up and said he was Leofric's nephew.

• Like 1
On 1/30/2023 at 10:20 AM, proserpina65 said:

Aethelwold actually announced to all present that Osferth was Alfred's illegitimate son when Osferth first showed up and said he was Leofric's nephew.

is Aethelwold the drunken short blonde guy? There is so many with that type of name its confusing

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

is Aethelwold the drunken short blonde guy? There is so many with that type of name its confusing

Alfred's nephew, who thinks he's the rightful king (from season 1).  He later loses an eye... and then a lot more.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Yep, he was the nephew of Alfred who kept trying to become king instead.  Because clearly drunken, clownish and ultimately treacherous was what Wessex needed ruling it.  To be fair, I found Aethelwold to be amusing for the first 2 seasons but then he took that really dark turn in season 3 and I just wanted him dead.

I've gotten though the 7th episode of the last season, and am of mixed feelings.

Obviously I profoundly miss Osferth; not getting over his death any time soon.

I think Sigtryggr deserved better, he was a decent enough man caught up in events beyond his control.  Brida got a far cleaner death than she deserved; I knew Uhtred wouldn't be able to kill her so thank goodness Stiorra did what needed to be done.  Someone needs to kill Aethelhelm ASAP.  And honestly, they could get rid of Aelfwynn and her grandmother and I wouldn't miss them at all.  Not really sure why we need the Scottish king plotline, but I'll see where it goes.  And this probably sounds a bit weird, but I was kinda happy to see Haesten.  Who knew I'd ever miss that guy?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, he was the nephew of Alfred who kept trying to become king instead.  Because clearly drunken, clownish and ultimately treacherous was what Wessex needed ruling it.  To be fair, I found Aethelwold to be amusing for the first 2 seasons but then he took that really dark turn in season 3 and I just wanted him dead.

I've gotten though the 7th episode of the last season, and am of mixed feelings.

Obviously I profoundly miss Osferth; not getting over his death any time soon.

I think Sigtryggr deserved better, he was a decent enough man caught up in events beyond his control.  Brida got a far cleaner death than she deserved; I knew Uhtred wouldn't be able to kill her so thank goodness Stiorra did what needed to be done.  Someone needs to kill Aethelhelm ASAP.  And honestly, they could get rid of Aelfwynn and her grandmother and I wouldn't miss them at all.  Not really sure why we need the Scottish king plotline, but I'll see where it goes.  And this probably sounds a bit weird, but I was kinda happy to see Haesten.  Who knew I'd ever miss that guy?

I felt bad for Stiorra when Uhtred had to kill her husband 🙁. I thought I would take Osferth dying really hard but I took Aerthelflad's ( Queen of Mercia) death harder.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I thought I would take Osferth dying really hard but I took Aerthelflad's ( Queen of Mercia) death harder.

Aethelflaed's death was very sad and one I didn't know about ahead of time.  It hit almost as hard for me.

I think knowing that Osferth's death was coming made it worse somehow.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Aethelflaed's death was very sad and one I didn't know about ahead of time.  It hit almost as hard for me.

I think knowing that Osferth's death was coming made it worse somehow.

The show was not the same after Osferth's death 🙁

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Are you fucking kidding me?!?!  There wasn't 5 goddamned seconds to include Baby Monk in that dumbass montage at the end? UGH.

Add that insult to the utterly ridiculously bad finale and I really wish I had stopped watching after episode 5.  I will have more thoughts later when maybe I'm not so pissed off, but for now I'm too angry to say anything else.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I didn't mind the finale, although I, too, was annoyed by no mention of Osferth in the montage. I also was left confused as to how long it was taking Uhtred's youngest to get to the castle. He should have arrived before the montage was over (or maybe I missed a scene?)

For all the Baby Monk fans, here is a wonderful fan-made video:

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I didn't mind the finale, although I, too, was annoyed by no mention of Osferth in the montage. I also was left confused as to how long it was taking Uhtred's youngest to get to the castle. He should have arrived before the montage was over (or maybe I missed a scene?)

For all the Baby Monk fans, here is a wonderful fan-made video:

When Uhtred went to Hild in the next to last episode (I think it was) and got her and Haeston's help, didn't she say that Osbert wasn't there?  I think she had to go get him from somewhere else, or wait for him to return, after the battle was over. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

When Uhtred went to Hild in the next to last episode (I think it was) and got her and Haeston's help, didn't she say that Osbert wasn't there?  I think she had to go get him from somewhere else, or wait for him to return, after the battle was over. 

But she did get him at the last episode, we see them going up to the castle and then people celebrating inside and then Uhtred having his montage that should have included Baby Monk. 

The walk to the castle from the beach should have taken 10 minutes tops.

Or did I fever-dream that part?

• Like 1
On 2/9/2023 at 4:00 PM, CountryGirl said:

But she did get him at the last episode, we see them going up to the castle and then people celebrating inside and then Uhtred having his montage that should have included Baby Monk. 

The walk to the castle from the beach should have taken 10 minutes tops.

Or did I fever-dream that part?

She did, you didn't dream it.  But I guess we don't know if that was really simultaneous with their post-battle celebration or not. 

I think they took artistic license there.  There's a movie that's already been filmed, just waiting for release, that will wrap it all up.  That long walk down the beach is one of the cliffhangers for the movie. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/10/2023 at 7:01 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

That long walk down the beach is one of the cliffhangers for the movie. 😉

Then I shall just have to imagine Hild and Osbert walking down the entire coast of England for the rest of their lives, I guess.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Then I shall just have to imagine Hild and Osbert walking down the entire coast of England for the rest of their lives, I guess.

Sorry to hear that you didn't care for the show enough to watch the movie.  I, on the other hand, can't wait!!

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Sorry to hear that you didn't care for the show enough to watch the movie.  I, on the other hand, can't wait!!

The ending left too much of a sour taste for me,  but I don't have Netflix anyway.  I hope those looking forward to the movie enjoy it though. 

• Like 1

I wasn't going to watch this season but I figured I  had nothing else to do being home bound and I have to say I really enjoyed it.  I'm so glad Our Lady of the Perpetual Braid  actually had somethnig constructive  to do.  I'm still getting all the Ethal and Athels in my head and OMG I am SOOOOO glad Brida died, she was on my last nerve

I tried to rewatch the season as I went thru it rather quickly and Nexflix keeps returning me to Season one.

Mr. Cookie said he would try to straighten things out as I am really electronically challenged.

ETA--let's hear it for the man!  He resolved it in 2 minutes--I can foresee a long nite and not much getting done tomorrow!

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I wasn't going to watch this season but I figured I  had nothing else to do being home bound and I have to say I really enjoyed it.  I'm so glad Our Lady of the Perpetual Braid  actually had somethnig constructive  to do.  I'm still getting all the Ethal and Athels in my head and OMG I am SOOOOO glad Brida died, she was on my last nerve

I tried to rewatch the season as I went thru it rather quickly and Nexflix keeps returning me to Season one.

Mr. Cookie said he would try to straighten things out as I am really electronically challenged.

Mr. Cookie sounds smart. Brida started out so great and went so bad at the end.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2023 at 5:27 PM, juno said:

New trailer. Out today.

Can this get any more exciting?

I read that Uhtred is supposed to be 70 at this time and how is still looking like he is in his mid 30's? 😂

• LOL 3

tI predict Uthred will wind up with the red haired healer Ethel something, Finan and Sytric will bring their families and live in the castle as well as his son.  Skiora {sp?}  will live nearby aad marry again.

I don't recall, what happened to Syttiryg's crazy brother?

13 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

tI predict Uthred will wind up with the red haired healer Ethel something, Finan and Sytric will bring their families and live in the castle as well as his son.  Skiora {sp?}  will live nearby aad marry again.

I don't recall, what happened to Syttiryg's crazy brother?

Eadith.  For once not an Aethel-something, but close enough! 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Damn, I'm re watching this show and like Utred a bit better-but I love Finan--he comes out with some great lines such as {Osbert: He {Utred} likes to burn things, doesn't he? and Finan says, he's gonna love hell! or, when they return to town Alert the ale houses, Baby Monk is back, apparently Baby Monk had some moves the ladies loved. and other things I can't remember but I know they made me lol.

I had to keep reminding myself that David Dawson was PLAYING Alfred, but his portrayal was sooo good  I actually believed at times he WAS Alfred.  I gonna miss him when the movie come out.

So happy when Utred drowned Skade...she was just totally miscast and the character itself was totally annoying

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 1/12/2023 at 1:41 PM, CountryGirl said:

I just finished the final season and unlike Vikings, which I initially loved and then was ready to be done with it after the slog that was S6, I am really going to miss this show.

I honest-to-goodness teared up when Uhtred was having his flashback moments at the very end of the episode.

Any word on the movie?

After the movie you may want to watch Vikings Valhalla--set several hundreds years after this show.  Not as good as the other two, but interesting enuff for something tie it all together.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

So happy when Utred drowned Skade...she was just totally miscast and the character itself was totally annoying

I don't think we were supposed to like Skade, so I'm not sure I agree with you.  I think the actress did a good job of being the villain we all hated.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't think we were supposed to like Skade, so I'm not sure I agree with you.  I think the actress did a good job of being the villain we all hated.

I think the two things are not mutually exclusive: we were supposed to hate Skade AND the actress was terrible.

Two conflicting thoughts:

On one hand, I was sad that Osferth never got a serious love interest the way the others did.  On the other, that scene early in season 5 with the women fighting over him (again, apparently) and him professing to not understand why was hilarious.  It's because you're fucking adorable, Baby Monk!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1