Type keyword(s) to search

Houdini And Doyle - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Didn't Houdini also have a less than savory trick involving an elephant?

Gee, I don't know and I'm afraid to google. You can't unsee stuff :(

• Love 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Didn't Houdini also have a less than savory trick involving an elephant?

Not really; he just made it disappear. The elephant was perfectly fine. It just stayed in its mirrored, curtained cabinet and killed time while the audience ooohed and ahhhed. Though not as much as they should have, perhaps, because unlike his TV counterpart, actual Houdini was not a particularly adept magician. He was a great escapologist, but he (apparently) could never quite nail the right degree of showmanship for truly successful stage magic. He could do the tricks, but not sell them. So I guess that's another way in which this version of Houdini differs from the real one. This one never stops selling the trick.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:27 AM, marketdoctor said:

This is why, even today, if you print your resume on cotton-based flash paper, do NOT use a laser printer--in fact, you should never do that at all.

OK, now you have to tell us why you know that. :-)

• Love 1

Shaftesbury Films was also involved in the production of the show; they are involved in making Murdoch Mysteries, which, imo, is very similar in style to Houdini and Doyle.

So Shaftesbury and ITV could produce it easily enough. If they want to.  But I'm sure money from Fox helped out a lot.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Trey said:

Shaftesbury Films was also involved in the production of the show; they are involved in making Murdoch Mysteries, which, imo, is very similar in style to Houdini and Doyle

That makes a lot of sense, because yeah, it often reminded me of Murdoch's sillier, dumber cousin. Especially this week, with everyone wandering around The Town That Will Be a Toronto Neighborhood or Suburb in the Future (Murdoch loves that reference- "Look, this quaint town is Markham! Or maybe Scarborough!").

I guessed the reason for the dead town, thanks to Lake Nyos, but that didn't make it any less creepy. Just a really tragic, unsettling way to die.

• Love 2

I liked this ep the best so far. I do hope it comes back in some way. Maybe BBCA could take it over? That would certainly improve the quality a bit. I like this time period and it was a good light summer watch.

• Love 1

I'm sad it was cancelled so soon. It took me a while to get into the show (because of the remaining bad taste of House) but now I really enjoy it on reruns.  It walks a nice line between being too silly and being realistic.