Type keyword(s) to search

Shadowhunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, I gotta say that a lot happened in this episode, which I kind of liked.

Starting off with the Alec/Magnus stuff, I really do like seeing them get plots together. I know I said this last episode about Alec, but this episode really showed his growth. He was rude to Magnus, but unlike the last two seasons, where he'd stew before apologizing later, he recognized his rudeness and apologized right away! And it was really because he was tense about Maryse. I liked Magnus covering for Alec's cooking, even if he did figure it out. I knew something was up with Maryse, as they made it quite obvious, but I wasn't sure what. Being stripped of her runes and being deemed a traitor wasn't what I expected. I like how Maryse has also grown in the last couple of seasons. I wouldn't have felt bad for her in season 1. 

Poor Raphael. Losing his sister really took a toll on him. David Castro was on fire this episode. He's absolutely grown from the mediocre acting from season one. I liked Izzy supporting Raphael through his tragedy. I do wonder who this Heidi chick is and why she's so important to Raphael that he needs her to be stashed in his basement.

I like Simon's adventure to get answers. I'm not a huge fan of Maia, or Simon/Maia, but it's nice on how supportive she is of him. It sucks that Luke had to kick him out, but he really didn't have much of a choice, and Simon understood why. I wonder where he'll stay. I presume he'll stay with Maia.

So, Jace is losing it, Clary's worried, and we find out who the Owl is. I got my suspicions that it was Jace in this episode, around the point where he was using his Stamina Rune to stay awake. But it was only solidified as an actual possibility when he was rubbing his eyes, as if he was tired, after the Owl was pepper sprayed. That's when I knew there was a twist coming with Jace.

• Love 3

I get that everyone is afraid/pissed at Simon, but his marking/rune is so dangerous that they really need to suck it up to solve that mystery. Because it seems to disrupt supernatural healing and that's too dangerous to have walking around. I kind of wish Luke had introduced his partner to Simon so she could get a better sense of how stupidly cavalier she was being.

Jace is the Owl. I figured as much.

Raphael's sister's death really gutted him. 

I can see how complete alienation from the only life she's ever known might make Maryse reevaluate her choices and her judgement about certain things.

• Love 1

Maryse is sticking around.  Which means I nay get my Luke/Maryse hookup that I've been waiting for... Otherwise alright epi.. Anna Hopkins is blegh as Lilith... 

Isnt Heidi the girl Simon fed off of in the bar last season? 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I get that everyone is afraid/pissed at Simon, but his marking/rune is so dangerous that they really need to suck it up to solve that mystery. Because it seems to disrupt supernatural healing and that's too dangerous to have walking around. I kind of wish Luke had introduced his partner to Simon so she could get a better sense of how stupidly cavalier she was being.

What's funny is that Ollie has already met Simon, and he escaped from her after she arrested him so it'll be an interesting way to reintroduce the two. But yes, perhaps they do need to be taking Simon's new rune seriously. However, I can get why prioritizing seven dead mundanes in 48 hours is a little more crucial than Simon's powerful rune. 

1 minute ago, UNOSEZ said:

Isnt Heidi the girl Simon fed off of in the bar last season? 

I thought about that. Maybe? I know it was Simon's other vamp ally who ended up killing her, but what I don't understand is why Raphael would save Heidi. 

(edited)

This season is really good so far. A lot happened in this episode, but it didn't seem rushed or clogged. I think not having a genocidal lunatic running around has helped the show breath a bit. I mean, yeah, demonic forces are rising and all, but we can get to that later.

Raphael's story was heartbreaking, especially when he was talking to her about how he had to leave her back when presumably got turned into a vampire, and her wondering why she cant remember that, then when he got the call that she was dead. It was really sweet that Izzie came over to be supportive. I know that their relationship would have some serious road blocks (not the least that the last time they were together, they hung out getting high on each other) but damn it, I want them to make it work! I think Heidi might be the vamp fangirl who Simon thought he killed in season 2. Maybe something went wrong with her turning, and now shes a crazy vampire who cant control her urges, and thats why she was locked up on the basement?

Speaking of making it work despite the road blocks, Alec and Magnus continue to be #relationshipgoals this season, which is going to make the inevitable angst even more angsty then ever. So, for now, I am just going to enjoy them being cute and messing around in the kitchen while Alec attempts to cook and Magnus fixes it through magic while shooting heart eyes. Alec really had grown a lot, his communication skills have grown hugely over the course of the show. I did kind of laugh at his slightly frantic "here is the list of topics not to bring up with mom!" freak out, followed by downing a whole glass of booze in one gulp. Maryse has certainly come a long way from when she could hardly look Margnus in the eye even before he hooked up with Alec. I can see why she she is rethinking everything these days, after apparently being about to lose everything she thought meant everything to her. It seems unfair to kick her out now, when its been so long, even after she did some bad things in the past. 

I cant believe that I didn't connect Luke being apprehensive of his partner getting drawn into the supernatural with what happened to Simon. That actually makes total sense, considering everything he went through after he decided to follow Clary into some weird building and got dragged into all of this, and how much Luke has seen Simon struggle. And Ollie is really acting super cavalier about all of this, talking about it right in the middle of the prescient and acting all giddy to see some action like this is a video game. As we saw with Simon, this can go very badly for a normal person who knows too much, or, on the other side, regular people finding out about all these supernatural shenanigans going on around them would also be a pretty huge mess for everyone.

Simon and Maia are still really solid, and I really feel for him. This power might be helpful, but its also pretty scary, and could easily have strings attached or some nasty side effects, beyond hurting people when Simon really doesn't want to. I felt bad for both him and Luke when Luke had to kick him out. I guess he can move in with Maia? I also liked the little moment when Maia, Simon, and Clary were doing research, and Simon and Clary remaniss a bit about their childhood, and how simple things were back then. Not one hell mouth! 

I kind of figured Jace was having some kind of double identity thing going on, but it was still a good reveal. I did love having the guy playing Sebastian/Jonathan back. Dude has a serious case of the crazy eyes. So, this will be interesting. I was hoping it would be like Scooby Doo and Clary could pull his mask off at the end of the season. "Lets see who you really are!" "Old man Jenkins!" 

Hey, if Supernatural can do a Scooby Doo crossover, anything is freaking possible!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I think Heidi might be the vamp fangirl who Simon thought he killed in season 2. Maybe something went wrong with her turning, and now shes a crazy vampire who cant control her urges, and thats why she was locked up on the basement?

I think so now as well. Now I'm wondering if the reason why Raphael is keeping Heidi alive is because Simon actually sired her and Raphael's trying to use her as a way to figure out the whole Daylighter stuff. Something Heidi said to Raphael about him keeping her in the basement and burning her makes me think that way. Otherwise, there's no point to keep Heidi alive since she's more of a liability with her seeming to go crazy and needed to be drugged and quiet. 

I am rewatching the episode and something that always seems to make me chuckle is how it looks like Alec is in pain every time he drinks any kind of alcohol. It's funny because it's clear he never had alcohol before the series started, so he's still getting used to the taste, even when gulping down a glass of wine. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I am rewatching the episode and something that always seems to make me chuckle is how it looks like Alec is in pain every time he drinks any kind of alcohol. It's funny because it's clear he never had alcohol before the series started, so he's still getting used to the taste, even when gulping down a glass of wine. 

Alec was always my fav of the 4...  He wasn't blinded by the "super specialness" of clary ( for some obvious reasons and some practical)  and called out her mistakes and just how  generally frustrating she was.. Clary of  course was just a bull in a China shop making a mess everywhere and kinda having an attitude when it was pointed out she was doing things a non shadowhunter way... Have was the typical cocky love interest with limited social skills who was too drawn to clary and kept risking him and his loved ones lives and livelihoods.. Apparently teenage girls eat that type  of obsessive behavior up.. And then poor izzy... Minority best friend... Relegated to cheering on the lead couple.. And dressing super sexy... 

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Me too, it always makes me giggle. Alec is really mature in a lot of ways (running a demon hunting organization, probably knows how to kill someone with a spork) and is also extremely young and inexperienced in others ways (basically any social situation that doesn't involve work), at the same time. I double chuckled at Magnuses reaction when Alec downed that whole glass then shuddered and ran out of the room. He was looked so shook at sweet Alec downing booze like that!

• Love 2

Sorry to dip into the shallow end of the gene pool, but whoever decided to give me Raphael chained up in nothing but boxer briefs deserves a pay raise. Could have done without the bbq foot briquette though.

• Love 1

So the show decided to make everyone moody teenagers for a week.  Maria spazzing on  Luke... Jace snapping at Alec  and doing the whole "I'm fine" but with clary.. Even izzy and Raphael ( tho torture does usually warrant a response)....  Even Alec and magnus had sine angst... I hope next week we get back to basics 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Richness said:

Sorry to dip into the shallow end of the gene pool, but whoever decided to give me Raphael chained up in nothing but boxer briefs deserves a pay raise. Could have done without the bbq foot briquette though.

oh so say we all!! I'm just hoping that his exile will be temporary. David Castro's too good of an actor to let go (not to mention way too good on the eyes)

speaking of eye candy what does everybody think of Jordan (Simons new roommate)? Of course, he's too good to be true, especially since he turns out to be a 

Spoiler

werewolf

but hey he's nice too look at and here's  what we get to hopefully look forward to seeing soon:

79938962118606426.jpg

DKeHr6-WsAA687c.jpg

• Love 2

So...that was a frustrating episode, mostly for all the information not being properly communicated with others. 

Well, mostly with Jace/Clary and Alec. It's actually ridiculous at this point that they won't tell Alec about resurrecting Jace, when: a) Alec already knows that his parabatai rune disappeared and then reappeared; and b) Alec has now told Clary that he should know what's going on so that they can figure it out together. Clary, at that point, should have been honest, Jace be damned. She knows something's up with Jace. Jace knows something's up and is not in the right frame of mind. Come on; everything that now happens is on Jace and Clary. Jace being rude toward Alec didn't help matters. I feel like I'm being transported back to season 1, when Jace was a complete jerkwad toward Alec because of his feelings for Clary. 

Speaking of Alec, once again, I feel like I need to mention every episode how glad I am that Alec has changed. His attitude in general is a lot softer and calm, which is a change from his rigidness. His conversation with Magnus would typically go much worse in previous seasons, where he'd make at least one rude remark toward Magnus. 

Raphael almost dies and then gets kicked out of the city by Izzy because of his idiotic actions to try to be a Daylighter by torturing an innocent mundane-turned-vampire. I do like Raphael and it's clear he's going through a really rough time right now. But what he did to Heidi? It makes sense as to why she did what she did (on top of her craziness) so I can't blame Izzy for getting mad at Raphael. I just really do like the two together, and it seems like we won't be seeing Raphael for a while. 

So, the Simon/Jordan stuff was good. Is it too obvious to me that he's some sort of werewolf? I figured out he was supernatural when he mentioned to Simon that he wanted a head's up for when he had company over...not that that should have tipped me off, but it did. I didn't quite catch what Jordan told Luke at the end, though. It seems like he's from another faction, maybe more powerful? 

• Love 3

In the old days, you lured people into a supernatural trap with gingerbread houses. Now, you do it with rent controlled apartments! Seriously, that place was so hilariously perfect for Simon, I am kind of amazed neither he or Maia realized that something was fishy. So Luke set this whole platonic meet cute up, but this other guys is maybe part of some other faction? Who will now be causing new problems? I figured he was supernatural, but now I am not sure what exactly he is. I also continue to enjoy Simon and Maia a lot, they work really well together, and I love how much Maia stands up for him in the face of prejudiced assholes. Honestly, just give inter-species dating a try, guys! Its done wonders for Alec! 

Speaking of, I still love seeing the change in Alec, and how much more mature he has become lately. Less Magnus and Alec this week, but I like what we got, and its great to see them being so supportive and understanding towards each other. 

Come on, just tell Alec the truth damn it! Its not like he`ll tell anyone, he`s still just happy his brother is back, no reason to keep him out of the loop. I did like how Alec brought up his mom and her apparent mental health problems, and how it could be hereditary, even if Jace acted like a dick about it. And I liked Jace going to Luke to talk about it and about his parents. Luke has become everyone's go to pep talk person this season, and I am all about it. He is probably the most emotionally stable person on the show. Usually. 

I hope Raphael's exile doesn't last for long. What he did was definitely wrong, but I get why he did it, and why he thought it was for the greater good. Not excusing what he did, but I can at least get it, and I would miss him on the show. Plus, I am still holding out hope that he and Izzy can make it work, when they're both in a better place. Besides, if a Maia/Simon and Clary/Jace double date was hilariously awkward, imagine what a Magnus/Alec and Izzy/Raphael double date would be like? I just picture Magnus and Izzy making endless small talk while Alec and Raphael just glare at each other until they bond over their mutual love of dark colored clothing. 

Burning a vampire looks like a seriously nasty way to go. 

I always love whenever villains get all pissy at the heroes for killing their loved ones who were off killing people, and were often trying to kill them. "You killed my son!" "He tried to commit genocide! He was going to murder countless innocents" "That was different! Because...my people are more important! So there!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

So, that episode happened. It was mostly boring and mostly filler, except for the end. 

So, Lillith actually uses Magnus to create a potion to basically steal a part of Clary's soul (hey, at least her minions didn't successfully do the job or else the plan would have failed with Jace not loving Izzy anymore) and then drugs Jace's drink and successfully removes any love he had for Clary so she could continue with her plan to resurrect Jonathan. Well, that's going to suck later on when Clary goes to kiss Jace and he has no idea why. The reveal about him being the Owl has to be coming up, right? They can't drag this on for too much longer. 

So, Simon finds out about Jordan thanks to Jace, Simon gets pissed, and then blackmails Jordan into continuing to help him. Oh, and Jordan's part of this werewolf clan that also is sworn to protect Downworlders...or something. I missed the explanation.

Cleophis is back, and her, Clary, and Luke go to summon the angel, who gets killed by Lillith. Well, that majorly sucks. 

Izzy goes on a date with the doctor and gets attacked because Lillith's minions got the wrong scent to track. I'll be honest, if they had gotten a sliver of Izzy's soul, I would have laughed really hard. 

As for the Magnus/Alec front, it seems their nice honeymoon period is over. It's nice confirmation that season 2 took place in less than 2 months, as I totally forgot that the whole series, thus far, has basically taken place in a two month period, since things have moved so quickly. Now it seems we're getting the immortality vs mortality dilemma in their relationship. I'm willing to bet that Alec at least tries a way to prolong his own life to be with Magnus at some point. 

• Love 2

Holy shit you guys, Lilith is Mollus!!! He somehow escaped from Legends of Tomorrow after his vanquishing by Beebo, and ended up here! It all makes sense! The creepy murder cult! Making people all murderous! It all makes sense! Dont worry guys, you just need to find our lord and savior Beebo, he can handle this! 

Oh Jace. Just admit that you and Simon are friends, you arent fooling anyone. I dont know the official rules or anything, but I think when you let someone suck your own blood and it gives them extra super powers, you've moved beyond "friend of a friend" territory. I love that, after most everyone saw last week and said "wow, sure is convenient that this apartment is totally made for Simon", and then Jace figured out what was going on instantly! I do always like their scenes together, so I was glad they got a plot this week. 

Well, the happy times for Alec and Magnus were going to have to hit a rough patch at some point. I guess the immortality thing is a big old elephant in the living room that they're going to have to deal with at some point, especially given Professional Demon Hunter isnt really an occupation that allows for a long and healthy life. It seems momentarily handled, but its totally going to become an issue again. I do love how Alec is so guilt ridden about looking at his boyfriends secret box, he goes off to apologize in about three hours. And the fact that apparently Magnus uses his magic powers to better tailor his clothes to fit his boyfriend. Thats a level of Extra we should all strive towards. 

Izzy, your cover story needs work. Doctor guy is going to spend about five minutes around Jace or Alec and start questioning them being in a family jewelry making business. Her outfit was cute though. Softer colors look nice on her. And I am still pretty sure this guy is evil. Or demon toast. 

Nice seeing Cleo again, even if it lead to the death of their angel ally. Crap. Thats not good. 

So, if I am following, its been two months since season 2 started, right? Then season 1 was probably about 2 months as well, right? Well, holy shit, its been a really eventful few months, huh? Like, how are any of you people still up and going with all the shit you've been through and dealt with in such a short amount of time?!?! I think more people than Jace need a personal day. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So, if I am following, its been two months since season 2 started, right? Then season 1 was probably about 2 months as well, right? Well, holy shit, its been a really eventually few months, huh? Like, how are any of you people still up and going with all the shit you've been through and dealt with in such a short amount of time?!?! I think more people than Jace need a personal day. 

From what I remember from an interview with the cast, they figured that season 1 took place in about 19-21 days (which makes sense because the entire goal of season 1 was finding Jocelyn so they didn't really skip ahead between episodes by days, and season 1 was shorter than season 2). So, basically, it's been about three months since the series started, which...is a lot for characters to go through. Clary's still eighteen! 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Clary's still eighteen! 

I was just thinking, when Jace and Simon were in their favorite bar, "are you guys even old enough to legally drink?"! I guess when half your patrons dont physically age, checking IDs is a bit pointless. 

Yeah, thats a whole lot of shit thats gone down in a really short amount of time. Maybe for the next crisis, let some other people handle it, and y'all get some sleep? Take a few personal days? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I was just thinking, when Jace and Simon were in their favorite bar, "are you guys even old enough to legally drink?"! I guess when half your patrons dont physically age, checking IDs is a bit pointless. 

Yeah, thats a whole lot of shit thats gone down in a really short amount of time. Maybe for the next crisis, let some other people handle it, and y'all get some sleep? Take a few personal days? 

Well, Jace might be. I don't know if they ever specified how old Jace, Alec, and Izzy are supposed to be. I think Izzy's just a year or two older than Clary, but I think Jace and Alec are in their early to mid twenties*. Simon's eighteen, but will forever be eighteen. I do wonder how old Maia is. I think she's supposed to be about 20, but she definitely looks older (as does every other character since all the actors are older). 

*So, I just researched a little bit and in two separate interviews, they state that Alec is 23 years old. So Jace is about the same age. 

Yeah, I know season 3 will probably continue to be a big pain, but maybe, at some point, have one episode where they just go take a personal day? Maybe go on vacation somewhere? I'd kill for a drama-free episode where the main characters are just hanging out, having a good time. Hell, why not do a time jump where the next arc isn't immediately after the previous? Seriously, we jumped from season 1 to season 2 with only a couple of days passing. Now, we had season 2 move into season 3 with only, again, a couple of days passing. If there is a season 4, which is probably happening, maybe do...I don't know, a six month time jump? So maybe the characters can have a few months of rest before the next crisis? 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

have one episode where they just go take a personal day? Maybe go on vacation somewhere?

Maybe Ollie and her partner ask Luke if he wants to do something, so he decides to have a dinner with them at his place. Only Ollie's partner doesn't know about the whole werewolf thing, and all that surrounds it, so he has to pretend to be a totally normal cop. More characters start showing up, and get sucked into the "yep, totally normal" charade. Hilarity ensues. Then maybe a lot of vacation days. Like, so many. Because I cant imagine supernatural powers and exhaustion go well together. 

• Love 1

So you're telling me, lilith just easily killed that angel? 

Firstly, how did the angel not sense a demon, especially someone as foul as a greater demon?

Secondly, What good is the armor if it can't protect from a fist? 

Thirdly, she was created as a human after the angel as she was casted out from the garden of eden.. So how is she more powerful than an angel? 

Fourthly, I expected the angel to have powers to defend himself and burn that demon. 

Lastly, if that angel died... Wouldn't heaven be on alert? One of their own died.. Time to mobilize and attack back? 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Seriously, angels are punk asses. How on Earth were they battling demons in the past?

It's interesting to see that the down world built Simon a perfect prison so that he wouldn't be inclined to go out.

Didn't stop him from finding out and turning into a selfish reactionary baby man about it...

Oh a bunch of wolves can't stand me... That's ok I gotta play my music... If they  or anyone else attacks ( cuz jealous drunk dudes in bars never attack) its all good I've got a new wolf bodyguard and my super dangerous seelie queen power that no one understands 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It's interesting to see that the down world built Simon a perfect prison so that he wouldn't be inclined to go out.

If you can't kill he with fists, kill him with kindness.

• Love 1

I'm not surprised they were already teasing new potential couples in this episode. 

Luke/Maryse is one that I didn't really expect, but I guess they really want Luke to have a love interest this season, and Maryse is the only available option, other than introducing a new female character. I could be down with that, in all honesty. Plus, I always enjoy learning more about Luke and Maryse's pasts as Shadowhunters. 

I would have been fine if Jace had attacked Izzy's doctor boyfriend. First off, I can't remember his name, and second, the actor is pretty bad. I thought Matthew Daddario and others could be bad, but this guy hasn't really emoted....well, anything toward Izzy. I really liked Izzy's Seelie boyfriend in season 1 and I liked her with Raphael. But this new guy (oh, his name is Charlie, I think) is just not a good actor for me to care what happens to him. Sorry dude, but you're either going to get killed so Izzy gets an angsty storyline, or you're secretly evil. Either way, I don't see him lasting very long. 

Ok, so clearly they're setting up a cheating storyline with Alec and Magnus, right? I didn't just imagine those clear vibes between Alec and the other gay Shadowhunter? Also, it's kind of insulting that the only other gay recurring character is the one that'll be set up with Alec. I hope I'm wrong, but they're telegraphing that Alec will not just have Magnus as his only love interest this season, with all that talk about Alec not having experience. I'd much rather if the two broke up before Alec started seeing Blondie. Though I really wanted more of drunk Alec. We only got a little taste of drunk Alec in the scene at the pool table, and I realize that I'd love a full episode of everyone getting drunk and having fun, and seeing more drunk Alec. 

The secret's out with Jace. Apparently, it took Magnus getting involved for things to click (as well as Jace turning into the Owl and taking Ollie). I like Dominic Sherwood, but I feel bad that he keeps getting thrown depressing angsty storyline after depressing angsty storyline. The poor guy can't just have a happy arc for once! 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Sorry dude, but you're either going to get killed so Izzy gets an angsty storyline, or you're secretly evil. Either way, I don't see him lasting very long. 

Well, we know he's not secretly evil, because Jace sees a glowing aura around him. He's a truly good person. So he's gonna get killed.  I noticed the timing right away because it kind of coincides with 

Spoiler

Maia finding out that Simon's roommate is her ex-boyfriend and breaking them up.  Izzy's new man dying paves the way for Izzy/Simon

• Love 1
On 4/25/2018 at 9:47 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, so clearly they're setting up a cheating storyline with Alec and Magnus, right?

Dont you put that evil on us Lady Calypso! I refuse to sit here and take another stupid stupid OOC love triangle without comment! I swear, if there was a petition I could sign to ban all shitty, pointless love triangles that exist only to make drama with some pointless side character for a few episodes until the actual characters we give a shit about get their shit together, I would sign it as many times as possible. Do we not have enough drama!?! 

Anywho, for real, I did kind of get a vibe between them, but I just dont see Alec actually cheating. Maybe they could do the thing where Magnus breaks up with him so he can explore his options more, but I dont see that lasting. Besides, Nephiliem are apparently the lobsters of the supernatural world, and only fall in love for real once. It would be nice if the gay Showerhunter guy was just brought in to be Alec's friend. He needs more friends that he isnt related to. I did enjoy the reappearance of drunk Alec, who drunkenly rambles on about his boyfriend, and was probably about five minutes from a drunk dial. I mean, at least this argument actually does make sense, and I get where both of them are coming from. I did kind of snicker at Alec being bringing the aggressive in passive aggressive over breakfast. "Maybe I should put my spatula in your box?" *drinks coffee.* 

There really is always some kind of new problems, isnt there? I swear, every character on this show must wake up every morning thinking "oh what fresh Hell will today bring"? No wonder every other scene is someone drinking or at a bar. The scenes with werewolf guy and Simon were actually kind of fun, but he is totally Maias ex, right? Oh thats gonna be awkward. And he probably did the right thing with his bunny boiling vampire stalker. 

It was nice seeing Clary and Magnus hanging out a bit, and actually trying to figure out what new weirdness is going on. And now, everyone basically knows whats up. At least, they know some demon is controlling the Owl who is actually Jace. Also, since Lillith killed an angel, will the hosts of heaven actually, like, help out a bit? I know the main characters are always picking up the slack for the Clave, but are they stuck doing all the damn work for heaven now too? 

I can get into Luke/Maryse. Also, because Maryse is Jaces mom, and Luke is Clarys surrogate father, wouldn't they kind of be siblings again? ;)

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Dont you put that evil on us Lady Calypso! I refuse to sit here and take another stupid stupid OOC love triangle without comment! I swear, if there was a petition I could sign to ban all shitty, pointless love triangles that exist only to make drama with some pointless side character for a few episodes until the actual characters we give a shit about get their shit together, I would sign it as many times as possible. Do we not have enough drama!?! 

Anywho, for real, I did kind of get a vibe between them, but I just dont see Alec actually cheating. Maybe they could do the thing where Magnus breaks up with him so he can explore his options more, but I dont see that lasting. Besides, Nephiliem are apparently the lobsters of the supernatural world, and only fall in love for real once. It would be nice if the gay Showerhunter guy was just brought in to be Alec's friend. He needs more friends that he isnt related to. I did enjoy the reappearance of drunk Alec, who drunkenly rambles on about his boyfriend, and was probably about five minutes from a drunk dial. I mean, at least this argument actually does make sense, and I get where both of them are coming from. I did kind of snicker at Alec being bringing the aggressive in passive aggressive over breakfast. "Maybe I should put my spatula in your box?" *drinks coffee.* 

I could see Magnus and Alec breaking up so that Alec can date Blonde Shadowhunter, for sure. They said a lot in this episode how Magnus and Alec are meant to be and can work anything out and blahblahblah, which obviously means that something will happen and they will break up and Alec will have a new boyfriend who will likely be Blonde Shadowhunter (see also the topic of immortality vs mortality). 

Which, for the record, I always assumed that they wouldn't just pair Alec off with Magnus as his first and only boyfriend, but I'm not quite sure how they're going to handle this. I'd much rather Alec and Blondie were just good friends who got to talk about the hardships of being gay as a Shadowhunter while also being drinking buddies. 

Alec's passive aggressive behaviour was kind of funny. He recognized how ridiculous he was being, but it still didn't stop him. 

• Love 2
On 4/25/2018 at 3:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

Also, since Lillith killed and angel, will the hosts of heaven actually, like, help out a bit? I know the main characters are always picking up the slack for the Clave, but are they stuck doing all the damn work for heaven now too? 

?????

• Love 1

So Clary the Catastrophe strikes again and everyone just says its ok... This show has from the start been clary does something selfish, self-righteous, impulsive or flat out stupid... Some unintended consequence befalls someone else... She feels bad about it and everyone tells her its not her fault... I needed season one Alec to show up to at least scold her a little before forgiving her.. But no even he has become an apologist for the girl... An angel is dead 33 (or more)  mundanes are dead jace's grandmother is probably dead all because of her and she gets a hug then gets to play martyr... Smh 

I mean she's not the only one who does that... Magnus and Luke this episode decided everything was their fault so they could roll around in self-pity for a bit... It was infuriating 

Maia and Jordan were cool.. Hope they can get on without too much trouble or angst... 

Bring back Raphael... Let Madzie come out and do some super magic... More Luke and Maryse.. A little more of season one Alec who wasn't such a pushover... Have izzy do something besides tell jace and clary how awesome they are and how wonderful they are together... 

I was really hoping for Alec to be even a little pissed at Clary. Instead, he hugs her and tells her that it's alright. The issue isn't with her bringing Jace back; it's lying about it, especially when Alec knew something was up. 7 episodes later, and it should have blown up in her face. I mean, it would have been better if she hadn't have had to bring Jace back, but once she did that, the damage was already done. 

The Maia/Jordan flashbacks were pretty good. I wasn't really that invested, as I'm not a Maia fan, but it was nice to see some flashbacks for once. 

So, they captured Jace, while Jace killed his own grandmother, and Clary's been arrested as I assume they think she killed Grandma Herondale. That'll be a tough one to explain, and I don't think Clary would be able to hide the Jace secret for long. I assume they still have their methods, like the Soul Sword, to get Clary to tell the truth? 

I do like seeing more of Alicante and I hope we see more of the Clave. They're very much antagonists and it's about time we saw them in the open. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I swear, when Clary was lying all busted up on the car after Jace tossed her off the roof, her face was just like "You know, maybe I just should have just gone to art school..." Its just such a FML moment. 

I liked seeing the Maia/Jordan flashbacks, and they do certainly give more context for their relationship. I do feel a bit more for Jordan seeing how things went down, but Maia is very right to be pissed at him. Him turning her might not have really been his fault, but leaving her afterwards to figure out what was happening to her on her own. As much as I like Maia and Simon, I assume she and Jordan will get back together and Simon will hook up with Izzie. 

It was pretty dickish, but I admit I snickered when possessed Jace told Izzie he would tell her boyfriend she died "in a tragic jewelry making accident". I mean, jewelry maker Izzie? Really? I do think that possessed Jace being stuck with Alec, Izzie and Magnus is going to be interesting. 

Not a bunch of Alec and Magnus, but their conversation and make up hug was sweet. It doesn't really solve their problems, but at least maybe they can wait until a less stressful time to have the full conversation, without snark or attempts at deflection. It was also nice seeing Catarina, and Maias werewolf friend again. The minor characters dont usually get a ton of focus, but I am glad most of them arent forgotten.

Luke took kid Simon to take your kid to work day? Thats freaking adorable. 

I cant really blame Alec for not going off on Clary when he found out she and Jace had been lying to everyone. At that point, she was sobbing because her boyfriend is possessed, and told her he hates her before he through her off a roof. Telling her what an idiot she had been seems like pouring a lemon on her paper cut. Besides, I think he has developed a bit of a big brother feeling towards her, and he pretty consistently cuts his siblings a LOT of slack he wouldn't cut other people. 

7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I do like seeing more of Alicante and I hope we see more of the Clave. They're very much antagonists and it's about time we saw them in the open. 

I hope we get to see more of them, and Alicante. They're very odd antagonists, because they're technically on the heroes side, but are usually more of a hindrance or a threat than anything else, something that needs to be worked around so the good guys can actually get anything done. Really, they're kind of a semi divine, larger scale, more military focused Watchers Counsel from Buffy. Technically on the heroes side, but are more often than not an annoyance at best, and an evil antagonist at worst. I mean, Valentine and his people didnt come from nowhere. The Clave might draw the line at full on genocide, but they still treat everyone who isnt them (and even some of their own) like dirt for the horrible crime of existing. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/2/2018 at 8:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

It was pretty dickish, but I admit I snickered when possessed Jace told Izzie he would tell her boyfriend she died "in a tragic jewelry making accident". I mean, jewelry maker Izzie? Really? I do think that possessed Jace being stuck with Alec, Izzie and Magnus is going to be interesting. 

I laughed out loud.  It was the best moment of the episode--the jewelry maker excuse was so ridiculous, that someone had to make fun of it.  I just wish Evil Jace would say more things like that.

Edited by Mari
Stupid autocorrect. Stupid brain, not noticing stupid autocorrect.
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The only scene better than Jace dropping Clary off of a roof as a room full of dead Clarys.

Clary actually had the nerve to be indignant when the shadowhunter in charge was mad she wasted the wish... She was also right that clary ( and to a lesser extent the main shadowhunter cast)  don't sacrifice much...  She's suffered and things have been taken from her but at almost every turn her go to move is to do something she thinks is right never seeming to care about the bigger picture or consequences outside her little bubble... And her ppl keep blaming other ppl... " its not ur fault clary " should be the name of the show... 

I hope magnus is off to see his daddy next episode.. And Luke heading to the wild wolves seems interesting.. Also him and maryse need to cool it.. They are steaming  up my TV screen

• Love 2

Well, that was an absolute clusterfuck, wasn't it? Basically the only thing that didnt go wrong is that no one got murdered this week, and at this point, thats pretty much a win. 

The journey through Jaces mind wasn't really anything we didnt already know, but it was good seeing the bond he has with his siblings, and its sad to see how torn up he is over the shit he is going through as the Liliths Owl minion. The flashbacks to little Izzie, Jace, and Alec was cute, especially as it came right after the head shadowhunter lady said that Jace killed his only living relative. Seriously, when this is all dealt with TAKE A VACATION! Have some nice sibling time! Have brunch! 

I know it seems inevitable that Maia and Jordan will get together, but I am not excited about it. She and Simon are really cute together, and they are so ride or die for each other, its going to suck to see them split up, even if I do think that Jordan has become a better guy. And Simon really has a habit of becoming weird BFFs with his girlfriend/ex girlfriends boyfriends/ex boyfriends, to everyone's confusion. 

Luke and Maryse are still an awesome early couple, and it still cracks me up how the Lightwoods ALL seem to have a thing Downworlders. Just waiting for some asshole to make a crack about that. And, if they get together, Luke would basically be the step-dad or father figure of almost every person in the cast. Excited to see what a feral clan of Alicante is like, that should be super cool. How big is Alicante anyway? How many people actually live their? Excited to see some more if it. 

Looks like Magnuses big evil demon dad will be coming into play now, and he might have to get in touch with daddy dearest to get back up to defeat Lilith. Should be interesting, if dangerous. I cant imagine Alec will be thrilled, especially if he cant come for the super awkward meet the parents conversation. 

Oh Clary. I get why she made the wish, but it really was a very short sightened deal to make. Although, them killing her seems pretty hasty as well. I mean, who will do all the Claves work now, if she dies, and all her friends get pissed off and stop wanting to pick up all their slack?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Well, that was an absolute clusterfuck, wasn't it? Basically the only thing that didnt go wrong is that no one got murdered this week, and at this point, thats pretty much a win. 

I mean, technically Clary did...several times over...in Jace's mind. Heh. 

I mean, I'm all for invoking some sort of harsher punishment for Clary's actions, but death? Well, I guess when the Clave does something, they go for the extreme. They're that willing to kill an eighteen year old girl because she acted on emotion, rather than logic? I get the whole using up the angel's wish is a pretty big deal, but maybe don't jump straight to death? 

I swear I read that we'd learn new stuff from the parabatai mind connection, but other than Izzy singing to little Jace, there was nothing new presented there.  The flashbacks were cute and I will say that I love the sibling moments between the three. More of that, please! We haven't had enough sibling moments in a while due to some kind of romantic or personal drama. 

So, I do like Maia a bit, but I see what they're doing with her and Jordan. To be honest, I'm not so sure I'll care about Maia or Jordan if they're not with the main characters (well, other mains). It's a shame, but I only like their flashback episode because I thought it might be a one time deal. I like Maia, but I haven't warmed to her in the sense that I find her interesting enough on her own. 

Luke and Maryse still work for me. More of them, for sure.

It's interesting to see the Seelie Queen afraid of Lilith, but Lilith afraid of Magnus' father, Asmodeus. I am actually interested in learning more about that background.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Clary actually had the nerve to be indignant when the shadowhunter in charge was mad she wasted the wish... She was also right that clary ( and to a lesser extent the main shadowhunter cast)  don't sacrifice much...  She's suffered and things have been taken from her but at almost every turn her go to move is to do something she thinks is right never seeming to care about the bigger picture or consequences outside her little bubble... And her ppl keep blaming other ppl... " its not ur fault clary " should be the name of the show... 

When shadowhunter who was leading the tribunal explained the importance of the one wish, I was like "Yeah, Clary using it to bring Jace back was a waste." If they were facing a cataclysm, then Clary just wasted their only chance to save everyone. It might have helped if they at least had Clary realize how badly she screwed up for longer than a minute. Even worse is that her selfish decision seems to be bringing about the type of cataclysmic event that they might need the angel's wish to fix.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

They're that willing to kill an eighteen year old girl because she acted on emotion, rather than logic? I get the whole using up the angel's wish is a pretty big deal, but maybe don't jump straight to death? 

Yeah, no kidding. She definitely made a call based on emotions instead of the greater good, and it would be one thing if she was punished for her actions (and inadvertently helping to create this whole mess), but straight up killing her? Is there really nothing in between a slap on the wrist, and exile or death? No wonder so many shadowhunters are so intense all the time!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, no kidding. She definitely made a call based on emotions instead of the greater good, and it would be one thing if she was punished for her actions (and inadvertently helping to create this whole mess), but straight up killing her? Is there really nothing in between a slap on the wrist, and exile or death? No wonder so many shadowhunters are so intense all the time!

Maybe this is a cumulative punishment... Its not like this is her first emotional mistake that had dire consequences 

(edited)

I haven't been following the show faithfully so as a book reader, something confused me, book spoilers for S2 events under the cut:

Spoiler

In the books, Clary doesn't get punished because technically, Clary only "steals" The Wish from Valentine by over-writing the rune he used to summon the Angel Raziel. She's not the one who puts the Mortal Instruments together and raises the Angel. So even though the Council aren't happy with what she did, they can't punish her since she technically didn't do anything wrong. If she hadn't taken the Wish from Valentine, he'd have destroyed the world. 

In the TV show ---- did this still happen & now the Council decide to punish her all the same? Or does TV!Clary put the Instruments together herself and raise The Angel?

Edited by ursula
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ursula said:

I haven't been following the show faithfully so as a book reader, something confused me, book spoilers for S2 events under the cut:

Yep, thats how it went down. I was a bit confused too, cant they just make another wish sometime? She took Valentines genocide wish, and thats it. Does that mean the angel bank is closed forever? Because, considering their whole species was created to serve the angels, if I remember right, and literally has their blood, that seems pretty shitty on the part of Heaven. Maybe she is more in trouble for lying, or bringing someone back to life? Or maybe they're just sick of the New York branch going off the reservation so often, they're just using this as an excuse to teach them a lesson and send a message? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Yep, thats how it went down. I was a bit confused too, cant they just make another wish sometime? She took Valentines genocide wish, and thats it. Does that mean the angel bank is closed forever? Because, considering their whole species was created to serve the angels, if I remember right, and literally has their blood, that seems pretty shitty on the part of Heaven. Maybe she is more in trouble for lying, or bringing someone back to life? Or maybe they're just sick of the New York branch going off the reservation so often, they're just using this as an excuse to teach them a lesson and send a message? 

Wow. Then that's all kinds of crazy. How did she break the Law then? She wasn't the one who put the Instruments and rose the Angel. She basically saved the Downworld by thwarting Valentine's Wish and of course, without the protection of "owning" the Wish, Valentine could be killed by the Angel. Maybe she should have used the Wish for something more generally altruistic like World Peace but she didn't break any Law by bringing Jace back to life. The Law is hard ---- but if the Clave is just making up Laws just to spite/punish someone that they just deemed a hero (and someone who technically is still a hero, because none of Clary's actions in stopping Valentine have been "nullified" by her resurrecting Jace) then that's  not being "Lawful", that's just being spiteful and petty. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Well, I only watched the episode once, but I'm pretty sure the head Clave Lady, whose name I don't know, stated that Clary wasted the only wish that they had, hence the harsh punishment. It's dumb, but it would be even worse if they killed Clary just to teach Shadowhunters a lesson about using a wish that they could just use again. 

ETA: So, I just watched the actual scene, and yeah, angels suck. It was a one time wish, and the Clave was hoping to use the wish in case some Big Bad came to take over the world. So basically, Clary did possibly, but the Clave are whiny assholes who seem to be the real Big Bads here. Maybe they're the ones needing to be rid of from the world. But also, Valentine had already summoned the demon. I'm not quite sure it was going to be easy to just say "nah, I'm good on the wish. I'll call you back when we need it" and that's it.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 3

I guess that was a finale. A lot of intense stuff happened, though it's funny that they think people will buy their mid-season cliffhanger, as if Clary's actually going to be dead with Jonathan. Nah, I just expect both of them to have been sent to Edom. 

Also, Jace almost fatally stabs Alec. I mean, it's obvious that Alec won't die, but they also left his fate in a cliffhanger, especially with Magnus not having magic anymore. 

I will say that Simon's family stuff was heartbreaking. I like that Izzy is there for him for it, although I'm not really a fan of the anvils being dropped about them. Or maybe I think Emeraude doesn't really have the same chemistry with Alberto than she does with David Castro. Either way, Simon compelling his mother to think he was dead felt like overkill, but more so because he was punishing himself so he could never actually visit her again, other than afar. At least his sister knows and accepts him, so he can still have a relationship with her. 

Luke loses his pack because he chooses Clary over them. I mean, the werewolves aren't wrong to let him out of the pack. Luke sucks at being a werewolf leader. 

It is a shame that we lost Lilith so quickly. I would have enjoyed her presence for all of season 3. Maybe she's not actually dead, though? I guess it's possible she just got banished to Edom again. Hopefully, we do get to see more of her because her only interactions have really just been with Jace for the majority of her run. Hell, we got saddled with Valentine every season so far. He couldn't have just stayed dead instead of bringing him back in this finale? I mean, they got me going. I thought that it would have ended with Valentine escaping for good and him being a pain in the ass. Hopefully he does stay dead, though. I love the actor and think he's played Valentine well, but let's not overstay his welcome. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Maybe she's not actually dead, though? I guess it's possible she just got banished to Edom again.

on TVLine the producers of the show basically confirmed that and she'll likely be back pretty soon.

Alberto seriously brought it tonight. My heart broke twice for Simon tonight. That guy can cry just as good as Grant Gustin. Hollywood better take notice of this guy cause he needs to get a movie offer. Either that or Broadway with his singing talent.

As for the end, would you guys hate me for being split about Sebastian/Jonathan back? I'm pissed that Lilith's little stew worked but really happy that I get to watch hottie Will Tudor again.....

My only question is where the hell was Jordan? He could've been helpful in the lobby fight.......

• Love 1

Good thing the fire department was on it's way, that was a hell of a fireball.

Maybe Luke's police chief will give him a pat on the back for catching 36 murderers single-handedly or at least not throw him in jail (that sure some random police thinking there).

• Love 1

Luke sure is a parent because he is sacrificing left and right for catastrophic clary.. Losing his pack.. Maybe his job.. While Clary is out here necromancing her bio dad ( after a very dangerous witch said it was a horrible idea)... And guess what... It was he killed a gang of clave members and let loose a bunch of  rogue demon hating shadow hunters... I assume someone will be along soon to tell her it wasn't her fault... Ugh at the anvil storm of  "Sizzy"...  we get it...  

• Love 3