Type keyword(s) to search

Shadowhunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/2/2017 at 7:27 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I like the couple of Malec, but I'm not totally loving them as much as I could. They're a nice couple, and the actors have some chemistry there, but I think that I don't find Matt Daddario as good of an actor as he could be, so some of his scenes fall flat. He's gotten a lot better since season 1, but I'm not so sure some about some of his acting choices. Harry Shum Jr seems to sell their relationship a little bit better for me. I do prefer the character of Alec, though. 

What he lacks in acting abilities he makes up for in not wearing a shirt abilities.  They should have him do it more often.

• Love 4
On 8/2/2017 at 7:25 AM, strippedhalo said:

I haven't read the books, but from what I understand, Alec and Magnus are a thing in them, so I don't think you can blame their relationship on the "tv agenda".  And from my perspective (which is admittedly pro-Alec/Magnus), I don't think they've been pushed into overkill or are getting all the relationship airtime.  YMMV, but I think we've had a lot of Simon and Maia in the last few episodes - less explicitly, maybe, but they're in an earlier stage of their relationship - and there was lots of Simon/Clary earlier in the season.  *shrugs*  LGBT+ people exist in real life, I don't have a problem with them existing on TV, too.

Don't get me wrong I am a totally 100% open minded individual. You love who you love. I meant there's become a pattern on TV lately and one moment a person is hetero or vice versa and then they play for the other team. So to me its promoting confusion a bit and making it okay to sleep around with everyone which is not safe emotionally or phsyically. Yes, I naturally knew this is from the book. The Simon/Clary scenes fell flat at best lol. And yes as you said less explicit which is what I was referring to. They have been going ALL in with Malec. 

Edited by epdal

So we finally get some lovely Malec make-out and morning after flashback scenes only for the boys to break up at the end of the episode. Why can't we ever have nice things? Then again I'm hoping that the show will follow the books with respect to Malec and

Spoiler

this will just be a minor setback and they will get back together sooner or later.

I was very surprised that Max survived Jonathan's attack. If Jonathan is supposed to be this super strong Big Bad, that made no sense whatsoever. I guess the show writers didn't have the guts to kill off a kid. Also, why weren't the other characters more suprised that Sebastian was Jonathan? In the books this was a huge reveal and here it felt glossed over, anti-climatic, like so many scenes which were a big deal in the books. I was rather disappointed by that.

I'm really relieved that the Mortal Mirror on the show was not just a compact mirror but is actually Lake Lyn like in the books. If they had changed that, that would have been a huge let down.

It was also good to finally hear the story of how Maia got bitten and turned into a werewolf. This was long overdue IMO. Hopefully, the character of Jordan will show up sooner or later (maybe next season if the show gets renewed?).

I don't really like the way they're jumbling things up on the show. It seems like they're trying to burn through material as quickly as they can in case they get cancelled.  In my mind, Max shouldn't even be active as a Shadowhunter yet.  He never even gets a chance to actually be a Shadowhunter in the books (yes, I know they are born Shadowhunters, but I mean actively functioning as one).And of course, he should have stayed dead, if we were following the books.  I'm ok with not following the books, but the way they've smushed everything into two seasons just doesn't even give me time to give a crap about any of the characters. I'm not emotionally invested at all.  And the point we're at right now should be more like the end of season 3, not season 2.   I feel like I'm just watching a highlights reel of events, rather than a full story unfolding.

• Love 4

Why was Clary and Jace so freaked out after trying to locate Jonathan? I assume their connection was super strong it unsettled them? *shrugs* The young lady who plays the queen really outshines the whole cast lol. She is a very promising actress. She likes her some Simon lol. On another note, eventhough Simon annoys me to no end, I was so PROUD of him for standing up to the queen. 

ps. I really need to read the books lol 

Edited by epdal
  • Love 1

Since Dominic Sherwood and Sarah Hyland are dating, the show probably forced Sarah Hyland  to be on the show to improve their ratings. She was probably already just hanging around the set waiting for her man.

• Love 1

I also agree that young Seelie Queen has been doing a better job. I like Sarah Hyland enough, but I felt like she was more worried with getting her accent right when she spoke. I'm not sure whether she was just a cameo because of her connection to Dominic or if they might bring her on once in a while to flirt with Simon, so it's not as creepy if the child actress does it. 

I figured that Maia/Simon's romance would have its drama at some point. Now, the question becomes if Maia will be fine by the end of the finale, or if the Seelie Queen will just kill her off. I think I like Maia as an individual, but I couldn't care less about her romance with Simon. I wouldn't mind seeing Simon taking a darker route for next season; I think the actor is wonderful when he's given heavier material, anyway. His scene of standing up to the Seelie Queen was pretty awesome. 

I rolled my eyes hard at the Clary/Jace scene. I'm not really sure why they suddenly became super awkward with each other. Especially since we had to get a few minutes of their drama bullshit, and we get....one line from Luke about Magnus/Alec's breakup, and a sad look from Magnus as he stares at a random photoset of them? 

I expected Jonathan to die at some point. I mean, I kind of expect one last scene with him at some point, but I'm also ok with how they ended his arc. It's too bad I love the actor; at least I now know him so I can check out his other roles. 

Hold on; so Valentine found out about the Mirror being Lake Lynn. But only very few knew about that truth. I know Valentine had a warlock with him; maybe I missed a vital line, but were we supposed to deduce that the warlock told him? Or did Grandma Herondale? I mean, unless it was some random guard from Idris who was sent to guard the perimeter, I assume it was Grandma Herondale, which means she's sketchy and the Clave is even more corrupt than it already is. 

Also, what did Valentine have to offer the Seelie Queen to get her to join his side? It has to be pretty damn good for both of them, especially since Valentine is looking to destroy the Downworld, Seelies included. 

• Love 1

The episode with the flashbacks finally sold me on Malec's chemistry and I'm truly genuinely impressed.  I love the relationship on paper, so to speak (I've not read the books), but for all that folks complain about McNamara as an actor, Alec is the only actor on the show whose acting just kills me it's so bad.  Like really, sooooooooo bad. But he was great, relatively speaking, in those Malec flashbacks.  I mean, he didn't sound like an animated piece of cardboard so that's a major improvement.

• Love 2
On 8/8/2017 at 10:39 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Hold on; so Valentine found out about the Mirror being Lake Lynn. But only very few knew about that truth. I know Valentine had a warlock with him; maybe I missed a vital line, but were we supposed to deduce that the warlock told him? Or did Grandma Herondale? I mean, unless it was some random guard from Idris who was sent to guard the perimeter, I assume it was Grandma Herondale, which means she's sketchy and the Clave is even more corrupt than it already is. 

Valentine told Jonathan that the Mirror was in Idris, now I'm not sure if he knows the Mirror IS Lake Lynn or if he believes the Mirror is IN Lake Lynn. Regardless, he said he has an spy in Alicante, also known as the Glass City or City of Glass, the home city of the Nephilim.

On 8/7/2017 at 1:42 PM, Pixel said:

I don't really like the way they're jumbling things up on the show. It seems like they're trying to burn through material as quickly as they can in case they get cancelled.  In my mind, Max shouldn't even be active as a Shadowhunter yet.  He never even gets a chance to actually be a Shadowhunter in the books (yes, I know they are born Shadowhunters, but I mean actively functioning as one).And of course, he should have stayed dead, if we were following the books.  I'm ok with not following the books, but the way they've smushed everything into two seasons just doesn't even give me time to give a crap about any of the characters. I'm not emotionally invested at all.  And the point we're at right now should be more like the end of season 3, not season 2.   I feel like I'm just watching a highlights reel of events, rather than a full story unfolding.

Has the show been renewed or cancelled?  When would that decision be made?  I'm not sure what the timing is with Cable TV shows.

On 8/8/2017 at 4:56 PM, millahnna said:

The episode with the flashbacks finally sold me on Malec's chemistry and I'm truly genuinely impressed.  I love the relationship on paper, so to speak (I've not read the books), but for all that folks complain about McNamara as an actor, Alec is the only actor on the show whose acting just kills me it's so bad.  Like really, sooooooooo bad. But he was great, relatively speaking, in those Malec flashbacks.  I mean, he didn't sound like an animated piece of cardboard so that's a major improvement.

Matthew is gorgeous, but his acting is so bad he makes my teeth hurt. 

What was the purpose of the Seelie Queen's arrangement with Valentine? He took the first opportunity to screw her over. So Valentine raised the angel, asked the angel to kill everything with Demon blood, and the angel says "go scratch, but you can ask for something else." I know Valentine didn't verbalize anything, but was saying aloud required for the wish granting? I'm curious what that Demon mother was that was raised? Was that Valentine's wish? Was it a demon dangerous enough to unite all of the Shadowhunters?

Whatever is happening with Jace is clearly the price paid to bringing him back.

Poor Simon is stuck hanging with the wrong version of the Seelie Queen.

I don't know if I'm fine with bringing Luke's partner into this world mostly because I don't feel like she did enough work to discover the shadow world. Nor were things so crazy in the mortal realm that it made sense that she'd start looking for answers. 

I know I shouldn't, but I laughed when Valentine hit Clary.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm curious what that Demon mother was that was raised? Was that Valentine's wish? Was it a demon dangerous enough to unite all of the Shadowhunters?

I'm just hoping whoever she is she brings Johnathan back to life. He's too good of a bad guy for just one season (btw if you guys wanna see more Will Tudor just check him out as Olyvar on Game of Thrones, but be warned he's got lots of adult scenes)

I'm assuming the show will be back probably in late fall or winter I'm just glad they made it clear that Alec and Magnus were back together.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, madhacker said:

I'm just hoping whoever she is she brings Johnathan back to life. He's too good of a bad guy for just one season (btw if you guys wanna see more Will Tudor just check him out as Olyvar on Game of Thrones, but be warned he's got lots of adult scenes)

I'm assuming the show will be back probably in late fall or winter I'm just glad they made it clear that Alec and Magnus were back together.

Johnathan is far too good a villain to be gone this quickly. Plus Will is a great actor and this show can't afford to lose any good actors. I remember Will from Game.

I'm hoping the show decides to stop separating Magnus and Alec. Harry's barely up to the task and poor Matthew is going to break something if he tries to emote.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm curious what that Demon mother was that was raised? Was that Valentine's wish? Was it a demon dangerous enough to unite all of the Shadowhunters?

I thought it was Jonathan's "mom", the demon who provided the blood that Valentine shot him up with.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Johnathan is far too good a villain to be gone this quickly. Plus Will is a great actor and this show can't afford to lose any good actors. I remember Will from Game.

I'm hoping the show decides to stop separating Magnus and Alec. Harry's barely up to the task and poor Matthew is going to break something if he tries to emote.

Haha, that's hilarious. His reaction to his parabatai rune fading/Jace's death was awful. "It's..... (ten second pause) Jace"

Jace's death scene was well done, I thought even Kat was good in that scene.

I liked Anthony Stewart Head's cameo as the voice of Raziel.

• Love 3

I think Matthew is pretty ok at the lighter moments, but when he has to act out the more dramatic scenes, he just...falls short. Which is a damn shame, because I still consider Alec one of my favourite characters. Random way to bring back together Malec, as well. They just ended their relationship, Magnus ends up being a dick to him pretty much all episode, Alec claims he can't think straight since the breakup which is contradictory to what we've seen, and all is well? What was the point of the breakup, then? 

Dominic is still, by far, the best actor on this damn show. I'm not surprised he was killed, since they promoted this big death and Kat's crying face in the previews made it clear it had to have been Jace (or Luke or Simon, but they wouldn't have been able to resist Jace). Kat even did a pretty decent job with his death scene. But it was laughable that she just assumed that Jace's resurrection was consequence-free. 

I'm getting real annoyed by the way Izzy smirks like she's all knowing. I'm not sure where they're taking her character. I hope Emeraude can get some more acting lessons with Matthew in their time off, because her acting is almost as weak as his. She bugs me on and off with her acting, and this episode seemed to highlight that. 

Of course Simon took the deal with the Seelie Queen. Maia won't be happy to hear that. But Seelie Queen's an idiot if she didn't know that Valentine was trying to rid the world of all demons, Seelies included. Like, what an idiot. I thought she was supposed to be all-knowing or smart or something. Did the showrunners think that Valentine/Seelie Queen team-up would be a fun twist for the last episode and then went "Oh shit, what did he tell her?" when they started writing for the finale? Because that's what it felt like.

So, Valentine's finally dead and the new big bad will be....Demon Queen? Well, as long as she resurrects Jonathan, which is seems like she will (interesting parallel to Jace's resurrection too), then all will be well. I just don't think  Demon Queen will be enough for season 3. 

• Love 1

I thought Jocelyn was resurrected too but now that I recall Jonathan being injected with demon blood, he would have an additional 'mother.' I am sure he will be raised and more powerful than ever. Tudor was brought on as a guest but is the show's strongest and most compelling actor lol. 

What is wrong with Jace? It always annoys me when he or anyone says "Don't tell anyone (insert problem here)" when in fact that's exactly what needs to happen. I suppose that is for storyline purposes but it still bothers me. Alec needs to know more than anyone.

Alec definitely didn't pull off the agony he should have felt at losing his parabatai. Kat's acting was better but still wince worthy. I'd have been devastated to lose my man lol. Blubbering all over the place OR in azz kicking mode before losing it. 

Poor Simon/Maia can't catch a break. They need to take a vacation cause they are deep in the drama. What does the Seelie want with him? To study him? Does she feel he can be powerful or does she have a crush and want Simon to be one of her court flunkies? lol 

I miss Rapheal. That's my boo thang :-) He may be 4'5 but his confidence is 7ft tall haha

Edited by epdal
  • Love 2

Most the way though binging this show.  I watched the first three episodes when they first aired and was not impressed.  But I have been home sick and this level of stupid seemed appropriate. The show is not good, but not terrible. I agree with most people about the weak acting from several on the main actors.  And the writing is inconsistent, but it's fun.  I do have some quibbles. 

• The show cannot decide how old Magnus actually is.  He says he's "hundreds" of years old.  But also makes reference to things in the Roman Empire and ancient Egypt.  
  • The show intermittently forgets Simon is jewish unless it is plot relevant.  When he first turned, he said something about how he was going to be hated for who he was now that he was a vampire.... Um, yeah.  No practicing Jew, or even person of Jewish descent, has gotten to 18 years old without experiencing some anti-semintism.  It doesn't happen daily, but it happens.  And while I'm sure being a part demon was a new level.  It was just an odd thing to say. But then in this season he gives a speech later on about his grandmother's experience in WWII Poland.   Asking for mu shu pork was a minor quibble.  But since it followed the idiotic discrimination comment, I noted it.
  • Where the hell was Jonathan while Jace was growing up?  Like, was Valentine bouncing between raising the two boys?  Jonathan seemed to know who Jace was, but Jace didn't have any idea Valentine was raising another boy his age. 
  • Did they screen test Katherine McNanamara and Dominic Sherwood? Because, yikes.  I have actually seen her in other things and didn't think she was that bad.  And she had some chemistry with other. And sometimes she seems to have some on this show, but none with Dominic.  I thought she had some even with Simon, at least a friends.  The romantic relationship was lame. 
  • Is Max the only child Shadowhunter? Is he some kind of prodigy?  Are the rest of his contemporaries really dumb and just didn't pass their courses?  It's just super odd that he is the only one even close to his age we have ever seen. 
  • The Clave and the institute are assholes.  This appears to be intentional canon.  But they are also wicked inept.  The had 2 of the three Mortal Instruments in their possession and lost them. Why did they think it was a good idea for them to be in possession of the third one?*

Now for the good (I prefer ending on positives): 

• I really love Magnus (however old he is) and Malec.  Sure, Harry Shum carries most of it.  But Alec is good too with him. I think Matthew is one of those actors who elevates his acting when his scene partner is better. 
  • I like that this show makes the friendships as important, if not more so, as the romantic pairings.  Izzy's relationship with both Clary and Simon is nice. And, though also siblings, Jac, Alec, and Izzy are good together and seem to genuinely love and enjoy each other.  I wish the show spent a little more time on Izzy/Jace.  But they all works. 
  • Maia is good too.  And I liked her talk with Izzy. 
  • I like that the secondary characters seem to have lives and histories that are not directly in service to the main characters, for instance Magnus and Raphael. 

*Edited to add:  Hahahaha... The only Mortal Instrument the Institute doesn't is the one that isn't.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

I cannot stop laughing at the idea that men named JC/ Jayce(sus)/Jonathan Christopher were resurrected.  I'm high as shit on cold medicine, so that probably isn't as funny as I find it.  But hahahaha... 

In other news, WTF Show?  Can Simon and Maia have 5 minutes to be together? Dicks.  At least this time he wasn't kidnapped.... technically.  

10 hours ago, RachelKM said:
  • The show cannot decide how old Magnus actually is.  He says he's "hundreds" of years old.  But also makes reference to things in the Roman Empire and ancient Egypt. 

It's a very odd thing, indeed. I think, even in the episode where Clary is scanning through warlocks to find to bring back her mother, they pause on Magnus' profile and they have his age as unknown. I don't think they even know how old he's supposed to be.

• Where the hell was Jonathan while Jace was growing up?  Like, was Valentine bouncing between raising the two boys?  Jonathan seemed to know who Jace was, but Jace didn't have any idea Valentine was raising another boy his age. 

I'm assuming Valentine just kept both boys in separate locations. I mean, Valentine did need to switch from Jace's fake father to being himself again. I assume Valentine told Jonathan about Jace many times. 

• Did they screen test Katherine McNanamara and Dominic Sherwood? Because, yikes.  I have actually seen her in other things and didn't think she was that bad.  And she had some chemistry with other. And sometimes she seems to have some on this show, but none with Dominic.  I thought she had some even with Simon, at least a friends.  The romantic relationship was lame. 

Both actors seem to have better chemistry with virtually anyone else. Katherine has good chemistry with Alberto, and Dominic elevates scenes with basically any other character. But when they're together, they're just very....blah. I don't think it's just the writing, either. It's odd, though, because I've watched interviews with the cast and Katherine and Dominic have a good, easy going friendship in these interviews. They've bantered a few times, and they seem like they really do work well together. So maybe a large part of it is the writing and how they're just very bland and serious together. Maybe if they had more fun, their scenes would work better. 

• Is Max the only child Shadowhunter? Is he some kind of prodigy?  Are the rest of his contemporaries really dumb and just didn't pass their courses?  It's just super odd that he is the only one even close to his age we have ever seen. 

Apparently, most Shadowhunters are children when they start going on missions (as discussed by Alec and Isabelle once). But they do determine Max as the top of his class, and the first in his class to pass. As for why there aren't any other children around...no idea. They probably don't want to cast more kids, but if Max is going to return next season in a recurring capacity, where he'll be around more often, they need to cast kids, even if they're just extras in the background. It's ridiculous and irritating to have him the only kid around. I also just don't care about Max in any way. 

• The Clave and the institute are assholes.  This appears to be intentional canon.  But they are also wicked inept.  The had 2 of the three Mortal Instruments in their possession and lost them. Why did they think it was a good idea for them to be in possession of the third one?*

I'm still waiting for the season where we meet more members of the Clave and they become the Big Bads that the New York Institute turn against. Now, that would be fun because the Clave is the worst. The Institute itself isn't that much better but since Alec is running it, there's a chance for it to become less awful. 

• I really love Magnus (however old he is) and Malec.  Sure, Harry Shum carries most of it.  But Alec is good too with him. I think Matthew is one of those actors who elevates his acting when his scene partner is better. 

I agree. As someone who just recently binged both seasons, I found myself noticing the acting, especially when it comes to Matthew. It helps that the actor is the number one advocate for Malec on that show, because you can see the effort he does put in with those scenes, and most of the time, it works. I'll admit, sometimes he falters and his acting slips considerably. However, I think Matthew plays happy better than serious or dramatic. He's able to make the lighter moments work better than the dramatic/angsty moments. I think Matthew's at his worst when he has the really angsty moments to play, but since Malec is more light hearted most of the time, it works well. 

• I like that this show makes the friendships as important, if not more so, as the romantic pairings.  Izzy's relationship with both Clary and Simon is nice. And, though also siblings, Jac, Alec, and Izzy are good together and seem to genuinely love and enjoy each other.  I wish the show spent a little more time on Izzy/Jace.  But they all works. 

I'd kill for more Izzy/Jace scenes. 

On 10/5/2017 at 6:40 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Apparently, most Shadowhunters are children when they start going on missions (as discussed by Alec and Isabelle once). But they do determine Max as the top of his class, and the first in his class to pass. As for why there aren't any other children around...no idea. They probably don't want to cast more kids, but if Max is going to return next season in a recurring capacity, where he'll be around more often, they need to cast kids, even if they're just extras in the background. It's ridiculous and irritating to have him the only kid around. I also just don't care about Max in any way. 

I know they said Max was top of his class.  But there's "top of his class" and then there is "no one else in the last 7 years has had sufficient marks to permit training.... also All the Lightwood raised Shadowhunters as years ahead......" 

On 2017-10-12 at 6:44 PM, RachelKM said:

I know they said Max was top of his class.  But there's "top of his class" and then there is "no one else in the last 7 years has had sufficient marks to permit training.... also All the Lightwood raised Shadowhunters as years ahead......" 

It makes sense to me that the other Shadowhunter children are trained in  Idris and assigned to an institute where their parents or siblings would be. What I never understood is why the exiled Lightwoods would be put in charge of such a large/important city's institute, but minor quibble. It's also interesting that they managed to cast Alec/Izzy/Marys/Robert to have a pretty believable family resemblance, and then we have readheaded Max.

I can also fanwank that Daddario's acting skills work for the character. In the books Alec comes across awkward and kind of nerdy, so Daddario's woodenness perfectly fits a character that struggles to emote and let go. I've never really cringed at his acting because even badly delivered lines seem to fit the character.

• Love 1

From that promo, clearly Freeform doesn't understand the least interesting part of the show is the Jace-Clary relationship...or any(thing) romantic relationship involving Clary for that matter.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 3

Season 3 starts on March 20. You can discuss all episodes from the season here.

Please note that this thread is a book talk free zone, should you wish to compare the show to the books please do so in the Books Vs. Show topic.

That was like an actual good episode. Alec and Magnus were good. Jace's death PTSD was good. Clary wasn't insufferable. Luke's partner's interest in the supernatural was fleshed out and actually made sense. What the Seelie Queen wanted with Simon was ambiguous enough to be disconcerting. Izzy got to have a story without too much boy drama. And Lilith was actually scary.

• Love 3

Decent epi indeed... Clary wasn't insufferable.. Mainly because she didn't have to talk to have.. Or break some rule that makes total sense... But for mostly selfish reasons she breaks them anyway... Still wish her father daughter relationship with Luke was more fleshed out... He raised her.. Maybe its how its written or how its acted.. But he feels more like her moms boyfriend of like two years and that's not the case... Izzy may not have drama yet but there was that handsome doctor... Wonder who Raphael is keeping asleep.. He's always been one of my faves

Just weird observations:

Nude lady covered in crude oil, her nickname can be Texas-T(ea)-girl

Doctor Tim (his poor wife) he had a good transformation

Loved when demon girl screamed when Doctor Tim was destroyed

Isabelle should just stick to wearing short skirts and leave the guys alone.

Thought Simon was singing too "high" for his vocal range.

I thought, for a premiere, it was pretty solid. The only thing I didn't like was Luke's dick behaviour toward his partner. I understand him trying to protect her from the supernatural world, but the way he went about it could have totally backfired on him. So I'm glad she was finally let in on it. It'll actually be safer for her to know, since she is a partner with a werewolf. I did like her being fleshed out as well, even if I can't remember her name right off the bat.

Jace's PTSD stuff was good, although he really should at least be talking to Clary about it. Alec catching on is no surprise. He pretty much knows that Jace was somehow resurrected and he's not going to budge from that thought. Now it's waiting to see if he can put two and two together with how. Either way, Alec's going to be pissed when he does find out the full truth and that Clary and Jace were lying to him the entire time. Izzy also seems to have caught on somewhat, or at least she knows something is up. 

The Alec/Magnus stuff was good. It seems like Magnus is on track to a good storyline this season, and Alec may be taking more of a backseat, which is fine with me. More Magnus is a great idea. It is nice to see how much Alec has changed, as well. 

So, Izzy gets a new love interest. Charlie, I think the doctor's name is? My natural suspicious nature is thinking that he's evil or will be evil, because Izzy can't have nice things. Also, I'm going to miss her with Raphael, who also has a good plot going with random girl he's keeping asleep....perhaps to use her to help his dying sister? 

Clary/Jace had some actually ok moments. Huh. Also, Clary/Luke had some nice moments.

So, Simon has been branded with something. Of course, Seelie Queen can't let him know what she did, because it's not important to the plot yet and she wants the viewers to be surprised. \

Lilith was....actually decently done. Way better than I'd give them credit for. I actually thoroughly enjoyed her. 

23 minutes ago, doram said:

Also on a confusing note, Lilith looks a lot like Izzy. Like there's an uncanny resemblance between the two. There'd better be a plot-relevant reason for this or it's casting fail. 

I thought so too! When Lilith appeared in the hospital to stare at the babies, I completely thought it was Izzy for a split second. I wonder if we're going to have a case of mistaken identity with Lilith and Izzy at some point, or if it was just a coincidental casting choice. 

14 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I thought so too! When Lilith appeared in the hospital to stare at the babies, I completely thought it was Izzy for a split second. I wonder if we're going to have a case of mistaken identity with Lilith and Izzy at some point, or if it was just a coincidental casting choice. 

It is Canada.. Anna Hopkins always finds work. Wouldn't be surprised if Capt Canada Roger Cross doesn't end up on the show in some way soon.. Or Adrian Holmes as he's been killed off Arrow

So much to like in tonight's episode:
Malec!! Wow, where was this Alec? Completely in on his relationship with Magnus, even to the point of playing with the new high warlock. I've never been so attracted to Alec. This is what we want show!!!

Jace calling Simon for date advice was pure gold.  Simon definitely has the advantage when it comes to relationships.

Am I the only one who thought that the head warlock was trying to seduce Alec?

So it looks like Sebastian is back from the dead next week.  Yay? Personally, I'm just happy to see  Will Tudor again.

• Love 2

I also liked this episode a lot.

Malec was a highlight. It is nice to see Alec so mellowed out, especially after the last two seasons of him being very high strung and controlling. Him being happy with Magnus really suits him. It's a nice change to see him go be a supportive boyfriend, and he got some humourous moments with the new high warlock. Like I've said before, Matthew Daddario's stronger moments are with the comedy aspects of the show. Finding out a little more about Magnus' family was great. I assume we will see Asmodeus at some point this season? It was great to see Malec working together as well. 

Hey, Sav from Degrassi? Shut up. I'm glad he was banished because I get the worry about destroying the Institute, but defying Alec was a dick move, especially since that could have very well killed him if Magnus' magic went haywire. I guess, for him and his buddies who defied orders, killing Alec was better than potentially killing others? I get it, but I also don't get it. 

Jace calling Simon for restaurant advice was pure gold. I also will take that hilariously placed line about Simon getting why Maia would sleep with Jace...because he would too. I did chuckle at Jace's struggle to plan a mundane date, Clary being fine with a communal table, only to find out that they'd be sharing it with Simon and Maia. I also laughed at Jace's blurt about Maia's butterfly tattoo. I forgot that only Izzy had known about Maia and Jace before this episode. 

Speaking of Izzy, I'm not really sure what they're planning with her. We've only seen her throw herself into work for this episode, and suddenly it's about her not having a life? I mean, the girl just got out of an addiction storyline last season, which included a drug fueled romance with Raphael. If she wants to throw herself into work for a while, let her. I actually like the little changes they've made to this season, with showing more of the jobs being done in the Institute. We've barely seen the weapons department, so it's great to see Izzy running that. Also, seeing her planted at the computers that are often just set pieces. 

I'm enjoying Luke getting more scenes with people, particularly Clary. I feel like we didn't get enough of that last season, so it's nice that Clary still has her father figure. 

And...Simon's Seelie Queen brand has revealed that he's...untouchable in dangerous situations? Ok, I can roll with that, for the sheer reason that the end scene looked super cool. 

• Love 2
On 3/21/2018 at 7:54 AM, UNOSEZ said:

Capt Canada Roger Cross

*Falls over laughing* Its true, that dude is everywhere! Its like he comes with the Canadian film sets! 

So my binge of the rest of the show has finally got me here, and thank god, because this season is actually off to a super promising start. I like the more light moments, in between the darker plot stuff with the demon queen. 

So, while demons and murderous genocidal lunatics are certainly bad, the real evil infecting New York is...awkward social situations! Dear god, you can tell Jace isnt any good at dating the "normal" way, because those communal tables are the never ending source of awkwardness on any day, something to be avoided if you can, let alone a day you get seated right next to your girlfriends life long BFF and ex boyfriend who is on a date with his current girlfriend, who you hooked up with in an alley one time. Who also drank your blood one memorable time. That was pretty hilarious, and the increasing levels of awkward hit that sweet spot of being funny, while not making me want to turn the TV off in horror at the awkwardness. Also, Simon and his little bottle of blood to put on his food was funny and makes me nostalgic for the early season of Izombie

Alec sure has chilled out hasn't he? Amazing what a boyfriend and nice magic shampoo will do for a person. Looks like the season will have more Warlock drama, which should be a lot of fun. Also nice seeing Madzie, and how much she loves Alec and vice versa. I was freaking dying during Alec and Magnuses secret mission, and their sneaking around while Alec tried to be a distraction, to varying degrees of success "I...dabble" which basically turned into a sitcom for about 10 minutes. In a good way. Also, pretty sure the new high warlock might be interested in getting to know Alec in not just a professional capacity. Either because its a power play against Magnus (yeah, I got your job AND and I banged your boyfriend. What up)or because...Alec is ridiculously attractive and can pretend to find his pretension interesting. Or both. But, I highly doubt Alec would be into that. He and Magnus spend almost every scene this season shooting heart eyes at each other, so I doubt he is going to get too far. So cute, I just cant. Actually, its kind of weird seeing all three of the main couples in a relatively good place, all at once. How long do you think thats going to last? 

Honestly, as much as I think the Lilith stuff seems promisingly creepy, I can totally get behind the show spending more time on just the characters hanging out and doing normal stuff, that doesn't have much to do with the plot, and is just fun and builds character and the world they live in. If they keep it up, this could be a really solid season. 

• Love 2

I can't believe that the writers actually had Simon say that it was only a matter of time until he sleeps with Jace. ;) The Jimon fan fiction writers are going to have a field day.

I enjoyed this second episode a lot more than the season premiere, which I thought was a bit lacklustre. So much to like in this second episode though: from the awkward double date to Malec being all domestic and then going on a mission together, Jace and Clary going on a date together, this is the stuff I want to see. I loved Jace calling Simon for restaurant advice but did not appreciate Jace just hanging up on him, so rude.

Alec being so comfortable in his own skin and even flirting with the new High Warlock a little bit to distract him was great to see. He really has come a long way from the closeted guy he was in season 1. Malec seems to be stronger than ever right now and it's so nice to see the boys just being happy, after all the drama they went through. However, knowing this show, it probably won't last.

It was also lovely seeing Jace's emotional side in this episode. His heartfelt speech to Clary was very moving and Dom did a good job conveying all the emotions. Also kudos to the show using Emmit Fenn's beautiful song "Blinded" in that scene.

Having read the books, I was not surprised by what happened at the end with Simon's mark. Still, it was cool to see it on screen and I'm curious if the writers will continue to follow the books in this respect or if they will put their own spin on it.

So Sebastian is gonna be back next week? Awesome! I love Will Tudor's portrayal of the character.

Edited by IntrovertGal
  • Love 1
On 3/21/2018 at 8:14 AM, doram said:

It wasn't bad for a season premiere. I'm intrigued. I was surprised at how disappointed I was that they didn't push Raphael/Izzy although that could just be temporary.

Book-spoilery question:

Reveal hidden contents

Does Simon have the Mark of Cain yet?

Also on a confusing note, Lilith looks a lot like Izzy. Like there's an uncanny resemblance between the two. There'd better be a plot-relevant reason for this or it's casting fail. 

It appears from the end of the episode that that’s what the Seelie Queen gave him.