Type keyword(s) to search

Shadowhunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

First trailer and 2 clips from the show.

Can't say I'm too impressed so far, which sucks 'cause I really want to like it. It all seems very cheap and not well acted. Harry Shum Jr as Magnus seems to be the best so far. (The two guys as Circle members in the second clip are absolutely terrible). Matthew Daddario (Alec) and Emeraude Toubia (Isabelle) look the part in motion. Dominic Sherwood is growing on me the more times I watch

ETA: Okay, the more I watch, the more I like. Maybe it's lowered expectations or something. I liked the fight scene in Pandemonium apart from the random sparkles/pixels for blood, though what was up with Isabelle's random dance? - it reminded me of Sucker Punch. Also, one of Izzy's hits was way off the guy's face

Edited by Hybridcookie

Cassandra Clare is being sued for copyright infringement over Shadowhunters series.

I recall hearing about Kenyon's issue with CC's use of "Dark-hunters" back when the book was first published. Honestly, I don't know if her current lawsuit has any merit; while I obviously wouldn't put it past CC to rip off another author, a lot of the stuff mentioned just seems like generic fantasy shit. I've heard that the actual documented evidence beyond what's being reported is more compelling, but just going by basic media reports, IDK. Regardless, I've definitely come down with a massive case of schadenfreude because this couldn't have happened to a nicer person. And at the very least, it's drawn more attention to her bad behavior over the years. 

ETA: One thing I have to take issue with is how the media is saying that CC dropped the 'i' in Claire in an attempt to hide her past. C'mon. She's not that dumb. The reason she dropped the 'i' is because someone had already bought the cassandraclaire.com domain and was using it to forward people to CC's fanlore history.

Edited by galax-arena

Well, she's most infamous for being a Big Name Fan in the Harry Potter fandom who plagiarized from numerous television shows/books for her fanfic. But you know what, forget that... well, don't forget it, but her bigger crime (IMO) is what a huge bully she was and is. She's just... not a nice person. At one point she'd sic one of her lawyer buddies on people to threaten them from mentioning anything about her plagiarism. This tumblr post sorta provides a primer on a lot of her antics. And she has the nerve to say that people who bring up her past are bullying her? Ha.

The cherry on top for me is how unpleasant she is even to her fans. Like... I can understand the rationale for being nasty towards your haters, even if siccing your fans/lawyer buddies to harass them is obviously over the top. But I don't understand being an asshole to your own fans. I can't help but compare her to Stephenie Meyer. Say what you will about Meyer's writing talent (or lack thereof), but I have never heard of her being anything but pleasant and gracious towards her readers.

ETA: Oh, there's also her entry on Fan History. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 1

That article has a few missteps. A few:

(Clare’s fiction came with notations informing readers that her work included such quotes.)

She only posted that disclaimer after being called out for it the first time.

or, worse yet, she seemed to be repudiating her own origins in that community by changing the spelling of her name.

Uh no. Most people who were involved in Harry Potter fandom around that time - which, as the writer acknowledges, her friends "with deep roots in fandom" weren't - don't think that Cassie was trying to distance herself from the community by changing her last name. Yes, she is trying to distance herself to position herself as a "legit" author, but changing her name had nothing to do with it and a lot of people familiar with the wank are aware of that. Yes, her name change was largely motivated by making it more difficult to link her professional identity to her wanky past via google, but at the same time she wanted that built-in fanfic audience, which is why she only changed one letter instead of using her real name or a completely different pseudonym. (It is true that she is reticent to be open about her fandom roots, which a lot of people don't like, but no one who knows anything about the controversy thinks that her name change is representative of that.)

ETA: Based on what I know of the lawsuit, I don't think it should necessarily prevail. I'm just rolling my eyes at these writers who think that people don't have legitimate grievances against Clare while their articles get this shit wrong. 

Edited by galax-arena

Honestly, I don't know if her current lawsuit has any merit; while I obviously wouldn't put it past CC to rip off another author, a lot of the stuff mentioned just seems like generic fantasy shit.

I don't know if it has any merit or not as a claim, but claims for Copyright Infringement have to list every single form of similarity between the works, which because those tend to naturally come from works in the same genre tends to mean a lot of really tedious links every work in the genre has. Presumable if the case has merit it has some really strong core it's arguing from(like the Underworld vs World of Darkness case looked pretty ridiculous if you look at the list of similarities, but the core was a strong similarity to a novel).

Yes, there are people who will act entitled about this, but that doesn't explain the sheer level of vitriol towards Cassie Clare compared to other fanfic authors who have "made good." So I don't agree that people mostly hate her for being so successful. SRB might have been on the receiving end of hostility, but she doesn't get half the shit that CC does. Naomi Novik is also an accomplished profic writer with deep roots in fandom (as astolat; you could have knocked me over with a feather when I found out that the two were the same person) and while of course she has her detractors - a lot of people seem to have issues re: her involvement with AO3 - she doesn't get the same sort of seething vitriol that's directed at CC, either.

I frequent an anonymous fandom meme/mb. Mention SRB or Novik? Eh, you might see more negativity than positivity (because I'm not disagreeing that entitlement isn't an issue at all in fandom), but people are pretty level about it. Mention CC? Might as well jump naked and bleeding into the ocean in a middle of a shark feeding frenzy.

I have never understood the shark tank that is fanfic.  I wrote a few pieces that were well received, and that was enough to become aware of the claws that come out in that world.  I did do some research into the Cassie Clare "controversy" and decided based on what I read that she seems to be not a very nice person and has some questionable ethics. Having said that, I do also think she's a terrific writer, pretty talented, and I'm enjoying Lady Midnight, so I hate knowing that she's not a person I'd like to support. It kind of makes me feel guilty for enjoying her work.

I'm glad the show was renewed. Despite its shortcomings, I do look forward to it every week. Maybe Kat McNamara can get some acting classes over the summer.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 1

I have never understood the shark tank that is fanfic.  I wrote a few pieces that were well received, and that was enough to become aware of the claws that come out in that world.  I did do some research into the Cassie Clare "controversy" and decided based on what I read that she seems to be not a very nice person and has some questionable ethics. Having said that, I do also think she's a terrific writer, pretty talented, and I'm enjoying Lady Midnight, so I hate knowing that she's not a person I'd like to support. It kind of makes me feel guilty for enjoying her work.

If I had to disregard a writer for having opinions that differs from mine/questionable work ethics etc, I'd a) not have many to read and b) spend way to much time hunting down information on the authors. (That said, some things are too terrible. I won't read another word by Orson Scott Card and I'll never listen to another song by Lostprophets). So don't feel guilty - she's not out there killing puppies. As for her writing, I enjoy it for what it is: fairly uncomplicated fantasy romps (the ones set in Victorian London were better written, I think) and while I prefer the original fanfic to her Mortal Instrument-series (they were my entry to the wider fandom world and for that they'll always carry a special place in my heart), I'll still buy and read her books.

astolat is Naomi Novik?! Well, I'll be... ;)

• Love 4

Well, it looks like someone gave Kat acting lessons over the summer. I have much higher hopes for this season than season 1. 

Started different one because I messed up date format. 

Edited by AmandaPanda
39 minutes ago, murf1013 said:

And be still my heart ... this Malec shipper is happy tonight.

I'm happy as well but jeez Alec you got a topless Magnus and you don't even try to make out with him? Magnus has  Alec lying down shirtless  on his couch and he doesn't even jump on top of him? ARGH! This season better have Malec consummating their relationship very soon. Either that, or they have the two of them going clubbing so we can see Harry's awesome dancing again. Also, Mrs. Lightwood getting some comeuppance for being such a completely heartless bitch, as in Izzy and Alec disowning her or some form of gruesome disfigurement. God, the woman raises Jace and Alec as parabati and she throws him under the bus. She deserves whatever happens to her.

I just can't believe that Simon had the perfect opportunity to tell Clarey how he feels about her and he totally blew it. I really hope he gets to make a snack out of the new guy in charge of the Institute.

But as always they made ample use of the eye candy tonight. Yowza, those guys are hot. Simon and Lucian were the only ones who kept their shirts on.

So since Jace has demon blood in him is that how they're writing Dominic's heterochromia into the show? If it is, that's pretty clever of them.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, madhacker said:

I'm happy as well but jeez Alec you got a topless Magnus and you don't even try to make out with him? Magnus has topless Alec lying down on his couch and he doesn't even jump on top of him? ARGH! This season better have Malec consummating their relationship very soon. Either that, or they have the two of them going clubbing so we can see Harry's awesome dancing again. Also, Mrs. Lightwood getting some comeuppance for being such a completely heartless bitch, as in Izzy and Alec disowning her or some form of gruesome disfigurement. God, the woman raises Jace and Alec as parabati and she throws him under the bus. She deserves whatever happens to her.

I just can't believe that Simon had the perfect opportunity to tell Clarey how he feels about her and he totally blew it. I really hope he gets to make a snack out of the new guy in charge of the Institute.

But as always they made ample use of the eye candy tonight. Yowza, those guys are hot. Simon and Lucian were the only ones who kept their shirts on.

So since Jace has demon blood in him is that how they're writing Dominic's heterochromia into the show? If it is, that's pretty clever of them.

Jace doesn't have heterochromia in the books, and the demon blood storyline is in the books so I doubt it. But it would be convenient to use it for sure. 

• Love 1

Yay glad the show is back! I agree, Katherine's acting was much better, much more natural. Maybe the new showrunners gave her a few pointers. Also, I'm happy the show doesn't look so cheap anymore, big improvement from season 1 indeed.

Watching Alec being a jerk to Magnus sucked but hey at least he apologised in the end and there was flirting. However, I hope that Malec won't just lovingly stare into each other's eyes all season, I want to see some more action between those two.

This show is still good though with providing the male eye candy, I approve.

I hope they will do a better job with the parabatai bond this season. It wasn't really emphasized enough and written well enough for my liking in season 1. This season premiere was a pretty good start, at least on Alec's side, so fingers crossed.

I was quite surprised that they revealed that Valentine injected Jace with demon blood and experimented on him so early in the season, it happens much later in the books. But maybe they will combine parts of books 2 and 3 in this second season.

Simon had a few funny oneliners in this premiere which made me chuckle. Rafael (I hope he shows up soon) should better teach Simon how to become a better vampire though, his encanto was so pathetic.

33 minutes ago, IntrovertGal said:

I was quite surprised that they revealed that Valentine injected Jace with demon blood and experimented on him so early in the season, it happens much later in the books. But maybe they will combine parts of books 2 and 3 in this second season.

I didn't like that they had Jace have a memory of that happening.  How would he have a memory when he was in the womb? Or was that something else? Not a memory? It was weird.  

5 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I didn't like that they had Jace have a memory of that happening.  How would he have a memory when he was in the womb? Or was that something else? Not a memory? It was weird.  

Valentine was showing him his own memories.

Edited by Asha124
48 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

Thanks for starting the thread, @Pixel

Since traffic wasn't super heavy last season and the site isn't covering it with recaps, we're just going to do one thread for all season 2 episodes. 

Oops. Hope that was ok! 

I don't think it bodes well for the show that there's not much action in here. I hope that changes.

Week 2, I continue to feel that the acting has improved and that this season has much more potential.

2 hours ago, Hybridcookie said:

Jocelyn calling Jace a "flower killing monster" was hilarious. I'm liking Season 2 a lot better than Season 1 so far, especially the Jace and Valentine stuff

Agreed on both counts. The quality of season 2 is higher in all aspects. It's interesting to see Jace struggle with himself and against his father. Seeing baby Jace with the black eyes was creepy.

In this week's episode I especially enjoyed the Alec and Izzy working together scenes, Alec saying that he needs Jace and Simon finally mastering his encanto. Plus his camaraderie with Magnus was fun. Oh and I was pleased by the return of sassy Raphael, even if his scene with Simon was way too short for my liking.

Alec'd better not be seriously hurt. Hopefully, Magnus and/or Jace can fix him.

I agree that season two is better.  It has a darker tone, which makes the storytelling more dramatic and believable rather than whimsical.  I like the darker tone they are taking with Jace and how Valentine is trying desperately to manipulate him.  I have to say I feel bad for the guy because his parents are the WORST.  His mother is trying to kill him; his father is torturing him to get him to join his killer force of Shadowhunters, and his adopted mother is writing him off.   The only people on Jace's side is Alec and Izzy (and of course, Clary).  I'm not so sure I'd be thrilled to rejoin the Shadowhunters after all this.  Now Jace is going to be accused of killing that werewolf woman when he didn't kill her.  I still find Clary a bit of a bore, but she is much better this year than last.  I also hope the writers break out Alec more than just a brooding guy who is mad at the world.  

Overall, I am really enjoying this new season.

Edited by Bishop
1 hour ago, doram said:

Fun fact: the first book was told exclusively from Clary's PoV and (imo) was the weakest of the 6. But book 2 really "grew the beard" and was a far richer story. It was also told from several PoVs as well. So there were at least 3 storylines occurring. 

Book 2 is still my favourite. I'm liking the season so much more than the last one, the writing's better and the acting's definitely improved.

I really liked this episode. Lots of Jace. Maia was awesome and I really liked that scene in Magnus' loft

As a huge fan of the Jace and Alec relationship (both in the books and on the show), I really enjoyed "Parabatai Lost" a lot, probably my favourite episode of season 2 so far. I have to admit that I got a bit teary when Jace was saving Alec's life and both boys got all emotional, such a beautiful scene well acted by both Dominic Sherwood and Matthew Daddario. Plus we got Jace and Alec flashbacks, which was great. The actor playing young Alec even sort of looked a bit like Matthew.

I also liked the introduction of Maia and the fact that there were more Raphael scenes. Alberto Rosende portrayed Simon's inner struggle pretty well, he can do dramatic scenes just as well as funny ones. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Simon coming to terms with his new vampire life and how he will have to say goodbye to things and people from his old life, should make for a nice dramatic arc.

Colour me shocked but Jocelyn finally did something right in this episode! Glad she rediscovered her maternal feelings for Jace and saved him from the werewolves (at least for a little while). Jace really cannot catch a break, can he? He is going from one horrible situation to the next. But I guess he's better off with the Clave than with Valentine. Plus I'm sure the gang will figure out a way to keep Jace safe from harm.

Season two has gotten better, I agree mostly because Clary has been pushed to the back burner, but I think there are still some glaring flaws.  First off the story is moving too fast in my opinion, we never really got defining charter moments for anyone other than Clary and Simon.  Then there is the whole portrayal of the Jace/Alec bromance.  In the books, in was a bit lopsided with Alec always following along and Jace mostly calling the shots, but in the show Jace plays more like an emotionally abusive husband.  Anytime Alec disagrees with him, he jumps all over him and then tells him it is his fault that Jace had to get mad.  We've also seen Alec willing to harm himself to protect Jace but last night was the first time we have seen Jace even caring what happens to Alec unless it directly affects him.  It's kind of weird and doesn't seem true to the relationship they were supposed to have.  

Edited by Greytrunner
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2017 at 2:09 AM, HunterHunted said:

This season is darker, but I think the show has benefited from dumping Clary as a primary storyline.

I agree.  I am new to Shadowhunters and never read the books.  So I don't know the backstories, but since the show has become more dramatic, darker and focused on stronger characters - namely Jace, Alec, and even Valentine - I'm enjoying it much more.

20 hours ago, IntrovertGal said:

As a huge fan of the Jace and Alec relationship (both in the books and on the show), I really enjoyed "Parabatai Lost" a lot, probably my favourite episode of season 2 so far. I have to admit that I got a bit teary when Jace was saving Alec's life and both boys got all emotional, such a beautiful scene well acted by both Dominic Sherwood and Matthew Daddario. Plus we got Jace and Alec flashbacks, which was great. The actor playing young Alec even sort of looked a bit like Matthew.

That was great acting on the part of Dominic Sherwood who really sold his love for his brother.  (Alec/Matthew had to play unconscious the entire episode, but he got to shine last week).  That is what was missing from last season from the characters - emotion where you believed what they were going through and believed what they were feeling.  I, too, enjoyed seeing the flashbacks to get a sense of how these two became the brothers they are, but I think the kid actors were average at best.

Colour me shocked but Jocelyn finally did something right in this episode! Glad she rediscovered her maternal feelings for Jace and saved him from the werewolves (at least for a little while). Jace really cannot catch a break, can he? He is going from one horrible situation to the next. But I guess he's better off with the Clave than with Valentine. Plus I'm sure the gang will figure out a way to keep Jace safe from harm.

If I were Jace, I wouldn't trust her either.  She tried to kill him only moments before, but I did like the scene between them, and I agree.  Jace can't catch a break for nothing, but I am enjoying seeing the usually confident Jace's world tipped upside down.  The poor guy.  If they focus the story on Jace and Alec, as they are, I think that will bode well for the series overall.  

15 hours ago, Greytrunner said:

First off the story is moving too fast in my opinion, we never really got defining charter moments for anyone other than Clary and Simon.  Then there is the whole portrayal of the Jace/Alec bromance.  In the books, in was a bit lopsided with Alec always following along and Jace mostly calling the shots, but in the show Jace plays more like an emotionally abusive husband.  Anytime Alec disagrees with him, he jumps all over him and then tells him it is his fault that Jace had to get mad.  We've also seen Alec willing to harm himself to protect Jace but last night was the first time we have seen Jace even caring what happens to Alec unless it directly affects him.  It's kind of weird and doesn't seem true to the relationship they were supposed to have.  

Now I didn't see that at all.  I don't think Jace acts like an emotionally abusive husband towards Alec.  Both Alec and Jace have their flaws.  Alec is judgmental and cold a lot of the time, and the very way you describe how Jace treats him (which I don't think is accurate, imo) is exactly how Alec treats Clary.  He's always blaming her whenever anything happens to the people he loves.  I think Alec and Jace's relationship is depicted well.  I've never had a moment where I disliked how either of them treated the other.  Usually, I can understand where either of them is coming from, from a character perspective.  I do agree with you that it was nice to see Jace's devotion to Alec because usually we only are ever shown Alec's devotion to Jace.  So it was nice to see Jace risk his life and his freedom to save his brother as well as how emotional Jace got at the end when he thought he had lost Alec.  We never see Jace like that, and it was played really well. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bishop said:

Alec is judgmental and cold a lot of the time, and the very way you describe how Jace treats him (which I don't think is accurate, imo) is exactly how Alec treats Clary.

I agree that is how Alec treats Clary, however they were not supposed to have a pre existing "closer than brothers" relationship.  He was and often is a dick to her but that was his relationship with her in canon, at least at the beginning.  Maybe I am more forgiving of it because on screen she comes across as even more of a selfish nitwit than in the books, but I digress.  

As for Alec being treated badly by Jace, it was even lampshaded by Simon in the episode where Luke was remembering Idris.  Simon mentioned that Jace treats him like a dog and Jace gets defensive and says it isn't true without even a slight bit of self reflection.  Aside from that, I think it reads as emotionally abusive to me partially because of either the acting choices or blocking choices of many of the Jace/Alec scenes.  Jace is always standing straight and facing forward and erect, very assertive body language.  While Alec is usually hunched/slouching and often turning his face away from Jace, which is classic appeasing behavior.  This could be because the director trying to minimize the fairly significant height difference between the two actors or it could be a deliberate choice to show how much more submissive Alec is.  We also see Alec nearly always cave to Jace's request or demands but Jace never caves to what Alec wants, when they disagree.  The only time we do see Jace give in, it was clearly a plot device to get rid of the fighter with the range weapon to show how the Mortal Cup worked.  I think the scene that really did it for me was at the bachelor party, when Jace was "apologizing" to Alec, he basically discounted all of Alec's fairly significant concerns (lied to him, stole from him, humiliated him, and nearly got his sister killed) and said "I did what I thought was right," insinuating that Alec was wrong for not agreeing with him. He completely invalidates Alec's point of view and opinion by making them Alec's fault for not trusting him, which is a common tactic of abusers.  Think about their relationship and the way Jace treats him, if Alec were his wife or girlfriend.  To me, it would come across as very controlling (come do what I want regardless of your concerns) and abusive (if you don't agree with me you are wrong and that is why I had to do bad things, because you made me).  I know I would be thinking, "why don't you leave that a-hole" and "why do you keep taking him back after he ignores you and runs off leaving you to hold the bag?"  Your mileage may vary and that's cool.  I'm just explaining why it appears that way to me vs the way it was portrayed in the books.  Jace was much more affectionate and respectful of Alec in the books in my opinion than he is in the show.  If I hadn't read the books, I would think the two didn't even really like each other. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Greytrunner said:

I agree that is how Alec treats Clary, however they were not supposed to have a pre existing "closer than brothers" relationship.  He was and often is a dick to her but that was his relationship with her in canon, at least at the beginning.  Maybe I am more forgiving of it because on screen she comes across as even more of a selfish nitwit than in the books, but I digress.  

I agree with you about Clary, and since I haven't read the books, I am consuming the show and characters for the first time in the tv show.

Aside from that, I think it reads as emotionally abusive to me partially because of either the acting choices or blocking choices of many of the Jace/Alec scenes.  Jace is always standing straight and facing forward and erect, very assertive body language.  While Alec is usually hunched/slouching and often turning his face away from Jace, which is classic appeasing behavior.  This could be because the director trying to minimize the fairly significant height difference between the two actors or it could be a deliberate choice to show how much more submissive Alec is.  We also see Alec nearly always cave to Jace's request or demands but Jace never caves to what Alec wants, when they disagree.  

See, I always saw those scenes as Alec desperately fighting his feelings for Jace - who is oblivious (at least at first blush).  I have never viewed Alec as being submissive to Jace or Jace seeing Alec as "less than" him.  It's typical big brother actions, even though Alec is suppose to be older.  I really think Alec's closeted sexuality is the reason for his posture and his reasons for how he defers to Jace, especially once Clary arrives.  Much of Alec's anger at Clary is because she is taking a position in Jace's life that he craves.  I also think Alec is afraid to push Jace on the issue of Clary (in season one) for fear of him choosing her over Alec, which is also why he tends to defer to Jace.  I don't see Jace as taking advantage of that.  Frankly, I think it goes over his head, but then again, I was happily surprised in one of the episodes when Jace DID know that Alec was gay and had feelings for him, and the two were fighting.  That was a scene where Jace was trying to get Alec to accept the truth about himself and Alec was fighting him.

Your mileage may vary and that's cool.  I'm just explaining why it appears that way to me vs the way it was portrayed in the books.  Jace was much more affectionate and respectful of Alec in the books in my opinion than he is in the show.  If I hadn't read the books, I would think the two didn't even really like each other. 

I understand.  Books are always better because they are able to flesh out the characters without the restraint of time and money, and we'll have to agree to disagree because I don't see Jace treating Alec the way you describe.  I see Jace more as a confident, older brother to Alec who may tease him or fight with him, but when push comes to shove, he'll die for him - and vice versa.  I would have to rewatch the first season again regarding what you pointed out, but the fact that I don't remember it tells me that I just didn't see it that way.  Regardless, I think we both agree that the final moments of last night's episode was well done, and we at least got to really see how much Jace loves his brother and will die to save him.  I know already that Alec will do the same considering what he has risked already.  Overall, I'm happy to see much more character-driven episodes, and since I find Clary the weakest link of the characters, I'm fine with her being more in the background.  I'm sorry, but everytime the action cut from either Jace, Alec, or Izzy and back to Clary and Simon looking for his mother, I felt the episode drag.  I'm hoping the writers know where their bread is buttered.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 3

I think episode 4 was the best one so far. It flowed a lot better, didn't have any cringeworthy lines that I can remember, the actors were on point, and stuff that matters actually happened! Maybe this means the new showrunners will indeed make a better show. This episode gave me hope.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, justcris said:

I think episode 4 was the best one so far. It flowed a lot better, didn't have any cringeworthy lines that I can remember, the actors were on point, and stuff that matters actually happened! Maybe this means the new showrunners will indeed make a better show. This episode gave me hope.

Clary's "it's inside of her" when she and Alec run into possessed!Izzy was kind of bad, but I agree it's definitely getting better.

Can't believe they killed Jocelyn though. When they said a Shadowhunter was going to die I was expecting it to be Lydia or the guy Magnus threw across the room last episode.

The Jace plot is still my favourite part and I liked the scenes in the prison. Can't believe they killed Hodge as well

Edited by Hybridcookie

Wow did they really kill off Jocelyn? I certainly did not expect that. The show has gone completely off canon now, not sure how I feel about that to be honest. Apparently, the showrunners had Cassandra Clare's blessing but this still feels weird.

Otherwise I agree, it was a gripping and well acted episode. I really enjoy the Jace storyline a lot as well, there is a gravitas there and Dom's acting has much improved compared to season 1. And of course I loved that Jace's first question to Clary in the City of Bones was about Alec's welfare. I also enjoyed the Simon, Raphael and Magnus dynamic.

A bit miffed that Malec still haven't had their first date yet. This better happen soon!

An interview with Cassandra Clare where she talks about adaptions of her work

https://tmisource.com/2017/01/24/cassandra-clare-talks-about-the-challenges-of-film-and-tv-adapatations/

At one point she says:

"People involved in the first season, who are now gone from the show (people know the showrunner left, but not that many of the writers, crew, and even execs also left—basically a whole team left) described a female character of mine to me as “just tits and ass” and told me no one wanted to see a gay character onscreen with a man so a woman would be introduced for him to spend most of his time with. She was described to me as his “soulmate.” "

I'm glad they got a lot of crew for Season 2

• Love 1