Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E25: A Make Kaua (Until We Die)

• Start Topic

Awesome, episode!  What more could you want?  We had Steve, Danny & Chin running all over the island, saving the world, and looking fine.  (They have my permission to go black tie anytime they like.)  Plus, we had Kono and Catherine running all over the island, saving the world, and arriving at the wedding without a hair out of place.  Finally, we had Adam giving up his wealth for the woman he loves.  

That was a fun episode!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 3

If they don't get a season 6, that was a piss ass series finale.  It wasn't much better season finale if they do get a season 6.  So Catherine's totally dying, right?  She was all teary when talking to Danny.  I know it's contrived and predictable, but see Danny:sick child:needs a close relative for transplant:paternity revelation story.

Ugh, I didn't think it was possible but the old age makeup on Mama Kono was even worse this week.  Even her dad looked bad.  The contestants on the barely qualified so we'll bring past winners edition of Face Off could have done better.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked it.  I don't think you can go wrong with guys in tuxedos acting all James Bond-like.  A couple of nitpicks:

I found it distracting when Kono gave the information about the trolley that was scheduled to take the pink line that would run right through the heart of downtown Waikiki.  Then, almost immediately, Chin says his piece about the trolley driver being found dead, but the trolley left on time.  It was taking the pink line that would run right through the heart of downtown Waikiki.  This was almost word for word what Kono had just said right in front of him.  Why did he repeat it like no one had ever heard that before?  I even reran the recording, thinking that I had taken my eyes off of the screen and they were actually in two separate places and were only connected by speaker phone.  Then, Chin maybe would not have known that Kono had just said what she said.  I don't know, I found it distracting.

The other thing was that if they had gone 50 miles offshore to dump the nuke, that had to be one heck of a ginormous water geyser for everyone back on the beach to see it so clearly.  It looked like it was only a few miles away.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

I wanted to see the wedding!

Liked all the James Bond running around in tuxes stuff. Loved Adam giving it all up for Kono, Chin being best man and I knew Gabriel would show up. Thought he'd die, glad he didn't. Even though he's bad I enjoy him.

Wouldn't that bomb cause Tsunami warnings? 

• Love 3

Lots of nuclear silliness in this episode. First and foremost a W-80 does not leak radiation all over the place! Second, they do not have giant red LED timers on the side. Third, two people could not lift one and carry it around like it was a bag of wet sand. They weigh 300lbs! Fourth, permissive action links cannot be removed. Doing so will destroy the weapon internally and not in a mushroom cloud fashion. And I am not a rocket scientist or even in the military. I just read Tom Clancy novels and look stuff up on Wikipedia!

A bit of exposition was shaved off for action's sake. So there's this hardware store manager who was rejected by the Marines back in the day. He happens to live near the place where man-portable nuclear bombs are driven around at night for amusement value. He gets two giant military trucks, rigs up a not particularly clever trap (I bet they've never thought of that one before!) and hustles the nukes to a private airfield so he can sell them to an Islamic terrorist in Hawaii. What? Let me say that again: WHAT?!?! No part of that plot works! The US military and intelligence apparatus can't find this most-wanted terrorist (on US soil no less) but Joe from Podunk Hardware not only tracks him down but offers to sell him a nuke? And the guy goes for it?

And the US military moves this hardware around in Chevy Suburbans? Not an MRAP or a tank or an APC. An off the lot SUV with a bush bumper on it for extra protection. And they drive them at insane enough speeds that if one of them gets in trouble, they all get it. The effect of the wire cutting into the vehicle was cool and all but I have to call bullshit on this one. There were what, six vehicles in that convoy?

The hijacked private jet deviates from the flight plan and heads for Hawaii instead, crossing every air defense zone in the US. But somehow the pilot never manages to switch his transponder to the hijacked setting (7500 if you're wondering). The pilot doesn't ditch in the Pacific. He just obediently waits to die and never tells anyone.

Last but not least, the US military has helicopters but apparently not fast ones so Kamekona's tour chopper is the best bet for getting a nuke off the island? And since 5-0 found the nuke they immediately have custody of it?

The team alluded to every intelligence organization being involved but we didn't see any of it. There weren't even NEST guys there. The spacesuit dudes that cleared the plane had Fire Department shirts on. No FBI, CIA, Homeland, military, et cetera. They all just stood back while 5-0 handled it. Maybe Dog the Bounty Hunter told them it was cool, 5-0's got this.

Not much to say for the rest of the episode. I am a little disappointed that the drama over Adam's possible ongoing gangster adventures turned out to be "it's complicated." The Yakuza obayun demanded a price and that price was all of Adam's worldly wealth! So what? Kono's place is cozy and she's got a bunch of kinky outfits. Adam will find some way of amusing himself.

And then there's Gabriel, who has the ninja-like talent of being able to show up anywhere there's hundreds of cops standing around but escaping unscathed every time. But it turns out he's just a perversion of a good guy. He feels for Chin and how he's always getting accused of corruption. He's willing to cut him in on it if Chin just leaves him alone. And I thought the show might actually have the guts to go for it but Chin tells Gabriel to pound sand, setting up the intricacies of season 6.

• Love 3

This show sure loves torture. It's certainly not just this show (a lot of shows love torture), but this show uses it a lot

My reaction was "Why, Commander McGarrett, how very Jack Bauer of you!"

It was ridic, yes, but Steve rising from the water  - shirtless - and then bouncing all over the island in black tie - tie undone and shirt unbuttoned, natch - was worth it to me!  :-)

• Love 2

They should really add 'please switch off your brain' to the opening credits. Once that was done it was pretty enjoyable although I hated Kono's wedding dress - she would have looked better in the tank-top she wore before. At least everybody was wearing shoes this time.

Also: somewhere on Hawaii a crazy hardware-guy-turned-evil-genius (because issues) is slowly bleeding out and in another godforsaken corner of the island Stan is probably drinking himself to death after hearing that his kid suffers from a potentially lethal disease but it's not his kid anyway and so he and his use-less bone marrow can just disappear because we're all busy with Danny's man pain.

Oh and: Hi Catherine - didn't really miss you but there you are giving us that cute moment when you and Kono were holding hands.

• Love 1

I am very embarrassed to say that I didn't realize this was on last night - I watched the first episode of 5-0 and then went to bed. 

• Love 1
(edited)

If this is the last one ever...I'm really disappointed.  I did like the Danny and Steve moments and there are parts I really enjoyed. 

Yes, I turned off my brain for the action stuff and just let them tell me the story knowing that in real life that was really stupid and could never happen.

But for a ending of a series, well it plain sucks.  I guess the problem is that they never figured out what caused fans to tune in the first place.

Although I enjoyed parts of it, I just don't find it satisfying and they know the ratings so they should have wrapped it up in a better way.  I did enjoy seeing Catherine back.

I'm frustrated because this season felt stronger on the whole but...that's the huge problem...how do you make it satisfying and keep it fresh.  I think they could have had the same impact without it being a nuke, and I doubt that the water really kept the explosion safe for that area...but I also loved the Danny and Steve on the chopper scene...so I guess this is just suspend disbelief moment.

ETA:  last sentence was a mess and I couldn't figure out what I meant to say.  lol.

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

My reaction was "Why, Commander McGarrett, how very Jack Bauer of you!"

It was ridic, yes, but Steve rising from the water  - shirtless - and then bouncing all over the island in black tie - tie undone and shirt unbuttoned, natch - was worth it to me!  :-)

Speaking of Jack Bauer, the wedding going on right after a nuke detonates off shore reminds me of Jack's father? playing golf in the aftermath of suburban LA getting nuked on 24

• Love 2

Speaking of Jack Bauer, the wedding going on right after a nuke detonates off shore reminds me of Jack's father? playing golf in the aftermath of suburban LA getting nuked on 24

And McGarrett was doing it to Jeffrey Nordling, who was in the seventh season of 24.

• Love 1

I just don't see them canceling the show. I see them possibly getting a reduced order for a final season, to give them a chance to wrap things up, but not a full cancellation.

By the way, I really enjoy how much Steve loves Catherine, I like that the show didn't just have him move on. That's realistic but you rarely get to see that on TV.

• Love 4
(edited)

Not that i want this to turn into 24, but if i were fanatically determined to set off a bomb and expecting to die, or possibly end up a serious radburn victim in a federal dungeon, i'd be carrying a dead person switch.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 2

Oh and: Hi Catherine - didn't really miss you but there you are giving us that cute moment when you and Kono were holding hands.

Would have been better if the show had had the guts to have two men holding hands.

• Love 2

I just don't see them canceling the show. I see them possibly getting a reduced order for a final season, to give them a chance to wrap things up, but not a full cancellation.

By the way, I really enjoy how much Steve loves Catherine, I like that the show didn't just have him move on. That's realistic but you rarely get to see that on TV.

I've always found it interesting that despite being the good-looking action man and star, McGarrett only ever been with one woman.

• Love 2

This show sure loves torture. It's certainly not just this show (a lot of shows love torture), but this show uses it a lot

Still waiting on the FBI to swoop in and round everybody from the Governor on down up? This shooting shocked me like Detective Williams murdering a drug lord in Colombia since they toned it down since the first season and Chicago PD has taken over the mantel TV cops violating the civil rights of people.

• Love 1
(edited)

Everything I love about H50, I got in these last two episodes.  

I love that all two hours gave me plenty of the McDanno relationship which has been sorely lacking throughout the season.  It's been spotty at best, but these last two episodes gave me both characters front and center and doing what they do best.  I don't care what anyone says, the chemistry between Alex and Scott can't be replaced (as much as I love all the other characters).  I also love that Danny forces Steve to confront his feelings about things.  I like that Danny was protective of Steve regarding Catherine because she did break his heart.  (Yeah, we know all the backstage stuff, but her character left in a way that was abrupt).  So I was happy to see Danny not being happy with the way she hurt Steve, and Steve tried to cover for her, but Danny wasn't having any of it.  I like that.  The banter was great between them as well.  THAT'S how I like my 5-0.  

I loved also that the entire team was scene throughout the episode as well and working together too.  I think that's what I have missed most this season.  I'm guessing everyone got time off this year, but they need to fix that next year.  I like my Five-O team together on the same case working it together.

This finale episode also gave us some great action.  Yeah, the whole nuclear bomb loose on the island (or in a city) has been done before, but I loved that the entire group was together to handle it.  Even Kono was late for her wedding saying that if her "guys" weren't there, then there was no wedding, and Adam (love him too) was patient and understanding.  I thought the final 15 minutes of Steve and Danny getting the bomb out over the ocean and dropping it was great, and the special effects were good.  A WALL of water is what SHOULD happen if you're blowing up a nuke.  I liked also that the explosion could be seen by all points on the island, and you saw tourists react and Adam and the wedding party.  I'm sure Adam was thinking "Okay, so THAT'S what the delay is all about."  

I'm not sure how I feel about the new big bad in Gabriel.  Maybe it's because it's with Chin in the mix, and although I love the character, I just don't know if him being at the center of a conflict all next season will command my attention the way Wo-Fat v. Steve did.  I mean that entire story arc for five years was well done, and I was spoiled.  We'll see.

Overall, loved the last two episodes, and I'm thrilled to know we got a season six to look forward to as well.  I MUST have my Steve v. Doris confrontation before the series closes out.  Peter Lenkov should be working on Christine Lahti right now about coming back at some point next year.  That's the final thread of any hanging storylines for me.

I've always found it interesting that despite being the good-looking action man and star, McGarrett only ever been with one woman.

I agree.  It's almost crazy that he's only ever been with Catherine after five years, and no drama between them in terms of cheating or anything like that.  They were a solid couple that had their ups and downs, but they never had the usual tv-created drama that the other shows tend to have, and just as they got to the "I love you's," she left.  I have no idea what the plans are with MB staying or going, but I've always liked that Steve McGarrett was a one-woman kind of guy.  He was never a player.  

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 2

And the US military moves this hardware around in Chevy Suburbans? Not an MRAP or a tank or an APC. An off the lot SUV with a bush bumper on it for extra protection. And they drive them at insane enough speeds that if one of them gets in trouble, they all get it. The effect of the wire cutting into the vehicle was cool and all but I have to call bullshit on this one. There were what, six vehicles in that convoy?

Last but not least, the US military has helicopters but apparently not fast ones so Kamekona's tour chopper is the best bet for getting a nuke off the island? And since 5-0 found the nuke they immediately have custody of it?

The team alluded to every intelligence organization being involved but we didn't see any of it. There weren't even NEST guys there. The spacesuit dudes that cleared the plane had Fire Department shirts on. No FBI, CIA, Homeland, military, et cetera. They all just stood back while 5-0 handled it. Maybe Dog the Bounty Hunter told them it was cool, 5-0's got this.

Yea it was totally an over the top ridiculous episode, but it was fun like an 80's action movie.The fact that they figured out that the Bomb was on the trolley but Steve and Danny managed to be the first ones there didn't make much sense either. How about get on the radio and say "all units go find the trolley". Then have the military team that can defuse the bomb come with you or meet you there.

The more that I think about it, the guys in the world of this show who work at the Honolulu FBI field office must have the easiest jobs in the world. I can totally picture them sitting on a beach drinking fruity drinks while Five-0 handles everything that would normally be in their jurisdiction.

Yea didn't really miss her either, although I totally forgot how attractive Michelle Borth is. Why is she not working on some other TV show?

• Love 1

Finally caught up on the DVR and watched this.  Amazing season finale.  So happy the show got renewed, it would have sucked to have ended it like that with Chin forever living under the cloud of Gabriel.

I thought it was great seeing Catherine but found it completely odd how awkward they were.  I didn't think they ever broke up.  She just said she had to stay in Afghanistan and they just did a "see ya".  While she's been gone he apparently hasn't seen anyone else at all, so wouldn't there have been more there when he saw her?  They acted like two exes who ran into each other in the produce section at the grocery store.

I really thought they brought Michelle Borth back so that Catherine would sacrifice herself, George Mason style.  I was completely shocked when Steve and Danny got into the helicopter, and kept expecting a cliffhanger.  Bomb goes off, we see the HUGE (and I mean WOW, that was amazing, even if it was some kind of special effecgts) explosion, we see the helicopter, obscured by the water.... end of episode.

• Love 1

The trouble with copying an episode of 24 is that we might remember how it went down there - they discussed "disposal at sea" v "disposal in the desert" (from LA) and rejected sea disposal because it would screw up the marine environment for years. Since Hawaii is far more dependent on the sea than LA, this would be catastrophic for the state (though obviously, better than getting vaporised!). I realise I'm not meant to think about that, but couldn't you "take a third option" and drop it down a volcano? Hawaii has plenty of them and while I'm neither a volcanologist nor a nuclear scientist, even if it didn't destroy the nuke it would at least contain the explosion. And for once, Steve going all Jack Bauer on a suspect was actually reasonable - they really were in the "Ticking timebomb" scenario (well, minus the ticking).

As for the wedding, if it was me attending a friend and colleague's wedding, wouldn't you want to shave first? Both Steve and Danny were sporting "Manly stubble". Now granted, Kono would understand, but they had time to change so you'd think the men would have time for a quick shave.

benteen McGarrett has only ever been with one woman.

Well, he doesn't want to cheat on Danny!

• Love 1
(edited)
Yea didn't really miss her either, although I totally forgot how attractive Michelle Borth is. Why is she not working on some other TV show?

I really liked her short lived M*A*S*H-meets-China Beach-meets-Desert Storm TV show.  After looking it up on IMdB, I see it was Combat Hospital.  I kind of always figured Catherine would have figured more in H50 in the early seasons, except that Michelle Borth had the opportunity to be the lead in this other series, so she jumped to her own show--which didn't last long.  Trying to shoe-horn Catherine back into our show after that never seemed to go smoothly.  I think if that hadn't happened, and the Catherine character had stayed seamlessly as part and parcel of the continuing story arcs in the first several seasons, then she would have been more popular.  It seems the writers just didn't know what to do with her, and the answer definitely wasn't "get Catherine to be a bigger part of the team and interfere with the Steve/Danny bromance."

Edited by HurricaneVal
  • Love 1
(edited)

I liked the episode well enough - though clearly there were a lot of missteps in logic and technical issues. Sure, the cable sliced through the first car - and maybe it would get the second one too- but the others would surely have stopped and fought.

I enjoyed the Magnum PI shout-out. If you missed it, the speech the guy gave, daring Steve to kill him, was similar to one in a 1987 episode of Magnum PI where his cop friend had been murdered. When the bad buy, Ivan, encountered Magnum, he gave a similar speech, taunting Magnum, believing Magnum was too honorable to shoot in cold blood. Magnum killed him - and it was shocking.  I half expected Steve to kill the guy because of the reference.

I don't understand why the wardrobe/makeup team couldn't have found grey wigs for Kono's parents. That kind of crappy job just doesn't work in HDTV.  Nevertheless, everyone else was lovely.

I've liked Catherine from the start, and hope she stays on. She's beautiful, tough, and I think she and Steve have good chemistry.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1
I don't understand why the wardrobe/makeup team couldn't have found grey wigs for Kono's parents. That kind of crappy job just doesn't work in HDTV.

I don't understand why they have to be that gray in the first place.  They're not that old.  My dark-haired (Caucasian) mom still has some dark hair in the back at age 86.  

How did Kamekona get back to the wedding so quickly that he could be seated among the guests, mock-disapproving of the team's late arrival?  Did he leave right after they took off in his helicopter?  I thought I saw him there when they returned but maybe not.

dwmarch, your post is the funniest thing I've read in days!

• Love 1

So Adam and Kono will be poor. That was the only way for Adam to get away from the Yakuza.
Nice though that he got it cleared up with Chin.

Nice to see Steve coming out of the ocean in "Magnum" style. Nice to see Catherine back.You can see all missed her and she missed them. It was cool her Vette chasing Danny's Camaro. But did she pay somewhere to keep it driver ready? She has been gone several months. Liked Kono and Catherine holding hands waiting and hoping for Steve and Danny to be ok. Was nice for Cath. to contact her old co-workers to get info. for Steve.

Nice for Steve to lock the suspect in the container to get answers on the nuke. Then Steve also shooting Josh Bennett to the knee to get an answer. Dano didn't even argue back about it. The shopping trolly with the boxed nuke on it was interesting. Between that and the teen blowing himself up on the bus on NCIS will make some think twice about taking mass transit.

The wedding , what we saw was nice. Chin and Gabriel Waincroft will continue to have problems. Even though I thought that Steve or someone would walk up behind him in the parking lot. Yes he did kind of keep looking around. To bad we didn't get to see the nuptials. At-least a shortened version. Thought maybe Joe White would be there?

In the cargument Danny calling Steve Dr. Strange love was funny. Danny also questioned Cath. being back. But Steve had good advice about Charlie, Rachel, Grace and Melissa.

It was good that Steve has not had a gf while Catherine was over seas. It came close early on with Lori, then again people worried about Elli. But it was nice that Steve told Danny he didn't want to make it to close with Elli and make it awkward. She's a pal. The Catherine story line has been odd. If she had remained in the Navy, or then had the Private Security business that she started with Billy, continue it would have been better. Sure some would hate the "did they or didn't they' story line but it could be solved by Steve and Cath. actually dating more. They didn't have to kill off Billy because the actor had another gig lined up. Just send him off on a mission or to their LA office. Then when he could make an appearance or 2 he was all set. I hope she stays on the island, but isn't brought back into 5-0. With Grover a team member and Jerry helping once in awhile she don't need to be a team member. Maybe her and Jerry could work together? He had his book store investigation story.