Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Robinson Crusoe's Guide To Island Survival Not Included

Many years ago there was a man who championed foraging for food in the wilderness - Euell Gibbons. In one of his books he claimed a Pacific island was a terrible place to get shipwrecked and to try and survive on because of the paucity of edible vegetation. I kept thinking of him while watching this.

• Love 3

Hated seeing Jim the Fireman Hero after learning here what he's really like. Big ICK to him. He has a ways to go before HIS shorts fall off from losing weight. He could stand a good month w/o eating.

The guy that fell on the rocks ... he said something in his back popped so more damage was done that just him falling and going "Ouchie." It would be nice to know what injuries he does have though.

Jim is the retired Police Chief or Sheriff or something like that.  Davion was the firefighter.  I only want to make that distinction because my husband IS the Fireman Hero and I don't want Jim tainting the profession!

• Love 2

Davion said that he heard his "sit bone" pop. I know I am misspelling that but he was not able to move without a ton of pain and new he was in a bad place. I trust that he knew how bad he was to allow himself to be evacuated.

Hopefully at the end of the season we will get an update on how everyone is doing. I suspect that Taylor and Mike were quick recoveries but that Davion was in a bad place for a while.

Yeah, lots of stuff washes up on beaches, but that fishing net was a little TOO convenient.

I also have to wonder where exactly this island is. They didn't just throw darts at a map, it's part of some country or belongs to someone. It may be some kind of military training base for all we know, so some of the garbage and bottles and stuff may have been left behind by whoever uses this island.

(edited)

Sea turtles are, I believe, mammels. They have to breathe air.

Turtles are reptiles. They lay eggs. They do have to breathe oxygen but can hold their breath for four to seven hours while swimming underwater. He was caught in that net for so long, he nearly drowned. Those boys need to check that net more often.

I would have been frustrated if I had found that turtle since I would have wanted to do chest compressions to get it breathing ... impossible with that shell. So Benji was indeed a savior. I wonder if he got off-camera advise to do that so as to save an endangered reptile.

Davion said that he heard his "sit bone" pop.

He said he fell on his coccyx, then felt something pop in his back. 

Euell Gibbons! Grape Nuts!

Yes! Love them both. (Past tense for Mr. Gibbons.)

Jim is the retired Police Chief or Sheriff or something like that.  Davion was the firefighter.

Thank you for clarifying. That was my mistake. Jim is still skanky though.

That boa had to be eating something too. There's got to be something on the island they could be eating even if they can't catch a fish.

That boa had to be a plant. How else could a snake that large get to that island? Yeah, they swim, but come on ...

Does anyone know WHERE that island is located? Like to what country does it belong?

And WHY don't they move camp closer to a water source? Two hours hiking is a long time.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

The British episodes were filmed in a couple of different islands in an archipelago (Pearl Islands) off of Panama.  Wouldn't be surprised if they used the same location for this American version . . .

• Love 2

The island looks kind of the same in the US and UK versions. Even the water hole looked identical.

The UK men seemed much more competent and cooperative than the US men. The UK group even had a 60 and 70 year old with them. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Turtles are reptiles. They lay eggs. They do have to breathe oxygen but can hold their breath for four to seven hours while swimming underwater. He was caught in that net for so long, he nearly drowned.

All the time when they were fishing him out of the net, I kept saying, "Get the turtle above the water, above the water".  It seemed like an hour before they got him on shore.

Edited by nottopbravo
  • Love 4

To go a little OT, the difference is mammals are warm-blooded and birth live. Reptiles are cold-blooded and lay eggs to produce their kids. 

The island always looks different to me when the aerial shot is shown. And now there are TWO fresh water sources? I guess I missed them finding the second one.

Benji's blue eyes ... oh my. They are lucky those camera guys are there, they really have their heads on right.

• Love 3

Yeah, the camera guys seem like they're the only ones who know what they're doing, and that's just because they're used to filming in exotic locales and out in the wild. Unfortunately, the rest of these participants were chosen using the usual reality show criteria of people who thought it'd be fun to go on some kind of adventure and/or were looking to prove something to themselves and/or their families. Most of them have no business being there.

• Love 4
(edited)

About sea turtles:

2. How long can a sea turtle hold its breath? And why do they drown?
As sea turtles are air breathing reptiles, they need to surface to breathe. Sea turtles can hold their breath for several hours, depending upon the level of activity. A resting or sleeping turtle can remain underwater for 4-7 hours. Recent research has shown that some turtles can even hibernate in the sea for several months! However, a stressed turtle, entangled in fishing gear for instance, quickly uses up oxygen stored within its body and may drown within minutes.

http://www.conserveturtles.org/seaturtleinformation.php?page=seaturtle-faq#14

Sounds like they rescued the turtle just in time! The turtle was definitely the highlight of the episode for me. I want to see the guys interact with the island more, not watch them sitting on their butts talking to each other. That's what Survivor is for. Hopefully they'll find some food soon so they're not so lethargic and have the energy to explore the island.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 2
Does anyone know WHERE that island is located? Like to what country does it belong?

Maybe it's all the commercials I've been seeing lately, but when they show the overhead view, I think "Jurassic Park!"  maybe THAT'S what the show needs - dinosaurs!

I also had the crazy thought that they should combine the Island with "Biggest Loser"  - a contest to see who survives, AND who loses the most weight.   Really, some of these guys started out thin, and are now SKINNY.   What a concept for a weight-loss show - forget personal trainers and dietitians, just put them on an island with no food. 

• Love 7

I was thinking the island was near Australia, only because one of the medivac rescuers called someone "Mate", which to me is strictly Australian. 

LOL, this would be an awesome theme for a weight loss show!  Have the contestants find their own natural food.  Note to future participants - wear pants with a drawstring waist!

Does anyone know if Graham has done any more recaps since the first episode?  I was hoping he would continue.  I really like the behind-the-scenes individual perspective.

• Love 2

I was thinking the island was near Australia, only because one of the medivac rescuers called someone "Mate", which to me is strictly Australian. 

Maybe only Australian doctor's are allowed on reality island-type shows.  Survivor's main doctor is also Australian (or maybe it's the same doctor...).  ;)

• Love 1

Maybe it's all the commercials I've been seeing lately, but when they show the overhead view, I think "Jurassic Park!"  maybe THAT'S what the show needs - dinosaurs!

A roasted T-Rex would feed these guys for a while. Plus the capture would make exciting footage! (Depending on who/what was doing the capturing.)

• Love 1

Endemol Shine North America and  Bear Grylls Ventures are the companies involved. No idea if Burnett is associated with Endemol

Shine is related to Biggest Loser via Reveille, so I can see a survival weight loss competition in the future!!!  lol Jillian would be screaming, "Give that Turtle oxygen or I'll rip your arm off and beat you with it!" 

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe Americans are smarter than the Brits since that's how they started a fire right away after landing on the island, with the guy's glasses.

Regarding the American show:

If I remember right, only "glass" glasses will start fire in the right sunlight. Most glasses (at least inexpensive ones) use a safety glass which is more like plastic and doesn't start fire easily.

They may also have an "anti glare" treatment that makes fire starting difficult.

Reading glasses can be thicker than bifocal or distance glasses.

I think the doctor is the busiest one out there. Three medevaced with serious problems...

IIRC, one of the cameramen mentioned filming Deadliest Catch in the past. He may be more experienced on tough situations.

I felt the trash on the beach was "supplemented" by the producers, lol.

Edited by Thumper82003
  • Love 1

I felt the trash on the beach was "supplemented" by the producers, lol.

It definitely is. The island is seeded with the sort of things they might conceivably find to make survival possible.

I hope that's true, otherwise there is no spot of paradise left on earth that isn't littered with plastic.

I amsure it is seeded and I amsure that there is no place on Earth untouched by pollution.

• Love 2

That pig was a little too calm, just lying there in the middle of nowhere on a beach where no pigs had been seen before. They run in packs. Where is the rest of his family? A solo pig isn't going to be sunning itself on a small island where no animals have been seen thus far. Terrible shades of Survivor: Australian Outback when a "wild" pig suddenly showed up at camp.

I've lost all respect for this show. Screw you, farm to table guy. You have no idea. And Bear Grylls can take several seats for doing this.

BTW, I am a carnivore who grew up watching pigs and chickens being killed for our meals. I have no problem with an animal being raised for food. But this was a very bad producer-driven slaughter.

• Love 7

Yeah, I couldn't watch it, but I always look away, even if they are gutting a fish, that is why I could never do a show like this. I liked Earnest, sorry to see him go. It makes it so much easier because they know that they can leave when it gets too rough. This would be totally different if they were stranded on an island and could not leave unless rescued or manage to escape (sort of like Castaway).  

• Love 1

I wondered what would possess a grown man to go into such detail about his BMs and anal fissure knowing full well that he was being filmed and this all would end up on TV.  I know it's reality TV but that was way more than I wanted to know.

I felt sorry for Ernest when he talked about the funeral but I also wanted someone to shake him and point out that staying a few more days wasn't going to make any long term difference with his kids or the family's future.  He was homesick and wanted to leave and he went overboard making himself seem noble or something for quitting.

The sudden appearance of a pig certainly did seem contrived.

• Love 8

I left the room when they were discussing their strategy to kill the lone wild piglet.   Please tell me it got away.

Then if that wasn't bad enough, I come back to watch and am treated to the anal fissure analysis.   

• Love 1

Well the planted net was one thing but the perfect sized, partially drugged and in close proximity pig was too much to believe. That being said while I loathe watching the killing of these pigs and chickens (on survivor) it does call attention to the obvious....Bear is right...we are too desensitized to our food source when neatly packaged at the grocery store. And if nothing else it should remind people to respect their food and not waste it. If those guys come back with a greater perspective on that and spread the philosophy of it then it's fine it's on TV.

The anal fissure thing was gross, bizarre and fascinating. Finally something not discussed on other survivor reality shows! It was horrible as described!!!! I'm sure that surgeon was like....can we call in the internist?! Proctologist? Urologist? Somebody else???

• Love 1

Yeah real wild pigs are just not going to be all docile. He never would have caught it and momma (it didn't look full-grown to me) would have defended him.

Who the hell doesn't show up for a funeral? No one did? Earnest you and your wife need better friends and relatives. That said, the son is 3. He can take your being gone and probably won't even remember.

So...Jim's just gonna hang out by himself?

• Love 4

I was cringing and hiding my eyes during the pig slaughter.  It was so small!!  I know for a fact that I'm desensitized as to where my food comes from.  I know it's bad, but I refuse to think about it.  When I do I get very sad.  I lived on a farm for a few years and my parents killed some of my "friends" for dinner (goats and chickens) so I just get sad thinking about it again.  I was like 9 or 10, so...  Anyway, I also fully suspect the pig was planted. 

I am compelled to watch this show, but sometimes I get mad.  I got mad at Earnest when he was talking about being away from his family, etc.  Like this short adventure is going to negatively impact his three year old.  I get it- you were raised without a father but this is so not the same situation!  I agree with the above poster that he just wanted to leave, knew he could (unlike when he was in Iraq) and just worked himself up to make it noble to leave.  I also just get generally mad at these unprepared people being put on an island with no idea how to take care of themselves.  I just can't help but think about possible long-term complications and wonder if it's worth it.  There's no prize money that might help these guys' families or their own lives.  Not that money is everything.  I just don't really understand the point of doing this to yourself.

When Bear said that the shells of the crabs could cause digestive trouble and then all of the guys started munching away on the crabs- shells and all- I knew there would be trouble.  Dude- that's way too much roughage!!  I feel badly for him, even though it's gross.  Hopefully he's passed it all and will start eating more smartly now.  It was funny when all of the guys were sitting around the fire and no one would look at each other.  Guys are so funny.  I mean, us women talk- in detail- about our pregnancies and childbirth.  Even though it was gross it was bound to happen to one of them and it's a normal thing to happen given what they've been eating.  It's good to talk about it so they know what NOT to do!!

• Love 7

I feel really bad for Tre.  The discomfort, pain and embarrassment are enough for a lifetime.  But I'm curious about a couple of things...why didn't someone (Doc?) warn the group about ingesting too much extreme roughage?  Coconut husks and crab shells will need to exit the body eventually.  As crunchy and sharp as they are going down, did it not occur to anyone that they would suffer some consequences on the other end?  And was Tre the only one eating that stuff?  Or are we in for a pandemic of anal fissures in upcoming episodes?  I hope there are lots of surgical gloves in the medical kit.

I really like Earnest and I'm sad to see him go.  His story was heartbreaking.  I am assuming he and his wife were very young when their daughter was born and maybe the parents disapproved of their relationship.  That's no reason to skip an infant's funeral!  I just hope Earnest & Mrs. Earnest are in a good place now with supportive friends.

I didn't watch the UK edition but does anyone know if there is a follow up on the group?  I'd love to see a quick interview on how the injured/medivac'd guys are doing and what all of them took away from the experience.

• Love 3

These guys are so lucky that they actually have a real MD on the Island. Otherwise, they would all be dead by now. Save for Jim. He would be eating the dead bodies behind his screen of deception. I said it before and I will say it again, the camera guys are the nicest and best prepared (the doc included) for this type of thing. Benji - Savior of Turtles, is very cute. Is he married? If not, I cannot believe it, he is a gem. Some girl should be grabbing him up quick! I like Trey and I was worried that they would lose another person in the same day. An anal fissure is another name for a tear in the rectum or anus. Sometimes these can be really bad or not so bad, it depends on how big, deep, etc... He needs more fiber and water. I am surprised that the coconuts are not a laxative for him, but maybe for some people they are not if they just aren't eating enough at all.  There is a story about constipation and Whitney Houston and Bobbi Brown that is a similarly gross. I am sure you can Google it if you want to know their story of Whitney's impacted poop. 

• Love 1

Yeah real wild pigs are just not going to be all docile. He never would have caught it and momma (it didn't look full-grown to me) would have defended him.

Yeah, I laughed when the bird farmer guy jumped (badly) over the rock and missed the pig and I thought good, piggy got away. But then back from the commercial break, they got him. I didn't like it. I think you all are right that it was planted and drugged. THAT pisses me off. I remember on Survivor, one guy made a net (like a scoop) and would stand in the ocean and "scoop" fish into the net. Why can't they do that?

Because they're idiots?

Yeah, I forgot about that!  If they could catch a couple of fish per person a day, that would help. I don't know anything about vegetation on tropical islands, but there has to be some type of plants (greens) that are edible right? Not every plant has to be fruit bearing. I know that dandelions can be eaten, and fiddle heads, certain types of ferns. I am just curious if anyone there has any knowledge of the plants that can be eaten? Or is it different on tropical islands?

(edited)

I wouldn't randomly try vegetation in the tropics but I bet they have a little booklet.

ETA: It completely depends on the island. Some are very diverse others are not especially if they have been over-used and pigs and goats have gotten to them. This one looks somewhat diverse but lite of tropical plants are toxic.

Edited by mertensia

I really like Earnest and I'm sad to see him go.  His story was heartbreaking.  I am assuming he and his wife were very young when their daughter was born and maybe the parents disapproved of their relationship.  That's no reason to skip an infant's funeral!  I just hope Earnest & Mrs. Earnest are in a good place now with supportive friends.

Painful story.  Back when my hands still worked, my girlfriend got me into crocheting baby blankets for the funerals of abandoned infants & children.  If you can bear the sorrow, there's an organization that tries to ensure no child is buried without a decent funeral : http://www.gardenofinnocence.org/

• Love 3

I am ever so glad you took the time to check it out, AZChristian.  It is a local venture that should be everywhere, and the angels who attend these sad funerals are some of my personal "heroes".  Since menopause hit me hard, I'm much too emotional to do that, but there are other ways of helping; baby blankets just happened to be part of our local effort.

On topic - these guys would be toast without the Doc.  The only truly competent people seem to be the camera guys.  I want to see a show about them!

• Love 2

He was homesick and wanted to leave and he went overboard making himself seem noble or something for quitting.

Not only that, but everyone, including Bear Grylls, bent over backwards to pat him on the back and congratulate his priorities and wise decision. What utter bullshit. They've already been there 10 days, what difference is another two weeks going to make?

To make matters worse he had to pull out that funeral story, which was certainly tragic and sad but it made it impossible for anyone to criticize him, so instead everyone went along with the narrative that he had "learned some kind of valuable lesson" about the importance of spending time with your family. Family family family. Everyone out there has a family of some kind, not just Earnest. 

This guy just didn't want to do this anymore and frankly I don't know what he thought he was getting himself into but he never struck me as being very bright. I'm sure he missed his wife and kid but he just sort of talked himself into believing that was the reason he had to leave right then and everyone went along with it. I wanted at least one person to have the guts and call him out on being a total quitter. I'm glad he's gone and I don't have to hear him drone on about being a father anymore.

Quitters shouldn't be congratulated and patted on the back. He knew he had a kid when he signed up for this show. How convenient he had this sudden epiphany about the importance of fatherhood after 10 days of discomfort and starvation.

• Love 9