Type keyword(s) to search

The Men's Island: Winners Never Quit, Quitters Never Win

I think I liked it! I'll definitely give it one or two more episodes, at least. Especially now that Taylor is gone, because that guy was getting on my nerves, even if he was right about the beach. Super annoying.

I like the actual survival aspect of the show, but I guess it's good that they have medical personnel nearby. Day two, and people are already falling apart, with previews looking like more of them will.

• Love 4

So what happened to Taylor? I flipped channels during commercials and he was already gone when I tuned back. I was expecting them to stretch it out longer like all shows do. Go figure!

He was an idiot and gave himself heat stroke. He decided to try to prove what a man he was and that he could go out in 110 degree heat with no water and kept pushing himself. You know, because he was able to come back from a head injury in the past. He was ready to snap and kill a member of the group anyway, I doubt he will be missed. 

• Love 3

I liked it. I have to wonder if Taylor was always this erratic before the TBI? If not, then the head trauma could be the cause of the erratic behavior. I am surprised that he got vetted through to the show. It seems like he could be a danger to himself and others. I thought the Military guy (cannot remember names yet) that made fire with the glasses made it seem SOOOO easy compared to all the effort we see with all the other ways. I am surprised more of these guys weren't sick from dehydration. I think that this will be an interesting watch, I do not like seeing animals killed, but I am not against meat eating, I just have to look away during those scenes. I don't think that I would make it on the Island!

• Love 5

Coconuts also have vitamins and electrolytes and calories and whatnot; I'm not sure why they're not finding as many as they can and just drinking and eating them all. Gotta be better for them than boa, right?  

All those coconuts have milk/water inside. So what's the big panic about no water?

If you aren't used to a lot of coconut they can be a laxative to an extreme, so can cause further dehydration (by the other end). However, coconut oil is so popular now a person could possibly acclimate to it before going on the island. I have because I use a lot of coconut oil now, but in the beginning, look out! 

• Love 1

Interesting, rivernightsnancy- I didn't know that about coconuts. I wonder if they introduced them slowly, while they still had other water and food, they could a climate quickly and use the as a major food and water source.

I really like that the cameramen are part of the group rather than hidden off to the side. It gives this show a very different feel than most others, and means no one out there is returning to camp to eat and sleep.

• Love 2

It looks like I'll keep watching.  I really loved that guy who made fire with his reading glasses (nothing to read there, anyway).  I regularly watch Naked & Afraid which casts more experienced survivalists and I don't recall seeing that drill method work for fire - ever.  The same guy was also great about reading Taylor's energy, talking him down and keeping the others from escalating the situation.  I felt bad for the stay at home dad who seemed to be getting insect bites more than the rest.  That has got to be miserable.

I found it guiltily entertaining to watch them all start out so happy, optimistic and "kumbaya", only to dissolve into hysteric desperation within 48 hrs.  I hope they make it 30 days and that this experiment doesn't fizzle like Utopia did. 

• Love 2

It looks like I'll keep watching.  I really loved that guy who made fire with his reading glasses (nothing to read there, anyway).  I regularly watch Naked & Afraid which casts more experienced survivalists and I don't recall seeing that drill method work for fire - ever.  The same guy was also great about reading Taylor's energy, talking him down and keeping the others from escalating the situation.  I felt bad for the stay at home dad who seemed to be getting insect bites more than the rest.  That has got to be miserable.

I found it guiltily entertaining to watch them all start out so happy, optimistic and "kumbaya", only to dissolve into hysteric desperation within 48 hrs.  I hope they make it 30 days and that this experiment doesn't fizzle like Utopia did. 

Wow, I watched Utopia too and I actually thought about how certain aspects of both shows were similar. Although, Utopia was sooo bad, they really picked people who really weren't there for the right reasons. Luckily there will be no underfeeding cows on this show! (if you watched the live feeds, there was a lot of awful things going on). 

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, Taylor was a pain in the butt ! At 25, he knew everything. Guess that didn't work out too well for him.

I am also wondering why they didn't use the coconuts. Didn't we also see  fruit in the trees?

I actually know one of the contestents mom and family...so this is fun to watch.

Edited by MsJamieDornan

These guys are dropping like flies. I really wanted that big guy to stay. He seemed pretty interesting.

I love that it's cast like a little town...a doctor, a firefighter, a police officer....LOL. And since right now the doc is getting a lot of airtime, it feels a little like Lost. But no chicks. And no Sawyer.

Thank goodness that kit has an epi pen...hello!!??? I think they should have given out some go pros unless they wanted the buddy system. Don't know why a camera guy has to be sacrificed to follow a nut job if he's running off a cliff.

I had no idea coconuts were a diuretic.

That water looked epic disgusting. Just...nooooooo!

• Love 1

I just watched this online after hearing through the grapevine that a local guy is on the show. Jim Murray, the retired police officer (shown in a photograph with the Murphy Police Department cars on either side of him). He's not on the staff of our local police . Probably because he moved here after what he did in Georgia:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/sex-chats-cost-peachtree-city-police-chief-his-job/nFBfY/

Local Facebook and Twitter people are outraged that he is making it sound like he was a police officer in Murphy. He was NOT. I am really surprised they allowed him to pose with local police cars, giving that impression.

• Love 1

I love that it's cast like a little town...a doctor, a firefighter, a police officer....LOL. And since right now the doc is getting a lot of airtime, it feels a little like Lost. But no chicks. And no Sawyer.

Thank goodness that kit has an epi pen...hello!!??? I think they should have given out some go pros unless they wanted the buddy system. Don't know why a camera guy has to be sacrificed to follow a nut job if he's running off a cliff.

I had no idea coconuts were a diuretic.

That water looked epic disgusting. Just...nooooooo!

No Sawyer, bwah!  I loved him on Lost.  Coconuts are a LAXATIVE! Good for hydration, as long as you can retain everything (wink). I think it is the coconut oil that is the ultimate issue. I use coconut oil in my coffee, so lalala, I know of what I speak! (clears throat). Coconut water is super popular right now and I eat a lot of coconut oil for other health reasons. I bought the water once (organic with nothing added-figured I would like it). And seriously, for me, it was like an cloudy, slightly salty, thin and runny mucus. I could not drink it. I almost barfed. I shared it with a friend and she couldn't drink it either. Lots of people like it and I just could not get that out of my head. I suppose, that if I was super dehydrated though, I would drink it easily. 

I just watched this online after hearing through the grapevine that a local guy is on the show. Jim Murray, the retired police officer (shown in a photograph with the Murphy Police Department cars on either side of him). He's not on the staff of our local police . Probably because he moved here after what he did in Georgia:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/sex-chats-cost-peachtree-city-police-chief-his-job/nFBfY/

Local Facebook and Twitter people are outraged that he is making it sound like he was a police officer in Murphy. He was NOT. I am really surprised they allowed him to pose with local police cars, giving that impression.

What the hell! Do they think that this wouldn't get out or do they not vet the contestants? And I was actually liking this guy after last night. After the Duggar mess, I just cannot even have any leeway on any of this shit.  

From CooksDelight's link:

"After eighteen years, Chief Murray has expressed a desire to move on to the next chapter of his life, and we respect those wishes," said Peachtree City Mayor Harold Logsdon when the move was announced.

I guess being on a reality show was his "next chapter." To quote RiverHeights: "What the hell."

• Love 1

As a Survivor fan here, could you imagine Jim on the island for a few days? Get crazy Phillip or Coach on there and Jim would be telling others what to do behind his bamboo curtain, and he would be getting voted off real quick. He would suck at challenges too, no doubt about that. 

• Love 2

Remember a week or two ago when Jim was crowing about how they tried to interrogate him, but didn't have his skills? In hindsight, it's almost like he thought this island would be like Survivor with its cliques and strategies. Instead most of these guys figured out that real survival is a team effort, and the more you work together, trust each other, and work to an individual's strengths, the better life will be.

• Love 2
(edited)

Isn't Jim WAY way way too old to be on Survivor? I mean, the guy's 64, one foot in the grave. He's not capable of doing Survivor challenges. He's even said so, he can't hunt, fish, walk, build ... nothing but eat food others fix.

I wonder if Jim's "redemption arc" on this show has something to do with his trying to get on other reality shows. I'm hoping to never see him again.

Now Benji and Matt, I'm all about them being on every reality show everywhere, anytime.

Edited by saber5055

Isn't Jim WAY way way too old to be on Survivor? I mean, the guy's 64, one foot in the grave. He's not capable of doing Survivor challenges.

64 isn't exactly one foot in the grave LOL.  Anyhow, the very first Survivor had a guy named Rudy who was great.  He was an ex Navy SEAL.  Finished 3rd.  He was 72 at the time.

• Love 1