Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: Is The Better Part Over

Juliette is back in the news – and back to feeling like her old self -- following her rooftop performance high above Highway 65, but while she enjoys the attention, her team has growing concerns that she may be suffering from postpartum depression. Meanwhile, Will is surprised with an unexpected visit from his father, and learns his private life is about to become public when a tabloid obtains photos of Will and Kevin together. With Deacon’s cancer diagnosis no longer a secret, he and Rayna grapple with the future and the real possibility that their time together will be cut short.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coTwpXigrjE

After watching the promo, I'm now hoping (fingers crossed!) that the breakdown is precipitated by Rayna telling Deacon she went to Beverly. No more lying, Rayna! Isn't this your life lesson yet?!

Also, boy...Juliette has some serious PPD crazy eyes!

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Team JB?? She's being awful to Rayna! Juliette knows Deacon is dying. I'm guessing the heartlessness is supposed to be another symptom of postpartum depression, but Juliette is just coming off as cruel and reverting to her self-absorbed ways. Oy.

• Love 9
(edited)

For some reason I'm totally sympathetic to Juliette on this one! She really is getting no support from her label and she hasnt in forever. Rayna's the one who called this meeting it seems right? Its not like Juliette just showed up to yell at her. She's just trying to re-launch her career and defend her decisions, which are kind of working...

IDK....I love rayna too obviously, but come on, she needs to deal with her label. 

Edited by hqtextbook
  • Love 7
(edited)

She does, or step away from it for a bit. And if Juliette were a random diva, it wouldn't be so bad. But at this point, she and Rayna are friends, and Rayna stood by her when no one else would. Juliette is probably the only one in that room who knows what's going on with Rayna, yet she's being completely self-absorbed. #1) I find it hard to believe. But #2) It's mean. I'm on board with Juliette and her renegade rooftop concerts for sure, but in my opinion, if my friend is sitting in front of me looking like a zombie and I know her guy is dying, it doesn't really matter if I'm right. If I'm yelling at her, I'm the asshole.

I hope this is also when Bucky figures out what's going on and that he doesn't bail on her. Rayna looks like she can barely breathe there.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 16

I hope this is also when Bucky figures out what's going on and that he doesn't bail on her. Rayna looks like she can barely breathe there.

I really hope that Rayna's able to let Bucky in on the secret this week. Not fair to him to have to carry Hwy 65 without her and still not know what's going on. 

I too think Juliette's the bad guy in this situation, not only does she know what's going on with Deacon, she also knows that her label is getting hit with all kinds of fines and legal issues because of the concerts. While they seem to be working and I think they're a great idea, maybe getting some help from legal ahead of time would be smart.

• Love 2

I predict that the tabloid issue gets resolved quickly (they can always just say they were working on the album) but that Will gets pressured to break it off with Kevin or else it will just happen again. Will caves, but Kevin beats him to it because he doesn't want to be the guy Will gives up his career for.

• Love 1

I understand Juliette wanting to relaunch her career.

However, their brief, awkward fling aside, Deacon was a good friend and supporter to Juliette, when, other than her employees, no one else was. She was so upset when she found out about his Cancer.

Juliette and Rayna have become friends. Rayna has been there for her, a number of times. Juliette treating her so coldly, when she knows what's going on in her life, is just cold and self centered.

I can see the Juliette that we first met in Season 1 acting like that, but, PPD, or not, it's hard to imagine the character that we know now acting like this.

• Love 6

I predict that the tabloid issue gets resolved quickly (they can always just say they were working on the album) but that Will gets pressured to break it off with Kevin or else it will just happen again. Will caves, but Kevin beats him to it because he doesn't want to be the guy Will gives up his career for.

OMG, yes. Me, too. I wish wasn't so predictable but this is where it leads to. Will and Kevin can't be happy for too long and it already breaks my heart. I was holding a grudge against this show's for the treatment of the Brent-storyline for the longest time until Kevin came along. And now it looks like Will will be taking a few steps back right into the closet again. I'm pretty sure he'll choose his dad and career over Kevin. For now.

• Love 1

We have... but what really gets me also is that it's always been Deacon who's the more vulnerable one, or the one more likely to have a breakdown of some sort, whether sad, angry, scared. Rayna being the one in this place and Deacon being the one to stroke her hair and kiss her cheek and comfort her is something we haven't had at all before, and AGH do I love it. I'm really impressed with the sensitive way they're handling this storyline, it feels very realistic - they're all taking it in turns to let out and deal with their grief in different ways and to support each other and quite literally hold each other up in each of those moments. I don't think Deacon had quite realised the degree to which Rayna's absolute terror has been gradually getting more acute until this scene, and it clearly terrifies him to see her that way - she's always very strong, but I think he perhaps has overestimated how strong she would be in this particular situation. It's also the first time he's heard her admit that she's scared he may die - I don't think the realisation was actually quite real to him until he heard Rayna say it, that she is having to look his death in the face as a real possibility. 

Putting Rayna and Deacon together at this point in time is the best thing this show has ever done - it's deepening an already hugely deep and intense relationship beyond measure. 

...It's also turning me into a gibbering wreck, but hey. 

• Love 6

For some reason I'm totally sympathetic to Juliette on this one! She really is getting no support from her label and she hasnt in forever. Rayna's the one who called this meeting it seems right? Its not like Juliette just showed up to yell at her. She's just trying to re-launch her career and defend her decisions, which are kind of working...

IDK....I love rayna too obviously, but come on, she needs to deal with her label. 

I agree.  From the clip it seems that Rayna was the one who called the meeting, but then she did not want to deal with the issue.  Juliette immediately agreed to pay the fines, etc. herself.  She was not being out of line in any way.  She simply spoke the truth about the company's failure to support her.  Rayna was up for criticizing Juliette for her actions, but not up for receiving any criticism of her business. 

Of course, Rayna should be focusing on Deacon, but that doesn't mean that she should ignore the need to keep the business going for her artists.  Couldn't she call in Tandy to help?  Highway 66 doesn't seem to be doing anything in the way of marketing Juliette.  (For that matter, Jeff, not Highway 66, has been the one marketing Layla.)  Shouldn't it have a PR Department?  Bucky's idea of playing some small clubs was just lame, and he didn't seem to be arranging any appearances.  

• Love 3

Sorry, Juliette's the baddie here, IMO. She's undoubtedly deep in post-partum, but PPD had a lot to work with. She's always been all about herherher, and now it's just magnified a gazillionfold. I am really hoping they manage their intervention before something bad happens to little Cadence. Though I don't think even "Nashville" would go that far? Or...would they? She's just nutso and serve her right if everybody just dumped her, from Avery right on down.Those crazy eyes, though! Worthy of a demented Roman emperor. Surprised Hayden Panettiere can still keep them in their sockets.

Scarlett and Gunnar, don't care anymore. One more go-round on the old jealousy carousel: Scarlett's jealous of whatever the interchangeable chick's name is (and I don't believe for one nanosecond that it was rape; all just a plot to get Gunnar), interchangeable chick is jealous of Scarlett, Gunnar jealous of Nice Dr. Caleb, Dr. Caleb much too grownup to play their stupid games. And I'm fed up.

Fed up with Mayor Teddy too. Another storyline I'll be fast-forwarding through.

Chip and Connie hit it out of the park tonight, though.

• Love 4

The Juliette storyline was super cringe-worthy. I don't think it's just post-partum -- she's just not meant to be a mother. Not all women are. I think they're better off hiring a full time nanny and letting her focus on her career, rather than shoehorn her into a role she has no interest in.

I am bored by the Scarlette and Gunnar relationship. I think it's pretty obvious by this point that their current partners are temporary and I can't believe they're still dragging this out like we don't all know where this is going.

I don't think I'll miss Teddy if they kill him off this season. I'm not really sure how his corrupt politician/FBI sting storyline fits into a show about country musicians.

Will has never been the brightest bulb so I'm not surprised he let his father talk his way back into his life. Kevin is right of course, and can I say how glad I am that they didn't make this about him not wanting to hide the relationship for the sake of Will's career. He's in the industry as much as Will is and they've written him to be too smart to not realise what he was signing up for.

• Love 6
(edited)

Since the episode title asked, yes. The better part of this show is obviously over.

Here's hoping the only tolerable people on this show, Avery and Deacon, take the baby; Juliette's Manager Whose Name Doesn't Really Matter; Rayna's Manager, who I know isn't the same person as Juliette's Manager since they shared a scene tonight; Juliette's Assistant and Daphne, and live together happily ever after, away from all the whiny jackasses on this show.

UGH.

Oh, and Avery needs to go right for the gold and let Juliette know she's just as awesome at parenting as her mom was.

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 8

Yep, it really is getting harder and harder to defend Juliette.  Even looking past how cold she is to her child, she really didn't seem to give a damn about Deacon, calls Rayna a bitch for no good reason (this was before the meeting, so that can't even be used as an excuse), and when Avery and crew try to help, she blows them off.  It sounds like it is going to end up being PPD, but this is not pleasant to watch.

This really wasn't Avery's night in general, huh?  Besides the Juliette stuff, poor guy gets no love from Scarlett or Gunnar.  At least that was kind of amusing.  Cracked up at his "Hey, guys!  Guys!  Guys?  Am I invisible or something?  OK, bye!"  Hey, at least you are dealing with their drama anymore, Avery.  You're just stuck with.... a wife, who has lost her mind.  Poor Avery.

Will this Gunnar/Scarlett stuff ever die?  I hate it so much.  It was so obvious that Highway 65 was the best choice, but Scarlett was stalling because of what happened before, and because she and Gunnar almost hate each other now.  But, of course, Gunnar's too daft to figure that out, so he makes it worse.  They finally chill and agree to work as "business partners", but I'm sure that will change, and they'll hook-up again.  Caleb and Kiley might as well just pack it up and go.  

Will just ain't ever going to get any happiness, huh?  His dad shows up and messes things up with Kevin.  And, now some tabloid has gotten ahold of some pictures.  I wouldn't be surprised if something prevents them from being published, but I suspect they're going to make Luke force Will to end the relationship or something.

So, Jeff did get Layla kicked off the tour, but now his grand plan is to start a Twitter feud with Jade?  Really?  I mean, it can work on some levels, but I would think in the long-run, just keeping Layla on the tour, would have been better.  Am I suppose to thing this is a bright idea or just believe Jeff's has let his hatred of Jade get the better of him?

So, the DA's big plan is to make Ted restart a relationship with a corrupt congressman, that was part of Lamar's shady dealings.  Sounds like it could implicate Tandy as well.  I wish I could care, but I'm here for the music politics and drama, not actual political drama.

The Deacon and Rayna song was great.  And, now Beverly has returned and agreed to the surgery, but judging from that stink-eye she was giving Rayna, I almost think she is up to something else.  At this point, I don't know.  Anything can happen on Nashville!

• Love 3

Ugh, Will's dad is gross and just wants Will's money.

I hope Luke won't be a dick about Will being gay.

Glad to see Beverly is doing the right thing. I think she felt shamed when Rayna tried to pay her off. Very pleased Rayna told Deacon about seeing Beverly and the attempted payoff.

Poor Will. I knew he was in trouble when we saw him being all happy with Kevin. His dad is awful, and I really hope he gets punched in the face. Several times. 

I`m annoyed with Juliette, but I also feel bad for her. She clearly has PPD, it seems to go beyond being a bad mother. She did have a point with Rayna though. She really hasn't gotten much support from her label, even in the middle of her big comeback. Here`s hoping she and Avery can end the season on a positive note. Don`t mess with my babies! 

Deacon and Ryana are killing it.Its too bad neither CE or CB will be nominated for any big awards (maybe CB), because they are doing great, heartbreaking stuff. And I loved their song together.

Gunnar and Scarlet and their romances are just boring. Just get back to being weird friends/band mates! That`s just so much BETTER!

• Love 2

I guess I'll stand up for Juliette.  Juliette's people, who are used to her ways, noted that she had a shorter fuse than usual which tipped them off to the fact that something was wrong with her.  And the doctor mentioned that hyper-focus, such as Juliette's belief that she needs to have an album done in two days, is one way in which PPD can manifest itself.   I don't think Juliette displayed lack of care about Deacon, she was displaying denial.  She repeatedly told Avery that Deacon is handling it and he'll be all right.  But last week we saw her break down when Deacon told her.  And we saw her be great with Maddie. 

Juliette can be selfish but she is also very capable of empathy, especially with Rayna's girls.  So I don't think the story here is that Juliette shouldn't be a mom. Her issues are very specific. 

Of course she didn't take well to the intervention.  Juliette has always been a highly sensitive and defensive person even at what she perceives to be the smallest slight.  This would have been tough even if she were in her right mind but she's not.  She's mentally ill and mental illness ain't pretty. 

• Love 12

So what was that look that Beverly gave Rayna at the end?  I didn't read it as she was shamed by Rayna and now she has come back to save her brother as much as she wants more than money from Rayna at this point.  I wonder if she realizes that Rayna might have come clean to Deacon about the payoff measure.  I could see her wanting to hold that over Rayna's head for her personal gain...such as a recording contract at Highway 65.

Am I the only one thinking that it was probably Beverly who leaked the news about Deacon to the press?

I thought that as well as the female on the radio talking about Deacon's illness sounded just like her.

So Teddy has to take down Tandy now to get off?  Damn.

I'm not sure if Luke will either drop Will or force him to stay in the closet.  I hope the show goes the opposite and Luke supports Will and sees it as a great marketing campaign for his new label by being open and welcoming to an out and proud gay country singer.

I agree that Will's storyline is going to end w/him finding out his dad is only trying to reconnect to get money for he and his wife.  I just hope Kevin will be there for Will after it all.

• Love 1

Beverly could be planning to use her brother's illness as a way to kick start her own music career.

I wish they'd just hire a nanny for Cadence, PPD or not they need someone on hand to take care of the kid so Juliet can work when she needs to and if Avery plans to remain her band manager then he wont be around either. 

I see my hopes of Teddy being put on a bus for a while will go unfilled. 

Loved Scarlet and Gunnar's song, if they could just please stay away from each other until a guitar and microphones are involved that would be great. 

• Love 5
Juliette can be selfish but she is also very capable of empathy, especially with Rayna's girls. So I don't think the story here is that Juliette shouldn't be a mom. Her issues are very specific.

Fair enough. Thinking about it more, I guess there could be some underlying psychosis where she thinks she wouldn't be a good mom, so she's focusing on the one thing she thinks she can be good at, which is a country music star.

I'm glad that it's looking like we'll see some kind of denouement to Deacon's cancer by next episode. While I think it's been a good arc for the characters involved, I think it might be a little too drawn out by this point.

This Layla and Jeff thing is terrible. Why is she constantly being victimized by men?

I'm not sure how they'll play with Luke finding out. Those photos weren't that incriminating -- it just looked like two guys camping -- so it's possible that Luke might think it was part of a songwriting retreat for the album. Then again, is Luke really that stupid? Like I said earlier, I don't think the tabloid will print the photos, but I do think that it will force Will to make a choice... and they've just raised the stakes by bringing his dad back.

• Love 2

I knew the minute Rayna received the torn-up check that Beverly was going to agree to be the donor anyway.

I wonder how difficult it is for new mom Hayden to play such a bad mom role. It must go against her every instinct!

• Love 2

"Bitch gets five minutes, tops."

WTF?

How do you all keep liking Juliette?????

I actually had to rewind to make sure I heard it right. I still love her to death, but this storyline has me damn near needing medication myself. I did laugh at Avery's hair when they came out of the bathroom on the plane. 

Matter fact, I don't know that I'm going to be able to watch the finale. This entire episode was sad as hell. I was hoping Will/Kevin would be my happy place, but clearly not. 

Jeff is a terrible, terrible person and I actually feel bad for Layla. I can't believe she signed that contract. 

I wish Scarlett would have smacked Gunnar with that tamborine. Why is Kylie here? Why? What purpose does she serve? 

Teddy is boring me. I hope they aren't going to be investigating Tandy. 

Speaking of, shout out to all the dead/vanquished characters who were mentioned tonight. I thought Zoe's name might pop up as well.

If looks could kill, Rayna would have dropped dead when Beverly glared at her over Deacon's shoulder. But, whatever. Hurry up and get her liver before she changes her mind.

I can't even...y'all I need time to process what I just watched. Fix it, Jesus. Please. 

• Love 4
I'm not sure if Luke will either drop Will or force him to stay in the closet.  I hope the show goes the opposite and Luke supports Will and sees it as a great marketing campaign for his new label by being open and welcoming to an out and proud gay country singer

I don't see that happening and I like Luke. I liked his expression when he saw the photos though. I think Luke has already figured out Will's deal and just doesn't care. I do think he would cut Will lose in a heartbeat if he thought it would hurt his bottom line he's already done it to Jeff.  Luke doesn't mix emotion with business he not gonna care that Will is a good guy or even that he personally likes him. Its not personal its just business are words he lives by. I do think in this case he would end up regretting it though because I think he truly likes Will and has enjoyed being his mentor and it might be chance for Luke to grow a little.

How do you all keep liking Juliette?????

Juliette is mentally ill I can't really hold her behavior against her. As John Locke once said "crazy people don't think their crazy they think their getting saner". In Juliette's mind everybody else is over reacting and she just getting shit done. Having been depressed I get it (Although mine was more of a garden variety depression). I mean when I was depressed I knew theoretically I could leave my apartment and nothing terrible would happen.  But every time I walked out the door I was couldn't shake the almost overwhelming feeling something terrible would happen while I was gone. So I stayed inside as much as possible to the point where I wouldn't leave the house for days. Looking back now it seems nutty but at the time it was the only way I felt safe. I think Juliette is doing something similar.  Motherhood terrifies her so she doing every thing she can to avoid it. Deacon's cancer is probably getting similar reaction. Plus Juliette always been one to act out, so I think on some level she is taking out her anger and frustration on those around her.

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't care about Teddy...or Jeff...or Will's dad...or Beverly...or Luke...or Kiley...or her kid.

I care a little about Will, Layla, Scarlett, and Gunnar.

I care very much about Deacon and Rayna.

I want to smack Juliette and Avery. Hire a frakkin nanny.

Did Rayna have an open wine bottle on the table while she was listening to records and crying?? Who does that with an alcoholic living the house??

I see that we're back to cutting scenes off in the middle. Bleck.

Loved that Rayna told Deacon the truth about Crazy Beverly. Loved Rayna sobbing about how she's been trying to fix things for years and can't. Baby steps to self-awareness! Accept what you cannot change, Ray! Don't know what the nutty side-eye was about at the end. Hope Deacon gets the liver and Beverly dies in surgery.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I also thought Beverly's look at Rayna at the end was quite malevolent.  Have no idea why. 

Poor Layla is really getting gaslighted by Jeff.  She really needs to go back to Harvard and just be a student for a while. 

• Love 2

PPD or not, Juliette's right with her reaction towards Rayna. What has Rayna done for her? Juliette's staging her own concert and dealing with finishing her own album, same goes for Layla. The tour she was on (before Jeff got her kicked off) was a tour that she too got herself. She got that opening act and got that tour on her own. So what is Rayna and this label doing for them when they're all out there setting up and doing their own concerts.

Vs.

Will, who is attending concerts and venues set up for him by his label and with *gasp* his label head there for him too. 

Scarlette was right, she and Gunner should have kept looking around and not sign with someone who probably wasn't going to do anything for them.

• Love 4

How can Layla be so stupid? Only a moron signs a lifetime contract like that, she didn't even have the brains to have a lawyer look at it. Why didn't they let her die in the pool?

Will is also a moron, his father clearly thinks he's straight now, as soon as he finds out Will is still gay, he's going to hate him again.

Show, do NOT have Scarlett & Gunnar hook up again, I am over them.

I find the Juliette plot incredibly boring, they need to end that too.

• Love 3
(edited)

The people who are begging the show not to hook up Scarlett and Gunnar are shooting themselves in the foot.

The only alternative that we get to them being in a relationship is drama, drama, drama and more drama with redundant side characters that end up getting burned. As bad as the writing is on this show - and boy, it truly is bad - the narrative is all about their romance slash musical partnership when it comes to them. They have a combined stage presence, chemistry and musical compatibility that none on the show can match. It isn't even close. Not even with all the bizarre and contrived hate and the character assassinations.

There are behind the scenes reasons for this stuff being drawn out for years and years but the show plainly cannot afford to mess these two up anymore. The unprofessionalism has to go. Put them together and call victory. Let them finally be stable - the reason everyone hates it is the endless drama. Every single episode with a performance by these two lifts the musical value by at least 50%.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 1

Juliette is mentally ill I can't really hold her behavior against her.

But when you're not in the habit of treating others with basic human courtesy, it's hard to tell when you're going off the deep end.  George Clooney slapping a waiter would be 911; Paris Hilton, what else is new?

"Bitch gets five minutes, tops" didn't send Other-Bucky scrambling to find the ventriloquist--he was just mildly surprised there were higher numbers left for her to hit on the meanness scale.

• Love 7

In other news Deacon remains the biggest S/G shipper in the universe...

The cancer must have spread to his brain.

I don't enjoy this show anymore and hate what they're doing to Avery/Juliette but yet I continue to watch.

• Love 1

Oh, good. Everyone is back to lying. Juliette lied to Avery about Rayna DEMANDING an album in two days then she lied to Avery about staying home with the baby. Jeff lied to Layla about posting that picture and then he lied to both Bucky and Layla about the Jade twitter war. Gunnar lied to Scarlett about Noel saying that her weird feelings were causing problems. Will didn't outright lie but letting his dad think he's straight now is a pretty big lie of omission. On the plus side, Rayna came clean to Deacon about going to see Beverly and offering her one meeeeeeeellion dollars.

Gunnar is an idiot. Aside from the lying, he is still being a dick to Caleb and accusing Scarlett of being a stuck up snob. GAWD. I felt bad that poor Caleb and Kiley were stuck in that awkward situation at the Bluebird. Do you see what you are doing, show? You are making me feel sorry for KILEY. I love that Caleb is being such an adult about the situation. Instead of getting jealous and then trying to snoop, he just point blank asked Scarlett what was going on with Gunnar and then asked if she still had feelings for him. I hope we get to keep him since he and Daphne are the only mature rational characters on this show.

I was so disappointed that Scarlett and Gunnar didn't invite Avery to sing with them when they had to fill in for Deacon. One night only! The Triple X reunion! I guess it's a good thing they didn't include him since he had to run off to do an intervention with Juliette.

Jeff was in full on creepy abusive boyfriend mode. First he posted that picture from the party to get Layla fired and then guilt tripped her about how drunk and stupid she was for something she didn't actually do. Then he served up that bull shit contract with a side of emotional manipulation: "I built you up from nothing once...No one's going to take care of you the way I have, the way that I will. Or I can walk away right now and you can go back to wallowing in this dingy apartment." He insults her, tells her that she'll never find anyone as good as him, threatens to leave, and then tells her how shitty her life will be without him. Then he compliments her and rewards her with attention and sex. That's textbook abusive behavior. I can't believe Layla signed that contract without at least having a lawyer look it over. "In perpetuity for the life of the career of the artist" means that now she is Sadie.

Ugh, please go away, Kiley. Go back home and be with Micah so that I don't have to see either of you anymore.

Favorite unintentionally funny moment of the night:  During Deacon and Rayna's song a the Bluebird, Scarlett and Gunnar go into the audience after their backstage truce.  There is a guy sitting on a bar stool.  Scarlett stops right in front of him and her enormous hair completely obscures his view.

As a short person, I am always very aware of blocking someone else's view (mostly because I can't tell you how many times I have been at a bar or music festival only to have someone who is a good foot taller than I am stand right in front of me) so when I saw Scarlett do that, I thought come on! Who does that? Heh, apparently everyone except me.

• Love 9

Am I the only one thinking that it was probably Beverly who leaked the news about Deacon to the press?

Oh, I'm very very sure Beverly was the leak. All so she can publicly swoop in and save her brother.

• Love 5
(edited)

Usually, I'll watch the episode twice, but I can't watch that again. I haven't been this disappointed in an episode since earlier this season when Ruke was a thing. 

Jeff's manipulation of Layla actually surprised me. Just when I thought I couldn't be more disgusted by him, he took it to another level. He was gleeful while destroying her career. But why? Was she that terrible last week at Jade's? I mean, of course she was acting-wise, but...I don't get them. I'm over it.

Rayna is one of, if not the most positive character on this show. She is always giving pep talks and reassuring folks and she usually always speaks positively even when she's not being truly honest with herself. I was surprised to hear to say that she didn't have any hope for Deacon getting another liver. On one hand, I was thankful for her honesty (unlike when she kept insisting she was "just fine" after her father died) but it made me sad that she was starting to be accept the very real possibility of losing the love of her life. Looks like we're getting that hail Mary liver though! Can we just put Beverly under for the next few days? Put her in stasis or something so we don't have to hear her mouth and she doesn't suddenly have a change of heart?

I think the character formerly known as Cute Songwriter Dude is genuinely trying to protect Will from another confrontation with his homophobic father. While I would love to believe that Will's father is legit happy for his son and completely accepting...hell, I can't even type that with a straight face. Y'all will be able to knock me over with a feather if Nashville takes the road less traveled and Will's father has changed. 

Gunnar and Scarlett are tiring! Just stop already. Gunnar's treatment of her is out of control and there is no justification for it. He was rude to Dr. Boyfriend for no reason. I didn't notice the "shade" Scarlett was throwing to Kylie, but at least she'd have a reason. And why the hell was Kylie asking Gunnar what was going on between he and Scarlett anyway? Surely it's none of her damn business! Hell no. Bring Zoe back if you must, but Kylie must go. No, don't do that. That would just be another reason for The Exes to argue and I can't take any more.

I think the point with the intervention was that Juliette's "family" did realize that she was not being herself. Avery has to have noticed this since she left for LA when Cadence was three weeks old. And last week he made that comment about trying a different approach with her. I think he was testing the waters on the plane when he mentioned the baby and then asked her if she was happy. Glenn (Glenn y'all. Her manager's name is Glenn) could see it too based on his reaction to her "Bitch gets five minutes" and the look he gave Bucky when she stormed out of Rayna's office. Of course Emily walking in to hear the baby screaming her head off and Juliette's really cavalier attitude about it would set off red flags. I get it. She's not well.

The problem is that PPD on Juliette just looks like she's being a super bitch. Maybe that's the point the writers were making, that she had moved beyond that and now...I don't even know what to say at this point. I hate it. I can tell you that. I hate this storyline. I hate what they are doing with these characters and I can't watch another half season of the Barkley's angst. I don't know how they are going to fix it, but surely, they must have a plan. Right? Right!?

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 4

Glad to see Beverly is doing the right thing. I think she felt shamed when Rayna tried to pay her off. Very pleased Rayna told Deacon about seeing Beverly and the attempted payoff.

Are you serious? I'm convinced she's the one who leaked the cancer story to the media, so now everyone will know about her grand gesture when she gives him her liver, thereby eclipsing Rayna. I she hadn't done that, no one would have known that Deacon was sick and she would have gained nothing from it. Beverly is in it for herself and no one else.

• Love 12

What bothers me most at this point is that the show has just become a collection of Tired TV Tropes, start to finish. "Everyone can see they still love each other, but THEM!" "Wear this wire and no jail time for you" "We've just gotten back together and now you're gonna die!" "Paparazzi gets private vacay photos?? No way!" "Here, sign this contract with no lawyers present." "I'm your long lost dad." (times a million) 

Miss any?

• Love 5

What bothers me most at this point is that the show has just become a collection of Tired TV Tropes, start to finish. "Everyone can see they still love each other, but THEM!" "Wear this wire and no jail time for you" "We've just gotten back together and now you're gonna die!" "Paparazzi gets private vacay photos?? No way!" "Here, sign this contract with no lawyers present." "I'm your long lost dad." (times a million) 

Miss any?

Well and nobody gets to be HAPPY for more than one episode, at the most. I actually stopped watching earlier this season because the drama's just unstoppable.

"We found you a liver!"

"Oops. Put a pin in that. Your fever is a little high. ... We may not be able to operate.""

"WE CAN OPERATE! YOU'RE GOING TO LIVE!""

"Oops. Wait, cancer in the donor body... Our bad."

Teddy gets a way to weasel out of being a complete scumbag, but in order to do it he has to not only wear a wire but ALSO take down his ex-wife's sister, the aunt to both of his daughters. I loved Eric Close on "Now & Again" and really liked him on "Without a Trace," but this show makes me want to stab Teddy in the face.

Come on, let someone not be a complete scuzzball or a screeching harpie for more than one episode, PLEASE, writers.

• Love 1

Well that was fun!

This episode had a back to basics feel that reminded me of season 1. 

I loved Deacon and Rayna together. I teared up over her breakdown and him trying to comfort her. Their song was beautiful and God I just love it when these 2 sing straight into each others' souls.

Scarlett and Gunnar acted like grownups at last. Even though this is dragging and obviously they're the endgame, their confrontations in this episode had a certain honesty. They both admit that they still have something for each other, but if they wanna move on and keep it professional I'm down for it. Can we just lose Kylie/FauxSerena!? She's terrible. Love Caleb, he's welcome to stay for as long as he wants.

I get Caleb asking about Scarlett and Gunnar, but Kylie has absolutely no right to ask Gunnar about 'what's going on' because 1) they're not dating, 2) regardless of the rape issue, she walked out on her own kid and left him with Gunnar.

Will breaks my heart. I liked the actor who played his dad, but I'm sure he's gonna go apeshit when he finds out about Will being gay.

Kevin is the best. As someone mentioned above, I'm so glad they didn't go with the whole 'Let's Be Gay To The World' attitude. Kevin gets how hard it is for Will.

Lyla and Jeff... This week on Men Like My Daddy. This storyline is getting sicker by the minute. I hate how she's being manipulated and I can't believe she signed that contract without reading it and consulting with a lawyer first. Wasn't she supposedly smart enough to blow off Harvard? Why are they dumbing her down! And as if that's not enough, they start making out right after. I JUST CAN'T.

Juliette is indeed in a downward spiral. I'm glad everyone around her is finally taking some serious action. Hayden is such a good actress though, those crazy eyes girl! SPENCER HASTINGS HAS GOT NOTHING ON YOU!

I agree. She was kind of a bitch to Rayna. She could have been more sensitive instead of calling her out on her not being a professional. I think a more realistic response would've been "Hey is everything okay with you?"

But I guess the writers are trying to magnify her actions by reverting her to her spoiled MEMEMEIII season 1 self.

• Love 2

Oh, I'm very very sure Beverly was the leak. All so she can publicly swoop in and save her brother.

You know, I hadn't thought about it that way - thought she was the leak for sure, but hadn't put it together with her swooping into the Bluebird to save his life. Thank you!!

• Love 4

Well and nobody gets to be HAPPY for more than one episode, at the most.

I know. I especially feel sorry for Deacon. He's got the alcoholism-thing going, which serves as a constant potential for drama, then he got his hand smashed, now he's battling cancer... and missing out on his livers. I have a feeling there could be other storylines besides health scares for him but what do I know. Besides, back then on Brothers&Sisters they had that liver-thing done and over with in one episode. I'm really not sure what was worse. Maybe the cute doctor guy kinda sucks at being a doctor. Though I do hope Scarlett keeps him (she won't).

What I find frustrating is the constant demonization of Juliette. The only reason I still love her is because of HP's acting. Otherwise, everyone around her is busy with her drama and she rarely comes off as genuinely down to earth. Except when she's around the Stella girls. You tell me what that means.

Jeff and Layla have minus zero (sexual) chemistry and they freak me out. I have a feeling the actors feel the same.

I'm actually quite happy with the way they're handling Will's storyline. Yes, his dad's a mustache twirling dick but it's so heartbreaking to see how Will jumps at the teeniest chance of a possible happy relationship with him that I cannot blame him for being naive. It's just in you. You want your parent's approval. I also like how Kevin's kinda cool with officially being the coworker - for now - I seriously did not see that coming. Instead, he is the voice of reason. Now, Will hears him but won't listen, that much is clear. I just hope Kevin will stick around for when he does. Besides, a couple like that can only exist on TV otherwise the universe would implode out of their sheer visual perfection.

I will always have a soft spot for Eric Close, I don't care what this show does to his character. Whatever, show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Favorite unintentionally funny moment of the night:  During Deacon and Rayna's song a the Bluebird, Scarlett and Gunnar go into the audience after their backstage truce.  There is a guy sitting on a bar stool.  Scarlett stops right in front of him and her enormous hair completely obscures his view.

That was both funny and awful.  But despite the massive volume of Scarlett's hair, it is looking a bit better.  I really want the guy from WEN to get a hold of her.  Plus, her convulsive dancing hasn't been seen in a couple of episodes - so yeah!  It's a much more sedate hip swing/sway and tamborining going on.  I'll take it.

I also thought Beverly's look at Rayna at the end was quite malevolent.  Have no idea why. 

Poor Layla is really getting gaslighted by Jeff.  She really needs to go back to Harvard and just be a student for a while. 

That was some MAJOR stink eye she was throwing.

I forgot Layla was accepted at Harvard.  I'd have to say Harvard should be filing suit againt the Show for defamation for saying the school was stupid enough to accept a girl who is clearly dumber than dirt.

The most compelling relationships they've added to the show have been Will's with Brent and Kevin.  They've made them believable and likeable (even though they are doomed).  Why can't they achieve that with Doc Caleb, Kylie, Zoe, ...?

And damn it Chip E!  I was getting a little misty when Rayna was coming all undone, but just your face when you broke down did me in!

Let them finally be stable - the reason everyone hates it is the endless drama. Every single episode with a performance by these two lifts the musical value by at least 50%.

I find Scarlett and Gunnar's musical performances the least pleasant on the show, so for me it is a big detract.  And I find the two of them the least interesting relationship too.  They had potential when the show started, but that was quickly frittered away.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I hadn't thought of Beverly being the leaker, but that does make sense. Do we think we're meant to see this Rayna/Deacon/Beverly situation as a love triangle? Like...the writers know we won't buy another actual love triangle or that any other woman would be able to take Deacon from Rayna, but Beverly and her insanity can do it because...Deacon is blind to her evil??? THAT'S SO DUMB! Also, it's creepy and weird. Also, I'm bored by it already. I like watching Rayna and Deacon work together. It's interesting and engaging. Why can't they just be a music power couple? Nashville is full of those!

• Love 2