Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Jekyll And Snide

• Start Topic

(edited)

Also I'm not really on board with all this "disappointment" in Shep for this episode. Everyone has a snarky and snotty side. Rich people aren't exempt, regardless of how "well" they were raised. Add that in with being in the middle of filming, which is a contractual obligation, and being forced to near constantly be around someone you need a break from (cos we all have those friends) and it makes perfect sense that Shep would cop an attitude with a guy like Craig til they could get some time apart. Cameran is snarky, rude, and kinda backstabby in most episodes, but we're supposed to be ok with that cos she's cute and not usually 100% in the middle....just the middle man. That whole advising Shep to treat Craig like shit just to knock him down a few pegs was shitty...especially since she was probably aware of that tension leftover from the DE trip and was fueling that drama while basically giving Shep more "license" to act like a huge jerk instead of trying to reign it in. I think Cameran loves the drama but will go on the DL to play puppet master so she can sit back, stay innocent, and watch the carnage...then be all fake bewildered that her friends acted like that. Half the conflicts in this episode wouldn't have happened if Cameran had stayed out of the guys' business.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 7

Except that makes it sound like everyone's behavior was Cameran's fault, which seems a little silly to me considering these are all educated adults. Moreover, and only speaking for myself, I don't think that Shep's this awful person because of how we saw him behave this episode. In fact, I still think he's a perfectly nice guy. But Shep himself has acknowledged that his behavior was out of line. He's entitled to have an off day every once in awhile and lose his cool, and I don't think it's necessary to try to apologize or create excuses for him. Pinning it all on Cameran or Craig seems unfair. 

Additionally, I can never abide by the "He's rich and privileged and tired of all these people!" argument because, like, I'm about as poor as a church mouse and that's not really a valid excuse for treating someone else in a shitty manner. Combined with the fact that Shep is probably being well compensated for all of his contractual obligations (which include lavish vacations and a seemingly endless bar tab), and I can't muster much sympathy for him or anyone else on the show. 

• Love 8

I wasn't blaming Cameran specifically for Shep's crappy attitude, but I do think she added fuel to the fire, especially with that "advice" to Shep about Craig needing some tough love, and later from what she claimed Craig texted her about his night on the beach. There was no footage of C&K so it's very easy for her to get these people to speculate about what really happened. I think she likes to play the manipulator.

• Love 6

Really they're just grasping for story lines.  So Craig is taking it on the chin this year, for being a no-good layabout who just likes to party.

They were hoping the Kathryn-Thomas story would be as explosive as last year but there's been nothing like the dinner party where she was accused of sleeping with 3 of the men present.

But it fizzled out, probably because Thomas tried to avoid being around her.

Looks like they want it to get trashy, in order to have more explosive confrontations.

• Love 3

Really they're just grasping for story lines.  So Craig is taking it on the chin this year, for being a no-good layabout who just likes to party.

They were hoping the Kathryn-Thomas story would be as explosive as last year but there's been nothing like the dinner party where she was accused of sleeping with 3 of the men present.

But it fizzled out, probably because Thomas tried to avoid being around her.

Looks like they want it to get trashy, in order to have more explosive confrontations.

Probably, but they do seem to be relying a lot on Cameran and her say so's to pull these storylines along. Whether it's her true personality or she's being coached from production (by Whitney, even?) she does seem to be throwing her opinions around a lot with everyone, then taking on the wide eyed innocent look when it plays out badly. Like she's cool with dog piling all over Craig for being lazy and irresponsible for the first half of the day, but then once dinner is over she's sick of it and is acting like she is above the nonsense.

• Love 7

I just rewatched the full episode and saw the part that I missed--which was all of the Shep/Craig fighting. Granted, I get why Shep was annoyed with Craig but he was particularly cruel. I was wrong about Craig changing his pants in the street. He had the same black jeans on and only changed his shirt...and grabbed his jaunty captain's hat, I suppose!

• Love 1

Well these shows do have writers so I'm sure they come up with story ideas and then coach the cast members on what to say.

I remember at the time of The Hills, they were saying nasty things to each other and it turned out they practiced many of those scenes and did many takes to shoot them.

So it wasn't spontaneous interactions, like they wanted viewers to believe, so there's probably some of that going on here too.

• Love 2

I guess I'm so anethesitized from the weave-pulling, table-flipping, and drink-tossing histrionics from the every other Bravolebrity that the antics and snark of the SC cast is amusingly mild. I don't see Cameran as instigator or shit stirrer. I see her in the clear eyed reporter role. I like the snark. I love snark. Snark is my fav. In fact, I much prefer Whitney's snark to Kathryn's slurred cussing or incessant pouting. No one has done anything or said anything on camera - again, on camera- that's as reprehensible as anything said or done on RHONJ, RHONY, etc.

Did anyone see the extended clip of the Whitney/Kathryn fight? Shep asked iJennifer if Kathryn was so upset because he won Jenga. Wish they had left that in.

• Love 2

Kiki620 The appeal of this show has been the fun of the group.  This episode was disappointing, I don't want to see these people fighting or being brats in general.  Boo.

Southern Charm is supposed to be a palate-cleansing mint julep after the carnage of the Real Housewives. You hear that, Bravo?

Pasdetrois and njbchlover, I agree Shep was not at his best. Plus he was wrong about the directions to the beach, and Craig was right!

fliptopbox, I believe Shep when he tweeted that his behavior was down to the stress of filming, etc. We all have our moments.

Imjagain Did anyone else hear Craig say something like "You all don't even talk to the girl unless you're sleeping with her."? Did I hear that wrong?

You heard it exactly right.

JenE4 [Craig] becomes Bear Grills meets Gilligan creating a shelter for Kathryn by digging a hole in the sand and covering themselves with branches--keeping each other warm in their hole with their body heat. But for as great as all of that was, my favorite moment was Kathryn ranting and raving getting off 50,000 insults on Whitney, but he shuts her down with a very calmly, matter-of-factly delivered "Your heart is a black spot with a dollar sign." Boom! [mic drop]

Co-sign to your whole post. I cannot wait to hear more about how Craig "dug a hole and put branches on top of her."

Fliptopbox [Whitney and Kathryn] both want TRav to wife em up.

This is the thing.

RedHawk Craig is not going to make the backwards captain's cap happen.

** puts away captain's cap **

• Love 9
(edited)

All Whitney should have said to Kathryn is, "STFU lady, you're just a baby mama.  Come back to me when you're a wife, or at least a fiancee."  I would have laughed so hard.  I mean Kathryn was letting go the F bombs, so the door's open.  Kathryn acted like a drunk floozy.  

Kathryn has to realize that she's in love with a fifty something year old man.  He's set in his ways, he's got his friends and his life.  She probably would have been happier with Craig.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

It's disturbing the way Thomas pretends Kathryn doesn't exist while campaigning - reminds me of the way Prince Charles seemed to use Princess Diana just to pop out babies.

To be fair I pretend Kathryn doesn't exist unless I'm watching....

• Love 7
(edited)

I just re-watched some. What was that Whitney said that he hears that Kathryn is out all the time? That may be one of the "bloodcurdling" things that Thomas told Whitney about Kathryn. And I believe it. She's a party girl/bar star (nothing wrong with that, I was too in my 20's) who stupidly tried to tie down a 50 year old rich guy with a baby. Now she's paying the piper. Having a child is truly wonderful-but it's not all fun and games and it will seriously cramp your style. Oops, she figured that out too late.

When I was a party girl, I didn't have a child(ren) yet. When you have kids you need to settle down, at least for many years. They need you home and with them. Of course moms can get a night out to blow off steam sometimes but Kathryn seems to always be blowing off steam-and boozing. What an idiot she is, getting pregnant deliberately at 21. Throwing her youth and freedom away and now bitching about it! I think Whitney is an asshole but I also think he's on to something-that Kathryn has many screws loose.

I wonder what JD and his wife's private thoughts on the whole Thomas/Kathryn debacle are.

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 5

I think Shep and Cameran were kind of annoying this episode.  I get it, but it seems over the top to be laughing that much at Craig's screw ups. I'm sure Craig can be annoying and it is disappointing to see him fail at his law job but 1) wasn't Cameran selling make up for a living like 2 years ago? and 2) Craig's "job" right now is to be on the show so it's not like he is starving with no money. He probably makes a lot more from the show and appearances in Charleston than he did as paralegal . Now, of course, he needs to get back on track with the law career but he has time to do that. 

Kathryn seemed like a hot mess.  22 or not, that was embarrassing to have on camera forever.  I do believe Whitney that Thomas tells him bad stories about Kathryn.  I would be pissed about that if I were Kathryn but she needs to be pissed at THOMAS not Whitney.  If Thomas and Kathryn were really happy, Thomas probably would never listen to Whitney. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I think Shep and Cameran were kind of annoying this episode.  I get it, but it seems over the top to be laughing that much at Craig's screw ups. I'm sure Craig can be annoying and it is disappointing to see him fail at his law job but 1) wasn't Cameran selling make up for a living like 2 years ago? and 2) Craig's "job" right now is to be on the show so it's not like he is starving with no money. He probably makes a lot more from the show and appearances in Charleston than he did as paralegal . Now, of course, he needs to get back on track with the law career but he has time to do that. 

Kathryn seemed like a hot mess.  22 or not, that was embarrassing to have on camera forever.  I do believe Whitney that Thomas tells him bad stories about Kathryn.  I would be pissed about that if I were Kathryn but she needs to be pissed at THOMAS not Whitney.  If Thomas and Kathryn were really happy, Thomas probably would never listen to Whitney. 

I was thinking the same thing...Kathryn lambasted Thomas and Whitney about that stupid TV commercial that Thomas made, dancing with her sorority sister and other girls, etc., and how embarassing it would be to Kenzie when she is older - well, how about seeing your Mom acting like a drunken, batshit crazy, screaming harridan (to use one of Patricia's words...)??  

Big difference compared to a perfectly G-rated scene of Thomas dancing with a group of girls....

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 4
(edited)

Kathryn really did look crazy nuts-o in that "confrontation" with Whitney, who sat there as cool as a cucumber and looked at Kathryn like SHE was nuts.  She was proving Whitney's point by acting like that.  

Whitney does act like a jerk, but Kathryn needs to direct her upset at Thomas.

Also, why was Kathryn so upset at that commercial with Thomas dancing?  He wasn't twerking or hitting them on their behinds or anything, it looked innocent to me.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I didn't feel comfortable saying this before, because of all the Shep Rose love, but frankly, I've never been a huge fan of his. Not that I disliked him, it's just that I've always seen him as an overgrown frat boy type. Of course he's happy-go-lucky and charming-he's got money, looks (arguably, not my cup of tea, but I get the appeal), and has been raised to be a Master of the Universe by "birthright" without having to truly sweat for any of it. And he's probably treated more than few people badly in his life "just because", without paying any real price. Not that he's a jerk all the time, it's just that no one should be surprised that this side of him exists.

• Love 11

I didn't feel comfortable saying this before, because of all the Shep Rose love, but frankly, I've never been a huge fan of his. Not that I disliked him, it's just that I've always seen him as an overgrown frat boy type. Of course he's happy-go-lucky and charming-he's got money, looks (arguably, not my cup of tea, but I get the appeal), and has been raised to be a Master of the Universe by "birthright" without having to truly sweat for any of it. And he's probably treated more than few people badly in his life "just because", without paying any real price. Not that he's a jerk all the time, it's just that no one should be surprised that this side of him exists.

I'm not a fan of Shep's either.  To me he is an overgrown frat boy, a privileged Peter Pan.  I don't think he's good looking and I don't think he has a nice body.  He'll be Whitney in 10 years.

• Love 6

All Whitney should have said to Kathryn is, "STFU lady, you're just a baby mama.  Come back to me when you're a wife, or at least a fiancee."   

Or even a serious girlfriend!

• Love 1

I think Craig always had a crush on Katherine. It really pissed him off when she slept with everyone but him which is why he was such a dick to her last season. She probably would have gotten around to him if she didn't get pregnant. Maybe she'll get around to it now, although it would just be a hook up because Craig has nothing to give her. Financially. 

Ding ding ding!  Winner winner.  

This is what I think as well and is the likely scenario.  Craig was crushing on her big time and she went for anyone BUT him and it stung. So his ego was bruised and he lashed out.  He likely got over it (seems like he gets over things easily) and he remembered why he liked her in the first place and they became friends and he's probably one of the few that doesn't judge her currently. 

I hated to see Shep like that.. but I totally get where he was coming from.  Most people just have THAT friend.  The one that you really do like but can't spend an extended amount of time around.  You start getting snippy at them for really no reason at all other than the fact that you just need a break from them.  It happens. 

• Love 4

Shep didn't have his finest moments this week for sure.  But i will always love him for his whole, "what is this place?  Heaven's waiting room"?  I died.  It ranked right up there this week with, "how did I get the job as snatch guard"?  Bravo has had me rolling this week.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode and was also rolling laughing at much of it.

So again we were reminded of the near-unbelievable fact(?) that Whitney and Kathryn hooked up (once). I was thinking, wasn't he "dating" that Euro model/reality TV girl at that time? If so, then he was cheating on her. But I guess Whitney told her the "truth" that they just got drunk and fell asleep in the same bed.

• Love 1

This was what I was getting at in my previous posts. Everyone has that side to them, and it should be no shock that Shep does as well. Especially around someone that you have a hard time spending a lot of time around. Like someone else said, too much time with certain friends just starts becoming aggravating. I imagine Craig is "that guy" for Shep, at least lately. And it seems like everyone else in the cast is encouraging it. Could be real, could be for drama's sake...but that's all we saw. You can justify it however you want after the fact, but it doesn't negate it.

• Love 2

I wonder if, as he watches the episodes, Whitney is realizing his obsession with Thomas: 

"When I promised Landon I’d go on this trip, I thought Thomas* would be there.** I was not anticipating his paramour*** to show up in his stead."

"Thomas confides in me and tells me the most horrific bloodcurdling things**** about Kathryn and what she does and how she behaves so it’s kind of hard to mask my animosity."*****

* Your true love

** Condition of attendance

*** Jealousy

**** Stop clutching your pearls

***** You're not masking it.

• Love 9

I think Shep is very immature and doofy and I've thought that for a while. This episode just confirmed it. I can see why he's friends with TRav and Whitney. Birds of a feather...

I'm not surprised Kathryn snapped. I honestly think she needs to go back to her parents for a bit and regroup. Kathryn needs to grow up a bit. She is not in a good situation with TRav and it will not get better over time. Usually, when people campaign for political office, they try to ensure that they place their family at the forefront as a means of improving their image in the eyes of voters. TRav does not want to do that. No, Kathryn is not his wife, but she is his current partner and they have a child together. His insistence on keeping Kathryn at arm's length is really annoying to watch.

• Love 4

I think TRav doesn't care much for Kathryn. He has seen too much and knows she slept with all of his friends two weeks before him. She's not the image he wanted to project to voters.

TRav wanted that scion of his own so badly that he used extremely poor judgment. Remember last season when he was seen smacking himself on the head and covering his face saying, "what did I do?" and I believe that was even before he knocked up Kathryn. He knew deep down inside that she was a very poor match for him due to her age and other factors. But he went ahead and got her pregnant and now is stuck with her in some capacity. The only upside is that he got a beautiful daughter out of it.

Still...one day in the near future I could see Kathryn being a total bitch about him seeing Kensie and using her as a bargaining chip. Good luck TRav.

I hate Craig's monotone voice but I do feel really bad for him that Shep was seen on camera imitating him with Cameran cracking up. Why did they have to do it for him to see later? Mean. I wish just once someone would totally ridicule Cameran.

• Love 3

I hate Craig's monotone voice but I do feel really bad for him that Shep was seen on camera imitating him with Cameran cracking up. Why did they have to do it for him to see later? Mean. I wish just once someone would totally ridicule Cameran.

I think they were laughing because Shep does such a shockingly good imitation of Craig's voice. Also Cameran doesn't put herself in a position to be ridiculed. She is the commentator, and while she has fun, she keeps her shit in control. Unlike Kathryn and Craig.

• Love 3

yea they weren't laughing to be mean (although shep was doing it to be mean).  They were laughing because it was a dead on impersonation. When they broke away but still had the voices on I thought I heard someone say "do thomas!"  or something like that. 

• Love 4

I find TRav and Whitney to be far more of a trainwreck than someone like Craig.

Yes, but they're rich. Kathryn and Craig aren't. I hate to say it, but that's the standard some of these folks live by. You can make fun of people who don't have what you do, because they aren't up to your standards.

And by using the word "your" I'm doing that in the general way, not at anyone here. This episode sort of starts to weed out the haves and have-nots with behavior.

• Love 3
I hate Craig's monotone voice but I do feel really bad for him that Shep was seen on camera imitating him with Cameran cracking up. Why did they have to do it for him to see later?

I think they were laughing because Shep does such a shockingly good imitation of Craig's voice.

I was cringing, especially when he walked up on it, but also laughing because it was so dead-on.

Kmow in the opening of this show they all seem to have sun cast on their faces when they show names? It's so beautiful. Laguna Beach did that on MTV and I did then and still do want that done to me. Kinda today's version of Glamour Shots.

I loved Landon's dress at the dinner party. I hated Landon's laughing at inopportune times. Which is pretty much every time she's in a shot.

Craigs speech, while hammered, was sincere and decade older Golden Boy Shep (I'm exactly his age, no ageism) needed to shut the fuck up. Life has given you millions of times to shine, back off.

Why does Kathryn have one too many and become a sassy cameo from A Different World?

Holy shit I was impressed with food portions at that dinner. Yum to all and more than a "small bite". Pull me up a chair and a triple Makers and I promise producers, you don't start nothin', there won't be nothin'.

• Love 4

Yes, but they're rich. Kathryn and Craig aren't. I hate to say it, but that's the standard some of these folks live by. You can make fun of people who don't have what you do, because they aren't up to your standards.

And by using the word "your" I'm doing that in the general way, not at anyone here. This episode sort of starts to weed out the haves and have-nots with behavior.

I think this is right. Whitney is as hot a mess as anyone on the cast, but he somehow thinks he's absolved from his bad behavior because he's privileged. Shep, too, is no angel, except he has money to fall back on. Craig, on the other hand, doesn't have the same kind of cushion (although he acts as if he does) and it appears that folks like Shep and Whitney feel as though they can look down on him for it. 

• Love 4
Craig, on the other hand, doesn't have the same kind of cushion (although he acts as if he does) and it appears that folks like Shep and Whitney feel as though they can look down on him for it.

Which really says more about Shep and Whitney than Craig. Honestly, it's hard for me to root for anyone on this show. They all are unpleasant this season outside of Landon and sweet baby Kenzie.

• Love 3

Which really says more about Shep and Whitney than Craig. Honestly, it's hard for me to root for anyone on this show. They all are unpleasant this season outside of Landon and sweet baby Kenzie.

I agree (except Landon is not good tv for me).

Like I get several are loaded, but was I alone in thinking wowza when we saw Craig's house? I thought it was fantastic. He favors Tom Cruise, has a law degree and a wonderful family. Id hit it.

When a person comes from such good stock and feels the need to knock another down, that's too much ego. The world is your oyster, your paycheck comes via mail; leave Craig alone. Yes, I get people grow old after too much time, but he and Kathryn aren't suitable victims in my opinion. Pick on someone your age and with your wealth.

• Love 4

Like I get several are loaded, but was I alone in thinking wowza when we saw Craig's house? I thought it was fantastic. He favors Tom Cruise, has a law degree and a wonderful family. Id hit it.

I thought Craig's house was beautiful! I love that it was big outside and cozy on the inside...very lived in. I love homes like that.

• Love 4

LOVED their house, and his parents.  I want Craig's brother (HAWT), but I'd take Craig in a pinch ;)

LMAO at Kathryn's Lucille Ball expression when Shep got up to make his toast right after Craig's, sometimes she cracks my shit up.

• Love 1

Kathryn has grown on me. Maybe it's that I like the underdog. Maybe it's that people twice her age act worse than her (at times). Maybe it's the way she snaps her neck when going in on Whitney. IDK, but as train-wrecky as she can be, she's pretty good entertainment.

I really hope the producers don't bring back Landon, she's a fail in my book.

Why does TRav think he has a chance in hell of winning this election? Is he that out of touch, or are the birdies whispering in his ear feeding this delusion?

• Love 6

I honestly think that TRav just had a ton of money burning a hole in his pocket. I find it hilarious that he keeps blaming Andy Cohen for the fact that he idiotically spent $1M on a dumb, poorly managed campaign. Oh well...he can use the rest of his millions to dry his tears.

• Love 3
(edited)

Kathryn has grown on me.

Me, too. As big a mess as she's always been, I can't help liking her. Or maybe just enjoying her character. She seems to be a good, loving mom. (Not sure about what we might not be seeing of her late-night behavior. But even then, Kensie is with a nanny or Kathryn's parents.) She's young and hasn't been accepted. In fact, she's been rejected outright and slighted. No wonder she's a mess! What excuse can T-Rav and Whitney give?

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1
(edited)

Craig's toast at dinner was laughable. He seriously has no clue- he tries so hard- and fails spectacularly. Of course he think's he has just made a fantastic toast. Moron. 

I completely empathize with Shep- Craig is a tacky idiot and I would be embarrassed by him as well. 

Kathryn- more of the same psychotic behavior from the failed gold digger. 

Edited by lillypforme
(edited)

I honestly think that TRav just had a ton of money burning a hole in his pocket. I find it hilarious that he keeps blaming Andy Cohen for the fact that he idiotically spent $1M on a dumb, poorly managed campaign. Oh well...he can use the rest of his millions to dry his tears.

The thing that cracks me up is that if TRav ever wants to have any involvement in politics in the future, he's pretty much killed that possibility by saying he was bullied into running by Andy Cohen, who probably hits all of the check boxes for what the most conservative parts of his constituency has issues with. Does this sound like a leader who is capable of making his own decisions and up for hard decisionmaking?

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

Just watched this episode and I must say I felt for Craig a bit -- dude's had a bad couple of (tv) weeks.  

Up until now, I found Shep to be charming,exceptionally well-mannered (when it counts) and overall very likeable, but after this epi he seemed like a snob, too, with his comments like, (and I am paraphrasing because I have a memory like a sieve) "He doesn't have a clue how to behave."  It seemed a li'l "Us and them" to me. 

Just watched this episode and I must say I felt for Craig a bit -- dude's had a bad couple of (tv) weeks.  

Up until now, I found Shep to be charming,exceptionally well-mannered (when it counts) and overall very likeable, but after this epi he seemed like a snob, too, with his comments like, (and I am paraphrasing because I have a memory like a sieve) "He doesn't have a clue how to behave."  It seemed a li'l "Us and them" to me. 

He was harsh but it was in response to the way Craig interrupted Patricia to say something that could have waited and did he use the f-word, like they were going to have a fucking good time or something like that?

If I recall correctly, Patricia was trying to talk to Craig about how to she used to vacation at the Delaware beaches or something, and Craig just blew her off (or at least editing wanted us to see it that way) and turned to Shep and said something like "We're gonna have a fucking blast."