Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Before The Episode

• Start Topic

I usually don't pay attention to these things but this showed up on my Yahoo News feed and mild curiosity made me check it out. I'm not sure who from TV Line wrote this but it is a total WTF to me. I could maybe understand placing Alexa and Carlos so high based on their background, as well as Tamar and obviously Nick. But Andy Grammar in the second place for odds to win is a complete and total "say what now..."

And the author apparently hasn't been paying attention to the reaction to Bindi, to place her this low. And placing that Hayes Grier kid so high because of his 4 million Vine followers - yeah how did that work out for Cody Simpson, Willow Shields (and she was actually good). Bethany did the best to make it 4th and based on skill and all the social media fans she had, she technically should have been higher in my opinion and she wasn't. Full list below.

https://tvline.com/gallery/dancing-with-the-stars-season-21-odds/#!1/louis-van-amstel-pauladeen/

Edited by truthaboutluv

I usually don't pay attention to these things but this showed up on my Yahoo News feed and mild curiosity made me check it out. I'm not sure who from TV Line wrote this but it is a total WTF to me. I could maybe understand placing Alexa and Carlos so high based on their background, as well as Tamar and obviously Nick. But Andy Grammar in the second place for odds to win is a complete and total "say what now..."

And the author apparently hasn't been paying attention to the reaction to Bindi, to place her this low. And placing that Hayes Grier kid so high because of his 4 million Vine followers - yeah how did that work out for Cody Simpson, Willow Shields (and she was actually good). Bethany did the best to make it 4th and based on skill and all the social media fans she had, she technically should have been higher in my opinion and she wasn't. Full list below.

https://tvline.com/gallery/dancing-with-the-stars-season-21-odds/#!1/louis-van-amstel-pauladeen/

I saw that and I agree about the Hayes Grier kid. Teenagers don't normally do well on this show unless they have a parent the older fans of the show are interested in like Sadie Robertson or Bristol Palin. That's why I think Bindi Irwin will do well, plus she has Derek as a partner and his fans vote. Andy Grammer might do well if he can dance. He had a couple of recent hits and sounds like the type of music middle-aged people listen to more than teenagers. 

What they didn't take into account (totally) is that it's basically a popularity contest. Who ever thought Tommy Chong would place as high as he did? Or Bill Engvall? Rumer Willis? (not that these folks didn't have talent but there's also the backstory). The people who are good AND have a good backstory AND have a good demographic voting for them do the best. 

Press Release for the episode is out

“Dancing with the Stars” is back with an all-new celebrity cast ready to hit the ballroom floor. The competition begins with the two-hour season premiere, LIVE, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 14 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. The premiere episode will kick off with the biggest number in DWTS history shot on Hollywood Boulevard. The night continues with each couple dancing a Cha Cha, Foxtrot, Salsa, Quickstep or Jive, vying for America’s vote for the first time. No couples will be eliminated on week 1, and they will all advance to week 2 of the competition.

Each Couple Will Dance to the Following Songs:

Alek Skarlatos & Lindsay Arnold – “Ten Feet Tall” by Afrojack ft. Wrabel
Alexa PenaVega & Mark Ballas – “Whistle (While You Work It)” by Katy Tiz
Andy Grammer & Allison Holker – “Marvin Gaye” by Charlie Puth ft. Meghan Trainor
Bindi Irwin & Derek Hough – “Crocodile Rock” by Elton John
Carlos PenaVega & Witney Carson – “I Got You (I Feel Good)” by James Brown
Chaka Khan & Keo Motsepe – “I Feel For You” by Chaka Khan
Gary Busey & Anna Trebunskaya – “Dancing in the Street” by David Bowie & Mick Jagger
Hayes Grier & Emma Slater – “Cheerleader” by Omi
Kim Zolciak Biermann & Tony Dovolani – “Hey Mama” by David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj, Afrojack & Bebe Rexha
Nick Carter & Sharna Burgess – “I Don’t Like It, I Love It” by Flo. Rida ft. Robin Thicke
Paula Deen & Louis van Amstel – “Hey Good Lookin’ by Carol Welsman
Tamar Braxton & Valentin Chmerkovskiy – “Do Your Thing” by Basement Jaxx
Victor Espinoza & Karina Smirnoff – “G.D.F.R.” by Flo Rida
  • Love 1

Crocodile Rock for Bindi? Reeeeeeeally? Why, she's just gonna be a ray of sunshine for us all, isn't she?

I'll be stunned if she is not a finalist.

I'm kinda glad they're getting it over and done with out of the gate. Otherwise people will keep asking for it, might as well address it and (hopefully) move on.

I'm glad that they're not eliminating anyone first week. It's good that the celebs have more than one dance to make a case for themselves with the audience. Because sure, sometimes it's like with Lolo where everyone immediately sees that she's not a good fit for the show. But last season Redfoo had a terrible first dance and then in the second week he had really improved. He still wasn't great, but you saw a bit  of potential. His bad showing the first week had already done him in and he was booted, whereas with two dances he might have had a fighting chance.

• Love 3

Here is an interview from head producer Rob Wade about Season 21 changes.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-with-the-stars-season-21?

Excerpt:

Here are five other things to expect from Season 21 of Dancing:
1. Results shows are gone... again. Dancing's on-again, off-again relationship with results shows continues. Though the show will air on back-to-back nights some weeks this season, the Tuesday shows will not be results shows, Wade says. This week, the Tuesday episode will be a pre-taped behind-the-scenes look at Monday's premiere. In Week 2, there will be performance shows on both Monday and Tuesday, as well as hometown visits for the celebrities (on Monday) and dancers (on Tuesday).
2. No 10s from Len. After several seasons of pulling double duty between Dancing with the Stars and Strictly Come Dancing, Len Goodman has finally decided to take an entire season off. But, there's a "very, very likely chance" that he'll be back for Season 22 in the spring, according to Wade. "For a man in his 70s, flying back and forth every week from London is pretty exhausting," Wade admits. I understand his position. ... Hopefully, he'll be back in the spring stronger than ever."
Add new fall shows to your Watchlist now!
3. No guest judges. Despite Len's absence behind the judges' table, the show is breaking from tradition this season and opting not to bring in guest judges to take his place. "Julianne [Hough], Carrie Ann [inaba] and Bruno [Tonioli] are a great judging panel, and they've got a lot of experience between them," Wade says. "Sometimes if you have four judges, their comments can repeat themselves. And that's not really entertaining for the viewer."
4. New theme nights. While some theme nights (Most Memorable Year of Your Life) remain set in stone, Wade says he hopes to incorporate new theme nights this year - and throw the dancers off in the process - beginning in about Week 5. "We want to keep the whole season a bit of a surprise for the dancers and the couples," he said. "It's good to put challenges in front of them when they're unsuspecting, because then you get a real reaction to them. ... We have some really nice ideas which should hopefully cause a lot of drama and entertainment and intrigue in that back end of the season." Also, the Switch-Up will likely return, while Judges' Choice will not.
5. A couple of celebrity firsts. The Season 21 cast includes a few celebrity superlatives. At 15, Grier is the youngest male to ever appear on the show, while Carlos and Alexa PenaVega are the first-ever husband-and-wife team to compete. Also, the 5-foot-2 jockey Victor Espinoza is the shortest male dancer in Dancing's history. "How is Karina [smirnoff] going to manage to dance with him?" Wade ponders. "We've had a guy with no arm and no leg, but we've never had a guy who's 5-foot-2."

I'm nervous about these "new" theme nights they are trying out.  If the cast announcement was any indication....these half baked ideas they throw out...without thinking through......it could be a cluster...AGAIN.

Edited by RemoteControl88
  • Love 1

Saw a GMA preview for tonight's premiere with the couples doing last minute rehearsals. Looking really good I thought were Tamar, Bindi and Alexa (Alexa looked like she is going to be bringing fire. Girl looks like she wants to win). Nick looked okay but nothing too amazing. However it was only a few seconds. That said, my friend who was a huge Backstreet fan and is a DWTS fan said some might be expecting too much from him because he was never a natural mover in the group. Hayes Grier looked confused to be honest, Chaka looked like she'll be going for it and having fun and Victor was surprisingly doing his thing. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Saw a GMA preview for tonight's premiere with the couples doing last minute rehearsals. Looking really good I thought were Tamar, Bindi and Alexa (Alexa looked like she is going to be bringing fire. Girl looks like she wants to win). Nick looked okay but nothing too amazing. However it was only a few seconds. That said, my friend who was a huge Backstreet fan and is a DWTS fan said some might be expecting too much from him because he was never a natural mover in the group. Hayes Grier looked confused to be honest, Chaka looked like she'll be going for it and having fun and Victor was surprisingly doing his thing. 

Yeah, I love Nick Carter, but as a fan of both BSB and NSYNC back in the day, the men of NSYNC were better dancers by far.  The men of BSB...well, dancing was not their strong suit.    

I too was a big BSB fan and have no clue why Nick is getting all this early frontrunner buzz. Not only is ballroom completely different than the type of dancing he's done with the group but he was one of the weaker dancers. I think all this pressure is getting to him. That said BSB still has a strong rabid fan base and I fully expect them to vote unless he totally bombs.

• Love 2

Well, I'm livid. I was so looking forward to seeing tonight's premiere, but apparently, it's being pre-empted here in Atlanta because of the Falcons football game. In my 10+ years of watching DWTS, I've never had to deal with a pre-emption before. Not being able to watch live, especially on premiere night, just ruins the whole experience for me, because I like to be able to vote and chat with my mother on the phone about the dances during commercial breaks. I'm going to have to record the 2AM repeat and I won't get to watch until tomorrow night. Such a bummer!

The Falcons are playing the Eagles, so I don't know if there will be a pre-emption in the Philly area as well. I would imagine that losing at least one big market on premiere night will hurt the show's ratings and possibly affect the voting. Oh, and I checked with the ABC site to see if I could live stream the ep tonight, but nope, live streaming is only available in certain areas and Atlanta's not one of them. That makes no sense to me as you would think live streaming would be available in ALL areas. SIGH

I'll miss being able to read everyone's comments about tonight's show. I'll have to check in tomorrow night.

Brainy,

Usually the major stations have a "sister channel" that is used for playing pre-empted shows. You might try to google "ABC Atlanta sister channel" to see if Atlanta ABC has one. I would be livid too, believe me. Hope this works.