Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Before The Episode

• Start Topic

I assume she [bindi] is with Mark. I don't like that lately he seems to be getting a certain "type" of partner.

I'm hoping Sasha was promoted to pro, and will be partnering Bindi. Like many, I'm ready for Mark to be paired with someone older. He does well with the youngsters, but I don't enjoy him having to modify dances into something more age-appropriate. Let someone else do that this season. And I'd love to see Sasha get another shot as pro.

I think Val and Derek are stricter, tougher teachers? Val did well with Zendaya, but IMO Zendaya was unusual in that she came with lots of dance experience and lots of showbiz experience. She was already pretty tough herself. Derek had Bethany, it wasn't ideal, but he did good with her, too. But again, Bethany seemed somewhat more collected and emotionally more mature than Sadie? Sadie IMO for all her bubbly, extroverted persona was a bit fragile. I think Val and Derek would do a good job with Bindi, but perhaps they would need to adjust their teaching, they would need to be more patient than they are used to etc.

I'm a fan, so of course I'm biased, but I think Mark is good at judging how much a celeb can be pushed and when you're risking meltdowns. He's good at de-escalating situations (when he's not feuding with judges LOL). He's goot at teaching non-dancers from scratch. And out of necessity he's become expert at working around various limitations of his partners in his choreographies. But perhaps she'll get someone else. I'm sure all the pros would do their best to accomodate her.

I'd like to see Bindi with Sasha as well, for a couple of different reasons. Mark is stuck in the position where he's done his job a little too well. He's great with the younger celebs, and so he gets more and more of them. I feel like I'll already be able to predict a Bindi/Mark dynamic. There are other gymnasts I'd like to see (and who'll probably be on after the Rio Olympics). and it will get a bit old if Sasha is always paired with gymnasts or former gymnasts/cheerleaders (Snooki). Also, with respect to Bindi, she seems just a bit...pageant-y? I blame her mother, who seemed to push her into more media stuff once her father died, but when I last saw her she was a bit too on, like a child actor who isn't aware enough that she's outgrown her own act.

I like Shay fine, but I think she was Val's dream wish partner a couple of seasons ago and sometimes those live down to expectations. I don't think Shay will be a great dancer out the gate. I don't think Val has ever had an athlete, though. I'm not sure I want his partner to be Bethany, either, though. There will be inevitable comparisons to Amazing Amy Purdy and and that will get old.

Edited by tearbender

Alexa Vega is another name that's floating around. She's tiny and she's very religious. Also seems rather sporty, dabbled in gymnastics etc. So if she's on, she would be a good fit for any of the shorter pros as well. And it would leave TPTB with a dilemma LOL: Which sort of typecasting shall we indulge in? Do we give Mark the teen or the religious one?

Edited by katha

Per the media thread, It looks we'll know Celebrity #2 tonight on ESPN's Sportsnation, (which airs at 6pm Eastern).

6 or 7 hours to go then. While an athlete seems the most likely reveal, there aren't really any corporate tie-ins to logically use this platform to announce Kacy (yes she's an athlete, but ANW is an NBC show) or Bethany Hamilton (who people know most recently from The Amazing Race, a CBS property).

IIRC, a couple of the early, early speculation/gossip articles did say that DWTS was targeting a prominent ex-Major league baseball player. Derek Jeter among a few others jumped immediately to mind...unless it would be an ESPN personality like Michelle Beadle who actually co-hosts Sportsnation.,,

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Per the media thread, It looks we'll know Celebrity #2 tonight on ESPN's Sportsnation, (which airs at 6pm Eastern).

6 or 7 hours to go then. While an athlete seems the most likely reveal, there aren't really any corporate tie-ins to logically use this platform to announce Kacy (yes she's an athlete, but ANW is an NBC show) or Bethany Hamilton (who people know most recently from The Amazing Race, a CBS property).

IIRC, a couple of the early, early speculation/gossip articles did say that DWTS was targeting a prominent ex-Major league baseball player. Derek Jeter among a few others jumped immediately to mind...unless it would be an ESPN personality like Michelle Beadle who actually co-hosts Sportsnation.,,

If they managed to get Derek Jeter, I would totally watch live again.  However, he seems to like to stay out of the spot light, so I can't see him doing this.  I hope I'm wrong though.

If its an ex-major league baseball player?  My money would be on Johnny Damon.  Also, we have a bunch of other ex-Yankees players (Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams) who I could see doing it.

Victor Espinoza triple crown winning jockey.  He's 5'2" so he almost has to be with Witney.  She's the only one tiny enough for him and she's still taller.  This was a way out of left fireld choice.

Doesn't seem that out of left field. He won the Triple Crown this year which is supposed to be like the ultimate prize in race-horse competitions. They've had plenty of people on with far less accomplishments. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

If Nick's really confirmed I hope he gets a pro who can keep him calm. Nick can stress but he can be fun. He's probably the worst dancer of BSB but dance is still apart if BSB so there is that.

If Nick's on the only thing I'm not looking forward to is The Carter clan. They can cause a bunch of trouble.

Edited by tarotx

Why are they having Nick Carter on again? Didn't he already compete with Karina?

If they need a boy bander, I was hoping for JC Chasez.

It was his brother Aaron.

Edited by SiobhanJW

Today's additions to the rumor-sphere include Carlos PenaVega (Alexa's husband). He's an actor and (former?) member of the teen group Big Time Rush. Well DWTS wanted a competitive husband and wife duo all the way back when Ty Murray competed and Jewel had to drop out due to an injury. Speculation is that Witney would partner him as he's only 5'3.

Then you've got Paula Deen. I desperately wanted someone from the Celebrity Culinary world (hello Rachel Ray, Bourdain, Katie Lee, or hell even Guy Fieri). I did not want however for the show to be driven off a racist cliff this season. Hopefully if this rumor is true, she's first to go.

Also hearing Chaka Chan courtesy of sites like PureDWTS and E!. No issues w/ Chaka, wonder who they'd pair her up w/...

• Love 1

If Nick's on the only thing I'm not looking forward to is The Carter clan. They can cause a bunch of trouble.

Tarotx I'm guessing you're a Nick/ BSB fan (as I was back in the day). Any of the Carter clan showing up will be interesting. Especially when Aaron inevitably shows up - there's been a huge competition between the two of them for years. Plus watching Nick concentrating is hilarious. 

• Love 1

I hear you about Paula Deen. Who wants an idiot racist on dwts? I would think they would have better sense than to include her. If she does get on, that would probably explain what they plan to do with Tony. Yuck.

• Love 3

Tarotx I'm guessing you're a Nick/ BSB fan (as I was back in the day). Any of the Carter clan showing up will be interesting. Especially when Aaron inevitably shows up - there's been a huge competition between the two of them for years. Plus watching Nick concentrating is hilarious.

Also, who knows if Nick is speaking to his family right now. There has been a lot of drama recently and I know he has distanced himself from them.

I hear you about Paula Deen. Who wants an idiot racist on dwts? I would think they would have better sense than to include her. If she does get on, that would probably explain what they plan to do with Tony. Yuck.

Well, the show seems to love Julianne Hough, they probably believe the more, the merrier.

This is seriously disgusting.

• Love 3
Mark's new partner is Alexa Vega (whoever she is)

She's the girl spy in Spy Kids. I'm too old for that movie, but I know she's in it. I think her name is now Alexa PenaVega. Her husband and her merged their last names. Maybe I made that up. I refuse to google it. 

I'm getting confused between confirmed and rumored. Who is for real on this season as of tonight?

Edited by BoogieBurns

I think only Bindi, Victor and Nick Carter are "DWTS" official (via the official twitter account among other platforms) as of tonight.

Alexa Vega, her husband Carlos Pena, Paula Deen, and Chaka Khan have been confirmed by various outside sources today. Those four seem to have moved closer to being "unofficially official" than some of the other long speculated names like Shay Mitchell, Kacy Catanzaro, and Kaitlyn the Bachelorette as well as the new names emerging tonight like this social media personality Hayes Grier and Sophia Vergara (per the same article on PureDWTS).

Didn't Sophia Vergara announce her wedding would be on Nov. 22, the day before the finale? I don't know if she could film her show plus plan a big celeb wedding plus do DWTS.   She'd be a pretty huge "get" if they signed her though.

Didn't Sophia Vergara announce her wedding would be on Nov. 22, the day before the finale? I don't know if she could film her show plus plan a big celeb wedding plus do DWTS. She'd be a pretty huge "get" if they signed her though.

Yeah. It's been in the press, over the last few days, that she just sent out her wedding invitations. She's/They're apparently planning on 300 guests, to be held at (I think) the Hotel Breakers in Florida. And it's on/somewhere around the 22nd of November. Unless she's somehow already planning a way to exit the show early, I don't see how she can do DWTS this cycle/season.

Edited by BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe beat me to it in the Media threat, but Kim Zolciak of RHOA and her own irrelevant reality show and singing career (She's also a NFL WAG to boot) is supposedly on this season (per E!) and Entertainment Tonight is also "confirming" Andy Grammer too.

If they are both true (along w/ Paula and Chaka)....that only leaves 2 or 3 open spots to salvage this increasingly sorry looking cast.

• Love 1

BW Manilowe beat me to it in the Media threat, but Kim Zolciak of RHOA and her own irrelevant reality show and singing career (She's also a NFL WAG to boot) is supposedly on this season (per E!) and Entertainment Tonight is also "confirming" Andy Grammer too.

I didn't think there was anyone worse than Paula Deen. I was wrong.

Kim Zolciak. The woman so lazy she has plastic surgery rather than exercise. One can only imagine the skillz she brings to the dance floor -- she's a cigarette smoker and a boozebag. Wonder if DWTS will put in some type of wine vending machine in the practice facility just for her.

I should be celebrating. Despite the fact I really like Chaka Khan's music, I just got my Monday nights back in perpetuity. Or at least until the end of November.

Bachelorette Kaitlyn Bristow is a no for this season.

http://www.eonline.com/news/690210/is-kaitlyn-bristowe-joining-dancing-with-the-stars

"The timing isn't right," our source explains, " but she loves the show and hopes to keep the door open for another season down the road." 

I wonder how long she thinks her 15 minutes of fame will last. She wasn't exactly loved and adored, if The Bachelorette Forum comments are any indication.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 2

The quote is hilarious. I'm sure she knows it's a done deal for her ever being on the show. I mean even she's not that delusional but she's trying to save face I guess. It would be the ultimate slap in the face though if she not only gets passed over but they cast Nick instead. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

The quote is hilarious. I'm sure she knows it's a done deal for her ever being on the show. I mean even she's not that delusional but she's trying to save face I guess. It would be the ultimate slap in the face though if she not only gets passed over but they cast Nick instead. 

She was billed as a "dance instructor" on TB but the little bit we saw of her dancing wasn't too impressive. There was some question on PTV's forum whether her title was super-inflated.  I would not want Nick-too icky for me. Some liked him though.

• Love 1

ocelot, on 27 Aug 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Why is it so offensive to you when the 14 year old is a 14 year old boy as opposed to a 14 year old girl last year (Willow)? What is the difference there?

It's funny to come here and see people sad about the celebrities when I think this season has the biggest celebrities I've ever seen on this show. Ages differences I guess.

Edit: also vines are not 6 seconds they're 8 seconds

Hi Ocelot,

I think you might be replying to my post about Hayes Grier. (Sorry, I can't seem to find your original post.)  Just to clarify, I know nothing about Hayes except he's got a lot of fans who apparently enjoy the vine videos he tweets or posts elsewhere in social media.  He is certainly not offensive to me, as far as what I know of him so far. 

I do have an issue with kids under 18 (male or female) performing on this show.  A lot of the dances have sexy, suggestive moves that I don't want to see kids doing with adults.  All the pros are adults.  Two 14 year olds performing most (not all) of the dance styles, no problem. A 14 year old doing "sexy" dances with an adult, is...just...well, just something I don't want to see.  Mark did an amazing job choreographing for Willow (actually, I'll include Sadie,17, in this too). For many dances, he opted for high production or humor, keeping the flavor of the dance style even if he had to sacrifice actual techniques.  Mark also took a lot of criticism for "too much production".  He also had to work under a lot of restraints, like Mom/Grandma vetos (Sadie), Dad interruptions for "snack time" (Willow), not to mention all the child labor laws that had to be observed.  I do not like this pattern that might be developing of bringing in youngsters.  That's not what this show is.  If ABC wants a kids dance show, then great! Have a kids show.  But I really don't want kids on DWTS, regardless of how mature they might seem.

Oh, and I stand corrected about vine videos being 8-seconds, not 6-seconds. I was just going by Wikipedia. I've never made vines myself, so I didn't know.

Edited: I see from Tarotx, Hayes is now 15, not 14.

Thanks for your post :) I agree, I wish they wouldn't put 14/15 year olds on the show, male or female.

And my post got deleted because it was argumentative I guess....... 

She was 18 when she started, same age as Julianne was. 

Really? So did they take her on the very next season after she was off SYTYCD?

I don't think they even asked Kaitlyn to be on. She ruined any chances she had by breaking the rules countless times during her season and spoiling the ending herself. Nick on the other hand has been playing ball with TPTB and is even friends with Julie Berry, whose a producer for DWTS. US Weekly also reported that according to sources he's met up with the DWTS producers and today Allison and Nick both favorited a tweet saying they need to be partners.

This was the tweet favorited by Nick and Alison:

@AlliFranckewitz: @viallnicholas28 and @Allisonholker NEED to be together on dwts this season ❤️ #teamnallison

I kind of feel like this is pretty much a confirmation.  I can't imagine Alison still doesn't know her celebrity yet (though possible as there have been some really last minute celebrity casting) and I don't see her favoriting something like that so close to the announcement unless it's because it's true. 

As much as I liked Nick on The Bachelorette, I wasn't particularly looking forward to him being on DWTS or hell even thinking that would be a possiblity. But I cannot lie, knowing they basically passed over Kaitlyn who was practically campaigning for it with her equally douchey fiance in favor of Nick, tickles me greatly (and I'm still laughing about the "timing wasn't right" bullshit. Like woman is unemployed - what timing issue). Of course being paired with Alison means Nick will likely totally suck but oh well.

Edited by truthaboutluv

What I don't get is that apparently both Candace and Alfonso wanted to be on the show for years before they actually were. I don't buy that they can't find any other former stars to sign besides Bachelor runner-ups. I know they follow a certain formula but sometimes I'm left scratching my head.

Just noticed that Alison did favorite some stuff about her and the Grier kid being a good pairing so maybe she just likes favoriting anything that mentions her being paired with someone and it means nothing. Except of course the Grier kid has been confirmed for the cast. 

I don't buy that they can't find any other former stars to sign besides Bachelor runner-ups.

My guess is it's probably for cross promotion purposes since the Bachelor shows are another ABC show. And honestly, I'm surprised at how little they've gone to that well. It really hasn't been that many. They almost never cast the Bachelorette leads. Trista, the first Bachelorette was cast but that was the show's first season where you know, they probably had a hard time getting anyone to sign on. And then Melissa Rycroft was a Bachelor contestant who was a last minute replacement when Nancy O'Dell injured herself days before the premiere.

It's mostly been the Bachelor leads and it's only been three - Sean, Jake and Chris S. That's five people in 20 seasons of this show. My guess is, if the Nick rumor is true, they weren't initially going to cast anyone from this hot mess of a Bachelorette season but Nick is considered "controversial" (I don't think he is) and so they figured he'd be more interesting. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Oh please please please TPTB cast Nick!!! The irony of passing over unemployed "dance instructor" (#giantgrainofsalt) Kaitlyn Bristowe for him would be soooo delicious. I wouldn't have watched him as the Bachelor but I promise to not miss one minute in DWTS if he is in the lineup. Put all the other bachelors in the audience every week and I will be in heaven.

• Love 2

I don't think young teens have enough emotional stability to be on a show with this much intensity and work involved, even if they are showbiz kids. It's too much pressure. Hey, it's hard enough for the adults to keep up! 

Bindi Irwin seems to be mature, so we'll see. But 14-15 is too young. 

None of the names are ringing my bell at the moment. At least Nick Carter is a good showman. He may be fun to watch. 

• Love 1

Is Peta rumored to be with Carlos Pena? Emma may last 2-3 weeks with the Hayes kid especially if he has some decent skills, which is better than being eliminated first. 

Peta is rumoured to be with Andy Grammer (if he's on, but the leaks so far have proven to be all correct...). Witney is rumoured to be with Carlos. Both her and Mark were photographed the last two days at rehearsals, the moment Alexa and Carlos started (official) rehearsals as well. Bindi is supposedly with Derek.

While I adore any diss of that godawful Bachelorette, it's still not worth having to endure Nick's smug chipmunk face week after week. Pass!

I doubt he'd last very long anyway, especially with Allison. Just a week or two of Kaitlyn and Shawn throwing things at the TV would be okay, right? I can dream.