Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Before The Episode

• Start Topic

Add Kacy Catanzaro (from American Ninja Warrior) to the speculation list for a 2nd season. Apparently she and Sasha Farber have started tweeting each other over the last couple days...

Seems one season late given her disappointing performance on this season of ANW...but she certainly would bring some athletic credentials to the ballroom.

She's also Emmy-nominated and brings in a decent fanbase of her own. I don't like it, but she's here to stay.

Which is really too bad.  I tried watching SYTYCD and was bored stiff so I really don't see the big need to bring any of those dancers over unless they are ballroom dancers.  And Allison just grates.

• Love 1

I wouldn't mind Kacy Catanzaro. She seemed fun on ANW, and gymnasts are either hit or miss on DWTS. And if she's short enough to get Sasha back full time ... I'll go along with that idea.

• Love 1

Mark, Allison, and Val all seem to be pretty happy on Twitter. I assume they like their partners.

Brittany Cherry said she is not returning to DWTS. After her stint on the tour, I thought she'd return, even just in the troupe. Sucks.

Leah Remini's IG post about how her family would be upset if Tony is not on that he re-grammed makes me wonder if he's out this season or hasn't heard anything yet. Or could be nothing. It's about time for him to have a break so it shouldn't be a surprise if he's done. I just hope Artem isn't the now default for older ladies as I would like to see him with someone younger and capable.

Also heard Bethany Hamilton- pro surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack.

Allison Baver- Olympic speed skated/model- She is gorgeous, started following Artem

Jodie Sweetin- played Stephanie (middle daughter) on Full House and now in new fall show Fuller House.  Started following Val.

I've noticed that Shay Mitchell and Vall are following each other on twitter. I don't know if it's from Janel's time on the show but I would assume that DWTS wouldn't give Val another girl from the same show. 

Brittany Cherry said she is not returning to DWTS. After her stint on the tour, I thought she'd return, even just in the troupe. Sucks.

I wonder if they're reducing the troupe after expanding it for last season. If that's the case, then a male trouper would be out the door as well. 

I wonder if they're reducing the troupe after expanding it for last season. If that's the case, then a male trouper would be out the door as well.

If the rumors are true about Henry's difficulties last season and him distancing himself from DWTS a bit, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out.

If the rumors are true about Henry's difficulties last season and him distancing himself from DWTS a bit, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out.

I suspect rumors about Henry's difficulties might have been a wee bit blown out of proportion by another group on a blog site that shall remain nameless.  Henry's been everyone's go-to guy since he started with the troupe. 

(Edited to remove the part referencing a video I posted + deleted. Again, sorry!)

Edited by Uke

Well, I guess it was wishful thinking on my part because I don't care for Henry, lol. I hope they have some interesting celebs because I was kind of hoping for some more pro shake-up (good shake-up).

I've noticed that Shay Mitchell and Vall are following each other on twitter. I don't know if it's from Janel's time on the show but I would assume that DWTS wouldn't give Val another girl from the same show. 

Shay was never at the taping when janel was on so she had NO connection to Val so I'm assuming he is her new partner :)

Shay was never at the taping when janel was on so she had NO connection to Val so I'm assuming he is her new partner :)

Interesting, I guess we'll find out during the reveal. Val is my favorite pro. I was not a fan of Janel (dancing or personality) however, so I guess we'll see how this partnership goes.

Derek's criticism is that he gets a certain "type" of partner, it'll be interesting to see if Val starts to get the same criticism. 

• Love 1

I think Shay and Val have actually been following each other for some time, definitely even before last season. Not that I'm saying she won't be on and be paired with him. But they've been following each other on Instagram and Twitter for awhile. In fact it was rumored that Val expressed interest in her being on the show when asked in some interview about his dream partner, before they later cast Janel.

Some figured Shay didn't want to do it which is why they went with Janel. Considering I've read they've been all flirty on social media with Val expressing how gorgeous she is, if she is cast and he is paired with her, let's all get ready for showmance #3

Derek's criticism is that he gets a certain "type" of partner, it'll be interesting to see if Val starts to get the same criticism.

Nah, that only happens when you've won 5 times. As I noted above, I'm just looking forward to poor Mark getting a partner who can vote.

Edited by truthaboutluv

The names being mentioned most by Kristyn Burtt and DWTSGossip (both keep up with rumors and Twitter follows) are:

Kaitlyn Bristowe

Allison Baver: former Olympic speed skater who dated Apolo Ohno back in their day. She and Artem now follow

each other on Twitter

Jodie Sweetin: from Full House. She and Val follow each other

Nick Carter: Looks like he is pretty certain from all the tweets I see. Most think he is paired with Sharna. Sharna is evidently

"over the moon" about her partner.

Andy Grammer: was guest singer during Sasha's and Nastia's "Subway Charleston"

Shay Mitchell: She posted a photo of her feet stepping out of a limo at the DWTS Photo Shoot captioned, "Stay Tuned." She

has been considered as being "certain" for weeks by the rumormongers.

Bethany Hamilton: She is 5' 10" tall which has caused some to guess that either Tony or Keo will be back. Is there another

tall Pro besides these two? They could always be introducing a new Pro. How tall is Henry?

Scott Disick: If true, I hope he'll be the first to go. This show is in love with the Kardashian family and I've never watched a

single episode of that show. The news about them is more than I want to know.

Kacy Catanzaro: She and Sasha follow each other and she is 5' tall. They've tweeted, KC: "I can't dance" SF:"That's ok, you

teach me to flip, I'll teach you to dance." She also follows Derek and DerekHoughNews. Both

Nastia and Amy Purdy started following her on the same day. She has replied to a number of

fan questions and includes @DancingABC every time. Seems in to me.

Evidently the Twitter followings must have some meaning because the gossip/news people post it every year and have been right about some of their guesses.

Hayley Erbert of Season 10, SYTYCD was dancing with the troupe during the GMA Pro announcement. Since Brittany C is leaving troupe, some think Hayley will replace her. Evidently she is not a ballroom dancer and quite a few people are prattling about another Allison type joining the show.

NOTE: All of the above came from GOSSIP sources on Twitter.

• Love 1

Jodie Sweetin has already debunked the rumors that she'll be on. One of the moderators for PureDWTS was at some event Jodie was at and asked her point blank and she said no, that she'd love to do it, but right now she's too busy with filming for Fuller House. She did say she would love to dance with Val and has been in touch with the brothers, so I'm guessing that's why she follows Val. 

Alison Baver is interesting because she was the one who publicly talked about basically being shoved to the background during Apolo's season because the show and Apolo and Julianne themselves wanted to feed the showmance rumors about them. Will be interesting with Julianne now a judge on the show.

I feel like Kaitlyn Bristowe is being mentioned just because people always think the Bachelor/ette leads are a possibility. However the show has rarely had the Bachelorette leads on and I hope the trend continues. Kaitlyn is obnoxious and I don't want her and her ickiness anywhere near any of the male Pros. That said, she's definitely interested. She's all but been campaigning on her social media for it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I'm starting to think at least a couple of these females being speculated about might be red herrings. Either that or they have the six or seven females (Alison the speedskater, Kacy, Jodi, Shay, Bethany Hamilton, 1 or 2 tbd) pretty much locked down..and their male counterparts have been much harder to cast this cycle, which is why Nick Carter, Scott Disick and to a lesser extent Ricky Schroeder have been the only 3 names really out into the ether...

FWIW, one source yesterday had Jodi Sweetin state that she's passing on S21 due to Fuller House responsibilities...but she still wants to compete down the line...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Not for nothing, but I will be annoyed if Kacy is on and Sasha is not her partner. There very rarely seem to be women short enough to dance with him as pro and the guy deserves another chance.

• Love 2

Last season they kept a pretty good lid on the cast. Barely anyone had been guessed before the announcement, and there were all sorts of other names floating around beforehand. Perhaps it's like that again, that they're deliberately floating red herrings to keep fans from guessing the actual celebs?

If Shay's in, I'd like to see her with Mark or Artem. Having her with Val would be as boring as if they ended up pairing another gymnast with Derek. (Kacy better be with Sasha.) Giving Mark someone who's old enough to drive would be a good change these days.

Of those rumored I'd like to see Bethany with Val - it'd be a change for him, someone who might more predictably end up with Derek, who likes a choreographic challenge.

I could not agree more about Kaitlyn Bristowe. ABC does like cross-advertising which makes me think it's within the realm of the thinkable. To me, she's as unpalatable as a Kardashian.

Buggin, I think Sasha would be a great partner for Kacy too, due to height and personality. They are both fun & would make a very appealing pair. He deserves another chance and I would love for him to have it. The only reason I added the info about her following the Houghs is the possibility she may have requested Derek. I doubt it. I think she will be Sasha's partner based on their tweets alone.

I saw the Jodie Sweetin news. In view of Val's tweet about his being "a lucky s.o.b" I wonder if he may have gotten Shay M as a partner.

The little morsel about Allison Baver is fascinating. Did Julianne date Artem at one time? After Lea Thompson's being voted off, she said no one ever mentioned the fact that her partner had dated two of the judges. I knew about the CAI relationship with Artem but JH was news to me. I did some sleuthing but never found any information about it.

A tweet from one of the four Pros commented about Artem/Allison, Nick/Sharna, Shay/Val and one other relationship but can't remember which, with the question: "top four?" All fun to think about but it's all speculation.

I don't really know what a nae nae is, but it is so unflattering on the women in the new commercials. I hope they pick a prettier dance craze next time.

Here is a video of girls doing the nae nae. 

I'm a teacher (7th and 8th grade) in NYC and have seen the nae nae for about 2 years now. I would say that the female pros are very good at ballroom dancing lol.  

Edited by PTVjones

I don't really know what a nae nae is, but it is so unflattering on the women in the new commercials. I hope they pick a prettier dance craze next time.

A Nene (pronounced nay-nay) is the Hawaiian Goose if that helps any.

I would love a little mix up in the couple assignments, but I'm pretty sure Shay would have mandated Val since she's mentioned it many times before. If she didn't, I'd love for Val to get a non-actress.

I really hope Mark gets someone in his age group and that Artem and Keo (I like Keo and hope he's back) get stronger partners this time.

If Kacy is on, I really hope they keep her away from Derek. I unfairly get annoyed at Derek at times, but Kacy and her boyfriend annoy me to no end on ninja warrior in interviews. I actually like Derek well enough, but that pairing would be too much for me.

I hope Emma, Sharna, and Witney get strong, likeable partners. If Scott Disick is on, he can stay away from those three.

I would love a little mix up in the couple assignments, but I'm pretty sure Shay would have mandated Val since she's mentioned it many times before. If she didn't, I'd love for Val to get a non-actress.

I really hope Mark gets someone in his age group and that Artem and Keo (I like Keo and hope he's back) get stronger partners this time.

I for one would love to see Val with another type of partner. How much say does a celebrity have over which partner they get, bc I'm sure the majority would request to have Derek, Mark, or Val. For example, I think Patti Labelle (even though Artem did a fantastic job) would have been great with Val. 

I think the last person that Mark partnered with that his age and generally considered sexy/attractive was Christina Milian. Great dancer but her personality was a dud. I'd like to see Mark do a traditional Rhumba or Argentine Tango with someone his age that's not a pro since we rarely see it. 

After Lea Thompson's being voted off, she said no one ever mentioned the fact that her partner had dated two of the judges

Besides Carrie Ann, I read somewhere that Artem had dated Jessie J in the UK. She was a guest judge during Lea's season.

Besides Carrie Ann, I read somewhere that Artem had dated Jessie J in the UK. She was a guest judge during Lea's season.

I've followed Artem pretty closely since he joined Strictly in 2010 and never heard a whiff of a rumor about him and Jesse J. I feel sure the British tabloids would have made a meal out of it if there had been something between them, given he was in a relationship with his 2010 partner the whole time he was in the UK. Can you remember where you read it? I'm intrigued!

He was pretty anonymous in the U.S. for his first season, so anything's possible then, though I don't see him with Jesse somehow. Maybe he and Julianne went for drinks or something fairly innocuous?

Edited by ceebee

Interesting choice. I think I approve. Definitely Mark fodder, but I think she'll be fun. Man, do I feel OLD now, though. My college roommates and I were obsessed with Croc Hunter for awhile, and she was just a baby back then!

• Love 1

Yeah the minute I saw this and I think she's only 17, I thought, "so much for Mark getting someone who can vote." Her announcement actually made me think of the rumors and speculation and wonder if its way off because she's a name I don't think anyone was even thinking about much less speculating about. 

• Love 1

Yeah the minute I saw this and I think she's only 17, I thought, "so much for Mark getting someone who can vote." Her announcement actually made me think of the rumors and speculation and wonder if its way off because she's a name I don't think anyone was even thinking about much less speculating about. 

I do suspect that TPTB are circling false rumours to mislead people. Last season a lot of celeb names that were floating around beforehand didn't materialize and the actual cast was rather surprising. Now Irwin, whom no one was talking about at all. Makes you question how viable all the other speculation is.

I would say "they can't possibly give Mark 3 teens in a row". But...they are nothing if not ridiculously predictable and many pros get a certain type again and again once they've proven that they do well with that sort of celeb. So it's not unlikely. She is small enough for Sasha, if Sasha is a pro. So who knows. Personally I would love Mark to have someone his own age, or someone like Danica, Lea etc. Where he can do other things and not always the careful, edited kid versions of every dance. He does great with the young ones, but a bit of variety perhaps?

Edited by katha

I kind of like them announcing just one star at a time. Prolonging the suspense a bit is kind of fun as opposed to dashing all our hopes at once. hehehe

Any word on when they are going to announce the pairings? I assume after all the stars have been announced they may do a group reveal of the pairs?

I don't really follow the pros, so has Golden Boy said for sure that he's doing this season, or are they going to drag it out like they have the past few seasons? That particular plot device makes me stabby and has more than run its course.

I've followed Artem pretty closely since he joined Strictly in 2010 and never heard a whiff of a rumor about him and Jesse J. I feel sure the British tabloids would have made a meal out of it if there had been something between them, given he was in a relationship with his 2010 partner the whole time he was in the UK. Can you remember where you read it? I'm intrigued!

He was pretty anonymous in the U.S. for his first season, so anything's possible then, though I don't see him with Jesse somehow. Maybe he and Julianne went for drinks or something fairly innocuous?

I think the point of the original post got lost somewhere.  I think truthaboutluv was saying that Alison Baver (who was dating Apolo at the time) got pushed away so that Apolo/Julianne/producers could play up a showmance between Apolo/Julianne.  Now, if Alison is on S21, she'll be judged by Julianne, which would be an awkward coincidence. (I don't know how Artem got looped into this).

Except Allison didn't get pushed away for purposes of a showmance. Apolo is so notoriously private that in the years dating Allison, he never acknowledged their romantic relationship. This also covers his pre-DWTS days. Not sure how Artem got looped into the convo either, but I guess it doesn't matter because I'll be shocked if she's actually a season 21 contestant.

Edited by Mbeaker

I'm happy that this was a name that no one thought of or that I hadn't read. It gives me hope that the names that were floating around were fake because honestly there was no one I was that excited about(except for maybe the rumor of Shay Mitchell)  I assume she is with Mark. I don't like that lately he seems to be getting a certain "type" of partner. Either the teens or the conservative type, but I wonder if it's due to his temperament. For some reason I feel like he's the only pro who could work well with them. Granted, Val did well with Zendeya but I wouldn't want a teen with Derek. I just feel like it wouldn't mesh well.

Bindi seems like a super nice girl and I'll be happy to see her on the show.  Since she's only 5'1, I'd expect her to go to Sasha but since she's only 17 (given how the casting dept. likes to typecast), I'd expect she'll go to Mark.  Now, if the rumors about Kacy the American Ninja/gymnast lady are true (4'11), that kind of mixes things up.   It would be logical to assume that Kacy (the shortest) would go to Sasha and Bindi (the youngest) would go to Mark.  But I hear Kacy's pretty popular (in a good way) on a current network show so I'm not sure they'd "gift" Sasha like that.  Kacy has been following Derek for a bit. I could see them giving Kacy to Derek. But would they give the kid to Sasha? Not sure.  Then again, we don't know if Sasha is a competing pro this season.