Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Before The Episode

• Start Topic

(edited)

This is my first post and I wasn't sure where to put this topic.

I started watching this show in S17 but I feel like something is "off" this season. I've been reading some of the comments here and several others have echoed similar sentiments. I guess I still miss people like Alfonso, Tommy, Sadie, Nene, Bill, Leah, etc; most of this current cast comes across as dull and charmless by comparison. I feel over this season and want to look forward to September.

Here is my wish list of suggestions/improvements for season 21: 

1. Give Tony and Artem partners around their own age. Suzanne felt like Betsey Redux. Don't pigeonhole the pros into "boxes" in terms of partners.
  2. Give Mark and Val partners over 50 (hasn't happened yet for both). Again, Willow was too similar to Sadie. Give them old legends like Raquel Welch and Roseanne Barr.
  3. Give Sasha, Henry, and Lindsay second seasons as pros. 17 seasons in troupe between the three of them - that's a long time. If Keo/Artem/Allison got second chances, then so should them.    
  4. Derek should take a season off or retire altogether. I'm tired of all the discussions and analysis surrounding him.    
  5. NO FOURTH JUDGE! Three is enough (I'm assuming Len is done with fall cycles, if not the spring too). Carrie Ann should be fired and replaced with Anna, Karina or Louis, but I think we're stuck with her forever.
  6. The Packages have become too long and elaborately produced and edited. This isn't an SNL Digital Short. Stop with the outdoor "skits" so we can have more time for actual dancing. This really started when Rob Wade replaced Conrad Green  last fall.
  7. With each passing season it feels like the troupe is in more and more of the routines. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this.  
  8. With Kym returning to Australia to judge, it's really the end of an era for female pros. It's going to be very strange without Cheryl, Karina, and Kym.
  9. GET BIGGER STARS! This season we had Patti, Suzanne, and...crickets. Whereas S18 had Billy Dee, Candace, Danica, Drew, Nene; S17 had both Bill's, Valerie, Amber, Leah, Elizabeth, arguably Snooki.

I'm sorry this post is so long. What does everyone think? What's your Wish List for 21? 

Edited by fpbl83
  • Love 2
(edited)

This is my first post and I wasn't sure where to put this topic.

I started watching this show in S17 but I feel like something is "off" this season. I've been reading some of the comments here and several others have echoed similar sentiments. I guess I still miss people like Alfonso, Tommy, Sadie, Nene, Bill, Leah, etc; most of this current cast comes across as dull and charmless by comparison. I feel over this season and want to look forward to September.

Here is my wish list of suggestions/improvements for season 21:

• Give Tony and Artem partners around their own age. Suzanne felt like Betsey Redux. Don't pigeonhole the pros into "boxes" in terms of partners.
  • Give Mark and Val partners over 50 (hasn't happened yet for both). Again, Willow was too similar to Sadie. Give them old legends like Raquel Welch and Roseanne Barr.
  • Give Sasha, Henry, and Lindsay second seasons as pros. 17 seasons in troupe between the three of them - that's a long time. If Keo/Artem/Allison got second chances, then so should them.
  • Derek should take a season off or retire altogether. I'm tired of all the discussions and analysis surrounding him.
  • NO FOURTH JUDGE! Three is enough (I'm assuming Len is done with fall cycles, if not the spring too). Carrie Ann should be fired and replaced with Anna, Karina or Louis, but I think we're stuck with her forever.
  • The Packages have become too long and elaborately produced and edited. This isn't an SNL Digital Short. Stop with the outdoor "skits" so we can have more time for actual dancing. This really started when Rob Wade replaced Conrad Green last fall.
  • With each passing season it feels like the troupe is in more and more of the routines. Don't know if anyone else has noticed this.
  • With Kym returning to Australia to judge, it's really the end of an era for female pros. It's going to be very strange without Cheryl, Karina, and Kym.
  • GET BIGGER STARS! This season we had Patti, Suzanne, and...crickets. Whereas S18 had Billy Dee, Candace, Danica, Drew, Nene; S17 had both Bill's, Valerie, Amber, Leah, Elizabeth, arguably Snooki.
I'm sorry this post is so long. What does everyone think? What's your Wish List for 21?

I doubt you'd get Roseanne on the show--especially now, if you ever would've. She announced, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, she's going blind due to macular degeneration & glaucoma (she's going blind slowly, but still...).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roseanne-barr-blind-actress-reveals-790317

I also doubt you'd get Raquel Welch on the show. Unless she needed the work/money (which I doubt... The money, I mean), she *really* wanted to learn to dance, or she wanted to go "slumming" professionally. She is a "legend" after all. You said it yourself.

OK... Way back, they had George Hamilton on, & he's also somewhat "legendary". But he can/could also be somewhat of a fame whore as well, which may account for his doing the show (unless he needed the money).

Edited by BW Manilowe

Go back to having ballroom dances - no Jazz, no Broadway, no Burlesque, no Contemporary, just ballroom .... and if you need to add dances, add social dances like Lindy Hop, Disco, and Swing.

I also like having several contestants dance the same dance each week (remember when the men would all do the same ballroom dance and the woman the same Latin dance and they'd switch dances the next week?) .... it makes it easier to compare the contestants.  If you don't want to feature only two dances a week, then have four dances a week.

I'd like to see the return of the pro dance numbers.  I liked when Head Judge Len would explain one or two specific moves he wanted to see in a Rumba, Tango, or whatever and then a pro pair would demonstrate the movement.

Four judges is too many - three is the right balance; get rid of the current scoring system since the judges don't use paddles one through five anyway .... have a double score - one score (one through five) for performance and a second score (one through five for technical) ..... I think this will balance out the scoring (unlike having Noah score higher than Rumer because of his "performance" and "inspiration").

Also, get better music - I don't mind use current songs for the dances, just make sure they have the right tempo.  I think some of the reasons Rumer always looks frantic and hard (apart from Val's personal choreography style) is the music sometimes forces that pace.

And powers-that-be STOP with the very, very obvious manipulations.

• Love 5

First and foremost, NO DEREK or anyone else who is related to him.  That includes booting Julianne as a judge.

Please get Karina back!  We need a veteran female pro who wows on the dance floor, especially if we are losing Kym again.

ITA on going back to real ballroom.  Get rid of Contemporary (and Allison with it), Jazz and any of the other odd dances that gives the pro license to get out there and do whatever they want.

• Love 5
(edited)
Go back to having ballroom dances - no Jazz, no Broadway, no Burlesque, no Contemporary, just ballroom .... and if you need to add dances, add social dances like Lindy Hop, Disco, and Swing.

I would love this so much.  

How does it work on Strictly?  Have they added in non-ballroom dances?

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 2
no Jazz, no Broadway, no Burlesque, no Contemporary

Burlesque never needs to make a reappearance, but I don't mind if they get to do 1 of the other three in a season. I really liked Janel's West Side Story. It would be a shame to miss the good ones like that.

• Love 1

Burlesque never needs to make a reappearance, but I don't mind if they get to do 1 of the other three in a season. I really liked Janel's West Side Story. It would be a shame to miss the good ones like that.

Something like that could be done as a freestyle.  It was too much of a production number IMO.  

They really need to drop the constant use of the troupe.  It can get distracting.

• Love 2

1. No Derek, for the love of God. Replace him with Gleb or Sasha.

2. No Carrie Ann. Replace her with Anna.

3. LACEY. BRING BACK LACEY.

4. Please don't rehash the spring break theme; keep Disney night, maybe keep most memorable year as long as the sob stories don't feel exploitative, but everything else goes.

5. I like contemporary dances, but I'd do away with jazz routines. No jazz routine I've seen thus far has actually been a jazz routine. They've been a mishmash of hip hop and contemporary. And I agree with there being no Bollywood, no Broadway, and certainly no Burlesque. I only want to see that stuff in freestyles, because that's what builds my anticipation for the freestyles -- knowing I won't be seeing something I've already seen, i.e. Janel's freestyle from last season.

6. No guest judges. Almost every guest judge has been superfluous.

7. Stop telling couples they're in jeopardy seconds before they dance.

• Love 3

My wish is that they would give everyone two weeks before the first elimination so we could get to know the stars a little before they start falling by the wayside.  Add a double elimination later in the season, or make the first one a double elim, but give everyone a chance to hear some criticism and see what they do with it before they send anyone home.

Bruno can stay--he's a parody of himself, but I love him.  Cougar Carrie Ann gets on my nerves.  I want Len to stay forever, but Julianne can stay or go as the show pleases.

I miss Maks.  I would like to miss Derek.

• Love 6

I can deal with Contemporary but no more Jazz. It's too vague and it leaves the freestyle feeling as a non-event because Jazz is essentially a freestyle.

I do miss the days when everyone who made the finals did every ballroom/Latin style available. Nowadays the winner even leaves 2 or 3 styles they never got to do.

• Love 3

That could be a freestyle dance .....I think the reason I have been so underwhelmed by the freestyles of the last several years is because the influx of jazz, Broadway, and contemporary (plus the inclusion of the troupe in most numbers) is that every week feels like freestyle week. 

• Love 4
(edited)

That could be a freestyle dance .....I think the reason I have been so underwhelmed by the freestyles of the last several years is because the influx of jazz, Broadway, and contemporary (plus the inclusion of the troupe in most numbers) is that every week feels like freestyle week. 

I agree with the Broadway, Contemporary, Jazz, Hip Hop etc etc could be a contestant's freestyle.  I don't think it was broken to have everyone do Ballroom dances throughout the season and save the production numbers for pro dances, especially with the return of the results show.  I like the return to classic dancing that Val and Rumer did this week, highly entertaining and we really get to see how they progress as ballroom dancers. We don't need to know that some dance at a different level in other styles Riker.  Moreover with these production numbers as competitive dances the judges judge the spectacle not the dancing. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 1
(edited)

There are so many things I would love to chance about this show, starting with the judges. I don't mind four judges, but either get Carrie Ann and Bruno under control, or replace them. I've grown to appreciate Julianne as she and Len are the only who offer any kind of actual critique. Carrie Ann and Bruno judge on what makes them horny, or how much they've been drinking.

Use the troupe for bumpers and pro dances only. I would also like to see use of elaborate sets and props come to and end. Small props would be OK. I just feel like this huge production number take away from the freestyle.

Get rid of contemporary, jazz and whatever else. If they want to add new dances, bring back the mambo, swing, lindy hop, two-step. Or add some of the Latin dances like merengue, bolero or lambada.

I would like to see them go back to the format of having half the cast do a ballroom dance and the other half do a Latin dance.

Go back to announcing the couples as they walk down the stairs.

Mainly, I would just like to see the show go back to its roots.

ETA, theme nights. Two or three per season, and not most memorable night.  Do an era night, I think it would be fun to do a 40's night and have everyone doing the jive and jitterbug to actual music from the 1940's, or do movie night or classical night, but nothing ridiculous like Spring break.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 5

Go back to announcing the couples as they walk down the stairs.

Dang. I didn't realize how much I miss that until now.

Also, I'd recommend bringing back the guy that introduces the dance before the routine -- e.g. "Dancing the waltz, Zendaya and her partner Valentin Chmerkoviskiy." I have very vivid memories of the time I didn't know what the hell kind of dance style Val/Rumer's jazz was until it was explicitly referred to in the judges' comments. 

• Love 4

I only have 3 wishes

First and foremost, I know that some people are dead set against this but after the caliber of the last 5 seasons or so, I'd love to see an All Stars pt. 2. I'd love to see people like Rumer, Zendaya, Alfonso, Amber Riley etc. compete against each other, especially if they brought back more classic pros like Anna and Karina

There are a few troupe members that deserve a shot at being pro, I'm personally rooting for Sasha, Henry, and Jenna. 

Though I really have nothing negative to say about any of the female pros, I like them all for different reasons, they all sure do look the same with Sharna as a fire-red exception. Otlile Mabuse is one of Keo's old partners from South Africa for example.

(edited)

I'd be game for an All-Stars part 2. I know people hate that season, but it was more of a big party for me. I didn't really hate any celeb (even though Bristol was there) and I found myself caring about all of them. Drew Lachey wasn't the best dancer of the bunch, but you can bet I was sad when he went out so early.

Things I'll never get:

1. A: more ballroom, less other crap. I don't mind big, showy numbers, but there used to be a time where that was possible without giant sets and 40 extra dancers.

B: lose the troupe from the competition dances

2. more ballroom, less contemporary/jazz/freestyle/not-ballroom crap. make the couples dance the same(ish) dances ... no more of this "Noah never did a cha cha/quickstep/jive" stuff.

3. calm the judges down. Bruno has become a caricature of the judge he used to be. (new judges? useful judges? Anna? Louis? I nominate you.)

... actually, that might be all it takes to make me really interested again. I could ask for more, but I don't want to be too needy at this point.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 4

• No more in-house band.  Just remix as you need from the original composition.

A Tom and Erin freestyle dance of at least two-minutes duration

Nobody under the age of 18

Nobody over the age of 45

Ensure that each couple is made to perform the same style as all others within a fortnight.  One week, 1/2 would do say, a Foxtrot and the other half would do a Viennese Waltz.  Then, they switch out.  TPTB used to be very good in seeing to it that all couples performed the same range of ballroom.

Demand adherence to each style by mandating a minimum number of certain elements.  For each mandatory element missed, deduct one point from each jidge's score.  Have a fourth, off-camera, hardass jidge make these assessments.

Have Kristi Yamaguchi create/narrate packages with specifics as to the stages of development typical for a given star.  

• Love 1
(edited)

The addition of the troupe and props with all the huge sets and the addition of jazz and contemporary is what made, for me at least, get so "eh" about the freestyles. That was the one dance where other dancers, props, other styles, could come into play and now we see it almost every week that the freestyle become just another dance.

Bring back the "Dancing the Waltz......" guy because there are so many people now since the axed that in season 19 that go "wait, what style is this supposed to be?"

I'm all for another All Stars. Except this time, bring in less champions and more of the 2nd-5th placers. To me, as fun as it was to watch all the great dancing, it was like "why is have the cast former winners?

I made a All Stars 2 wish list:

Females:
1. Mel B (season 5) *2nd
Maks Chmerkovskiey
2. Kristi Yamaguchi (season 6) *1st
Sasha Farber
3. Stacy Keibler (season 2) *3rd
Tony Dovolani
4. Mya (season 9) *2nd
Derek Hough
5. Katherine Jenkins (season 14) *2nd
Mark Ballas
6. Zendaya (season 16) *2nd
Val Chmerkovskiey
7. Elizabeth Berkley (season 17) *6th
Artem Chigvintsev

Males:
1.  Kyle Massey (season 11) *2nd
Lacey Schwimmer
2. J.R. Martinez  (season 13) *1st
Emma Slater
3. Jacoby Jones (season 16) *3rd
Sharna Burgess
4. Lance Bass (season 7) *3rd
Anna Trebunskaya
5. James Maslow (season 18) *4th
Peta Murgatroyd
6. Ralph Macchio (season 12) *4th
Karina Smirnoff

Edited by PBGamer89
(edited)

I have had a couple of dream contestants for awhile, but I don't think they would do it.  I know they tried the husband/wife competing duo with Jewel and Ty Murray, but I would love if Bart Connors and Nadia Comminici would both compete on the same season.  And since it's been awhile since we've had an old-school boy bander on the show (vs someone like Riker or James Maslow), I would LOVE JC Chasez.  I've wanted him on the show for forever, but I think he'd get slapped with the "ringer" label even worse than some others, especially since he judged a dance show.  

Side Note: I do sometimes wonder if some of the early boy band contestants would have done better now that the show incorporates so many alternative styles to ballroom (Drew Lachey being the exception, since he won).  Obviously, Joey McIntyre, Joey Fatone and Lance Bass all made it to the finals, but I think they were all clearly trained in styles of dance that would've let them excel at more of the contemporary, jazz, etc that we see on the show more frequently now.  

As for the pros, I'd love to see them bring back some of the pros they haven't used in ages, Lacey being at the top of the list.  I will never understand why they continually call on her to choreograph their group routines, but don't allow her to be a pro.  But I'd also like to see Anna T, Ashly DelGrosso (she was saddled with Master P, someone should throw her a bone), Chelsie, Dmitry and my personal favorite dancer, Karina.

I'd also like the judges to remember that they have paddles lower than 7.  Remember when the judges used to actually give out lower scores?  I remember even Kelly Monaco getting a 13 in her first season; I don't think we've had a score lower than 18 (even for horrendous dancers) in quite a few seasons.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

I would LOVE JC Chasez.  I've wanted him on the show for forever, but I think he'd get slapped with the "ringer" label even worse than some others, especially since he hosted a dance show.

IMHO there's a big difference between doing the kind of dancing JC did in NSYNC and dancing with a partner in a specific ballroom style. He might have the advantage in a free style but possibly not in the tango or waltz. 

• Love 1

IMHO there's a big difference between doing the kind of dancing JC did in NSYNC and dancing with a partner in a specific ballroom style. He might have the advantage in a free style but possibly not in the tango or waltz. 

Oh, I don't disagree with you there; it just seems that everyone that has had even a modicum of dance experience gets called a "ringer".  

I'd also like the judges to remember that they have paddles lower than 7.  Remember when the judges used to actually give out lower scores?  I remember even Kelly Monaco getting a 13 in her first season; I don't think we've had a score lower than 18 (even for horrendous dancers) in quite a few seasons.

Poor Billy Dee Williams and Emma got straight 5's for both of his dances and bowed out gracefully Week 3. S18 would've been more interesting if he'd stayed.

Oh, I don't disagree with you there; it just seems that everyone that has had even a modicum of dance experience gets called a "ringer".  

Both Joey Fatone and Lance Bass were on, do we really need another N'Syncer? 

Yes, and I'd love a couple more from NKOTB also. 

Me too! Jonathan would never do it (he talked about specifically avoiding the dance tasks on TAR), but I think Jordan would be fun. I can also see the producers casting Donnie Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy for the husband/wife stunt casting.

Another vote for keeping the troupe to bumpers/pro dances only (as they were originally) and not appearing in competition dances except for freestyles. Keep the elaborate props for freestyles only. Having a bunch of other dancers really takes attention away from the star.

I agree the production numbers have gotten messy and out of control. But I do like them in the context of Broadway, and they can be very entertaining if used sparingly.. Disney night really benefited from the Broadway production especially when conveying dancing cartoon characters, so I would prefer that each of the contestants are limited to ONE production number during the season, and that way they are forced to pare down the choreography for the majority of the season.  

I would also ask that the TEAM dances go back to being a Ballroom dance or a Latin dance. The best ones were Team Pasos and Team Tangos...We've got far too many freestyles on the show. 

• Love 3

I fully expect we'll see Caitlyn Jenner on DWTS this season as part of her transitioning media blitz. As for partners, I think Mark would be a good bet if he's tall enough or maybe Artem. I don't think Tony or Val would be good fits.

(edited)

Not so sure about that, for one, the internet has her at 6'2 which would be really hard to pair, unless they let the male pro be shorter, which they don't like to do. (Closest they've done might be Val (6') and Zendaya (5'10) together and she made fun of him for being "short" all season.) Tallest male pros are Tony (6'1) Keo (can't find his height, but he seems taller than Tony) and if they beg Maks to come back (6'2). I'm not the most confident Keo is mature enough to make that work?

I'm also not that convinced that DWTS is gonna be first on her list of things to do. 

It actually might be great to have her on though. Not a big Kardashian fan, but I like what she's doing for trans visibility. And who knows, maybe giving Keo an older partner could bring something great out of him, like Peta with Tommy Chong. 

Even better might be if they can get Laverne Cox, she's still tall, but at 5'11 would be sliiightly easier to pair.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
(edited)

I think Keo is a great choice. He's had two low-profile partners of iffy quality - regardless of Caitlyn's ability, she's definitely high profile (and I imagine has a strong ego/presence ahemmm) so I think the pairing could help get Keo better known as well.  And Strictly is making noise about having a same sex couple - one of their judges Craig has said he expects it this year or next - so maybe the Kardashians could conquer the world if Caitlyn went on that show.  They'll have Gleb this year and he's over 6'  ;)

ETA: I realized after writing that that it wouldn't be a same-sex couple but I think it could push the boundaries for the audience in the same sort of way, in keeping with their flirting with the idea of a same sex couple... or something like that.  Anyway, I'd be happy to donate one Kardashian-Jenner to the Brits - hell, they can have them all! They're already plastered over the Daily Mail all the time so why not?

Edited by Morrigan

I'd like Mark to get someone his age that is willing to go with his crazy ideas. I'd love to see what he'd come up with now with someone capable and willing. I'm sure there will be some real gems and a couple trainwrecks. Someone like a Janel who is able to improve a lot over the season but can perform from the beginning.

I'd like Derek to come back only if he's completely committed. I'm glad he's getting other opportunities, but I don't like that the celeb (and the audience) loses out on the experience because of it. If he is going to be exploring other opportunities during the show, I'd like him to get the Charlotte type - the star that he can make a couple pretty dances with but who doesn't have a lot of potential. That way, the star's not really missing out and the audience isn't missing out on the star's potential when he's not 100% committed.

I'd like Keo and Artem to both get capable and non-headcase partners. Tony can have the requisite teenager, so he could have someone who could keep up. He's old enough that it could be a cute dad vibe. I'd give Tony a capable adult partner, but Keo and Artem haven't had their chances to really shine yet.

I'd like Val to get a Patti type - a classy lady who's there for the fun of it. Someone who's older but knows how to perform. I'd love to see what he'd do with that. I think it could be magic like with Peta and Tommy.

I'd love to see Emma with a Charlie White type. Someone capable with a fanbase to get, at least, mid-season. I think she learned a lot with her Redfoo experience and having someone who could actually do the steps. Sharna, too, should get a capable partner.

Witney should get the older gentleman. She seems to be better when she has the older guys than the younger ones. I do think she managed to get a lot out of Chris this season, so that'd be good experience for a Tommy type.

Peta seems like she can work with all types. I'd like to see her stick around until mid-season, at least, but then I want all of them to stick around, too.

I don't know what I'd do with Allison. I think if the show gives her anyone who is not 20-27 and already in good shape with some dance ability, she's going to flounder again. And, that's who I'd give to Emma and Sharna. Since the show wants to keep her, I'm hoping she's doing her homework again this summer. I think I'd invite Allison to choreograph some showcase dances for the pros - like that Macy's thing a couple seasons ago. Use her for the choreography cred that she apparently has but let someone else be a teaching pro. Of course, that's why they have Mandy Moore so that probably wouldn't work.

I'd like Jenna to get a shot at pro with Kym leaving. I like Jenna and think she's done some interesting choreography in the numbers they credit to her. I also think they could use a brunette pro to break up all the blonde (sometimes in those long shots the female pros just blend together with the sole exception of Sharna).

And I've already spent too much time thinking about this, so my last wish: Please no Jenner. I like what the one producer said about the show - they try to cast stars like they're planning a dinner party. I wouldn't want to have dinner with Bruce Jenner (just not my cup of tea as a person), and I can only cringe at the spectacle that Caitlyn Jenner would bring to the show. They went, in my opinion, too far with Amy and her inspiration and barely managed to keep from going over the top about Noah, and he wasn't even encouraging it. I like this show to be fun, light-hearted entertainment.

(edited)

I wouldn't mind Caitlyn Jenner on the show at all. It would be interesting to see if she kept up athletic endeavours. Bruce  was in the audience a lot previously(rooting for Kim and Rob) and even before that, prompting speculation that Bruce would have joined. She obviously loves the show.  She probably won't do it right away, but we've had Chaz Bono so why not Caitlyn?  I think she has more potential as a dancer than Chaz had. She certainly has the drive of an athlete and that would be very interesting to watch. She's a bonafide star being not only an Olympian but the winner of the Decathlon, that's a very specific and incredible training regime. Even though she's 65 the Vanity Fair pics show her in great shape. Time for the world to be tolerant. Too many identified as transgender have killed themselves instead of living in a world of hate . She would definitely need a taller partner, maybe Keo or I sort of like Artem, as a partner. He was so good with Patti. I think he would be awesome with Caitlyn. Tommy Chong got pretty deep in the competition, if Caitlyn has rhythm I could see her going very far.   

Edited by Andie1
but we've had Chaz Bono so why not Caitlyn?

For me, it's the fact that I didn't really like Bruce. I don't like what I've seen of his attitude during the recent specials, especially his dismissal of his children's feelings at various points and the fact that he made me sympathetic toward the Kardashians. I can only imagine that Caitlyn is going to have a similar attitude. I want a cast I can like and root for and Caitlyn - who abandoned her children, sold out her other children, and proceeded to transition genders without even telling her children the extent of her plans - doesn't fit the bill for me. Sometimes people suck, regardless of their gender classification.

I probably wouldn't mind any of the Jenner kids competing with Caitlyn sitting in the audience.

I also don't want to watch Carrie Ann breaking down in tears because of her bravery and inspiration every week. They'll probably find someone to fill that role, regardless.

• Love 3

For me, Keeping Up with the Kardashians is a highly produced show, their houses aren't even their actual homes, I don't think it is a show where actual emotion is even an issue, it's all an act.  So in that respect I don't "know" Bruce/Caitlyn at all nor do I take anything said or done on that show as reflective of the people who act on it. He may be full of shit, but I thought Bruce was very candid in the interview with Diane Sawyer and his grown children, even his ex wives, were all very supportive of him.  Of course Kris and the Kardashian clan were no comment, but I think it has to do with how this decision will affect their product rather than their souls. So I've formulated no opinion of Caitlyn, except that anyone brave enough to come out as transgender in such a public way has to be a trailblazer for others. 

I think two members of the Kardashian/Jenner clan on this show is more than enough. ( No more Osbournes or Osmonds either, TYVM.). I didn't think much of Bruce on that ice skating show he was on and see no reason to think Caitlyn would be any better on Dancing. And she is 65, which means all of those years of hard athletic training may be catching up. I would be shocked if she does not have problems with arthritis and other joint issues, which I think I remember mention of on the skating show.

And, yes, I don't need to hear Carrie Ann weeping about bravery every week.

• Love 2

I was looking up something about Amanda Bynes last night and there were a bunch of articles that said the DWTS was trying to court her for the newest season. I think if she really committed herself she could be decent, but I honestly think she'll an early out.

I also saw that Marilu Henner was on some talk show in the last few weeks and when they asked her about her wanting to do DWTS she was coy about her chances of getting on when previously she had said they wouldn't let her do it. I don't know if they would have two 60+ woman on and the articles also mentioned the producers would be going full court press for Caitlyn. I think it'd be a one or the other situation.

(edited)

Would love Amanda Bynes because she could probably be a great student and performer though would feel guilty that I'd be entertained to see her in all her mentally unstable glory. Although I'd be rooting for her to have a full comeback angle too.

Don't want anything to do with the Kartrashian train or contestants that will encourage votes and judges' scores motivated by sociopolitical issues.

Edited by anonymiss

I'm iffy on Caitlyn. I don't want to ever see Kris in the audience, or any of the other K names for that matter, and Carrie Ann would have a literal field day. Julianne would too. Only Len can be the harmonizing force.

I've always thought Busy Philipps would be fun. And while I'm on a Dawson's Creek note, James van der Beek would be more fun -- I don't know if anyone else watched Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, but he played himself as a DWTS competitor. Karina made a guest appearance as Dean Cain's partner, who I would be okay with never seeing on real DWTS. Others I would love to see: Charisma Carpenter, Danielle Harris, anyone from Grey's Anatomy, Larisa Oleynik, Scott Foley, anyone from One Tree Hill, Kristin Davis, and Holly Marie Combs. I don't know if any of these people would ever do DWTS, but hey, I can dream.

• Love 2

I was looking up something about Amanda Bynes last night and there were a bunch of articles that said the DWTS was trying to court her for the newest season. I think if she really committed herself she could be decent, but I honestly think she'll an early out.

I would love Amanda Bynes, but only if she's in a good, stable place mentally, and she doesn't quite seem there yet.  

Chaz Bono decided to transition publicly because there was no way, given his parents, it would be kept under the radar, so he might as well turn it into an educational thing. I suspect Caitlyn decided something similar - if you can't hide it, you might as well flaunt it. (Not as much about education there, but hey...)

• Love 1

I've always thought Busy Philipps would be fun. And while I'm on a Dawson's Creek note, James van der Beek would be more fun -- I don't know if anyone else watched Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, but he played himself as a DWTS competitor.

Busy Philipps would be fun, but James van der Beek would be amazing. I laughed a lot at his rivalry with Dean Cain in Don't Trust the B, and I also wouldn't mind Dean Cain. But James first, please.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd love to see some "retired/semi-retired" celebrities: Derek Jeter (any of the 90s Yankees - Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Andy Pettite), Jon Stewart.

Vanessa Marcil

I second: James Van Der Beek and Dean Cain

Kristin Davis or Kim Cattrall

Mark Paul Gosselaar or Tiffani Amber Thiessen

Shannon Doherty

I would definitely like to see what Artem can do with a partner his age or younger.

Edited by DkNNy79