Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

E! has a brief interview with some of the ladies.  It more from the upfront day (the clothes are the same). Patrick leaving was one of the questions. Sarah saying she's happy for Patrick because he's spending time with his kids like she said the other day (hopefully she won't be attacked for it again) and Kelly briefly addressing it.

I can't help it, I find it kind of funny that a little change in the wording of statements causes it to go from "Shonda wrote them a script" to acceptance. 

I thought James Pickens, Jr. addressed it all the best of all of them. 

• Love 2

"Obviously Grey’s wouldn’t have been Grey’s without Patrick. He was such an integral part of that. He’s a very, very talented guy.”

This is what he said.

• Love 1
(edited)

I haven't gotten a chance to watch, are still holding up completely fine.  2.2 A18-49 rating, 8.25M viewers.  Last week's preliminary numbers were a 2.2 also but then it was adjusted down to a 2.1 in the finals.  I can't wait to see if people stick around for S12.

Sorry windsprints, didn't see your post!

Edited by Greysaddict
(edited)

Its actually incorrect (others pointed it out to him). GA was 2 hours last season and he only compared the 1 hour. Last year was a 2.6 and this year is a 2.2 so its more than 10%. 

Still consistent. Its been about .3 down in the demo all season since switching to 8:00. The numbers are completely in line with where they have been all season long.

ETA:

**Correction: I compared this year's GREY'S finale to last year's penultimate GREY'S. GA was a 2-hour last year: 8.9M & 2.6 A18-49

Edited by windsprints
(edited)

Its actually incorrect (others pointed it out to him). GA was 2 hours last season and he only compared the 1 hour. Last year was a 2.6 and this year is a 2.2 so its more than 10%. 

Still consistent. Its been about .3 down in the demo all season since switching to 8:00. The numbers are completely in line with where they have been all season long.

ETA:

Yea, the numbers absolutely consistent, plus a year to year drop is expected nowadays, especially with moving from 9pm to 8pm.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2

Scandal's last 4 finales: 2.3, 3.2, 3.4, 2.3. Full circle.

Grey's last 3 finales: 3.1, 2.6, 2.2

So Scandal's dropped 1.1 in one year, while Grey's dropped 0.9 in the course of 2 years. We can see which is being more consistent.

And year to year drops are expected for almost all shows.

One thing I would love to know is how the demo ratings breakdown by age.  The demo being 18-49 is a somewhat large range, and given the show has been on 10 years, lots of original fans would have moved out of the demo by now.  Is there any site that publishes a narrower "demo with in the demo" bracket?  I'm sure that's all available for advertisers but I'm not sure I have ever seen anything published for general consumption.

One thing I would love to know is how the demo ratings breakdown by age.  The demo being 18-49 is a somewhat large range, and given the show has been on 10 years, lots of original fans would have moved out of the demo by now.  Is there any site that publishes a narrower "demo with in the demo" bracket?  I'm sure that's all available for advertisers but I'm not sure I have ever seen anything published for general consumption.

I can get the numbers....do you have a particular demo you want to see?  18-49 is published on most sites because that is considered the advertising "standard".  

• Love 1

Oh, wow, I feel like it is Christmas morning!  I guess I'd like to see something from the 18-25 range or something close to that range....the very youngest end of the demo, these folks would have been 8-15 when the show just started.

Thank you very much Greysaddict, you are very kind to do this.

Again, thank you so much for doing this for us.  I figured the young end of the demo would be the worst, but was curious. I just wanted to get a feeling of how steep the dropoff was. That it is still in the top 10 of dramas for the year in that demo within the demo surprised me.  Good lord, it just feels like this show has been a machine.

(edited)

Can you get the women numbers since women viewers are such a strong focus for ABC? I'm just curious to see how high they are. Thank you!

I don't know if this statement is necessarily accurate.

Male viewers are generally more coveted than females because almost every show on network TV is more female skewing than male. The exceptions are Fox Sunday & Action Shows. Women are easier to get, and ABC's more popular shows are soaps which happen to appeal even more to women, so they keep getting new ones for overall ratings success, but they would love to have more than just Agents of Shield as a male skewing show. They just can't figure out how to do it.

More on topic: Grey's is one of just 10 network shows to avoid dropping below a 2.0 multiple times in 18-49 this season. Congrats, Shonda, esp as she has 3 of the 5 dramas to do that.

Edited by jjjmoss
(edited)

Does anyone else think the show is now going to try and get a slightly high profile actor to come on as a new doctor/future love interest for Meredith? Think Benjamin Bratt for Addison. I know the wounds are very fresh, and they'll play the grieving widow/single mother thing for a while, but I would not be surprised if we get a relatively  well-known male actor for recurring/possible series regular role as casting news this summer. I don't put it past Shonda to do that. We know she has trouble writing characters not being in romantic relationships and that's what the writers build the show on.

Predictable, as always.

Grey's Anatomy Season 12: ABC’s still-durable medical soap is looking to add a major new male presence

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 3
(edited)

With each passing season, this show increasingly becomes a mockery of what it used to be. 

Having said that, this new gentleman is probably going to be Catherine's outside candidate for Chief of Surgery, or will we have yet another character being added to the canvas in some capacity?

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm not surprised they are adding another male character. The show needs some men and the interns felt like children at this point in the show. Who they get will go a long way in determining my excitement level for the news.

this new gentleman is probably going to be Catherine's outside candidate for Chief of Surgery, or will we have yet another character being added to the canvas in some capacity?

If he's being added as a regular then he could be the candidate but I can't see them not making Bailey the Chief and would he stay after interviewing and losing?  Love interest for Meredith makes sense but I thought they would have waited until mid-end of season for that so he could be for someone else. Although, the time jumps put Meredith over a year of grieving for Derek. Maybe the show figured why wait since MerDer fans made it clear they weren't returning via the petition and comments?

Edited by maasa
(edited)

I'm not surprised either. The S11 ending left it as a reboot of sorts so a name actor coming in to potentially bring some new interest to the show seems about right.

If the character is going to be a love interest for Meredith I think they'll wait until the second half of the season for anything to happen. Meredith has been grieving for over a year but its still new for the audience. There's other female characters too so he may not necessarily be for her. I think if he is for Meredith they would be looking for an actor in their early to mid 40s.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
(edited)

of course, everyone saw this coming from miles away.  I agree with some other posters that the show desperately needs some more strong male surgeons.  Even before Derek's death the male doctors were lacking and now without Derek it's even worse.  I am holding out a sliver of hope that this new character will be the chief candidate and not brought on a love interest (for anyone).  I bet they will wait to see if he is well received before deciding if they will hook him up with Meredith.    

Edited by Greysaddict
(edited)

It's gonna be Meredith's eventual love interest, of course.

Shonda won´t waste a minute.She did not hesitate to force Amelia on Hunt when Cristina´s footsteps were still over the hospital,this will be the same. What is worse, she won´t even honour Derek´s death,I guess a year is enough and then let´s hop into bed with another man.

You are a fortune-teller! Kudos to you. You can read Rhimes very well. You predicted this even before they published the news. I saw your quote from April.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 1
(edited)

Jason George promoted to series regular according to EW. Another useless character that floods the already huge number of characters on the show. They kill one off and add two more. What kind of logic is that?

As expected,Shonda loves his body. I guess he put up some bold moves with his butt on the latest event when some male actors danced for her. So embarrassing,one must feel embarrassed for them. Dancing like at a hen party, only with the striptease number absent.

This means more naked scenes with Ben and Bailey. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Love 2

Jason George promoted to series regular according to EW. Another useless character that floods the already huge number of characters on the show. They kill one off and add two more. What kind of logic is that?

As expected,Shonda loves his body. I guess he put up some bold moves with his butt on the latest event when some male actors danced for her. So embarrassing,one must feel embarrassed for them. Dancing like at a hen party, only with the striptease number absent.

He's been on the show for 5 seasons now, so I guess his moves aren't all that bold.

I like Ben and I would prefer he become a regular than any of the interns. The show needs more guys. It makes me wonder if this is happening in case any of the other men leave. I know that JC and JPJ have contracts up after this season, but maybe JW and KMK do too.

• Love 6

Its probably more of a contract move to keep him locked in if they want to keep him around. 

I like Ben and I would prefer he become a regular than any of the interns. The show needs more guys. It makes me wonder if this is happening in case any of the other men leave. I know that JC and JPJ have contracts up after this season, but maybe JW and KMK do too.

I like Ben too. 

• Love 4

I wonder if they're putting episode guarantees into the contracts, so even if they're "regulars" doesn't mean they have to be shoved into every episode for no reason. I think Ellen was the only one who was in every episode of S11 if I'm not mistaken.

I was under the impression that everyone's contracts were up after season 12. Everyone who needed to reupped for 2 years after season 8, then reupped again after 10. I think Kevin and Jessica have their original contracts up after S12.

And then after I typed this, I remembered about Sarah, Jesse, Camilla, Jerrika and Kelly.

He's been on the show for 5 seasons now, so I guess his moves aren't all that bold.

I agree... And I would rather have Ben as a regular than have a male character just brought in to be a love interest for someone. Ben has been around for a while, has interacted well with lots of the characters and is married to one of the characters; it makes sense to make him a regular. 

• Love 5
(edited)

An interesting guy.

I don´t know him as an actor at all,but he looks really charismatic.

Definitely future love interest for Meredith. Hard to predict the acting chemistry he will have with Pompeo, after seeing her act with Dempsey for so long on the show. 

It´s obvious Shonda casts everybody from her previous shows that failed. 

(edited)

i don't know this guy at all (and have never seen Off the Map), but I am glad he is not a some wanna be carbon copy of Patrick Dempsey.  Although all the entertainment news sites are calling him McDreamy 2.0, i personally don't see him so much as Derek replacement but rather just a new male doctor.  I also don't believe he is automatically being brought in as love a interest for Meredith.   They will have to get a read on how the audience accepts him in general before even attempting a flirtation with Mer.  

ETA: i HATE that he's being called McDreamy 2.0.  UGH

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 3

Well, we knew another regular was coming so I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still kind of mind-blowing to think of how big the cast is going to be. Meredith, Alex, Richard, Bailey, Callie, Arizona, Owen, Jackson, April, Ben, Jo, Stef, Maggie, Amelia, New Guy + recurring new interns and Catharine. Many of these characters share 0 screen time and are totally unconnected to each other. I'm wondering if this new guy will play Bailey's competition for chief of surgery?

I'm assuming he's also a love interest for Meredith at some point, but I'd be happy to be wrong. I'd rather focus Meredith's story on rebuilding her life - balancing being a single mom (to THREE young kids!) and working as a surgeon, and perhaps building her connection to Maggie. A totally new love interest for Callie would be exciting, though as I said in another thread, I wouldn't hate a Callie + Jackson pairing. Maybe they get drunk and reminisce about Mark? It'd create an interesting dynamic considering April / Arizona have become friends. 

• Love 1
(edited)

i don't know this guy at all (and have never seen Off the Map), but I am glad he is not a some wanna be carbon copy of Patrick Dempsey.  Although all the entertainment news sites are calling him McDreamy 2.0, i personally don't see him so much as Derek replacement but rather just a new male doctor.  I also don't believe he is automatically being brought in as love a interest for Meredith.   They will have to get a read on how the audience accepts him in general before even attempting a flirtation with Mer.  

ETA: i HATE that he's being called McDreamy 2.0.  UGH

Agree 100%. He's not playing Derek Shepherd so he not replacing Patrick Dempsey but not at all surprised that the media would go for headlines like this.  I like the actor but obviously we can't have opinions on the character yet since we haven't seen him so we'll see. I'm hoping he gets to keep his accent instead of using an American one.

I hope his inevitable love interest is anyone other than Meredith. I think it would be better for them to go with a love interest that has zero in common with Patrick Dempsey's looks, not even something like hair color, to minimize the comparisons/complaining.

FWIW, Off The Map was created by, written by and run by Jenna Bans (Shondaland produced). 

Edited by windsprints

Martin Henderson starred in one of my favorite movies, "Bride and Prejudice." Because of that I gave "Off the Map" a shot. It was horrible, and sadly, he was not good in it. Can't speak to any of his other work.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just imagine the sum of money they will offer Pompeo to stay after  S12 onwards. I bet she won´t refuse,she will have enough money to provide for both her kids and carefree pension. 

Martin Henderson starred in one of my favorite movies, "Bride and Prejudice." Because of that I gave "Off the Map" a shot. It was horrible, and sadly, he was not good in it. Can't speak to any of his other work.

Oh my, I watched a couple of episodes yesterday, awful show and he was very weak in it. It only shows why the show failed,none of the actors managed to carry it through with their skills. Jenna Bans who was a great writer for Greys,also was the headwriter for this other show,but the performances are all around weak,Henderson included.

There goes my excitement. Though, he might be similar to Mckidd,who is a great actor, but suffers on Greys, and at times you can´t watch him,the same might be with Henderson, he might be talented but if you have weak acting partners or are chewing the script, it can all go wrong. I tend to think he will play the same character on Greys as on Off the map, or a similar type of character. But I have to be fair,in a couple of scenes where his character remembers his dead wife and kid, that was some fine subtle acting I liked. His character Ben also had great chemistry with Lily, but then they changed the direction of storytelling and he ended up with sb else in S1. Wrong choice.

With all respect to Henderson, he is not a name actor,by the way what kind of name actor would come on Greys to supposedly be McDreamy2? Nobody. It´s like committing your career´s suicide.

(edited)

Just imagine the sum of money they will offer Pompeo to stay after S12 onwards. I bet she won´t refuse,she will have enough money to provide for both her kids and carefree pension.

Oh my, I watched a couple of episodes yesterday, awful show and he was very weak in it. It only shows why the show failed,none of the actors managed to carry it through with their skills. Jenna Bans who was a great writer for Greys,also was the headwriter for this other show,but the performances are all around weak,Henderson included.

There goes my excitement. Though, he might be similar to Mckidd,who is a great actor, but suffers on Greys, and at times you can´t watch him,the same might be with Henderson, he might be talented but if you have weak acting partners or are chewing the script, it can all go wrong. I tend to think he will play the same character on Greys as on Off the map, or a similar type of character. But I have to be fair,in a couple of scenes where his character remembers his dead wife and kid, that was some fine subtle acting I liked. His character Ben also had great chemistry with Lily, but then they changed the direction of storytelling and he ended up with sb else in S1. Wrong choice.

With all respect to Henderson, he is not a name actor,by the way what kind of name actor would come on Greys to supposedly be McDreamy2? Nobody. It´s like committing your career´s suicide.

Has Greys ever cast a name actor as a regular? The only regulars I have ever heard of before they were cast as Greys was Sandra Oh, Sara Ramirez and Sarah Drew. I knew who Jessica Capshaw was because of her mother. Edited by choclatechip45

Do we know for sure that this (very hot btw) guy is a love interest for Meredith? There are 4 single women on the show now and one with marriage troubles.

Any new guy is going to be called McDreamy 2.0 but it doesn't necessarily mean that he will be Merefith's love interest. At least not anytime soon.

• Love 3

We don't know anything yet. Even Ellen said earlier today that she doesn't know how the story will unfold and that she hasn't read a script yet so everybody is just speculating.

• Love 1

We don't know anything yet. Even Ellen said earlier today that she doesn't know how the story will unfold and that she hasn't read a script yet so everybody is just speculating.

Has Ellen been giving interviews? 

Yes. She was at the Taormina Film Fest in Italy. She even received an award for something. Plus, she kind of talked about Derek's death and fans weren't happy.

Just check this twitter account.

• Love 3
(edited)
windsprints, is he a good actor?

I think he is good and more than capable enough for Grey's Anatomy but different people like different actors.  I watched all of Off The Map when it aired and thought he was good in the role. Its been awhile but I watched the show when it aired and IIRC it did improve as it went along but it wasn't a fantastic show IMO. I disagree that the actors were weak. I watched the show primarily because of the actors -  Caroline Dhavernas (Wonderfalls), Zach Gilford (Friday Night Lights) and Mamie Gummer (many roles, including a recurring on The Good Wife) were all part of the cast.

I also saw a couple of episodes of the Australian version of Secrets & Lies recently. I enjoyed the American version and just wanted to check out the other when it came across my Netflix recommendations.  And, oddly just this weekend I watched a couple of episodes of a Sundance show that a friend recommended and he was in it. I thought he was good in both of those shows but I did only see a couple of episodes of each.

I have no idea if his role will be of any interest to me or if he'll be great it in or suck at it but I am certainly willing to give him a chance. We'll see how it goes. He's already been bashed all over social media by MerDer fans so hopefully that will be done with now and he'll be judged based on what he does on the show.

Has Greys ever cast a name actor as a regular? The only regulars I have ever heard of before they were cast as Greys was Sandra Oh, Sara Ramirez and Sarah Drew. I knew who Jessica Capshaw was because of her mother.

I believe Joshua Jackson was originally cast as Owen but (I think) the writer's strike pushed back the timing of the role and it conflicted for him.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3