Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

(edited)

Why should they? A tribute? He didn't die, he left the show. The upfronts are for next year.

I think way too much importance is being put on what the cast does or doesn't say. I'm sure PD is well over it by now.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 10
(edited)

For the ratings for next season.

I remain convinced that Caterina becoming a regular was a signal of the beginning of the end for Derek. Derek was never an important enough character for that sibling-rivalry business to be sustainable. Only Meredith gets to have siblings working in the hospital (an apparently endless supply of them!) And how would they use two neurosurgeons?

Shonda brought her out of unemployment to replace PD. No wonder she's so fucking chirpy.

OMG. I´ve just read your comment, so true,so true,preach it. Scorsone is a huge reason (amongst others) Dempsey is out. The minute she stepped on MerDer´s  house, one knew we would never ever get rid of her.

Why should they? A tribute? He didn't die, he left the show. The upfronts are for next year.

I think way too much importance is being put on what the cast does or doesn't say. I'm sure PD is well over it by now.

You should say publicly at such an event thank you to a colleague you worked with for several years,  Saying thank you also for the fans who supported MerDer  for 11 seasons, just a simple nice human gesture.

Yes, Dempsey is over it, the fact he unfollowed his former boss and castmates says it all.Good for him.

That Caterina (Amelia) interview bothers me.

Just to copy and paste a few things, "It was also kind of exciting, in a way, because he's been such a huge part of the show and it has been defining in a lot of ways and now we're moving toward all of these other stories that are now opening up. It's a little bit exciting...there's an excitement brewing about what this next chapter is going to be...it will not be boring...There's a lot going on and a really electric feeling about what is going to happen from here. I'm excited about next season to find out...We're all really excited about our storylines...Now there's this buzz of excitement about what's coming..."

I get that she has to toe the party line, but could she use the word "exciting" in one more sentence?  Add that to EP's tweet, "...I am honored and excited to tell the story of how Meredith goes on..."

Couldn't Shonda and Co. pick up a thesaurus?

Both are excited,well,ok then. 

Pompeo at least has a way with words, Scorsone is just painfully awful with her very limited vocabulary. 

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
(edited)

Upfronts are an industry thing. Purpose of the upfronts is to gain advertisers ($) and promo to the press in advance of the upcoming season. For Grey's, it's critical to be forward looking to demonstrate that the show still has life & compelling stories to be told during Season 12. If I was an advertiser, I'd want to ensure that my adverts would be seen by the largest number of my target demographic.

Edited by kurtz
  • Love 2
(edited)

Two things:

1.  What in the holy hell was the actress that plays Jo wearing in that first interview?!:) 

2.  ABC is not going out of business with Shonda.  The show won't stay forever, but as long as ratings don't crater (and hell, maybe even if they do), she's going to get a say in when to end this show (and likely which of her new shows will replace it on Thursday's TGIT:)

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I think Camilla Luddington is stunning but my god, I'd say that dress was so uncomfortable.

She relies on her beauty a lot and 90% of events looks really glamorous but this dress was desperate, stripes of black cloth which almost make her body parts explode, especially her breast. Odd.

(edited)
Upfronts are an industry thing. Purpose of the upfronts is to gain advertisers ($) and promo to the press in advance of the upcoming season. For Grey's, it's critical to be forward looking to demonstrate that the show still has life & compelling stories to be told during Season 12. If I was an advertiser, I'd want to ensure that my adverts would be seen by the largest number of my target demographic.

Exactly. The upfronts are not a fan event and that's why there aren't fans in the audience. 

I'm guessing if Ellen or any other cast member wishes to declare their undying love for Patrick publicly for the fans they'll easily be able to find a media outlet to interview them. They didn't need to wait for the upfronts to do this though. Just a guess but EW, TVGuide, TVLine and any of the others probably would have loved some interviews with them right after the episode aired.

ETA: TV Upfronts: ABC Entertainment Chief on 'Grey's Anatomy's' Future, 'SHIELD' Spinoff, More

Missed the People interview earlier - there you go, the cast made their public comments. Hopefully that will put an end to the nastiness towards the actors.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3
(edited)

There is s difference between a tribute and allowing questions. Cracks me up. "ABC is not allowing comments on the departure of Patrick Dempsey at this time"

Edited by LakeLover
  • Love 3
(edited)

I feel like some people won't be happy until a statue of Patrick is erected in front of abc studios with a plaque that reads Patrick you're amazing we're sorry for firing you for undisclosed reasons.

On a less sarcastic note upfront a are for the upcoming seasons to speak if the shows direction going forward. Demoed questions shouldn't be any type of major focus.

Edited by noname1
  • Love 6

I read the zap to it and Hollywood reporter articles no sign of that statement must have missed that one , as u said it hasn't appeared in anything I had read but I'm sure I may have missed an article somewhere.

It's done Derek was written out, Dempsey was fired, I don't see the need for statements and declarations from costars

• Love 1

I would imagine that the request for no comments is so that the cast is not put in an awkward position.

The upfronts are meant to promote future seasons. That is what the cast is there to do. Not to run interference on yet another backstage issue. They are all professionals.

A couple cast members have tried to answe questions about the PD situation, and even when their answers are positive, they are met with rude, crappy comments.

• Love 7

The cast answered what?

Questions regarding on how they were dealing with the departure of both Derek and Patrick. The cast answered to the affect of he was a big part of the show we'll miss him but are happy for him.

Don't know what else people want/need.

• Love 4

Questions regarding on how they were dealing with the departure of both Derek and Patrick. The cast answered to the affect of he was a big part of the show we'll miss him but are happy for him.

Don't know what else people want/need.

Sarah Drew, for example, said that she was happy for him. Which, of course prompted rude tweets from fans who seem to think that they are much more knowledgeable about the situation than she, a person who actually was there and worked with him.

I'm not surprised that the cast had no interest in answering questions or that ABC has requested that they not be asked. They just can't win or satisfy some people.

• Love 5
I'm not surprised that the cast had no interest in answering questions or that ABC has requested that they not be asked. They just can't win or satisfy some people.

I am glad ABC didn't allow questions about PD's departure at this specific event. The cast is there to promote their show and its unfair for them to be put on the spot. They had nothing to do with the contract between Patrick and ABC Studios/Network/Disney ending. You're correct - the actors would have been slammed on twitter no matter what they said so no real point.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sarah Drew, for example, said that she was happy for him. Which, of course prompted rude tweets from fans who seem to think that they are much more knowledgeable about the situation than she, a person who actually was there and worked with him.

You are exactly right, "some people" will not be satisfied. I am not satisfied. I saw the idiocy on my screen, and that's how I as a fan was "thanked" for ten years of loyal viewing.

As for Sarah Drew, she is happy for him being let out of a contract that he signed, committing to two seasons, and evidently there was little to no discussion with him, according to his interview. She is happy for him. Right. So happy for him. If it stinks, which it does, it's probably garbage.

For some people, the entire thing has been disrespectful. If some other people don't get it, don't care, want to move on, do so.

Edited by LakeLover
  • Love 5

The thing is, I've moved on, Patrick has moved on, the rest of the cast has moved on, Shonda has moved on.  Yet, they are being asked to look back and talk about what ended this season even when the purpose of the press event is to promote the next season.  

I keep going back to what would you have Shonda or Ellen or any other cast member say that would satisfy you?  Is there anything that they could do to make you say, okay, I'll move on?

And by "you", I'm not speaking to any one person, I'm legitimately asking those that have the anger, what can anyone do or say to resolve it? If the answer is "nothing", well, I don't blame those involved with staying out of this. 

• Love 3

See, I think the problem for me is no matter who has "moved on" in the cast, crew, or production, I don't appreciate (having watched this show since day one)  pretty much being told to get over it, move on, etc.  By the way, the episode was about 3 weeks ago and I've been watching these characters for 10 years, so a little perspective there.  I loved this show and I will miss this show and I am very sad about the ending I was handed.  I have no interest in most of the characters on the show now, and I really don't appreciate Shonda's vindictive, dismissive writing for an original character that I really liked.  I guess I'm still shell shocked that she did it and am still processing my feelings about it.  And that's ok for me or anyone else here to do.  There is nothing Shonda can say that will make me ok with any of it because she lost my trust as a fan, so I don't believe one self-promoting word that comes out of her mouth or her tweets.  I think most people can read between the lines, and when a writer decides to write off a hugely popular character the way she did, expect backlash and questions that deserve answers, not insulting radio silence.  She didn't kill off some player of the week.  She killed of Derek freaking Shepherd.

• Love 5

I hear that, and it's fair.  I've got some issues with The Good Wife recently, so I understand being angry at a show and actors.  What I don't understand is why actors on this show are being leveled on social media because they don't take up the cause of someone who is gone.  What on god's green earth are they supposed to say  or do?

• Love 5

I hear that, and it's fair. I've got some issues with The Good Wife recently, so I understand being angry at a show and actors. What I don't understand is why actors on this show are being leveled on social media because they don't take up the cause of someone who is gone. What on god's green earth are they supposed to say or do?

Yes, I get that fans are angry and upset and they have a right to be. Shonda and ABC deserve criticism (I don't think they deserve quite as much mean vitriol as they have gotten but YMMV). But the rest of the cast doesn't.

To take the Sarah Drew example, I think that she knows much more about the situation than any of us, and if she is happy for Patrick then it seems to me that he is fine with the situation. Maybe he wanted a better ending for Derek, most of us did, but if his cast mate is happy for him, I assume he got what he wanted. So she doesn't deserved to get slammed for anything,

• Love 2

I hear that, and it's fair.  I've got some issues with The Good Wife recently, so I understand being angry at a show and actors.  What I don't understand is why actors on this show are being leveled on social media because they don't take up the cause of someone who is gone.  What on god's green earth are they supposed to say  or do?

I want to first say that I don't think that the hate any of the actors have received is right or fair.

However, I think the issue is that just last season when Sandra Oh left, the cast flooded twitter with "We'll miss you"/"Good Luck"/"Goodbye!" messages and I would guess most people (including myself, to be honest) expected something similar for another pivotal character that had been there from day one. Instead there was a whole lot of nothing (except for Kevin and maybe 1 or 2 others).

But now seeing the "ABC is not allowing comments on the departure of Patrick Dempsey at this time" editor's note, it seems likely that they were all on a pretty tight leash. I suspected there would be guidelines for them, but it now seems clear to me that they were pretty much told to keep a lid on it. Understandable, but a risky move for the network from a PR standpoint. While I understand why some fans thought it was rude/disrespectful for the cast members not to say anything, it's pretty obvious now that they shouldn't be criticized for any of it, as the choices were not their own. As many have said, I'm sure they said whatever they needed to say to Patrick privately.

I think it's a shame, honestly. These are smart people and I'm sure they wouldn't have actually revealed anything. They want to keep their jobs, after all. 

• Love 1

I just want to add that I do not agree with the actors being attacked or even blamed for anything about Patrick Dempsey's exit.  I have not done that.  I'm not sure who's decision it was for Caterina to do an interview that was published at the same time it all went down onscreen, but that did bother me.  It was awful timing for me to read an interview with an actor still on the show using the word "excited" repeatedly about her storyline when Derek wasn't even buried yet.  That was offensive to me, but I certainly didn't go bash her on Twitter about it.  I just complained about it on here and to some of my friends not online who watch/watched the show.  I do, however, think that Shonda deserves every negative tweet she gets because it was all her bright idea and it's called consequences.

• Love 2

I do, however, think that Shonda deserves every negative tweet she gets because it was all her bright idea and it's called consequences.

I agree it is fair to be angry at Shonda.  I agree that one can complain.  I can't agree that some of the vitriol and hate is justified.  Lots of it is simply vile.  And I assume you don't believe that that corner of response to her is "earned". 

See, I think the problem for me is no matter who has "moved on" in the cast, crew, or production, I don't appreciate (having watched this show since day one) pretty much being told to get over it, move on, etc. By the way, the episode was about 3 weeks ago and I've been watching these characters for 10 years, so a little perspective there. I loved this show and I will miss this show and I am very sad about the ending I was handed. I have no interest in most of the characters on the show now, and I really don't appreciate Shonda's vindictive, dismissive writing for an original character that I really liked. I guess I'm still shell shocked that she did it and am still processing my feelings about it. And that's ok for me or anyone else here to do. There is nothing Shonda can say that will make me ok with any of it because she lost my trust as a fan, so I don't believe one self-promoting word that comes out of her mouth or her tweets. I think most people can read between the lines, and when a writer decides to write off a hugely popular character the way she did, expect backlash and questions that deserve answers, not insulting radio silence. She didn't kill off some player of the week. She killed of Derek freaking Shepherd.

Yes, yes, and absolutely yes.

• Love 3

I want to first say that I don't think that the hate any of the actors have received is right or fair.

However, I think the issue is that just last season when Sandra Oh left, the cast flooded twitter with "We'll miss you"/"Good Luck"/"Goodbye!" messages and I would guess most people (including myself, to be honest) expected something similar for another pivotal character that had been there from day one. Instead there was a whole lot of nothing (except for Kevin and maybe 1 or 2 others).

But now seeing the "ABC is not allowing comments on the departure of Patrick Dempsey at this time" editor's note, it seems likely that they were all on a pretty tight leash. I suspected there would be guidelines for them, but it now seems clear to me that they were pretty much told to keep a lid on it. Understandable, but a risky move for the network from a PR standpoint. While I understand why some fans thought it was rude/disrespectful for the cast members not to say anything, it's pretty obvious now that they shouldn't be criticized for any of it, as the choices were not their own. As many have said, I'm sure they said whatever they needed to say to Patrick privately.

I think it's a shame, honestly. These are smart people and I'm sure they wouldn't have actually revealed anything. They want to keep their jobs, after all. 

the difference there is that a year before her final episode Sandra Oh announced her departure. She left at the end of her contract at her own request. patrick Dempsey was fired for one reason or another mid contract and about three quarters of the way through the season. That right there makes these two completely different situations with different responses/reactions. i don't know why he got fired, not my business to be honest but that once fact makes everything that came after it different than Sandra oh's departure.

• Love 3

I just want to add that I do not agree with the actors being attacked or even blamed for anything about Patrick Dempsey's exit.  I have not done that.  I'm not sure who's decision it was for Caterina to do an interview that was published at the same time it all went down onscreen, but that did bother me.  It was awful timing for me to read an interview with an actor still on the show using the word "excited" repeatedly about her storyline when Derek wasn't even buried yet.  That was offensive to me, but I certainly didn't go bash her on Twitter about it.  I just complained about it on here and to some of my friends not online who watch/watched the show.  I do, however, think that Shonda deserves every negative tweet she gets because it was all her bright idea and it's called consequences.

I think to be offended by a person giving an interview regarding her job and the death of a fictional character is a bit extreme. I thought her interview was stupid and repetitive but was I offended by it? no. Too much actually offensive stuff going on.

Regarding the Shonda tweets no one deserves that, I don't even like the lady. true story she blocked me on twitter like 5 years ago because i said that i thought making a wedding site for Meredith and Derek and having fans donate to it but making it a wedding for Izzie and Alex was misleading. But saying she deserves all the irrational anger and hate and some really gross things that have been slung her way is not something I agree with.

• Love 1

Hi guys ... as one of the many fans that have had to deal with a loss within this show, I can certainly see both sides of the aisle ... however, please let's remember that everyone handles loss differently ... and some may take longer than others to get over it (my words, no one else's).  

Let's also remember to snark on the show, not on each other.  Please respect each other's view, even if they don't match your own.  

Thank you for your consideration ... carry on!

• Love 5

My whole problem with the situation is all the pro Patrick can't do any wrong. Clearly the situation was so bad it ended like this I mean that's not just one persons fault. Even TR admitted some fault in the ways he handled things with Shonda.

My whole problem with the situation is all the pro Patrick can't do any wrong. Clearly the situation was so bad it ended like this. A situation doesn't get to be this bad because of one person. TEven TR (who I think handled things very professionally) admitted some fault in the ways he handled things with Shonda.

• Love 2

See, I think the problem for me is no matter who has "moved on" in the cast, crew, or production, I don't appreciate (having watched this show since day one)  pretty much being told to get over it, move on, etc.  By the way, the episode was about 3 weeks ago and I've been watching these characters for 10 years, so a little perspective there.  I loved this show and I will miss this show and I am very sad about the ending I was handed.  I have no interest in most of the characters on the show now, and I really don't appreciate Shonda's vindictive, dismissive writing for an original character that I really liked.  I guess I'm still shell shocked that she did it and am still processing my feelings about it.  And that's ok for me or anyone else here to do.  There is nothing Shonda can say that will make me ok with any of it because she lost my trust as a fan, so I don't believe one self-promoting word that comes out of her mouth or her tweets.  I think most people can read between the lines, and when a writer decides to write off a hugely popular character the way she did, expect backlash and questions that deserve answers, not insulting radio silence.  She didn't kill off some player of the week.  She killed of Derek freaking Shepherd.

Thank you, SGFan!  This articulates my feelings well for the most part.

There are a few things that would at least somewhat "satisfy"/"pacify" me:

1.  Shonda owning up to her ego and diva behavior and taking responsibility for her role in whatever went on behind the scenes.

2.  If it was Shonda's people and/or ABC who planted the articles about Patrick's so-called "diva" behavior, own up to that and publish retractions about any part of those articles that were false, and apologize to Patrick for it.

3.  Shonda and ABC acknowledging how much this has upset so many fans and apologizing for that.

4.  Shonda owning up to how craptastically the whole thing was done and apologizing to Patrick and the fans for the huge slap in the face that this is.

I don't believe that any of the other actors or crew had anything to do with it, therefore I don't believe that they deserve the vitriol that they are being subjected to.  I do, however, believe that Shonda and possibly ABC deserve the vitriol that calls them out on their crap.  At the same time, I do not believe that they deserve any sort of threats, abuse, or "sick" or "disgusting" comments that people may be making towards them.

• Love 7
(edited)
My whole problem with the situation is all the pro Patrick can't do any wrong.

Oh, he can. But not based on superstition.

Most of the allegations against him are from gossip sites that are as reliable as a baby handling a nuclear weapon. Given that this was not a mutual agreement of departure (as he has expressed) then it was one person to hold the keys. I'm sure he can be an asshole in some cases. No one is that nice all the time. But in this particular issue, it doesn't seem he was the one in the wrong and there's no proof that he was actively doing something that prompted Shonda to act as she did (as the diva rumors seem to suggest). 

Or perhaps it was just a natural course of action and he was let go for the actual reason of  [terrible] storytelling. (Which still doesn't justify the shitty way he was killed. Come on, she could have done a lot better than this.)

As for satisfaction, eh, no one get what they wants. Ever. So I don't expect people to get what they want from SR or ABC or the people that don't want to see such things to stop seeing them. Frankly, I'm glad I can finally put this show to rest in my already saturated DVR (and with Supergirl premiering and -did anyone noticed CL was on a falling plane, AGAIN), so at least I can give them that. If we are all about hopes and dreams then yeah, echoing KnitsWithRaceCars, I would enjoy for SR & Co. to stop with the bullshit and just own it.  I'd love a "Yeah, we did it and it wasn't totally a wise decision but we fucked up and oops. And now we will show you a different show with more of the same!" Even with those words. I'd even gain a bit more respect for her just for that. I did think that the cast speaking out would have been an appropriate thing to do as in my job, even the trainees who have been there for 10 weeks get a better sendoff than PD did, but that was me. SD & JW already did and that counts.

Internet vitriol will always exist and nothing will make certain people happy. Nothing. So I doubt that will ever go away with anything other than burning the internet to the ground. Do Shonda and the actors & crew deserve it? No. Will they stop getting it? No. But if Will McAvoy couldn't single handedly fix the internet, doubt anyone will. All we can do is not do that but call out when it's disgusting. 

But those are my two very long cents. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 5

Just for clarification, I do not expect any of the things that I listed to actually happen, and I'm not going to spend any time hoping that they will because I think it would be a waste of my time.  I suspect that the chances of hell freezing over, pigs flying, a real zombie apocalypse occurring, etc. are greater than the chances of any of my listed items occurring.  I was simply listing them as things that would pacify me, not as things that I think will happen.

• Love 4
(edited)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tahliapritchard/callie-o-malley#.egb8AggJE Some lighthearted media coverage.

1.  Shonda owning up to her ego and diva behavior and taking responsibility for her role in whatever went on behind the scenes.

2.  If it was Shonda's people and/or ABC who planted the articles about Patrick's so-called "diva" behavior, own up to that and publish retractions about any part of those articles that were false, and apologize to Patrick for it.

The thing is we dont know if he was diva or causing disturbances on set, there are two sets of thoughts here 1, evil Shonda killed Derek maligned Dempsey and owes us an apology. 2. Patrick in some way caused the show runners to let him go and write him out, the cause is being kept private for one reason or another.

But we don't know which is right and which is wrong or if it some version of both. It has not been proven that he caused issues on set but it has not been proven that he didn't. And a statement from his PR rep that he isn't a diva can't really by used and end all statement of truth, she is paid to be on his side and represent him as best as possible and with a PR reps that involves a fair amount of denials and even lies.  

Edited by noname1
  • Love 4

Man, they should have had Jerrika Hinton be the cast "spokesperson" right away after PD's exit. I think she handled that really well. She said things that subtly pointed at "We decided not to talk about this on social media because we knew people would go completely bonkers" without being insulting to fans who are upset, she validated the fan's feelings and reactions without putting down the show or storyline. Basically nice to the fans without biting the hand that feeds her. Well done.

• Love 4
Basically nice to the fans without biting the hand that feeds her. Well done.

And they said it could not be done. Although glad she switched from her previous "it was an internal family decision" answer, 'cause that was terrible. Also JPJ was really cool and very sweet. It was possible, people! 

'Grey's Anatomy': Are Alex and Meredith Endgame?

I have to feel terrible for Jo. This was always a problem I had with Derek with the frat house and hate that it is now transferred to Jo. They can't come up with new stuff, can they? And no, Alex and Meredith shouldn't be endgame. But this insane show probably will put them together as a nuclear disaster is heading to Seattle because what disaster do they have left? 

• Love 3

what disaster do they have left? 

I'm hoping to see black death, like in the Middle Age. It's a medical disaster, it's dramatic, it allows to kill a lot of people in the same episode. I also like your suggestion of the zombie apocalypse!

• Love 3