Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

Surely this will be the general statement all the cast will have to repeat endlessly

As long as when it's Justin Chambers' turn he can say "I am excited that I will have a storyline that doesn't revolve around women's personal hygiene and neuroses. I am excited that I can go back to playing the complex character that I played for the previous ten years. I am excited that I will have a true storyline showcasing the ways that Alex has grown both professionally and personally and also reflecting the issues he still needs to overcome."

If we were ever to get that statement, I would die of exhilaration, joy and delight!

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3

Are they for real? Why not kill off Meredith and Alex, Bailey too. They'll save so much more money! ABC needs to shut up because they're just digging the hole deeper and looking more pathetic with their attempts of defending themselves.

• Love 6

ABC to Save Nearly $10 million in Patrick Dempsey Exit

More damage control? Is an article like this really necessary? The network seems to be trying to save face with an article like this. Who cares how much he was getting paid! I feel like it's so much more than the fact that Patrick is no longer on the show. It's about the disgraceful way Derek was written out.

awful, pointless article, especially since I'd bet they still have to pay him out a significant portion of the contract for releasing him early.  

Serious question though....do actors get paid for all episodes per season even if they don't appear?  For example, would Patrick have gotten paid for all 24 episodes this year even though he wasn't in 9-15?  

If we were ever to get that statement, I would die of exhilaration, joy and delight!

Don't forget excitement.

• Love 1

Are they for real? Why not kill off Meredith and Alex, Bailey too. They'll save so much more money! ABC needs to shut up because they're just digging the hole deeper and looking more pathetic with their attempts of defending themselves.

This.  I don't care how much money a billion dollar company saves by letting one actor go from the many actors they employ.  The bottom line is they made a huge, irreversible, awful decision to throw away one of the most important characters on the show and pissed off an enormous number of long-time fans, and now they're going to have to choke on it.  I imagine they will save hundreds of millions of dollars on salaries when the show is inevitably cancelled when the viewership is cut in half.  Also, whether someone is a fan of Derek or not, every Grey's fan should be concerned because after this, no character is "safe" and there is obviously no loyalty from ABC or Shonda to the long-term viewers.

• Love 8

ABC didn't write that article. It seems like it was the writer guess-timating what PD would have been paid if he stuck around.

I'd like to know how much ABC is spending on these last few episodes, with all the rewrites, scrapped story lines and extra location shoots..to salvage this season. 

I thought I read last month that Shonda was doing final editing on the season finales?..then this all came about.

Weren't they all on hiatus at this time last year? 

I'm not sure its possible to know the answers to the contracts questions without seeing the contracts. I'd guess his contract had various clauses for all kinds of situations.

I would think they pay him for any episode he is credited in, whether or not he appears. I'd also guess that he had some guarantee in the contract to be credited in all episodes.

Generally actor's options are picked up prior to the new season beginning. Again though, no one knows what was in his contract. 

I think they finished around this time last year. It seems they're maybe a week behind. Scandal wrapped today I think so GA isn't that far behind them.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 4

Scandal wrapped today I think so GA isn't that far behind them.

Scandal also has 22 episodes versus Grey's 24.

Grey's usually shoots up through the last week of April, so I don't see that much more of a difference this season compared to those previous. They always tend to cut it close right at the very end, though if shooting creeps into next week then they will be cutting it extra close. No matter what, post production is there til the very end.

• Love 2

ABC didn't write that article. It seems like it was the writer guess-timating what PD would have been paid if he stuck around.

I'd like to know how much ABC is spending on these last few episodes, with all the rewrites, scrapped story lines and extra location shoots..to salvage this season. 

I thought I read last month that Shonda was doing final editing on the season finales?..then this all came about.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. THR is the website SR lately used for her official statements.

I don't care how much they're saving, are they implying that he was earning too much? the contract is stipulated between two parts. Don't tell me that they're doing the math just now. Plus, how much the other dozen of useless regulars cost ABC? I don't know what the goal of this article is. it's a useless discussion. I don't care how much he earned, it was exactly how much they thinked he was worth just a few months ago.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 2

Grey's usually shoots up through the last week of April, so I don't see that much more of a difference this season compared to those previous. They always tend to cut it close right at the very end, though if shooting creeps into next week then they will be cutting it extra close. No matter what, post production is there til the very end.

The sides have them filming until May 5th (next tues) and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to add a few days to that.  KMK tweeted about finishing shooting 11x23 last night, which according to the sides should have been done last friday.  They do seem way more behind that usual.

Maybe you can start a petition ;)

If only. 

I would think they pay him for any episode he is credited in, whether or not he appears. I'd also guess that he had some guarantee in the contract to be credited in all episodes.

He's still credited (on the press releases) until the SF. If he got this deal, niiiiiiice.

Better yet, cancel the show! No more spending! If they want to save money, I can start with a list of useless characters on the show. 

This does have their marks everywhere though. As far as I can tell, the last estimation of PD's salary was $350,000 and the article lists it at $400,000 per episode. The information came from somewhere. Now, probably didn't came with the details that may have made PD's contract different, but this does seem a bit like ABC influenced it. Or maybe not but I doubt they'd give out PD's salary for no good reason. Perhaps they thought this would help.

OTOH: I need PD's agent and a contract like that. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 2

The finale has also has aired later in May than this season...it just seems like in years past, they were 3 weeks in the can before an episode aired.  Filming the finale into May, with the finale airing a week earlier seems odd. 

That Caterina (Amelia) interview bothers me.

I remain convinced that Caterina becoming a regular was a signal of the beginning of the end for Derek. Derek was never an important enough character for that sibling-rivalry business to be sustainable. Only Meredith gets to have siblings working in the hospital (an apparently endless supply of them!) And how would they use two neurosurgeons?

Shonda brought her out of unemployment to replace PD. No wonder she's so fucking chirpy.

• Love 10

I've Always wondered how much Justin/Chandra made compared to how much Patrick/Ellen/Sandra. That article was pretty pointless considering Patricks salary has been reported while he was on the show and just multiple it by how many episodes in a season.

Radar online says Patrick Dempsey was fired, according to "a source close to the situation" (totally not Shonda):

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/patrick-dempsey-fired-bad-behavior-greys-anatomy-set/

1.  Note the "Entertainment Network" at the top of the site includes National Enquirer and Star which are both well-known tabloids that publish nothing but false and unsubstantiated garbage.

2.  It's pretty much the exact same article as this one:  http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2015/04/patrick-dempsey-fired-from-greys-anatomy-for-poor-work-ethic-unp/  The 2 articles are practically carbon copies of each other.

Consider the sources/media outlets that the Patrick bashing is coming from.  None of the sources are documented and none of the media outlets have even the slightest reputation for good, honest reporting.

• Love 5

And, it's virtually identical to the first Page Six article.  I think it is safe to say the rest are copied from that and there really is only once source with initial reporting on that story (to be trusted or not, I'm not getting at that).  Meaning that there is not a concerted effort to "leak" to various sources, if you will.  Just typical internet plagerism by cheap sites.

• Love 3

Better yet, cancel the show! 

Not before you get your zombies, @AnitaM86! Kill all characters, then do a big huge finale with a Zombie Apocalypse, no more actors to pay, no more angry fans to deal with.

• Love 2

The ratings were still really good for this episode.  The A18-49 rating was a 2.6 for the 8-10p block, with the two hours being 2.5 and 2.6.  The second hour growing is a great sign.  This was also only down 7% from last week, which was obviously expected.  Total viewers was 8.7 million, the highest since episode 2 back in Oct.

Unfortunately, while the ratings held up this week, I don't think this episode did the show any favors.  I fully expect next week to be back in the 2.1-2.3 range (which, is still really good for an 11 year show).  

• Love 1

That seems to be damning with faint praise. "For an 11 year show"? 

There aren't even 10 network shows this season with a higher low than Grey's Anatomy's 1.9.

• Love 1

Half hour breakdowns:

8:00 p.m.
ABC – Grey’s Anatomy
Viewers: 8.94 million (#2), A18-49: 2.6/10 (#1)

8:30 p.m.
ABC – Grey’s Anatomy
Viewers: 8.42 million (#2), A18-49: 2.4/ 8 (#1)

9:00 p.m.
ABC – Grey’s Anatomy
Viewers: 8.56 million (#2), A18-49: 2.6/ 8 (#1)

9:30 pm
ABC – Grey’s Anatomy
Viewers: 8.79 million (#1), A18-49: 2.7/ 8 (#1)

I really thought there would be a lot of people tuning out after the funeral scenes, the people that came back last week to see the big episode & returned just to see the funeral. I'd bet ABC is pretty happy with these numbers. People stayed with the show the whole way through and the 9pm hour hit Scandal-like numbers.

• Love 1
I really thought there would be a lot of people tuning out after the funeral scenes,

I was expecting the opposite, actually.The "After Death" episodes tend to be pretty popular, so I did believe they were going to stay the entire two hours. I haven't read positive reviews of the episode but at least, they tuned in. 

I think that they'll ride on with similar numbers until the SF. Perhaps the real change will happen in S12. 

Season 12 will depend what they give us in the finale, in my opinion. Some may not like Maggie - confession, I like her a lot, so I may be biased - but the implications of Maggie's existence were a good pull for the next year. 

I believe they need to do something to give the Calzona fans hope in the finale. Also set up something interesting for Jackson & April, as well as Alex & Jo - maybe go ahead and lay more groundwork for a situation where Alex moves away from Jo & towards Maggie.

Debbie Allen To Serve As Executive Producer/Director On ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

Way to dodge Internet hate, Grey's.  Go from Shonda, who just pissed off most of the Internet, to the woman who went on record defending Bill Cosby.

Heh. Also, although it's anonymous and thus suspect, check out the comment on that article from someone named "Hell no!"

Hell no! • on May 5, 2015 6:35 pm
As an experienced camera operator in this town, I can honestly say that I would rather pull out all of my teeth, *without anesthesia*, than ever work with Debbie Allen – again. Unfortunately, she believes all the hype about herself. The reality is, she’s surrounded by incredibly talented crew members who make her look competent. Camera operators don’t get paid to direct the talent because the director is busy being a diva…..We get paid to shoot the talent in the scene that’s being directed by a guild director. Actors should act, directors should direct. Period.
  • Love 3

It seems like Grey's is directed by actors more often than by people who are directors by trade.  I wonder what Kevin McKidd and Chandra Wilson's reputations are as directors.

I never wondered until now how they're going to get around Catherine living in Boston and Richard living in Seattle.  Maybe Mama Avery will usurp her son.  The Chief certainly isn't leaving, and I have a hard time imagining her not being the boss of everybody.

• Love 1

Grey's has several executive producers. She'll probably produce a few along with directing (which she's already been doing).

It seems like Grey's is directed by actors more often than by people who are directors by trade.  I wonder what Kevin McKidd and Chandra Wilson's reputations are as directors.

I don't think its odd to have long time actors on the show directing some episodes. Many seem to have actors producing or directing an episode here and there.

• Love 1

Debbie Allen transformed A Different World from a silly little spinoff into a gem of a show that impacted real change in the black community so I can't be upset about her promotion. She also won several Emmys (and was nominated for best actress 4 times) for Fame. So she certainly has the experience to back this up.

• Love 1

Down to a normal-this-season 2.2 last night. But that was where Scandal was too, and Grey's has the more competitive (Big Bang Theory) timeslot so it's still looking strong.

• Love 4

Down to a normal-this-season 2.2 last night. But that was where Scandal was too, and Grey's has the more competitive (Big Bang Theory) timeslot so it's still looking strong.

Agree.  these "headline grabbing" articles of the demise are driving me nuts.  This is a total normal level for Grey's and still really really good at that.  

• Love 4

I can't believe how much Scandal has dropped. Grey's looks good in comparison.
  • Love 2
(edited)

Agree.  these "headline grabbing" articles of the demise are driving me nuts.  This is a total normal level for Grey's and still really really good at that.  

Agree. And it was against the BBT finale last night.

ETA:

Last night continued with the yearlong pattern of being about .3 off from last year:

2014 Episode 23:

2.5 demo, 7.95 million total viewers

2015 Episode 24:

2.2 demo, 7.88 million total viewers

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
(edited)

Agree.  these "headline grabbing" articles of the demise are driving me nuts.  This is a total normal level for Grey's and still really really good at that.

Exactly!  Of course the numbers are down after a temporary blip upwards for two weeks because of the hugeness of losing Dempsey.  Yet, they went back to the basically the average for the season.

Time will tell next year.  Someday, the show will be gone, but that day won't be until, at the earliest, Spring of 2016. Lots of folks have been hoping/thinking/rooting for next season to be the last long before Dempsey was dumped.  I guarantee you now, no matter when the show is cancelled, it will be "see, the show died without Dempsey"!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4
(edited)

Agree, the headlines are clickbait, which isn't really anything new except this week Grey's is the subject. I also agree that there was a spike for a character death (common) and that the numbers are back to being on par with the season. 

I do think that the show will lose some viewers. They do each season and they do after each character departure. I do not believe that it will be nearly as significant as some are hoping for/expecting. Even if the ratings drop its doubtful they would drop to TGW level low. ABC has struggled with the 8pm slot for years & even a lower rated GA would still likely be better than what they've tried in the past. Add that they are now selling the TGIT block which has been successful and even a lower rated Grey's would contribute to the overall night.

Some perspective - here are the demo ratings for the dramas this week, Sunday through Thursday. Even with the 0.1 adjustment Grey's is the #2 drama on television this week and almost double many of the others.

Sunday:
OUAT: 1.7
Madam Secretary: 1.0
Secrets & Lies: 1.8
AD: 1.1
The Good Wife: 0.9
Revenge: 1.2
Battle Creek: 0.7
American Odyssey: 0.5

Monday:
Gotham: 1.7
The Originals: 0.5
The Following: 1.1
Jane The Virgin: 0.5
Castle: 1.4
The Night Shift: 1.3

Tuesday:
The Flash: 1.4

Marvel Agents of Shield: 1.5
iZombie: 0.6
Chicago Fire: 1.6
Person of Interest: 1.1
Forever: 1.1

Wednesday:
The Mysteries of Laura: 0.9

Criminal Minds: 1.8
Law & Order SVU: 1.2
Chicago PD: 1.4
Nashville: 1.3
CSI Cyber: 1.2

Thursday:
Grey's Anatomy: 2.1

Bones: 1.1
The Vampire Diaries: 0.6
Law & Order SVU (Repeat): 0.6
Scandal: 2.2
The Blacklist: 1.4
Reign: 0.3
Elementary: 1.1
American Crime: 1.0

Someday, the show will be gone, but that day won't be until, at the earliest, Spring of 2016

Agree. I don't think it will be spring 2016 unless Shonda wants to end it. If her ego is anywhere near as big as claimed then I think she will want it to continue and try to match or beat ER.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

I had no idea how much better Grey's did than all the other shows. Hell, we're going to be watching Grey's with the grandkids as Zola becomes an intern if they keep it up.

I bet ABC is fine with the attention-grabbing, baity, let's make it a controversy headlines. The show hasn't had so many headlines and so much discussion since Katherine Heigl left.

• Love 2
(edited)

If her ego is anywhere near as big as claimed then I think she will want it to continue and try to match or beat ER.

This is assuming Ellen signs on for more after her contract runs out next season, and for however long. Shonda can kill or send off any other character, but there is no show without Meredith Grey. Yes, it's an ensemble, but especially now after all the post-Derek talk with how this is about MEREDITH and MEREDITH'S JOURNEY, Shondaland is basically reiterating that this is Meredith's show. No Ellen, no Meredith. No Meredith, no Grey's. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
Agree. I don't think it will be spring 2016 unless Shonda wants to end it. If her ego is anywhere near as big as claimed then I think she will want it to continue and try to match or beat ER.

I think that certainly ABC will push it until they can given the success that TGIT brand is having. They will certainly milk it until they can but a lot will also depend on whether EP wants to go on (which is almost a given), but I tend to believe that they will manage to attempt to go on as long as they can.

No Ellen, no Meredith. No Meredith, no Grey's.

The hospital is now named "Grey's Sloan Denny Died Here Memorial", so they can try to rebrand EP's departure into the story of the hospital and so on. 

The show hasn't had so many headlines and so much discussion since Katherine Heigl left.

Sad that that is the only way they can get the show talked about. 

• Love 3