Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

She’s really not shy to slate her former costars.. or pat herself on the back. While I don’t disagree there’s been a lot of egos and drama over the years I sometimes think hers was the biggest of all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I used to really like EP, but she's making it more and more difficult all the time.  Even comments about how she hasn't been creatively challenged in a long time, so she focuses on accomplishments behind the scenes.  Way to admit the show has been sucking lately.

For as much as she is all about reminding us that it is her show all about her, I would say that for many seasons, she was one of the more expendable roles.  

Ellen's been dragging the show's quality and reputation down with her greed. She has more than enough money to support her children and family. If she hasn't been challenged creatively all these years then why continue to do it? GA could've went out with a satisfying ending for the majority of beloved characters and couples - including MerDer, but she chose to feed her ego instead. 

Despite being the show's namesake, Meredith Grey was never as much of a lead as say Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating. The show has always been an ensemble. Meredith was only as good as the people around her, which is why she used to be a much better character than she is now. And Ellen clearly wasn't a great supposed-leader all those years if she let things get so toxic. She is part of the problem. 

• Love 8

My guess is that to keep "Derek" on the show, when he was also doing movies, it costs extra to persuade him to do that.    Was he a bigger celebrity than Pompeo was at the beginning of the show?    However, admitting that you only do the show for money, and really don't care about anything else, is not going to make me want to tune in every week.   

I really agree that glasses should go to be with his friend, and written off.  Casey Parker is so much more entertaining, and I would like to see another person in training for a few seasons, just the way the original group of interns were in the first seasons. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Was he a bigger celebrity than Pompeo was at the beginning of the show? 

Absolutely! He had Sweet Home Alabama under his belt when Grey’s Anatomy began.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

He’d also had Can’t Buy Me Love back in the 80s that he was known for. 

From the sound of the article as well as other tweets of hers, it sounds like a lot of the creative decisions of the show -onstage and off- has been to show that women are as powerful and capable as men. Which if it were well done would be one thing, but so many of the stories have been so clunky.

(edited)
19 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

17 hours ago, deaja said:

He’d also had Can’t Buy Me Love back in the 80s that he was known for. 

True, but he wasn’t the lead in Sweet Home Alabama.   He was more or less a has been and the role was considered the first step in a comeback attempt.   It was Greys that really put him back on the map. 

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 6

Ms. Pompeo refers to the “strong group of women” driving the show.  You’ve got to be kidding me.  With the notable exception of Catherine and Bailey (who, is strong when the script isn’t turning her into a flibbertygibbet), the female doctors are children.  Starting with the most childish of them all, Maggie.  I can sort of handle Jo and there’s been a mild improvement in post-tumor Amelia, but these are not women I want operating on my brain or my heart, I don’t care how amazing they are as surgeons.  I don’t think I have to point out examples of their childishness.

I would never condone a toxic work environment but the show was much better while “toxic” than it is now.  They ran off good, complex characters, shuffled other good characters to the sidelines and ended up with this bunch of twits.  

• Love 5
(edited)

For all the complaints... the fans seems to continue loving what Ellen and Krista are delivering. TVLine just put together the rating stats for the 2018/2019 TV season, including Live+7 DVR playback data, and it's incredibly impressive. It's not surprising that ABC granted them a 2-year renewal. 

The top 10 shows overall by demo: 

1 - NBC Sunday Night Football, NBC (5.9, no change)
2 - Thursday Night Football, Fox (4.4, +3% vs. CBS/NBC avg.)
3 - This Is Us, NBC (3.8, -30%) * 
4 - The Big Bang Theory, CBS (3.8, -14%) * 
5 - The Masked Singer, Fox (3.8, NA)
6 - The OT, Fox (3.3, -11%)
7 - Grey’s Anatomy, ABC (2.9, -12%) * 
8 - Manifest, NBC (2.8, NA) * 
9 - Young Sheldon, CBS (2.6, -21%) * 
10 - The Good Doctor, ABC (2.5, -26%) * 

* = Scripted

Grey's finished season 15 as ABC's #1 series and the #2 drama on all of broadcast, behind only This Is Us. It was the #3 scripted series overall behind only This Is Us and The Big Bang Theory.

This Is Us was down 30% season-to-season, Big Bang was down 14% (boosted by the huge finale numbers) and The Good Doctor was down 26%... Grey's was only down 12%. It had the lowest season-to-season decline of any scripted series in the top 10. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

For all the complaints... the fans seems to continue loving what Ellen and Krista are delivering. TVLine just put together the rating stats for the 2018/2019 TV season, including Live+7 DVR playback data, and it's incredibly impressive. It's not surprising that ABC granted them a 2-year renewal. 

The top 10 shows overall by demo: 

1 - NBC Sunday Night Football, NBC (5.9, no change)
2 - Thursday Night Football, Fox (4.4, +3% vs. CBS/NBC avg.)
3 - This Is Us, NBC (3.8, -30%) * 
4 - The Big Bang Theory, CBS (3.8, -14%) * 
5 - The Masked Singer, Fox (3.8, NA)
6 - The OT, Fox (3.3, -11%)
7 - Grey’s Anatomy, ABC (2.9, -12%) * 
8 - Manifest, NBC (2.8, NA) * 
9 - Young Sheldon, CBS (2.6, -21%) * 
10 - The Good Doctor, ABC (2.5, -26%) * 

* = Scripted

Grey's finished season 15 as ABC's #1 series and the #2 drama on all of broadcast, behind only This Is Us. It was the #3 scripted series overall behind only This Is Us and The Big Bang Theory.

This Is Us was down 30% season-to-season, Big Bang was down 14% (boosted by the huge finale numbers) and The Good Doctor was down 26%... Grey's was only down 12%. It had the lowest season-to-season decline of any scripted series in the top 10. 

I make no apologies. I love EP and I love that she is outspoken. I know! How dare *gasp!* a woman and the lead of the show no less -- tell it like it is behind the scenes.??? How dare she!

Ellen has been there since the beginning and she can certainly tell us a thing or two what it was really like in the early years. As well as now. I like that she and Shonda decided to take matters into their own hands and make things (the work environment) a more welcoming place to be.

And let us not forget some of the shenanigans that have taken place over the years (from IW to KH etc-- the most recent being Patrick Dempsey.) He and his wife split-- rumors of his infidelity were all over the news. EP and Dempsey's wife were/are friends in real life and the fact that she stated that she hasn't spoken to him since 2015 ??? hm? I wonder why? 

I am thinking Ellen Pompeo knows a lot of little secrets/gossip/actual events that have happened behind the scenes over the years. If she should ever write a tell-all book--- I would so read that shit!

• Love 6
On 6/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, deaja said:

I used to really like EP, but she's making it more and more difficult all the time.  Even comments about how she hasn't been creatively challenged in a long time, so she focuses on accomplishments behind the scenes.  Way to admit the show has been sucking lately.

This is kind of taking her quote out of context, though. She was saying that when it comes to acting, she hasn't really be challenged in the role of Meredith for a few years - which is fair. She's played the part for over a decade, and Meredith doesn't get extremely challenging storylines anymore. When she talked about focusing on goals behind-the-scenes, that means many things: 1) the quality of the series, as she's taken on a hands-on role the past several years, and 2) the work environment. She's focused on keeping the series great, evolving, having important things to say, etc. Just not so much on challenging Meredith's character / herself as an actress. Which is fine. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, BaseOps said:

This is kind of taking her quote out of context, though. She was saying that when it comes to acting, she hasn't really be challenged in the role of Meredith for a few years - which is fair. She's played the part for over a decade, and Meredith doesn't get extremely challenging storylines anymore. When she talked about focusing on goals behind-the-scenes, that means many things: 1) the quality of the series, as she's taken on a hands-on role the past several years, and 2) the work environment. She's focused on keeping the series great, evolving, having important things to say, etc. Just not so much on challenging Meredith's character / herself as an actress. Which is fine. 

And directing. I believe I read somewhere that she had directed at least one ep?

I love her lisp. It's adorable. I love that she is a successful, strong, outspoken woman. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

ABC Eyeing Weekly Grey's/Station 19 Crossovers — Here's Why That's a Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Idea

I hadn't realized this was being discussed, but I really hope they don't go ahead with it. I'm struggling to care about what happens on Grey's Anatomy as it is without a bunch of random characters from another show popping in regularly to insert their own drama.

Ew, no. I have nothing against spinoffs, but they need to be able to stand on their own ground. I was possibly one of the few people who watched Angel and loathed every time they trotted one of the Buffy people over for a cursory scene. They were really bad about it in season 1 of Angel. Thankfully, they cut way back on it from season 2 onward. And now Grey's wants to do MORE? Ugh.

• Love 3

Nope!

I actually like Station 19 but crossovers should not be happening weekly. What's the point of them being separate shows?

Ben can go back and forth through Bailey but the rest need to held back unless it's an obligatory mass casualties incident or a "it's one of our own" firefighter injury. Like an any other self-respecting medical/first responder drama 😁

• Love 1
4 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

ABC Eyeing Weekly Grey's/Station 19 Crossovers — Here's Why That's a Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Idea

I hadn't realized this was being discussed, but I really hope they don't go ahead with it. I'm struggling to care about what happens on Grey's Anatomy as it is without a bunch of random characters from another show popping in regularly to insert their own drama.

That will NOT make me watch Station 19. I will just flip the channel if they do weekly crossovers.

• Love 3

GA is sticking around for two more seasons because Ellen is greedy and the network needs it to help keep Station 19 afloat, thus securing a solid 2 hours of programming a week. 

Not because the show is peaking creatively, or any other reason of quality that should matter in storytelling. 

• Love 2

what I don’t understand with the notion of the weekly crossover plan is how it impacts aftermarket viewing. 

I think almost every one on the show acknowledges the power of the show being on Netflix and picking up new and younger viewers all the time through that. When you start putting a part of the story on another show, that in my opinion is never going to get to the same aftermarket, aren’t you risking losing all those new viewers to confusion in relatively short order?

• Love 3

The other problem with crossovers is that different shows have different sets of writers even though they exist in the same universe, and if you don't like the way the other show is written, you're going to resent having to go there to see what happens with a character that you like. I will never watch Station 19 after seeing that last crossover, and in the Arrowverse, the annual crossovers have become a thing I dread rather than look forward to.

This seems like a lot of arrogance to me, assuming that both shows are equally good and appeal to the same audience. The ratings should indicate that that's not true.

• Love 2

I hated Private Practice, but endured the first few crossover episodes to see how the Grey's story played out. Then I stopped. I didn't care enough about the Grey's episode to watch a show that I didn't enjoy.  Same with Station 19 - when the show debuted, I tried it.  I didn't like it so I never bothered watching those halves of the crossovers.

If they continue to use Grey's to push Station 19 down our throats, I may quit Grey's for good.

18 hours ago, deaja said:

I hated Private Practice, but endured the first few crossover episodes to see how the Grey's story played out. Then I stopped. I didn't care enough about the Grey's episode to watch a show that I didn't enjoy.  Same with Station 19 - when the show debuted, I tried it.  I didn't like it so I never bothered watching those halves of the crossovers.

If they continue to use Grey's to push Station 19 down our throats, I may quit Grey's for good.

Sometimes I wonder if that's what ABC is trying to do, I think they are getting to the point to where: "How is show still on the air because it's getting expensive for us."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, readster said:

Sometimes I wonder if that's what ABC is trying to do, I think they are getting to the point to where: "How is show still on the air because it's getting expensive for us."

But it obviously still generates enough money (profit) to have it renewed for 2 more seasons. ABC is a business. Period. The bottom line is all that counts. And most businesses that I know of do NOT self sabotage/self implode themselves. It's not good for the bottom line aka profits.

• Love 2

SpoilerTV reports with with Live+7 (aka DVR playback for 7 days), Grey's moves up to the #2 scripted series on all of broadcast for premiere week, tied with 9-1-1 and just behind This Is Us. It is ABC's #1 program, scripted or otherwise. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, funnygirl said:

Ellen's been dragging the show's quality and reputation down with her greed. She has more than enough money to support her children and family. If she hasn't been challenged creatively all these years then why continue to do it? GA could've went out with a satisfying ending for the majority of beloved characters and couples - including MerDer, but she chose to feed her ego instead. 

Despite being the show's namesake, Meredith Grey was never as much of a lead as say Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating. The show has always been an ensemble. Meredith was only as good as the people around her, which is why she used to be a much better character than she is now. And Ellen clearly wasn't a great supposed-leader all those years if she let things get so toxic. She is part of the problem. 

Would you quit your job if they just kept throwing money at you?  Seriously?

I actually loved Private Practice and I have found myself liking Station 19 more as time goes by.  If they entwine the storylines it won't make a huge difference to me as these are actually two of the few network shows that I watch.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Would you quit your job if they just kept throwing money at you?  Seriously?

Especially since actors don't get 401K retirement plans, as they're essentially contract workers. So I don't blame them for sticking it out with a high paying gig for as long as they can, because once that's over, who's to say if they get a job that pays even remotely that well ever again? 

• Love 1

I suspect that Ellen has made enough in 16 years on this show that she doesn't need to work again other the occasional guest starring role.

It seems like she's not interested in stretching herself any more dramatically or moving into directing or producing.  Unlike Stephen Amell who said that after seven seasons he had taken his character as far as he can and hung up his quiver, Ellen seems to be happy just sitting where she is for as long as they'll pay her.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I suspect that Ellen has made enough in 16 years on this show that she doesn't need to work again other the occasional guest starring role.

It seems like she's not interested in stretching herself any more dramatically or moving into directing or producing.  Unlike Stephen Amell who said that after seven seasons he had taken his character as far as he can and hung up his quiver, Ellen seems to be happy just sitting where she is for as long as they'll pay her.

What about the dude who plays Alex? hell! he practically phones it in week after week.

This show is a gravy train for many of the actors -- why shouldn't they collect as long as they can?

• Love 3

Plus, as long as the show is in syndication, they’ll be making $$ for a long time.

Larry Linville hung up Frank Burns on M*A*S*H because he know Frank had gone as far as he could go. There was nothing more for him to bring to the table. Enter Charles Emerson Winchester, which breathed new life into the show.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Ellen directed an episode in season 13 and another in season 14, so I'm not sure how she isn't interested in 'stretching' herself. She also has a production company, Calamity Jane, which has sold several projects to ABC, and she's a producer on Grey's Anatomy. She's also said she's still around because she likes that Grey's inspires girls to become doctors and touches on subjects that are important to her, which as a producer she's been able to push for. She's not exactly just sitting there collecting a check.

In terms of money... she won't need to do anything after Grey's ends. She's pulling in over $20 per year at this point between her $575,000 per episode, back end, and producing fees. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

Strange choice: Grey's is moving back to 9pm in January. ABCs new TGIT lineup will be:

8pm: Station 19

9pm: Grey's Anatomy

10pm: A Million Little Things/HTGAWM (returns in April)

I mean, I get why. I'm not a fan of having to alter my entire Thursday TV schedule because of this change. 

No matter what they do with Station 19, people still aren't going to watch it, before or after Grey's. Grey's ratings will still be decent, but they might slip in the 9pm slot (but they'll always be higher than Station 19). Grey's works better in the 8pm slot, I think, but I get why they swapped timeslots. 

• Love 1

Nice try Krista/ABC, I'm still not going to watch Station 19.

The swap is yet another attempt to get Grey's viewers to watch Station 19. I'm sure some do, but this is obviously a ratings stunt. If Krista wasn't stuck on CougarMer, she could've facilitated a relationship between Meredith and one of the firefighting fellas.  After all, she is "the sun" - if people are to be so invested in her romantic entanglements, might as well try to let the other show benefit from it. 

Oh well. The many missed opportunities of this show continues... 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

The swap is yet another attempt to get Grey's viewers to watch Station 19. I'm sure some do, but this is obviously a ratings stunt. If Krista wasn't stuck on CougarMer, she could've facilitated a relationship between Meredith and one of the firefighting fellas.  After all, she is "the sun" - if people are to be so invested in her romantic entanglements, might as well try to let the other show benefit from it. 

Which is dumb because people are just going to tune in later to watch Grey's. I know that they attempted S19 after Grey's, which was S19's best ways of getting better ratings but obviously that attempt failed. Trying it in the 8pm slot before Grey's is even less likely to work. It didn't work when they had Grey's before S19; nobody tuned in to the conclusion of any of the crossovers. So I think people will be just fine with missing the introduction and catching the conclusion of the crossovers, since they'll clearly have a "Previously on S19/Grey's Anatomy" segment.

Basically, nice try, Krista and Karey Burke. But this schedule shift isn't going to raise S19's ratings. 

I'll tune in to another network for 8pm before I tune in to S19. What they just did, though, was make my Thursday TV schedule a bit more difficult to plan out. 

• Love 1

The thing is... Station 19 isn't a flop. Not even close. In fact, it does quite well. Last season the low was 0.8, but it went as high as 1.3. No ABC drama, aside from Grey's, has gone above a 1.0 so far this season. Most shows are lucky to hit an 0.8, much less call it their low. Also: the crossovers did work. The windstorm last year ticked S19 up from a 1.0 to a 1.2 week-to-week, and the last crossover of the season ticked up from an 0.8 to a 1.2, a pretty significant jump. 

Which is why putting the show BEFORE Grey's doesn't make much sense if they're trying to attract more viewers. Thursday at 8 is an infamously tough slot - it actually kind of speaks to ABCs confidence in Station 19. Ratings will take a hit (everything has this year, as usual) but they must have faith that it will remain a steady performer. I imagine it's a majorly creative choice: Krista mentioned wanting to introduce situations on S19 (someone is injured) and then follow-up on Grey's (they visit GSM) in a way that didn't require audiences to view the other episode, but also allowed fans of both shows to follow stories through 2 hours. 

What will be more interesting to see is if being at 9 helps or hurts the live viewing for Grey's.

• Useful 4

Veroff spoke to Deadline. Regarding the crossovers: 

The two shows will interconnect “every few episodes,” she added. “We don’t want to do it every week, we don’t want to create a mold, we don’t want to fall into any kind of pattern, we don’t want people to ever know what to expect. We have found many different, really quite exciting and fun ways to interact between the two shows.”

“We have got big casts from both shows and natural ways for them to interact with each other,” Vernoff said. “It’s always really fun when we find ways to bring the Grey’s characters onto Station 19 and vice versa. It feels like our worlds have grown and the possibilities for storytelling have grown.”

“With Station 19 airing at 8 o’clock and Grey’s Anatomy airing at 9 o’clock there are very organic opportunities for Grey’s Anatomy to, for example, inherit patients we see rescued on Station 19,” she said.

“Ever since Station 19 premiered, in the writers room we always thought the better progression was from firefighters to the hospital,” she said. “I didn’t think it was going to happen but I was thrilled ABC had made the decision. I literally cheered when they let me know that. It’s really exciting and opens up the storytelling.”

Regarding what the time slot change means for the show: 

Vernoff also is happy about Grey’s Anatomy’s return to the Thursday 9 PM slot where it had aired for eight seasons before it was moved to the 8 PM time period in fall 2014 to anchor TGIT. There are significant limitations on adult content from 8-9 PM, which is designated as a family viewing hour.

“There are different rules for a 9 PM show than there are for an 8 PM show, and we hope to take advantage of those rules,” Vernoff said. “Grey’s was definitely allowed to be a sexier show when it was on at 9 o’clock. So we are excited by the change back to our original (Thursday) time slot.”

Edited by BaseOps

I don't even watch Station 19 crossover episodes. I don't really care how the stories end up enough to watch that drek. I tried it when it first aired, and my love and admiration of Ben could not make up for the horrible plotting.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, BaseOps said:

The thing is... Station 19 isn't a flop. Not even close. In fact, it does quite well. Last season the low was 0.8, but it went as high as 1.3. No ABC drama, aside from Grey's, has gone above a 1.0 so far this season. Most shows are lucky to hit an 0.8, much less call it their low. Also: the crossovers did work. The windstorm last year ticked S19 up from a 1.0 to a 1.2 week-to-week, and the last crossover of the season ticked up from an 0.8 to a 1.2, a pretty significant jump. 

Which is why putting the show BEFORE Grey's doesn't make much sense if they're trying to attract more viewers. Thursday at 8 is an infamously tough slot - it actually kind of speaks to ABCs confidence in Station 19. Ratings will take a hit (everything has this year, as usual) but they must have faith that it will remain a steady performer. I imagine it's a majorly creative choice: Krista mentioned wanting to introduce situations on S19 (someone is injured) and then follow-up on Grey's (they visit GSM) in a way that didn't require audiences to view the other episode, but also allowed fans of both shows to follow stories through 2 hours. 

What will be more interesting to see is if being at 9 helps or hurts the live viewing for Grey's.

I actually like Station 19.  I was slow to warm up to it but once I started watching it more regularly I really liked the characters, and I like the episodes where the storylines are carried over between shows.

• Love 2