Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

Sarah is as classy and genuine as I’ve come to expect from her but she wasn’t bullshitting in that interview. This was incredibly honest and raw. I hope for the absolute best for her and it does sound like she’s genuinely excited for what’s ahead.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Sara Ramirez has commented on Shondas claims that they tried to get her for Arizonas send off and Couldn't because she was with CBS.

https://tvline.com/2018/09/26/greys-anatomy-sara-ramirez-return-callie-season-15/

I believe that she was invited back last season, if not they wouldn't have resorted to having Callie send Arizona a text message. And I never believed Shonda's claim that CBS said no because Johnny Galecki of Big Bang Theory fame was able to film an episode of Roseanne (for those unaware: BBT is on CBS, Roseanne was on ABC). His character on BBT is a lead vs. Sara's character on Madam Secretary who is about as revered as the new interns on Grey's. 

Maybe Shonda was trying to save face and not throw Sara under the bus. And maybe CBS isn't too happy with Sara for letting them take the fall. 

I dunno, but it doesn't matter at this point. Callie's not coming back without Arizona. They pretty much closed out both of their stories in the season finale. It's just too bad Sara wasn't there, for whatever reason, to be a part of it. 

3 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

I believe that she was invited back last season, if not they wouldn't have resorted to having Callie send Arizona a text message. And I never believed Shonda's claim that CBS said no because Johnny Galecki of Big Bang Theory fame was able to film an episode of Roseanne (for those unaware: BBT is on CBS, Roseanne was on ABC). His character on BBT is a lead vs. Sara's character on Madam Secretary who is about as revered as the new interns on Grey's. 

Maybe Shonda was trying to save face and not throw Sara under the bus. And maybe CBS isn't too happy with Sara for letting them take the fall. 

I dunno, but it doesn't matter at this point. Callie's not coming back without Arizona. They pretty much closed out both of their stories in the season finale. It's just too bad Sara wasn't there, for whatever reason, to be a part of it. 

But Sara implied that she wasn’t asked. She said the ball was now in their court. So I don’t know how to infer that she was asked and refused. I took it as she was never asked but Shonda and Krista didn’t want crap from the calzona fandom so they said cbs wouldn’t let her, which seems like a dumb thing to do as well. 

I do agree, there’s no place for callie anymore. All of her people are gone. 

• Love 1

Grey's did a 1.6 in the demo last week, making it the #2 series on ABC (beat only by The Conners at a 1.8) and the #2 drama on all of broadcast, bested only by This Is Us at a 2.1 demo. Essentially, Grey's could outlive all of us if Ellen decided to keep going. For reference, some other series demos last week: 

911 - 1.4 / New Amsterdam - 1.3 / Chicago Fire - 1.2 / Modern Family - 1.2 / Empire - 1.2 / The Good Doctor - 1.0 / The Resident - 1.0 / Station 19 - 0.9 / A Million Little Things 0.8 / Will & Grace - 0.8 / How to Get Away with Murder - 0.8 

• Love 2

Grey's held the 1.6 demo from last week and with both This Is Us and The Conners off for election coverage on Tuesday night, that makes it the #1 drama on all of broadcast and the #1 series on ABC all week. It's incredible how so many news shows have fallen massively from last year (The Good Doctor, Will & Grace) to go below Grey's, and even the series' that started off strong this season (Manifest) are now well below Grey's demo. Empire, which just a few years ago was by far the highest-rated series on TV in the demo by miles, is below Grey's, too (it did a 1.2 last week and bounced back to a 1.5 this week). Modern Family is at a 1.4, Manifest is down to a 1.2, 911 is down to a 1.2, The Good Doctor is down to a 1.0, and even formerly-steady procedurals (which generally retain viewers well because they're easy to pop into) are dropping massively; Criminal Minds is down to an 0.7 and Law & Order is at an 0.9. 

Somewhere the head of ABC is probably drafting an insane offer to keep Ellen on Grey's through season 30... 

Last night, the fall finale did a 1.7 demo: that's down only 0.1 from the fall finale last season (insane). It's the #1 series on ABC, pulling ahead of The Conners (down to a 1.5 this week) and the #2 drama on all of broadcast, only 0.3 behind This Is Us (which was at a 2.0 this week, versus a 2.6 on the same week last year). It also helped boost Station 19 to a 1.2, ahead of the 1.1 that Scandal did on the same night last year. On CBS, The Big Bang Theory is also down 0.3 from last year (2.3 versus 2.6). 

Comparatively, some other dramas this week: 

Empire: 1.5 

NCIS: 1.4

Chicago Fire: 1.3

Chicago Med: 1.2

Manifest: 1.1

New Amsterdam: 1.1

Chicago PD: 1.0

The Good Doctor: 1.0 

How To Get Away with Murder: 0.8

Criminal Minds: 0.7

The Rookie: 0.7

• Love 1

Is Season 30, when Zola Grey-Shepard takes over as the head of general surgery, at Grey-Sloan-Webber-Bailey-O'Malley-Shepard-Fox-Medical Center after being the first medical student to win the Harper Avery Award (or whatever they call it now) four years in a row, and the Nobel Prize?     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I’ve never been an Ellen fan, sorry.  Did she inadvertently confirm she has a big role in cast changes? 

Meredith was the least interesting person in the original ensemble cast.  Always thought Patrick Dempsey made her a Star.   I fast forward through a lot of the drivel to keep tabs on Karev, Richard, Catherine, Bailey.   

• Love 4
On 11/21/2018 at 8:49 AM, Ravello said:

I’ve never been an Ellen fan, sorry.  Did she inadvertently confirm she has a big role in cast changes? 

By calling for more diversity? I'm a little confused and trying to understand.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:49 AM, Ravello said:

Meredith was the least interesting person in the original ensemble cast.  Always thought Patrick Dempsey made her a Star.

Ah, yes. A man must always receive credit when a woman achieves something. I mean, where would us po' women folk be without the men to help us?

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 8

By calling for more diversity? I'm a little confused and trying to understand.

Diversity is great but as a person of color myself, I'd still prefer the characters that I've grown attached to. Grey's Anatomy is not new to cutting off character's and it just gets frustrating when the cast keeps on changing. Like not everything relates to diversity/racism, people are upset with recast's because characters that we've grown accustomed to are replaced by newer ones. Is there something wrong with that? lol

On 11/27/2018 at 1:29 PM, PepSinger said:

Ah, yes. A man must always receive credit when a woman achieves something. I mean, where would us po' women folk be without the men to help us?

I mean I get what you're trying to say but it is possible to dislike a character who happens to be a woman that is not based on her gender. Like literally, the person was saying she was uninteresting not that "she SUCKS cause she's a woman." Like while I don't think that Derek was the "STAR" of the show, I don't think Meredith really deserved that title either because her character has always been very dull at least to me. My all time favorite character is probably Christina or Bailey. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Emerly said:

I mean I get what you're trying to say but it is possible to dislike a character who happens to be a woman that is not based on her gender. Like literally, the person was saying she was uninteresting not that "she SUCKS cause she's a woman." Like while I don't think that Derek was the "STAR" of the show, I don't think Meredith really deserved that title either because her character has always been very dull at least to me. My all time favorite character is probably Christina or Bailey. 

Who the star of the show is has nothing to do with anyone's opinion about any character. The name of the show is Grey's Anatomy. Ellen's character is Meredith Grey. To say she isn't the star or lead of the show is inaccurate. 

Also, my point wasn't about disliking a character because of a gender nor is that what the OP said. I thought I made my point very clear, but I'll explain it again. To say that "Patrick Dempsey made her (Ellen) a star" (direct quote) flat out removes any and all agency from Ellen Pompeo. That is saying she didn't do anything to contribute to her success. That is not accurate. That is not fair. It's insulting to give credit to man for a woman's achievement, and I stand by that belief.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Season 2 was 27 episodes.

I don't know if that counts, though. The first five episodes of season 2 were held over from season 1 by the network.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:31 AM, PepSinger said:

Why??

Because it's the #1 show on the network, surpassing both The Conners and Modern Family, and it makes them boatloads of money both internationally and in streaming. I imagine they likely ran it by Krista; it will probably result in a 2-hour finale. Or a special double-episode before the finale sometime in May. 

On 1/13/2019 at 5:59 PM, transitfan said:

Is that a record?  I don't recall any previous seasons with more than 24, but I could be mistaken.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Season 2 was 27 episodes. Season 3 also had 25 episodes. 

Season 11 ended up being extended and had 25 episodes, as well. 

• Love 1

One of the additional episodes will be a standalone episode for a much underused character. JK, it's more Amelia.

Once Vernoff signed off on the extra hour, it didn’t take long for her to settle on the Amelia of it all. “I had an extra standalone episode idea that I wanted to do this season,” she notes. “So it doesn’t really lengthen our season too much. It allows us to tell [this Amelia-centric] story that we might not otherwise have gotten to tell this season.”

Yes, Krista. Because what we've been missing is an Amelia story this season.

• Love 9

Press has begun for the big episode that will push them to become the longest-running primetime medical drama of all time. I imagine we'll see tons next week (when it airs). I know Justin & Camilla did a few interviews, too. 

Edited by BaseOps
2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I have to chuckle a bit at this interview because, for me, it boils down to: Giacomo seeing MerLuca having a friendship-type chemistry with Ellen, and Ellen having fun with the storyline, but neither actor really truly advocating for the romance part of it. I'm sure it's a blast for them to play, but I don't think either actor is taking the romance seriously. Unfortunately, I think Krista is seeing this relationship lasting as long as Jaggie is....though maybe I'm wrong.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I have to chuckle a bit at this interview because, for me, it boils down to: Giacomo seeing MerLuca having a friendship-type chemistry with Ellen, and Ellen having fun with the storyline, but neither actor really truly advocating for the romance part of it. I'm sure it's a blast for them to play, but I don't think either actor is taking the romance seriously. Unfortunately, I think Krista is seeing this relationship lasting as long as Jaggie is....though maybe I'm wrong.

Oh boy. Maybe that's also why it's absolutely not working on-screen. Not even the actors take it seriously. They're having fun with it perhaps, but none of their scenes give me any actual passion or romantic investment. I'm just wondering do none of the writers see that? Not a single one??

• Love 11

Delighted Linc is staying.

Mediocre on koracik since they watered him down this season and stuck him in the middle of  teddy/Owen.

gutted to see we’re stuck with Glsses.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Mediocre on koracik since they watered him down this season and stuck him in the middle of  teddy/Owen.

I'm not thrilled with how they have handled Tom this second half of the season, but his promotion gives me hope that they'll give him more to do than just being a love interest, which should help a lot. 

No surprise on Contacts being promoted. I figured he would, so I'm just hoping they get rid of HAOG and actually do something with him. As much as I don't like Contacts, I do have to admit that Jake Borelli can at least act and he has potential. They just need to figure out how to write him as a more competent doctor.

• Love 2

This show does not have two seasons worth of good storytelling left. Egads! 

I'd be more excited about Gregg German staying if I knew Tom Koracick would be put to better use (like pairing him up with Meredith instead of reducing him to what will inevitably be Owen/Teddy). 

The least deserving intern to become a regular is Glasses. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, funnygirl said:

This show does not have two seasons worth of good storytelling left. Egads! 

I'd be more excited about Gregg German staying if I knew Tom Koracick would be put to better use (like pairing him up with Meredith instead of reducing him to what will inevitably be Owen/Teddy). 

The least deserving intern to become a regular is Glasses. 

This show really doesn't, but it gets the best ratings on cable television, so they won't let go of this show until the ratings tank or something else.

I think Tom can be used better next season, if they can get him detangled from the abhorrent love triangle he's stuck in. 

Contacts has had significant more screentime than the other interns so it was always going to be him. Once Krista decided to work with Jake to create the coming out storyline, I knew he wasn't going anywhere. He'll most definitely be around until the bitter end.

They were all promoted? I'm not even really surprised, but the very last thing this show needs is 3 additions to this already bloated cast.

Then again all three of them had more story going on as recurring characters than some regulars, so maybe it doesn't even matter. I still hate it, though.

• Love 1

That Krista is now going to be the showrunner for Station 19 as well (what happened to Stacy?) tells me that dragging Grey's further through the mud (ratings shmatings) is to keep Station 19 afloat. Grey's Anatomy used to be a beacon that stood on it's own, now it's part of a package deal. 

• Love 1