Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

(edited)

New low 1.9 for Grey's. However, A) Scandal got a 2.1 which isn't much better.

B) The other two shows with higher lows this season are Modern Family and How to Get Away with Murder. 

For all network shows, it's in 10th place for highest season low.

So it's still doing well.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1
(edited)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/09/greys-anatomy-will-meredith-stand-way-amelia-and-owen

Meredith reminds Amelia of how sticky and tragic her past has been with love

Of course Meredith The Bitch has to stick her nose in other people's love lives. Way to throw someone's past in their face. I wish Amelia would return the favor and remind her of all her drunken one night stands. Or maybe she could tell her to worry about her husband making out with other women instead of Amelia's life. 

Edited by maasa
  • Love 3

It's probably nothing to do with Derek but what with the speculation swirling around a "super secret" role being cast for next year made me thing it would fuel the rumours. Maggie might be a good bet I think.

I honestly thought he might be for Maggie or perhaps Amelia for Owen to compete. Never thought it might replace Derek. 

Me either. TVline even speculates he'll play an intern. The actor is 26 so maybe a love interest for Stephanie or Maggie (both actresses are 33 so close enough in age).

• Love 2

Good for him!  Things don't work out here, but they can there.  Well played.

God, these folks have played in a very lucrative sandlot for many years.  If they choose to branch out, godspeed to all!

• Love 3

Unfortunately, creator and executive producer Shonda Rhimes did not want to talk about the shocking plot point. She did, however, release this statement to EW:

“Derek Shepherd is and will always be an incredibly important character—for Meredith, for me and for the fans. I absolutely never imagined saying goodbye to our ‘McDreamy.’ Patrick Dempsey’s performance shaped Derek in a way that I know we both hope became a meaningful example—happy, sad, romantic, painful and always true—of what young women should demand from modern love. His loss will be felt by all. Now, Meredith and the entire Grey’s Anatomy family are about to enter uncharted territory as we head into this new chapter of her life. The possibilities for what may come are endless. As Ellis Grey would say: the carousel never stops turning.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/23/shonda-rhimes-patrick-dempsey-shepherd-dead

I think Shonda not talking about Derek dying is the smartest decision she has made in years. I think she tends to dig herself in a hole with comments she makes plus whatever she says is just going to piss people off. I'm more shocked she's not giving interviews than I am about Derek dying!

Edited by choclatechip45

Biggest % boosts from one episode to the next, in-season, excluding recoveries from an episode airing on Thanksgiving:

It’s The End of the World [super Bowl]
Death And All His Friends [Hospital shooting]
How to Save a Life [bye Derek]
Song Beneath the Song [Musical]
Who’s Zoomin’ Who [1st finale]

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

I found this Vulture article particularly interesting. 

Shepherd's death instead felt like actual real life had crept too close to fiction. If behind-the-scenes drama motivated his death, as rumors suggest, does this constitute irresponsible storytelling? Did McDreamy — a beloved character on Grey's for 11 seasons — deserve to die like this for Dempsey's bad behavior?

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/greys-anatomy-mcdreamy-derek-shepherd-deserved-more.html

• Love 5

Shonda's the definition of irresponsible story telling, look how she treated TR (when he was the slurred against and she was the one who botched the entire aftermath). It shouldn't have brought on this to have the media point out her toddler behavior.  

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 7

Good lord, a "reporter" wrote this: 

Dempsey told Entertainment Weekly in an exclusive interview that his final day on the drama's Los Angeles set was "very quiet. It was raining, which was really touching." None of his costars came to the set to say goodbye before he walked alone to his car and drove home.

it's unfortunate that the reporter didn't follow him home, because "After this quiet day, where he was alone and drove off in the rain, it was only out of the corner of his eye that he first glimpsed something.  He slowed his car, turned his head, and there it was...a beautiful rainbow breaking through the rain.  It was almost as if it were a sign.  And then his phone rang (no, not THAT phone), and his agent called with an offer for a new project.  He looked back at that rainbow again and smiled. He knew.  Even though he was alone, he knew.  I'm going to be okay."

I assume that's the "let's have all the feels" the reporter was looking for. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Most of them weren't even in the episode. It was Patrick, Ellen and guest stars. I know they overlap filming at times but its possible that many of the actors weren't even there. The cast that gets 60 seconds of screen time a week (so half of them, lol) wouldn't be on set unless they were filming and if they were only filming 21 that day none of the other actors would be there.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

Good lord, a "reporter" wrote this: 

it's unfortunate that the reporter didn't follow him home, because "After this quiet day, where he was alone and drove off in the rain, it was only out of the corner of his eye that he first glimpsed something.  He slowed his car, turned his head, and there it was...a beautiful rainbow breaking through the rain.  It was almost as if it were a sign.  And then his phone rang (no, not THAT phone), and his agent called with an offer for a new project.  He looked back at that rainbow again and smiled. He knew.  Even though he was alone, he knew.  I'm going to be okay."

I assume that's the "let's have all the feels" the reporter was looking for. 

Someone who is a Patrick Dempsey fan would know that he loves the rain, and I'm certain he talked about it raining when he left. Someone who isn't - eh.

• Love 1

So what's the general consensus in the media regarding the future of the show after this stunt?

From what I've read, it looks like the journalists are criticising Shonda for how she dealt with Patrick's request for more time off, but they are doing it in a very reserved way. And I've seen only one article stating that the show might not survive this.

From the articles I have read (I did not read all) most are pretty much slamming Shonda.  If you google there are many out there,

I've caught up with the links you all posted here. The AVclub one is really good.

Ironically though, the 2 hour special next week will probably get great ratings allowing Shonda to say "Look ABC, we can survive without him!". But the shock factor will wear off quick and I fear for season 12 ratings.

• Love 2

People may tune in for aftermath/funeral and then what? Watch Meredith become her mother and miserable, drunk all the time and ignore her kids? Yay! Must see tv.

Shonda deserves all the slamming for how she behaves and decides to kill off all the characters for her personal reasons with the actors. This is now a show that if the series finale any of the actors would want to appear to honor it (which at this point, none other than SO would) how would they even do it? All of them in heaven welcoming another person like Meredith who dies? There stands Mark, Lexie, George, Derek, Denny, the dog, Ellis, Susan and all the billion other people Shonda's killed off the show?

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3
Radar online says Patrick Dempsey was fired, according to "a source close to the situation" (totally not Shonda):

Noooo, how could she?

I tweeted/joked yesterday that the next headline will be "A close insider says a fan hacked Shonda's computer and changed the script into killing McDreamy." 

The Source says "This is all on the fans, not Shonda." "Patrick was unavailable for comment but was seen rolling his eyes at this article."

You know it's a possibility. 

• Love 3

That Caterina (Amelia) interview bothers me.

Just to copy and paste a few things, "It was also kind of exciting, in a way, because he's been such a huge part of the show and it has been defining in a lot of ways and now we're moving toward all of these other stories that are now opening up. It's a little bit exciting...there's an excitement brewing about what this next chapter is going to be...it will not be boring...There's a lot going on and a really electric feeling about what is going to happen from here. I'm excited about next season to find out...We're all really excited about our storylines...Now there's this buzz of excitement about what's coming..."

I get that she has to toe the party line, but could she use the word "exciting" in one more sentence?  Add that to EP's tweet, "...I am honored and excited to tell the story of how Meredith goes on..."

Couldn't Shonda and Co. pick up a thesaurus?

• Love 7

4. Zombies

Fans have started a petition similar to McDreamy’s to bring back Emily Kinney’s character Beth Greene on AMC’s The Walking Dead. Should be an easy fix: Zombies have the resurrection plot line built in.

SEE? I can get my zombies now? FFS, it's not so hard Shonda. This show is already unbelievable as it is. A zombie won't make a difference. 

Couldn't Shonda and Co. pick up a thesaurus?

Surely this will be the general statement all the cast will have to repeat endlessly. 

• Love 2

ABC to Save Nearly $10 million in Patrick Dempsey Exit

More damage control? Is an article like this really necessary? The network seems to be trying to save face with an article like this. Who cares how much he was getting paid! I feel like it's so much more than the fact that Patrick is no longer on the show. It's about the disgraceful way Derek was written out.

No one will know what affect this truly will have until the beginning of season 12. Fans will surely stick around through the rest of the season to see the aftermath of Derek's death, but that doesn't mean people won't jump ship during hiatus.

• Love 4