Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

Anytime they’ve always replaced them with just as many (if not more) new characters within half a season, which has always been an issue with the crammed in storylines. It’s got better now they don’t always have every character in every episode.

Is it true they finish with 8 episode for winter finale Nov 20 and that´s it for how long? 

Is it possible they will just air 8 episodes and nothing more till who knows when???

Won´t there be any in December at all?

:( :( :(

Edited by owenhuntfan

Is it true they finish with 8 episode for winter finale Nov 20 and that´s it for how long? 

Is it possible they will just air 8 episodes and nothing more till who knows when???

Won´t there be any in December at all?

:( :( :(

Yes. The press release yesterday confirmed the Nov. 20th date for the fall finale. Its less episodes in the fall than last year but they will probably come back much earlier next year since there's no Olympics this winter.

Edited by windsprints

Since they are stopping at 8, I imagine that they will break they season up into thirds.  Eight in the Fall, 8 in the winter and then 8 more until the finale.  I am not a fan.  Not only did the centric episodes break up the momentum, but now the hiatus in between as well.  My hope is that each third will concentrate on a group of characters and there will be more of a balance going forward and those characters who have not been heavily involved in the first third will get their turn.

I will also stand on the grassy knoll and put on my tin-foil hat and speculate that there may be turmoil in the writers' room and/or somewhere behind the scenes.  .  Originally I read that this season would be divided like last year 12/12.  Then Shonda tweeted that she had been working on an unusual amount of re-writes (paraphrased).  Add to that, cast member interviews and episode summaries that have nothing to do with what is actually shown when the episode airs. 

There could be perfectly reasonable explanations for any of these things, but when you put them all together it seems pretty unorganized to me.  Maybe Shonda hasn't liked the more experimental episodes or maybe explaining Maggie's existence took more time than they thought or maybe ABC is caring less about Grey's than the other Shonda backed shows.  I don't know, but Grey's is no stranger to shenanigans and this is what it seems like to me.

Originally I read that this season would be divided like last year 12/12.  Then Shonda tweeted that she had been working on an unusual amount of re-writes (paraphrased).  Add to that, cast member interviews and episode summaries that have nothing to do with what is actually shown when the episode airs.

I have no idea if there's anything back stage, but I don't think that is why its 8 episodes this fall. Its seems like a network decision because its more shows than just Grey's. The date also lines up with the end of Nov. sweeps and Thanksgiving is the week after, kicking off the holiday season. Just guessing though could be more to it.

• Love 1

Since they are stopping at 8, I imagine that they will break they season up into thirds.  Eight in the Fall, 8 in the winter and then 8 more until the finale.  I am not a fan.  Not only did the centric episodes break up the momentum, but now the hiatus in between as well.  My hope is that each third will concentrate on a group of characters and there will be more of a balance going forward and those characters who have not been heavily involved in the first third will get their turn.

I will also stand on the grassy knoll and put on my tin-foil hat and speculate that there may be turmoil in the writers' room and/or somewhere behind the scenes.  .  Originally I read that this season would be divided like last year 12/12.  Then Shonda tweeted that she had been working on an unusual amount of re-writes (paraphrased).  Add to that, cast member interviews and episode summaries that have nothing to do with what is actually shown when the episode airs. 

There could be perfectly reasonable explanations for any of these things, but when you put them all together it seems pretty unorganized to me.  Maybe Shonda hasn't liked the more experimental episodes or maybe explaining Maggie's existence took more time than they thought or maybe ABC is caring less about Grey's than the other Shonda backed shows.  I don't know, but Grey's is no stranger to shenanigans and this is what it seems like to me.

Yes, what exactly has Rhimes been rewriting and why?Which scenes needed to be changed and why?It´s like saying Harper and Mckee are not doing a good job as head writers.

From the tweets it is clear she wrote Owen´s ode on Cristina in 1103 but what else needed to be changed or were new characters  - patients added  by her that were not planned before? But rewriting is more like some scenes were not written well enough for her to like them. Or no???

"cast member interviews and episode summaries that have nothing to do with what is actually shown when the episode airs"

Which ones? Can you specify? I can´t think of who it might be. Thanks.

Edited by owenhuntfan

"cast member interviews and episode summaries that have nothing to do with what is actually shown when the episode airs"

Which ones? Can you specify? I can´t think of who it might be. Thanks.

Haven't you noticed the several instances of the episode summaries detailing a character and /or plot point and they're not even in the episode at all? Off the top of my head was "Richard leans on Bailey for advice," from the most recent episode.
  • Love 1

I would say he'll do it like Sandra Oh, announce it at the end of this season and then give them another season to write him out. I'd also say that he and Pompeo will leave together.

Maybe. I'll wait and see. He's talked about moving on from Grey's quite a few times over the years (as has Ellen) and still stayed on. 

I know Patrick has been wanting out for awhile. I am somewhat surprised he did an interview with Ellen were he pretty much said no one from the show has been able to get much work after leaving so he might as well stay as long as possible. I would figure leaving after Season 8 or 10 would be better than leaving after 11 or 12 seasons for his career.

Maybe he's just looking for more money. If he really is leaving I guess they will just have Derek go off to DC. If they can arrange to have him return for a couple of episodes then can write it like they see each other on weekends.

Maybe he's just looking for more money. If he really is leaving I guess they will just have Derek go off to DC. If they can arrange to have him return for a couple of episodes then can write it like they see each other on weekends.

I have serious doubts about the money statement.  He does what he needs to do to take care of himself and his family, but in no way is he the typical greedy, egotistical Hollywood star.

• Love 2

I have serious doubts about the money statement. He does what he needs to do to take care of himself and his family, but in no way is he the typical greedy, egotistical Hollywood star.

No, but he really loves racing cars, which is crazy-expensive. I think his rationale for staying on a contract negotiation or two ago was that they'd work around his racing schedule and basically fund his hobby, and with the huge ensemble (or having Derek do the bi-coastal thing) they can use him relatively lightly while he still gets a marquee salary.

I'm intrigued by his "very soon" comments, but he's under contract through next season. While I can see him convincing Shonda to let him out of his contract early, I don't think ABC would. Shonda is also so anti-spoiler - and her actors toe the line - that maybe he made his departure sound more imminent to raise suspense in the current Seattle/DC marital conflict? Because "very soon" does sound sooner than the year and a half left on his contract, but in light of the show's 11-year age, "soon" and "it's a transitional time" would both be appropriate.

• Love 1

I can't see any actor EVER breaking a contract with ABC/Shonda again, after the way Heigl has been vilified. Plus, PD has a development deal with ABC as well.

We know he has a contract through S12, but we don't know the details. Maybe he's only contracted to be in some of the episodes, and they have agreed to a "long hiatus" for him to race in Europe/Derek to work in DC.

Because "very soon" does sound sooner than the year and a half left on his contract, but in light of the show's 11-year age, "soon" and "it's a transitional time" would both be appropriate.

I agree - I think "very soon" simply means he sees this as the last re-up of his contract. The fact that he hasn't been asked to correct the interpretation/Shonda hasn't said anything about it leads me to think that they're happy with the buzz it's generating for the show.

• Love 4
We know he has a contract through S12, but we don't know the details. Maybe he's only contracted to be in some of the episodes, and they have agreed to a "long hiatus" for him to race in Europe/Derek to work in DC.

Excellent point. Signed on for S11 and S12 could be signed on for 1, 10, or 24 episodes (or any number).  Personally, I don't believe he's going anywhere and he'll be in every episode (they get paid per episode don't they?).

• Love 1

I'm guessing that he's contracted for seasons 11 and 12 for a limited number of episodes as well. There are several hints that that's what's going on. First and foremost we have two neurosurgeons now with Amelia as a main character, and there's just so much of the back-and-forth bickering that anybody can take. Secondly I think Patrick was just about done after season 10 but decided to stay on for whatever reasons be they for the fans, for Ellen, or for the work that he enjoys for the most part. He has stated previously that his day job doesn't bankroll the racing, but the notoriety from it is a help with sponsors, fans, etc. Also that ABC and Shonda have allowed him the flexibility to race. So I think that from after the winter break on, Derek will be a character much like Bailey's Ben has been. He'll be discussed, mentioned, we might see him for several episodes. Then, either after season 12 or when the series is done, Meredith and Derek ride off into the sunset.

Edited by LakeLover
  • Love 2

I can't imagine lots of people thinking Meredith & Derek are broken up but LOL that they can't even let a cliffhanger play out for an hour before telling the outcome.

I'm surprised they didn't post an 800-number on the screen for people to call if they needed counseling...

• Love 2

Hollywood Reporter Article

I can't imagine lots of people thinking Meredith & Derek are broken up but LOL that they can't even let a cliffhanger play out for an hour before telling the outcome.

Thanks for the link, Windsprints.  Unfortunately, based on what I've seen before, I suspect that there are a lot of 12 year olds crying right now thinking that MerDer is over.  And what makes it worse is that they're giving Shonda the exact reaction she wants and feeding her ego.  That's a big part of the reason I tend to be so blunt and cynical.  I can't stand drama queens.

The ratings for this week are down to a 7.81, a drop from last week's 7.98.  While I don't pay attention much to the show's ratings, I'm wondering if this is a new series low?

I'm not 100% positive but I think the series low was in season 10 but it was very close.

Overall the ratings this season have been consistent with season 10. In Part A of the season (pre-hiatus) the show averaged about .3 less in the demo than in season. This was a given before the season started as 8pm hour long dramas never get as high of ratings as 9 and (even bigger imo) the competition with The Big Bang Theory, which crushes everyone in the demo.

The start date for Part B of the season is earlier this year because there is no winter Olympics but so far the .3 behind last year (or better) has held true.

Part B 

Season 10, episode 1 = 3.1 demo with 9.42M  total viewers

Season 11, episode 1 = 2.8 demo with 8.71M  total viewers

Season 10, episode 2 = 2.6 demo with 8.21M total viewers

Season 11, episode 2 = 2.3 demo with 7.98M total viewers

Season 10, episode 3 = 2.3 demo with 7.36M total viewers

Season 11, episode 2 = 2.3 demo with 7.81M total viewers

Its been the pattern for years with Grey's. It always is down a bit after the winter break, nothing unusual IMO. Its great for ABC that its pulling these (in terms of today's tv) great numbers at 8:00. Its starts off the TGIT Thursday strongly for them and ABC is winning the night every week. In season 11 Grey's is still way up on the list of hour long dramas and doesn't seem to be losing much ground (again, in today's world, compared to other current dramas and not years back). Its impressive that the show has been able to keep being on top after 10 seasons.

ETA: links to the source for the numbers don't seem to work so:

S10: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey's_Anatomy_(season_10)#Live_ratings

S11: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey's_Anatomy_(season_11)#Live_.2B_SD_ratings

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

I don't know "Supergirl" doesn't exactly have a history of great projects, and she's in a potentially thankless role as "exposition girl". It's a probably sought after pilot but its supporting in the same way Lexie was, a lateral move. Taxi was an actual lead role for her, despite being fairly terrible.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1

Grey's Anatomy Preview: How Are April and Jackson Weathering Their Loss?

They're not my favorite characters but it would be nice for a change if Grey's has a couple stay together and work through a major life issue/tragedy.  It could be a good storyline if it gets decent writing and time.

Sarah must have only taken 3 or so weeks off to be back so soon. I know actresses do that all the time but with her baby being in NICU for awhile (she said it in interview awhile back) I thought she may have taken more time.

I was just reading the March 6 Entertainment Weekly (with Empire on the cover) and found a Grey's article about Geena Davis. They used actual scans of Geena Davis' real brain (adding the tumor, of course). She had her brain scanned as part of a UCLA research study called "the Big C Project" to study if extraordinarily creative people have unique brains (visually unique). She was selected for the study since she's an oscar winning actress and an olympic level archer. The article also said she's been interested in the brain since watching an episode of Quincy as a kid (I love Quincy).

• Love 3

Ratings are crazy consistent for an 11-year-old show. In last night's prelims it got a 2.1 while Scandal got a 2.4.

Network dramas whose last ep did better: Empire, How to Get Away with Murder, NCIS.

Last ep got a 2.1 as well: Criminal Minds.

It'll be funny if Grey's Anatomy's still standing after Scandal ends.

It'll be funny if Grey's Anatomy's still standing after Scandal ends.

You may want to prepare the laughter because I'm almost sure this is what will happen. Scandal doesn't have 11 seasons material. GA can do constant rebirths given the huge cast and that there is no such thing as scandals. Just same old story, different character.

Its crazy consistent.

Definitely. The TGIT brand really did GA a lot of favors here. Very wise decision by ABC. 

• Love 1