Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
stopthestatic

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

This show does not have two seasons worth of good storytelling left. Egads! 

I'd be more excited about Gregg German staying if I knew Tom Koracick would be put to better use (like pairing him up with Meredith instead of reducing him to what will inevitably be Owen/Teddy). 

The least deserving intern to become a regular is Glasses. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, funnygirl said:

This show does not have two seasons worth of good storytelling left. Egads! 

I'd be more excited about Gregg German staying if I knew Tom Koracick would be put to better use (like pairing him up with Meredith instead of reducing him to what will inevitably be Owen/Teddy). 

The least deserving intern to become a regular is Glasses. 

This show really doesn't, but it gets the best ratings on cable television, so they won't let go of this show until the ratings tank or something else.

I think Tom can be used better next season, if they can get him detangled from the abhorrent love triangle he's stuck in. 

Contacts has had significant more screentime than the other interns so it was always going to be him. Once Krista decided to work with Jake to create the coming out storyline, I knew he wasn't going anywhere. He'll most definitely be around until the bitter end.

They were all promoted? I'm not even really surprised, but the very last thing this show needs is 3 additions to this already bloated cast.

Then again all three of them had more story going on as recurring characters than some regulars, so maybe it doesn't even matter. I still hate it, though.

• Like 1

That Krista is now going to be the showrunner for Station 19 as well (what happened to Stacy?) tells me that dragging Grey's further through the mud (ratings shmatings) is to keep Station 19 afloat. Grey's Anatomy used to be a beacon that stood on it's own, now it's part of a package deal. 

We’re stuck with Glasses but we haven’t seen the awesome Casey Parker in weeks! Then again, maybe I should be glad that Casey isn’t getting much air time because at least that way the show can’t ruin his character. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

The only time we see Casey is when some computer shenanigans needs to be done. Isn’t the last time he was on is when he found Jo’s mom?

• Like 1

She’s really not shy to slate her former costars.. or pat herself on the back. While I don’t disagree there’s been a lot of egos and drama over the years I sometimes think hers was the biggest of all.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I used to really like EP, but she's making it more and more difficult all the time.  Even comments about how she hasn't been creatively challenged in a long time, so she focuses on accomplishments behind the scenes.  Way to admit the show has been sucking lately.

For as much as she is all about reminding us that it is her show all about her, I would say that for many seasons, she was one of the more expendable roles.  

• Like 5

Ellen's been dragging the show's quality and reputation down with her greed. She has more than enough money to support her children and family. If she hasn't been challenged creatively all these years then why continue to do it? GA could've went out with a satisfying ending for the majority of beloved characters and couples - including MerDer, but she chose to feed her ego instead. 

Despite being the show's namesake, Meredith Grey was never as much of a lead as say Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating. The show has always been an ensemble. Meredith was only as good as the people around her, which is why she used to be a much better character than she is now. And Ellen clearly wasn't a great supposed-leader all those years if she let things get so toxic. She is part of the problem. 

• Like 7

My guess is that to keep "Derek" on the show, when he was also doing movies, it costs extra to persuade him to do that.    Was he a bigger celebrity than Pompeo was at the beginning of the show?    However, admitting that you only do the show for money, and really don't care about anything else, is not going to make me want to tune in every week.   

I really agree that glasses should go to be with his friend, and written off.  Casey Parker is so much more entertaining, and I would like to see another person in training for a few seasons, just the way the original group of interns were in the first seasons. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Was he a bigger celebrity than Pompeo was at the beginning of the show? 

Absolutely! He had Sweet Home Alabama under his belt when Grey’s Anatomy began.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

He’d also had Can’t Buy Me Love back in the 80s that he was known for. 

From the sound of the article as well as other tweets of hers, it sounds like a lot of the creative decisions of the show -onstage and off- has been to show that women are as powerful and capable as men. Which if it were well done would be one thing, but so many of the stories have been so clunky.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

17 hours ago, deaja said:

He’d also had Can’t Buy Me Love back in the 80s that he was known for. 

True, but he wasn’t the lead in Sweet Home Alabama.   He was more or less a has been and the role was considered the first step in a comeback attempt.   It was Greys that really put him back on the map. 

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 4

Ms. Pompeo refers to the “strong group of women” driving the show.  You’ve got to be kidding me.  With the notable exception of Catherine and Bailey (who, is strong when the script isn’t turning her into a flibbertygibbet), the female doctors are children.  Starting with the most childish of them all, Maggie.  I can sort of handle Jo and there’s been a mild improvement in post-tumor Amelia, but these are not women I want operating on my brain or my heart, I don’t care how amazing they are as surgeons.  I don’t think I have to point out examples of their childishness.

I would never condone a toxic work environment but the show was much better while “toxic” than it is now.  They ran off good, complex characters, shuffled other good characters to the sidelines and ended up with this bunch of twits.  

• Like 4

For all the complaints... the fans seems to continue loving what Ellen and Krista are delivering. TVLine just put together the rating stats for the 2018/2019 TV season, including Live+7 DVR playback data, and it's incredibly impressive. It's not surprising that ABC granted them a 2-year renewal. 

The top 10 shows overall by demo: 

1 - NBC Sunday Night Football, NBC (5.9, no change)
2 - Thursday Night Football, Fox (4.4, +3% vs. CBS/NBC avg.)
3 - This Is Us, NBC (3.8, -30%) * 
4 - The Big Bang Theory, CBS (3.8, -14%) * 
5 - The Masked Singer, Fox (3.8, NA)
6 - The OT, Fox (3.3, -11%)
7 - Grey’s Anatomy, ABC (2.9, -12%) * 
8 - Manifest, NBC (2.8, NA) * 
9 - Young Sheldon, CBS (2.6, -21%) * 
10 - The Good Doctor, ABC (2.5, -26%) * 

* = Scripted

Grey's finished season 15 as ABC's #1 series and the #2 drama on all of broadcast, behind only This Is Us. It was the #3 scripted series overall behind only This Is Us and The Big Bang Theory.

This Is Us was down 30% season-to-season, Big Bang was down 14% (boosted by the huge finale numbers) and The Good Doctor was down 26%... Grey's was only down 12%. It had the lowest season-to-season decline of any scripted series in the top 10. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

For all the complaints... the fans seems to continue loving what Ellen and Krista are delivering. TVLine just put together the rating stats for the 2018/2019 TV season, including Live+7 DVR playback data, and it's incredibly impressive. It's not surprising that ABC granted them a 2-year renewal. 

The top 10 shows overall by demo: 

1 - NBC Sunday Night Football, NBC (5.9, no change)
2 - Thursday Night Football, Fox (4.4, +3% vs. CBS/NBC avg.)
3 - This Is Us, NBC (3.8, -30%) * 
4 - The Big Bang Theory, CBS (3.8, -14%) * 
5 - The Masked Singer, Fox (3.8, NA)
6 - The OT, Fox (3.3, -11%)
7 - Grey’s Anatomy, ABC (2.9, -12%) * 
8 - Manifest, NBC (2.8, NA) * 
9 - Young Sheldon, CBS (2.6, -21%) * 
10 - The Good Doctor, ABC (2.5, -26%) * 

* = Scripted

Grey's finished season 15 as ABC's #1 series and the #2 drama on all of broadcast, behind only This Is Us. It was the #3 scripted series overall behind only This Is Us and The Big Bang Theory.

This Is Us was down 30% season-to-season, Big Bang was down 14% (boosted by the huge finale numbers) and The Good Doctor was down 26%... Grey's was only down 12%. It had the lowest season-to-season decline of any scripted series in the top 10. 

I make no apologies. I love EP and I love that she is outspoken. I know! How dare *gasp!* a woman and the lead of the show no less -- tell it like it is behind the scenes.??? How dare she!

Ellen has been there since the beginning and she can certainly tell us a thing or two what it was really like in the early years. As well as now. I like that she and Shonda decided to take matters into their own hands and make things (the work environment) a more welcoming place to be.

And let us not forget some of the shenanigans that have taken place over the years (from IW to KH etc-- the most recent being Patrick Dempsey.) He and his wife split-- rumors of his infidelity were all over the news. EP and Dempsey's wife were/are friends in real life and the fact that she stated that she hasn't spoken to him since 2015 ??? hm? I wonder why? 

I am thinking Ellen Pompeo knows a lot of little secrets/gossip/actual events that have happened behind the scenes over the years. If she should ever write a tell-all book--- I would so read that shit!

• Like 4

On 6/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, deaja said:

I used to really like EP, but she's making it more and more difficult all the time.  Even comments about how she hasn't been creatively challenged in a long time, so she focuses on accomplishments behind the scenes.  Way to admit the show has been sucking lately.

This is kind of taking her quote out of context, though. She was saying that when it comes to acting, she hasn't really be challenged in the role of Meredith for a few years - which is fair. She's played the part for over a decade, and Meredith doesn't get extremely challenging storylines anymore. When she talked about focusing on goals behind-the-scenes, that means many things: 1) the quality of the series, as she's taken on a hands-on role the past several years, and 2) the work environment. She's focused on keeping the series great, evolving, having important things to say, etc. Just not so much on challenging Meredith's character / herself as an actress. Which is fine. 

• Like 4

I can't stand Ellen Pompeo and her lisping.

22 hours ago, BaseOps said:

This is kind of taking her quote out of context, though. She was saying that when it comes to acting, she hasn't really be challenged in the role of Meredith for a few years - which is fair. She's played the part for over a decade, and Meredith doesn't get extremely challenging storylines anymore. When she talked about focusing on goals behind-the-scenes, that means many things: 1) the quality of the series, as she's taken on a hands-on role the past several years, and 2) the work environment. She's focused on keeping the series great, evolving, having important things to say, etc. Just not so much on challenging Meredith's character / herself as an actress. Which is fine. 

And directing. I believe I read somewhere that she had directed at least one ep?

I love her lisp. It's adorable. I love that she is a successful, strong, outspoken woman. 

• Like 3