Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, BaseOps said:

People honestly need to drop the bullshit about Ellen's pay leading to Sarah & Jessica exiting. I'm as sad to lose both April and Arizona as anybody else. April's story this season has been my favorite of the year by miles. But Ellen's raise wasn't significant enough to cost two actresses their jobs, ESPECIALLY when they also lost two other regulars within months (Steph & Riggs) in addition to having lost their highest-paid actor (Patrick Dempsey) just 2 years ago. They have the money to pay them, and Grey's continues to generate massive revenue through a) being the 2nd highest-rated drama on broadcast television, b) being a massive streaming property, and c) having huge international deals. Do y'all think Ellen was making $12 an episode before this or something? Her raise reflects what she has contributed to the show, how much the show has made for ABC/Disney, and the fact that she also became a producer on Grey's + the spin-off. 

Ellen deserved that raise. Grey's has generated $3B for Disney and she's the face of the show. I don't care how angry you are at her (for no reason), or whether you like Meredith or happen to think that Ellen isn't a great actress - she works insane hours and has been the face of the show for 14 seasons. It wouldn't be around if she had chosen to leave 2, 3, 4, or 5 years ago. None of these actors would have jobs had that been the case. The fact that she was making less than Patrick for years when she's the title character + his exit didn't make a dent in the ratings is sad. 

There is not enough word in the world for your post, Baseops. 

I mean, even if you look at the numbers, it wouldn't make sense. According to this article from one year ago, Ellen was making $400,000 per episode. Now, she'll be making $575,000 per episode in seasons 15 and 16 (not including sign on bonus [one time thing] and picking up additional money on the backend). Ellen will now be making $175,000 more per episode. If you divide that by two for Jessica and Sarah, you get $87,500 per episode for each of them. There is no way that Jessica and Sarah are making $87,500 per episode when they've been with this show for almost ten years. The increase in Ellen's pay in no way matches Sarah and Jessica's combined per episode salaries. Therefore, I believe Ellen's pay increase has *zero* to do with Jessica and Sarah's departures. 

EDIT: Also, this isn't even taking into account Riggs and Steph's departures. Also, I've even seen estimates that Ellen was making $450,000 per episode, which makes the idea that her raise is responsible for Jessica and Sarah's exits even more ludicrous. 

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 3

It’s amazing what’s being exasperated from that article...money is just a tiny blurb of it and it’s more off hand. There’s paragraphs about how some people feel what’s being lost with their departures but people still feel this intense need to defend Ellen...hmm

• Love 4

Obviously there's some behind the scene drama here that's being glossed over 'the don't blame Ellen' trope.

I would at least expect Justin Chambers (I consider him the most unbiased one + equally close Jessica and Ellen) to show some support for Ellen if she was not to be blamed here to any degree. But instead his support was and has been towards Jessica.

Secondly, Jessica, Camilla and Ellen were more so of an clique. Even that has died. 

Thirdly, Christopher Gavigan also tweeted an article that was more or less based on fan theories surrounding the issue.

There's been sly dig from Jessica and Sarah with respect to representation and equality which is pretty much telling that they have been treated unfairly and there's no fair play here.

As for viewers drop, I agree, Greys is seasoned show, even at its lowest it's still higher than most of the dramas on tv.

But if you look into the popularity of a show with respect to social media, which I consider to be important or otherwise you won't have the TPTB making sure people talk about their shows or their show trends during live telecast - then it all stemmed from the calzona and japril and merder fandoms. Again social status is important in its own way, The Big Bang Theory never gets social media attention but is the most successful show viewer wise. To some extent, this social status is what brings in the international deals imo.

Ellen might not be the one to blame here, but she could have done better. Instead of defending her pay raise, she should have just simply stated that she despise the idea of two powerful characters being written off. That's it. That's all what was required from her.

The problem here is not her pay raise, it's the fact that she herself said that Patrick Dempsey never supported her in getting paid equal or higher - and it makes you wonder whether if Ellen herself supported these two actors in negotiations - and when you see her acting all mighty, you automatically conclude that she didn't.

Jessica and Sarah's departure will be overcame eventually. That's a no brainier, but you have to allow their fans to grieve and be angry at whoever they want, instead of making this whole debacle about Ellen's pay raise. Ellen brought it upon herself.

Edited by beautifulGA
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

It’s amazing what’s being exasperated from that article...money is just a tiny blurb of it and it’s more off hand. There’s paragraphs about how some people feel what’s being lost with their departures but people still feel this intense need to defend Ellen...hmm

Maybe because she's being unfairly blamed for something that isn't her fault?

I cannot believe this has to be said, but for the record, I am not happy with Jessica and Sarah's departures, either, especially Sarah's. I've come to really like April lately, and I will miss her character.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 6

Social media is a fucking poison.  I hope to god that all of the actors on the show read the ridiculous tweets, articles and conspiracy theories that arise around this show constantly and laugh their asses off together, whether sitting in their million dollar trailers, getting hair and makeup done, having their nannies/assistance fetch them things or between cashing the checks that they get for making out with ridiculously hot people that aren't their spouses.  There are NO victims here.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

But this article doesn’t talk about Ellen’s raise or even blame her. This article is not about Ellen. 

Like this flabbergasting to me, lol. 

Speaking for myself, my comments are not so much about the article itself as it is about the opinions that surround the article.  The article was well written, and its nice to read an appreciation for "underdog" characters.  I don't agree so much with the implication that Krista is some how betraying some feminist ideal that has never existed on any Shondaland show as far as I can tell, and that because of this betrayal, the show will now plummet in the ratings and the characters and viewers that are left are somehow less worthy. 

I think it was kind of tacky for Jessica Capshaw's husband to tweet it out and the reactions to it and the reactions to the reactions to it are toxic.  Just the notion that any of us have any idea of what any of these actors feel about each other or their boss or the show is just ridiculous.  The theories that gleaned by a cryptic instagram quote, or who is following who on whatever stupid app, or the thought that any actor MUST speak out on anything otherwise they are loyal to this person or that person is also ridiculous.  I made the mistake of checking out a tag on twitter to see if I missed any spoilers and the amount of people out there who are speaking authoritatively about what Ellen, Jesse, Sarah, Jessica, Krista, etc. think and feel and what clearly happened behind the scenes, is just insane and its why I hope that they all sit around with expensive champagne and laugh at all of us.  I enjoy gossip as much as anyone, and social media as a promotional tool is a double edged sword for the actors/showrunners, but it all gets to be too much sometimes. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, moonorchid said:

But this article doesn’t talk about Ellen’s raise or even blame her. This article is not about Ellen. 

Like this flabbergasting to me, lol. 

And yet there are 3405670345674506 other comments in the thread blaming her. I was responding to the one right above mine but didn't feel the need to tag anyone because it's ubiquitous. Regardless, the feminism angle is just stupid. Martin Henderson was let go. Patrick Dempsey was let go (he still had over a year in his contract which he was willing to honor). This has nothing to do with being male or female... oddly, people blamed Ellen for both of those departures too. It seems like a lot of bored housewives & snotty teenagers trying to cook up BTS drama for their own amusement when the fact is things put out online actually affect people. The tweets I see being sent to Ellen (and Kelly McCreary, as if she dreamed up the Jaggie storyline herself) are disgusting. Krista Vernoff gets it awful, too. Being upset with creative decisions is one thing - we've all been there - but the vile and hatred being thrown at Ellen online is next level. There's no way Sarah or Jessica would support it. There's just so much ridiculous reaching going on throughout the entire fandom that's really sad. 

Again, it's a business - like any business, people get let go. ESPECIALLY in television, and especially on shows that run 14+ years. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 7

The vile hatred is being thrown at Sarah and Jessica as well. Ellen has call this crap on herself, her behaviour surrounding the issue has been questionable to say the least. Even after being let go, Sarah and Jessica have maintained grace.

This is a tit and tat situation, I'm sure ABC & Shondaland are just glad that there show is being talked about in sweeps season is all.

I remember during Patrick's departure, Ellen got the wrath because she said that if Scandal and HTGAWM have solo female leads, why can't Greys have the same. Feminism and all.

It isn't the issue that's get spinned to blame Ellen'. It's her reaction that sets things going. 

• Love 5

It was pretty much a no-win scenario for Ellen anyway. If she agrees that the way Sarah and Jessica were let go was messed up, then she’s biting the hand that feeds her. She had no good options and the way she responded was really the best one available. 

• Love 8

Ellen was never going to please everybody but the way she chose to address this was a disaster to the point she had to go on The Ellen Show and publically address this, and even THEN the focus is how it’s not about her money. 

I personally don’t think it is about money, I do believe Krista when they say that, but everyone has to agree the optics don’t look good.

and with Martin Henderson, he had a three year contract and is on record saying this was always short term. The difference with Sarah drew and Jessica capshaw is they didn’t want to leave. Yes it is a business but people can still be upset. Yes it’s a business and that’s what shodnaland is now, so people like Jason George can no longer appllaud shondaland for rewarding loyalty and being a good person.

• Love 2

Just to make it clear, I'm not blaming Ellen Pompeo for anything. I mean, even if she had walked up to the executives and told them "I want a big raise AND Capshaw and Drew out, or I'm gone" and they gave in (which, just for the record, is NOT what I think happened), blaming her would be pointless, because, ultimately it wouldn't be her decision to make. 

I do however stand by my point that it's silly, to put it mildly, to paint Ellen Pompeo's pay rise as some kind of huge victory for feminism and then look the other way when other women are being let go clearly against their will. I mean, I don't have an issue with either per se. Those are business decisions that get made all the time. But that's just what it is - business. Don't pretend it's something else. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 9

I don't get how Ellen was supposed to react. When Katherine Heigl spoke out on creative decisions, she was demonized (and still is today). Ellen can't exactly say "I think it's a dumb creative choice" when she's going to be working under Krista for another 2 years at least. It seems like fans were mad that she didn't make some big post, but we're forgetting that she WORKS onset with Sarah & Jessica... why did she have to make a public comment when, for all we know, she likely discussed it at length with both of them personally. Ellen doesn't post that much on Instagram anyway (not nearly as much as most of the cast who made those type of posts, anyway). I agree that she was in a lose-lose situation, and I don't think there was any issue with her defending herself against the accusations. That's her reputation on the line, and I truly believe she is a champion for women and minorities. That doesn't mean that women can't be fired / let go. Again, I think everyone involved seemed to handle it really well - they could have literally waited until the finale script was handed to the actresses to tell them that they wouldn't be coming back, but they gave them advance notice and seemingly took the time to craft farewell storylines for them. 

I don't see how Ellen "looked the other way" when they were let go. It very simply isn't her decision. By that measure, no woman who has ever been on any TV show or worked for any company where women were fired or let go are feminists. That's BS. Fans have every right to be frustrated, annoyed, pissed off - whatever. I think it's the misplacement of that anger that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 8

Bottom line: Krista, the showrunner, feels that April and Arizona's stories have come to an end. The storyteller no longer wants to tell their stories. Both Sarah and Jessica are exiting when their contracts expire, so no one was "fired". There's no conspiracy, this isn't a loss of feminism, it's just business. 

9 and 10 years playing one character is by no means being short-changed. It's unfortunate that this wasn't their choice to leave, but they've both expressed their gratitude for the show and will be just fine. Sarah Drew bounced back within a week with a starring role on a CBS pilot, and Jessica Capshaw will continue to live among the Hollywood elite and will surely be cast in something in no time. 

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

Interesting thing happened this morning...

Do you mean interesting because she re-tweeted it?  I imagine that she thought it was a nice tribute to her character.  Or do you mean that she is somehow shading Krista, Greys, Shonda, etc.?  I hope that isn't the case.  If either of these actresses were truly treated that horribly, I really wish that they would come right out and say so instead of being passive aggressive on social media.  I'm hoping that it she is just sharing the article because she is happy that her character (who was written by the very people she could be shading) meant so much to people.  Otherwise, it really isn't a great look for her, IMO.

• Love 3

I just think everything about that article so one-sided, like it was written by an angry 15-year-old. It has a lot of great stuff to say but then shits on all of that by being so clearly biased. For one, the idea that everything is served on a tray to Meredith is one perpetuated by angry fans online that has never been true. We're talking about the same character whose mother treated her like shit, whose father abandoned her (briefly returned, blamed her for her stepmother's death & slapped her), who got close to her step-sister just in time for her to be crushed by a plane, whose husband died in a car accident just as she discovered she was pregnant, etc. So to paint the 'April is the only character who really struggled!' picture is just false and silly. 

That said, the article had a lot of great, accurate things to say about the character so I can see that maybe that's why Sarah RT'd it. Sarah has stated on numerous occasions that season 14 was among her favorite ever for April & that she loved the story she got to tell, so it's hard to imagine her being so snarky @ Krista who finally came in and gave her some decent material. 

• Love 6

okay yes, this is the first time I have read someone say it, and I completely agree now - if Sarah thinks that they have been wronged (and now that they're out of any binding contract with ABC & Shonda) then she should just come out and say so. If you support feminism, then get up and take a stand. I'm not a fan of the decision and neither I am a ellen fan but being shady towards them isn't helping anyone in any form.

• Love 1

I was just coming to say that - i get his overall point but it just seems out of nowhere by quoting that tweet even though I've no doubt it's not out of nowhere. 

Had that particular account bashed Kelly previously ?

4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I was just coming to say that - i get his overall point but it just seems out of nowhere by quoting that tweet even though I've no doubt it's not out of nowhere. 

Had that particular account bashed Kelly previously ?

I'm sure it has not, but there are some accounts that have. Similarly there are some accounts that are bashing sarah for apparently 'lying' about the whole firing situation - means she got a new gig and that's why she's leaving and jessica for apparently not taking a stand for 'good friend' ellen as well. It is social media, obviously there would be opinions, some harsher then others.

At some point, this whole boycotting thing that the fans have going on - which has resulted in some serious declining in ratings + Greys have not trended on social media since the firing news come out - is affecting the TPTB in some way or other.

I even saw Krista tweeting requesting the fans to use correct greys hashtag and now this - pretty much all looks like some belated damage control.

Edited by beautifulGA
  • Love 2

My cynical self would say that he highlighted that tweet because it mentions the episode that he directed and he wants people to watch it.  But he also cares about his co-star and doesn't think that she should be getting the grief that she is apparently getting.  

Also, the ratings always confuse me.  Aren't ratings only counted through Nielson boxes?  If so, does that mean that a boycott only matters if you have are a Nielson viewer?  I know how the hashtag thing works, but wasn't sure how the boycott affects anything.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, beautifulGA said:

At some point, this whole boycotting thing that the fans have going on - which has resulted in some serious declining in ratings + Greys have not trended on social media since the firing news come out - is affecting the TPTB in some way or other.

Grey's Anatomy has still been trending in the US every week from what I've seen on Twitter. 

As for the ratings, the current decline average this season from last season is only -5.8% for the demo and -2.9% for overall viewers, which is on par season-to-season from any other year. Naturally, seeing the demo drop below 2.0 and under 7 million overall seems like it's worse than it really is, but keep in mind that this is the 14th season and it's still one of ABC and network TV's top dramas. 

I'm not sure where this narrative came from where the loss of both April and Arizona is the worst thing to ever happen to Grey's Anatomy, but if people look beyond their favorite character (April and/or Arizona), they'll see that that's not the case at all. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 8

Yea, the ratings are beyond fine - they're quite amazing. They hit a new series low this week for the first time all season; on the same night, The Big Bang Theory hit a series low, Young Sheldon hit a series low, Chicago Fire matched its series low, etc. They were all up against the NFL draft which was massive + openings of The Avengers which ended up (not surprisingly) having the highest-grossing weekend in US box office history, with Thursday night breaking viewing records. 

Grey's is the #1 drama on ABC and their #2 series behind only Roseanne (which has aired like 5 episodes VS Grey's 21). Overall, it's the #2 drama on broadcast behind only This Is Us. In terms of all scripted series on broadcast, it's #5 in the demo (Roseanne > This Is Us > Big Bang > Young Sheldon > Grey's). The year-to-year declines are totally normal, and in fact it has smaller declines than almost everything else on TV - last year, Empire was ahead of Grey's, this year they've already fallen behind. 

• Love 4

No surprise here, but ABC confirmed at upfronts today that Grey's will remain in the Thursday at 8 timeslot next season as part of another all-Shonda TGIT. 

Fall: 

8pm - Grey's

9pm - Station 19

10pm - How To Get Away with Murder

Spring: 

8pm - Grey's

9pm - Station 19

10pm - For The People

I’ve been speculating this for weeks especially after Sarah and Jessica were let go. Krista said jn her THR interview at the beginning of the season that if she had room in her budget she’d have Kim back in a heartbeat...well she made room!

Whats unfortunate is teddy is going to be used as a folly for Owen and Amelia and the final piece to Kristas new “modern family”. 

• Love 5

Or will Amelia be the foil to Owen and Teddy... Or maybe Owen will finally get called on his terrible treatment of wives/fiancées and women in general and they'll kick him out in order to raise the baby together.. That's fairly modern..

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Oh for fuck sake...

My sentiments exactly.

There goes the theory that Krista is only writing for people who have an attachment to Meredith.

Is Bailey going to take the whole season off? Because if Teddy isn't being interim chief, what is she going to do?

• Love 5

I guess she'll have to be a regular cardio surgeon, working under Maggie the way Riggs did. Only super awkward, because I'm not thinking that Teddy and Amelia are going to be able to work well together and we all know Maggie will be on Team Amelia.

I don't see Amelia being petty towards Teddy. I actually see her stepping aside given there's a baby involved. It might be a way to finally get me to like her. 

This storyline has the the potential of lasting until midseason when she had the kid. Then she's just going to go back to being as pointless a character as she was the last time she was regular*.

*i didn't dislike Teddy but I never saw the point of her once she stopped mooning at Owen. In a show that's had multiple pointless characters as regulars - she was one of the first.

• Love 5

I do think Amelia will be fine and would absolutely step aside If there's a baby involved. I don't trust Teddy not To keep things professional. Remember how she treated Owen after her husband died?

(edited)

I think asking for a job at GSMH before she talks to Owen is a big red flag that Teddy's not going to keep things professional.

2 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I don't see Amelia being petty towards Teddy. I actually see her stepping aside given there's a baby involved.

I think that the conversation with Meredith at the wedding was supposed to tell the audience that Amelia is falling for Owen again.  In that case, stepping aside would make her a saint since she wants (loves?) Owen herself. Or a wuss, stepping away from the man she loves so he can make a family with the woman he accidentally got pregnant and who kicked him out the door.  In 2018, when the divorce rate is so high and so many people are single parents or have blended families, it's not important any more to have one's bio parents married or even living together.

April and Jackson didn't get back together when April got pregnant with Harriet other than to co-habitate IIRC and they loved each other once.  Owen and Teddy have never had even that.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Or will Amelia be the foil to Owen and Teddy... Or maybe Owen will finally get called on his terrible treatment of wives/fiancées and women in general and they'll kick him out in order to raise the baby together.. That's fairly modern..

Teddy pretty much already did call Owen out on his shit so that should make things interesting at the start of next season. I wonder if they'll be pushing Teddy/Owen or Teddy/Amelia. 

Edited by BaseOps

I think Teddy is going to keep him at arms length, co-parenting but nothing more. Owen of course will not react well and quite frankly Teddy can't be trusted to maintain professional behavior, at least around him. Amelia may very well decide that she doesn't want to be in the middle of that drama until it settles down. She's got Betty to think about and her own sobriety. And the wretched memories of her own pregnancy and the baby she lost. You can't tell me that having Teddy around, pregnant with Owen's kid, won't stir that up. And somewhere in the middle of this is foster baby Leo. 

• Love 5

Probably because of the cast changes. I always love the excitement of them coming back to set. 

Anybody know if the interns are returning? I know they're annoying but at this stage I'd prefer consistency. I don't want another new crop of them.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Probably because of the cast changes. I always love the excitement of them coming back to set. 

Anybody know if the interns are returning? I know they're annoying but at this stage I'd prefer consistency. I don't want another new crop of them.

I would assume so since no announcement was made noting anything different. Luckily it seems that none of them have been upped to regular yet. 

Also, it seems yesterdays EW shoot was for a cover story. One setup was Kim and Caterina in the elevator in full glam / fancy dresses. 

43 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Was it just Kim that replaced April/Arizona? I actually can't remember if they added a new regular who I've forgotten..

Yup, just Kim as far as we know. I think they'd have announced by now if we were getting any new series regulars. No word on if Carina will appear at all, either.