Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

I was pretty sure Betty would somehow be out of the picture by the time Teddy broke the news of her and Owen's baby. But now that not only she's staying but Amelia is apparently willing to adopt her, I'm inclined to think that Owen and Teddy are the endgame, Owen gets his own child, Betty recovers with Amelia's help and keeps her son and... Amelia becomes a grandmother? LOL. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Joana said:

I was pretty sure Betty would somehow be out of the picture by the time Teddy broke the news of her and Owen's baby. But now that not only she's staying but Amelia is apparently willing to adopt her, I'm inclined to think that Owen and Teddy are the endgame, Owen gets his own child, Betty recovers with Amelia's help and keeps her son and... Amelia becomes a grandmother? LOL. 

When Betty arrived in the ER, I thought she was a goner. Maybe they’re setting up for Amelia to eventually adopt Betty and/or Leo if Owen and Teddy end up together. 

48 minutes ago, Joana said:

I'll take it over Teddy coming back after 5 seasons for no other reason than to be pregnant with Owen's child. There is a history of reasons why they should be endgame, and if tptb aren't going to honor that then why is she even here? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

There is a history of reasons why they should be endgame,

There is also a history of reasons why they shouldn't, starting with the fact that Owen preferred at least three other women before Teddy (if they were really meant to be, he would have ended his engagement for Teddy rather than Cristina) , moving on to Owen had to be pushed by Amelia to go to Teddy in Germany and ending with Owen and Amelia currently forming a family with Betty and Leo.

According to Krista, it's the season of love.  Teddy is here to put a wrench into Owen's life and cause angst as the three of them sort it all out.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

How is Betty even able to be fostered by Amelia? She does have parents. They washed their hands of her when she got into drugs and got pregnant, but I presume they still technically have their rights.

That may be what Amelia meant: that Betty will ask to enter the system under her own right -- as an abandoned minor, not only as the mother of Leo -- and Amelia will apply to be named her foster mother. But the finish line of that story could be the reconciliation of Betty with her parents, and their decision to raise Leo together. Or, for Betty to assign Leo for adoption by...Amelia? Amelia and Owen? Owen and Teddy?

The story that would need to be told well is Owen's ethical and legal relationship to his foster son vs. his future daughter or son. In the first, he volunteered to be part of a process whose aim is not only to provide for the welfare of the children, but where possible, to support the existing relationship between parent(s) and child. In the second, he is responsible. What needs articulating is how this distinction is not only biological: that Owen isn't simply abandoning an unrelated child for his kin. 

• Love 1

Or it could be Betty's mom/Leo's grandmother. 

Not sure were else to post this tidbit. Station 19 had their premier pushed to March, which is an indicator that ABC isn't thrilled with their performance. If it gets canceled then I think we have our answer about Bailey's marriage. 

12 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Or it could be Betty's mom/Leo's grandmother. 

Not sure were else to post this tidbit. Station 19 had their premier pushed to March, which is an indicator that ABC isn't thrilled with their performance. If it gets canceled then I think we have our answer about Bailey's marriage. 

It's more about ABC trying desperately to save A Million Little Things, which they hoped would be a This Is Us. Station 19 is their #3 top-rated drama after Grey's and The Good Doctor. Cancellation isn't on the table for it this year.

On 2018-12-13 at 1:27 PM, BaseOps said:

It's more about ABC trying desperately to save A Million Little Things, which they hoped would be a This Is Us. Station 19 is their #3 top-rated drama after Grey's and The Good Doctor. Cancellation isn't on the table for it this year.

It could still be cancelled if ABC truly isn't happy with the ratings. If they get a pilot that think might do better it could still get cancelled. I think the real problem for Station 19 is that it has zero buzz. There are 3 firehouse shows on right now so it gets lost a bit in the shuffle. Chicago Fire is the Chicago one and 911 is the wacky one with a great cast and Station 19 is just kind of there. It should be the one with a badass female captain but the lead is so bland I can't remember the character's name and she's been on Grey's a few times now.

In any case I hope we get a resolution to Ben's story that doesn't make Bailey look ridiculous. She needs therapy. He's a firefighter not a frontline soldier the odds of him dying are pretty slim. The more likely scenario is that he gets injured and ends up returning to surgery. As written it feels more like Bailey needs her OCD meds adjusted because she's fixating on Ben's safety. 

• Love 4
On 12/29/2018 at 12:48 AM, Emily Thrace said:

It could still be cancelled if ABC truly isn't happy with the ratings. If they get a pilot that think might do better it could still get cancelled. I think the real problem for Station 19 is that it has zero buzz. There are 3 firehouse shows on right now so it gets lost a bit in the shuffle. Chicago Fire is the Chicago one and 911 is the wacky one with a great cast and Station 19 is just kind of there. It should be the one with a badass female captain but the lead is so bland I can't remember the character's name and she's been on Grey's a few times now.

In any case I hope we get a resolution to Ben's story that doesn't make Bailey look ridiculous. She needs therapy. He's a firefighter not a frontline soldier the odds of him dying are pretty slim. The more likely scenario is that he gets injured and ends up returning to surgery. As written it feels more like Bailey needs her OCD meds adjusted because she's fixating on Ben's safety. 

I'm not a fan of Station 19 but there's literally no chance that it gets cancelled this year. Even if the move to March makes it collapse (which is a major possibility), it's doing better than the majority of ABC shows, comedy OR drama, and they'll do anything to save all their Shonda properties (they renewed the awfully rated For The People last year for no reason other than it being a Shondaland production). The renewals have nothing to do with buzz or other shows that are similar. S19 delivered a 1.2 for the fall finale and 1.3 earlier in the season, both higher than any season 1 episodes - very few shows have any growth at all. It has the lowest overall year-to-year decline of any ABC drama. There's no scenario where they aren't happy with the numbers.

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

Jo is seemingly also getting a character-centric episode. From TVLine: 

Amelia will not be the only Grey’s Anatomy vet getting the standalone episode treatment this season. Camilla Luddington tells TVLine exclusively that her newly-wedded alter ego, Jo, will take center stage in a spring outing penned by co-exec producer Elisabeth R. Finch and directed by co-star/EP Debbie Allen.

“It was the hardest episode I ever shot,” Luddington declares. “It’s unbelievable. It’s so powerful.”

The actress previously told TVLine that the ABC drama’s current (and recently expanded) 15th season would delve deeper into her character’s mysterious backstory via her never-before-seen biological parents, whose introduction fans have long been anticipating. Luddington declined to say whether the Jo-centric episode in question will mark mom and/or dad’s arrival, revealing only that the installment features “a lot” of Kim Raver’s Teddy and is rooted in themes both “medical and personal.”

I was pretty excited that Jo was getting an episode until I read Teddy will be all over it. I wish it was Alex.

We're going to meet the last Shepherd sister. In reading the comments someone speculated that Kate could be the Kate Jackson mentioned from the support group. Kate lost a brother. I'm assuming she will be part of Amelia's upcoming big episode.

https://tvline.com/2019/02/07/greys-anatomy-kathleen-shepherd-season-15-cast-dereks-sister/

• Love 2
On 12/30/2018 at 5:46 PM, BaseOps said:

I'm not a fan of Station 19 but there's literally no chance that it gets cancelled this year. Even if the move to March makes it collapse (which is a major possibility), it's doing better than the majority of ABC shows, comedy OR drama, and they'll do anything to save all their Shonda properties (they renewed the awfully rated For The People last year for no reason other than it being a Shondaland production). The renewals have nothing to do with buzz or other shows that are similar. S19 delivered a 1.2 for the fall finale and 1.3 earlier in the season, both higher than any season 1 episodes - very few shows have any growth at all. It has the lowest overall year-to-year decline of any ABC drama. There's no scenario where they aren't happy with the numbers.

I agree, the only reason Scandal ended was because everyone was ready for the show to be over including Shonda and the ratings had dropped a bit. Other wise they would have tried to keep that show going. I don't see Station 19 being over any time soon even if they try to carry Miranda and Ben's plots between the two and the show doesn't return for another month. Then again, ABC is renewing shows that just HORRIBLE or they are running out of ideas in their first seasons like: A Million Little Things, Fresh off the Boat or Single Parents. 

• Love 1

Total speculation: what if the final Shepard sister turns out to be Jo's fire station mom? Like she never told anyone she had a baby, just dropped Jo and ran. Total soap plot but isn't that what GA is anyway? 🙂

• LOL 1

Nah... if anything, she'll be the 'Kate' that Jackson was talking to on his trip. But I imagine we'll only see Amy Acker for one episode and it'll be the Amelia standalone. 

Alex's mom is set to appear in at least two episodes, starting next week. 

• Love 1

Alex's mom is around for at least three episodes, so I'm starting to be worried that she'll be hospitalized this week. I hope not, but I guess it could give some interesting material to Alex. Carina also appears in at least two, 15x16 and 15x17. 

• Useful 1

Also, we can nip a persistent rumour in the bud before it even pops up again: Ellen told USA Today that she and Shonda have discussed when the show will end, and they've both stated they want "all of the remaining originals" to be there until the end. So, no, we won't be seeing Bailey or Richard or Alex leave this year or next. It sounds like basically if any of them wants out, the show will wrap up. I have a feeling S16 will be the end. 

(edited)

Actually that makes sense. She's probably there to meet her new nephew and soon-to-be niece. And hopefully whap her brother upside his head:-)

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 2

So, if we go by the actual ages of the actors playing them, the Shepard sibs go: Nancy (53), Derek (53), Liz (45), Kate (42), Amelia (37). 

Although going by their actual ages would make Nancy Pants six months older than Derek. 

The Jo-centric episode is 15x19, "Silent All These Years". 

When a trauma patient arrives at Grey Sloan, it forces Jo to confront her past; Bailey and Ben have to talk to Tuck about dating.

Camila called it, "The hardest episode I ever shot." Krista wrote on Twitter, "I’m going to declare right now that this will be one of the most powerful episodes of #GreysAnatomy in 15 seasons. Possibly THE MOST powerful." Debbie Allen directed. 

Camilla also teased to enjoy the jolex honeymoon period while it lasts.

To be honest my issue with them is more about how they were given zero storylines so far rather then how happy they are so I’ll be disappointed if the latter half of the season is them in relationship peril. I think we’ve enough couple drama as it is.

• Love 4

Yea, I've enjoyed the moments they've been given so far this season, but I wish we'd have seen a bit more of a surgical storyline for Jo. Last year we finally saw them really develop her as a great surgeon, but we haven't seen much follow-through this year. I like Alex as chief, I like his mom showing up, I love that he's happy... but Jo has felt a bit absent in the larger sense. 

I'm wondering where exactly this episode is going and I'm excited to see it. The teaser is generic enough that we don't know whether it's going to be about abuse, about her family, etc. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, BaseOps said:

Yea, I've enjoyed the moments they've been given so far this season, but I wish we'd have seen a bit more of a surgical storyline for Jo. Last year we finally saw them really develop her as a great surgeon, but we haven't seen much follow-through this year. I like Alex as chief, I like his mom showing up, I love that he's happy... but Jo has felt a bit absent in the larger sense. 

I would argue that Alex doesn't have a lot going on himself. Sure he is chief and he seems to actually like it, but what have we actually see him do in that position in the last 10 episodes, besides wandering the halls looking busily at his ipad and being reprimanded by Bailey? From ep. 15x09 to 15x13 he barely had any screentime whatsoever.

I like that his mom is here, but what are the, even doing with that? What's the purpose of having her around? Just to nudge Jo and Alex to start making babies? So far I'm a bit let down by her visit. It's not an actual storyline, she's just there. The very least I expected was for her and Alex to have real talks about big and important things, like Alex's siblings (how and what they're doing, is Alex even in touch with them?), possibly a talk about his father, the past, and how much they've missed of each others' lives. Just something that goes a little deeper than Helen taking apart a doorknob for Alex. I did like that conversation, but I'm desperate for something with a little more substance for Alex.

Edited by GSMHvisitor
  • Love 6

That's the episode that "features a lot of Teddy", right? I was wondering how could she be possibly connected to someone from Jo's past, but now it's pretty obvious that person will be a patient treated by her.

It's just that, shouldn't she be on maternity leave by then? Or is there going to be another time jump in the meantime?

6 hours ago, BaseOps said:

Looks like Jo goes to Pittsburgh to meet her mom.

Two major networks. Two heart-pounding, heart-warming dramas. One unforgettable moment in broadcast history.  This Is Us and Gray's Anatomy. The crossover event.

Join us next Tuesday and Thursday nights, when Brooke meets Bec

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

Two major networks. Two heart-pounding, heart-warming dramas. One unforgettable moment in broadcast history.  This Is Us and Gray's Anatomy. The crossover event.

Join us next Tuesday and Thursday nights, when Brooke meets Bec

That's exactly what I was thinking. I bet it will turn out Jo is really a Pearson lol

• LOL 2
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Why do I have the feeling that there will be a sweeps month (May) episode where Teddy starts to deliver early, and Delucca senior will have the bag standing by to save the baby?     

Papa DeLuca left this week, didn't he? It doesn't seem like he's around anymore, unless they bring him back at the end of the season. It does seem odd how quickly the story wrapped, though. So maybe they will bring it up again. 

Megan's return is in 15x20. 

“The Whole Package” – Owen and Teddy have to deal with the surprise arrival of Megan Hunt, who knows nothing about their situation. Catherine preps for her first surgery back on a war veteran who’s not emotionally prepared for his procedure. Meredith worries about DeLuca operating alone with Richard.

I’m starting to wonder if this could finally be the end of Owen and he’ll leave at the end of this season. I feel that they’ve really exhausted all potential storylines for him at this point. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I’m starting to wonder if this could finally be the end of Owen and he’ll leave at the end of this season. I feel that they’ve really exhausted all potential storylines for him at this point. 

Never! They will make up another sister or a dead wife or secret lovechild or make his PTSD return or come up with something else. KMK is also directing and for whatever reason the writers of the show really love Owen. He is everywhere and I'm so beyond sick and tired of him. I can't take another season like this where they keep catering to the most horrible man on the show over and over again, but I don't believe Owen is going anywhere ever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Unless Teddy is leaving too, I don't see. Krista clearly loves writing for him, he's dominated so much of the storytelling these last two years.

2 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Perhaps. I actually can see both Owen and Teddy leaving at the end of the season with their new baby. They're already setting up Koracick to be the fall guy when it comes to Towen, so I do believe there's a chance that Owen/Teddy won't come back next season. I mean, it's not a guarantee but if they do both leave, I won't be surprised.

However, it's just as likely for both to stick around next season and take more screentime from other characters.

• Love 2

So who will turn out to be Jo's long lost daddy?     I'm assuming the woman she met at the door was actually her mother, and not telling her that she covered up for someone else who had a baby.      The worst I can imagine is it's Alex's wandering Daddy, or the woman doesn't know who the father is because it was rape by a stranger, or else incest.    How sad there are all of these hideous possibilities.    At least they're not creepy enough to have Jo turn out to be another half sister with Meredith's so-called father.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I can already see the heavy handed contrivance with Jo's episode (15x19). Watch it be that her biological mom was r*ped and that is the reason, or one of the reasons, Jo was abandoned. 

If this turns out to be the case, tptb are doing way too much with one character. Like it's not enough that she was homeless/lived in her car and then was in an abusive relationship. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, funnygirl said:

I can already see the heavy handed contrivance with Jo's episode next week (15x19). Watch it be that her biological mom was r*ped and that is the, or one of the reasons, Jo was put into the system (adoption? foster care? I forget).

If this turns out to be the case, tptb are doing way too much with one character. Like it's not enough that she was homeless/lived in her car and then was in an abusive relationship. 

With the flashing "sensitive material; viewer discretion advised!" label on the promos my first thought was that Jo's bio-mom was raped by her father or a male member of her family and the result of that was Brooke/Jo.

• Love 5

My first reaction to the promo was incest or rape. I'm not surprised. I didn't think that Jo meeting her mom, who left her at a fire station when she was two weeks old, would go smoothly. The end of this week's episode also showed that the meeting left Jo incredibly despondent and upset. 

I sort of figured that the happy, optimistic mood that led her to finally search for her mom meant that the discovery would be darker, too. She saw Alex so happy with his mom after all this time and thought maybe she could have the same thing. I hope this leads to an actual story arc for the back half of the season for Jo. 

5 hours ago, BaseOps said:

My first reaction to the promo was incest or rape. I'm not surprised. I didn't think that Jo meeting her mom, who left her at a fire station when she was two weeks old, would go smoothly. The end of this week's episode also showed that the meeting left Jo incredibly despondent and upset. 

I sort of figured that the happy, optimistic mood that led her to finally search for her mom meant that the discovery would be darker, too. She saw Alex so happy with his mom after all this time and thought maybe she could have the same thing. I hope this leads to an actual story arc for the back half of the season for Jo. 

Back half? More like final handful. And let's not forget one of those is an Amelia centric. (Sorry for being so bitter, but I can't help it.)

• Love 2