Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

Haven't read the sides, but here's a point of fact re PD and the Porsche: His current racing sponsor is Porsche. The company is highly unlikely to sign off on a product placement that has one of their drivers crashing one of their vehicles.

Will there be a character death? Who knows? Frankly, I think this show could stand to lose a doctor or three from the bloated cast, and I have several candidates in mind. :-)  Derek's my favorite character, so I admit I'm hoping it's not him, and I don't think it's likely to be. While I think Shonda would kill Derek in a heartbeat--it's just the kind of attention-grabbing, shock value moment she lives for--I don't think the network would let her. For all the lip service about Grey's being an ensemble, ABC's promo materials consistently present EP and PD as the faces of the show. Last year they both signed two-year extensions which would take them through S12. Unless there's been some change in PD's contract, I don't think Derek's in danger.

• Love 5

I really would love if the killed a main character and then for once avoided replacing said main character with 2 or 3 crappier replacements.

I´d say instead of killing one of the main characters - get rid of Amelia, Stephanie, Jo - the show´s weakest actresses eating up too much screentime.

• Love 2

I really would love if the killed a main character and then for once avoided replacing said main character with 2 or 3 crappier replacements.

You don't want another sister for Meredith? There could be a Grey brother or 2 floating around out there also.

• Love 2
(edited)

You don't want another sister for Meredith? There could be a Grey brother or 2 floating around out there also.

Wasn't there speculation back in the day that Avery was initially going to be the Weber/Ellis lovechild?

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1
(edited)

To me, 11x21 seems like it will mostly take place away from GSMH. My theory is Derek suggests he and Meredith go on a road trip/vacation away from GSMH. He's trying to fix his marriage, so it makes sense that they would go for some alone time. The only people we know for sure were on set during the filming of this episode were EP and PD. Everyone else was radio silent/no BTS pictures. Also seems like they were on location almost every day. Also, this season parallels S4 in many ways. Derek wanted to take Meredith on a getaway then, so maybe they actually go. They can't go on a getaway without major drama though, since this is Shondaland. 

My guess is they either witness or come across an accident, then decide to help out. PD was on location. They would have shot the accident on a green screen most likely, and if he was lying there injured, as someone mentioned, I don't think he would have needed to miss two races for filming. I think he's actually in the field, saving lives. 

Someone said the media was on set for 11x21. That's actually wrong. They were on set for 11x20. 

Edited by darkxtwisty
  • Love 2

Does anyone else besides me have moments where they wonder if Derek really told Meredith about the kiss? I originally thought he did. Otherwise, why would she get so upset??? That he told her and Meredith was going over what he told her, in her head, and that's where the flashbacks came from. I guess I really do still believe that but somewhere in the back of my mind I am wondering if he omitted the kiss from the story. I read a roundtable discussion about episode 17 on TV Fanatic and ALL FOUR writers seemed to think he did not tell her about the kiss. That and they were just so happy in last night's epsiode. No fallout from his admission of kissing another woman, whatsoever! This is just weird to me.

I've heard and read the speculation. I believe he told her because she was extremely upset about it all day, and the flashbacks we saw were all right after we saw Meredith, and I believe it was her envisioning what Derek told her.

A person at the location where they are filming (according to the dates in the sides its 11x22) posted a couple of photos on twitter. Briefly - Patrick is on location, there's a huge car crash (no details if he's in the crash or not, someone asked), Ellen is not on location.

Pictures that I saw show a Corvette upended, and I think on fire. There's another car that's dented and wrecked. Derek's Porsche is intact in the background.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pictures that I saw show a Corvette upended, and I think on fire. There's another car that's dented and wrecked. Derek's Porsche is intact in the background.

I can't beleive the writers would imply Derek in a car crash and let him die altough Patrick Dempsey races. The message woulf be horrible

Edited by BoaGreys

I can't beleive the writers would imply Derek in a car crash and let him die altough Patrick Dempsey races. The message woulf be horrible

I don't think he's dying, either, despite a particular fandom's vocal wish on social media, but it'd be just like Shonda to do this LOL. I don't think the manufacturer of his race car, Porsche, would be all too happy, either, although most people are able to separate Derek the character from Patrick the race car driver ;)

• Love 1

If Derek's car is intact how are the writers implying Derek is dead? I have said all along that I don't think Derek dies but I don't see him being a race car driver being the reason. April's baby died when the actress was pregnant so clearly real life of the actor doesn't always match up to the character.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think he's dying, either, despite a particular fandom's vocal wish on social media, but it'd be just like Shonda to do this LOL..

If fandom being vocal about wanting a character dead mattered all that would be left on the show would be Meredith and Derek since that fandom has been wishing at least half the characters dead for years, including baby Sofia. 

I don't believe for a even a split second that Shonda would ever kill off her McDreamy but if they were going to they wouldn't need to crash a Porsche. They didn't crash a real ferry either. That is what special effects are for. No way would they spend all that money on a car to crash it and its probably not too easy to find a Porsche junked to buy cheap and crash.

Edited by maasa

If fandom being vocal about wanting a character dead mattered all that would be left on the show would be Meredith and Derek since that fandom has been wishing at least half the characters dead for years, including baby Sofia. 

I don't believe for a even a split second that Shonda would ever kill off her McDreamy but if they were going to they wouldn't need to crash a Porsche. They didn't crash a real ferry either. That is what special effects are for. No way would they spend all that money on a car to crash it and its probably not too easy to find a Porsche junked to buy cheap and crash.

Wow, I read almost everything and having Sofia dead is a new one to me!

You're right, of course, that they wouldn't have to crash a real Porsche. In the picture that I saw, there were three cars and two were extremely damaged, and the third, A Porsche, was intact. I would guess that a wrecked Porsche would be in the mix in those pictures, but of course, I could be wrong.

(edited)

I remember some on twop wishing Callie would lose the baby. Everything is already written & filmed and any wishes anywhere for the couple of episodes won't change anything. Can't imagine anyone connected to the show even reads all comment. Even if they did I doubt they would say "hey, let's kill character X because 10 fans want it", so whatever, moving on.

I forgot there was a time jump within episode 22 until I saw it mentioned elsewhere. The sides do not read like its a flashback at all, but that we're in present day and time passes. I'm trying to think of the episodes that Grey's has time move forward inside 1 (not flashing back) and can only recall 1) George's funeral and 2) Callie/Sofia's recovery after the accident. Can anyone think of others?

There were some flashbacks that moved through time to fill us in on what happened with the plane crash - Arizona's leg, everything leading up to Mark dying, etc., Callie/Arizona miscarrying, and recently scenes leading up to Derek kissing Renee. If it turns out to be some kind of flashback then its possible to explain something that comes up in 22.

Just a thought that perhaps someone is injured/dead as the jumps have been used before to speed up the recovery.

Edited by windsprints
I'm trying to think of the episodes that Grey's has time move forward inside 1 (not flashing back) and can only recall 1) George's funeral and 2) Callie/Sofia's recovery after the accident. Can anyone think of others?

S4 finale was laid out as it happened through several days, not sure if it counts as a flash forward so much though. 

I recall reading about Sofia dying but as I remember it, it was tempting on what else Shonda can do, not a specific fandom wishing the death of a baby. 

Just a thought that perhaps someone is injured/dead as the jumps have been used before to speed up the recovery.

They certainly would have saved up the time of the aftermath that they love to do so much. 

(edited)

Wasn't there an episode in season six that shuffled through a few holidays? The only other one I can think of is the Sliding Doors episode with Cristina, but obviously that doesn't count since none of it actually happened!

Ah! Just thought of another. Season three's Six Days two parter. I loved those episodes.

Definitely interested in seeing where the season is going from here...

Edited by manbearpig

Wasn't there an episode in season six that shuffled through a few holidays? The only other one I can think of is the Sliding Doors episode with Cristina, but obviously that doesn't count since none of it actually happened!

Ah! Just thought of another. Season three's Six Days two parter. I loved those episodes.

Definitely interested in seeing where the season is going from here...

Yes, Six Days! Those 2 episodes were so good how did I forget them? 

You're right, Holidaze was the episode that covered Thanksgiving to New Year's. No death, funeral or anyone recovering in that one so there goes my theory about the flash forward to be for that reason in 22. Holidaze showed Richard's drinking progressing and Mark's daughter popping up.

Yesterday Dempsey was still filming episode 21. It was still on location. An extra said he was the only main cast member there (the other are already filming episode 22) Another extra said the episode 21 is a gamechanger episode. That rekindles the rumor of a fatal crash for Derek Shepherd because in the sides there is a character who die and this character is not in the casting call. Some people say that character is Derek

(edited)

I think if it was really Derek they would keep the whole set very closed,no photos woud be leaked,not with extras,like with the plane crash shooting, I think  there were no photos released at that time.

I think Derek is involved in the crash but he is not injured.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
(edited)

Haven't read the sides, but here's a point of fact re PD and the Porsche: His current racing sponsor is Porsche. The company is highly unlikely to sign off on a product placement that has one of their drivers crashing one of their vehicles.

Will there be a character death? Who knows? Frankly, I think this show could stand to lose a doctor or three from the bloated cast, and I have several candidates in mind. :-)  Derek's my favorite character, so I admit I'm hoping it's not him, and I don't think it's likely to be. While I think Shonda would kill Derek in a heartbeat--it's just the kind of attention-grabbing, shock value moment she lives for--I don't think the network would let her. For all the lip service about Grey's being an ensemble, ABC's promo materials consistently present EP and PD as the faces of the show. Last year they both signed two-year extensions which would take them through S12. Unless there's been some change in PD's contract, I don't think Derek's in danger.

That´s  a really poignant remark. We also have to remember this show is not about boys /in real life we call them men,but for Rhimes they are boys/ so they might be the ones to get rid of with no or just a little pain maybe for Shonda.

(edited)
I think if it was really Derek they would keep the whole set very closed,no photos woud be leaked,not with extras,like with the plane crash shooting, I think  there were no photos released at that time.

IIRC, there weren't any extras involved in the plane crash. The only guest actor was the pilot. I'm not familiar with Griffith Park but from reading comments on twitter/instagram they seem to be filming an a fairly public area where they can only block off so much (saw a picture of the road where people could hike up to see, etc).  The only thing that has been leaked is that there's a car crash and Derek is there. I still don't think he dies but big storylines really aren't being leaked.

Edited by windsprints
(edited)

I was talking about no photos would be leaked from this set at all if it was supposed to be kept a secret. I know the only extra/guests star from the plane crash was a pilot, I was talking about photos with PD released now,they must be either fans or extras.

(edited)
I was talking about photos with PD released now,they must be either fans or extras.

As far as I know, the pics were with part of the crew and very few extras. However, the pics aren't that revealing, with exception of some of the crew that actually tweeted pics of the crash. The extras barely took pics of PD sitting down. 

Maybe they're getting smarter about it.

I'm going to be disappointed if nobody dies. But I wonder why did they choose to make episode 21 the big one. I've seen other shows do it but GA never does.

Edited by AnitaM86

There were fan reports of seeing them filming at Big Bear for the plane crash. I think there were a couple of pictures also. There were spoilers about there being a plane crash in the finale and about someone dying a couple of weeks before we saw the episode. I'm not seeing any more leaks with episode 21 than there's been before but YMMV. I'm sure if Shonda thinks people are actually concerned about Derek dying then she'll comfort the MerDer fans and tell them Derek isn't dying. She usually does.

• Love 1

I've been seeing people already ruling Derek dead and being so sure about Patrick's departure even more so now that he's shooting a scene in Seattle. I don't think folks understand how much money the show garners and that ABC can afford to send Patrick to Seattle for a day of shooting.

AnitaM86, the show is currently shooting episode 22. But speculation is that Derek in Seattle is somehow part of episode 21. We won't know until we know. But I don't understand, if this would be Patrick's last season, why Shonda wouldn't use him until the very end of 24. The idea that he dies or goes away before then just seems silly to me. And a waste.

(edited)
PD just tweeted a pic of him in a ferryboat, so I guess we can officially rule out Derek's death now. They should be shooting 11x22 now, correct?

He's always been ruled out for me but remember Dead Denny? Being dead doesn't mean you can't be in the next episodes!

Here's the picture: https://instagram.com/p/1Q2W0HI6DB/  Que talk of him flinging himself over the side.

(I am joking)

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2
He's always been ruled out

You wouldn't believe how many people believed he's dying. And how many still expect him to die and this is his afterlife. 

remember Dead Denny? Being dead doesn't mean you can't be in the next episodes!

Maybe he becomes a zombie and I finally get my zombie apocalypse. I dig this idea. 

• Love 3
Maybe he becomes a zombie and I finally get my zombie apocalypse. I dig this idea.

That could be the finale cliffhanger. Everyone thinks he's gone for good then he appears as a zombie. You've been waiting for years for this, it could be your year!

I can't tell for sure from the photos but I think there is a possibility that he is filming the ferry for episode 21. I say that because the color of the shirt looks the same to me but the angle of today's makes it hard to get a really good look. Anyone else think that?

Photo from on location for 21

Photo from Patrick from today

That could be the finale cliffhanger. Everyone thinks he's gone for good then he appears as a zombie. You've been waiting for years for this, it could be your year!

I can't tell for sure from the photos but I think there is a possibility that he is filming the ferry for episode 21. I say that because the color of the shirt looks the same to me but the angle of today's makes it hard to get a really good look. Anyone else think that?

Photo from on location for 21

Photo from Patrick from today

I think he wore the same jean (with a lapel) during the shooting in Grffith Park

I wonder if 11x22 is a continuation of 11x21?  I can't believe they are still shooting 11x21 when it airs is 3 weeks!  Did anyone else notice Patrick seems to be shooting all his scenes alone?  The 11x21 sides imply there are many (i think at least 3 or 4) at the "accident scene".  

note: this not a conspiracy theory or related to Derek's rumored death.  Doctors don't get very many solo scenes, especially with such a large cast so it really stands out.  

I wonder if 11x22 is a continuation of 11x21?

Could be. Even if its not technically a two-parter it could pick up minutes/shortly after 11x21.

I think the location shooting always adds time and often has odd scheduling due to travel, permits, etc. They even could have scheduled the trip to Seattle around Patrick's, a director's, producer's personal schedule too. The ferry will probably end up being a 30 second scene so I can't imagine it would take too long to edit it in. There was overlap in filming so its really hard to tell which episode the ferry is for. Hell, it could even be preshot for one of the last two.

Did anyone else notice Patrick seems to be shooting all his scenes alone?  The 11x21 sides imply there are many (i think at least 3 or 4) at the "accident scene".

If Derek comes across an accident scene and is racing to save people while awaiting help to arrive then I don't think its odd that it was him and the extras/guest actors. 

Doctors don't get very many solo scenes, especially with such a large cast so it really stands out.

True. But we have had characters get centric episodes this season. Derek hasn't really had a big episode since season 5 when he snapped in surgery has he? Maybe they decided to give him a big episode since he missed some this season?

(edited)

Ausiello posted a prediction on his AA column saying that GA might do a "go big or go home" finale but I doubt it. This episode has taken forever to shoot, it seems. My guess is that this one will be big with no one going home.

Derek hasn't really had a big episode since season 5 when he snapped in surgery has he? Maybe they decided to give him a big episode since he missed some this season?

Technically, S6 if we count his centric episode and the shooting. My guess is that you're right and they are giving him a big episode to sort of complement his absence, regardless of reason. Whatever it is, I'm good with that. 

I won't be surprised if he dies this all stems from the comment Patrick made.

You gotta be more specific on which comments and when. PD has criticized GA for a long time now (agree or disagree with the criticism) and if they didn't terminate his contract then, I doubt they'll do it now. I believe losing him for good could cost the show big time and ABC (rightfully so) wouldn't take the chance. Besides, I recall the same rumors for S8 finale and he didn't die. So there's that. 

You've been waiting for years for this, it could be your year!

*inserts the yellow prayer hands emoji here* I need this so bad. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 2
(edited)

You gotta be more specific on which comments and when. PD has criticized GA for a long time now (agree or disagree with the criticism) and if they didn't terminate his contract then, I doubt they'll do it now. I believe losing him for good could cost the show big time and ABC (rightfully so) wouldn't take the chance. Besides, I recall the same rumors for S8 finale and he didn't die. So there's that.

He said in November he wouldn't be on Grey's much longer. I assume that's why people are speculating he dies. 

Edited by choclatechip45

He said in November he wouldn't be on Grey's much longer. I assume that's why people are speculating he dies. 

In retrospect, that comment could've been referring to the 6 episodes that he was not in.

I think that people in general are not realizing that, since Patrick is doing most of his racing overseas this year, he has way more travel time and greater time changes in terms of time zones which can cause jet lag and fatigue.  Therefore, he's going to need more time off from Grey's.  That can account for him having more solo scenes and needing to shoot as many scenes as possible each day.  It also comes into play more now because the WEC season has begun and he has 2 overseas races in a 4 week time frame.  There's one in the UK this weekend and one in Belgium on May 2nd.

I do not believe that Derek is going to die.  The reality of Patrick's/Grey's circumstances does not support the speculation.  I think people are grasping at straws to have something they consider to be "juicy" to gossip about.

• Love 1

Episode 23 side summary (credit to Calzonafan2014)

I think Amelia is going to be pregnant. It mirrors there being a patients who are about to get married but got pregnant when they first met and have been getting to know one another. My guess is that its Owen or Amelia supervising the intern who has trouble with the chest tube.  I think its Meredith with Keith and Keith telling her all about how he and Beth did things backwards but have been learning about each other gets her to drop her disapproval.

Other option could be Maggie with the guy she's dating. I don't think Jo is an option because she and Alex have been together for awhile. If Stephanie dates someone between 20-22 then she could be an option as well. Still, going with Amelia for now.

Episode 22 seems to have a time jump so we may see whoever is pregnant (if they are) further along and not just finding out.

Edited by windsprints

If your guess about Amelia is true, that would make:

Richard & Ellis

Mark & Sloan Sloan's mom (heh)

Addison & Mark

Cristina & Burke

Callie & Mark

Cristina & Owen

Meredith & Derek (at least we knew they used "the thingy" when she became pregnant before her miscarriage)

Jackson & April

and possibly Amelia & Owen

This is the dumbest group of doctors .

• Love 3

I'm going to guess we find out at the end of ep 21 (or maybe beginning of 22) that Derek landed in DC and came across (or caused) the accident scene on his way to White House, therefore missing the meeting.  Then in 11x22 we see him helping at the scene and going to the hospital with the victims.  This would definitely explain the reason for a new hospital and casting new doctors, plus why he was mostly seen filming without any other major cast members.  Would be boring, but at least plausible (which means that it probably won't happen...too logical).

I agree that if a cast member is pregnant it would be Amelia.  It doesn't make sense for any of the other docs, except maybe Maggie.  But I don't think they'll go there. Shonda loves her "accidental"  pregnancies.

I think it will be Derek on the ferry on his way, Derek comes across the accident and stops to help never getting to the airport. I say this because there was a lot of car discussion upthread where people said Derek's car was the undamaged Porsche SUV. Derek wouldn't have his car if he flew to DC and came across the accident unless he rented the same car as he drives (implausible but it is Grey's so possible!). If Meredith can't reach him and doesn't know what his flight info was (who wouldn't know their husband's flight info but again its Grey's) or is just completely panicked because of them all being in a crash so its #WhereIsDerek? all episode long while we see Derek helping people at the site. Guessing everything with Derek will be resolved and he'll be off in DC in 22.

I am believing less and less that anyone dies, at least in 21/22. If someone does my thought after last night is Catherine. Wasn't she flying out last night?  The next episode seems to pick up right after (going by the promos) and we saw everyone other than Derek safe at the hospital didn't we? 

The scenes in the other hospital could maybe be some doctors going to help out where most of the crash victims are being brought. I thought there were pictures of Camilla and Jerrika filming at the other hospital but I could definitely be confused.

Edited: Oops I should probably take it all back. I thought next episode was the big crash.

Edited by windsprints

I agree that nothing will happen to Derek but where will he be all of episode 20 then? Will the crash be a flashback in 21? And why would Patrick Dempsey be sending selfies out now? Doesn't that kind of ruin the #ZomgWhere'sDerek?!?! drama?

I agree that if someone is preggers it will be Amelia. I have whiplash. Strangers to lovers to parents in what 12-15 episodes? That's fast even got this show.

I think it will be Derek on the ferry on his way, Derek comes across the accident and stops to help never getting to the airport. I say this because there was a lot of car discussion upthread where people said Derek's car was the undamaged Porsche SUV. Derek wouldn't have his car if he flew to DC and came across the accident unless he rented the same car as he drives (implausible but it is Grey's so possible!). If Meredith can't reach him and doesn't know what his flight info was (who wouldn't know their husband's flight info but again its Grey's) or is just completely panicked because of them all being in a crash so its #WhereIsDerek? all episode long while we see Derek helping people at the site. Guessing everything with Derek will be resolved and he'll be off in DC in 22.

I am believing less and less that anyone dies, at least in 21/22. If someone does my thought after last night is Catherine. Wasn't she flying out last night?  The next episode seems to pick up right after (going by the promos) and we saw everyone other than Derek safe at the hospital didn't we? 

The scenes in the other hospital could maybe be some doctors going to help out where most of the crash victims are being brought. I thought there were pictures of Camilla and Jerrika filming at the other hospital but I could definitely be confused.

Edited: Oops I should probably take it all back. I thought next episode was the big crash.

I was just commenting about the accident and "death" being in 22 (edit 21, i am getting my episodes confused!) when you edited :).  But I did want to comment that I think there was a lot of confusion because Camilla and Jerrika posted some BTS pics during the same time frame they were shooting in the new/different hospital, however I believe their scenes were actually in the tunnels.  I was confused myself and I remember studying the pics intently (err, i probably shouldn't admit to that).  

let' see if this link works https://twitter.com/beancake/status/579694136934019073

Can't add a quote in my edit...however the most of pics actually posted by Patrick were just yesterday on the Ferry and one of him in the car early on in filming 21.  The rest were all posted by fans or extras which ABC/Shondaland can't really control.  But I do agree that seeing him on the ferry yesterday does take a way from the "where is derek" bs. 

My thought is ep 20 is all about the plane crash PTSD and Meredith worrying about Derek and we don't see where he is until end of 20 or beginning of 21.  I admit to being terrible at this so I could be completely wrong.

Edited by Greysaddict
I agree that nothing will happen to Derek but where will he be all of episode 20 then? Will the crash be a flashback in 21? And why would Patrick Dempsey be sending selfies out now? Doesn't that kind of ruin the #ZomgWhere'sDerek?!?! drama?

Excellent points! I was completely confused and was thinking next episode it the crash. The only way I can see it all fitting is if the plane crash happens and all the patients are being treated then we see the car accident at the very end. Maybe we're supposed to think its Derek in the accident at that point?  Ineffective, because as you pointed out PD posing with fans and tweeting out photos (which I'm guessing will be picked up by all the entertainment sites and used in articles by the end of the next episode if not this week) removes all the drama. It is kind of weird - when was the last time he tweeted about Grey's before this? 

Thanks, Greysaddict. It makes much more sense if they aren't at the other hospital! 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

I wonder, too, if he causes the accident. I hope not, but he said something about, "I won't go to jail for that, right?" talking about not turning in his cell phone to the government. I hope he wasn't texting while driving, because that's illegal in Virginia and in D.C., and certainly if he caused an accident because of it. There's also been a lot of focus on cell phones.

Of course, my disclaimer is I am always, always wrong when I speculate.