Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

Given that the season is over, this spoiler thread should start seeing some dust collecting on it. If you wish to discuss the finale, please do so in the finale topic.

On the speculation end of things, I've been thinking about the set-ups for season 15 that we were left with and where Krista might intend to go. 

- We have Teddy returning, pregnant, and taking on the role of interim chief. This obviously sets a major obstacle for Owen / Amelia, who everyone pretty much assumed were going to get back together. It should also be an interesting shake-up for pretty much everyone as Bailey has been chief for several years now and Teddy has basically been MIA. It will be interesting to see how she deals with being in charge, both with characters whom she has a past with (Owen, Meredith, Richard) and those who we haven't really seen her interact with yet (DeLuca, Jo, Maggie). 

- Bailey continuing to do surgery but stepping down (temporarily) as chief to explore more outside work and enjoy her life. I think it could be really interesting depending on what Krista cooks up for her. 

- Meredith seems to be finally ready to find new love without all the reservations that she had when Riggs was around. I'd love it if they could get Scott Speedman back (Ellen mentioned that they told him the door was open for his return) but in general it'll be nice to see her having fun with someone new. I also really hope they keep a major focus on Meredith as a great surgeon / mentor. I'm hoping her storyline with Jo continues. 

- Alex and Jo are a bit of a mystery. Obviously if she takes the fellowship they'll either have a brief separate storyline in Boston (like Cristina did for a while) or we'll have a time-jump, which I don't expect given the Teddy storyline. I'm content with Jo choosing to stay in Seattle and become a resident and continue to work under Meredith. I'd love to see Jo pregnant by the end of S15. 

- DeLuca is another mystery. I genuinely have no clue what they plan to do with him. Unless the next relationship they give him is a lot more interesting than Bello, I'd be content to see him stay focused on neuro work with Amelia.

- Maggie and Jackson will presumably have a number of annoying/boring tribulations to go through. 

- A big question that wasn't answered in the finale is whether or not Carina will be back. Basically she'll either get a one-line write-off in the premiere ("My sister went back to Italy..."), stick around for a few episodes, or become a regular. The fact that they didn't write her off at the end of S14 makes me believe that she'll be sticking around, but it could come down to contracts. 

• Love 2
On 22.05.2018 at 6:00 PM, BaseOps said:

On the speculation end of things, I've been thinking about the set-ups for season 15 that we were left with and where Krista might intend to go. 

- We have Teddy returning, pregnant, and taking on the role of interim chief. This obviously sets a major obstacle for Owen / Amelia, who everyone pretty much assumed were going to get back together. It should also be an interesting shake-up for pretty much everyone as Bailey has been chief for several years now and Teddy has basically been MIA. It will be interesting to see how she deals with being in charge, both with characters whom she has a past with (Owen, Meredith, Richard) and those who we haven't really seen her interact with yet (DeLuca, Jo, Maggie).

Well there's a possibility that Teddy is pregnant with someone else and not Owen BUT Owen and Amelia would of course assume it's Owen's baby so that would be typical Grey's drama when everybody is sad and mad for no good reason and nobody talks to anybody so of course they would be mad and sad for a loong time until accidentally someone finds out it's not Owen's baby but that would be too late because someone would already do something kind of "you-can't-take-that-back" bad

And I really really really don't want Teddy back.

Can anybody tell me what happened to Leah Murphy? She 'started' the Minnick war and then disappeared?

• Love 4

Reminder: this topic is for spoilers and speculation thereof. Discussion of events that have already occurred should go in the Past Seasons topic. Random speculation about the season should go in the Unspoiled Spec topic. 

We got some small tid-bits from Camilla's TVLine interview at Comic-Con. She said that there's no time-jump; season 15 starts pretty much where 14 left off. She was also told that Jo picks her specialty this season.

They start shooting in Seattle this week for multiple episodes (like last season). Table read for the premiere is this Thursday. 

(edited)

Here's the interview for anyone who wants to view it. I too wouldn't be opposed to meeting Jos north family at some point before the show ends.

Also I'm delighted for Camilla that she made it through an interview with Ausiello and he didn't bring up Izzie.

https://tvline.com/2018/07/21/greys-anatomy-season-15-spoilers-camilla-luddington-video-jo/

eta according to Twitter Ellen and Giscamo are in Seattle. 

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 1
(edited)

Most of the cast is in Seattle. Jesse, Ellen, Giacomo, Kim and Kevin have all posted on Instagram 

EDIT: A few scenes shot so far: 

- One with Amelia, Owen, and Teddy. Amelia seems to be running after Teddy.

- One with Jackson and Maggie. 

- One with Teddy and Meredith sitting together on a bench (I'm excited at the prospect of this friendship, honestly). 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

Thank you so much for clearing up exactly who was in Seattle, @BaseOps . When I saw the previous post in this thread, the first thing to come to mind "aw, shite... they're really going to go there with Andrew/Meredith!" XD

I wonder if Teddy is running away in tears over Owen telling her to get lost just like she told him to get lost back in Germany. And you know what, I bet neither Teddy nor Owen has told Amelia the truth. Surprise, surprise. /snark

Amelia definitely knows that Owen pissed off Teddy when he went to Germany. She gave him plenty of shit for it. As to whether or not she knows Teddy's pregnant, Owen is just now finding out so I'm not really going to pass judgment on whether or not he's looped Amelia in yet or not. I hope it turns out that Amelia is going after Teddy simply to offer support and to assure her that she is stepping back and letting them work it out.

• Love 1

Looks like they're wrapped in Seattle; Camilla mentioned that the first table read is tomorrow! Jesse Williams was involved in at least one night shoot last night, and there was also a 'sisters' scene shot with Meredith, Amelia, and Maggie having ice cream together. If they use these shots like they did last season, they'll be dispersed throughout the season. Remember, a lot of them were generic-ish shots that could be added to monologues at the beginning and end of episodes (Meredith on the ferry, Alex going for a run, etc.). They're mostly to add to the atmosphere of the show actually being in Seattle so things don't always feel so confined to a hospital and other sets. 

• Love 1

@anna0852 I would not be surprised if Amelia says she is going to take a step back. This is the whole new person KV created post-tumor. Before the tumor, I don't think Amelia would be as willing to let Owen and Teddy be together. It's not that I hated the old Amelia (I loved her, hate this new Amelia) but just that she reminded me so much of myself! Spoke her mind, stood up for herself, was arrogant, brash, selfish, didn't give a f*ck what anyone else thought or felt. But now, they have her backing off the second something doesn't quite go right. She's become so little and meek. I hate her now.

I wonder if Betsy is returning. Peyton made an IG post saying she would be seeing Caterina soon. Assuming she is in L.A. now and not too sure about Caterina.

• Love 1
(edited)

I want to see Jo go into Neurology. Wasn't she working with Derek for a little while? What happened to all that. I know, I know. President calls, blah blah, car crash, Amelia takes over, all this shit happens with Paul. But I believe Jo used to work under Derek in Neuro, so I would love to see Jo work alongside Amelia.

I think we ought to have a drinking game.

1 shot per googly eyes.
5 shots per passionate make out session.
10 shots per sex scene.
+ 1 extra shot every time someone rolls on their back after sex, says "Oh, my God." breathlessly.

Edited by kinnej5

Carina is definitely back in a guest capacity, as are Glasses and Casey (so I assume all of the interns). They've all posted on Insta about being onset. ABC released the generic season press release and only Kim has been added as a regular. 

“Grey’s Anatomy” stars Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey, Justin Chambers as Alex Karev, Chandra Wilson as Miranda Bailey, James Pickens Jr. as Richard Webber, Kevin McKidd as Owen Hunt, Jesse Williams as Jackson Avery, Camilla Luddington as Jo Wilson, Caterina Scorsone as Amelia Shepherd, Kelly McCreary as Maggie Pierce, Giacomo Gianniotti as Andrew DeLuca and Kim Raver as Teddy Altman.

From Ausiello:

In case there was any doubt, the father of Teddy’s unborn oven bun is definitely Owen. As Kim Raver notes, the finale twist was foreshadowed in Season 14’s 17th episode, which allowed “the audience to understand the love relationship that… [Teddy] and Owen have.” But Raver is quick to remind us that the pair’s road to parenthood will be paved with at least one massive landmine. “It will be complicated because of Owen and Amelia!” the actress exclaims, before teasing that there will also be some “fun stories to tell within that [triangle] story… What I love about how [Teddy] is coming back again is it’s complex. Life is not simple, and that’s the fun of Grey’s.”

Edited by BaseOps

I'm done with this shitfest.

Let me know when there's spoilers hinting at Webber's playboy days back in the day (circa 1980/1981) that involves Catherine.

Bye.

Edited by kinnej5
Had just been looking at another recent post, which was about a shitfic. I meant shitfest.
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

I'm done with this shitfest.

Let me know when there's spoilers hinting at Webber's playboy days back in the day (circa 1980/1981) that involves Catherine.

Bye.

Bye! 

• Love 1

But not really since you know, a certain substance just became legal in my state, yo.

I'll probably have a toke or two at quarter of every Thursday, chow down a big heaping bowl of pasta, and just trip out.

Grey's Anatomy will be a lot more tolerable that way, methinks.

• Love 1

No immediate love interest for Meredith, it seems. Per TVLine, Channing Dungey had this to say today at the TCA: 

“Meredith [is going to] have a new trajectory that is more focused on who she is as a single mother and surgeon” — including her “emotional” investigation “into a medical condition that is very close to her own family background and history. Ellen has spoken very loudly about how she doesn’t want all of Meredith’s adventures to be romantic ones.”

“I’m not saying no. I think we’ll get there [eventually]. I’m just saying that she’s on a trajectory that is very much about her evolution as a doctor and a parent. There’s been a lot of dating, and I think [Ellen’s] excited — we’re all excited — to explore some different aspects of the character.”

Asked why Grey’s didn’t further explore the palpable chemistry between Pompeo and Season 14 guest star Scott Speedman by bringing his Dr. Nick Marsh back, Dungey responded, “That’s a question more for [series creator] Shonda [Rhimes] and [showrunner] Krista [Vernoff] because I don’t know all the ins and outs of it, but I agree. I thought that was a fun relationship. But, ultimately, we decided not to keep going with it.”

I wonder does this mean Jo might go into ortho? 

I'm hoping so for a few reasons. Jo was so excited to get the MassGen fellowship so I'm hoping there's a fellowship for her that allows her to specialize & further her career. There's already 3 general attendings so her chances of getting anything interesting professionally are slim if she becomes general attending #4. Also, it would be nice to see Jo have a professional relationship that is completely separate from her relationship with Alex.  He being a recurring character shouldn't matter. We wouldn't need to see him every week.  I also wouldn't mind Chris as a possible love interest for Amelia since Teddy is there for Owen now.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, BaseOps said:

No immediate love interest for Meredith, it seems. Per TVLine, Channing Dungey had this to say today at the TCA: 

“Meredith [is going to] have a new trajectory that is more focused on who she is as a single mother and surgeon” — including her “emotional” investigation “into a medical condition that is very close to her own family background and history. Ellen has spoken very loudly about how she doesn’t want all of Meredith’s adventures to be romantic ones.”

“I’m not saying no. I think we’ll get there [eventually]. I’m just saying that she’s on a trajectory that is very much about her evolution as a doctor and a parent. There’s been a lot of dating, and I think [Ellen’s] excited — we’re all excited — to explore some different aspects of the character.”

Asked why Grey’s didn’t further explore the palpable chemistry between Pompeo and Season 14 guest star Scott Speedman by bringing his Dr. Nick Marsh back, Dungey responded, “That’s a question more for [series creator] Shonda [Rhimes] and [showrunner] Krista [Vernoff] because I don’t know all the ins and outs of it, but I agree. I thought that was a fun relationship. But, ultimately, we decided not to keep going with it.”

This seems like a mistake to me.  Personally, I think that showing Meredith primarily as a mother is boring and Grey's with kids doesn't appeal to me at all.   While I'm okay with the professional stuff, it would be nice to give her a balance of something personal that isn't involving herself in Alex's love life or Amelia's love life or Maggie's love life.  I think that originally Meredith was so popular because she was flawed, vulnerable and relatable, but those things have fallen away over the last few seasons.  Flawed morphed into bitchy and she is successful in nearly every single that she does professionally, to an unrealistic degree.  She doesn't even really get concerned about becoming Ellis or ever seem to doubt her parental choices (which is not realistic or relatable for most people).  Having her embark on a new relationship, either serious or just fun and flirty, would allow her to show some vulnerability and doubt again, and I think that would be a very positive and attractive development for her.  I know that the show is big on emphasizing strong, successful, empowered women and that's great.  But they need to make them human and write them in a way that makes you root for them.  I think Krista's writing has been a big improvement in that area (she has done a good job of making the majority of female characters flawed enough without bordering on stupid), but I still would like to see Meredith get a little bit of her spark back.  No, she doesn't NEED a man to be happy, but a little bit of flirty, lighthearted, and nervous Meredith would be a good thing, IMO.  And I will always, always push back on the notion that a person only gets one great love and now that McDreamy is gone, Meredith should just close up shop, tend to her brood and bury herself in work.  It doesn't have to be that way.  

It looks like Scott Speedman isn't coming back, which really sucks because their few scenes were some of Meredith's best in the past season, but I'm sure they could find someone that Ellen has chemistry with.  I'll even take DeLuca at this point, although I can't really see Meredith being nervous about him or wanting to make a good impression, etc. and that's really what I want to see.

• Love 3

I'm okay with Meredith not being wrapped up in a romantic relationship. There are so many other characters, pairings, and potential pairings that will carry that torch, and not everyone on the show needs to be paired up. Besides, for 11 seasons we've seen Meredith go through everything a relationship can go through with Derek. I think it's a nice change of pace that the female lead's story will have a different focus. 

All this to say, the writers are probably just biding their time until they can find something worthy enough to follow "Merder". I'm sure they have every intention of having Meredith "find love" again. 

• Love 4

I think the Strong Woman Who Doesn't Need A Man angle is a cop out. They're just afraid by publicising a potential relationship for her they're setting themselves up to fail cos all the McDreamy fans will come out of the woodwork to freak out. 

I think enough time has passed and she should find love again. Potentially with someone she has chemistry with. That's where I think they've fallen down with her. Riggs was ruined with bad writing and the rest just lacked any sort of natural vibe.

• Love 2

As long as Krista handles a new romance with care, I'm fine with it. I'm optimistic about season 15 considering that 14 was possibly the best course-correction in the shows history, and to me one of their strongest seasons ever. I thought Martin and Ellen had decent chemistry but the writing in season 13 totally destroyed them as a pairing. Her spark with Scott Speedman's character was fantastic and it was also extremely well written. I kind of like the idea that Nick was this guy who came into her life for a day and changed her whole perspective on everything (that was basically the entire purpose of the episode, with all three stories totally changing those characters in just a few hours) - they weren't meant to be, but they had a great connection and it opened her up to a world of possibilities.

• Love 2

I feel like Russ Brennan needs to return. I feel like we were left hanging with his and Meredith's interaction. He seemed to give her a whole new insight regarding that whole scandal with Maria and Ellis. Would love to see him return, and because many, many, many years of him is owed to me no thanks to Hart Hanson being a twat. :)

• Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 9:18 PM, BaseOps said:

Thatcher is returning! His first appearance since season 7. Also, Ellen Pompeo says that Meredith will do lots of dating this season.

Yay!  Jeff Perry was great on Scandal.  It may be hard to not think of him as Cyrus LOL.  Maybe some other Scandal alumni may turn up (not Scott Foley, as he died on Grey's)  I wonder if Tony Goldwyn will direct an episode or two.

Edited by transitfan
clarification

TVline

Anything on how Teddy’s return on Grey’s Anatomy will affect Owen and Amelia’s relationship? –Ellie
Heck, that is almost the exact question I asked Kevin McKidd when I saw him at ABC’s TCA party. “It’s the ‘Season of Love,’ they say, and love can be complicated. And it is going to be complicated for a while for Owen,” he shared. After all, “Owen has yearned to be a father, for years. It’s what broke him and Cristina up,” he reminds, “and it’s been the Holy Grail for him, to achieve that.” That said, learning that Teddy is carrying his long-awaited scion won’t be all warm fuzzies. “We haven’t played that moment yet,” McKidd said, “but the reality is that the last time we saw them together, she basically said, ‘I never want to speak to you again! We’re done as friends and everything’ — and he deserved it! So, I think it’s going to be fun.”

G;ad he's feeling so upbeat about it.

*yawns*

So will it be like Brooke/Lucas/Peyton but with 40 somethings instead of teenagers?

We need a Naley stat. Who can be the Grey's Naley counterpart? /thinks

I mean, I already know who. But KV wrote one half of them off last year. /snark

• Love 2

Six weeks from premiere date and no spoilers other than the whole Teddy/Owen/Amelia thing being "funtimes"

What's up with that?

I am so desperate for spoilers, that I'll take Jaggie spoilers. I'm that desperate. /nojoke

Edited by kinnej5
On 8/23/2018 at 8:23 PM, kinnej5 said:

Six weeks from premiere date and no spoilers other than the whole Teddy/Owen/Amelia thing being "funtimes"

What's up with that?

I am so desperate for spoilers, that I'll take Jaggie spoilers. I'm that desperate. /nojoke

Alex and Jo are drinking fruity drinks on the beach on their honeymoon.  Not sure if that does it for you, but I have to believe its better than another love triangle!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

TVLine said that Mer is getting new love interest since the show is "the season of love".  Which is about as surprising as the fact that the sun will set tonight.

They've been saying that ever since Derek got run over by that semi.

Personally, I kind of dug Nathan after he stopped being a douche bag.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, statsgirl said:

TVLine said that Mer is getting new love interest since the show is "the season of love".  Which is about as surprising as the fact that the sun will set tonight.

Wasn't the season of love two or three seasons ago when Meredith dated Nathan and Maggie got all pissy about it?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kinnej5 said:

So, this season will feature polyamory, incest, and an age-difference relationship.

At least, that is the vibe I am getting.

* GASP * An age-difference relationship!?!? Disgusting! 

• Love 1

As long as both are over the age of consent. Whatever.

Now to decide what I am most looking forward to...

I would have to go against everything I said about them last year and go with Jackson/Maggie. Unless Sarah Drew decides to make a come-back at the end of season 15.

Edited by kinnej5
  • Love 1

I'm hoping this season resolves story lines quicker, because I'm not sure I want to have characters rehashing the same arguments forever. 

That's one reason I love watching the older season reruns, they have so many episodes a day that the story lines that take an entire season on the first run are resolved in a few days.   And I get to see my favorite episode, with Bailey having her baby.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

From TVLine:

Good news, Jolex fans: When Season 15 kicks off, the newlyweds aren’t just still in the honeymoon phase, “they’re literally on their honeymoon,” says showrunner Krista Vernoff. “We pick up the day after the end of Season 14.” Which means that Owen doesn’t yet know that Teddy’s in Seattle — or that she’s pregnant with his baby. “You’ll see the scene where they see each other for the first time since Germany in the premiere,” the EP promises. After that, the parents-to-be and Amelia will get tangled in what Vernoff calls “the most complicated love triangle I have ever written — [because] there are no villains.” The scribe is less forthcoming about Meredith’s new guy. In fact, “I cannot tell you a single thing about the man who will become the next great love of her life,” she insists. “Not even an adjective.” At least she admits that Grey “has a lot of courters this season, and I think some of them will surprise you.”

BONUS SPOILER!: Vernoff is also reluctant to reveal too much about Chris Carmack’s “ortho god” — even his full name since she says it’s funny. “But we call him Link. He was once the team surgeon for the Seattle Mariners, so he was a bit of a rock star.”

Also: Koracick is back!

• Love 1