Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Frontline

On 12/7/2018 at 8:29 AM, Rap541 said:

And  - right or wrong - culturally communities in America look down on people who take advantage of social benefits if they are white.

Are you suggesting that culturally communities in America do not look down on people of color who take advantage of social benefits or that they look down upon them less?  If so, I suggest you reexamine the welfare queen trope.  The suggestion that poor white people who qualify for social welfare benefits don't take advantage of them due a sort of societal racial bias against their favor is completely out of step with my experience in American politics.

12 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

Are you suggesting that culturally communities in America do not look down on people of color who take advantage of social benefits or that they look down upon them less? 

Not at all. I was responding to the comment on how white supremacists tend to look not so "master race" due to their often obvious poverty and lack of education and touching on the reasons why they often don't see that they're in a similar, if slightly better position than the people of color they oppress.  That has nothing to do with the fact that people of color are routinely shamed for taking benefits. You're right - that's happening, likely even as I type this. 

But... that doesn't mean that there's been a system in place since the first white landowners began encouraging their poor white brethren to blame the equally poor and often more poor people of color for their troubles, all while working the system to make sure that the po' white trash stays well down the rungs of society. Looked at objectively, poor whites have far more common interests with people of color but this notion of "you're white so you *should* be doing better, why aren't you?" shaming and the way society encourages the blame to be placed on the people of color "taking" what the poor whites would otherwise receive (theoretically receive anyway) is a huge part of the problem.

Do note, this in no way means people of color aren't looked down on for taking social benefits. That's absolutely true - and if it's necessary to concede people of color have it the worst, I have absolutely no problem agreeing with that point.