Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E23: Bill/Murray

• Start Topic

As Erica works on her application to Julliard, Adam and Beverly think she needs to do something big to stand out, so they decide to create a music video starring Erica. However, the music video does not go as Adam planned. Meanwhile, Murray ends up bonding with Lainey’s dad, Bill, and Murray learns what it means to be a real friend.

OMG! I was dying when Adam showed Erica what her video looked like. I cracked the hell up when

I saw Bev's floating head from the blue screen! And the "animation" Adam came up with was hilarious.... stick figures that were getting eaten by a dinosaur? I don't quite remember exactly but I laughed so hard.

• Love 1

My family and I were on the floor with the video not to mention Bill and Murray's friendship moments. Sports and food and "ehs", I also got a kick out of the opening scene with the principal catching them and Barry going: "We were kissing and she is hot." He is the Sue Heck of The Goldbergs.

• Love 1
(edited)

Loved Barry's angry response when told that he's always angry.

I was addicted to MTV and the A-ha "Take On Me" video never got old and neither did the "Addicted to Love" girls. Adam and Bev were on the right track, but animation is HARD.

Edited by PattyorSelma

Loved Barry's angry response when told that he's always angry.

I was addicted to MTV and the A-ha "Take On Me" video never got old and neither did the "Addicted to Love" girls. Adam and Bev were on the right track, but animation is HARD.

I remember in the early 80s when my best friend and I were kids. His older sisters who were teens constantly watched Mtv. We loved a few things but we were so sick of it because that was on all the time when they were at home. I know their parents got sick of it too. Now, granted flash forward a decade and my friend and I were watching it more in the late 80s to 90s but there was already that downshift from music videos to other shows. I remember when Real World and Road Rules started. I started watching Mtvs because of those and then maybe a half an hour with regular music videos before I got up and went outside. I get the new feel to it and why so many teen girls and guys were into it. However, Mtv is barely a spot of what made it a much watch of its generation.

I liked that Pops was Murray's real first friend, not Bill. I did enjoy the Bill Murray friendship though.

We get it. Erica sings. Erica sings in every damn episode. I found her plot line funny but am getting reaaaaaally tired of every Erica plot involving her singing. The Garfield doll on a stick was hilarious, as was Bev's floating head.

• Love 2

True story. Right after I watched this episode, I went to dinner with my parents. My Dad, while not as antisocial as Murray, is not a guy who really makes a lot of friends. Then, at dinner, Mom starts telling me about how Dad was going to go to a baseball game with "the guys". "The guys" are three other guys he works with, who I guess have started becoming friends outside of work. He was so embarrassed, and my Mom was so proud! I (again), told my family they need to watch this show. Its our lives, if the Goldbergs were Southern/Midwestern Catholics! 

I laughed so hard at Bev waving that random Garfield in the back of the video. 

• Love 1

I finally got around to catching the episode. Bill giving Murray the Sony Watchman was priceless, as was Murray's "This is perfect for my on-the-go lifestyle!" My parents had a Watchman and it literally never worked. I'd try to watch it while my sister monopolized the TV in our living room, but instead of watching cartoons, all that came through was thick static. 

Beverly's disembodied head (and the Garfield on a stick) in the music video cracked me up. This show is very consistent in its successful use of sight gags-- the Lettuce Crop Child looking like the spawn of Satan is pretty much my all-time favorite. I also liked Beverly referring to MTV as "Music MTV Television." Typical 'mom' thing to say.

Lainey, Barry, and Pops were playing Fireball Island in the kitchen during one scene. I loved/hated that game as a kid. It was overly complicated and no one ever wanted to play it with me, so it ended up just serving as a playset for use with my action figures. 

• Love 1

Lainey, Barry, and Pops were playing Fireball Island in the kitchen during one scene. I loved/hated that game as a kid. It was overly complicated and no one ever wanted to play it with me, so it ended up just serving as a playset for use with my action figures.

Yet the game will go from $500 to $1,200 on ebay now. My cousin had two and were left at his old house after his dad sold it. He is kicking himself now. One was never opened. 

I liked that Pops was Murray's real first friend, not Bill. I did enjoy the Bill Murray friendship though.

We get it. Erica sings. Erica sings in every damn episode. I found her plot line funny but am getting reaaaaaally tired of every Erica plot involving her singing. The Garfield doll on a stick was hilarious, as was Bev's floating head.

I think the big problem is that since Erica can't really fully take on many of Eric Goldberg's stories, she instead has to take on many of Hayley Orrantia's (at least as much as they can be made to apply to the 1980s).  

As someone who applied to music schools in ‘80 something, I find this annoying. Erica is not going to make it even into a state U music program singing pop songs, and a video would not be a leg up even if it was awesome. She needs to be working on a wider range of repertoire and preparing for auditions with a voice teacher, not just a school music teacher.