Type keyword(s) to search

Internet Pet Peeves

27bored
  • Start Topic

Great. Now YT isn't taking no for an answer. It's pushing live recommendations, live gaming, and some other gaming nonsense. I click the X, the channel goes away. But next time I visit, it's there again. No means no, even on the internet.

• Love 1

When I google "When does copyright on music expire?" the result I get:

The 95-year period is divided into an initial term of 28 years and a renewal term of 67 years.1 Works created prior to January 1, 1978, that were neither copyrighted nor fell into the public domain before that date are protected for the life of the author plus 70 years, provided (i) in no event shall the term of the ...

But when I Google "When is Eric McCormack's birthday?" I get:

April 18, 1963

age 55 years

First of all, Google? No shit that I can deduct 1963 (April) from 2018 (October) and get 55 years. That part is obvious.

But when I ask you when copyright on music, you can't even give me as explicit an answer as Eric McCormack's birthday?

I'm not asking much from a machine, but if I ask for something that I am not certain of (which I care about more than some celebrity's birthday) then I expect to get that answer. Or maybe not as explicit as "After 72 years" but give me something than some random nonsense pulled out of a random paragraph mid-page.

23 minutes ago, JNM5505 said:

But when I ask you when copyright on music

I'm an academic librarian. A few years ago one of our music professors needed copyright information for a piece of music he wanted to in-part reproduce in a book he was writing. The answer turned out to be that he needed to contact the current copyright owner of the music for permissions.
Copyright issues are complicated, and even moreso for music.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JNM5505 said:

When I google "When does copyright on music expire?" the result I get:

But when I Google "When is Eric McCormack's birthday?" I get:

First of all, Google? No shit that I can deduct 1963 (April) from 2018 (October) and get 55 years. That part is obvious.

But when I ask you when copyright on music, you can't even give me as explicit an answer as Eric McCormack's birthday?

I'm not asking much from a machine, but if I ask for something that I am not certain of (which I care about more than some celebrity's birthday) then I expect to get that answer. Or maybe not as explicit as "After 72 years" but give me something than some random nonsense pulled out of a random paragraph mid-page.

American copyright law is among the most complex, with multiple tiers/phases/and possibility of extension -- there is no simple answer.

Also, for many questions "in search answers" can be wrong and/or misleading because Google doesn't necessarily vet the source site appropriately. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Copyright issues are complicated, and even moreso for music.

Don't worry.  The Walt Disney Company will hand Congress a blank check soon, and then the laws will be simplified because copyright will never expire.  Mickey Mouse will become public domain in 2023, and they're not going to let that happen.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, starri said:

Don't worry.  The Walt Disney Company will hand Congress a blank check soon, and then the laws will be simplified because copyright will never expire.  Mickey Mouse will become public domain in 2023, and they're not going to let that happen.

I don't doubt that Disney will--one way or another--block the expiration of copyrights of Mickey Mouse (and his friends, associates, and related franchises), but I would also be shocked if copyright laws become simplified. Complex laws serve to confuse and thereby prevent logical protest against unfairness.
Or am I just being too cynical in my old age?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Can someone explain to me how the internet providing the forum for this is a good thing?  It's a yelp review of an Ear, Nose & Throat practice:

Very bad people here!!!! They just commited a Felony today. Stay far far away from this place! I have the law book rite in front of me here! I was attacked by a abusive wife beater becuase I told him to stop beating his wife. My nose is horribly disfigured becuase of it I've had suicidal thoughts daily for 5 years!! I can't look in the mirror it makes me physically dizzy! Anyways the law states I'm legally entitled this treatment of straightening my nose! It is RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY!!!!!!!! Dr Wayne is trying to tell me that it's not reconstructive! It clearly states in the LAW!!! That yes if you are a trauma victim and have been disfigured from TRUAMA! you are legally entitled reconstructive surgery! They tried to push cosmetic surgery on me!! That pissed me off big time! I'm hawt! Real hawt! Plus I don't believe I. Such pathetic garbage as cosmetic surgery! The fact she even assumed I'm pathetic enough to want that was very very offensive! She said she would do the reconstructive surgery. Then as soon as I refused her cosmetic surgery offers she tried to force on me which I could probably due for!!!!! That's harassment!!!!! Anyways once I refused her very offensivr cosmetic surgery offers after i was told im ugly and by a women that's incredibly plain and ordinary I might add... Yeah very offensive lady! Anyhow once I refused the cosmetic crap. They got mad and now are illegally refusing my reconstructive surgery!!!! That's a felony! Refusal of medical treatment that I'm entitled to for free!!!! FELONY!!!!! I'm looking at the current law rite now! I should she this lady for refusing treatment but also I need to press charges for harassment! Going back Monday and they better Obey the law they better not harass me!! Or I'm calling the lawyer I just found that loves suing these Dr's for you for doing what they are doing. And he does it for free!!!! Becuase.... he always wins!!!! And makes plenty of money doing it for free. Feel free to message message me and ask for the lawyers contact info if they also commit a felony against you as well!!!! These people need to be stopped! And shut down! Giving them one more chance Monday! Then it's fucking on!!!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess the Yelp moderator is on vacation?

Oh, please don't tell me yelp actually has moderators.  My only hope for explaining what shows up there is that crazy people are allowed to run unfettered.  Here are her other reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=9K_zizW2ZGu_5LdPH0CtpQ

And that leads to another internet pet peeve, in the review department:  all these people who not only claim they got food poisoning, but that they know where they got it, despite the fact that the "gestation" period for foodborne illnesses is all over the map depending on the bug.  In this case, we may have a new record, both in time and symptom:  "its only been ten minutes and we are sweating from some type of poisoning."

• Love 2

I'm not sure it's a troll because this is only the tip of the iceberg of idiotic reviews I see on yelp.  But if there's some doubt, why are the reviews even there? 

This made me realize that businesses should be able to do a reverse yelp on their customers.  Especially if they offer a discount or perk to people who do a yelp check-in--some sort of interactive thing where they know who it is and what previous reviews are like.  Only they would probably bend over backwards to please even a nutcase like this person, when what they should do is throw them out.  I wouldn't want to serve someone who has a history of accusing establishments of food poisoning ten minutes after being served. 

And I'm curious--should restaurants really use only bottled or distilled water for all cooking, as this person claims? 

I'm pretty sure I've seen reasonable negative reviews on Yelp that were answered by someone from the business asking the disastified customer to contact them, and also followup posts after the company has made restitution. It would have been for cordless vacuums and washing machines, and possibly for computers, since those were my latest searches.

Anyway, I'd still label the poster as a troll, even if not in the sense of a hired hit person. For me, the word "troll" always conjures up images from The Three Billy Goats Gruff fairy tale.

21 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And I'm curious--should restaurants really use only bottled or distilled water for all cooking, as this person claims? 

Probably only in cases where the water source is questionable. Right?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

This is something that annoys the hell out of me. Every day when I first go into eBay, I see this at the top of the page

Want to stay updated? Enable Chrome notifications to stay updated on all things eBay. You can opt-out anytime.

Yes please    Maybe later

It drives me crazy that there is no "NO" option, just yes, or maybe yes later. I don't even know if it's coming from eBay or Chrome, but I don't want to opt-out anytime, I want to say NO now.

• Love 5
On October 21, 2018 at 11:36 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

But if there's some doubt, why are the reviews even there? 

A business owner told me that Yelp has a for-pay service for businesses to remove/prevent negative reviews.  He said that it felt like extortion, and declined Yelp's "assistance"

So posting damaging reviews is good for the not-so-free side of Yelp.

As my dad used to say, "Follow the money".

• Love 2

All the wikis have moved to Fandom, and now all the pictures are in .webp format. If I just want to look at the pic, that's fine. But downloading it and calling it up again is a problem. I have to do a google picture search to find a better version. What was wrong with jpg or png?

• Love 1

One of my favourite podcasts decided to take a break, right before posting an ep I particularly wanted to hear. So far, a month and counting. While he recently returned to posting eps, the new one is Patreon only and not the one I want to hear. Come on, it's supposed to be a prediction show. You don't want it overtaken by events.

Edit: Hah! Not long after I posted this comment, that new episode was released. It was good. Maybe I should complain more about things, if they're going to come true like that.

Edited by Anduin
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/19/2018 at 1:31 PM, Lizzing said:

I absolutely hate that IMDb stopped listing which particular episode(s) of a television show an actor appeared in. 

They did? , I did not even notice. Seems they are getting smaller by the day...

Edited by WonderArtist

Has anyone heard a peep about WEHT to the Bonethefish site? It somewhat took the mantle of the original Jumpthesark one. Anyway, for about the last three weeks, every time I've tried to surf onto it, all I've gotten is that it can't be accessed. Oh, and it seemed to have had no new content for about two months prior to that.  So my Pet Peeve here is that if a site goes down, why can't there be any way to let others know what happened?

On 2/20/2019 at 10:46 PM, Anduin said:

Maybe I should complain more about things, if they're going to come true like that.

You know how people ponder which super power they'd like to have?  I always thought mine would be invisibility, but having my complaints actually mean something would be beyond my wildest dreams, so adios, invisibility.

• Love 4

Messed up site redesigns. I can't believe that the redesigned Deadline is actually supposed to look like this, so someone must have really messed up the ad on the left side and whatever is supposed to be at the bottom. Or is it just me and does it look ok to others?

Image1.thumb.jpg.7a07d32e3c0750c99068cc5844474476.jpg

(edited)

Firefox suddenly decided to break everything, including adblock. It was the final straw. I'm using Chrome now. 😞

If anyone cares, my first browser was Netscape Navigator. It was on my high school computers. When I got my own computer, of course I went Netscape. Then Netscape moved to the Mozilla framework. That in turn produced Firefox. I tend to be loyal to a specific thing for a long time, even when it becomes subpar. But sometimes eventually I have to quit.

Still trying to get a proper bookmarks menu. Anyone know how to do that?

Edit: seems I'm not the only one. Apparently the devs accidentally let a certificate expire or something. They're working to fix it, but I'm still just not sure about going back. Firefox keeps redirecting me to Kotaku Oz, when I want the original version. Adblock is slow to start too. And it likes to autoplay videos.

Edited by Anduin
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

Firefox suddenly decided to break everything, including adblock.

I wasn't sure what you were talking about, until the bug hit me a few minutes later.

This is a bug that has affected most of the Firefox user base.  (I've seen some posts from Linux users saying they haven't been affected at all.)  There's a couple workarounds or alternate solutions out there  But for the most part, it's either switch browsers (temporarily or not), and/or wait for Mozilla to get a fix completed.

13 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

I wasn't sure what you were talking about, until the bug hit me a few minutes later.

This is a bug that has affected most of the Firefox user base.  (I've seen some posts from Linux users saying they haven't been affected at all.)  There's a couple workarounds or alternate solutions out there  But for the most part, it's either switch browsers (temporarily or not), and/or wait for Mozilla to get a fix completed.

Yeah, I'm trying to push Chrome into my preferred shape. I'll probably get it running just in time for Firefox to start behaving again. :)

On 10/12/2018 at 5:39 AM, Joe said:

Great. Now YT isn't taking no for an answer. It's pushing live recommendations, live gaming, and some other gaming nonsense. I click the X, the channel goes away. But next time I visit, it's there again. No means no, even on the internet.

I've been getting that too-- one of the recommended videos is a certain day's full broadcast of FOX and Friends from FOX News Channel; I click "not interested," tell them why, and you think that would solve the problem. Nope-- it's back on my recommendations. Is YouTube big on FOX News now?!

19 hours ago, Anduin said:

, I'm trying to push Chrome into my preferred shape. I'll probably get it running just in time for Firefox to start behaving again. :)

The fix has been pushed through, and add-ons are working in FF again.  It may take a little time after starting FF for the fix to get to you, but it eventually will.

21 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The fix has been pushed through, and add-ons are working in FF again.  It may take a little time after starting FF for the fix to get to you, but it eventually will.

Yeah, it's working normally. Still wants to play videos automatically, still wants to redirect some sites. Damn, I don't want to use two browsers, but neither has all the right features.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Still wants to play videos automatically, still wants to redirect some sites.

Those sound like cache and/or cookie issues more than anything related to the certificate issue that just happened.

3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Those sound like cache and/or cookie issues more than anything related to the certificate issue that just happened.

Yeah, they've been troubling me for months. Chrome works fine in that regard, why the hell can't Firefox?

This irks the hell out of me. People who post random videos of TV shows on YouTube or DailyMotion. They'll post one or two episodes of a show, & that's it. Why bother to post any if you're not going to post them all? I've been trying to find all of the series 4 episodes of The Repair Shop, & it's ridiculous how many people post one episode & that's it. Either post them all, or none of them.

8 hours ago, GaT said:

This irks the hell out of me. People who post random videos of TV shows on YouTube or DailyMotion. They'll post one or two episodes of a show, & that's it. Why bother to post any if you're not going to post them all? I've been trying to find all of the series 4 episodes of The Repair Shop, & it's ridiculous how many people post one episode & that's it. Either post them all, or none of them.

Sometimes people do post them all but YT ends up yanking some and ends up leaving others. It's frustrating to find episodes like that which are years old and it looks as if the account hasn't been touched since.

• Love 2

Yay!  My Firefox adblocker is working again.  I'm telling you--as much as I like the internet, this little glimpse of life with ads makes me think I'd rather say bye bye to the internet than put up with ads.  Why must they move?

The good news is that my efforts to be anonymous must be working, to judge from the ads I'm being served up.

And a warning--Mr. Outlier was doing an online chat with a customer service department the other day, and it became obvious from their responses that they were seeing what he was typing as he typed it, before he hit "send" or whatever.  Call us crazy, but we "craft" what we write, even in an online chat, and we want the finished version to be what someone (or some robot) sees.  So now we're going to write it somewhere else and copy and paste it into the online chat window in its finished form.

This is getting ridiculous.

Hey, I actually fixed a problem! I'm putting this here in case anyone else has issues. Turns out, iTunes doesn't like Cyrillic. When I bought the new Batushka album, the file names were in Cyrillic letters. So I had to go through and rename the tracks in Latin script before they'd sync. Tedious, but at least it's done.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

When people abandon their blogs and/or podcasts without notice. If you're quitting, you could at least say you're quitting. I've been known to check some for a couple of years in case they come back.

• Love 4

People who ask questions with easily-Google-able answers on social media, e.g., the dopes on our community FB page who post asking, "Hey, does anyone know where the fireworks are on the 4th of July?"  It takes every bit of restraint I have not to reply, "Oh, I'm so sorry your Google is broken 😞 " or to drop them a lmgtfy (Let Me Google That For You) link.  The sarcasm would probably go to waste.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Broadly —

I’ve been around here or TWOP since about 2002. Obviously activity levels have dropped as social media and comment systems have risen instead. But I still like the culture here, the civility, and the moderation. I can’t handle the viciousness and toxicity (and politics) of many online social platforms. But I feel like my online world is shrinking with the death of “forums”, and when I venture out to places like reddit, I’m too thin-skinned for the (just as an example) casual misogyny on one hand, and bored by the silly meme shitposts on the other. Am I missing some other platform for text-based discussion that would let me broaden my conversational options somewhat, but still exist within some basically civil framework like this place? 

Any suggestions welcome.

• Love 3
On 7/20/2019 at 9:48 PM, kieyra said:

Broadly —

I’ve been around here or TWOP since about 2002. Obviously activity levels have dropped as social media and comment systems have risen instead. But I still like the culture here, the civility, and the moderation. I can’t handle the viciousness and toxicity (and politics) of many online social platforms. But I feel like my online world is shrinking with the death of “forums”, and when I venture out to places like reddit, I’m too thin-skinned for the (just as an example) casual misogyny on one hand, and bored by the silly meme shitposts on the other. Am I missing some other platform for text-based discussion that would let me broaden my conversational options somewhat, but still exist within some basically civil framework like this place? 

Any suggestions welcome.

Most TV programs have Facebook discussion groups. The comments are generally civil. But comments are short--there isn't the level of in-depth conversation that there is on this Primetimer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2019 at 11:51 AM, Gurkel said:

Most TV programs have Facebook discussion groups. The comments are generally civil. But comments are short--there isn't the level of in-depth conversation that there is on this Primetimer. 

And you have to be on fucking Facebook.  No thanks. 

• Love 5

I just had to share this with possibly like-minded people.  Mr. Outlier is looking to buy an older GPS, but he needs to be positive it's a certain model (the LMT vs. the base model), and that can be verified by looking at the sticker on the back.  He found one on Ebay that is among the cheapest of the many listed, but in the photos, the sticker is covered up by removable mounting piece, so he sent the seller a question. 

Here's what transpired:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi. Can you please confirm whether this is actually a "2589LMT" model or just a "2589"? There is normally a label in the round mount area of the back cover, but your picture has the ball adapter clipped in and covering the label, so I can't tell for sure. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the model is listed in the ad. look at the photos to see the model

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, your pictures do not actually show the model number--that's why I asked the question.

I have already bought another unit myself, but you should probably re-read and understand my original question and update your listing accordingly, because others are probably confused also.

Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Look at the fucking picture again. It shows the gps on with all the specs listed including the model

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, very hostile response?!

Anyway, try unclipping the little round piece from the back of the unit and you'll find there is a sticker underneath. On that sticker it will either say "2589LMT" (which would be the nicer model that includes Lifetime Maps and Traffic-- LMT), or perhaps it will just say "2589" as your description indicates (which would be a less desirable model without free map updates or traffic).

You might also notice that most, if not all, other sellers of these units include a picture that shows this sticker. But, as I mentioned, it is NOT VISIBLE in your photos because you left the plastic mount piece in place.

Not sure why I'm still bothering to even try helping you after your hostile response, but I'm pretty glad I didn't buy anything from you if that's your way of communicating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lol idiot

=================

One thing about it--he's right that Mr. Outlier is an idiot...for trying to help this guy understand why his GPS, the lowest priced one on Ebay, has languished for two weeks.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
On 7/20/2019 at 9:48 PM, kieyra said:

.Am I missing some other platform for text-based discussion that would let me broaden my conversational options somewhat, but still exist within some basically civil framework like this place? 

Any suggestions welcome.

@kieyra, unfortunately I have no suggestions, but I have to sympathize with your overall feelings.   For the awhile I've been visiting certain sub-forums on reddit that match my interests, but I just think I can't take it anymore.  Trolls, trolls, everywhere is the way I'm starting to feel, and though there are mods I don't think that the way things are set up there they can do anything about the hundreds/thousands of posts, some of them really offensive, that show up.  But the meanness alone is also depressing.  I've come to feel that less is more these days...that may be why I am back to this board more often, what it lacks in immediacy it makes up in general civility.   I wonder what constant exposure to trolling does to your brain, I remember when there was no internet, and I have to wonder how hard this is for kids and young people.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 7
On 9/6/2019 at 7:00 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

One thing about it--he's right that Mr. Outlier is an idiot...for trying to help this guy understand why his GPS, the lowest priced one on Ebay, has languished for two weeks.

Quoting myself here, with an update.  The ebay seller changed his listing to include the information Mr. Outlier asked about.  The change read: "to my troll annoying me on here -  the 2589 is a lifetime map."

It sold immediately. 

• LOL 1

Great. Wikis have a new move to reduce functionality and increase annoyance. Some have a gallery down the bottom. I middle click the images to open them in new tabs. Only I get redirected to the article again. I have to actually left click on a pic to see it large. And the gallery always feels slow to go to the next pic. Sometimes it doesn't, like the thumbnails are out of order compared to the pop-up gallery. This is in addition to autoplaying videos that like to chase me down the page.

Who is in charge of these stupid ideas? Do they never have to use their own creation? Do they just hate people?

• Love 2

I have a pet peeve about some people on Flickr. If you're not familiar with Flickr, it's a photo hosting/sharing site where you can add your photos to groups, favorite other people's photos, follow people whose work you like, & have discussions. My pet peeve is people who decide to favorite hundreds of photos of mine at a time.  Why don't you follow me instead? Every time someone favorites a photo, it shows up in my recent activity, so when there are hundreds of photos being favorited, I miss comments & questions from other people. It's like having a stalker & it annoys me.

• Love 1

My pet peeve?  Getting kicked off The Pop Culturists and The Avocado.  For those who don't know either, they're Disqus powered meeting grounds for castoffs of the old Disqus powered AV Club before it got acquired by Kinja.

I was banned from the latter for being a little too outspoken (I believed what Rose McGowen said about gay men being more misogynist than straight men and thought I had a misogynist streak in men though I still believed in women's rights.  They came down on me like I just said "Hitler's not all bad".  It took a talk with my mom to make me come to my sense and realize I'm not a misogynist, but the bridge between me and The Avocado has been burned, even though I was still on it.

(Also, my Centre Left self was getting a little put off by their increasing far Left leanings).

And I was banned from The Pop Culturists because of "misrepresenting" the site.  I have no idea what that means.  I mean, I posted stuff from Twitter.  How was I supposed to know that was putting a strain on the site's memory.  I got a message I thought was saying if I wanted to post Tweets I had to clear it with the mods first.  So I sent a message to the mods asking if I was to send Tweet posts for clearance and all of a sudden I'm banned.

Now I need to put two sites that I thought I had friends on behind me.  I might lose this site, I don't know.  What comes, comes.

Update 11/25/19  Well, I got an update for why I was banned from The Pop Culturists.  I was told I was creating drama in a "drama free zone".  I may have, at first when I returned to that site, but I didn't think I was lately.  I was told my posts were self-pitying even though I didn't think they were. 

I was told my e-mails to them would be ignored and that I was banned forever. 

TL;DR, I'm a little sick of Something Awful wannabe sites.

Edited by bmoore4026
I was told why I was banned from one of the sites finally.
On 11/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Update 11/25/19  Well, I got an update for why I was banned from The Pop Culturists.  I was told I was creating drama in a "drama free zone".  I may have, at first when I returned to that site, but I didn't think I was lately.  I was told my posts were self-pitying even though I didn't think they were.

I'm curious--what constitutes creating drama?  You say you may have been doing it when you first returned--what were you doing?

32 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm curious--what constitutes creating drama?  You say you may have been doing it when you first returned--what were you doing?

Bitching about being kicked off The Avocado.  I cooled it after getting a "formal warning" from CaliCheeseSucks the same day I returned, but got banned after "misinterpreting" the policy on posting Tweets.  I thought I had to go through the mods on Tweets I wanted to post because my posting so many and was taking up memory space.

So I lost an outlet for my feelings on pop culture on The Avocado (believe me, after what I e-mailed them on certain subjects, I will not be welcomed back) and lost talking with old AV Club members I liked talking with because they're "too good" for the Kinja AV Club.

The Pop Culturist mods said that their site was a "drama free zone" and I was wallowing in self-pity.  All I got left is Primetimer, so I can't fuck this up here.

It would be nice if YouTube would make video recommendations based on a trend you are watching. Multiple videos.

Instead of recommending a bunch of shitty death metal videos after you clicked on a thumbnail because you couldn't make out what was going on in the image and were kind of curious.

Seriously, screw you YouTube recommendation algorithm.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I started the YouTube app on my TV through my cable system. I get a hint for the remote's audio function to say "search for Kanye West on YouTube" to watch videos.

I don't want to search for Kanye West YouTube! I have never done that. Damn....

• Love 2