Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E18: Jill's Special Delivery

(edited)

Seriously. This was supposed to be about Jill's "special delivery" and we got a rehash of MEEE-chelle's pregnancies and deliveries. Who the fuck cares? It's NOT about you, MEEE-chelle. (I added an extra E in MEEE-chelle's name because this episode took the fucking cake. How self-absorbed is this woman? News flash: we know all about your child birth experiences and we do not want to hear about you still wanting and trying for more of them! Gross!)

I'll admit, Cathy's birthday gift to Derek made me cry,  Awwww.  The Duggar kids must have been so confused by it. Can you say "sen-ti-ment" everyone? Repeat after me, "SEN-TI-MENT."  

ETA: anyone catch the side eye that Jana gave her mother as they were driving over to Jill's house. She buckled her seatbeat and kinda glanced over at Michelle, who was babbling, as usual. I think I read, "STFU, crazy woman" in Jana's eyes. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9

Also don't know if any of you caught it, but Jessa's baby bump was so obvious when she was wearing that tight pink shirt.

Yes! I'm very confused. Iz was born April 6. If Jessa is due Nov. 1, she would have been only two months along in this episode. She looks four months pregnant. What's up with this?

• Love 2

Apparently, the Duggar girls pop early?

It was sad that none of the little kids had a clue what a gag gift was. 

And meconium is a "non-emergency" situation? I think the world should be glad that Jill will not practice midwifery, and shame on Vanessa for the crappy education.

• Love 6

I only watched the first part. I just can't sit through 2 hrs so will have to watch the birth another time. I agree- this easily could have been an hour show. Too much MEchelle-centered filler!

I counted 5 "specials" in the first part. Don't they know another, more descriptive adjective?

Who waits till 2 weeks before the birth to put the nursery together?

Jill was days away from her due date. Why did MEchelle & JBoob even bring up that something could go wrong, other than to try to garner more sympathy for MEchelle? Josie was preemie & Jubilee was a miscarriage, neither of which applied to Jill.

It sounded like they were on the defensive about waiting so long to go to the hospital. MEchelle mentioning that Jill was making the right choices & Jill trying to explain why they waited so long.

I had a transverse baby- my twin 1- we knew fairly early in my pregnancy.

I thought Cathy's gift was very touching. I liked the Pistol Pete segment too.

Derick just doesn't sound college educated. He's starting to sound a lot like Ben to me, & that's not a good thing.

• Love 7

About Josie- it is really confusing. I think its a good sign that Josie is able to answer questions. She clearly understands what is being said to her & is able to answer. She is able to answer better than my 8 yr Ds with SN. However, other times she seems "off" & immature for her age, like when she is snapping her mouth open & shut.

• Love 4

When Michelle was 'doing' Josie's hair in the kitchen, it seemed as if she was attempting to make Josie's hair look the same as her own.  So greasy.  In a shot a few minutes later there was a bottle of baby lotion or something similar.  Is that what she put in her hair?  So, that whole 'look' is 'on purpose?'  Good god.

Michelle mentioned something to the affect of:  "I've heard doctors and nurses know a lot about a lot of things."  Um, you don't fucking say, do you, Michelle?  If I never heard that woman speak again it would be too soon.

Loved the (non) reaction from the kids when Jim Bob was showing them the gifts he bought Derick, which I will say were kind of cute.  But I guess they were either 1. too young to get the humor or 2. just didn't give a fuck.  My vote goes to the second option.

• Love 13

It is hard to figure out exactly what's wrong, but there is something. Just speaking from a teacher's perspective, and though I'd never be qualified to make any kind of diagnosis, I'd still have a lot of questions. Can she say the alphabet? Or just sing it? Can she count? Can she identify the sound each letter makes? Group items by size, color or shape? Can she hold a pencil? Write her name? Cut with scissors? Ride a trike? Bounce a ball? Draw a picture of herself? Can she connect dots? Put a puzzle together? Can she skip? Follow simple directions? Use descriptive words? Recite short pieces [poems, rhymes etc]? Etc etc...

I find myself wondering if something is actually wrong/off with Josie herself due to being so premature, or if her odd behavior is because of how Michelle acts around her and talks to her. When you're treating a 5 year old like an infant I would think it's gotta confuse them eventually. Plus zero discipline. I mean she walks around barefoot on the counters and Michelle thinks the "lick and stick" pizza is just so precious and special instead of teaching the kid not to do that. If she does need specialty care I hope they're getting care for her in the background and just not showing it (although I think it's pretty sick if they're happy to show her seizure but not any positive types of help she might be getting).

It was weird how Michelle/Jim Bob centric the special was in some places. <snip>

Jill saying that Johannah could take care of Israel on her own made me a little nervous.  Luckily,

there are adults who can help Jill with him. I can't imagine leaving a baby with a 9 year old. 

I know! At a couple of points I had to remind myself that it was even about "Jill's Special Delivery." 

My heart sank when Michelle was 'teaching' the little kids how to take care of the baby dolls, and sank even more when Jill was so excited about how much each of the other little girls could care for her child. Made me think she's going to be way more like Michelle than I had hoped. She's already figuring out how early she can pawn off her kids?  That was sad.

Yes! I'm very confused. Iz was born April 6. If Jessa is due Nov. 1, she would have been only two months along in this episode. She looks four months pregnant. What's up with this?

I am beginning to think they practice the "look pregnant" pose fairly young, especially after seeing that pic from Instagram (I think it was on the Media thread?) where there was a young girl from some other fundie family who seemed like she was working on "the look."  Arch back, stick belly out, pull shirt tight, cup hands under belly, etc.

• Love 4
(edited)

Thoughts on the episode:

Jill was the special daughter doing the right thing even from birth. She was the first natural delivery.

Michelle "We are grandparents now." while talking about Josie's birth. Uh, Michelle you were grandparents were when Josie was born. (Kynzie was a baby and had already been born.)

I am too excited by Anna saying "before you know it you're little one will be in kindergarten". I really hope that means J and A have found a kindergarten for Kynzie beyond the SOTDRT!

All of the little girls would want to help take care of the baby. What wouldn't little girls wouldn't? (Being sarcastic this seems to be the thought process behind the teaching the little girls how to hold and take care of a baby.)

I liked seeing Jill and Derrick learning about each other through the Pistol Pete trip.

I was really happy seeing Derrick state that he feels his kids should go to college if they feel they should. He sounded assertive too. Good for him and I'm glad Jill wasn't fighting with him about it.

I wish they had broken up this episode into two or something. It felt long and I got a little bored.

The note from Derrick's Dad was so sweet! Beyond words!

I can't believe how long it took to decide to a c-section. I'm no expert, but it seems they could have decided it earlier in labor than they did. It also seems they really didn't play up the health risks, which after talking with older people who knew people in similiar situations, seem much more serious than indicated. I'm glad Jill and Israel are ok. 

In general, the episode was nice and they seemed to be more bonded as a family than usual, although Jessa and Ben seemed caught up in each other. On the other hand, I can't believe anyone talked about Michelle having another baby! Not likely to the say the least. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

I just realized I only posted my snarky replies and not the nice ones. :)  I liked the mani/pedi part even if it was a little odd watching Derick get a pedi, I thought he was funny especially talking about the different lotion scents.  I also liked the Pistol Pete part, and admit that I teared up a lot when Derick was reading the letter on his birthday. That was beautiful.

I can't believe how long I've been watching this and they're STILL just starting Jill's "special delivery."  I haven't even gotten through that part yet.

• Love 2

I'm only halfway through. Jill and Derrick said they would allow their children to go to a university. Woohoo! Good for them!

Yeah but they couched it in the typical -- if God leads them to it, they can go to college and have a career and we'd be ok with it. Except that in 18 more yrs when Derick is 100% a Duggar, Iz may not even understand the value of higher education or if he does and asks to go to college -- Derick and Jill will do the -- well this is a BIG decision, let's pray on it. And lo and behold the prayer will yield an answer of NO, lest their son have to go to college and sit next to green haired heathens or tank top wearing hussies. So I feel like this is all talk and they only did the Pistol Pete segment in response to internet criticism to show -- look Derick is different, he went to college and we're cool with that. It's insulting that they are SO against education and yet you have Josh leading a prayer thanking God for the doctors. All those doctors and nurses who got your sister out of her week long labor without harming your nephew -- gasp -- they went to college and med school and took their chances of having to talk to heathens in order to learn how to save lives . . . .

Yes she did say "he's so cute, he's not ugly." I get it -- lots of babies can be ugly when they're born - bruises etc. But REALLY? What mother has that has her first reaction to her first child??

Jessa had an interview where she said something along the lines of -- Jill has been really calm through this 10 day long labor. And you could see her face saying "oh HELL NO -- if I'm in labor more than 6 or 8 hrs, I want drugs ASAP and if they think it'll be another day or two, off to a C-section I go."

And their kids don't know what a gag gift is?? Jackson is about 10-11 yrs old, though he acts like he's about 6. That's about 5th-6th grade age. You'd be hard pressed to find a 5th grade boy who doesn't know about gag gifts. Must be the Duggar isolation, as this is the kind of thing you pick up from your 10 yr old peers, though their kids don't have any.

• Love 6
(edited)

I only watched the first part. I just can't sit through 2 hrs so will have to watch the birth another time. I agree- this easily could have been an hour show. Too much MEchelle-centered filler!

I counted 5 "specials" in the first part. Don't they know another, more descriptive adjective?

Who waits till 2 weeks before the birth to put the nursery together?

Jill was days away from her due date. Why did MEchelle & JBoob even bring up that something could go wrong, other than to try to garner more sympathy for MEchelle? Josie was preemie & Jubilee was a miscarriage, neither of which applied to Jill.

It sounded like they were on the defensive about waiting so long to go to the hospital. MEchelle mentioning that Jill was making the right choices & Jill trying to explain why they waited so long.

I had a transverse baby- my twin 1- we knew fairly early in my pregnancy.

I thought Cathy's gift was very touching. I liked the Pistol Pete segment too.

Derick just doesn't sound college educated. He's starting to sound a lot like Ben to me, & that's not a good thing.

Yes, I definitely picked up a defensive vibe as well. It seemed to me that a lot of points brought up here - and other places as well, I'm sure - were "dealt with" in this episode. Very definitely explained or defended. I think Jill was not nearly as reasonable and agreeable going through it as she was portrayed in this episode. I got an overall "damage control" feeling about this. Maybe that's why there was so much Me-chelle?  Yet again...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5
(edited)

While I agree with everyone who has said that this episode was boring, the truth is that ALL of the episodes are boring. These are boring people. The only reason they are on television is because they have too many kids -- that's it. They should be very worried about this Willis family. They have a bunch of kids with J names, and the family appears to be genuinely close; the kids have natural -- not pasted on -- smiles; they DO things.

That said, I thought that everyone came off well in this episode. Cathy was just lovely and genuine, and her gift to Derick was really touching. And Dan! He was just charming, and seemed genuinely excited about the new baby. Derick was loving and supportive through the entire process. Despite the fact that Jill made some questionable choices, I thought that her choices seemed reasonable in context, and she didn't really seem too upset about the c-section. I was also surprised to see that J'chelle was there for the birth -- I thought she was out of town. I think that that was really important to Jill, and I'm glad that she was there,

The youngest girls are beginning to weird me out. Josie is 5 now, so her sisters are 6, 8 ,9 (in that ball park). They act like toddlers. I don't think about it much because they are the "little girls," but if you think about what normal grad-school girls are like, the seem really delayed to me.

ETA: I almost forgot -- that crazy promo with J'chelle and Jessa. "Words to describe my mom: loving, blah, blah, blah . . ." This is just too much. I realize that J'chelle is her mother, and she loves her, but Jesus. If J'chelle wants a FU internet moment to prove that she is a great mom, then just ACT LIKE A MOM! I'm really tired of hearing her husband and her kids tell me that she's really a great mom and, apparently, nothing like the narcissistic, detached woman we see on TV. Fine. then, show us. Show us one thing. Show us one interaction with her kids where she doesn't act like she barely knows them. Show us one moment of her physically comforting a child (although, I admit that she did hug Josie in this last episode). Let us have one episode that is all about Jill or Jessa or Josiah that doesn't cycle back to J'chelle and her wedding, and her birth experiences and, of course, Jubilee.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Love 10

The majority of the younger kids seem delayed to me -- I don't say that to be rude, and I don't mean it in a physical or mental way as I'm not an MD. But they seem "behind" where kids are socially at that age. I know everyone talks about Josie, but the two sisters she interviews with don't seem age level to me either. If Josie is 5, those 2 sisters are likely ages 6 through 8. That's kids in 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade. Most kids in that age range are fairly articulate -- they can understand you, answer questions rationally, answer questions in ways that you understand etc. Sure if there's a speech delay, there may be a lisp or something but by that age it's no big deal. In this case, I feel like I never have any idea what's going on when those 3 girls are interviewed.

Jackson and the 2 sisters he interviews with are no better. (No idea if they're the same girls as with Josie.) I always find myself shocked that Jackson is 10-11 yrs old now; that's a 5th or 6th grade boy. He acts like and talks like a 1st grade boy. Not all the howlers seem delayed to me, but these 2 particular groups do. OTOH -- the sarcastic kid on Jill's buddy team who went on dates with her and Derick (James?) seems pretty age appropriate, as does whichever brother was asked -- what type of prank would you play on Jackson on his wedding day and he responded -- "I don't know, steal his girl!?" Though I imagine each younger kid was even more ignored than the one that came before, so by the time you get down to the little girls -- it's pretty much a disaster.

• Love 8

I agree the last half hour was the most interesting. I loved seeing Jill hold Israel for the first time. You could see the love she felt on her face.  I also liked seeing how excited the Duggar kids were at the news Israel had arrived. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't pass Israel around family when they showed him to the family.  At least they didn't have to immediately host the family by taking him over to the TTH first like Josh and Anna did. Hopefully, they did so to control how long they had to be around the family that first day home.

I thought that the filming of the birth was more tasteful than Anna's births.  I don't mean this as a dig at Anna, more that whoever filmed it did so at an angle that didn't seem as invasive as Anna's or a few of Michelle's c sections. 

• Love 3
(edited)

If any Duggar is going to break free, I'd put my money on Jenny. The bored look on her face when J'Chelle was pontificating on the joys of changing a baby was priceless. Her disinterest in the whole Duggar shitshow is rivaled only by Cathy's husband's total disdain. In the little bit we've seen of him at Jill and Derick's wedding and Derick's birthday celebration, he looks like given a choice between surgery without anesthesia and spending an hour with Boob and company, he'd opt for the knife.

The pedicure was a hoot. Jill, a peek at your knees is not going to defraud anybody. I laughed out loud that they were blurred out in that long shot. And hooray for Cathy and her jeans. A breath of fresh air in that den of female frump. Her gift to Derick was thoughtful and touching. He obviously had a strong bond with his dad and is very proud that they both went to OSU and served as Pistol Pete. It's unfortunate that Iz and his eventual siblings have very little chance of attending anything other than unaccredited clown college, if that.

Jill waited too long to go to the hospital. She was lucky that competent medical help was available. It didn't look like anyone at the house had a clue. Glad Little Iz came through in good shape. One more thing. Where was J'Chelle at Vanessa's baby shower? Can't believe she missed an opportunity to make it all about her.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'll admit it, I like Derick.  I like his sense of humor (which I think flies over Jill's head sometimes) and how easy going he is with Jill.  His whole family is great and I hope he gets to keep them as involved as they'd like to be.  Cathy is just the sweetest, Dan is normal and hilarious, and Cathy's husband just scowls when he's in the presence of the Duggars.  I'd pay to hear how he really feels during a TH but that would require him to give a flying f**k (he's clearly got none to give).

When Michelle was "talking" to Josie and Jim Bob came in the room trying to speak to her like an adult, Michelle kept cutting him off with her baby voice and even HE looked like she'd lost her mind.  I think at this point people just go with it and accept the fact that they have to humor her.

Derick enjoyed his pedicure a little too much.  I was horrified to see that they blurred Jill's knees!

Jennifer is over all of this.  Her side eyes during the TH segments were gold.  "Why did you want to open Jill's gifts?"  "We didn't..I mean...we DID."

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 10

I was at my sister's house doing her hair and forced her to watch this with me. 

We were both appalled at the scene of Michelle teaching the little girls how to hold, feed, and change a baby. Those girls did not even look like they wanted to be there. I think it was Johanna, but one of them had skates on her feet so she was probably pulled from a fun activity to go change a fake baby. Why can't these little girls enjoy being little girls?

I'm really not sure of their names, but I think it's Johanna and Jennifer and they are hilarious. They might be the Jessa and Jinger who actually break free. By the time they're 18, the parents will be too old to be as strict.

Now on to the birth. I can't believe that Jill really waited 48 hours to go to the hospital after her water broke. I think that's what she said at least. She's supposed to be a midwife in training and she waited 48 hours to go after seeing meconium? She really didn't see a problem with that? Her midwife didn't see a problem with that? If all of that is really true, she should really be thanking God for a healthy baby because that's a lot of negligence.

Also, I can't believe the first thing she said was that's he's not ugly. I guess that's the teenage mentality. I'm sure many parents hope for cute babies, but I don't think they just blurt that out after seeing the baby for the first time. 

I hope Cathy pushes Derrick to get Israel and the future Dillards a real education and to encourage them to go to college. I have a feeling that Jill agreed to letting the kids choose for now, but she's gonna push her agenda on him as much as she can. I just don't trust that girl, or maybe she just gets on my nerves and I can't believe I'm so invested in her life.

• Love 14

Who was the half grown kid on Dan's shoulders?   He was way too old, and Dan was bent over from the strain. 

The Duggar children are so starved for attention, they climb all over anyone who comes near them.

I used to recover postop C-sections, and IV antibiotics were automatically given twenty-four hours after the water broke, with no delivery.  And I'm frankly shocked that the hospital chose to have her continue to labor for hours after meconium staining.

• Love 4

On the "He's not ugly!" topic, when I met my old roommate's baby for the first time she totally said "I was so scared I would have an ugly baby, I'm so glad she's decent looking."  It was funny hearing her say it because that's just who she is, but hearing Jill say it right after saying hi to the kid was weird. 

They had to do something to fill up this hideously boring 2 hour block.  Thus scenes of changing baby doll diapers and so on.  They are scenes, in every sense of the word.  I guess Jill's mistakes during the labor and delivery were too blatant to show.  Only about 15% of the time at the most was devoted to it, and in the most benign way possible.  At least she got the princess treatment of a manicure (and one for her man) as well as sisters doing her hair while in hospital.  How lovely.  Some of those girls are not going to be maternal with babies, period.  I wasn't.  Didn't like other people's babies but got along fine once they turned into people, and especially once I could take them to theme parks, which was a great excuse for me to go, since I loved them--the parks and rides, I mean.  You also need a kid to ride a camel or an elephant or you look like a fool.  I'm willing to do it though.  I put the blame for this excruciating episode on the producers, including the diggers, for going along with not showing Jill making one bad decision after another and instead throwing out boring, seems like we've seen it all before 100 times filler.

• Love 4

The younger kids do seem immature for their ages. I don't know if it's because they've been babied, neglected, under-educated, or a combination of the three. I don't think that it is due to their individual capabilities.

Josie definitely seems younger than she actually is. If I didn't know her age, I would think she had just turned four.  I think she was doing the weird jaw movements because they had been talking about how she liked to gnaw on the crib. What I liked about the crib exchange was that Jordyn asserted she gave the crib to Josie first.  I thought that the whole crib hunt could have included Jenny and Jordyn as well since they also slept in it. It would have been nice for Jordyn to be a part of something. I doubt that Jenny would have wanted to take part.

I think that Josie and Jordyn could use a little bit of speech therapy.  Jordyn has a slight lisp that I think is darling and she may grow out of, yet she would benefit so much from some one on one education.

I think that Johannah is just over the cameras.  She seemed so unenthusiastic during the interviews and just mumbles the whole time. She was articulate and spunky a few years ago. I don't know if she hasn't had enough intellectual stimulation or what, but I've always thought of her as a smart Duggar.   

I've been surprised by Jenny, she's seemed happier in recent episodes. Well, happy is stretching it. She has smiled and actually talks a little in the interviews. I wonder how far after an event they do the interviews because Jenny didn't initially remember that she helped unwrap presents during the baby shower. 

• Love 1
(edited)

What has always bothered me about this family is the lack of laughter.  The kids did not know the word"gag" except as possibly puking.  There is no laughter here really, no humor but a sadness about them with the constant Jesus this and that.  And I'm Christian.  Where is the joy in their lives?

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 11

Holy crap the kid's finally here, so I think I can finally finish posting thoughts on this episode. It was nice seeing Jill get to hold him, and how gentle Derick was with him. Iz is so big!  Even some of the young boys noticed. For a minute there I was wondering if they brought in a 3 month old as a "body double" for him (not really, but the kid is just so surprisingly big). I'm glad he was born safely.

I'll admit it, I like Derick.  I like his sense of humor (which I think flies over Jill's head sometimes) and how easy going he is with Jill.  His whole family is great and I hope he gets to keep them as involved as they'd like to be.  Cathy is just the sweetest, Dan is normal and hilarious, and Cathy's husband just scowls when he's in the presence of the Duggars.  I'd pay to hear how he really feels during a TH but that would require him to give a flying f**k (he's clearly got none to give).

When Michelle was "talking" to Josie and Jim Bob came in the room trying to speak to her like an adult, Michelle kept cutting him off with her baby voice and even HE looked like she'd lost her mind.  I think at this point people just go with it and accept the fact that they have to humor her.

Derick enjoyed his pedicure a little too much.  I was horrified to see that they blurred Jill's knees!

I liked Derick in this episode too. He was cracking me up several different times.  I almost even forgot about his animal abuse for a split second there.  It scared me how "Duggar-y" he's getting, but I hope he manages to keep his personality and sense of self too. I was pretty surprised he did the Pistol Pete gig after he became part of the Duggar family - I would've thought they would strongly discourage it and he'd comply. I guess that's a glimmer of hope.

• Love 1

This is really shallow but I dont like Jill's "hippy" look. The ponytail with wide headband & dangly earrings. It seems to be a new look she's trying out.

You know, I'm not crazy for it either, but it beats ALL to HELL the Little House/calico/big fat collared dresses they were sporting  just a few short years ago!!!

• Love 5

Rerun is on and reminded me of something - I know people get annoyed how Jill talks over him a lot in the THs, but I think one of tonight's was the worst. When he was talking about keeping his Mom involved in the pregnancy and Jill pipes up with "Gifts!" then went on and on about getting gifts. So rude. You can talk about, for example, having fun going shopping with "grandma" for baby stuff without making it all about "we got gifts! GIFTS!!"  How about "it was so much fun going shopping with Cathy to pick out baby clothes" or even "Cathy picks out such cute stuff for him."  I don't mind them mentioning gifts but it seemed like there was just way too much emphasis on it, at least to me.  I realize gifts are pretty much most of the purpose of a shower so talking about it then doesn't really bother me, but she was talking about it in a completely different context - Cathy being involved with the pregnancy. Because gifts!  It just grated on me.

• Love 6

Thoughts on the episode:

Jill was the special daughter doing the right thing even from birth. She was the first natural delivery.

Michelle "We are grandparents now." while talking about Josie's birth. Uh, Michelle you were grandparents were when Josie was born. (Kynzie was a baby and had already been born.)

I am too excited by Anna saying "before you know it you're little one will be in kindergarten". I really hope that means J and A have found a kindergarten for Kynzie beyond the SOTDRT!

All of the little girls would want to help take care of the baby. What wouldn't little girls wouldn't? (Being sarcastic this seems to be the thought process behind the teaching the little girls how to hold and take care of a baby.)

I liked seeing Jill and Derrick learning about each other through the Pistol Pete trip.

I was really happy seeing Derrick state that he feels his kids should go to college if they feel they should. He sounded assertive too. Good for him and I'm glad Jill wasn't fighting with him about it.

I wish they had broken up this episode into two or something. It felt long and I got a little bored.

The note from Derrick's Dad was so sweet! Beyond words!

I can't believe how long it took to decide to a c-section. I'm no expert, but it seems they could have decided it earlier in labor than they did. It also seems they really didn't play up the health risks, which after talking with older people who knew people in similiar situations, seem much more serious than indicated. I'm glad Jill and Israel are ok. 

In general, the episode was nice and they seemed to be more bonded as a family than usual, although Jessa and Ben seemed caught up in each other. On the other hand, I can't believe anyone talked about Michelle having another baby! Not likely to the say the least. 

Anna's "Before you know it your little one will be in kindergarten" remark had me thinking that Josh, Anna & family are headed back to Arkansas within a year or so maybe, and the three mothers, Anna, Jill and Jessa [maybe even Marjorie by then] are planning to homeschool cooperatively. It certainly would make sense, although of course I'd rather see the kids go to a Christian school with kids to whom they are strangers, not relatives.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Jill and Michelle tea party seemed awkward to me.  It's almost as if a producer decided that they needed to make Michelle seem more maternal and supportive by staging a scene where Michelle gives Jill advice on pregnancy. But it just looked fake. There was very little evidence of mother-daughter closeness between the two of them.

I agree with another poster upthread about Michelle's bug-eyed expression and squeaky voice in that scene when she was doing Josie's hair. That was just plain creepy.

Edited by Bayarea4
  • Love 3

I strongly suspect that the reason TLC had to make 3/4 of this episode filler and regurgitated footage is because Jill persuaded them to heavily edit how resistant to medical intervention she was. I can't help but be happy it turned out the way it did, because it forced her to lose some of that smugness. Yes, "God" may have created the miracle of birth, if that's what you believe, but you just can't make the case that it always turns out safely without medical intervention. I've been doing some research and Jill could have a difficult path ahead of her, though. Vaginal delivery after C section is often difficult and if she ends up having to have many C sections, each one leaves another scar and weakens the uterus that much more. Much to her dismay, I don't see 19 kids in her future.

• Love 9

Ah yes, Woods… but he never fails to say for Jill and I or to Jill and I.  Now that they are 3, will it be for Jill and we or to Jill and we?  How consistently wrong can he possibly be?  Drives I nuts!

• Love 11

I am of the opinion that the Duggars appear to be more open to other ideas as they become more and more exposed to the outside world. I think that by the time Baby Iz is of age, going to college won't even be an issue. I wouldn't even be surprised if the lost girls wind up at a Christian school at some point as the J'Slaves continue to fly the TTH coop since Michelle has completely checked out UNLESS she somehow winds up dropping them off at Jill or Jessa's SOTDRT....

Apparently her doctor was cool with Jill's decision and Baby Iz wasn't in distress because he let her hang out at the hospital for almost another full day before taking the baby. If it was at all emergent, he would have taken him much sooner. It didn't sound like she thought for one minute, they could have turned the baby. She just mentioned the usual options in a transverse situation.

These people have no clue about how they appear on TV, so I'm reasonably certain that there was no influence on editing. I do think that Jill is perhaps a tad less anxious to have everything on display, so we got a little bit less than Anna's birth episode....but Anna really revels in that earth mother/goddess role. That being said, both Jill and Anna are clearly in love with their children in a way that we don't see from the Head Uterus. I'm sure she loves every one of them but her robotic demeanor makes it hard to display.

• Love 7
(edited)

The mother/daughter tea party looked like two individuals awkwardly trying to make conversation at a speed dating event, praying for the buzzer to go off so they can switch tables. Even with her older kids Michelle can't hold a normal, non-scripted conversation. I bet one of the producers has to give her talking points every time she films one of these scenes.

It also freaked me out when Jill and Michelle were talking about 6,8, and 9 year old girls taking care of the baby and were dead serious about it. I guess it's a crime in that family for a female to have any semblance of a childhood.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 11

No mention of her strep/antibiotics?

Jill really struggled saying Derrick's degree.  Most people hear the names of various degrees regularly, so we don't come off like we had to memorize a long sentence.

The shower really bugged me; those little girls were sitting/hanging all over Derrick, and they opened all the presents, not Jill.

• Love 2

Yep, Michelle still managed to make it about her at every opportunity.

I had seen the preview with Josie and the crib. I had posted how her hair seemed dirty and unkempt. I swear I would not have believed that that was Josie's "after" hair, yikes!!!

It looked like she put baby lotion in it.   Then the dirty feet on the counter.   Those closets/storage spaces have hoarder written all over them.   Everyone always looks grimy to me too.

Also, Jill's refrigerator is filthy.

This episode seemed edited into choppy bits, the Jill part anyway.  The rest was just bug eyed repeats.      I also agree that the baby was wailing why me. why me.

• Love 3

I got an overall "damage control" feeling about this. Maybe that's why there was so much Me-chelle?  Yet again...

Damage control would be a very good explanation for why "Jill's Special Delivery" didn't include much of her actual delivery--they couldn't show the incriminating footage, so they weren't left with much and had to somehow fill the rest of the episode. I wonder if it's TLC or the Duggars who are hyperaware and concerned about public perception?

• Love 9

The Jill and Michelle tea party seemed awkward to me.  It's almost as if a producer decided that they needed to make Michelle seem more maternal and supportive by staging a scene where Michelle gives Jill advice on pregnancy. But it just looked fake. There was very little evidence of mother-daughter closeness between the two of them.

Very staged and unnatural.  Much like that coffee shop scene with Michelle and Jessa during the Benessa courtship.

Did everyone notice Josiah's girlfriend, Marjorie?

• Love 2

I highly doubt there is much left in this show that isn't staged by producers.

• Love 5

Is JoHannah the dark haired one that sat reading the baby book while dad tried to get them excited about wrapping Derick`s gifts? The one who sat on the couch during the baby training rolling her eyes and ignoring her mother? I get the younger kids mixed up. I know who the first 5 are and Josie and that's about it.

Was it Jenny who insisted on diapering the dolls head? Good to know, she's as interested as ever in having kids. NOT.

• Love 3

Me thinks they took a second trip back to the miniature golf course sans chaperones for a "special" hole in one.  A blessed mistake.

• Love 1

Hannie has kind of dark blondish/light brown hair and Jenny and Jordyn are fairer.

One thing I was happy to see was that Jill didn't seem too emotionally crushed over the c-section. I was however,shocked by her "he's cute, he's not ugly" comment. It seemed kind of an odd thing to say about your newborn son.

Ok, I was half asleep, but was it Josiah and another brother in a TH who said something babyish about when Jill is married they kiss and do other stuff?   They sounded like silly 6 years old and now he is courting?

What has always bothered me about this family is the lack of laughter.  The kids did not know the word"gag" except as possibly puking.  There is no laughter here really, no humor but a sadness about them with the constant Jesus this and that.  And I'm Christian.  Where is the joy in their lives?

I'm surprised that they didn't know what a gag was because they seem to like pulling (IMO mean) pranks.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was completely grossed out by Boob in the scene when they brought the crib to Jill's. He said something like, "we were hoping for another one and we've been trying but it's just not working. Don't know if it's her parts or my parts." Holy inappropriate topic, Batman. He really is obsessed with sex and wants everyone to know he gets to bone the cheerleader. If I did not dislike MEchelle so much I would have felt sorry for her when he made that remark. I'm pretty sure they both know exactly whose "parts" aren't working the way these lunatics would like.

I thought Jill looked pretty in her THs with the wide headband so there's that. She wasn't as tarted up as the Duggar girls normally are and it suits her much better.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 8

* I was blown away in the most pleasant way when Derick said that he and Jill were willing to allow their children to choose their own destinies, i.e. go to college, decide which career path they'd like to follow, etc.  We'll see if that actually happens.

I think this is a pretty telling comment. There has been a good deal of discussion especially regarding Jana about whether or not JB and M would allow her to do something like Crown College besides what she's currently doing if she had the personality to push for it. I think this shows it's unlikely that they would. As happy as this comment makes us, if it ends up being true, it's a truly odd comment for normal people to make. Most people don't feel the need to say this because of course they can choose their own destinies. The fact that they even felt like they need say it to me means it's a reaction to not being allowed choices for their lives, or at least Jill's life. I really think JB and M do more than fail to provide opportunities or encouragement. I think it's clear to most of the kids that there are no options besides what JB and M want. For someone like Jana she just accepts that there are no choices and may even convince herself she doesn't want anything else to protect her sanity.

• Love 5

It's because they have no exposure.  On a much older episode one of the boys was talking about the family bus and he said something about what they do to keep busy doesn't include TV or movies or that "silliness"  - they don't watch cartoons, they don't read comic books, no america's funny videos or pratical jokes on each other. It's sad because even if they went with something Christian like Veggie Tales they'd get to see jokes and things that are silly and they don't do that so it's like their humor gene is completely shut down.

On the other hand - Did I see Michael running around the house wearing a magician cape and waving a stick around like a magic wand?  I don't know where he learned that but I fully approve and hope JB never notices!

This was not "Jills Special Delivery" - this was a rehash of the births and babies that they already rehashed for three hours the night before in the babies over the years special plus a good dose of stroking MEChelles baby making ego.  It would have been so easy for TLC to stretch Jill's final weeks of pregnancy, the extra long labor, the c-section and the homecoming into two hours; that story is more than enough and probabaly wouldn't have needed filler.  I kept fast forwarding, watched 5 minutes, fast forward again, watch 5 minutes again and when the DVR said there was 20 minutes left I started to think it was a total fake out, that at the end she'd say her water broke and we'd get a to be continued.  

If TLC likes re-living past events and stretching things out so much I can only assume we'll get all the other footage of Jill's labor in the special two part episode they'll have when Anna's next miracle arrives..........where the actual birth will be shown in the last three minutes of the episode.  But not to worry because we'll get all of Anna's labor footage plus an extra special call back to Jill and Isreal in the five hour six night event that will be Jessa's birth experience.  

• Love 6

My cousin has been visiting and she was watching this show so I sat with her.  I have been really disturbed by how much a fundie family is in the news, news that is actually presented as positive rather than revolting and dangerous.  I was horrified watching this show.  It's so disgusting that a fundamentalist family like this is actually celebrated in any way.  I feel like a bad person for even having contributed to the ratings and now contributing to commentary about this family.  It's this  train wreck I can't turn away from now.  

I just can't imagine how on earth this deeply terrible, horribly abusive, disgustingly fundamentalist family became popular.  I mean, I can see that there are a lot of people in this thread who are like me in recognizing that this is a disgusting family with parents who should be in jail, not rewarded and these people are probably hate watching.  But given that this show has been on the air for so long and that this family actually has the popularity to be able to be paid for magazine photos and expensive weddings and such, it must mean that there is a sizeable group of people who actually support them.  I just can't imagine how or why.  

Michelle mentioned something to the affect of:  "I've heard doctors and nurses know a lot about a lot of things."  Um, you don't fucking say, do you, Michelle?  If I never heard that woman speak again it would be too soon.

This was actually the comment I heard that made me sit down and watch.  I couldn't believe it.  Especially couldn't believe it even made it through editing as it doesn't seem to fit with the character they've created for the mother.

Yes she did say "he's so cute, he's not ugly." I get it -- lots of babies can be ugly when they're born - bruises etc. But REALLY? What mother has that has her first reaction to her first child??

To be fair, I know of several first time mothers who said this.  They are tired and loopy and things just pop out.  Or else they are responding to other comments.  Or they work laboring mothers and know that newborns are generally ugly and are surprised that their baby is so cute.  

In short, it seemed like a reasonably typical comment.

This is really shallow but I dont like Jill's "hippy" look. The ponytail with wide headband & dangly earrings. It seems to be a new look she's trying out.

I think it's more of a "I haven't bathed and I'm a new mother and covering it up is easier than finding my flat iron" look.  

• Love 5

After seeing these two sorry episodes this week, I'd be willing to bet the dog and pony show has reached the end of its run. I don't see how they  will be able to produce an interesting show about Anna's fourth delivery. All the rehashing of Michelle's births started after the interesting themes ran their course. I liked the Central American mission trips, the Europe and especially the trip to Japan and China. The only trick left after that was rehashing the earlier days. And since viewers were left in a catatonic state after watching last night and tonight's show, what's left?

• Love 2