Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We're All Animals Here

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

And this

I wasn't sure where else to post this - Dolphin jumps in to a boat in Orange County, CA
Image is slightly bloody but dolphin made it back in to the water.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/02/dolphin-jumps-in-boat-accident_n_7707318.html

And this

I wasn't sure where else to post this - Dolphin jumps in to a boat in Orange County, CA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/02/dolphin-jumps-in-boat-accident_n_7707318.html

• Love 1

And this

I knew it! Damn dolphins are in on it.  They're probably the masterminds behind all of the recent shark attacks in North Carolina as well.  Sharks aren't smart enough to get organized, but I'll bet they can be bought off fairly easily.

• Love 3

Thanks to all of you who mentioned the jaw-dropping Sharknado, with which I was not previously acquainted.  Having now watched it, I am pleased to note that there is a Sharknado 2 available, and even a Sharknado 3 in post-production!

Thus inspired, I'm almost ready to pitch a movie to a producer I know.  I just have to decide between Crocanado or perhaps Anaconado.

• Love 1

But why settle, Netfoot? After three outings of the single threat sharknado, is the world not ready for the double threat of both crocodiles and anacondas - Anacroconado! The [insert animal/s]nado franchise could go on forever

(edited)

But why settle, Netfoot? After three outings of the single threat sharknado, is the world not ready for the double threat of both crocodiles and anacondas - Anacroconado! The [insert animal/s]nado franchise could go on forever

Racoonado

Arachnidado

Manateenado

Tomatonado (sorry, I had to!)

Lionado

Leonardo de Caprinado

and my personal fave of course:

Slothnado!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

Racoonado

Arachnidado

Manateenado

Tomatonado (sorry, I had to!)

Lionado

Leonardo de Caprinado

and my personal fave of course:

Slothnado!

Wouldn't Tomatonado within minutes turn into Gazpachonado?

Love Slothnado - somebody please make that movie

• Love 1
(edited)

Trumpnado

No. Please no. We're already getting that in real life!

Wouldn't Tomatonado within minutes turn into Gazpachonado?

Love Slothnado - somebody please make that movie

Avocadonado

and it's sequel Guacamonado

Slothnado would consist of high winds blowing sloths everywhere and they just stay where they are when they hit the ground.

(prompting people to adopt them as pets and rescue projects)

;)

In the sequel, the sloths will have moved a few feet.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

In the sequel, the sloths will have moved a few feet

I saw a video of one a few weeks ago.  I knew they moved slowly but I never realized how slow they are.  I have to admit that they are kind of cute.

I saw a video of one a few weeks ago.  I knew they moved slowly but I never realized how slow they are.  I have to admit that they are kind of cute.

So slow that plant life grows on them!

Baby sloths are adorable.

• Love 2

I have yet to see a single episode of this show however having read through the comments in the episode threads I have decided I must.  SOMETHING has to fill the hole left from the hate watch fest and inevitable snark afterwards that was The Following.  Didn't think anything could top that show but lions making phone calls might just do the trick. 

• Love 1

I have yet to see a single episode of this show however having read through the comments in the episode threads I have decided I must.  SOMETHING has to fill the hole left from the hate watch fest and inevitable snark afterwards that was The Following.  Didn't think anything could top that show but lions making phone calls might just do the trick. 

I think the difference is that Zoo doesn't take itself seriously.  It's more campy, goofy fun than hate watch.

• Love 1

Well, we had our own cougar (of the feline sort, not the old lady sort [though we also have plenty of those]) in San Francisco lately.  Also caught on camera.  The pumas are definitely in on the plan and spreading out for the kill.  LOL

• Love 1

Well, we had our own cougar (of the feline sort, not the old lady sort [though we also have plenty of those]) in San Francisco lately.  Also caught on camera.

About 20 years ago in the mountains of northern Cali, my daughter's piano teacher was rounding a summit in her car when a cougar came down off the slope and hit her car, damaging it. She described the incident to her insurance agent, and then he asked about the cougar, "Did you get his license plate?" (thinking she meant the Mercury brand Cougar model of car), to which she replied, "No, but he left some fur in my hub cap." True story, to the best of my old memory's ability.
  • Love 2

Owls are the defiant ones!  My songbird rescue mentor kept baby barn owls in her bathtub,  Every time I went to take a piss, they would hiss - with their cute little snaky-head sinister google eyes - you haven't LIVED if you have not peed before them with impunity!!!  :=)

• Love 3
(edited)

The thing I love about cats is that their behavior is pretty much the same no matter the type.  My little tabby cat has the same behaviors as a mountain lion or a tiger but on a much smaller scale.  I know that it is my size and the supply of Fancy Feast that keeps from being prey!  I love the lion cat condo.

Edited by monakane
  • Love 1
(edited)

There is a heron that had a nest at the far end of the beach in a small bluff where I walk when the weather is cooler or cold. But in the last 2 years the water level has risen over 3 feet, and the heron nest is no more. :(

After work today I went for a swim. It is that very brief time of the year when the water temperature is around 70F, so I try to get 20 minutes in each day.

I was at the opposite end of the beach from the heron nest, so I was quite startled to see a heron fly and perch on the rocks adjacent to where I was swimming. I was imagining it was the heron I had seen many times before (probably not).

But then it seemed to be looking very closely at me (and I at it) and I found myself studying the shape of its pupil and a tad creeped out. LOL.

But the heron and I also did a little dance of parallel leap frog: I leaping to one side in the water and then the heron leaping in the same direction on the rocks.

Still, I never noticed before how vulture-like their bodies can be. To be fair, this is probably the closest I've ever been to a heron and it went on for about 15 minutes.

Point of this story:

I'm beginning to think watching this show might not be such a good idea, and I now understand what the uber-animal lovers were clamouring about over on IMDb before the show started.

But never fear, this show is like having Sharknado every week (a good thing IMO). Can I say "more fun than a barrel of monkeys"?

I just hope they get to a point soon where we have some sympathy for the animals.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

And my bird saga continues....

I was in my yard and kept hearing a bird doing the "wolf whistle," the whistle when a man whistles at a woman (I guess that's where the guys got that from?).  I don't know birds so I don't know which kind of bird makes that sound.  Anyway, I'm a pretty good whistler so for about ten minutes we were whistling back and forth with each other.  Yes, as a result of watching this show, I now talk to birds.

I have a high forehead and it glistens in the sun, and I used to get dive-bombed on the forehead with bird poop.  At least that doesn't happen anymore.

• Love 1

I used to live in a house with a large walnut tree.  When the nuts were ripe, the squirrels became very possessive.  If I stood under the tree, a squirrel would drop a nut on my head.  If I moved ten feet away but still under the tree, another nut on my head.  It was quite obvious that the squirrels did this deliberately.  

In tropical areas with trees that have dangerously heavy nuts or fruits, are there squirrels or other animals that use them as weapons?

• Love 3
(edited)

I used to live in a house with a large walnut tree. When the nuts were ripe, the squirrels became very possessive. If I stood under the tree, a squirrel would drop a nut on my head. If I moved ten feet away but still under the tree, another nut on my head. It was quite obvious that the squirrels did this deliberately.

In tropical areas with trees that have dangerously heavy nuts or fruits, are there squirrels or other animals that use them as weapons?

Our squirrels don't do that, but it sounds like a variation on the theme of the birds protecting their nests. I think the squirrels want to discourage you from getting to close to home.

And my bird saga continues....

I was in my yard and kept hearing a bird doing the "wolf whistle," the whistle when a man whistles at a woman (I guess that's where the guys got that from?). I don't know birds so I don't know which kind of bird makes that sound. Anyway, I'm a pretty good whistler so for about ten minutes we were whistling back and forth with each other. Yes, as a result of watching this show, I now talk to birds.

Many years ago I was bird-sitting a couple of canaries. I used to play jazz music on the flute, and when I would pause, the canaries would be tweeting in time with the music. Good times for sure. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I used to live in a house with a large walnut tree.  When the nuts were ripe, the squirrels became very possessive.  If I stood under the tree, a squirrel would drop a nut on my head.  If I moved ten feet away but still under the tree, another nut on my head.  It was quite obvious that the squirrels did this deliberately.  

I'm just picturing the squirrel dropping nuts on your head.  That must have been hilarious--at least to the squirrel.

• Love 1

The raccoon who thinks she's one of my outdoor semi-feral cats lays in the catbed perch by my back window every night, watching me, the tv and my indoor cat until I wake up and get her some treats (hot dogs or eggs are her favorites).  Two nights ago, she introduced me to her 3 little babies.  They are so stinkin' cute.  So I will be corrupting yet another generation of wildlife with my never ending supply of dry cat food, leftovers and treats.  :-)

• Love 2

Aww, that sounds incredibly cute! There's no bigger proof of trust than an animal introducing you to its young ones. Of course the racoon might have a different take on this: 'C'mon boys and girls, I'll show you the best deli in the neighborhood! Look smart!'

I never got attacked but regularly harassed by a squirrel on my way to school. The little guy would wait for me, pick a low hanging branch on a fir tree and just bitch at me from above like there's no tomorrow.

• Love 1
(edited)

Aww, that sounds incredibly cute! There's no bigger proof of trust than an animal introducing you to its young ones. Of course the racoon might have a different take on this: 'C'mon boys and girls, I'll show you the best deli in the neighborhood! Look smart!'

I never got attacked but regularly harassed by a squirrel on my way to school. The little guy would wait for me, pick a low hanging branch on a fir tree and just bitch at me from above like there's no tomorrow.

I've been corrupting friendly raccoon mamas and their offspring for ... generations.  I let my yard go wild when I was partially disabled and the old man left ... No watering, no chemicals, lots of animal feeding.  I have flocks of wild birds & butterflies, mosquito fish in the swamp/pool, honeybee hives in the brush ... skunk, possum & raccoon nightly visitors who peacefully share the cat food with my herd of semi feral cats ...  Casa de Deplorable/Grey Gardens West is a haven for all creatures, and an eyesore to the human community I eschew.  I may be dirt poor, but I am reasonably happy with my critters.  :-D

I WISH I had squirrels.  I spent many years feeding the cute little ground squirrels at my workplace with my wild bird food ...

Edited by walnutqueen

Whatever happened to the Milwaukee "lionlike" creature?  Haven't heard about it in some time.

I have a fairly decent commute to work every day, so I listen to audiobooks.  Went to the library today and picked out my next one... "Zoo".  It was just sitting there and I felt like I had to borrow it.  From reading the cover it sounds nothing like the show.

• Love 1

Dun dun dun!

Officials have captured the first photographic evidence of a pack of gray wolves in California since the 1920s. The pack, which consists of two adults and five pups, was found after a lone wolf was spotted earlier this year. 

San Jose Mercury News. It's all coming true!  The Milwaukee lion hasn't been spotted again, but we all know that's because it's making its way to California to participate in a summit with the wolves.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2

Well, I finished reading/listening to "Zoo".  It was terrible.  I know that James Patterson's empire almost certainly extends to putting his name as a co-author on books written by other people,  I can only imagine he had nothing to do with this book, and that it was all the product of the other guy.  The "Zoo" show was right to not have anything to do with this book.  The only thing they have in common are that there is a character named Jackson Oz (who in the book, is the "crazy" one trying to warn the world of issues with animals, a role that was given to his dead father) and a character named Chloe Tousignant.  Nothing else is the same.  No Reiden Global, no Abraham Kenyatta, no sinister villain, no Mother Cell.

The book is horribly written, and above all, it is, quite simply, utterly boring.  There's not many animal attacks.  There's way more bureaucratic and political squabbling which is thoroughly uninteresting.  There's this strange jump forward in time by five years, the purpose of which I didn't fully understand.  Above all, the discovery that the aberrant behaviour is caused by

cell phone signals and hydrocarbons

was a joke, and the ending of

"oh well, we live in a post apocalyptic world in which we lost to the animals"

was completely unsatisfying.

Also, while there are no Antarctic Lesbians, the book does feature African Lesbians!  They are gorilla researchers living in Rwanda.  

• Love 1