Type keyword(s) to search

Fresh Ink: Blindspot in the Media

• Start Topic

I am thrilled that we are getting a Season 3!  Pleasantly surprised, because the media was saying how terrible the show has done this year.  As far as ratings, I feel like this is a tough time slot for this show.  This show should have a 10 pm slot.  It's up against Survivor, which is still hugely popular.

More Roman and Jane for Season 3 please. 

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, blackwing said:

I am thrilled that we are getting a Season 3!  Pleasantly surprised, because the media was saying how terrible the show has done this year.  As far as ratings, I feel like this is a tough time slot for this show.  This show should have a 10 pm slot.  It's up against Survivor, which is still hugely popular.

More Roman and Jane for Season 3 please. 

More Roman, Jane, and Patterson in Season 3.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:59 AM, romantic idiot said:

Not interested in a season where Roman is a confirmed villain.

I really hope Roman isn't a villain.

Season 2 DVD/Blu-ray news:

The revelation of Jane's identity and the source of her origin leads to even more intriguing mysteries on the second season of Blindspot, the compelling NBC crime drama, to be released on DVD and Blu-ray August 8, 2017 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. From creator Martin Gero and Berlanti Productions, Blindspot: The Complete Second Season features 22 exciting episodes and loads of extras, including new featurettes, deleted scenes, a gag reel and much more. The second season of Blindspot will be released in eye-catching 1080p high definition video and will feature DTS-HD master audio, for superior sound quality. Blindspot: The Complete Second Season will retail for $39.99 SRP for the standard DVD edition and $44.98 SRP for the Blu-ray edition.

Special Features:

The Writer's Conspiracy Featurettes:

• Breaking Season 2
  • Premiere Revelations

Conspiracies and Cover-Ups Featurettes

• Zero Division
  • Sandstorm

Deleted Scenes

My Crazy Comic-Con Experience with Ashley Johnson (Agent Patterson)

2016 Comic-Con Panel

Bound and Gag Reel

So it seems like NBC is determined to make Season 3 the final season of this show?  I'm having a hard time understanding why they would renew a show that was already struggling in the ratings and then 1) move it to the TV wasteland of Friday night and 2) delay the fall premiere.  By the time the show premieres, there are bound to be more than a few "oh I had no idea this show was coming back" and "would love to watch but I have too much TV on my plate already" comments.

I'm glad the show is returning, even if Roman has been touted as the new Big Bad.  But I wish I didn't feel like NBC has already given up on it.

• Love 1

Emmy nomination for Blindspot:

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie
“The Blacklist”
“Blindspot”
“Gotham”
“Luke Cage”
“MacGyver”

On 6/28/2017 at 0:04 AM, blackwing said:

So it seems like NBC is determined to make Season 3 the final season of this show?  I'm having a hard time understanding why they would renew a show that was already struggling in the ratings and then 1) move it to the TV wasteland of Friday night and 2) delay the fall premiere.  By the time the show premieres, there are bound to be more than a few "oh I had no idea this show was coming back" and "would love to watch but I have too much TV on my plate already" comments.

I'm glad the show is returning, even if Roman has been touted as the new Big Bad.  But I wish I didn't feel like NBC has already given up on it.

Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods seem to have done ok for themselves on Friday. So maybe Blindspot can too.

Emmy nomination for stuntwork:

OUTSTANDING STUNT COORDINATION FOR A DRAMA SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE - 2018
· Blindspot NBC Christopher Place, Stunt Coordinator
· Game Of Thrones HBO Rowley Irlam, Stunt Coordinator
· Marvel's The Punisher Netflix Thom Williams, Stunt Coordinator
· The Blacklist NBC Cort L Hessler III, Stunt Coordinator
· Westworld HBO Doug Coleman, Stunt Coordinator Brian Machleit, Stunt Coordinator

I was very surprised to read about the renewal, especially after NBC took the show off during sweeps. It doesn't say whether the show was renewed for a full or truncated season. Be interesting to see how many episodes they'll get. 

3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I was very surprised to read about the renewal, especially after NBC took the show off during sweeps. It doesn't say whether the show was renewed for a full or truncated season. Be interesting to see how many episodes they'll get.  

The twitter 'headline' I saw about renewal specifically said it was a short season to wrap things up (whatever that means for this show, lol).

• Love 1
On 5/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, Loandbehold said:

I'm happy to see that it got renewed.  Knowing that it is the last season, they will be able to give viewers a good resolution to all of the open storylines.  The show is not on the fall calendar so it appears it will be a midseason debut.  Not sure how many episodes.

• Love 1

I, for one, am stoked that Blindspot gets to wrap things up, even if it is a short season. I know that 99 % of the population might not even know the show exists, but I enjoy it a lot, so it really doesn't matter to me. I probably can't even count high enough to count all the shows I've lost to abrupt cancellation ( and NBC is responsible for a lot of those), so I guess a thanks to them for the renewal, because with the super low ratings BS has been getting ( and I blame that on the Friday  night time slot, though I know it probably wouldn't do much better any other time), they had every right to cancel it. Here's to a happy life for Jane & Weller, to Patterson & Rich teaming up to run a mega corporation, and to Sasha to (finally) quit screwing over Reade !

• Love 3

https://ew.com/tv/blindspot-cast-pick-favorite-twists/

Personally, I am UBER PISSED that they didn't go with the "Roman has a twin brother" twist.  Who cares it if was "over the top"?  It could have kept Luke Mitchell on the show, and he could have played Namor, Roman and Remi's long lost Australian brother.   The fact that they failed to think this was believable deserves a Nancy Kerrigan-ish WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!   WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!?!!?!??!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

TV Ratings: Don't, Young Sheldon Rerun Top Night; Blindspot Hits Audience High
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 10 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/07/10/tv-ratings-burden-of-truth-season-3-finale-renewed-or-cancelled/

NBC | Blindspot‘s double pump did 2.43 mil/0.3 (marking a season high in audience) and then 1.81 mil/0.3, with both holding steady in the demo.

Can Blindspot Hack a Spinoff? Who Has Baby-Sitter Goals? Is Bold Type Out to Wreck Us? Huh, Yellowstone? More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso and Charlie Mason / July 10 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/07/10/blindspot-spinoff-hackers-patterson-rich-boston-tv-questions-answers/

21 | After Blindspot‘s second episode on Thursday, how badly do you want a spinoff about the hacking antics of Patterson, Rich, Boston and Kathy Gustafson?

Edited by tv echo
10 hours ago, tv echo said:

21 | After Blindspot‘s second episode on Thursday, how badly do you want a spinoff about the hacking antics of Patterson, Rich, Boston and Kathy Gustafson?

Yes to William, Rich and Boston.  But absolutely NO to Kathy Gustafson.  Hated everything about her.  The little girl voice, the innocent act, everything about her.  I would find her intolerable as a series regular.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I wondered if they were trying to sorta backdoor a spin-off with that last ep. I love those 4 together so I'm down.

Cybercrime is not compelling episodic TV...The only way this could work is Professor X vs. Magneto / Captain America: Civil War format.

(edited)

There's more to these interviews than what's quoted below (go to links to read entire interviews)...

Blindspot Boss Says the Show's Ending Is Open to Your Interpretation
BY LIAM MATHEWS@LIAMAATHEWSJUL 23, 2020
https://www.tvguide.com/news/blindspot-series-finale-martin-gero-interview/

[Martin] Gero, who wrote and directed the final hour as well as cameoed in one of Jane's hallucinations, told TV Guide about how he hopes fans interpret the ending, as well as the colossal undertaking of getting so many guest stars together for one episode, what he misses most about the show, and what he's working on next. 
Let's start with the ending. How ambiguous is that ending? Did Jane find a happy ending, or did she die in Times Square, or is it up to us to choose?
Gero:
It's up to you to choose. I mean, I think it's pretty clear. But what's so incredible about it is that it is kind of designed to be a Rorschach test. it's been amazing. Like, half of the people really think, "Oh, she died in Time Square," and half of the people think, "Oh, that's just a memory, or that's just an imagined possibility she's playing out in her head." 

Part of the finale that we wanted is we kind of wanted to give everybody everything. We wanted to have our cake and eat it, too, a little bit. We didn't want to hold back. We wanted to see everyone again. We wanted to go back to Times Square. And so we wanted people to have the ending that they want. So I know what my intent was, and I think if you look through the episode again, there are some indicators as to how I feel about it. But really, it matters more what you think than what I think.

It's like the ending of The Sopranos
Gero:
I'll take it. [Laughs] 

So I guess my question is a two-parter. Will you say what your interpretation of it is?
Gero
: No.
Did you always know how the series would end?
Gero:
We had a sense. We knew it was gonna end in Times Square, and over the years I think we had come to the image of a body bag in Times Square as a close-to-final image, whether it was gonna be for Jane or somebody else. We just liked the roundness of that. We had an idea of what the end was at the start, but then what's incredible about doing a TV show is it's really the collective result of thousands of artists moving the ball forward. And so as more and more voices came in, better ideas came up, and the idea for the finale was shifted over those years, but I'm very happy with it.

'Blindspot' Creator on Series Finale's Cryptic Ending and Why It Took 3 Months to Film (Exclusive)
By Philiana Ng‍ 6:59 PM PDT, July 23, 2020
https://www.etonline.com/blindspot-creator-on-series-finales-cryptic-ending-and-why-it-took-3-months-to-film-exclusive

At the end of the day, Jane and Weller diffuse the last bomb in Times Square and there's a flash-forward to a family gathering where they seemingly get their happy ending. But because it's Blindspot, the question is raised about whether Jane actually died or if the happy ending is all just a mirage. Is she dead? Can you basically set the record straight about what Jane was flashing to in her head? 
[Martin Gero:]
(Laughs.) No. Here's the thing. I think we had a very strong idea for what we wanted the end of the show to be. But we also felt like, because it's Blindspot, there was a duality in what we wanted and needed, and what the show wants and needs, and what the fans want and need. We were like, "Is there a way to build this where we believe our intent is very clear, but it is very open to the alternate interpretation?" And to our great surprise, it really becomes a Rorschach test of optimism or pessimism.

About 50 percent of the audience is convinced she's dead and this is all a dream. And 50 percent of the audience is like, she's essentially imagining a version that could have gone wrong and being thankful that it didn't. It's really amazing. Even the cast was 50/50 on what they [believed]. They were like, "I can't believe you kill Jane!" And then they're like, "Oh, she got her happy ending." And I was like, "Wow. OK, it works."

Tasha ends up being a private P.I. Rich has a boyfriend. Rich and Patterson have created a machine to find gold. Kurt and Jane are fostering kids. Were these all the endings you had in mind for these characters?
Yeah. I think we wanted the show to have a finality. We wanted the audience to know, I'm not missing out on adventures. The FBI missions that this TV show was about are no longer going on without me. But the idea that there are a bunch of fun spinoffs happening out in the world, it's a jumping-off point for fan fiction and a jumping-off point for potentially new series down the line. I would watch Rich and Patterson as treasure hunters. I would even watch a family drama with Kurt and Jane. So yeah, just the idea that because this is ending doesn't mean their lives are necessarily. 

Back to the ending, I'm questioning it more. I thought Jane was happy and totally fine. But now, maybe not...
Again, 50 percent and there is no right or wrong. That ending will evolve as you need it to. I think everyone right now needs a win and so everyone's like, "She lives! Thank god."

Is there a finite answer though?
Yes. And, not that this is the type of show that merits it, there are hints in the text throughout the season that make it pretty clear. Even in this episode, [there are things] that make it pretty clear what's going on. But both interpretations are totally valid and are intended to be totally valid.

Blindspot Boss Explains [______]'s Surprising Series-Ending Fate — Plus, Grade the Series Finale
By Rebecca Iannucci / July 23 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/07/23/blindspot-recap-series-finale-jane-dead-season-5-ending-explained/

For series creator Martin Gero, however, Blindspot‘s ending isn’t quite so black and white. TVLine spoke with the EP after screening the finale, and he offered some insights on Jane’s fate, as well as the “overwhelming” experience of shooting an episode that brought back dozens of previous cast members. Read on for his breakdown of Blindspot‘s final hour.

TVLINE | You’ve spoken before about your initial plan for Blindspot, including the big twists that you’d envisioned when you first pitched the show. How much of the finale was in your head from Day 1? Did you always know how you wanted it to end?
I did, and it has grown and transformed over the years. There were certainly elements of the finale that I had in my head that are part of the show, mainly returning to Times Square. But the exciting thing about working on a TV show is that when you start, it’s just you. It’s you, alone, in a room, and then thousands of other people come into contact with it and add their incredible intelligence and artistry. You’d be a fool not to let the show grow in directions you hadn’t anticipated to accommodate their amazing ideas. So parts of it, absolutely. But this really is a collective achievement of the room.
TVLINE | My interpretation of the ending was that Jane had died, and the dinner party at the end was perhaps her version of heaven. Is that how you want viewers to interpret it? Do you feel it’s more open-ended than that?
I don’t think there is a correct interpretation of it. I obviously have my intent, and I and the writers have a strong idea of what we believe. But we wanted it to be a bit of a Rorschach test, and I can’t believe how effective it is. Fifty percent of the people [who saw the finale ahead of time] think she’s definitely alive, and 50 percent of the people think she’s definitely dead. We wanted it to be everything for everybody. [Laughs] We wanted to do the things that we wanted to do, but we also knew there were some fan things that they desperately wanted to see, at least for a moment in the show. We made a big list and said, “OK, in our dream finale, what’s everything we could put into it?” And then we tried to honestly put as much of that into it as possible, as you can see. It’s a very full episode. But we wanted everyone to have an ending that they could feel good about at the end of 100 episodes.

TVLINE | The episode also drops a few hints about alternate universes and multiple iterations of events. Should that factor in to how we view that final scene?
I’ll let you interpret that as you will. [Laughs]

TVLINE | So there does seem to be some ambiguity here about whether or not she really died. Why did you decide to take that approach, as opposed to tying everything up with a bow in your last episode?
I won’t speak to whether she’s dead or not, but I think ambiguous endings… here’s the thing. This will not be an ambiguous ending to most people. Most people will believe that it’s one way or the other and have evidence on either side to make that case. What we tried to do was, yes, it’s ambiguous if you take a step back. But in reality, the viewing experience will be very clear one way or the other.

TVLINE | As a point of clarification: All those scenes that take place between the bomb getting defused and Jane realizing she’s dead — did those really happen in some form, if Jane didn’t actually survive? Patterson’s goodbye scene with Zapata and Rich, for instance?
It’s open to your interpretation. [Laughs] I’m sorry. We’re really happy with the balance of the ending, and these are conversations we want the audience to make the choices on.

‘Blindspot’ Creator on That Mysterious Ending & Why It Took Months to Film the Finale
Christina Radish    July 23, 2020
https://collider.com/blindspot-series-finale-ending-explained-martin-gero-interview/

What should we make of that moment where we see what could have happened, if Jane hadn’t survived? Are we supposed to wonder which one is the real ending, or was that just her playing out that scenario in her head?
GERO:
We’re not going to comment on that. What’s interesting about it is that it’s a Rorschach test for whether you’re an optimist or a pessimist, and whether you want a happy ending or a sad ending. Some people vehemently are like, “Oh, she was just imagining another possible scenario,” and some people like, “Oh, my god, she died and this whole dinner doesn’t even exist.” I think both are valid. I’ve shown this episode to people, just in the making of it, and it’s so incredible to watch the 50/50 split happen, where people are like, “What?! No! That’s crazy! Why would you think that?!” And that’s on both sides, which is by design. We want it to be satisfying, no matter what, if that makes sense. But we believe, if you really want to dig down and look for what our authorial intent was, that there are markers, throughout the text, that clearly state what we think it is.

‘Blindspot’ Series Finale: Creator Martin Gero On Possible Spinoff & Wrapping Up Jane Doe’s Fate
By Anthony D'Alessandro     July 23, 2020
https://deadline.com/2020/07/blindspot-series-finale-martin-gero-interview-spoilers-zapata-spinoff-1202993594/

Are you looking to develop a spinoff in the near future?
Gero:
Right now we have two things that are about to go into production. You know, I’m executive producing Christina Kim’s reboot of Kung Fu with the Berlanti team. That’s going to air on The CW, and then Brendan Gall and I have created a new NBC half-hour (Connecting) that will start airing in the fall.
So the series ends tonight with two endings: Jane imagining a happy life with her friends and Kurt, and actually winding up sort of full circle where we originally found her: In a bag in Times Square, except this time, she’s dead.
Gero:
For us, there’s certainly a clear, quote, unquote, like, “authorial intent,” but part of the reason we did it this way was we wanted the show to be emotionally satisfying, depending on what your emotional needs were in the moment that you watched the show, and what’s incredible about that ending is it really is, like, this 50/50 Rorschach.

Like, you can watch it with a group of people, and half of them are like ‘It’s crazy that you killed her at the end,’ and half of them are like, ‘Oh my god, I’m so glad she got her happy ending in Colorado.’ Both are right. Both are correct reads. You know, we as the writers haven’t chosen one way or the other, but I think part of the way we did it is, we want it to be the ending that you want it to be.

And her return to the body bag in Times Square. Tell me about coming full circle.
Gero:
Well, you know, there’s something beautiful. We did this graphic in the opening of the episode where it starts with, you know, 100, and the 100 turns around to 001. For us, we really love the roundness of storytelling, you know? Like, we liked that the beginning feels like the end, the end feels like the beginning. So, that image was always kind of in our minds, that there would probably be a body bag in Times Square — but it’s not the last image. It’s the penultimate image, right? It’s kind of a choose-your-own-adventure where the story ends. Does it end in the penultimate shot, or does it end in the final shot?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Blindspot’ Cast On Show’s End: Jaimie Alexander, Sullivan Stapleton & More | Entertainment Weekly
Entertainment Weekly   Jul 23, 2020

Entertainment Weekly presents Around the Table with Blindspot which gathers castmates Sullivan Stapleton, Jaimie Alexander, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, and Ashley Johnson, alongside creator/EP Martin Gero to celebrate the end of the show and discuss working on it the last five years. Fans will be invited to donate to The Actor's Fund to support the organization's efforts during this difficult time.

The Secrets of Blindspot Unlocked - Blindspot
Blindspot   Jul 23, 2020

Join Blindspot's creator Martin Gero and puzzle master David Kwong as they reveal how they created puzzles within the episode titles for fans to solve.

Edited by tv echo
15 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I hate when writers refuse to say what they really meant to have happened.

Also, if half the audience thinks something different than the other half, your intent was definitely not clear. 

I don't disagree but I think in this case, their intent was purposefully unclear. I find it a lazy way to end a series but it's common. They fall into the trap of wanting to please everyone. That never works.

7 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

I don't disagree but I think in this case, their intent was purposefully unclear. I find it a lazy way to end a series but it's common. They fall into the trap of wanting to please everyone. That never works.

I thought it was intentionally unclear, but in those interviews the showrunner kept saying how he felt like his intent was very clear but it was great that everyone had their own interpretation. But both things can't really be true.

• Love 2