Type keyword(s) to search

Fresh Ink: Blindspot in the Media

• Start Topic

From a number/ratings perspective, it makes sense somewhat (although, there is always a chance of a free-fall after Christmas.  It has happened before.)  Again, I just wonder if they will even be able to have enough content for this to go on for several seasons.

And, of course, I wonder if we'll still be getting numerous tattoo shots, or if Jaimie Alexander will have enough by then that Jane suddenly develops a fetish for long sleeves and turtle-necks, like Michael Schofield did on Prison Break.

"She tried to have [sullivan Stapleton] fired and replaced, which is pretty amazing considering their characters are supposed to develop a romantic interest,' the source told Page Six."

Welp, she and I see him in about the same light then... Actually, I rarely believe "sources," especially when we agree. Pfft. Stupid question - is SS or JA the star?

Can't help wondering if a good reason for a pulmonary illness would be standing around naked for bunches of hours during the makeup application process as opposed to, say, potential toxicity of the ink. Or shooting naked in Times Sq for hours in the middle of the night?

• Love 2

Stupid question - is SS or JA the star?

TPTB probably want us believe it's supposed to be both of them, but on balance, I'd say it's actually Stapleton. Based on episodic press releases, Alexander appears to be #1 on the call sheet, but SS has top billing and the screenwriting is tipped toward Weller as the overarching protagonist.  Weller's giant, grizzly bear, stalker-face looming over Jane's naked body in the title sequence says a lot.

• Love 2

Assuming this true, I can't blame JA for being upset about the the (potential) hazards of the ink on her skin, although the stuff with Stapleton is more suspect.  But now there's a blind item just coincidentally floating around that the crew is spitting in her food and drink because she's such a major pain in the ass.  It could be legit, it could have been spread by a disgruntled ex-employee but none of it reflects well on Alexander.  Plus, it's really gross.

Tbh, I believe the stuff about her and Stapleton.  I don't know if there's real animosity, but their dislike of each other could be leaching into their performances.  And that's the problem.  This isn't like Moonlighting, where the leads hate each other but have great chemistry irl.  These two went out the gate being bland and this could explain why.

I'm sure TPTB are happy with the numbers, but the show has little acclaim, if any.  And the writing takes itself so seriously like they're re-inventing the wheel, when it's just a procedural with a slightly different twist.  

They could replace either SS or JA fairly easily.  SS is easier -- ship him off to Fargo or wherever, or kill him off.  JA I think they would have to kill, but they have all her tattoos -- she's not really needed any more.  They could get rid of both as far as I'm concerned.

If crew is spitting in her food and drink, they and their supervisor need to be fired stat.  There's nothing JA could do that warrants that kind of disrespect.  You can bet they wouldn't do that to a man.

• Love 1

They could replace either SS or JA fairly easily.  SS is easier -- ship him off to Fargo or wherever, or kill him off.  JA I think they would have to kill, but they have all her tattoos -- she's not really needed any more.  They could get rid of both as far as I'm concerned.

SS definitely, JA is a little harder because her character would be a person of interest on this show.

SS definitely, JA is a little harder because her character would be a person of interest on this show.

You would think she would be, but they're not putting any time or resources into investigating Jane's history.  Right now, she's a map and an agent, neither of which require Ms Alexander.

• Love 3

It's the Daily Mail.

Really that's enough said. It means there's as little close to 0% chance any of it's true as possible. Even the National Enquirer doesn't make things up as whole cloth.

(EDIT - I see the story was ACTUALLY forwarded from Pagesix.com--in other words the NY Post. Note the NY Post's record on stuff like this is only marginally better than The Daily Mail's record. Cindy Adams and Richard Johnson pretty much just make stuff up, or often print even the most threadbare rumors, and everyone knows it).

I will say this. no matter who the producers might think is the show star (in the credits, calls sheet, or show writing), clearly it's actually Alexander in terms of show perception. COULD you have her die and slot in another tattooed woman for Agent Neckbeard to interact with?  Sure.  But you could also just have Neckbeard get shot and die and carry on with the rest of the cast. 

Alexander is the one who can actually emote and act. She's the one with charisma. Assuming she isn't REALLY at some point of leaving, or sick, due to the fake tats, if there really was some conflict between the stars, she'd have to be a hell of a B-word and have the whole production against her to lose the battle. And even then.. would she?  Julianna Marguiles is impossible to work with and yet is still on HER show over on CBS. I know it's a different show, different network, different production company, and yes, a title character... I'm just saying that it takes a heck of a lot to overturn the person who the public sees as the star of a well rated show.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

You would think she would be, but they're not putting any time or resources into investigating Jane's history.  Right now, she's a map and an agent, neither of which require Ms Alexander.

Now that you mention it, yeah it does.  I was actually referring to her past/flashbacks which haven't gone anywhere tbh.  It's why I haven't gotten invested in the Taylor Shaw/ etc. reveals.

1) COULD you have her die and slot in another tattooed woman for Agent Neckbeard to interact with

2) Alexander is the one who can actually emote and act. She's the one with charisma.

3) Julianna Marguiles is impossible to work with .

1)  They have Jane's tattoos o there's no reason for another "map".

2) My mileage can, and does, vary.

3) How do you know this?  I see that there was a supposed "feud" with Archie Panjabi, but both sides seem to be denying it.  I see "so-and-so" (always a woman) is impossible to work with so often,I feel that more often than not, men not able to stand a woman who stands up for herself.  (A guy, in a similar situation, would be called "assertive".) It seems to me like part of the systemic sexism that is part of Hollywood.

1)  They have Jane's tattoos o there's no reason for another "map".

2) My mileage can, and does, vary.

3) How do you know this?  I see that there was a supposed "feud" with Archie Panjabi, but both sides seem to be denying it.  I see "so-and-so" (always a woman) is impossible to work with so often,I feel that more often than not, men not able to stand a woman who stands up for herself.  (A guy, in a similar situation, would be called "assertive".) It seems to me like part of the systemic sexism that is part of Hollywood.

1.) IMO it would be a total copout to continue the show without the character who's the driver.  Her role is about more than the tattoos, because she's the one with the hidden past that links up to the secret of how the tattoos got there in the first place and why they're predictive. Agent Neckbeard's only essential role in the mystery seems to be as a name on her back to link her into law enforcement to thwart what the tats warn about.  Once she's in place, you can continue to have law enforcement involvement without Neckbeard, but you can't effectively explore the mystery of Jane's past without Jane. And we can't act like that past isn't important--too many flashback scenes have been included for it to be some casual part of the show.

2.) Okay, sure. I would say however that an informal glance around these forums indicates you're in the minority in thinking his acting is better than hers. That's fine. I'm just saying my statement isn't all that ridiculous, even though it's still a matter of taste.

3.) Of course I can't "know" it. But it's not really true that both sides are denying it. Panjabi has very strongly implied the feud is true in things she's said on twitter and to the press (after Marguiles and the showrunners, the Kings made some statements that said she was to blame for the horrid split screen final scene with the two actresses).  If she hasn't been more explicit I think it's likely just because she's bound by an NDA and also not wanting to make unnecessary enemies at CBS. And I'm sorry but that "it's only because she's a woman" defense is somewhat intellectually dishonest, I believe, as a counter to the rumors. That's a way to defend intolerable behavior without actually having to apply facts, logic or proof. You can't say for sure that a man acting like Marguiles has would simply be labeled assertive, because Marguiles' situation has been fairly unique. And in fact it's worth noting that if any of the rumors are true, she's gotten away with a hell of a lot. And has KEPT her show. So it's hard to pose her as some kind of victim here, just because the rumors eventually caught up with her.

Edited by Kromm

1.) IMO it would be a total copout to continue the show without the character who's the driver.  Her role is about more than the tattoos, because she's the one with the hidden past that links up to the secret of how the tattoos got there in the first place and why they're predictive. 

2.) Okay, sure. I would say however that an informal glance around these forums indicates you're in the minority in thinking his acting is better than hers. That's fine. I'm just saying my statement isn't all that ridiculous, even though it's still a matter of taste.

3.) she's gotten away with a hell of a lot. And has KEPT her show. So it's hard to pose her as some kind of victim here, just because the rumors eventually caught up with her.

1) IF they were showing that they cared how the tattoos got there and why they are predictive, I might agree with you.  But there doesn't seem to be any sense of "Isn't a coincidence that we find this particular tattoo just in time to stop a crime".  If they had found the dog forum one day later, it would have been too late.  But none of the agents even seems to notice that.  It feels like the are more of a map, than anything else.  

As to Jane's past, they put up a paradox -- Jane's DNA matches Taylor's, but her teeth come from Africa -- and then dropped it.  Her memory of being led away and finding the other kids -- also dropped.  I agree that JA, her tattoos and her past should be a cornerstone of the show, but that's not what I'm seeing.

2) A bit of misunderstanding here.  Compared to SS, JA does have more charisma and is a better actor (see block of wood above).  I was thinking in general, or even compared to the rest of the cast, she doesn't and isn't.

3. As I say, I don't know what happened between Marguiles and Panjabi.  I also don't see how her inability to get along with one person makes her "impossible to work with".  I don't know -- unless there's more evidence to support it, I'm going to remain doubtful.

Here's an interesting thought:  CBS is probably going to "cancel" Hawaii 5-0 or The Good Wife.  If she was so bad, that would make the decision easy.  On the other hand, it looks like Scott Caan and maybe Grace Parks are getting tired of H50.  So it could be the one to go.

3. As I say, I don't know what happened between Marguiles and Panjabi.  I also don't see how her inability to get along with one person makes her "impossible to work with".  I don't know -- unless there's more evidence to support it, I'm going to remain doubtful.

It's been too long for me to have specific links (although I'm sure they're posted on Previously somewhere) but several other stars (particularly Josh Charles, who's no longer on the show) have had interviews where they've left mysteriously dangling statements when asked about working with Marguiles, or how they felt about Panjabi leaving, or even the one or two times when reporters have had the balls to ask about the feud. There's a way to be non-committal about things that comes off as communicative of something you dare not say... and that's how most of these have sounded in the relevant interviews.  Again, it's not proof, but over time there were so many of them it really felt like people were only willing to talk about Marguiles in SUCH a general way for a reason (whereas if they talked about Panjabi the statements were warm and personal).

You could very well be right.  I don't watch the show, and don't much care about either actress, so I'm not particularly invested in the subject.  It's just that "difficult to work with" set off an alarm for me -- it's a phrase that I don't think I've ever heard associated with a man.

• Love 1

Could swear people have been saying that about Dustin Hoffmann for as long as I can remember, which is at least back to his Tootsie days. Or Russell Crowe or Charlie Sheen or even Bruce Willis. (Charlie Sheen I'd actually believe.) And that's coming from someone who hasn't seen a tabloid newspaper in yonks, not even at the supermarket, and doesn't spend much time on entertainment sites except when following the occasional link posted here. So not only women are the targets of statements like that. (But I also personally tend to at least wonder when I see stuff like that said about women if a guy would have had it said about him under similar circumstances. But then I am definitely biased, so that's no help.)

My solution is to gender-neutralize terms as much as possible. So men can be divas and bitches and definitely bimbos, too, while women can be complete dicks, and then we're all good, if badly behaved.

So back to Blindspot; the tattoo designer speaks out about the rumor published by Page Six,
And the cinematographer of the pilot has been nominated for an award:

Cinematographers on the television projects 12 Monkeys, Bessie, Blindspot, Casanova, Game of Thrones, Gotham, The Man in the High Castle and Marco Polo have been nominated for ASC Awards for Outstanding Achievement.

Television Movie, Miniseries or Pilot:

Martin Ahlgren, Blindspot pilot (NBC)

Pierre Gill, CSC, Casanova pilot (Amazon)
James Hawkinson, The Man in the High Castle pilot (Amazon)
Jeffrey Jur, ASC, Bessie (HBO)
Romain Lacourbas, Marco Polo pilot (Netflix)

The winners will be announced at the 30th ASC Awards ceremony on Feb. 14, 2016.

Edited by Trini

So Blindspot's camera work up for a prize??? Ouch. Anyone happen to know/ remember if shakycam was a later addition? Like not so omnipresent in the pilot? Or is that now being rewarded, and I just need to learn to like it? (And I wonder if it's telling that I haven't seen any of the other stuff...)

• Love 1

On the set article from EW.

I wonder if statements like this are just feeding the rumor mill:

During another, Jane’s motorcycle doesn’t start at all. Alexander, who’s feeling sick, decides to let her stunt double, Ky Furneaux, handle this one while she rests.

Variety interview with Jaimie Alexander:

What was the energy of your character Jane in “Blindspot” that drew you to her?

I’d read so many pilots, and I got offered a lot of stuff, which I’m extremely thankful for, but nothing was really striking a chord with me. All of the female characters were written to cater to the male lead, something I’ve always had a problem with. There are a lot of strong, female actresses out there — physically and emotionally — who are able to show so much range, yet the writing these days still isn’t on par with the talent. When I read “Blindspot,” it really struck a chord because I knew I’d need to utilize all of my talents — my fight background, (finding) the emotional depth of the character, her vulnerability. I love showing vulnerability. It’s important and not a weakness. Deep down, I felt like (Jane) was written for me.

No, it's just the continuation of Season 1.  And I don't find the prospect all that exciting, either way.

Agreed, although I barely even remember the first half so it may as well be another season with how repetitive it is.

Looks like we will be meeting the Director of the FBI soon and it will be none other then Dylan Baker!  Judging from past Dylan Baker roles, at best, he'll be at least a bit arrogant and shady.  At worst, well...... things might get very ugly.  But he's always awesome, so I hope he gives this show a needed boost.

• Love 1

'Six Things We Learned from the Cast of ‘Blindspot’ at NYC’s Paley Center':

Early on, “Blindspot” brought on David Kwong, who writes crossword puzzles for the New York Times, as a puzzle and magic consultant. “He’s a puzzle genius,” Gero said. “I think one of the things people like about the show is most of the puzzles can actually be solved.” For episode 17, the “Blindspot” producers reached out to Times puzzle editor Will Shortz. “He was immediately like, ‘Yeah, let’s do it.’ So ‘Got one Paterson’ was in last Monday’s real New York Times crossword.”

An interview with that consultant:

What kind of specific consultation do you give on Blindspot?

It comes together in a lot of different ways. Sometimes they have an idea for a puzzle and they run it by me, and I try to augment it or clean it up. A few times it’s good to go, quite frankly. Other times they say, “In this week’s episode, the FBI needs to get to this location -- what’s a great way that we can hide this tattoo?” The Blindspot team has everything pretty mapped out; they have the big picture worked out and know where they want to go with it, so it’s kind of the finer details that I help out with.

Article about Jaimie with a gallery of photos:

During her choreographed fight sequences, "It was like a sixteen-, seventeen-hour day where it was just all fighting and torturing," she says. She knows about fighting, though. This is a woman who started a women's high school wrestling team, despite her principal calling it "barbaric." "I went and started it anyway. We ended up winning a lot of tournaments, and it was a really good way to keep a lot of young women out of trouble and teach them a little bit of self-defense and discipline," she said.

Emmy magazine article about Jaimie:

Keeping the vibe sunny is something of a coping mechanism for Alexander. "If I have to bawl my eyes out and it's a heavy scene, I always goof off in between," she explains. "Maybe it reminds my soul that it's not real, so I don't take it home with me."

Interview with producer Martin Gero about the mid-season premiere:

I had no idea that Borden could fight like that. That move with the handcuffs on Weller? That was straight out of the Ninja Academy.

Gero: Ukweli actually does parkour. He's a guy who does parkour! He's an incredibly gifted dancer, so it's been incredibly nice to show his physicality on the show, because that fight sequence is amazing. That's both of them -- that's actually Ukweli and Sullivan for the whole thing and they did an amazing job.

• Love 1