Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Ashes to Ashes

Kol was so good on TVD. I wish they dropped the Silas stuff and used him as the big bad that season. At least his death back then would have been more meaningful. Alas...

• Love 1

Disappointing.  Claudia Black (who's the best thing on the show in a long time)  should have had a much bigger, more eventful climax to her story.  Really, they shouldn't have killed her off at all.  Give her a cliffhanger, at least. 

Plus, I know this show can be really bad on follow-through, but wouldn't it have been so much more satisfying if they'd tied in the fact that Dahlia killed Aidan into some kind of revenge moment for Josh?  Like it's Josh (rather than Cami) who accidentally stumbles on the exact way to kill Dahlia?  I hate that Josh is just pushed to the background again, when it was his loss of Aidan that had so much more actual emotional impact than a lot of the Klaus/Cami style storylines they try and push on us again and again.

• Love 3

I'm afraid he's not as he has a different show coming up now. I would love nothing more than for him to come back. He's such a brilliant actor they really should have held on to him when they had the chance!

• Love 1

I'm afraid he's not as he has a different show coming up now. I would love nothing more than for him to come back. He's such a brilliant actor they really should have held on to him when they had the chance!

My heart just shattered.  Looked up the new shoe and the premising is...WTF.

I've been catching up on this show for weeks now, but felt like I couldn't comment on anything until I'd finished the whole thing (who wants to read a post about an episode in December from someone who watches in June, y'know?)

I really like this show because it's about family and power, and when, to me, TVD sold out its idea of family at the center of the show to basically become X-Men (supernatural friends unite to fight together), I dropped it and picked up The Originals. I love the...bad Shakespearian supernatural soap opera of it all. Klaus is basically Hamlet with all his whining, but the bonds between the siblings (and Marcel as the adopted son) are powerful. So, of course, because this season focused on family -- up to and including the big bad -- I really enjoyed it.

I went back and forth about Hayley, Jackson and the wolves throughout the season, but I just could not when her asinine escape plan from the most powerful witch in the history of ever was the same as the knights from Monty Python with their coconuts: "Run awaaaaay! Run awaaaaay!" I mean, not only running on foot (?!) from Super Powerful Mega-Witch, but Klaus the Immortal Hybrid, who is impervious to wolf bites, and in the words of Clueless, get over yourself.

That goes for you, too, Jackson -- your perceived display of wolf genitalia is impressive, but it's also Darwin Award-worthy. Gee, who would I rather have protecting my baby: a super-powerful immortal family, or basically dogs with slightly larger teeth who know the bayou real well? To say nothing of the immortal family having hyperspeed, so y'know...they may not know the bayou, but they can probably find you in the 2.6 seconds it takes for process of elimination. Here's a thought: why don't the both of you get over yourselves, use the super-powerful immortal family to protect your baby, and then once the threat has passed, think about playing "It takes a pack to raise a child." Idiots.

(And the fact that Elijah and Rebekah thought this was a good plan proves that Klaus had gone so far round the bend, that they thought the only definition of "a good plan" was "the opposite of what Klaus wants.")

Other than that, I enjoyed Klaus' plan. I did find it interesting that Dahila would unknowingly show Klaus her weakness. I can't figure out if that was contrived or if it makes sense because she has no concept of real familial love or what people will do to protect it. But siblings daggering siblings, mothers torturing sons, sons killing fathers, sisters killing each other...I am here for that. To me, it made the season that much richer and more resonant. Every death had history to it -- and that made each of them a little more powerful, to me, than "that villain who just showed up and decided he/she wanted to kill me."

I also like what they are doing with the witches. I feel like that was sort of a throwaway story on TVD, where it's explored in more depth here. I actually love that Davina is regent because she's a teenager. That feels Shakespearian, too -- somebody so young having that much power. And I love that Marcel being a pseudo-father figure to Davina will always complicate any revenge she has against the vampires. And I just love Vincent -- so happy he's sticking around.

I'm afraid season 3 will be a letdown because there are seemingly no more evil family members left to kill, but maybe we'll see the return of Finn and Kol. But I'm sticking with this show, always and forever (or until cancellation parts us). It's going to be an uphill battle in the Thursday at 9PM death slot, but since when have Klaus and company ever shied away from a challenge?

• Love 3