Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Det. Dave Majors

• Start Topic

Jake is excited to work a case with the best detective in the NYPD, Detective Majors, until Majors shares his intentions to ask Amy out on a date. Meanwhile, Charles and Gina try to convince Terry to stay at the Nine-Nine when he considers accepting an offer to work at a private security firm.
(edited)

On the scale from Charles to Terry, Terry WISHES he could be a ten.

"Did you tell him Terry hates walls?"

"Terry loves walls."

Terry: "Do you know how much diapers cost?!"

Hitchcock: "Yes."

The long pause after that was so great.

I love how Amy's first thought at the murder pictures were that someone had to do some regrouting.

"If I were at Copperhead, I'd be home swimming in a pool of gold coins like my boy Scrooge McDuck." Come on, who else wants to see Terry do this?

EDIT: I'm with Peralta, I can't unsee Rosa doing Amy's "hair behind the ears and giggling" move. Because it was great.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

I had such high expectations for this episode but I felt it wasn't as funny as it could have been.  For one, why did they bring on Garrett Dillahunt and essentially have him play a straight man whose main purpose was to cause jealousy in the Jake/Amy melodrama?  His comedic talents were woefully underutilised. 

I did like the reveal of the long con Holt was playing. "I can't keep a straight face.."

I also liked the opening tag with Rosa in pink. 

• Love 3

I love Garrett Dillahunt. And I miss Burt Chance. I think I was half-way expecting Burt for that part.

Awesome that the way Holt convinced Terry to stay was to remind him of the good they do on the job. Of course that would be what was most important for the sarge.

Loved the puffy vest exploding when Terry flexed.

• Love 3
(edited)

I laughed out loud when Holt told Gina to "limit the alerts to RoyGBiv." And I thought I was tired of the Jake/Amy dance, but damn they're adorable.

Edited by Thog
  • Love 3

I did not know Garrett Dillahunt was going to be in this, so that was freaking awesome.  The man can do almost anything.  I was disappointed that it ended up being a case of him being a potential love interest for Amy/obstacle for Jake.  I would rather they just kept it at both Jake and Amy competing to impress him, because he was the top detective thing.  I like their competitive rivalry stuff.  The bits of Jake boasting about all his sunglasses stances and Amy with her notepad worked.  Jake breaking into the club to ruin the date, didn't so much.  Still, the overall plot had a decent amount of laughs.  And, for some reason, I did love Majors' final "I wonder what's in store for me next?" line.  He really sounded baffled: like he's never been rejected before.  I certainly wouldn't be against a return.

As soon as Holt mentioned the past case files, I figured he was using that to have Terry remember all the good work they did, and why he wouldn't want to leave.  Still, I enjoyed Boyle and Gina really not wanting Terry to go, and their attempts to prevent it (including filing!  Gina actually did filing!)  But my favorite part might have been Holt freaking out (well, it being Holt, it was more mild concern but that's big for him) over Gina leaving her phone at her desk, and assuming she was dead.  I guess Gina without her phone would be very suspicious.

Despite Rosa not doing much in this particular episode, they sure made the most of her.  Her Amy imitation and the pink shirt bit in the cold opening, were probably my favorite parts.

To add to the list: Terry likes walls, lavender, and Scrooge McDuck!

While I generally like the Amy/Jake stuff, I did think the final shot of seeing adjust her hair in the window, came off a bit too much like something I would see The Office.  I just hope it doesn't take them that long to go there (assuming that's the plan), because that's going to get tiring very fast.  I prefer the Leslie & Ben from Parks & Recs approach, opposite of the Jim & Pam one.

• Love 4

So Majors is the anti-Vulture, then? A really badass, cool, successful detective who is also a genuinely good, affirming, positive guy? Loved it. He was really sound to both Jake and Amy, didn't get annoyed with them showing off, didn't get pissy when Jake solved the case, and his genuine confusion over being rejected was delightful.

"I wonder what's in store for me next?" I might start using that, whenever something unexpected happens. Garrett Dillahunt's delivery was fantastic. He was so befuddled over the idea that someone would reject him, but also completely not offended by it. I hope they bring him back in the future.

Terry's storyline made sense, for a guy who loves his job, but loves his family more. I expect that's a very real conundrum for a lot of law enforcement guys who are offered gigs with these private contractors. I liked the resolution, with Holt knowing his man so well, and knowing that just refreshing Terry's memory on the great things he's achieved would turn him around.

Amy and Jake are adorable dorks, and their chemistry is so well grounded in warmth and friendship, that I really think they work together. They can be competitive, bickering, they can be supportive and they can be flirty. It all works. I loved Jake's slip about "our sex tape", and Amy's stunned reaction. That's a big step, for just a single changed word. I just hope the writers don't ruin this dynamic by stringing it out for too long. We've seen Jake not ask Amy out because another guy got there first twice now. The solution to them not pushing the relationship forward yet seems to have been to just not have Jake and Amy in scenes together. Be grown ups about it, writers. We've seen that you can. Taking too long, and dragging things out will kill any potential couple, and I think the endgame now has to be upon you.

Rosa mimicking Amy was frightening, but she seemed generally lighter and more cheerful in this episode (as signified by the pink top), and I liked it. Stephanie Beatriz somehow seems natural when she's smiling, as much as she does scowling. But it's a sort of sly smile that fits Rosa perfectly.

• Love 5

I thought Holt was pushing Terry out so he could make better money for his children.  The exploding puffy vest was magic!

I hope they don't draw out Jake/Amy past this season. The obstacles are getting to be too much. Let's get on with it!

(edited)

So Majors is the anti-Vulture, then? A really badass, cool, successful detective who is also a genuinely good, affirming, positive guy? Loved it. He was really sound to both Jake and Amy, didn't get annoyed with them showing off, didn't get pissy when Jake solved the case, and his genuine confusion over being rejected was delightful.

"I wonder what's in store for me next?" I might start using that, whenever something unexpected happens. Garrett Dillahunt's delivery was fantastic. He was so befuddled over the idea that someone would reject him, but also completely not offended by it. I hope they bring him back in the future.

And he broke up with his girlfriend because she blamed Hurricane Sandy on gay marriage. Such a great little throwaway line, I thought. I agree, I thought he was great, and another way the writers show that they like to avoid the obvious route - Majors could easily have turned out to be a dick like that guy from the Homeland Security terrorist simulation thing, leaving Amy and Jake disappointed, but no.

My favourite thing in the episode may have been Jake's little "I can't go around telling other guys not to ask Amy out just because I like her" rant. Most sitcoms might've used jealous, petty Jake as a gag, but not this one. In general I just love how they're always making it very clear that Jake is a guy who respects women and their right to make their own choices.

As for the Terry plot, Holt's revelation that he'd played Terry was a surprise to me. I actually thought Holt was being petty because the security firm was going after someone else than him, even though he didn't want the job. I like the real reason much better.

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that they seem to be going there with Jake and Amy. I like them as friends and would much rather have them stay that way.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 2

"Despite what I've been saying for years, that ass just might quit." Gina Linetti, national treasure.

It might have been funnier if Holt hadn't been conning Terry - if he'd said, "I just wanted you to digitize the files, that's all."

• Love 2

While I generally like the Amy/Jake stuff, I did think the final shot of seeing adjust her hair in the window, came off a bit too much like something I would see The Office.  I just hope it doesn't take them that long to go there (assuming that's the plan), because that's going to get tiring very fast.  I prefer the Leslie & Ben from Parks & Recs approach, opposite of the Jim & Pam one.

Oh! That's exactly how I felt. And I loved Jim & Pam a ton, but that hair tuck was so "LOOK SHE LIKES HIM!!" it very much bothered me.  I am not sure if I'm ultimately pro-Amy/Jake. They're fun as friends, but could be great fun as a couple. I can't decide. But either way, I really don't want them to drag it out too much longer. 

Rosa mimicking Amy was frightening, but she seemed generally lighter and more cheerful in this episode (as signified by the pink top), and I liked it. Stephanie Beatriz somehow seems natural when she's smiling, as much as she does scowling. But it's a sort of sly smile that fits Rosa perfectly.

I get the feeling we're seeing this lighter pink-wearing Rosa because of her relationship with Marcus. But don't tell Rosa I think this. She'd murder me. And then slyly smile. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh! That's exactly how I felt. And I loved Jim & Pam a ton, but that hair tuck was so "LOOK SHE LIKES HIM!!" it very much bothered me.  I am not sure if I'm ultimately pro-Amy/Jake. They're fun as friends, but could be great fun as a couple. I can't decide. But either way, I really don't want them to drag it out too much longer. 

Yeah, the "I don't date cops" revelation from Amy felt like nothing so much as a big fat Roadblock (capitalised to emphasise the tropeyness of it). Their relationship was treated really well by the writers, up to the point where Amy confessed she had liked Jake back.

Since then, they've just avoided giving them scenes together, and now they're starting to throw obstacles in the way to delay things. It's starting to feel sadly like 'television'. But the fact they showed Amy was full of it with not wanting to date fellow cops makes me hopeful that it's a very brief roadblock. Something to set up the season finale. There's nothing that turns me off a show so much as writers devoting more energy to keeping a potential couple apart than they do to actually writing entertaining television.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

I think the show is playing up a real good dynamic in this Amy/Jake relationship. They both know they have feelings, but value the friendship and their respective careers that complicating those is a terrifying proposition. I think that's a very real and adult issues that many people feel in the workplace. Where Parks dealt with Amy & Ben sneaking around despite the rules in it's terrific third season, this show is dealing with the characters combating their own emotions and logistics.

I've long been a Gina supporter as I thought she added a good countering force to a lot of the happy go lucky ensemble. That said, I've noticed her character has mellowed and is not quite so outrageous and I feel like they've really dialed her character in. She's still quirky and can be biting, but she fits much better into the plots now. She had some great lines in this episode, The Charles to Terry scale, the ass that won't quit, being buried with her phone, and needing to get in contact with Pam Grier to serve frozen yogurt.

• Love 4

I thought Gina was so rude and unnecessarily mean to Charles this episode. Someone should remind her that she's the one who slept with him for months.

I HATE when the lead characters finally get together on sitcoms. It always ruins everything. I hope this never happens again.

• Love 1

I HATE when the lead characters finally get together on sitcoms. It always ruins everything. I hope this never happens again.

Two prominent examples I can think of where that isn't the case: Friends and Scrubs. Granted, Scrubs made a mess of JD and Elliot, on and off, for a good long while, but them initially getting together didn't ruin anything, in my view. Their determination to keep dancing around the couple without ever letting them be happy was what ruined them.

I don't think the mere act of it can possibly ruin something like a sitcom. It's how the relationship is written, or avoided, from that point onwards. If TV writers were just willing to let relationships exist without having to make the characters all about those relationships, then they'd be much better off. It works on shows with couples that are already married (there are plenty of those, after all).

I think the show is playing up a real good dynamic in this Amy/Jake relationship. They both know they have feelings, but value the friendship and their respective careers that complicating those is a terrifying proposition. I think that's a very real and adult issues that many people feel in the workplace. Where Parks dealt with Amy & Ben sneaking around despite the rules in it's terrific third season, this show is dealing with the characters combating their own emotions and logistics.

I like this aspect when they've played it up, but I think it's been rather undersold since they did both admit there were feelings there. You can only shove Amy into crappy C-plots with Gina so many times before I resent you for it.

I do like that they haven't made Jake's reluctance all about him being a manchild who doesn't want to grow up and settle down. His relationship with Sophia went wrong because he wanted more out of it than she did, and he seems to be aware and comfortable with the fact that dating Amy wouldn't be casual or carefree.

It would be nice to get more of what Amy's feeling and thinking, though. Give her more of an active role in proceedings.

• Love 3
(edited)

Some people would also argue that Parks wasn't ruined after Leslie/Ben.   It's arguable.  I feel nothing for Amy nor this Jamy 'romance non-romance' because this is not what I want from this type of show so I really don't care, but I still think it's case by case.  Romance fits Parks a lot better than this show, hard to explain but this show seems more superficial than Parks, and I'm not meaning this as an insult.  Just that everything on this show tends to run on the surface and it gets a bit awkward when it gets too deep into something.  However I do love Charles' love for Jake and I do love Gina's love for Terry...   Maybe the problem is though I really do love Andy Samberg I'm not really convinced by his character's display of emotions towards Amy.

It would be nice to get more of what Amy's feeling and thinking, though. Give her more of an active role in proceedings.

That's probably another reason I'm so turned off by it.  It's so typical and cliche.  Add that in with the fact that I find Amy completely unoriginal and unexciting and there you go.  It's Pam all over again.

She had some great lines in this episode, The Charles to Terry scale, the ass that won't quit, being buried with her phone, and needing to get in contact with Pam Grier to serve frozen yogurt.

LOL.

Then Charles jumped in with a long speech to Holt and concluded it with "I never thought I'd say this.  But you have to get Gina in touch with Pam Grier."  Absolutely unexpected and hilarious!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Some people would also argue that Parks wasn't ruined after Leslie/Ben.   It's arguable.  I feel nothing for Amy nor this Jamy 'romance non-romance' because this is not what I want from this type of show so I really don't care, but I still think it's case by case.  Romance fits Parks a lot better than this show, hard to explain but this show seems more superficial than Parks, and I'm not meaning this as an insult.  Just that everything on this show tends to run on the surface and it gets a bit awkward when it gets too deep into something.  

Ooh. I think you're right. I think the reason I don't know whether they should get together is because I ultimately don't care if they get together?  I love the characters, and I love the show, but it's definitely not Parks.  Which is not a bad thing. Parks made me cry on many occasions, and I'm okay that B99 doesn't. It's got its own thing. So, yah, I'm not emotionally invested them as a couple. Whether that lack of investment means it's a bad idea is another thing.  I guess we'll see. (Soon, I hope). 

• Love 1

Brooklyn Nine Nine is also funny. Parks & Rec failed to convince me of the same thing repeatedly ('oh the first season's not that great, but you have to watch the second.' 'oh, the first episode of season 2 is kinda weak, but keep watching', 'oh, well you'll love the second half of season 2'. Uh, no thanks, I don't feel like I should have to watch hours of television just to dig my way through to a half-decent sitcom). So the less it's like Parks & Rec, the better.

I think this show does just fine with evoking emotions other than laughter. But it does what a good sitcom should do, and that's make me smile even when it's not making me laugh. They do play things with a lighter touch, and don't dwell in deeper emotional areas. But there's no reason they have to, when the characters and performances are as strong as they are. I'm quite happy to see one of them angsting briefly over some small issue, and then have it be resolved by the end of the episode.

• Love 3

I actually think holding off too long on a will they/won't they question is what does some shows in (like by the time the characters decide if they will or won't, the audience is bored and doesn't care). Another example of a show that has the leads in a relationship done well is Big Bang Theory.

The Terry explodes the puffy vest is awesome. My theory for Holt having Terry do the digitizing was that he kept specifically saying by 9 AM - I thought maybe the contractor guy had given a 9 AM deadline or Holt had planned a "let's keep Terry around" party...However, as somebody else said earlier, what actually happened is much more Holt-appropriate.

I missed Rosa being more in the episode this time. I know she was in the episode, but it didn't feel like she was an active participant, just a sounding board. And I adore Rosa.

• Love 2

I did not know Garrett Dillahunt was going to be in this, so that was freaking awesome.  The man can do almost anything. 

I disagree. He can do anything.

Loved the puffy vest exploding when Terry flexed.

Oh man. That was the best. And Terry's face was hilarious.

Great ep. Loved when Holt said he couldn't keep a straight face. I loved so much about this one. Charles had a lot of great lines and moments, too, but then he's one of my [many] favorite characters.

• Love 3

My favourite thing in the episode may have been Jake's little "I can't go around telling other guys not to ask Amy out just because I like her" rant. Most sitcoms might've used jealous, petty Jake as a gag, but not this one. In general I just love how they're always making it very clear that Jake is a guy who respects women and their right to make their own choices.

So agreed. I love that they have managed to create an idiot manchild who is so mature.

• Love 5

Terry's storyline made sense, for a guy who loves his job, but loves his family more. I expect that's a very real conundrum for a lot of law enforcement guys who are offered gigs with these private contractors.

Oh! I must have missed the part where the job was at a private security company because I thought he was being offered a higher paying job at another precinct. At least now it makes more sense, although I still think the pay raise and all the perks made the job too good to pass up for a man with two small children and another on the way. 

I'm not a fan of the whole Jake and Amy thing, though. I don't know why every show in the world feels the need to pair up the leads. I also didn't buy that Jake solved this case so easily when the "best detective in the NYPD" was looking at the exact same photographs and couldn't figure it out. Jake is funny but the absurdity of his character makes him implausible as a successful cop or a serious love interest.

"Oh look at me, I can't keep a straight face." Where is that Emmy?

• Love 2

I think my very favorite part of this episode was that Jake solved the crime in typical Jake fashion. I'm not sure how to explain why that was important to me, but just that simple action made everything else better in my eyes.

• Love 1

I think my very favorite part of this episode was that Jake solved the crime in typical Jake fashion. I'm not sure how to explain why that was important to me, but just that simple action made everything else better in my eyes.

Agreed!

Yes!!! My jaw dropped on the damned floor. I was all "wait now...did a sitcom just have a thwarted-in-love guy admit culpability in his own misery due to his own inaction? He's not angry at the 'interloper' or the woman? Holy shit, that's incredible!" I also really appreciated Rosa's solid advice: if you like her, you have to let her know that you're an option.

I find myself constantly amazed at how Samberg can flip a switch and go from total goofball to endearing sweetheart. He does earnest very well, IMO. I am still trying to figure out how exactly he managed to deliver "you are so...consistent" such that it came off as the most flattering compliment in the world.  And Amy turning the tables and getting him with his own email/sheep fake-out was perfection. I love these two. Hope a romance won't fuck it all up. But I was happy with Parks and Rec, so I am optimistic. And this exchange:

"Why doesn't your mouth work?"

"Title of our sex tape!"

"...what?"

"YOUR sex tape!!! What? No..."

...was priceless.

"Despite what I've been saying for years, that ass just might quit." Gina Linetti, national treasure.

I normally can't stand Gina, but I will admit that the show does give her some fucking gems now and then. It was really nice to see her actually work to get Terry to stay.

• Love 6

Two prominent examples I can think of where that isn't the case: Friends and Scrubs

Jimmy and Sabrina on Raising Hope (speaking of Garrett Dillahunt!) also worked pretty well.  Agian, it's critical not to draw it out too long.  (The fact that they both are interested in a relationship -- it's not one-sided -- also helps.)

Brooklyn Nine Nine is also funny. Parks & Rec failed to convince me of the same thing repeatedly

I watched the first few eps of P&R (because Rashida Jones was HOT on The Office) and 2 episodes from Season 3 (supposedly one of the best).  Blech.  Awful people saying and doing awful things, and not a bit of humor.  Yuck.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/4/2015 at 9:32 AM, Schweedie said:

"I can't go around telling other guys not to ask Amy out just because I like her"

So I'm not the only one who heard the unspoken "... like every other sitcom guy"?

I was expecting Majors to be revealed as a creepy douche, and to disappoint either Amy or Jake or both. So happy they avoided that particular cliché as well.

On 5/8/2015 at 12:38 PM, NoWillToResist said:

I also really appreciated Rosa's solid advice: if you like her, you have to let her know that you're an option.

Rosa might be my favourite character. Under the glares, there's a genuinely principled, generous person. Stephanie Beatriz has great comic timing.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2