Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

A diabetic teenager faces a tough time after falling pregnant, a situation complicated by her boyfriend's criminal past. Nurse Crane offers what support she can - but the girl's life is endangered when the young lovers go on the run. A case of petty theft brings a group of Irish travellers to the attention of the midwives, who end up treating a newborn infant and looking after an expectant mother, and it seems Fred's romance is on the up when he asks Violet to accompany him to a fundraising dance.

Loved Mrs. S as a Traveller matriarch. I am not loving Sister Whatever Cynthia. The dorky looks of understanding and whatnot are super exaggerated with her habit. I'm over the Trixie is a drunk plotline. And I hope that at least Barbara comes around to being a friend to Nurse Crane. That, "No, I'm a spinster." line kinda killed me.

• Love 1

I'm overall a little more invested this season than I was last season, but I miss Chummy. I don't miss the former lead, whose name I can't remember now. 

The kid playing Sheilagh's stepson is really nailing the role all of a sudden. I can't remember where that other baby came from though. 

• Love 2

I like this season very much - especially as they go for a bit more serialized plots. I don't mind Trixie's alcohol problems still being an issue - stuff like that does not just magically disappear and I think it was very subtly done. I'm also glad Patsy's love life is still a theme albeit a tragic one. Nice bit of counterbalancing with Fred's courtship by haberdashery. This was definitely Nurse Crane's episode and she owned it - her face when she heard the young nurses giggle after she had left the room was heartbreaking. And throughout the tinker scenes I tried to place that face - I just knew that I've seen the actress play another fierce matriarch. In the end I had to check with IMDB: Mrs S - of course! It's high time Orphan Black returns.

• Love 3

I'm fine with the Trixie story. I just think they are not showing us a problem. Trixie on the show has a drink or two after work. She's let that affect her work one time. If we're supposed to see it as a problem then I wish we would see some indications she was drinking more or in secret or having problems during the day.

I really like sister Mary Cynthia.

I love the idea that Doctor Turner likes his wife in her uniform.

• Love 3

I have to say I loved seeing Sister Mary Cynthia take charge and order the police out of the campsite. Girl has stones!

Nurse Crane continues to grow on me. My heart broke a little when the girls were laughing after she left the room. Can someone identify her accent for me please? I have the untutored ear of an American.

Why did Timothy need name tapes on all his clothing for the grammar school? The way Shelagh was carrying on, I thought he was off to boarding school or something. I understand the school wanting things like coats and hats marked but socks, really? Seems a bit overboard. Thought it was very realistic see her trying to juggle home and family all at once. But her husband's 'hello nurse' more than made up for it.

• Love 4

Aw, Minty got a date and Queen Katherine finally had a son.

I can't believe it took me 38 minutes to think of the most famous pregnancy/diabetes story of all time - Steel Magnolias.

• Love 7

Ah, faux square dancing. Well, at least as far as I knew it in the sixties. There were lessons! Graduations! Clubs! Complicated steps. My Dad was a caller and I loved me a good "Sides face, grand square." Yup, square dancing for those who don't know how, as portrayed on TV. American and British TV. Makes me laugh.

And did those nurses just whip up those clothes? I am beginning to think they all have walk in closets somewhere in Nonnatus House.

• Love 3

Pants to the ground! Pants to the ground! Lookin' like a grown-up with your pants to the ground!

(sorry, had to). I know fashion and all, but not letting boys wear full-length pants is one of those long-running old fashion rules that I simply cannot grok.

I loved pretty much everything about this episode. I really like what they're doing with Nurse Crane - it's kind of predictable, but they're playing it out very well. Sister Winnifred, however, continues to be a nonentity.

I laughed that they actually had Dr. Turner say "Helloooo, nurse!" to Shelagh.

• Love 8

I think they were Irish Travelers (not Roma), right? As I understand it, tradition was to burn a caravan as a funeral pyre if the occupant had died inside it, in order to release their spirit.

• Love 2

I think they were Irish Travelers (not Roma), right? As I understand it, tradition was to burn a caravan as a funeral pyre if the occupant had died inside it, in order to release their spirit.

It reminded me of a Viking funeral!

I didn't get the name tags in everything if he wasn't going to boarding school. What does/did "grammar school" signify in Britain. In the US, grammar school would be interchangeable with elementary school (at least where I grew up).

"I don't know where they found this old lady, but she has about two lines and yet is somehow KILLING me."

Pegeen was amazing. Apparently the actress (Rita Davies) has been working since 1938! I found her absolutely riveting -- her eyes, or something. I really liked Attracta, too. I think I'll have to rewatch the episode to see all those scenes again.

• Love 6
(edited)

Grammar school at that point in time would have been roughly equivalent to an academically oriented junior high (and later high school) for those of us in North America. There were both publicly and privately funded grammar schools.

Timothy would have had to pass an exam (the eleven plus, if I recall correctly) to gain admission to such a school, as Fred noted. It would have been the next step in his ambition to become a doctor like his father.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 4

I really liked this episode. They had a little more of the "nun stuff" than they usually do & I especially liked that little scene with SIster Julienne tucking the hair into Sister Mary Cynthia's wimple (I think that's what it's called). Just the way she looked at her, she looked so proud, it was a sweet moment.

Sister Mary Cynthia seems to be a little tougher than Cynthia was, being a nun agrees with her.

I was worried about the girl with diabetes, we don't think it's unusual for a diabetic woman to give birth nowadays, but back then it must have been terrifying.

• Love 1

It reminded me of a Viking funeral!

I didn't get the name tags in everything if he wasn't going to boarding school. What does/did "grammar school" signify in Britain. In the US, grammar school would be interchangeable with elementary school (at least where I grew up).

I believe that grammar school in England is like a private school here.

A grammar school required children aged 11 to pass an entrance test (the 11+), if they failed the 11+ they were sent to a Secondary Modern school where the focus wasn't as academic; more skills/apprenticeship based. This system remained in place until the 1960's/70's, when it was largely replaced by the Comprehensive school; these catered for all children regardless of ability, but which still used testing prior to entry to allow children to be 'streamed' into different groups/classes according to ability, this was reviewed regularly. 

Once again that also changed and today children of all abilities share the same classroom and it's the responsibility of the teacher to differentiate what work is set according to each child's ability.

Just to confuse the issue further; in the UK private schools which are fee based are referred to as 'public schools' and this is whether the children 'board' there or not. Some public schools also have a minimum entrance test each child must pass regardless of the fee and some have scholarship schemes too.

• Love 5

My aunt contracted juvenile diabetes at age 12, and wasn't expected to live to be 30.  When she married my uncle, she was told that she would never get pregnant. When she did get pregnant, (at about the time that CTM takes place) she was told that she would never carry full term . However, after a difficult and scary pregnancy, she did give birth to my cousin, and subsequently managed to live into her sixties. She was considered rather a miracle at the time, however. 

• Love 6

I really liked this episode. They had a little more of the "nun stuff" than they usually do & I especially liked that little scene with SIster Julienne tucking the hair into Sister Mary Cynthia's wimple (I think that's what it's called). Just the way she looked at her, she looked so proud, it was a sweet moment.

Sister Mary Cynthia seems to be a little tougher than Cynthia was, being a nun agrees with her.

I was worried about the girl with diabetes, we don't think it's unusual for a diabetic woman to give birth nowadays, but back then it must have been terrifying.

Sister Mary Cynthia is much more stronger now. I recall the episode in the first season, about the conductor and his former violinist, who died in childbirth and I think that the man died a couple of months later.

Cynthia was a wreck about it and went to Sister Julienne for guidance.

I think that was the beginning of Cynthia's jouney in becoming a nun.

I too, didn’t immediately think about Steel Magnolias.

I just kept thinking about how cute the young couple were, hoping that they could get through this time and finally get a proper chance to be together.

(edited)

I really liked this episode. I always get a bit misty when a baby is born, but this episode had me because of Attracta and Pegeen. Their few scenes together were magnetic. I love it when this show gives us these little moments between women - Sister Julienne tucking in the hair was such a moment.

Although I kept expecting a My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding scene.

I loved Maria Doyle Kennedy's singing voice in The Commitments, and it's great when she pops up here and there.

Things that made me laugh -

Dr. Turner's "Hello nurse!" Made me think Shelagh would get some action later that night.

Fred's square dancing shirt.

Sister Evangelina slinging the "cheese tart" down.

I'm really enjoying the addition of Nurse Crane. She's not too much of a cartoon character and she broke my heart tonight.

I am not loving Sister Whatever Cynthia. The dorky looks of understanding and whatnot are super exaggerated with her habit.

Agreed here. The acting is so one-dimensional and annoying. She creeps about with a perpetual questioning look on her face -- the raised eyebrows, the big eyes -- and has an odd plodding walk. We get it, she's unsure, shy, a wallflower, etc. etc. Let's move on.

Edited by SilverStormm
Fixed quote box formatting issue
  • Love 2

While I've always enjoyed this show for the stories this year I'm also enjoying the clothes.  Trixie and Patsy have some beautiful outfits - midwife must pay well!  In addition quite a few of the guests of the week have had lovely clothes too (like this week's young diabetic).  Which does make me wonder - I thought the East End was suppose to be quite poor but some of these guests have gorgeous clothes and their houses (the inside) look rather nice (again last night's diabetic and the previous show with the gay guy).

• Love 1

I think by 1960 you would still have the poverty we've seen, but you would also have new council houses being built, working men with decent incomes, very low unemployment, so working families were starting to have slightly more.

Also I think the sisters probably did cover some middle class areas too.

• Love 1

It bothered me the entire episode on why Mrs. Roland looked so familiar, and I've just looked her up to find she was Pearl on Lark Rise to Candleford. That's like three so far this season. Then again it was discussed in the Game of Thrones thread that there are only like 12 British actors that seem to be in everything.

Even though she had to get dangerously sick, it was nice to see Paulette finally get why she couldn't go through with her pregnancy, unlike Shelby.

The scene where Nurse Crane told the other nurses about going to a square dance with her cousin was cut.

• Love 3

Huge shout out to Al Lowe and her nod to one of my all-time all-time favorite horrible records, Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves." I loved that song so much I used to wear the 45 as a hat when I went clubbing. Ironically, of course. Otherwise I'd look naïve! It's even on rota on the old mp3 player.

I too thought it was a shame to burn Pegeen's caravan. It was pretty! And cute! And useful!  And although I usually respond to a capella traditionals deployed at funerals, this one sung by the dentally-challenged fella creeped me out.

• Love 2

We used to do that when I was at school. It's basically so that when you have gym your stuff doesn't get mixed up with anyone else's.

Grammar school is equivalent I think to junior high and high school. You're there from 11-16 at least, but more than likely 18. Grammar schools tended to be posher, mostly middle classes kids with probably the odd working class kid who made it there.

It bothered me the entire episode on why Mrs. Roland looked so familiar, and I've just looked her up to find she was Pearl on Lark Rise to Candleford. That's like three so far this season. Then again it was discussed in the Game of Thrones thread that there are only like 12 British actors that seem to be in everything.

Thanks for figuring that out!  I recognized her as someone I'd seen before, but wasn't in front of my computer, so couldn't check it out. 

I thought it was ironic that some folks combined roles played by Maria Doyle Kennedy and Linda Bassett (as though they were all played by the same person). . . and here they both were in one episode.  And now Pearl!

I have made the "only 12 actors in all of England" comment many times in the past.  But for me, it's part of the fun of watching British shows and movies.  :-)

• Love 1

Queenie, Emma and Pearl! Yay!  Who will be next?

Grammar schools tended to be posher, mostly middle classes kids with probably the odd working class kid who made it there.

That was my impression, too, sort of a prep school for  "public" school with the "grammar," being mainly Latin grammar.  Poor things.

Ironically, of course. Otherwise I'd look naïve!

Ha! Yes!  I could have used that line my whole life.

(edited)

I loved this episode.I loved the theme of different callings and walks of life, and how everyone is valuable no matter what their background. The focus on Nurse Crane was great, and Linda Bassett has done a great job making this character so believable in such a short time on the show.

I also loved all the shots that emphasized the contrast between Sister Mary Cynthia's and Shelagh's opposite life directions. I especially liked the montage of the nuns singing while Sister MC, the nurse-turned-nun, is out doing her nursing work and Shelagh, the nun-turned-nurse, is singing with the nuns. They also cut directly from a close-up of Sister MC to one of Shelagh in the closing sequence. I loved the emphasis on the nuns this episode, as well, especially Sister Evangelina's speech about vows. Also, it's always good to hear the nuns singing. There hasn't been as much of that this season and I wish they'd show more of it. 

It's good to see all the emphasis on the regular characters in this show, even in the midst of the stories of the week. I liked the guest stars this week, as well, especially Attracta and Pegeen. 

This was such a poetic episode, with great use of music, filming, parallels and contrasts. After last week's episode, this was my favorite so far this season.

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 3

When Sister Mary Cynthia yelled at the police and the travelers and basically told everyone to knock it off my first thought was all she needs is a ruler and she could be a Catholic School teacher.  But I do like that she's getting more sure of herself and more outspoken.  I think the only reason the habit doesn't work for her is she's very petite but has a fairly long neck and the habit should also be a little longer to match that so it's a little nearer her shoulders (even if it means taking a little liberty with the true to life look - I don't think an extra inch or two would be out of place).

They didn't wrap up the diabetics story did they?  Phyllis said she'd speak up for the boyfriend at his hearing but was there any mention in the end if she did and if he got off or got a lighter sentence?

They didn't wrap up the diabetics story did they?

I don't think they did. I kept waiting for Vanessa to speak up and say that he got life in prison or was killed in prison or they finally got married but she died the next time she got pregnant but she never said anything. 

• Love 3
(edited)
I have made the "only 12 actors in all of England" comment many times in the past.  But for me, it's part of the fun of watching British shows and movies.  :-)

It gets even crazier when you discover how many of them are married to on another, are the offspring of well-known actors, or are siblings, cousins, etc.  Edward and James Fox are a good example.  Acting brothers, one with  actress wives, both with acting children, several of  whom have married other actors...many of them very recognizable and working a lot.

Am I imagining that this most recent season of Call the Midwife is more of a downer than in the past.  It seems as though each and every episode thus far has been filled with sad.  I thought there were some episodes in the past with a bit more humor and a few uneventful births thrown in for relief.  It seems like the happiest moments this season have been bittersweet at best.  Don't get me wrong.  I very much enjoy the show, but it seems like the only feel good is going to be Fred and Violet (hopefully!) getting together. 

Violet, by the way, is played by Annabelle Apison who played Monica Gallagher in the UK Shameless for those playing the "only 12 actors in all of England" game :)  I keep waiting for Frank to stumble by when I see her. She's also the new pharmacist on Doc Martin...

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 1
She's also the new pharmacist on Doc Martin...

Not to get off-topic but the Doc Martin thread is pretty dead, but what happened to Mrs. Tishell (sp?)?  I'm sure he's glad she's gone.

I am loving Nurse Crane more every episode. I thought her talk with Vaughn was quite touching when she revealed that she was illegitimate.  Certainly something to confess to a stranger.  She and Sr. Evangelina together are a formidable force.

Pegeen was just luminous.  Hardly a word spoken but what a presence!

• Love 4

I am loving Nurse Crane more every episode. I thought her talk with Vaughn was quite touching when she revealed that she was illegitimate.  Certainly something to confess to a stranger.  She and Sr. Evangelina together are a formidable force.

I can't wait to see them work together and stop bickering. I'm not sure they couldn't move the earth if they tried.

• Love 4

I thought Paulette looked a little like Jean Shrimpton, which was appropriate for early-1960s England.

An aunt of mine had "juvenile diabetes," as type 1 used to be known, and had several miscarriages before her doctors told her another pregnancy would threaten her life (this was in the late 1950s). There were no specialists in high-risk pregnancy at the time.

I was looking something up on IMDB recently and found that Pam Ferris was Miss Trunchbull in Matilda--I had totally forgotten that.

• Love 3
(edited)

When Nurse Crane first came on the scene I was concerned that she would be a one dimensional character but thankfully the writers/show runner have come through to make her multidimensional.  It started at least one little scene in each episode and now we get an episode that focuses our attention to her professional ability, her compassion, and poignantly with some of the unfairness of life that she didn't ask for but has dealt with utilizing her indomitable spirit.

Thank you.  I thought I heard her say that she was illegitimate but when nobody else commented on it I began to doubt my hearing/brain.

I thought Paulette looked a little like Jean Shrimpton, which was appropriate for early-1960s England.

An aunt of mine had "juvenile diabetes," as type 1 used to be known, and had several miscarriages before her doctors told her another pregnancy would threaten her life (this was in the late 1950s). There were no specialists in high-risk pregnancy at the time.

I was looking something up on IMDB recently and found that Pam Ferris was Miss Trunchbull in Matilda--I had totally forgotten that.

Jean Shrimpton -- YES YES YES that's who she reminded me of.  I knew she reminded me of a British girl I became aware of

during my Beatlemania days but I couldn't think who and I believe you nailed it.

I like this season very much - especially as they go for a bit more serialized plots. I don't mind Trixie's alcohol problems still being an issue - stuff like that does not just magically disappear and I think it was very subtly done. I'm also glad Patsy's love life is still a theme albeit a tragic one. Nice bit of counterbalancing with Fred's courtship by haberdashery. This was definitely Nurse Crane's episode and she owned it - her face when she heard the young nurses giggle after she had left the room was heartbreaking. And throughout the tinker scenes I tried to place that face - I just knew that I've seen the actress play another fierce matriarch. In the end I had to check with IMDB: Mrs S - of course! It's high time Orphan Black returns.

How may times in our lives have we witnessed, taken part in or been the brunt of that type of scene in our lives.  Watching her expressions dealing with it made me want to cry. 

Favorite line/delivery of the show was Dr. Turner's early morning greeting to his wife.  I giggled.

Overall, one of  my favorite episodes for the above and so many other memorable scenes such as Sister J adjusting Sister MC's hair with such warmth emminating from her face, Fred and his budding romance, etc.  Too many to list.

Edited to add:  My one complaint about this episode is that I wanted more of an ending for the story about the diabetic girl and her boyfriend,  They didn't actually give it a real ending that a person can sink their teeth into.   Too many unanswered questions.

Edited by Me Too

It was driving me crazy watching Violet Gee.  I knew I knew her.  Every time she was on screen she looked so familiar.  The familiarity brought up feelings of "impropriety".  Monica Gallagher!  Of course!  And the Gypsy woman was "the first Mrs. Bates" on Downton. 

I am loving Nurse Crane more every episode. I thought her talk with Vaughn was quite touching when she revealed that she was illegitimate.  Certainly something to confess to a stranger.  

Really? I missed that. So we learned that she's a spinster and illegitimate in the same episode?

Just to be clear, the word "illegitimate" was never spoken. However, when Nurse Crane and Vaughn were outside as he replaced the hubcaps, Vaughn says that he doesn't want his baby "got rid of" or be born a "you know what".  Nurse Crane replies, "You mean born outside of wedlock".  A moment later she says that she was a "you know what".

I thought this was easily the best episode of this season.  However I, too, wish we had found out what happened with Vaughn.

• Love 5