Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: A Live Show Walks Into A Bar

When a music festival comes to Detroit, Danny and Justin both try to win over a beautiful backup singer they met in the bar. As Danny tries to give Justin the chance to get the girl, he can't help but compete for her attention. Meanwhile, the gang does their best to keep Candace from going back to her old boyfriend.

Apparently, they're doing this episode live, so it could be...interesting?

Apparently, they're doing this episode live, so it could be...interesting?

How would this cast pull that off ?  If you have ever watched some of the behind the scenes/outtakes for this show, they are breaking up/laughing/giggle fits on a regular basis and constantly having to redo takes.

How would this cast pull that off ?  If you have ever watched some of the behind the scenes/outtakes for this show, they are breaking up/laughing/giggle fits on a regular basis and constantly having to redo takes.

Might be part of the reason it's going to be an hour. To allow for some time to try to recover?

• Love 1

That's what I'm thinking stacey.  And don't they do some improv on this show?  Having it be an hour gives them some time to play. 

I was listening to the Undateable guys on the Nerdist podcast (minus Chris so if he annoys you but you like the rest of the cast, this was a fun time) and they said they're going to do it live for both coasts.  I hope NBC puts up both versions so we can watch the differences.

Loved when Chris broke the fourth wall with the getting fatter since they started shooting joke. Also the dog bark. God every episode needs to be live if they can iron out some of the wrinkles.

• Love 1

That was funny and shows how much better this show can be. Even D'Elia was tolerable -- how he managed to pull off that eyebrow bit without screwing it up was impressive.  Didn't even mind the dominant gorilla bit.  The cast members did break up frequently, especially Leslie, but covered it up well.  There were so many flubs and missed lines, I'm not sure how they contained themselves.

Loved when Chris broke the fourth wall with the getting fatter since they started shooting joke.

The look on Brent Morin's face when he did that was priceless.

The running Ed Sheeran-slap Justin bit was fun physical stuff, but the live chest waxing -- I didn't think they would actually do it.  I wonder if they are going to do that live on the West coast show as well.

Shelly had some great lines like: 

Leslie: Have you ever heard a vagina cry ?

Shelly: I've heard one whistle.

I recognized most of the cameos, but who was the woman with Minnie Driver (that went by Ally) ?

Can't be said enough -- Candace is adorable, and she can sing too.

The running Ed Sheeran-slap Justin bit was fun physical stuff, but the live chest waxing -- I didn't think they would actually do it.  I wonder if they are going to do that live on the West coast show as well.

I was wondering if they might change it up for the West Coast and actually wax Danny's chest. 

I recognized most of the cameos, but who was the woman with Minnie Driver (that went by Ally) ?

It was Christa Miller.  She was recently on Cougar Town, played Dr. Cox's wife on Scrubs (where a lot of cameos came from because it was produced by Bill Lawrence who is also her husband) and was on the Drew Carey show. 

Kate Walsh was supposed to appear.  She talked about it on Twitter and from what it sounds like, she was supposed to be the Minnie Driver character.  I wonder what happened. 

Sometimes the live shows can feel heavy or unnaturally slow but this one had some great energy.  I think it was clever to have the guitar player in back.  There were flubs but that's life.  It happens.  I think my favorite was when Scott Foley called Justin Danny.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kate Walsh was on the West Coast version. We didn't get Minnie Driver. And yes, they did wax him again. I could see on his chest where they waxed him for the East Coast. I hope NBC posts both versions, too, because there were some differences. Like:

Leslie: Have you ever heard a vagina cry ?

Shelly: I've heard one whistle

Shelly said something like, I've seen one stand up and applaud.

I liked that the bar seemed like a lively, fun place to be, rather than the sad, deserted place it often feels like.

Edited by LADreamr

I could have done without all the cameos, but yes, good energy in this episode.  Everybody was loose.  They even moved the camera some and the bar actually looked 3-dimensional, rather than like a 2-dimensional backdrop. 

(edited)

They also really played up the fat joke on the West Coast. When Ed Sheeran was kicked off for the "one song max" at the start of the episode, he turned to Danny and said "Wasn't this guy thinner at the start of the night?" The cast started cracking up and the whole rest of the episode they kept saying "Chubby" instead of "Justin". But Justin got the winner in the "You look like Wolverine's tired older brother" bit by ending it with "you look like the creepy old guy from 'Whitney'," forcing Danny to say "I never saw that show."

The bit with Scott Foley was also very different on the West Coast.

Edited by Charlesman
(edited)

That was a lot of fun. These guys should definitely do more live eps, this cast can pull it off. And agreed that Bridgit Mendler is so cutes. As is her excitement on her Twitter feed.

Best exchange (at least on the West Coast).... Victoria Justice: "You guys really have some strange fights". Shelly: "Now you know how this show works."

Edited by Prairie Fire

That joke was in the East Coast version too.

Man, it sounds like the West Coast got some good stuff.  I figured the cast might be looser the second time out. 

I forgot to mention that although the amount of cameos felt a bit out of control, they were all used pretty well and they gave a good reason for there to be big name stars as well as out of towners dropping in.

(edited)

The West Coast version is worth its own watch! For the Scott Foley bit alone.

I thought Victoria Justice did a pretty good job... except maybe not so great at singing harmony.

Edited by raspberry7
(edited)
The West Coast version is worth its own watch! For the Scott Foley bit alone.

Danny: "I feel like this wasn't in the script"

The bit with Scott Foley went on much longer on the West Coast show.

I like how they changed the opening and closing music -- Ed Sheeran opened both shows with different songs, while the East Coast closing song was an original song written and sung by Bridgit Mendler (who plays Candace) and accompanied by Victoria Justice and the West Coast Closing song was Ed Sheeran playing Britney Spears' Hit Me Baby One More Time, backed up by Bridget and Victoria Justice.

I liked that the bar seemed like a lively, fun place to be, rather than the sad, deserted place it often feels like.

That added a lot to these live shows.

These two live shows really showed off the potential of Undateable to be a much better show on a weekly basis.  More Funches always helps as well --  that story he told the customer about his day was really funny.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

That was delightful. I saw tons of people on Twitter last night saying they've never seen the show before but will watch from now on. Too bad the finale's next week.

I thought this was one of the better live shows that sitcoms have done, usually they are a letdown but I really enjoyed this.  They should definitely do it again if it is picked up for another season.

Has there ever been a sitcom aired live for an entire season?

More Funches always helps as well -- that story he told the customer about his day was really funny.

That was great. "It started like any other... I smoked some weed..."

That was great. "It started like any other... I smoked some weed..."

"Fed the cat. Freaked out because I don't own a cat. Realized I just let a crazy raccoon into my house. And I needed to get the hell out of there."

Has there ever been a sitcom aired live for an entire season?

Excepting the olden days of the DuPont network and the like, the most recent I believe was Charles S. Dutton's "Roc" on FOX.

• Love 1

That episode gave a much-needed burst of energy to the show. Everyone became more likeable and I bought, to a degree, their affection for each other. I started out sort of appalled hate-watching the show but it's grown on me. I hope they renew it and the cast and writers find firmer footing in the next season, if there is one. It could be everything Weird Loners isn't, considering the characters are actually weird loners who turn to each other for support. 

(edited)

Also hilarious: Shelly (or perhaps more accurately, Ron Funches) enthusiastically singing along to "Thinking Out Loud" in the east coast version.

Anyone notice that pretty much all the "breaking the 4th wall" stuff was done by Chris D'Elia? Seems like every "applause" line came from him. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just a different way to approach the live show challenge.

Also, there's a video for the song Bridgit Mendler did to close the east coast show. Featuring the whole gang being all undateable and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBRiY5e2xDw

Edited by Prairie Fire
(edited)

Funches broke the fourth wall at least once.

30 Rock did a live episode once or twice.  Undateable did it better.

Edited by Roaster
  • Love 1
Well, NBC did the honorable thing and put up both live versions on their website.

I'm so glad they did, because from the descriptions here, it sounded awesome. I think I liked it better than the East Coast version; the cast certainly seemed looser the second time around. I actually switched back and forth to watch the East Coast version on my DVR and the West Coast version on NBC.com. 

I liked this show when I caught it last season on demand, but this episode cemented my love for it. The cast has such great chemistry together; they look like they enjoy working with each other.

Candace, no one would blame you for backsliding with Trent. Damn, that boy is built! (Or as Persky says in the West Coast version: "Nice rack.") I liked the West Coast version when he rips open his shirt off: "Oops, my shirt fell off." Also his meta "hashtag poetic justice," when he hooks up with Victoria's character at the end (because, Victoria Justice). I have to say, though, that Danny really was too old for her. Her "You're not his dad?" joke was great.

And Danny, if you're going to blow TV's Scott Foley, you need to be facing him when you arch your back, so you can look in his eyes as he says, "Atta, boy." 

I liked Minnie Driver's cameo better than Kate Walsh's; Kate seemed out of it. Surprisingly, Zach Braff didn't annoy me, but Donald Faison seemed subdued. 

Brett had two different things on the chalkboard for the cheesy music intro -- one was "George Clooney said no," and the other had to do with being depressed, I think.

I normally don't like the pre-ordained hook-ups, but I would be happy to see Justin and Candace start dating. I think both characters are very likable and similar. 

Were most of the cameos "Scrubs" alumni? I think everyone except Ed Sheeran, Minnie Drive, and Kate Walsh have worked with (or are married to) Bill Lawrence.

Brett had two different things on the chalkboard for the cheesy music intro -- one was "George Clooney said no," and the other had to do with being depressed, I think.

The East Coast version said "Help ! I'm extremely depressed"

I'm a little surprised that a lot is made of the age difference between Danny and Justin. Chris D'Elia is only 6 years older than Brent Morin, and due to Danny's caveman-slacker appearance and Justin's more buttoned-down look, the characters look to me to be the same age.

Were most of the cameos "Scrubs" alumni? I think everyone except Ed Sheeran, Minnie Drive, and Kate Walsh have worked with (or are married to) Bill Lawrence.

Yes.  Although I bet the Kate Walsh connection was with Christa since she and Kate worked together on the Drew Carey show.  I get the impression that they're still friendly/friends based on some things said on Twitter.

"You look like that ugly guy on Whitney!" Hilarious!

That was only on the West Coast version.

Glad I actually (eventually) watched both. They changed a decent amount of jokes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope NBC posts both versions, too, because there were some differences.

One I just noticed was Morin, after D'Elia's long note, exclaims (only on the West Coast version) "Your eyes are bloodshot!"

I also liked in the next scene, upstairs with Candace's slacker-ex-boyfriend Trent, they went MUCH further with the flexing jokes in the West Coast version. All the shenanigans happening in the background with the other guy weren't in the East Coast version at all.

What else did I notice different? Hmm. The British Guy's "Like An American" impression was a bit different the second time. Dr. Drew's walkout line was totally different too. The Vagina joke mentioned before, of course. Bring It On got brought back as a joke a second time on the West Coast version but not the East. D'Elia's "thinking music" bit was longer on the West Coast version. The Scot Foley Slave bit with D'Elia was about three times longer on the West version. The number of Ed Sheeren-caused head slaps to Morin though we're much cut down on the West vs. the East (where that joke was milked a lot more), but the payout with Sheeren kissing Morin was far tamer on the East Coast version (where I think he just hugged him). We get different songs from Sheeren on each broadcast, but also 2 songs from Sheeren on the West Coast (vs. getting Victoria Justice at the end with Candace instead of Sheeren). Plus a hundred other minor timing things.

Kate Walsh was on the West Coast version. We didn't get Minnie Driver.

Frankly, Minnie Driver was much better in her version than Walsh was in hers (which is odd, because Walsh normally can be pretty funny when she wants to be).

I'm a little surprised that a lot is made of the age difference between Danny and Justin. Chris D'Elia is only 6 years older than Brent Morin, and due to Danny's caveman-slacker appearance and Justin's more buttoned-down look, the characters look to me to be the same age.

Oh not to me.

The buttoned down look CAN look old on many people, but Morin's a bit of a babyface. So he dresses old, but the babyface takes him back down to looking what he actually is (late 20s).

D'Elia just looks chewed up and ruined. Apparently he's 35, but the guy could be mistaken for a decade older than that easily. He is indeed "that ugly guy on Whitney".

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I LOVED the live show and I am super glad they are going to be doing an entire season of it. The cast's energy really lends itself to this type of environment because they have an unbottleable chemistry together. The ad-libbing is great. I hope that they end up doing more East and West coast versions because I found the variations extremely entertaining, especially when they did the call backs. I could take or leave the celebrity cameos, though.

(And I liked the hint of romance between Justin and Candace, though I hope they don't do anything with that anytime soon.)

I LOVED the live show and I am super glad they are going to be doing an entire season of it. The cast's energy really lends itself to this type of environment because they have an unbottleable chemistry together. The ad-libbing is great. I hope that they end up doing more East and West coast versions because I found the variations extremely entertaining, especially when they did the call backs. I could take or leave the celebrity cameos, though.

(And I liked the hint of romance between Justin and Candace, though I hope they don't do anything with that anytime soon.)

That was more than a hint. I enjoyed the live episode, but I still find the show frustrating overall. The characters feel underdeveloped and I think Justin and glasses guy are weak links in the cast. The live element let the cast have more fun and distracts from the fact that none of these characters are wondering aimlessly. I may not care for a Justin/Candace relationship, but at least it would give Justin something to do.

Can someone please explain to me why the bar is still called Black Eyes? I could have sworn they changed the name in one episode to an homage to Justin. Did the show forget or did they explain that at some point?

• Love 1

I LOVED the live show and I am super glad they are going to be doing an entire season of it.

I don't think it's confirmed that they are. Just that it's an idea being floated around.

I will say, that because the show is very unfocused (the show doesn't really have a central theme more specific than "the trials and tribulations of a group of friends who hang out in a bar"), it winds up all being about the execution. Was sucked in Season 1. Has been better overall in Season 2, and was at its best in the live episode. So more live WOULD be good, but who knows how much more it might cost, or what ratings it might bring?

That was more than a hint. I enjoyed the live episode, but I still find the show frustrating overall. The characters feel underdeveloped and I think Justin and glasses guy are weak links in the cast. The live element let the cast have more fun and distracts from the fact that none of these characters are wondering aimlessly. I may not care for a Justin/Candace relationship, but at least it would give Justin something to do.

Justin is like half a character. Honestly, at times he seems indistinguishable from the lead who was on Ground Floor, except that guy was like the career-minded ambitious version. It's like Bill Lawrence was stuck in some kind of casting loop, where all he wanted to cast was medium height, brown haired, good looking but not TOO good looking, show-tune singing metrosexual but otherwise bland leads.  Last year Justin's "thing" was that he was in love with the unattainable hot girl.  This season he doesn't even have that.  The show HAS been better this season, but Justin really needs an actual plot.  Candice now being hung up on him is, I guess, the show attempting to reverse the dynamic from last season... except... lets face it.  Even if she's not as conventionally sexy as Briga Heelan, Bridgit Mendler is still way up the curve in terms of how good looking she is.  I don't know how long the show could get away with the idea that if she's into Justin that she couldn't have him.  So no doubt they're going to throw a girlfriend into the mix for Justin soon (to get in the way of a Justin/Candace relationship) .  I'm calling it now.  

Glasses Guy is so blah I can never even remember the actual character name.  The live show (the West coast feed in particular) was about the first time he actually had memorable jokes/things to do, and a lot of that was improvised by him (like the silly stuff he did with Candace's ex-boyfriend).  He needs an actual PLOTLINE.  Like ever.

D'Elia sucked less on the live show than usual, but really he needs about 50% of the screen time he gets normally.  Take it from him and give it to Glasses Guy and Funches.

• Love 2

I don't think it's confirmed that they are. Just that it's an idea being floated around.

I think it's confirmed as of this weekend as part of NBC's pick ups for next season.

Justin is like half a character. Honestly, at times he seems indistinguishable from the lead who was on Ground Floor, except that guy was like the career-minded ambitious version. It's like Bill Lawrence was stuck in some kind of casting loop, where all he wanted to cast was medium height, brown haired, good looking but not TOO good looking, show-tune singing metrosexual but otherwise bland leads.  Last year Justin's "thing" was that he was in love with the unattainable hot girl.  This season he doesn't even have that.  The show HAS been better this season, but Justin really needs an actual plot.  Candice now being hung up on him is, I guess, the show attempting to reverse the dynamic from last season... except... lets face it.  Even if she's not as conventionally sexy as Briga Heelan, Bridgit Mendler is still way up the curve in terms of how good looking she is.  I don't know how long the show could get away with the idea that if she's into Justin that she couldn't have him.  So no doubt they're going to throw a girlfriend into the mix for Justin soon (to get in the way of a Justin/Candace relationship) .  I'm calling it now.  

Glasses Guy is so blah I can never even remember the actual character name.  The live show (the West coast feed in particular) was about the first time he actually had memorable jokes/things to do, and a lot of that was improvised by him (like the silly stuff he did with Candace's ex-boyfriend).  He needs an actual PLOTLINE.  Like ever.

D'Elia sucked less on the live show than usual, but really he needs about 50% of the screen time he gets normally.  Take it from him and give it to Glasses Guy and Funches.

Justin feels like a low rent version of the Ground Floor Guy. He's a competent actor, but I don't think he handles lead well. He's lacking in some sort of charisma, or likability. I can't quite put my finger on it.

My complaint about Justin actually applies to pretty much all of them except Lesley. None of them have story lines. No career goals, no outside relationships, no families (aside from the Danny/Les in group connection). It's not so much that the characters are losers so much as we don't know anything about them besides from the fact that they sit around a bar. I know Cheers was filled with bar flies, but those characters did still have arcs. If this show really wants to be about guys sitting around the bar, it needs to make the dialogue so much snappier. We could also learn a lot more about the different dynamics in the group. 

I could see Candice liking Justin because of her young age. She seems much younger and he's at least successful enough to own a business. That could carry some allure. 

I actually like Chris as Danny. He's probably the highlight for me, and I went in expecting that to be Funches.

Funches is spectacular IMO, but again he lacks actual plotlines.  Almost every excuse for screentime he has relates to him being an accessory/part of the Greek Chorus surrounding Danny & Justin's storylines--and as we said before even Justin, as much as he's close to a lead, doesn't even have storylines.  The show somehow has either a D'Elia plot, or some general "jokey" plotline that's less about actual plotarcs for a character and more about specific (jokey) situations they get into for one episode.

We get the occasional "brought an old person to the bar" thing with Funches, and we got the one sort-of plot with the girlfriend who only wanted him for sex, but that's about it.  He needs actual conflict, and then resolution.  Frankly the old people home thing is limiting. Rather than him jokingly working at the bar in a contest with British guy, the show should have seriously just had him change jobs and actually work at the bar. Or something.

Glasses guy needs any damn thing at all--he doesn't even have the little Funches does.  Justin needs something external maybe.  Perhaps the bar being in legal or financial trouble over a season. Something to take him out of the same endless "I'm going to act a little angsty this episode, sing a stupid show tune, and argue with Danny about how scummy something he did is" approach.

My complaint about Justin actually applies to pretty much all of them except Lesley. None of them have story lines. No career goals, no outside relationships, no families (aside from the Danny/Les in group connection). It's not so much that the characters are losers so much as we don't know anything about them besides from the fact that they sit around a bar. I know Cheers was filled with bar flies, but those characters did still have arcs. If this show really wants to be about guys sitting around the bar, it needs to make the dialogue so much snappier. We could also learn a lot more about the different dynamics in the group.

The show really should look to Cheers as a model.

Another idea: they should let Detroit be part of the show more. Shoot a few scenes on location like "Always Sunny" does in Philadelphia. Have scenes take place somewhere else besides the bar and the apartment. Have them go to a Tigers or Red Wings game. Make some nods to the locale, not the usual "you'll get stabbed" cheap shots but more of a shout out to the city's underdog indie vibe. It's an unconventional setting for a sitcom: they should milk it.

It's funny that the "Glasses Guy" actor's name is actually....Rick Glassman.

• Love 1
(edited)

The show really should look to Cheers as a model.

That's a perfect comparison and maybe why I like it so much. I'm so tired of sitcoms having these overarching plots that eventually bog down all the characters (see: How I Met Your Mother). It's a pretty refreshing change, it's kind of like going somewhere to hang out for an hour with bar regulars...where everybody knows your name :)

It got confirmed this week (yay!): http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/08/undateable-go-live-all-next-season

Edited by niklj

I know the current trend is shows having big, overarching plots. See any episode thread for any show on this forum for complaints about "filler episodes" and "didn't advance the plot." But I actually like the idea of a self contained show where the world outside the bar doesn't really matter much and there's no big plot to worry about. Not sure that Undateable is the show to pull that off, but it's close enough. There can still be continuity within the show and character development, but I'm fine without them growing up and changing and worrying about real life problems like babies.

Ground Floor was a better show and I'm still annoyed that it got canceled. 

They really need to dump Glasses Guy. He's creepy and annoying with absolutely zero redeeming qualities that we've seen. Nothing against the actor - I liked him at times during the live episode. But his character is an un-funny, unlikable The Todd from Scrubs except he's always around instead of making brief appearances.

This show will probably never be more than a second rate sitcom, but doing it live gives them a chance to set themselves apart. Really looking forward to it. 

I know the current trend is shows having big, overarching plots. See any episode thread for any show on this forum for complaints about "filler episodes" and "didn't advance the plot." But I actually like the idea of a self contained show where the world outside the bar doesn't really matter much and there's no big plot to worry about. Not sure that Undateable is the show to pull that off, but it's close enough. There can still be continuity within the show and character development, but I'm fine without them growing up and changing and worrying about real life problems like babies.

They definitely shouldn't make the plots too "heavy" - and maybe that's one area where they shouldn't copy Cheers, which went further in that direction. But more stuff like Shelly and Glasses Guy Visit the Tailor, stuff that gives the supporting cast something to do besides just responding to Danny and Justin's weird power struggle of the week (as mentioned upthread) - which will get old eventually.

As long as these plots don't change Shelly, Glasses Guy, British Guy, and Candace from hapless unattached barflies into serious people considering marriages, babies, mortgages, and investment banking careers, it'll work.

Although it's interesting that Leslie is the one character who has real adult stuff going on (past marriage, a serious career, etc.) and still blends nicely into the show's screwball slacker vibe.

• Love 2
(edited)
I know the current trend is shows having big, overarching plots. See any episode thread for any show on this forum for complaints about "filler episodes" and "didn't advance the plot." But I actually like the idea of a self contained show where the world outside the bar doesn't really matter much and there's no big plot to worry about.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with self-contained episodes that entertain for 20 or so minutes and move on. Isn't that the way sitcoms used to be? Somewhere along the way, they started adding "very special episodes" and long, drawn-out plots. And even with overarching plots, viewers end up being disappointed. Look at "How I Met Your Mother" -- people ended up feeling that they wasted years of their lives watching that show, because the ending was such a disaster (at least in my opinion, plus, it wasn't as good or ground-breaking as everyone said it was).

I've been watching this show because I love the interplay and genuine affection the actors have with each other, and I love seeing them crack up in the background at the antics of other characters.

Brett Morin also guest starred on "Ground Floor," and he was Tyler Ritter's boyfriend on "The McCarthys" for an episode. 

Although it's interesting that Leslie is the one character who has real adult stuff going on (past marriage, a serious career, etc.) and still blends nicely into the show's screwball slacker vibe.

She is a divorcee with issues (always attracted to bad boys), and she can down three bottles of wine and go to sleep, so she's not entirely put-together. She's the straight woman to the others' wackiness. Even Justin, as straitlaced as he is, is still wacky in his own way.

Edited by SmithW6079

They definitely shouldn't make the plots too "heavy" - and maybe that's one area where they shouldn't copy Cheers, which went further in that direction. But more stuff like Shelly and Glasses Guy Visit the Tailor, stuff that gives the supporting cast something to do besides just responding to Danny and Justin's weird power struggle of the week (as mentioned upthread) - which will get old eventually.

As long as these plots don't change Shelly, Glasses Guy, British Guy, and Candace from hapless unattached barflies into serious people considering marriages, babies, mortgages, and investment banking careers, it'll work.

And yet isn't it telling that NONE of us actually care about the real character names of two of the main cast members (Glasses Guy and British Guy)?

Remove the two of them from the cast and we'd barely notice.

D'Elia just looks chewed up and ruined. Apparently he's 35, but the guy could be mistaken for a decade older than that easily. He is indeed "that ugly guy on Whitney".

I apologize in advance for what I'm about to do here. Seriously, please forgive me. I can't believe I'm about to make this particular Beethoven vs. Bieber juxtaposition, but here goes, because there are times when I just can't NOT see it...

george-carlin-snl-host.jpg

Appearance only, of course. I mean, obviously.

Although I do have to admit that I did enjoy D'Elia's standup special Incorrigible (available on Netflix) a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. It was quite the pleasant surprise. I watched it with a friend, and there were numerous instances of one of us pointing at the screen and shouting "CARLIN FACE!" I assume it's an intentional homage, or at least I hope so.

And yet isn't it telling that NONE of us actually care about the real character names of two of the main cast members (Glasses Guy and British Guy)?

Remove the two of them from the cast and we'd barely notice.

Aww, I hope they don't get dropped. They just need to have their characters polished up a bit. On these ensemble shows, it's always possible even a minor player plays a key role in the group's chemistry, which is arguably the most important thing here.

One other thing I hope to see - could one of the cast members host SNL? After all, they'd be up to that challenge after a few more live episodes of their own show, if they're not already. The likely choice would be D'Elia or Morin (who would nail the opening musical monologue), but I'd rather see Ron Funches do it. Or Bridgit Mendler, who would certainly bring a Justin Timberlake-esque enthusiasm to the table, not to mention being able to double as host and musical guest.

• Love 1

One other thing I hope to see - could one of the cast members host SNL? After all, they'd be up to that challenge after a few more live episodes of their own show, if they're not already. The likely choice would be D'Elia or Morin (who would nail the opening musical monologue), but I'd rather see Ron Funches do it. Or Bridgit Mendler, who would certainly bring a Justin Timberlake-esque enthusiasm to the table, not to mention being able to double as host and musical guest.

None of these people are very well known.  SNL doesn't give hosting gigs to anyone low profile anymore.

I like this cast--the whole cast.  (In fact, the reason I started watching was because I caught Brent Morin singing on it.  I share Bill Lawrence's suckerness for showtunes too. )

I do agree that many of the characters are underdrawn but that may be where the live factor may help it.  They can focus more on random entertainment over long term story arcs.   If Shelly tells a random story every ep, that's all I need. 

As for Burski (glasses guy), I do think the comedian is funny and does some good improv.  What they need to do is stop having him be a creep where he tricks Leslie into kissing him or something like that.  It brings the story down to have all of these characters hang out with a creeper like this.

• Love 1