Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E22: She's Leaving Home

• Start Topic

Well, invite those people on the show for a guest spot then and pay due tribute to the character who in the duo with Mer brought fans and ratings for 11 seasons long.

But Rhimes could care less.

This and last episode that is such a f.... y..... from Rhimes to MerDer fans, unbelievable.

I'm pretty sure getting those people there is a lot easier said than done. Especially on short notice.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretty sure getting those people there is a lot easier said than done. Especially on short notice.

Yes, on a short notice because Rhimes had a tantrum and wrote Derek off in a second. Just like that.  Off with his head! 

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, the second hour was very poignant. The first felt like a lot of filler -- too much of everyone else and not enough Meredith. I actually feel like, taken separately, these episodes could have been very effective. A one-week event where Meredith packs up, leaves and the only time we see her is her telling Alex to stop calling. It would emphasize the time shift more if it could've been spread out over two weeks, so that when Meredith returns home, it's been at least two weeks since Derek's death (for the audience), not one. Also wish the show had not aired for a week -- that would've helped, too.

I would've shifted the burn victims to the first hour and made them the main focus, so the second hour could be more Meredith, flashbacks, people tearing up. Other than Meredith's return to the hospital, the most poignant moments, to me, were Callie unexpectedly crying after Dan walked and Bailey's simple touch of Meredith's shoulder when she returned. Amelia's scene was effective as well -- but Owen's zen response made it too maudlin for me. I know everyone hates monologues, but Amelia screaming to the heavens and breaking down would've worked more than "We're supposed to feel pain. It's part of being alive." Deep Thoughts, by Owen Hunt (and a Snapple bottle cap).

I utterly fail to understand why Derek's death and not the death of her baby made April up and leave. I also fail to understand why Derek's death made Owen up and leave. That seemed like a stupid excuse to denote the passing of time. Come to think of it, I would've shifted the focus of the first episode to the burn victims and April/Owen leaving and returning. April's return plus Anne (the burn victim) helping another victim through the pain would've ended that ep on a nice note.

And while constantly equating Ellis' situation to Meredith's rang a tad hollow for me (though it's a treat to watch Kate Burton perform even in a terrible wig), I liked that Meredith named the baby Ellis. I like to think that naming her child after her mother will allow Meredith to finally put her mother to rest, and give that name a more positive association. I'm also glad Meredith returned home. I feared that was the last we'd seen of the dream house.

One thing this episode solidified is Derek and Meredith spent a lot more time being extraordinary together rather than ordinary apart. For that reason alone, I can't see their relationship as a waste of time. They had three kids together, and suffered through countless traumas by each other's side. They were a huge part of each other's lives. I hated how their relationship ended, but I do think I'll be able to watch reruns, knowing the ending. This wasn't 10 years of will they/won't they and 18 months of marriage (cough, Downton Abbey). This was a solid relationship for many years.

If Meredith continues to wear the ferry boat scrub cap, I'll be happy (well..."happy"). If every so often, she said "It's a beautiful day to save lives," I wouldn't complain either.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1

I utterly fail to understand why Derek's death and not the death of her baby made April up and leave.

I could see it if she was kind teetering on the edge of OK, so to speak, and then this happened and pushed her over. I still think she and Jackson need to do lots and lots of talking to each other, and probably to a therapist, since what they went through is not only among the worst personal tragedies available, but it tends to really screw with a relationship too. And while perhaps running off to become an army doctor for a year might help someone with the former issue, I can't imagine it would do much for the latter.

• Love 1
I utterly fail to understand why Derek's death and not the death of her baby made April up and leave.

In addition to what kingshearte said, the show tends to show more of a delayed response to grief, rather than immediate. Everyone's reactions towards every character's death has been somewhat delayed. So April fits into the delayed response as the rest do. 

• Love 1

Only recently got around to watching this episode. Amelia Sheperd to me is the worst character ever to appear on this show and Caterina Scorsone makes an already incredibly unlikeable character worse by playing her with such smugness. I cannot stand her.

• Love 2

I just watched this for the first time yesterday. I really feel for Amelia, and I don't want to return to drugs, I hope it doesn't happen. Hunt seems good for her, I mostly like him and I think they might be a good couple.

• Love 1