Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20: I'd Leave My Happy Home For You

As Alaric and Jo reluctantly participate in their bachelor and bachelorette parties, Damon and Elena discuss the ramifications from an impulsive offer that Damon makes. Unsure of what to do, Elena turns to Bonnie and Jo for advice, but is left conflicted when Bonnie raises some unanticipated concerns. When Enzo realizes Lily is on a dangerous downward spiral, he asks Stefan to help intervene before it’s too late. Lastly, fed up with the supernatural threats that plague their town, Matt takes his frustrations out on Tyler, while Alaric considers a life-changing piece of advice.

Yes, Damon called Bonnie to talk.  Bonnie is a good friend even if Damon doesn't deserve her.

They should just kill Lily. 

How long are they going to drag out the Elena wants to be human, Damon loves being a vampire SL?

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm getting really sick of not seeing Bonnie in previews. 

But with that said, this episode happened. I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. I wondered for about 10 minutes WHY these adults only have friends that are about 18 years younger than them. 

So Elena took the cure...umm...ok. It was interesting to see all of the flashbacks and stuff between her and Damon, but I really hate how they have basically erased Stelena from the existence of this show. I think that is a major reason why I could never support Delena and I am over the moon that it 

will be over in 2 episodes for better or for worse.

Bonnie was a BAMF until she got stabbed in the throat and Jo spent 20 minutes talking about Kai and such. I only hope that I see more of that later on in the next two episodes because with all the interviews, Kat really hyped it up and I was underwhelmed. Also, why did Damon and Bonnie have all of this interaction OFFSCREEN?

Lily...well she's a formidable opponent, but she can die in the season finale. 

Matt? Why won't HE leave town?

As long as Matt Davis plays Alaric, I won't care a thing about his character or what happens to anyone attached to his character. 

oh and caroline's back the next episode...oh yea. 

Edited by venusnv80
  • Love 2
(edited)

I liked this one!   There were parts I thought were kinda stupid - Jo blathering at Bonnie for how long before finally taking her to the hospital - but I still liked it over all.

I'm not sad Elena is leaving.  She can't be gone fast enough for me, but what's going on with Alaric?  I don't want Alaric to go anywhere!!  If Matt doesn't like Mystic Falls then he can leave (no, please don't leave Matty) but don't chase Alaric away!!

Dalaric and Denzo and Defan equals awesome to me.  It could only have been better with a little Bamon thrown in! 

IMO, there's no chance in hell Damon is taking the cure so the question, in my mind, is who will?  I thought Lily but if she and her witchpire friends are going to be next season's big bads, then I'm not sure who'll get it. 

I've really been enjoying this season and I'm really looking forward to next season without Elena.

Edited by 2Old2BAFangirl

Matt's drunk advice was great advice, however why doesn't he take it? What's he staying in town for? 

Enzo and Damon finally shared a scene, about time.

Jo's bachelorette was really pathetic. Basically she has no friends at all of her own ever in her entire life. Her only 2 people are Alaric's surrogate daughter and her BFF? 

Damon and Stefan know how to throw a party.

Elena becoming human seemed so rushed compared to the season long trek to get that cure and is everyone forgetting what happened to Katherine?

Points for Bonnie for pointing out Elena probably wouldn't feel the same about Damon after she's human again.

• Love 3

I have vast quantities of I don't care for Lily. Vampire Diaries villains work best when they have a sense of humor, some snark, or panache. Lily is single-minded and boring. She's not really conflicted about abandoning her children and her lack of love for them. I don't care if Stefan ever reforms her.

• Love 4

How long are they going to drag out the Elena wants to be human, Damon loves being a vampire SL?

Oh, oh, oh!  I know the answer to this one!!!!  Only two more episodes!  I'm guessing this human thing doesn't work out so well for Elena since she'll be gone.

Also, how come no one on the show has mentioned the fact that Katherina aged to death after taking the cure?  

Also, how come no one on the show has mentioned the fact that Katherina aged to death after taking the cure?

Katherine only started aging after Silas drank the cure from her body.  If that hadn't happened then, presumably, she'd have lived a normal human lifespan (not including getting killed) rather than an accelerated one.

• Love 1

Katherine only started aging after Silas drank the cure from her body.  If that hadn't happened then, presumably, she'd have lived a normal human lifespan (not including getting killed) rather than an accelerated one.

So has the assumption been that this rapid aging only occurs when Silas drinks the cure from someone's body therefore there is no concern about Elena rapidly aging when Damon drinks from her body?  Or maybe they just really forgot and this will be how Elena is killed off the show.  

• Love 1

So has the assumption been that this rapid aging only occurs when Silas drinks the cure from someone's body therefore there is no concern about Elena rapidly aging when Damon drinks from her body?  Or maybe they just really forgot and this will be how Elena is killed off the show.  

I thought Katherine aged because she was technically old, did I hallucinate that? I've been wondering about Damon turning human & how he would age, but if I've got it all wrong, I guess I can stop wondering.

Lily is Klaus with a vagina, I don't like or care about her either

So, Elena is human again. Who's going to kill her?

It is my understanding that you'll rapidly age to your natural age. So Katherine aged to 500(?) years which caused her to die. But Elena would only age a few years and would still be in her early twenties.

• Love 6

It is my understanding that you'll rapidly age to your natural age. So Katherine aged to 500(?) years which caused her to die. But Elena would only age a few years and would still be in her early twenties.

Yep, that's what I thought.

But with that said, this episode happened.

So Elena took the cure...umm...ok. It was interesting to see all of the flashbacks and stuff between her and Damon, but I really hate how they have basically erased Stelena from the existence of this show.

Don't get me wrong as a former semi-Stelena shipper, I totally agree with you however at this point I want Elena as far away from either Salvatore as possible. That first date flash back though felt like a huge rip off of when Stefan goes to Elena ' s house in S1 and actually makes her the Eggplant parmigiana himself. I realise I'm completely biased but I rolled my eyes and thought "duh Damon, you could have just asked your bro what Elena ' s favourite meal is; I'm sure he'd have given you the recipe if you asked!".

I did love human!Elena ' s agency in stabbing Lily in the eye. And Bonnie giving her the old brain aneurysm. For a split second, it felt like old tvd.

Can anyone explain why pregnancy seems to suddenly be a taboo for vampires? I can't imagine a ripper stopping just because someone is pregnant. Also when Damon refers to May 1994 as his personal hell, it seemed to be because he killed Zach 's wife who was pregnant.

Jo having twins, what a non surprise! But if it means Kai coming back, I'm good with that :)

• Love 1
(edited)

I do not know a single professor who grades papers while sitting in a lecture hall late at night. They either go to their offices while they are on campus (during the day) or they take the papers home with them at night.

How hilarious/sad is it that Alaric's bachelor party was a house full of people (most of whom we have never seen before) but Jo's bachelorette party was only Elena and Bonnie? She seriously has no friends at the hospital? Grey's Anatomy, ER, and every other show that takes place in a hospital have led me to believe otherwise. I was kind of hoping that a bunch of the people at the bachelor party would turn out to be Alaric's former students from high school.

I totally cracked up when Elena said, "Damon called you?" Yay, I'm glad that Damon and Bonnie are friends again!

Damn, is it still 2012? I thought the reason that  Bonnie, Damon, and Kai were trapped in 1994 was because it was 20 years ago so I thought we had somehow gotten to 2014.  But Alaric said that Stefan has been Damon's brother for 166 years. Stefan was born in 1846 which means it's still 2012. Seriously, the timeline on this show is ridiculous!

Ha, Enzo trying to figure out jello shots was hilarious.

I get that this is a shotgun wedding, but Jo still doesn't have a dress the night before the wedding? I'm not saying every woman needs a big fancy foofy dress, but what was she planning to do the next day? Throw on a white t-shirt and say that's close enough? Pick up a dress on the way to the wedding?

This was the first episode where Enzo didn't totally annoy me. I liked the conversation he and Damon had at the party. Even though the words were a bit adverserial, the tone was friendly rather than combative, which is a nice change and a good reminder that they used to be friends. I was also glad that Enzo conceded that Lily being locked up was a family matter and didn't try to argue with Stefan about letting Lily out. Hopefully she doesn't talk Enzo into breaking her out next week.

I know that there's no way to verify that the cure is real, but the fact that Lily was in possession of it made me a little wary of it. What if she had replaced it with syrup? Or something worse like poison or vervain?

When Elena was trying to move the shelving to block the door, all I could hear was Rebekah saying, "Stupid mortal body!"

Love the return of 1994 music for the closing scene! Oh, Kai, you magnificent bastard, how I have missed you.

I don't know why Stefan and Damon think that locking up Lily will magically change her attitude. Stefan just wants his mommy back and she has made it clear that isn't going to happen. He is just a reminder of a terrible time in her life and she doesn't see him as anything more than that. The heretics are her family now. Locking her up isn't going to make her love him or make her forget about the heretics, so they might as well just stake her now and save everyone a lot of trouble.

Interesting how the dynamics between Tyler and Matt have changed. Matt used to be the responsible one trying to get Tyler and Jeremy sober long enough to go to class or do some laundry. When Tyler is the one tell you that you are drinking too much, you might want to reconsider your alcohol intake.

Matt isn't wrong though. Maybe we need drunk Matt to give out advice every week. Alaric should get the hell out of town and Tyler needs to get his temper under control, just in general, but even moreso if he's going to be a cop. I know that many police officers go their entire careers without ever discharging their weapons but Tyler really needs to consider what a huge risk he's taking by going into law enforcement. If he really doesn't want to become a werewolf again then maybe he should consider another line of work where he's less likely to kill someone.

As long as Matt Davis plays Alaric, I won't care a thing about his character or what happens to anyone attached to his character.

After I made the mistake of reading the crazy stuff he posted on Twitter (including his wacked out TVD fanfic), I decided that the only way to get through this was to pretend that Alaric is the real person and Matt Davis is the fictional character.

Can anyone explain why pregnancy seems to suddenly be a taboo for vampires? I can't imagine a ripper stopping just because someone is pregnant.

I don't think it's necessarily a vampire taboo. I think that a small part of Lily feels guilty that she has no feelings for Stefan and Damon anymore and she thinks it makes her a bad mother, so she was showing mercy to Jo and her two babies. I was more surprised that she didn't kill Bonnie once she was down. Loved Bonnie giving Lily a witchy headache like the good old days!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
(edited)

This episode was definitely better than last week's.

Finally we had all the characters interacting. Glad to know that Bamon are okay even if it happened off screen.

Enzo and the jello shots was hilarious. Why oh why did they not focus on that during this season? Enzo has been out of the world for a long long time and it would have been so much more interesting to see him adapt rather than scheme stupid plots that went nowhere.

I'm rooting for Alaric and Jo to leave. Partly because Alaric hasn't had much to do since his comeback, and partly because, Alaric just wanting to have a family is the Alaric we first met at the beginning of the show. He was so inlove with Isobel and wanted nothing to do with the supernatural world.

Elena returning to human was nicely done. I'm so glad that they didn't drag this one out. I also thought it was handled pretty well.

Her conversation with Damon before taking the cure was nice, and tied in nicely to the 'take the cure with me' conversation from season 4. I liked what she told him in the end, that she won't let him take the cure until everyone including him has talked him out of it.

The sequence of her becoming human was nicely done as well. It wasn't nearly as powerful as the one when she died and became a vampire, but it was still good (I admit I almost teared up on that part), and then the flashbacks came a-runnin'!

Also. It took less than 5 seconds to get back to good old kickass make do Elena. Proactive Elena has always been the best side of Elena, and that sequence with Lily was great. It reminded me of that time she stabbed herself in front of Elijah in order to dagger him.

Bonnie was awesome again, telling Lily flat out that she won't help her.

Stefan and his mom fell flat for me. I agree with everyone else saying they lacked chemistry. I wanted to be invested in that storyline because I love Stefan, but I just couldn't.

Stefan actually seemed really off this week. His message to Caroline was so damn selfish I couldn't help rolling my eyes. I get that he has a lot going on with his mom back and everything, but Caroline needs her own time as well. Let her have it! Don't try to guilt trip her into coming back by saying shit like that.

I'm glad Caroline was mentioned though. I didn't expect her to be in this episode but it's nice that the writers didn't sweep her underthe rug after last week.

KAI IS COMING BACK! THAT CORNBREAD LOOKS DELICIOUS!

I called it! He was the witchpires' blood bag so of course he's not dead.

I'm not sure how they intend to come back because Bennet Blood. But maybe for the 1903 prison world the Gemini coven didn't use a Bennet witch, and with Kai being as powerful as he is now, (and with the witchpires to channel), it would make sense if he can break out. I would still like the show to explain this though.

ETA loved Matt this episode. He's finally getting a defining story. He also delivered so many good lines. I'm looking forward to see how things will play out for him in season 7.

ElectricBoogaloo, I totally agree with Jo's bachelorette party. Only Elena and Bonnie in an empty diner? it was ridiculously depressing. Let's hope Elena never throws a bachelorette for anyone ever again.

Edited by raytch
(edited)
It took less than 5 seconds to get back to good old kickass make do Elena. Proactive Elena has always been the best side of Elena, and that sequence with Lily was great. It reminded me of that time she stabbed herself in front of Elijah in order to dagger him.

ITA - all it took was Elena becoming human again for her to regain some of her awesomeness from S1 and S2. I loved that she was already planning ahead so she could use her bachelorette party button. I also loved that she used the escape tunnel in the back of the restaurant from a few seasons ago.

KAI IS COMING BACK! THAT CORNBREAD LOOKS DELICIOUS!

I know! Kai is a murderous psycho, but between the cornbread he made for the heretics and the lasagna he made for Bonnie, I kind of want him to come over and make me dinner.

Enzo and the jello shots was hilarious. Why oh why did they not focus on that during this season? Enzo has been out of the world for a long long time and it would have been so much more interesting to see him adapt rather than scheme stupid plots that went nowhere.

I agree. We had lots of instances of Kai adjusting to the present and he was only in the prison world for about twenty years. But Enzo was locked up for decades and the jello shots were the first real example I remember of him struggling with adapting to this new modern world. Even Rebekah had some choice comments about modern music and the way women dress now after she was undaggered. We've only had Lily in the present for a few episodes and she has made comments about the internet, shown confusion at potato skins, had texting explained to her, etc. so it just seems weird that Enzo was not shown having any confusion or adjustment when he initially showed up in present day. Missed opportunity because he can be funny and charming and I prefer that to him being mopey and trying to hatch evil plots.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am totally ITA with Electric Boogaloo's posts above. I liked this episode a bit better than last week's, more character interactions, more stuff happening, no post-off-switch Caroline (it irks me that I feel this way since I heart CA and Caroline), every Bonnie scene, and of course Kai's appearance, ringing that dinner bell like a pimp. I've missed you, you spleen stealing bastard pyscho!

Also will mention how OVER I am re: Damon taking the damn cure with Elena although I LOVED how she has reverted back to quick thinking, proactive Elena when confronted by Lily and then running from her. That's the Elena I have missed.

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
(edited)

But maybe for the 1903 prison world the Gemini coven didn't use a Bennet witch,

My impression was they weren't IN the 1903 prison world anymore, why else be playing "Shine" I figured Kai sucked up all their magic and slid them over in the 1994 world where there was an ascendant? IDK, but I was so happy to see him. 

I hate Dalena so having her turn human and so she was more in love with him than ever just grossed me out, all while completely erasing Stelena from her memories, and apparently all the really horrible shit Damon did to her and her brother and her friends. Whatever Plec what the fuck ever. I did love that Elena was back to her proactive self though that was nice.

I really wish Lily had drank from Elena so we were done with her (she'd get the cure and become her pathetic human self). Please lady you are no Kai. 

Bonnie telling her fuck off was the highlight of the episode as was her manipulation of Elena to take the cure (did she also play possum about her role in bringing it back, I think she did). I loved Kat working the shade for that whole scene (I talked to Damon, ...you and Damon talked?) She is really done with these people, and HEY so is Matt Donavon Bonnie go find Matt and you to can rule Mystic Falls together!

Edited by blixie
  • Love 1
(edited)
Kai's appearance, ringing that dinner bell like a pimp. I've missed you, you spleen stealing bastard pyscho!

Ha, that totally cracked me up!

I'm rooting for Alaric and Jo to leave. Partly because Alaric hasn't had much to do since his comeback, and partly because, Alaric just wanting to have a family is the Alaric we first met at the beginning of the show. He was so inlove with Isobel and wanted nothing to do with the supernatural world.

Agreed on both counts. I was so excited when they brought Alaric back but he has had nothing to do besides hook up with Jo and then get her knocked up. As much as I like the idea of having Alaric around, I would be totally fine if he left town so that he could get the happy ending he originally wanted - he is human again with a wife and kids.

I thought it was hilarious when Matt told Alaric, "You're human so it's a miracle you're still alive." Nope, not a miracle, just lots of magic. Between having the magic ring and becoming a vampire, his life has been saved many times (not to mention however many times he was given vampire blood to heal when he was a human). It's not Alaric has been a human who managed to stay out of harm's way all this time, which is kind of what Matt made it sound like.

I can't keep track of the body count anymore so has Bonnie killed anyone? I am only asking because Matt said that all of his friends are killers except for Alaric. I wonder if Matt is referring only to human deaths. Alaric definitely killed lots of vampires, but has he ever killed a human? We know all the main vampires (Damon, Stefan, Elena, Caroline) have killed humans, as have Tyler, Enzo, Liv, etc. And has Alaric killed any humans? At least now we know where Matt's line is. He wants nothing to do with vampires, but apparently ex-vampires are okay since he's cool with Alaric (I guess that means he can be friends with Elena now that she's human again). And ex-werewolves are tentatively okay.

I don't think Alaric killed any humans. Even when he was Evilaric he was only after vampires.

He killed Logan Fell but he was already a vampire then...

So, Elena is human again. Well, it obviously only happened because Nina is about to leave so I can`t really flow with the storyline. The "for behind the scenes reasons" practically jumps off the screen.

They kinda even lampshaded it a bit with Alaric because he was - briefly - a vampire and then got turned back and since then has been in storyline oblivion. They did integrate him back when he was human the first time but that was as a hunter and with the ring shenanigans. Matt can gripe all he wants but in this show, unless you are a supernatural entity, you are wallpaper. Granted, sometimes even WHEN you are supernatural but at least the writers occassionally know when to trot you out story-wise. Matt is pointless BECAUSE he is human in this show. And since it`s called the "Vampire" Diaries and they are the protagonists, all his valid points against vampires are moot and annoying.

Elena is no longer the doppelganger and just human now so off she will eventually go into the land where pointless humans live on this show. It`s also why everyone tries to talk Damon out of taking that cure. Since Ian and therefore Damon remains, he has to stay as he is. Even if it will be super-mopey or maybe loosing it again. As long as he is a vampire while doing it. Even Stefan never brought up his previous wish to be human again. Maybe he got an email from Rebekah "it fucking sucks, we were so wrong". 

I also wouldn`t say Elena has magically been brought back to proactive and badass as a human. When Kai had her and melted her ring, she used her own hand as a flamethrower against him. For me that`s no different. Her level of healing and fighting skills just were different. I`m not saying Vampire!Elena didn`t have massive problems but I don`t think that was so clear cut as human/vampire but the storylines she was in respectively.

When Bonnie brought up the "maybe you won`t love him...", I wanted to punch her senseless for a moment because bad enough to drag the stupid cure back from Season 4 but that "she doesn`t really love you" mantra was even more eye-roll-worthy and I didn`t need a fucking reminder. And, as expected, it wasn`t true then and wasn`t now. Since Alaric used a human!Elena moment as her "love" trigger, it was a foregone conclusion anyway.

Lily is horrible. Did she take parenting classes from the elder Mikaelsons? Which, actually, they at least cared for (some) of their children. How does a vampire just loses their feelings for loved ones? None ever did on the show. She must be truly sociopathic. No wonder she bonded with the likes of proto-Kai`s. At least the latter is amusing and I liked his half-Luke persona.

Damon has scenes with Enzo and Alaric. Yay. Bamon kinda made up? Yay. They did so offscreen? Boo. 

• Love 1

So Damon would age to 166 years and die when he takes the cure? I'm confused...

• Love 2

First--to clear up the cure/aging stuff: a CURED vampire will ONLY rapidly age if another vampire drinks from them. And then they will progress to their real age--but probably die before they get there, if they're older than, y'know, 90. So Elena would age like an additional year if Damon drank from her, but Damon would age to the point of death. BUT ONLY if someone drank from him.  

I enjoyed that episode a lot more than the last run. I think I really needed a break from Caroline, tbh. And I love her. But with the grieving period (which CA nailed, no shade to her) and then the AWFUL no-humanity Caroline stuff, it's just been a slog with her recently.

And Stefan too, since that's been his whole storyline this season. So I enjoyed his snarky 'tude this episode, but I agree that the mom stuff didn't really work for me. I believe it from PW, but I feel nothing for or from Lily (which is intended, I guess?) so I just can't bring myself to care much. I just want her dead.

Human Elena in two scenes is already a thousand times better than vampire Elena in two seasons. I don't care that she still loves Damon or loves him more or whatever--she did love him before she vamped out, so that's never been my issue with them. My issue was that I don't think Human Elena would have stood for the shit Damon pulled in S5 particularly. But he's better this season, and if he were to continue that, and especially if he were human again, I'd believe they could be together. And I HATE Delena. I'm just saying that I buy all of this, and I'm okay with this direction being the ending for Elena.

Bonnie Bennett killed it in this episode. You stand firm, Bonbon. This Bamon phone call sounded adorable.

Ummmm...has Kai been hitting the gym in 1903? Because he looked a little buffer than when last we saw him. Missed you, Kai! Come back soon!

• Love 2
Can anyone explain why pregnancy seems to suddenly be taboo for vampires?

I think it's more that harming/killing a pregnant character is taboo for television, especially network television, and it's getting dressed up as being taboo for vampires when, logically, it shouldn't matter given how easily they kill humans as it is.

So Damon would age to 166 years and die when he takes the cure?

Damon would only start aging if a vampire drains the cure from his body like Silas with Katherine.  If he manages to avoid vampires, then he won't age but he should know how unlikely that is.  Damon himself was always the first one to drain humans wherever he went and without a second thought, so he knows that he's unlikely to be believed if he tells them they'll become human.  Any vampire who hears that would assume he's lying to save himself.  To return to your question, though, yes he would rapidly age to his 166 years and die after being drained.

• Love 2
(edited)

Both Lily and Damon have been shown to feel conflicted about their killing in general, and I think infant/child murder is substantively different from killing an adult or even a teen. Lily is very maternal except when it comes to her own sons (which...still doesn't really make sense to me, but okay, let's say that she shut that specific part of her humanity off in order to survive and to try never to hurt her kids), and Damon is a huge asshole who feels WAY less remorse about killing than he should (and pretends to feel none at all) but has been shown to have trouble fully turning off his humanity. It seems in-character to me that Lily or Damon would balk at killing a baby (or a pregnant woman for the same reason).

But back to the pregnancy story: it was so obvious that Jo was going to have twins that I forgot it hadn't already been revealed. That said, come on. Jo is a doctor. Her hormone testing would have shown that she was having multiples, and if that didn't happen because she wasn't sure of when she got pregnant, then at any rate if she's far enough along to show what we saw in the ultrasound, then she also would have already had a heartbeat test, which would have revealed the same thing Lily heard.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 4

I don't know if this will happen, but I'm wondering if they will suggest Caroline feed from Elena so she can be human to.  Caroline will choose to stay a vampire.

It looks like Ian S. was right about them not wanting Damon and Bonnie to share any scenes.  It would have been nice to see the Damon/Bonnie conversation, and Damon feeding Bonnie his blood to heal her.

Good episode and I liked human Elena using her brain to save herself from Lily.  Shouldn't Lily have been able to smell that Elena was human the second she walked up on her?  I am just not feeling Lily as a big bad.  Maybe if she has her Witchpires with her, it will amp up her evil, but thus far, she leaves me cold.  It is impossible for me to care any less about Stefan and his mommy issues. 

The bachelorette party was the saddest thing I have ever seen.  And the stripper.... Somebody should mention to Elena that, when your loved one regularly die around you, a cop coming and asking about the man you love is more cruel than amusing.  I have to confess, the Jo having twins thing actually WAS a surprise to me.  But that is mostly because I haven't given a single second thought to the fact that she is pregnant since it was announced the first time.  The Gemini Coven storyline brought us my beloved Kai, but other than that.....just total Meh.  I can't even remember what happened to the female blonde twin after her brother was assimilated. 

First--to clear up the cure/aging stuff: a CURED vampire will ONLY rapidly age if another vampire drinks from them. And then they will progress to their real age--but probably die before they get there, if they're older than, y'know, 90. So Elena would age like an additional year if Damon drank from her, but Damon would age to the point of death. BUT ONLY if someone drank from him.  

Damon would only start aging if a vampire drains the cure from his body like Silas with Katherine.  If he manages to avoid vampires, then he won't age but he should know how unlikely that is.  Damon himself was always the first one to drain humans wherever he went and without a second thought, so he knows that he's unlikely to be believed if he tells them they'll become human.  Any vampire who hears that would assume he's lying to save himself.  To return to your question, though, yes he would rapidly age to his 166 years and die after being drained.

I don't know which writer thought this up, but it doesn't even come close to making sense. Why would having another vampire drinking your blood cause you to start aging? It's just stupid, I hate when they make up illogical crap like this.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know which writer thought this up, but it doesn't even come close to making sense. Why would having another vampire drinking your blood cause you to start aging?

I guess as long as the magical cure blood is in your system, you are a vampire turned human and will start aging normally from that point on. If, however, that blood is drained out of you, your actual age aka however many years you`ve lived slowly catches up to you. For Elena, that is no problem. Caroline would be okay, too. All the other vamps we know would be toast eventually. 

Which means that Kai/the heretics should be able to drain it ouf of someone, too, right? Since it`s magic like vampire blood is magic, they could siphon it.  

but I'm wondering if they will suggest Caroline feed from Elena so she can be human to.  Caroline will choose to stay a vampire.

Caroline had no interest in the cure back in Season 4. I think she even once expressed that she prefered to be a vampire. Or Klaus did and didn`t deny it. It would feel odd for anyone to suggest she take it. Stefan desperately wanted it back then but if they asked him now, they`d have a problem with their current plan. If Damon takes it from Elena and then Stefan took it from him, Damon would die. If they swapped places, Stefan would die. 

Edited by Aeryn13

Why would having another vampire drinking your blood cause you to start aging?

The idea is that they are literally sucking the magic of the cure out of you, which is the only think preventing you from rapidly aging up to where you are, I'm definitely not arguing it  isn't stupid, especially since well if the cure is in the blood, why  not just use the cured person as  Cure Bloodbag, as Klaus was going to use her as Hybrid Bloodbag. 

Maybe he got an email from Rebekah "it fucking sucks, we were so wrong".

Haha, true, to be fair though Rebekah's situation is bit different, she's not in her own body, and it's crowded in there and she's linked up to a bunch of children, and yeah, but I think the idea is that it's much harder to transition from being a 100 or 1000 year old super powered vampire (like Bex and potentially Damon) than to be a baby vamp going back to the thing you were for most of your life: a human.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's not a cure bloodbag thing going on.  It would be a very good business opportunity.  Every 6-8 weeks, Elena sells a bag of her blood, another vampire gets cured.  She has enough witches in her pocket that she could easily mask her location and identity so rabid vamps aren't coming after her in order to drain all the magic from her at once.  

I can't keep track of the body count anymore so has Bonnie killed anyone? I am only asking because Matt said that all of his friends are killers except for Alaric. I wonder if Matt is referring only to human deaths. Alaric definitely killed lots of vampires, but has he ever killed a human? We know all the main vampires (Damon, Stefan, Elena, Caroline) have killed humans, as have Tyler, Enzo, Liv, etc. And has Alaric killed any humans? At least now we know where Matt's line is. He wants nothing to do with vampires, but apparently ex-vampires are okay since he's cool with Alaric (I guess that means he can be friends with Elena now that she's human again). And ex-werewolves are tentatively okay.

Yeah, she was complicit in killing Mason (still not over that) and to a greater extent Anna (not over that either).

If I remember right, Silas had to "drain" Katherine of all her blood to get the cure.  They all thought Katherine was dead but then her heart kept beating - she woke up and asked Damon if she were in hell.

Of course, if that's the case, I don't know how Damon was going to get the cure - I can't see him "draining" Elena of all her blood so she could possibly die.

This is an excerpt from the transcript of the Season 5 episode "Death and the Maiden"

(Dr. Wes Maxfield is looking at some X-rays.)

Katherine: So, what am I looking at here, hmm, blood clot, tumor, what?

Wes: I did a full workup on your blood, Katherine. It's clean.

Katherine: My hair is going gray and my teeth are falling out. I'm not sure what that suggests, but it's definitely not health.

Wes: (into his recorder) Patient is irritable. Not sure if this is a symptom or personality.

(Katherine stands up, snatches the recorder from his hand and smashes it against the wall. She stands inches from his face.)

Katherine: Personality. Now tell me exactly what the hell is going on with me.

Wes: You're aging.

Katherine: What?

Wes: You said you were turned into a vampire 500 years ago, give or take, and now that you're human, let's just say time is catching up with you.

Katherine: (turns away from him, concerned) Ok. Ok. Well, how do we stop it?

Wes: We don't. It's just life running its course quicker than normal.

Katherine: How much quicker?

Wes: If it continues at this rate, you have a few months. I'm sorry.

It was not established that her blood being drained made a bit of difference.

Do we know how long Katherine was human before Silas drained her? She did not start aging until after the incident with Silas, so it seems like a safe assumption that his feeding on her and "killing" her was the catalyst for the aging process. If I remember correctly (which I may not), she had at least a few months of being a human before she went gray and lost teeth. She even tried to become a vampire again during that time, right? Anyone committed enough to double check that timeline?

• Love 1

Ugh, I took one for the team and fast forwarded through Netflix.  Then I got bored and forgot to watch so started ff through again while checking out wikipedia.  On wikipedia I found that Episode 5, Monster's Ball, is when Silas sucked Katherine dry.  The next episode, girl got some grey hair.  So, it seems like the removal of the cure from her body is what caused the aging.  

Hopefully this is mentioned to Damon next episode as a reason he shouldn't take the cure.  Surely Damon has pissed off several vamps enough for them to kill him when they find out he's human. 

Damon is aware, he specifically says that he will suck the cure out Elena, but he knows the risk if he's ever drained, and as long as he and Elena move out of Mystic Falls it's not highly likely he'd ever be bitten/attacked much less drained of all his blood/cure. But they would have no plans to do leave MF, so yeah he'd be fucked. Which is why Elena said let everyone talk you out of it.P

Part of me wants Damon to take the cure, and have him be the one whose love evaporates afterwords. Heee.

• Love 3

My impression was they weren't IN the 1903 prison world anymore, why else be playing "Shine" I figured Kai sucked up all their magic and slid them over in the 1994 world where there was an ascendant? IDK, but I was so happy to see him. 

It was a snowy winter night (with a really bright light coming from somewhere off to the side) so it was still 1903.

I swear, Whitmore College and Mystic Falls must be just across the street from one another now.

• Love 1

A couple of people have mentioned Stefan seeming "off" this episode. Much as I like Stefan generally, he seemed to be uncharacteristically selfish. The Caroline phone message I sort of understood because he sounded like he was trying to be lighthearted. Damon taking the cure was all about Stefan losing his brother rather than pointing out the stupidity of his plan. Then the Lily bit was all about Stefan wanting his mommy rather than listening to what she was actually saying.

I want to be interested in Lily. You could understand her stance as being like a bio parent who gave their child up for adoption and now 40 years later has no interest in meeting them. Something about her just bugs me. Also this ripper thing - of course she had it under control in the 1903 prison world, there was nothing living to feed on!

I'm looking forward to next week's Defan road trip. Shame that Alaric isn't going too.

This whole cure thing would be more interesting, if they remembered that Stefan wanted it too - because only Damon OR Stefan could take it, but never both of them.

Still, I mean, Damon as a human? He loves Elena, but he would hate being human. Elena would get a house, get a job, be a doctor, have a bunch of kids...what is Damon supposed to do? Be the stay at home dad? Get a job himself? Damon wasn't even the play-by-the-rules type as a human, and as a vampire he's always enjoyed doing whatever the hell he wanted. As a human, you can't do that. There are bills to pay, things to think about, and you can't just piss off anybody you crosses you! Some people will be assholes to you and you won't be able to do anything about it, except clench your teeth.

And would human Elena really be happy with him as a partner? I feel like Damon is the partner for an adventurous life, a vampire life, where you can live it up and have fun, but would he be a good partner for her in that settled down, friendly neighbourhood existence? I do hope this storyline will conclude that they both want different things in life and it's time to say goodbye, instead of yet another overwrought "I'm setting you free for your own good, blahblah" kind of storyline.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, she was complicit in killing Mason (still not over that) and to a greater extent Anna (not over that either).

Mason was more upsetting than Anna...forget Anna, she helped manipulate her, kidnapped her and threatened her. I liked Anna, but I didn't fault Bonnie for that entire storyline. 

Edited by venusnv80
  • Love 1

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's not a cure bloodbag thing going on.  It would be a very good business opportunity.  Every 6-8 weeks, Elena sells a bag of her blood, another vampire gets cured.  She has enough witches in her pocket that she could easily mask her location and identity so rabid vamps aren't coming after her in order to drain all the magic from her at once.  

Or maybe, just maybe, they could have taken the cure to a bunch of witches to see if they could duplicate it first before just jumping the gun. I'm pretty sure the witches would be all for at least trying as they would have been interested in getting their hands on another weapon against a species of supernatural beings that have been in their hair for a long time, if not the key to wiping them out entirely, and if it doesn't age them to dust in the bargain they wouldn't even have to feel guilty about it since they would just be returning everybody to their natural state. Of course, these people being impulsive is nothing new.

I don't know which writer thought this up, but it doesn't even come close to making sense. Why would having another vampire drinking your blood cause you to start aging? It's just stupid, I hate when they make up illogical crap like this.

Of course it doesn't make sense, there was nothing in the storyline at the time that gave any indication that being drained has anything to do with the hyper aging, in fact it could just as easily have simply been that it took a few months before the symptoms had progressed to the point she started to notice which coincided with her being drained. As a matter of fact, it would make perfect sense that Qetsiyah put rapid aging into the cure to screw Silas over even more by preventing him from even being able to enjoy his normal human lifespan before dying and also prevent him from likely having the time to use his returned magic powers to find a way around her on the side. Of course, if the writers want Damon human again (which I greatly doubt) they'll probably go with this technicality to cover up the ensuing plot hole.

Apparently it does take a lot of blood to transfer the cure to another vampire, otherwise Lily would have turned human not long after she got stabbed in the eye by that pin with Elena's blood on it. On Human Elena I'm glad she is supposedly going to leave soon, otherwise we would probably have to go back to dealing with that near completely useless woman that didn't do much of anything aside for getting kidnapped and put in danger while everybody else goes out of their way to save her over and over again. Say what you will about Vamp Elena, but at least one has to admit she could actually hold her own against the threats much more often, and I feel like she was a lot less whiny and judgmental too, though in trade she became so much more self obsessed. The proactive Human Elena we saw here was a once in a blue moon kind of thing. Of course, it might also have something to do with the fact that I would never even consider for a second taking that cure if I was a TVD vampire.

Oh and one more thing I thought of, is there some reason everybody is assuming that the trapped witchpires are just as psychotic as Kai is? I thought for as far as we were shown Lily was the Ripper in the group and we don't know anything about the rest of them. Maybe I'm just giving the writers too much credit for them to be good enough to put in a twist that Team Mystic Falls was actually fighting to keep a bunch of innocent people (for vampire witches anyway) stay imprisoned.

I think we are supposed to assume the witchpires are as bad as Kai since the Gemini Coven stuck them in a prison world.  Then again, we are talking about a group of people who breed twins in order to make one eventually kill the other so I am not exactly sure I trust their judgment as to what is evil and what is good.

• Love 4

Vamp Elena could hold her own....? The same Vamp Elena that was damsel-in-distressed as recently as a few episodes back when Kai kidnapped her? That was running away like a little girl while he had 3 chances to snap her neck with magic when she could have Vamp-sped and killed him? That Vamp Elena?

I said much more often. Elena was still used as a damsel in distress by the writers, just a lot less often than they did when she was human. That, and at least with that incident Kai had the excuse of being super powerful at the time. Also, Elena did there is unfortunately pretty standard, the writers only allow vamps to use their super strength and super speed when it's convenient to the plot, otherwise they conveniently forget they have superpowers and just stand around and let people that should be like bugs to them do whatever they want with hardly a token effort to stop them.

(edited)
Say what you will about Vamp Elena, but at least one has to admit she could actually hold her own against the threats much more often,

I said much more often. Elena was still used as a damsel in distress by the writers, just a lot less often than they did when she was human.

Oh, I thought human Elena was extremely proactive. That's part of what I really liked about her.

Being proactive isn't about whether a character has the power to handle situations without help, or whether they sometimes need saving. It's about whether they are the type to sit around waiting for things to work themselves out, or they actively try to do whatever they can about what's going on.

Now, if they are mostly powerless humans dealing with uber powerful characters, they will often (and realistically) find themselves in situations where they do need help. But that doesn't make a character less proactive. In fact, a character with no powers at all can be a hundred times more proactive than a character who has powers coming out of their ears, and can handle most things on their own. (Chloe and Clark from Smallville are perfect examples of this.)

That's how I saw early Elena. She might not have had any powers, and sometimes ended up in situations no normal human could deal with without some kind of help,  but she still came across as very proactive.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 3