Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E23: Moʻo ʻōlelo Pū (Sharing Traditions)

• Start Topic

When Kono goes on a solo outrigger trip around the Hawaiian islands in honor of her mother, she hits a patch of wild weather and must fight to stay alive. As Five-0 searches for Kono, they investigate a man busted for cooking meth who claims he received a threat on his son's life if he didn't continue making the drug.

Original Airdate: May 1, 2015

SOURCE: http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=42408

(edited)

That was pretty. Those women were pretty. Steve was weirdly not worried too. 

And it was really boring. I was amazed at how completely and totally uninvested I was emotionally.  I really liked the Kono character but it all felt so contrived and sigh, of course she'd be rescued.  Or paddle her way to land to be the greatest vision questing warrior ever.

Weird how her fiancé was totally unavailable though.

And still hating the obligatory one Danny scene per episode.

Oh - and the weather?  Well, it's Hawaii, wait 10 minutes and it'll change.  (I don't believe that btw, even in Houston we say wait a day!)

Edited by Jlina

First and foremost, I'd appreciate it if Kono could wear that rubber top all the time. Particularly if she pairs it with the beautiful leather skirt she wore mid-season.

Agreed about the bad aging makeup on Kono's mom. It just looked wrong somehow. However, the makeup used for Kono's disintegration on her journey was fantastic.

What is the lesson of this episode? Kono sometimes makes terrible decisions that leave her at the mercy of fate and her teammates have to do everything they can to try to rescue her? Interesting that this would be what is revealed to us right before her wedding to Adam.

Steve had a Navy SEAL fail. As a Navy SEAL he would know all about the weather and would be more worried about it than Chin. And Steve can pilot helicopters in bad weather now? I feel like they might have shown him flying in the past but it reeked of plot-enabled ability to me. I'm glad the Coast Guard turned him down. I was somewhat expecting him to call the governor.

Too bad Microsoft doesn't make sat phones. Kono would have benefited greatly from being able to say "Cortana, this is some bullshit."

And it was really boring. I was amazed at how completely and totally uninvested I was emotionally. I really liked the Kono character but it all felt so contrived and sigh, of course she'd be rescued. Or paddle her way to land to be the greatest vision questing warrior ever.

Weird how her fiancé was totally unavailable though.

And still hating the obligatory one Danny scene per episode.

Oh - and the weather? Well, it's Hawaii, wait 10 minutes and it'll change. (I don't believe that btw, even in Houston we say wait a day!)

Responding to the bolded (as I watch the end of S2 on TNT network here in the US & as I keep my eye on my Twitter for the new Royal Baby's birth announcement--I'm hoping it's a girl, but it'll probably be another boy; healthy & happy is more important than the gender though)...

Ian Anthony Dale (aka Adam) also has a part in another police show, Murder in the First, which airs on the same TNT network as the H50 reruns. I think they've been filming their second season, which probably accounts for Adam's absence this ep.

Kono said something like he said goodbye to her at home 'cause he didn't wanna go to the canoe to do it (like the team & everyone else important to her did). I know we get at least a little more Adam next week, based on the ep descriptions, if that helps.

• Love 2

How old is Kono supposed to be?  Her parents looked more like grandparents to me.  I did like the fact that she was able to get herself back to land instead of having Chin or Steve heroically find her and have to lift her semi-conscious body up to a helicopter.

The other story during the episode was interesting, but it seemed rushed because of the Kono story.  I would have liked to see that one as the main story of an episode and have them flesh it out a little more.

• Love 1

The actor who played Kono's mom is ten years younger than Grace Park.... Yeah, this was a snooze. Seemed like filler. And why did she have a bag of uncooked rice with her? In case she dropped the phone in the drink? The rice-electronics thing only works if it's uncooked.... Oh well, hopefully next week will be better.

• Love 1

I wondered about the rice, too.  I first thought that she had it there because it was a good staple food, but then I couldn't figure out how she planned to cook it. 

I was happy that they didn't drag out the old cliché of having her menaced by a shark (although I kept waiting for that to happen) or to have the vision of her mom turn into a couple of dolphins who would help her find shore.

• Love 1
(edited)

And it was really boring. I was amazed at how completely and totally uninvested I was emotionally.  I really liked the Kono character but it all felt so contrived and sigh, of course she'd be rescued.  Or paddle her way to land to be the greatest vision questing warrior ever.

I am so glad it was not just me I felt bad because I was not as invested -- I should be supporting female-centric stories right?

I wondered about the rice as well -- perhaps she wanted to be prepared?

I am actually going to Hawaii in the morning -- too bad filming is over for the year!

Edited by SoapDoc
  • Love 1

I thought it was a bit boring, but am glad she made it across safely. I may have seen too many deep water moves, I kept waiting for a shark to appear. lol I think hey didn't have a big ending of everyone at the hospital show up because it would have been really glaring that Adam is missing, so they just left it at her alone in the hospital.

(edited)

I say it every week. This show is so weird. I suppose it's good because I literally have no idea what the show will be week from week. 

However, who brings a sat phone on a raft that (1) isn't waterproof and (2) sinks? Five seconds of a google search and I found a list of like 20 of them. 

I mean, good for you for attempting the journey, Kono, but give yourself the tools to succeed. 

I always like every episode where's there some form of the "We're Five O. Don't you know we're Five O? Because that means we're going to do whatever we want. We were asking you out of courtesy, but really, it was a rhetorical question."

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

How old is Kono supposed to be?  Her parents looked more like grandparents to me.  

Well, Grace Park is 41. 

As for the satellite phone, yes, she should have had a better satellite phone, but at the same time, I was also shocked by how poorly she took care of the one she DID have. Like have something to tie it to your wrist or something like that!

(edited)

Tiresome episode, and the ageing job on Mom Kono was, as has been said, laughable. What I did like a LOT were the little bits of Hawaiian sacred tradition: the kahuna sprinkling the boat with water using ti leaves, the conch shell salute, the prayers and chants and rituals...great stuff, and it was really nice to see a non-Christian religious tradition being portrayed in a respectful light in a mainstream show.

That said, Kono was one dumb-ass wahine, especially for a trained officer of the Mighty Five-O, not to prepare properly for her voyage: waterproof communication device tied to the canoe, another tied to the paddleboard, same with food and water, etc. She could have had some kind of electronic locater around her neck or fixed into her vest, or several of them in case one went silent. Yeah, it was a big rough storm, but still.

Edited by rockchicknyc
  • Love 5

Kono's (young Mom) was hot. Of course, I don't think her bikini matched up with the storyline with young Kono. I mean that would have been over 35 years ago, right? Either way, the mother was way hot. Once again, Scott Cann had his short work load in the group scene. He wasn't even in the office sliding pictures up to the big TV. LOL!!!!

I guess we will know if the show is coming back in two weeks or so. The up fronts are around the corner. And, if it does come back will everyone return. I think they should just hire Ingo Rademacher to play a new member of the team. He lives in a Hawaii, wants to work and looks amazing without his shirt on. It's a win win for everyone, right?

• Love 3

Aww - I liked it a lot despite some problems. The aging make-up on Kono's mom was bad but as has been mentioned above they made up for that with the make-up on Grace Park during the episode which showed her progressively getting worse. We rarely get female origin stories and if we do than it's more often than not Dad who gets portrayed as the main influence on forming a strong female character so this was a nice change of pace. (I would also like to point out that mama Kono is the first H50 mama that did not annoy.) Wee Kono was adorable and I really enjoyed the elements of Hawaiian culture added to the plot. And kudos for Kono making to land on her own and not having to be rescued by the guys. All in all there was enough good stuff to make up for the obvious plot contrivances. YMMV but to me that was one of the better episodes this season.

• Love 5

What's wrong with a bikini 35 years ago?  I'm confused.

(I don't believe that btw, even in Houston we say wait a day!)

When I went to Hawaii, I remember every day it would pour down rain for about fifteen minutes, and then, sunshine, blue skies, it was as if the rain hadn't happened.

Well, Grace Park is 41.

As for the satellite phone, yes, she should have had a better satellite phone, but at the same time, I was also shocked by how poorly she took care of the one she DID have. Like have something to tie it to your wrist or something like that!

Responding to the bolded. Yes, Grace Park is 41 but that doesn't mean Kono is. They've always been pretty non-specific about her age in the show, other than Kono is Chin's younger Cousin & the youngest member of Five-0.

In her background, though, I think they said she was a teenager (mid- to late-teens, I think) when she was a competitive pro surfer before her knee blew out, ending that career.

Then, in the S2 ep where (the late) Captain Fryer comes to recruit her to go undercover for him & bust Frank Delano's Dirty (Ex-) Cops ring, someone said elsewhere, at the time, that when Kono came home & found Fryer in her house, he was reading a school yearbook (presumably high school) of hers for/including the year 2000 (so either the 1999-2000 or 2000-2001 school year).

Also, in the Pilot, she was a week away from graduating from the Honolulu Police Academy. So she couldn't have been that old, because stuff like Police (& Firefighter) Academies normally have both minimum & maximum age requirements for participation.

And in the ep where Chin's HPD cop father dies in the convenience store robbery, Chin's drinking a beer at 1 point (& I think talking to Papa McG, who's still his partner); young Kono--but not quite as young as in this ep--comes in & says something at least to Chin, if not also to Papa McG or whomever Chin's talking to, & she either sneaks or tries to sneak a sip of Chin's beer. Chin tells her to stop & reminds her she's still underage for drinking beer (or whatever else it was Chin was drinking).

Best guess on Kono's age is she's supposed to be somewhere from her late (probably really late) 20s to mid 30s, at the very most. (shrugs)

• Love 1

It's safe to assume that Kono is younger than Grace Park. But even if she was 41 and the flashbacks were really going back 35 years there was nothing wrong with mama Kono's bikini.

(edited)

We definitely had bikinis in 1990. We had them in 1980, too, for that matter. I remember.

I did like that she was able to get home using old fashioned star navigation and low tech survival skills, and that it was faster that way than by using all the newfangled equipment, Navy resources, and testosterone the rest of the team could muster. Sometimes the basics are best. Her paddleboard did better in the storm than a helicopter, which couldn't fly at all.

RE how fast the weather changes, in New England we also use the 10 minute standard. I guess Texas is slower, if your local saying says wait a day!

Edited by possibilities

We definitely had bikinis in 1990. We had them in 1980, too, for that matter. I remember.

I did like that she was able to get home using old fashioned star navigation and low tech survival skills, and that it was faster that way than by using all the newfangled equipment, Navy resources, and testosterone the rest of the team could muster. Sometimes the basics are best. Her paddleboard did better in the storm than a helicopter, which couldn't fly at all.

RE how fast the weather changes, in New England we also use the 10 minute standard. I guess Texas is slower, if your local saying says wait a day!

I think pretty much everywhere uses the "wait 10 minutes" standard for weather. We do in Indiana too, so I had to laugh when that came up in the ep.

How old is Kono supposed to be?  Her parents looked more like grandparents to me.

It has been discussed in earlier posts that Kono might be somewhere in her late 20s to mid 30s.  In my family, it is the norm that someone who is 30 would have parents aged 60 to 70.  A bunch of youngsters who have not even yet married have retired parents with gray hair.

Maybe not normal in a lot of families, but not unrealistic either.

Personally, I have a great-grandfather (yes--my grand-dads father) who was born in 1818.  1818 is NOT a typo.

I get that this ep was a Kono "origins" &/or "mythology" ep, as I've seen eps like this referred to by writers & others in the business; "Kono-centric", anyway. And that it was supposed to focus on the relationship between Kono & her mother, Nani. But I kind of wish we'd had a scene with Chin, at the age he was supposed to be when Kono was as young as she was in this ep, so we could, hopefully, have a better idea of just how far apart in age the Kelly-Kalakaua cousins are supposed to be.

I remember it being said, in either the Pilot script or some other documents connected to the Pilot/series as a whole, that Chin was supposed to be in his 40s (presumably early- to mid-), & he was conceived as the eldest member of Five-0 (which is entirely plausible as Papa McG has been seen as his HPD partner, & described as Chin's HPD training officer, in flashbacks & other scenes during various eps in the last 5 seasons--although Chin's place as the eldest member of Five-0 may have been usurped with the addition of Grover to the team).

I get that this ep was a Kono "origins" &/or "mythology" ep, as I've seen eps like this referred to by writers & others in the business; "Kono-centric", anyway. And that it was supposed to focus on the relationship between Kono & her mother, Nani. But I kind of wish we'd had a scene with Chin, at the age he was supposed to be when Kono was as young as she was in this ep, so we could, hopefully, have a better idea of just how far apart in age the Kelly-Kalakaua cousins are supposed to be.

(Replying to Bold)  As you stated, the yearbook that Fryer was reading implies that Kono was a high school graduate in 2000.  And we know from the Fan-Built episode that Chin was a member of the Class of 1989.  So that would mean that there is 11 years between them, assuming that neither was advanced a grade or held back.

Am I the only one that was thoroughly confused by exactly what Kono was trying to do?  After the opening sequence of her in the storm, we cut to hours earlier and her about to set off on some journey.  Would it have killed them to explain right then exactly what her journey was?  Where she was going?  Why she was going?  Why everyone acted like they were never going to see her again?  Why it was seemingly some kind of ritual that the entire cast had to show up for?

I get that this was all later explained somewhat... it was a dream of her mother's to do this solo journey but then she had an aneurysm and never got to do it, so Kono wanted to do it in her stead.  But they still never explained exactly where she was going.  Was she trying to sail around Oahu?  To Tahiti, where their ancestors came from?  Was it supposed to be some kind of rite of passage?

I was really annoyed with the bag of rice.  She seemed to have purposely brought it with her to dry out her phone.  How is it that it was one of the only things she didn't lose?  And why did she just sit in on her paddleboard unzippped after she put the phone in it?  Wouldn't it have made more sense to zip it closed so any water doesn't splash in?

The makeup on Old Mama Kono was terrible, but the hair in the beginning when she was in the wheelchair was atrocious.

Was I the only one wondering exactly where she had been found?  Would have been interesting to see how far she had drifted.

(edited)

Am I the only one that was thoroughly confused by exactly what Kono was trying to do? After the opening sequence of her in the storm, we cut to hours earlier and her about to set off on some journey. Would it have killed them to explain right then exactly what her journey was? Where she was going? Why she was going? Why everyone acted like they were never going to see her again? Why it was seemingly some kind of ritual that the entire cast had to show up for?

I get that this was all later explained somewhat... it was a dream of her mother's to do this solo journey but then she had an aneurysm and never got to do it, so Kono wanted to do it in her stead. But they still never explained exactly where she was going. Was she trying to sail around Oahu? To Tahiti, where their ancestors came from? Was it supposed to be some kind of rite of passage?

I was really annoyed with the bag of rice. She seemed to have purposely brought it with her to dry out her phone. How is it that it was one of the only things she didn't lose? And why did she just sit in on her paddleboard unzippped after she put the phone in it? Wouldn't it have made more sense to zip it closed so any water doesn't splash in?

The makeup on Old Mama Kono was terrible, but the hair in the beginning when she was in the wheelchair was atrocious.

Was I the only one wondering exactly where she had been found? Would have been interesting to see how far she had drifted.

I believe Kono's trip was supposed to be a solo outrigger canoe trip around all the Hawaiian Islands (or at least the 8, or whatever, islands that make up the State of Hawaii)--that's how I saw it described in many places, possibly including the press release for the ep (which is quoted in the thread's first post) anyway. It was apparently supposed to represent something done by the ancient Hawaiian ancestors, I guess.

And I think it was a big deal since it's not a trip on a fully-appointed with modern conveniences yacht or sailboat. The only modern convenience she had was her satellite/cellphone. So, yeah, more dangerous than a trip where you had fully modern equipment & GPS & everything else to easily get you out of a jam.

Everybody (well, except Adam) was probably there to see her off because that's what friends do for each other. Even if the rest of the team didn't show up, presumably Chin would've since he's her family. And Kawika, the Kapu leader who's a friend of the team, was also there to offer a traditional Hawaiian blessing on the outrigger, & presumably the voyage.

And they probably had a right to still be nervous about the trip, even though they knew Kono was very capable & could probably do anything she set her mind to. Like I said, she wasn't taking the trip on a modern vessel; it was a basic outrigger canoe like those used by Kono's (& probably Chin's) ancient Hawaiian ancestors, & anything could--& did--happen to her, as a result.

Plus there was the patch of wild weather that eventually befell Kono--they were all aware it was out there, though it looked like a good day to sail before she left & it originally appeared the weather wouldn't cross her path, & they had every right to worry the weather might change course (or Kono might somehow go off course) & have an effect on Kono's trip.

If you didn't notice, the English language title of the ep is Sharing Traditions. So apparently Kono's trip was all about participating in Hawaiian traditions, in general, & Kalakaua family traditions specifically.

She apparently made landfall, after the bad weather, on the island of Molokai (Honolulu is on the island of Oahu). I missed that, but that's what someone else said.

edmattes76342: Was there actually something on Kono's yearbook that Fryer was reading to indicate to the viewers Kono was a Senior that year? I just ask because I have a yearbook for every year I was in High School (& every year I was in Junior High, for that matter), not just my Senior year. Unless we could see something saying it was, indeed, her Senior yearbook it could've been from any of her High School years. But, having said that, given the show's timeline, Kono graduating High School in 2000, or 2001 at the latest, probably makes the most sense.

Edited by BW Manilowe

It did not specifically state that she was a senior.  However I did a screen capture of the cover as he put it back on the shelf and you could read "Kukui High School Class of 2000" on the cover.  The camera also looked over Fryer's shoulder at Kono's photo (probably one of a younger Grace Park),  It was one of only nine on the page and all of the photos were in color, which is something that used to be reserved for the senior class.  (Probably not so anymore.)  I still have those photos on my computer, does anyone know how to share photos like you can on Facebook?

(edited)

I was expecting it to be better, and I think it focused way too much on her mother.  I think that was the issue for me.  I think the episode should have focused more on Kono as a child and learning and training, and instead, it seemed to be more of her mother's dream.  The other problem was the second B story running along with Kono's crisis.  Why do the writers feel that they have to tell two simultaneous stories?  I don't get it.

As for Adam not being on the show, I think it was more interesting that Steve deliberately asked Kono where Adam was and then looked at Chin.  It was a deliberate question since only Steve and Chin are aware that something may be up with Adam, and both men are keeping it from her.  I thought that was a good little tease in the beginning of the episode.

Apart from that, I enjoyed it.  I liked how the entire H5O crew saw her off, and Steve and Chin were both worried.  I remember Steve pausing looking out over the horizon, and he had the same look of worry on his face as Chin.  I was glad to see Danny, but he was only in the beginning and the end.  I'm hoping next season they fix the lack of McDanno.  Lastly, I think my favorite thing about the episode is that Kono saved herself.  That was a twist I was not expecting.  I thought the guys would spot her from the air and rescue her just like ALL sea rescues go on these shows, but nope.  Total surprise in that she found her own way back to land and saved herself.  I liked that a lot.  I also didn't mind the lack of the usual "crowd around the hospital bed scene" that was missing at the end.  I knew she was safe, and I knew the team was on their way to the hospital to see her.  I was FAR more invested in seeing what happened to Steve in the 100th episode after all Steve went through, but I got bubkus.  

Overall, I give this a B-

Steve had a Navy SEAL fail. As a Navy SEAL he would know all about the weather and would be more worried about it than Chin. And Steve can pilot helicopters in bad weather now? I feel like they might have shown him flying in the past but it reeked of plot-enabled ability to me. I'm glad the Coast Guard turned him down. I was somewhat expecting him to call the governor.

Steve HAS flown helicopters in the past on the show, several times.  The issue was that the Commander wouldn't risk his men, which is understandable, and Steve was willing to risk his life to go look for Kono - which I fully expected from Steve.   I don't think it was a fail SEAL moment.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1

I was expecting it to be better, and I think it focused way too much on her mother. I think that was the issue for me. I think the episode should have focused more on Kono as a child and learning and training, and instead, it seemed to be more of her mother's dream. The other problem was the second B story running along with Kono's crisis. Why do the writers feel that they have to tell two simultaneous stories? I don't get it.

As for Adam not being on the show, I think it was more interesting that Steve deliberately asked Kono where Adam was and then looked at Chin. It was a deliberate question since only Steve and Chin are aware that something may be up with Adam, and both men are keeping it from her. I thought that was a good little tease in the beginning of the episode.

Apart from that, I enjoyed it. I liked how the entire H5O crew saw her off, and Steve and Chin were both worried. I remember Steve pausing looking out over the horizon, and he had the same look of worry on his face as Chin. I was glad to see Danny, but he was only in the beginning and the end. I'm hoping next season they fix the lack of McDanno. Lastly, I think my favorite thing about the episode is that Kono saved herself. That was a twist I was not expecting. I thought the guys would spot her from the air and rescue her just like ALL sea rescues go on these shows, but nope. Total surprise in that she found her own way back to land and saved herself. I liked that a lot. I also didn't mind the lack of the usual "crowd around the hospital bed scene" that was missing at the end. I knew she was safe, and I knew the team was on their way to the hospital to see her. I was FAR more invested in seeing what happened to Steve in the 100th episode after all Steve went through, but I got bubkus.

Overall, I give this a B-

Steve HAS flown helicopters in the past on the show, several times. The issue was that the Commander wouldn't risk his men, which is understandable, and Steve was willing to risk his life to go look for Kono - which I fully expected from Steve. I don't think it was a fail SEAL moment.

I think, at least in stories like this, the writers try to put 2 different type plots in to satisfy as much of the audience as possible. Some like the "character" stories--which the Kono story was (or at least was meant to be); others like the "police procedural" stories, which the show usually focuses on & which was the story about the ex-con being forced to continue making meth (which apparently sent him to Hālawa to start with).

Or at least that 2nd story was meant to be a "police procedural". Considering it ended up that the supposedly endangered kid was the 1 forcing the father to continue making the meth, & making the threats against himself if he didn't, it could possibly be argued this was also at least partially a "character/relationship" story dealing with an angry kid who grew up with a father who's an ex-con due to at least manufacturing, if not selling, illegal drugs.

I always assume the characters are the same age as their actors unless I'm told explicitly otherwise. Of course, in most cases the characters are younger (when it's schoolkids, much younger) because God forbid they ever admit somebody's real age.

I agree MamaKono was hot and I ain't too proud to admit it!

I was also wondering why it had to be that day that Kono made her trip - they could have said it was the sacred day of whomever (I have no idea about Hawaiian mythology), the day her ancestor did it, the anniversary of her grandfather's death or... well, anything really. Because otherwise it's just "I'm taking a stupidly risky trip because I've learned from Steve that that always works out." And on the subject of risk taking, I would have loved it if the coast guard guy had said "I'm not devoting more resources (and risking my own men) to rescuing somebody who knew they were going out in bad weather when she should have known better!" But that's sadly never going to happen.

• Love 2

I always assume the characters are the same age as their actors unless I'm told explicitly otherwise. Of course, in most cases the characters are younger (when it's schoolkids, much younger) because God forbid they ever admit somebody's real age.

I agree MamaKono was hot and I ain't too proud to admit it!

I was also wondering why it had to be that day that Kono made her trip - they could have said it was the sacred day of whomever (I have no idea about Hawaiian mythology), the day her ancestor did it, the anniversary of her grandfather's death or... well, anything really. Because otherwise it's just "I'm taking a stupidly risky trip because I've learned from Steve that that always works out." And on the subject of risk taking, I would have loved it if the coast guard guy had said "I'm not devoting more resources (and risking my own men) to rescuing somebody who knew they were going out in bad weather when she should have known better!" But that's sadly never going to happen.

Responding to the bolded. Yes Kono--& the rest of the team--knew there was bad weather headed for Hawaii; they discussed it before she left. BUT... it was supposed to have stayed out of her way long enough for her to get the trip done; I remember them talking about the weather & saying she *should* be able to beat it.

So, respectfully, I disagree with the idea--even though you're essentially putting those words in the mouth of the Coast Guard officer--that Kono *knew* she was going out in bad weather. Basically because she wasn't actually going out in bad weather, nor did she. She knew the weather was expected to turn, but she didn't go out in those conditions & I suspect, if this wasn't a fictional story played for the drama, she wouldn't have gone out when she did knowing she *would* encounter those conditions on her trip. She went out with all forecasts saying the bad weather *wouldn't* impact her trip.

The weather when she left was good enough to go; it *unexpectedly* turned bad (the storm arrived sooner than expected, &/or changed course to intersect with Kono's route) *after* she was already on her trip. Like when the weather forecasters predict rain (or snow), but when you leave your house there's NO sign of the precipitation & it can even look like a completely sunny day--then it starts pouring rain or snow before you get back home the same day (OK, probably a bad analogy, but I tried).

(edited)

Yeah, I get that she was expecting to avoid the storm but it came in faster than expected (or something), but she still went out on a trip when she didn't need to. I know nothing about how common storms are around Hawaii, but couldn't she have delayed a day or two to be sure of a (mostly) clear run? You can't tell me Steve wouldn't accept a request like "I want to make a solo trip around the island in a [insert Hawaiian name] boat some time in June - can I let you know when I need the days off once I get a clear weather window?" (granted she thought she did have a clear window, but everyone else was acting like getting into trouble was a real possibility*). At least if it had to be on a particular anniversary it would make slightly more sense, otherwise it sounds like "I'll go off on some joy trip and if I get into trouble, other folks will risk their lives to rescue me!" (and yes, I'd say the same about mountaineers getting themselves into trouble, too). But when Steve was complaining about only four boats and no choppers, you really wanted the Coast Guards to say, "I need to keep some in reserve in case anyone else gets into trouble!"

Did like that Kono ultimately saved herself (mostly) and didn't rely on the menfolk to save her, though.

* Maybe they're just Genre Savvy - or had read the script!

Edited by John Potts

The adult Kono was having a conversation with her mom as Nani was working on the boat.  (Kono was wearing a shirt that implies she was in the police academy at the time.)  Kono said "the weather has really been bad this year."  Her mother replied in Hawaiian and Kono translated "good weather comes, bad weather comes too" implying that there will never be a time that the whole trip can be made with good weather and smooth sailing all the way.  The next scene, Kono rushed to the hospital in a police uniform after her mother had had an aneurism.

(edited)

I think, at least in stories like this, the writers try to put 2 different type plots in to satisfy as much of the audience as possible. Some like the "character" stories--which the Kono story was (or at least was meant to be); others like the "police procedural" stories, which the show usually focuses on & which was the story about the ex-con being forced to continue making meth (which apparently sent him to Hālawa to start with).

Or at least that 2nd story was meant to be a "police procedural". Considering it ended up that the supposedly endangered kid was the 1 forcing the father to continue making the meth, & making the threats against himself if he didn't, it could possibly be argued this was also at least partially a "character/relationship" story dealing with an angry kid who grew up with a father who's an ex-con due to at least manufacturing, if not selling, illegal drugs.

Understood, but it distracts from the main story.  Having a B story once in a while along side an A story is fine, but H50 has made it a habit of late this past season.  The strong character stories that have stayed with me over the last five seasons are the ones that allow all the focus on the character story.  Case in point:  The 100th episode started with a B story in the very beginning that the team was wrapping up, and then it shifted and focused entirely on Steve's dilemma.  Had the show been going back and forth between the A and B story, it would have diluted the drama that Steve was going through and that final showdown between him and Wo-Fat.  They did dilute the drama with the Danny/Amber storyline when he was in danger form a psycho ex-boyfriend of Amber's.  I don't mind that the story was focused on another case, but the case they showcased was a major one with a major guest star, and so Danny's dilemma was a side note that didn't even allow the team or Steve to have a scene with Danny.  In my opinion, if you're writing a character piece, devote all your time to it.  The 100th got rave reviews (and I loved it) because it was focused on the A story completely.  

Responding to the bolded. Yes Kono--& the rest of the team--knew there was bad weather headed for Hawaii; they discussed it before she left. BUT... it was supposed to have stayed out of her way long enough for her to get the trip done; I remember them talking about the weather & saying she *should* be able to beat it.

So, respectfully, I disagree with the idea--even though you're essentially putting those words in the mouth of the Coast Guard officer--that Kono *knew* she was going out in bad weather. alogy, but I tried).

I agree with you.  Also, Chin later said that the storm "had turned and changed direction," and there was no way for Kono to have known that was goign to happen.  How many times are we told that it will or won't rain, and then the day comes and the opposite happens.  My guess is that she had planned her course, the weather report said it was going to be fine, and it turned out to be wrong (which has happened to many a sailor).  The end result, however, was that Kono used all her skills, know-how, and sheer will to survive to make it home alive.  I liked that.  

Edited by Bishop

I guess I thought the bikini looked current and not retro. Apparently, I was wrong. Sorry, 'bout that!

I don't think you were wrong in thinking the bikini looked current. It's just that current bikini fashions look a lot like the bikinis I wore 35 years ago.

One of the amusing things about getting older is seeing some of the fashions of your youth come back in style. When I was in high school, I wore my mother's old shoes from 35 years before - because the style from her youth was currently in fashion.