Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Blaire & Markie

I came here looking for clarity and it appears that I'm not the only one that is lost. So Blaire hooks up with Tara/Sara, they decide they're better as friends. Cool. Tara/Sara is "caring for" her infant nephew (where's the mom/dad? no one says) but yet has no place to live so moves herself and the baby into a hotel with Blaire. OK.

Markie, the Catfish (or is it Catfishee?) was batshit crazy and I didn't believe anything she said. Not about being kidnapped, not about loving Blaire, nothing. I can't even care about their whole story because I'm so flabbergasted by the subplot of this whole thing.

By the end of the episode,  Blaire is moving to Florida with her girlfriend Katarina (had to start the episode over again to figure out who the hell she is), Tara/Sara is staying in Texas with her girlfriend and BLAIRE is becoming the legal guardian of the infant nephew?? LIKE? What?? Is his biological family that fucked up that they gave custody to a non-relative who is taking the baby to another state? I'm so lost. Nev and Max didn't seem to understand that either.

Was there an after-show? Because while I never watch those, I would love to see one for this episode. I have some follow-up questions that need to be answered.

• Love 9

OK, so I haven't seen that many episodes of Catfish because I usually just stumble upon it and then get sucked into a marathon, but this one was so baffling that I had to find out if I was the only one who thought so too. Looks like I'm not! 

I really was confused by the end and the whole legal guardian thing with Blaire and that cute baby, but did she say she had found a job and I missed it? She got an apartment in Florida while living in Texas or NY (I forget where Blaire was last at)? So many questions. I just don't know...but I wish them all the best! Hope it all works out for everyone.

I'm still holding out for the catfish who claims to have been abducted by extraterrestrials. Come on, someone out there must have used that line.

Maybe this is the new Viacom/MTV strategy to get more views, making it so confusing that people go back and watch again trying to untangle all the WTFs.

Edited by cheatincheetos
  • Love 6

Damn, I was hoping to come here & have someone explain to me why Blaire got custody of the baby, but apparently everyone is just as confused as I am.

• Love 1

I think maybe the baby's bio family was really messed up. They mentioned him not having his own mom around which is why his aunt had him. But then in one of the scenes at the hotel, the aunt said that she and the baby would go to her mom's to give Blaire time alone with Nev and Max. So apparently this girl's mom, who would then also be the baby's grandmother, lives in the same city but is A) letting her daughter and grandson live in a hotel instead of with her and B) not wanting custody of the baby herself. This all makes me think that the entire family is shady. If no one else wanted custody of the baby and Blaire could show she had an established parental-type relationship with him and could provide for him, maybe she could get custody? I have no idea. I agree that this side story is more interesting that pathological liar wannabe goth girl.

Edited by truebluesmoky
  • Love 4

Blaire's Facebook page is quite the eye-opener, mainly because her sister--the baby's mother--is on there. I got to read her (Ja'Baby's mother) page, and all I can say is "wow!". It amazes me the things that people actually publish to the public on social media. Good grief! I weep for the English language. I weep for Ja'Baby.

I believe very little of what I see on this show in general, and I believe even less of what I saw on last night's episode. At least Nev didn't make excuses for Markie; he seemed to get how truly effed up she was, and that nothing good would come of a relationship with that one.

• Love 4

"Blaire tells Markie she spent her "last penny" to get Markie to New York" <---- Is that why she was "homeless"? If that is why then she needs to straighten her priorities....Blaire should have focused more on getting a stable job + place to call home instead of her "relationship" with a minor....

It's funny how Markie concocted a story about being kidnapped (LIE), but really she got "persuaded" go off with an "older" man who she made it seem he was like some "charismatic" cult leader (RIDICULOUS LIE).... Uh....okay keep sticking to that story....

• Love 2

We've seen a lot of dumb people on this show, but for some reason, the level of stupidity of the people on this particular episode was just too much for me.  Blaire, just stop.  Stop meeting random people on Instagram. Stop spending money on these random people when you live in your car. Stop taking in someone else's baby when you don't even have the money to take care of yourself. Stop letting some high school kid who pretended to be kidnapped so she wouldn't have to see you have any role in your life.  Just stop.  

• Love 9

They should have been clearer about it, but I think it's very possible that Blair and Markie were the same age.

You think? Blaire seemed older to me, but that may be because she had a sort of world-weariness about her. She's clearly had a rough go of it, and hard living will age you. I didn't think she was drastically older - maybe early 20s to Markie's late teens - but I did think she was older.

http://heavy.com/ent...sodes-season-4/interesting, with the different names. Also, Blaire's fb page said she had her CNA. With that she should have had a well paying job..

Becoming a CNA takes approximately 6 weeks and the pay is generally barely above minimum wage.

I feel like I missed something at the beginning (the first several minutes were cut off) explaining how she (Blaire) was paying for the hotel she was living in; was it explained at all?

• Love 1

You guys, it's possible to have a job and still be homeless, FYI. Many jobs don't pay well, and if you have a sketch history (like not graduating high school or not having credit or a permanent address) it can be hard to find a place that will allow you to live there. Despite the fact that I don't think ANYONE who isn't in high school should date a high schooler (much less fly them to new york), Blaire is taking an awful lot of criticism here for being a homeless gay kid when Markie seems like a spoiled rotter.

• Love 6

I actually liked Blaire and instantly hated Markie with the fire of a thousand suns.  Markie said she got into DeVry, so she either left school, graduated or got her GED.  Don't they usually require some sort of diploma-type thing? Or do they just require cash?

I don't think there's any way that Blaire would get legal guardianship of the baby and then move him out of state unless she was over 21. 

And I agree that there are SO MANY hinky things going on there. 

I was really hoping that when Markie's dad mentioned that she told him about the situation, that Nev or Max would ask "What exactly did she tell you?  I would imagine daddy is well aware that his daughter is a pathological liar.  He probably didn't want to know.  Nice house though.  Didn't look like Markie had any of those pesky homelessness and dead broke issues.

• Love 5

RE  how they were paying for the motel, I don't think it was explained, but I also don't think they said how long they had been staying there. It could even have just been a place they rented for a couple of days, to meet Nev and Max.

• Love 1

Blaire is taking an awful lot of criticism here for being a homeless gay kid when Markie seems like a spoiled rotter.

I am not seeing that @ least on here.... Blaire is being criticized for being a "homeless baby mama".... Her sexual orientation is just a fact like she is a girl or stays i a motel.... That's how I see it....

• Love 5

Lesbian or not, these people were hands down the worst decision makers I've seen on this show. I am usually annoyed by Nev but I liked how he tried to talk them out of some of the foolishness. I mean, good luck with that though. The guardianship of the baby was weird and it made me wonder if Blaire doesn't also have a little problem with the truth. At least I hope that's the story. My cats might be more qualified to raise that baby.

• Love 6
(edited)

This entire episode was just bizarre. The real loser here is the baby, Ja'Kayden. If a judge gave legal guardianship to Blaire, who, as we've seen on Catfish, exercises poor judgment, you've gotta be Ja'kidding me. That poor kid. Of course, if it's true that the baby's mamma's sister did give her the child, they might not have gone through the proper legal channels in doing so. Blaire's story is so bizarre that I'm not sure it's entirely true either. I wish Nev and Max would've followed up with some questioning about how she got the baby during the update.

I don't understand Blaire spending her last cent on a plane ticket on someone online she didn't know. I also don't understand how she was living in a friend's car, but she still had a phone with texting and skyping features. I suppose that's plausible, but I'd imagine you'd sell all of your possessions of value if you are indeed homeless. I guess saving money for a move down to San Antonio can be achieved if you have a job and aren't spending money on rent. However, I don't get how she could afford to make the move to Florida. I got the impression they were barely scraping by paying for the motel in San Antonio and yet she managed to scrounge up enough money for a pricey move, security deposit and 1 month's rent for an apartment in Florida all the while providing for Ja'Kayden because she was the breadwinner since the baby momma's sister didn't work. Something is not adding up here. To complicate matters, Blaire's new squeeze, Katriana, is moving down to Florida to be with Blaire and the baby? Did I hear that right? Blaire certainly has no problems getting fake girlfriends and this situation is beyond weird and doesn't ring true at all.

Markie obviously had a psychological disorder of some type. She seemed a little sociopathic to me. My armchair diagnosis is bipolar disorder. Her compulsive lying and her aloofness to the feelings of others were uncomfortable to watch, and good on Nev for calling her on her bullshit. Now there's a guy you don't want to piss off. I thought Max was going to have to hold Nev back. I have two words for Nev. Anger management. I'm just kidding. He was absolutely right with everything he said and it was a good thing he was there to advocate for Blaire who was clearly unable to articulate her feelings the way Nev could. The only part I don't understand is Nev apologizing to Markie for getting all worked up and saying something like "I see a little of you in me." What was that about? Did Nev used to be a compulsive liar with bipolar disorder.

In every Catfish episode there's at least one part that has me rolling of the floor laughing and this episode it was Markie's update where she tells the guys that she got into Devry. Max replied with "Congratulations" and I was dying. Considering the source, I imagine she got into ITT Tech instead, but I hope she's getting help for her issues.

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 6

Other evidence of Blair's poor decision-making skills: spending money on a huge Ja'Kayden tattoo while not having the money to get an apartment. I know she was desperate for a family and all, but jesus christ.

• Love 16

It baffles me how many people have their priorities all messed up.  Like you've all mentioned- smart phone, tattoos and plane tickets don't come cheap.  I don't understand why you would rather have those things than a roof over your head and good food in your belly.  And to drag a baby along for all of that breaks my heart. 

There's no way Blair is getting that baby through legal channels.  The state would take him and put him in the foster system over leaving him with a homeless, jobless person. Even if she has a job now, her past history would show that she doesn't stay at any job long (I am guessing based on said homelessness). 

This show makes me weep for today's youth and humanity in general.

• Love 6

Blaire's Facebook is so awful. She actually came off smarter on TV then what shows up on her FB. That this person would have care of a tiny child is terrifying. 

Nothing added up. They needed another hour to explain the multitude of loose ends. Very unsatisfying!

• Love 5

Other evidence of Blair's poor decision-making skills: spending money on a huge Ja'Kayden tattoo while not having the money to get an apartment.

What makes you think she got the tattoo from a pro? It could have been a friend or acquaintance with a little more skill than those whose work shows up on Tattoo Nightmares.

• Love 1

Boy howdy, this episode was something else.  Markie had crazy/dead eyes.  I did not like her at all.  It irked me that nobody asked her about her current girlfriend.  She gave that weird speech ending in the "I want to wear your ring" thing and I was like "Aaaaagh that's so manipulative" and I love that Nev just jumped right in and called her out on it.

I was a little confused about how/why Blaire ended up in TX, of all places?  Did she go with Tarah?  Or she had met Tarah previously and was invited out there?  I'm assuming Tarah was the connection there because of that line where Tarah said she and the baby were going to Tarah's mom's.  Blaire had mentioned that the baby didn't have a mother or a father, so who the heck knows.  Also, that was not an old baby -if Tarah and Blaire were so tight, where was Tarah when Blaire was so despondent and Markie was the only one in her life?  Or did she meet Tarah and within a few months have such a bond that she got the massive kid name tattoo?  I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline here.

Also, don't you wonder how Blaire's new girlfriend felt about all this?  Did she know this was going on?

Also also, did Blaire really believe this ish about the kidnapping?  The weather's supposed to be really nice on Monday, maybe I can just skip work and show up on Tuesday and tell my boss I was kidnapped but I am too upset to talk about it?  Also, that weird-ass crazy story about "the man"?  And how "the man" didn't want anything to do with Blaire?  I wondered for an instant if "the man" was a separate entity that lives in Markie's head.  That was boil-your-bunny unsettling weird.

I give these folks a resounding "meh."  I hope that Blaire's love for this kiddo will help her really get her life together and avoid drama.

• Love 5

The quote option is not showing up, but just to reply to this statement, "Markie obviously had a psychological disorder of some type. She seemed a little sociopathic to me. My armchair diagnosis is bipolar disorder. Her compulsive lying and her aloofness to the feelings of others were uncomfortable to watch," Compulsive lying and aloofness are not symptoms of bipolar disorder (one could argue there would be lying in a manic episode, but Markie was not in a manic episode). Bipolar disorder is characterized by episodes of mania (which includes, elevated mood, grandiose thinking, risky behavior among other symptoms, usually lasting at least several days) and episodes of depression (which includes, low mood, lack of interest in activities, lack of pleasure, etc.). It's possible she could have bipolar disorder, but no symptoms were mentioned and the reasons quoted above are not diagnostic for bipolar disorder. If anything, she may have a personality disorder (antisocial personality disorder or perhaps borderline personality disorder, the latter is characterized by unstable interpersonal relationships), but again we did not see enough about her to give any kind of diagnosis.

• Love 3
(edited)

The quote option is not showing up, but just to reply to this statement, "Markie obviously had a psychological disorder of some type. She seemed a little sociopathic to me. My armchair diagnosis is bipolar disorder. Her compulsive lying and her aloofness to the feelings of others were uncomfortable to watch," Compulsive lying and aloofness are not symptoms of bipolar disorder (one could argue there would be lying in a manic episode, but Markie was not in a manic episode). Bipolar disorder is characterized by episodes of mania (which includes, elevated mood, grandiose thinking, risky behavior among other symptoms, usually lasting at least several days) and episodes of depression (which includes, low mood, lack of interest in activities, lack of pleasure, etc.). It's possible she could have bipolar disorder, but no symptoms were mentioned and the reasons quoted above are not diagnostic for bipolar disorder. If anything, she may have a personality disorder (antisocial personality disorder or perhaps borderline personality disorder, the latter is characterized by unstable interpersonal relationships), but again we did not see enough about her to give any kind of diagnosis.

You're absolutely right. I have bipolar disorder and saw a lot of how I used to be in Markie, so I derived it from that more so than any symptoms I saw her display. Like you said, there simply wasn't enough shown to make any kind of diagnosis. It was just my baseless opinion that no one should rely on as accurate. I didn't intend to infer that compulsive lying or aloofness are part of a diagnosis for bipolar, but it certainly reads that way. I thought the compulsive lying and aloofness about others feelings were in addition to her bipolar and not symptoms of it. My apologies for the confusion. I'm just assuming that Markie has a battery of mental issues, and I'm glad to hear she's getting help. I wish her well at her safety school, Devry.

As far as Blaire getting custody of "Ja'Kayden," maybe the judge in Florida liked her tattoo?

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 3
(edited)

Weird episode

Blaire is a selfish & thoughtless person! She would walk into traffic to commit suicide…and create a pile up of wrecked cars with dead and/or maimed victims. Those who survived would be traumatized. Imagine hitting someone while driving your car…horrifying! Now imagine the aftermath--other wrecked cars/buses/trucks… Sure, maybe just one car would kill her and no other cars wrecked but why doesn't she care that she would psychologically scar someone. Imagine if that person didn't have the best driving record or they were on a vital/critical task/job/etc…so many lives could have been horrible changed or ended by her selfish action (thankfully she didn't do it)…then the episode just got weird and confusing.

I didn't like anyone of the "guests" on this episode.

Poor child has the odds stacked against him/her (screwed over in both nature and nuture)

who tattoos a friend's sister's baby's name on their arm?

I agree with all the other comments about Blaire's poor decision making and the messed up editing that doesn't give us enough info to understand the subplot/situation.

Was it edited poorly because minors were involved (Markie) and/or because non-consent (baby's aunt, grandmother) or MTV knew the baby situation was whacked?

I first thought they were prostituting themselves to be able to afford the motel but now I think there maybe some scamming going on (apartment and job she got in Florida…wtf…and custody of the baby…WTF).

How much does MTV pay these people?

Markie--I can't see the dad giving consent to film his daughter if she was schizophrenic so I think she is either playing a role (bad acting), lies for drama/attention/other reasons (not a good liar imo), or has a personality disorder (dad shouldn't give consent…..wait, how old is she)

Devry…Isn't that an online community college? Good for her if it isn't a lie. I lean toward it being a lie since wasn't that the "school" that was joked about in some cheesy (but funny) 80s or 90s (or early 2000s) comedy (towards the end, some DMV large woman says something about getting into "Devry" (some program that was always advertised during daytime tv--seemed like they would take anyone whose check cleared). Anyway, Markie seemed to be influenced by movies so I wondered if that is were her story came from…

weird episode and the editing didn't help

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 2

Damn, I was hoping to come here & have someone explain to me why Blaire got custody of the baby, but apparently everyone is just as confused as I am.

Blaire won custody because of her flawless ability to judge people's character and the 6-digit income she makes from her high powered career.

"Blaire tells Markie she spent her "last penny" to get Markie to New York" <---- Is that why she was "homeless"? If that is why then she needs to straighten her priorities....Blaire should have focused more on getting a stable job + place to call home instead of her "relationship" with a minor....

It's funny how Markie concocted a story about being kidnapped (LIE), but really she got "persuaded" go off with an "older" man who she made it seem he was like some "charismatic" cult leader (RIDICULOUS LIE).... Uh....okay keep sticking to that story....

Markie should write plot arcs for soap operas. She missed her calling. Or maybe it wouldn't pay as much as she makes scamming people online, so many at a time that she needs to use 'customer relations' software to keep track of everyone and everything.

• Love 1

Not a psychologist here, but I suspected narcisstic personality disorder...important to her to get attention from other people, but indifferent to their feelings. People as mirrors in which to admire herself.

Weird episode

Blaire is a selfish & thoughtless person! She would walk into traffic to commit suicide…and create a pile up of wrecked cars with dead and/or maimed victims. Those who survived would be traumatized. Imagine hitting someone while driving your car…horrifying! Now imagine the aftermath--other wrecked cars/buses/trucks… Sure, maybe just one car would kill her and no other cars wrecked but why doesn't she care that she would psychologically scar someone. Imagine if that person didn't have the best driving record or they were on a vital/critical task/job/etc…so many lives could have been horrible changed or ended by her selfish action (thankfully she didn't do it)…then the episode just got weird and confusing.

I didn't like anyone of the "guests" on this episode.

Poor child has the odds stacked against him/her (screwed over in both nature and nuture)

who tattoos a friend's sister's baby's name on their arm?

I agree with all the other comments about Blaire's poor decision making and the messed up editing that doesn't give us enough info to understand the subplot/situation.

Was it edited poorly because minors were involved (Markie) and/or because non-consent (baby's aunt, grandmother) or MTV knew the baby situation was whacked?

I first thought they were prostituting themselves to be able to afford the motel but now I think there maybe some scamming going on (apartment and job she got in Florida…wtf…and custody of the baby…WTF).

How much does MTV pay these people?

Devry…Isn't that an online community college? Good for her if it isn't a lie. I lean toward it being a lie since wasn't that the "school" that was joked about in some cheesy (but funny) 80s or 90s (or early 2000s) comedy (towards the end, some DMV large woman says something about getting into "Devry" (some program that was always advertised during daytime tv--seemed like they would take anyone whose check cleared).

There was a Family Guy cutaway too, circa 2007...I forget which episode... where one fellow says that his kid got into DeVry and the other sneers 'What did he have to do, open the door?' or words to that effect.

• Love 2

It looks like Blaire is friends with/living with the baby's actual mother. There is a friend on her Facebook page named Desaree who also posts a ton of pictures of the baby, and various comments make me think she's his mom.

When Max said "Maybe someone who's not trying to meet up with you isn't worth meeting" I stood up and applauded. Finally.... someone with half an ounce of sense on this program.

These people are crazy. Period. I think Blaire just wanted a free trip to California to make up for the money she wasted on a ticket for Markie. Maybe she thought they'd take her to Disneyland while she was there. She could go live in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and feel right at home.

• Love 7

Markie should write plot arcs for soap operas. She missed her calling. Or maybe it wouldn't pay as much as she makes scamming people online, so many at a time that she needs to use 'customer relations' software to keep track of everyone and everything.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I so would give you a high-five IRL for that!

When Max said "Maybe someone who's not trying to meet up with you isn't worth meeting" I stood up and applauded. Finally.... someone with half an ounce of sense on this program.

It feels like they are belatedly responding to old criticism. People complained that the handling of the early "Danny" episode was transphobic, so the last episode with a trans person, they went all PSA at the end. People complained that Nev kept trying to get victims to give the liars another chance; now he's cutting off the catfish when she tries to keep the victim hooked.

Yeah, I'm about done with this show.

We went from a couple of seasons of primarily OMG MY CATFISH IS FATTTTTTT, THE HORRORS!!! to this season of rewarding lying liars who admittedly lied to at least 2 episodes this season that were such a complete and utter clusterfuck that the viewers can't even figure out what's going on.  

I saw Markie went to Clovis High and my step-nephew and his girlfriend, who are just a couple of years older than Markie, also went to and graduated from Clovis High.  Clovis High isn't very large, so I'm going to check and see if either of them know of this Markie person.  Sounds like her escapades should be legendary amongst the student body population.

BTW, how are y'all finding Blaire's Facebook page?  Gawd help me, I know I'll regret it and probably go into mental overload, but I'd love to take a look at it.  If we can't post the link here in the thread, feel free to PM it to me.

• Love 1