Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite and Least Favorite Characters

jnymph
  • Start Topic

Almost everyone is my favorite, in their own way. The only one that I sometimes don´t like is Áslaug, mostly because she´s so smug and so far from her character in "the book". I grew up reading the Old norse sagas and Ragnar loðbrók and his world is very familiar to me and I went into the show loving most of the main players. It´s weird how some things are so close to the sagas but others are not. All the changes really work for the show though. Ragnar´s marriage to Lagertha and her continuation on the show would not have made sense if the old sagas were canon.

I started watching Vikings over Yule, and in just over a week I´ve progressed from episode 1 to s04e05. I love this show to death, I give it 100 out of 100 in perfection. But, it´s becoming more of a soap opera as it progresses (not that I´m complaining, per se).

If I was forced at axe-blade to choose favorites these would be it:

1) Athelstein, I was as mad about him as Ragnar and King Ecbert combined. Even at Judith levels.

2. Lagertha. She´s not in the sagas but she is my hero, and the coolest Skjaldmær ever.

3-5. Björn járnsíða.

3-5. Rollo. My tv husband. I thought he was a jerk when he raped the slave girl but when he jumped over enemy lines at the battle between Earl Borg and King Horrick I officially fell in love. Even with the french haircut he is obviously the hottest man in Europe.

3-5. Flóki and Helga. They are fine with their wild ways and eye-liner of the gods. I just wish that Flóki wouldn´t have named his little girl Angurboða (a horrible name) and that she didn´t die. But I´m so happy that even though he killed Athelstein he didn´t end up exactly like Loki (that storyline was lame).

A special mention: The cat that Lagertha cradled at her return to Heiðabæ, I really wanted to see the vikings with cats, and it was fitting that this big, beautiful cat was keeping her throne warm :)

Another favorite: I love it when the vikings (and Kind Ecbert and Athelsten) speak icelandic sometimes. They keep so true to the real Ásatrú, Eddic poetry and heathen lore. The actress that plays Lagertha and the actor that plays Flóki are really bad at pronouncing the old norse/icelandic words, but the others do it very well.

Least favorite:

I don´t like the chinese slave girl whatever her name is, I call her Josie since she reminds me of Josie from Twin Peaks (that´s the only other show I consider absolutely perfect) but in a way Ragnar having his own Josie around town is cool.

Erlendur sucks, I hope he won´t kill Torvi´s child!

And Áslaug, going from being the most humble and smart stepmom to this bragging, scheming breeding-machine was no good. I´ll keep you in my heart as Kráka.

• Love 5

Ivar,  I like the actor, I don't like that they made him slither everywhere.   I can't see him being any big leader or fighter from that position.    If they had made one leg bad and he could still walk I could see him being a great fighter.  

I love that long list -- I follow in perfect order.

I have never liked Floki - either the character or the actor.  The character is two dimensional (usually) and that seems to make the actor lazy. His channeling of Gollum (Lord of the Rings) is boring and hard to watch. 

That made his murder of Athelstan easy for me to villainize. 

• Love 1

Time for an update given all the newbies and changeover that's happened.

My faves are Aethelwulf, Ivar and I still love Helga even though she seems to be going a little crazy.

I still hate Judith the most, but Astrid is right up there too. You would think Margerette is too boring to dislike, but nope, she bugs me something fierce.

Holy damn, it really seems like I hate all the women. I'm not the type to naturally hate on female characters, but I just feel that this show does far better with the males and then half-asses it with the female ones. In general, I think the casting tends to just be weak for the women. The only significant male that really made me cringe acting wise was pretty boy Kalf.

Edited by Silverglitter

I don't really dislike any of the characters with the exception of Aelle and Astrid and the two sneaky, sadistic Vikings Finehair and Halfdan.  With everybody else I seem to go through phases of really liking them, being annoyed with them when they fuck up or being fairly neutral on them. I have grown to like Aethelwulf and Judith and nobody here seems to care for them much.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, magdalene said:

I don't really dislike any of the characters with the exception of Aelle and Astrid and the two sneaky, sadistic Vikings Finehair and Halfdan.  With everybody else I seem to go through phases of really liking them, being annoyed with them when they fuck up or being fairly neutral on them. I have grown to like Aethelwulf and Judith and nobody here seems to care for them much.

We think a lot alike then.  Well I also couldn't stand Aslaug but maybe I should not talk ill of the dead.  Well why not, she sucked.  Also can't stand Gisla as well.  And the first ruler of Hedebee (sp?).  Not Kalf but the first Earl that Lagertha finally put an end to.

And I certainly have always liked Judith and Aethelwulf too.  Especially Judith.  I think she is a well-rounded, complicated character and that the actress does a really good job in the role.

I have despised Floki from day one, both the character and actor's interpretation.   

But Ivar is an up and comer on my hate list.    Petulant little fuck.   The way he stops the action so he can ram his daggers into the floorboard is irritating too.   He can't walk.   We get it.    It seems odd how everyone caters to him.  This is a culture known for abandoning unwanted infants in the wildnerness to die of exposure.   But everyone tiptoes around precious Ivar lest he become upset. 

The other sons are useless and uninteresting.   This season even managed to make Bjorn boring.   A shame, since I thought he was really starting to come into his own last season when he went off to live in isolation and killed the bear and the berserker.   Knowing Ragnar's death was inevitable, I looked to Bjorn to pick up the mantle.  But now?   He's been marginalized both by script and characterization.   He sailed off to the Mediterranean, channeled Chevy Chase seeing the Grand Canyon in Vacation, then sailed back again to Kattegat and for what?  To get nagged by his wife and cranky kids?

The last two episodes have done nothing to convince me this series can maintain the same levels of interest and quality it had while Ragnar lived.    I think I've processed Ragnar's death as the series finale.   Last week I completely forgot it was on.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, millennium said:

But Ivar is an up and comer on my hate list.    Petulant little fuck.   The way he stops the action so he can ram his daggers into the floorboard is irritating too.   He can't walk.   We get it.    It seems odd how everyone caters to him.  This is a culture known for abandoning unwanted infants in the wildnerness to die of exposure.   But everyone tiptoes around precious Ivar lest he become upset. 

Right? I don't care what kind of mental games Ivar plays, THE KID CAN'T FREAKING WALK. In a culture where brute strength is prized, a guy like Ivar shouldn't be able to hold sway over an entire village ffs. I get that the peasants would fear standing up to a king's son, but his own brothers act like they're scared of a beatdown. Just take his knives away, roll him off a cliff and it's problem solved. Sheesh. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Ragnar was definitely unique in the show's Viking society; he was easily my favorite - curious, smart, tough, great fighter, good leader (until he took off), loved his kids (doesn't make him father of the year, but he did love them) and was brilliantly played by Travis Fimmel.  I think the show is smart to not try to have any of his sons duplicate him exactly.  Ranking the sons, I find Bjorn and Ivar interesting at different levels.  I think Ivar will eventually prove to take Ragnar's advice to heart and will be more canny and circumspect.  I don't think anyone has tried to kill or harm him because he's one of Ragnar's sons and they would risk the wrath of his brothers.  They probably don't view him as a credible threat either. 

Bjorn might be showing the symptoms of standing the longest in his father's and mother's shadows.   I'm not really sure what, if anything, he wants long term - we know Ragnar was looking for stability for his people, Bjorn leads raids but would he be a leader of the people?  Not talking about history yet, I think in the context of the show he is growing into that role.  He's had success; is it going to his head (the arguing with Torvi, screwing with Astrid?)  He's kind of standoffish and I'm curious as to what he wants.

Ubbe is a little more intriguing, if he teams up with Ivar for a long term plan.  The other two sons haven't been noteworthy to me.

I'm a little disappointed with Lagertha's direction.  I liked her better when she was fighting worthy opponents so that she could rule.  Her vengeance against Aslaug seemed to come out of nowhere and now she is being betrayed by ANOTHER lover?  I'm not really happy with that.

Same with Helga - I've always liked her but this mommy derangement seems to come from nowhere and makes me a bit sad for her. 

I've never been particularly interested in the non-Vikings and were mainly bored with their scenes last season.  I can appreciate that Linus Roache was usually very good, but I just wasn't interested.    Am looking forward to seeing Aelle's fate though!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, millennium said:

I have despised Floki from day one, both the character and actor's interpretation.   

But Ivar is an up and comer on my hate list.  ...

The last two episodes have done nothing to convince me this series can maintain the same levels of interest and quality it had while Ragnar lived.    I think I've processed Ragnar's death as the series finale.   Last week I completely forgot it was on.

Well I like both actors a lot and both characters and I think the series is doing fine character wise post-Ragnar.  I find all the sons interesting and, despite the brilliant job Travis Fimmel did, am actually glad we have moved on to the new generation.  It was time.  There really wasn't anything left for the Ragnar character to do.  Old Vikings don't fade away, they die.

I like getting t know the sons of Ragnar.  I agree they are messing with Bjorn pretty badly and his personal storyline is getting silly.  With his father gone and his very own massive fleet he shouldn't be going through mommy issues.  I'm with you about both  liking  Bjorn and not liking the way his character has suddenly changed this second half of Season 4.

I really like Sigurd because he is so atypical.  He doesn't seem to like the close-in fighting stuff.  He likes a bow and arrow more.  Says he is the stealthy, cunning type to me.  Totally different then the others who are fame and glory seeking standard issue type Vikings.  And it was totally interesting he wasn't in on the revenge plot against Lagertha.

And Ubbe is a bit of a thinker and has shown what amounts Viking-style to some respect to Margrethe.  He also is willing to compromise if he can which contrasts him with Ivar.  But that also mean he isn't as decisive as a result thus his two half-hearted attempts to do his Viking revenge duty thing against Lagertha end up failures. 

Hvitserk hasn't been given much in the show as of yet but I like that he could care less Aslaug was dead since he was one of the brothers who almost died when she was off with Harbard.  It will be interesting to get to know him.

Then there is Ivar.  One of the most despised Vikings in history according to the Saxons who should know.  Yet we get to see pre-leader Ivar in a younger, more vulnerable state and watch him go all Norman Bates from the beginning.

8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Right? I don't care what kind of mental games Ivar plays, THE KID CAN'T FREAKING WALK. In a culture where brute strength is prized, a guy like Ivar shouldn't be able to hold sway over an entire village ffs. I get that the peasants would fear standing up to a king's son, but his own brothers act like they're scared of a beatdown. Just take his knives away, roll him off a cliff and it's problem solved. Sheesh. 

Hello.  This is the toddler who killed a kid when he like 6 or 7 was it.  And helped dear old dad kill the remaining survivors of their shipwreck.  He can kill better on his fanny then half the others can kill standing on two feet.  Don't mess with The Ivar.  Besides you kill Ivar and you got 3 brothers and a step-brother all in on killing you. 

I find it fascinating how Hirst is trying to deal with a cold blooded killing machine showing how his temperament was formed and how he finds ways to compensate for his physical handicap.  I thought he'd be one dimensional and he is anything but that.  Actor is terrific too.

Edited by green
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, green said:

Well I like both actors a lot and both characters and I think the series is doing fine character wise post-Ragnar.  I find all the sons interesting and, despite teh brilliant job Travis Fimmel did, am actually glad we have moved on to the new generation.  There really wasn't anything left for the Ragnar character to do.  Old Vikings don't fade away, they die.

I like getting t know the sons of Ragnar.  I agree they are messing with Bjorn pretty badly and his personal storyline is getting silly.  With his father gone and his very own massive fleet he shouldn't be going through mommy issues.  I'm with you about liking  Bjorn but I don't like the way his character has suddenly changed this second half of season 4.

I really like Sigurd because he is so atypical.  He doesn't seem to like the close-in fighting stuff.  He likes a bow and arrow more.  Says he is the stealthy, cunning type to me.  Totally different then the others who are fame and glory seeking standard issue type Vikings.  And it was totally interesting he wasn't in on the revenge plot against Lagertha.

And Ubbe is a bit of a thinker and has shown what amounts Viking-style to some respect to Margrethe.  He also is willing to compromise if he can which contrasts him with Ivar.  But that also mean he isn't as decisive as a result thus his two half-hearted attempts to do his Viking revenge duty thing against Lagertha. 

Hvitserk hasn't been given much in the show as of yet but I like that he could care less Aslaug was dead since he was one of the brothers who almost died when she was off with Harbard.  It will be interesting to get to know him.

Then there is Ivar.  One of the most despised Vikings in history according to the Saxons who should know.  Yet we get to see pre-leader Ivar in a younger, more vulnerable state and watch him go all Norman Bates from the beginning.

Hello.  This is the toddler who killed a kid when he like 6 or 7 was it.  And helped dear old dad kill the remaining survivors of their shipwreck.  He can kill better on his fanny then half the others can kill standing on two feet.  Don't mess with The Ivar.  Besides you kill Ivar and you got 3 brothers and a step-brother all in on killing you. 

I find it fascinating how Hirst is trying to deal with a cold blooded killing machine showing how his temperament was formed and how he finds ways to compensate for his physical handicap.  I thought he'd be one dimensional and he is anything but that.  Actor is terrific too.

re: Ivar

I don't see any of that.   IMO, the actor is mediocre and the portrayal already tiresome.   Floki being his special uncle is the cherry on top.   Ubbe, Sigurd and ... the one who looks like Corey Feldman aren't convincing in the least.   The guys in the GEICO Vikings commercial ("Hail Odin!") have more gravitas.

I envy your continued enjoyment of the show but unless something changes soon I don't see myself lasting much longer.   Incredibly, Vikings now seems without heart or soul.

I like the actor playing Ivar and I like the character as it builds towards the historical Ivar the Boneless.

What I cannot get over is the slithering for his whole life.  Someone (Auslaug herself?), somewhere (early in his life in Kattegat), somehow (Mr. Master Inventor Floki?) would have invented him a wheeled mode of transportation.  

It defies reason that that didn't happen in the show.  (I can't speak to the actual history without doing research and, honestly, I'm not that invested.)

I'm really enjoying Ivar's actor too.  I specifically came back to the show after a long hiatus because trailers of the character intrigued me enough to take a look and that and the time jump with the focus on the next generation convinced me to stay.  There was simply nowhere left to go with Ragnar as he was as he couldn't go back to being that young bright-eyed adventurer again.  Ivar has had a few moments that veered close to being over the top, but so much about this show is.  I'm constantly impressed by the sheer physicality of the role, although yeah, I'm left wondering too why Ivar was content to slither around on the ground all this time or why Aslaug would have been content to let him.  It actually kind of amuses and fascinates me that the show is presenting one of the most feared Vikings in history as an extremely resentful disabled kid with serious mommy and daddy issues.

Aslaug's sons are just emerging as more than the collective "sons of Ragnar" who probably would have been content to hang around Kattegat and drink and play soldier and screw serving girls if Ragnar hadn't given fate a big shove.  Bjorn is still defining himself beyond being the son of famous parents and the wreckage of their marriage.  There's a ton of potential there even beyond what history tells us.

I don't hate Judith but I'm not as impressed with her as I think the show is.  I also have a weird soft spot for Aethelwulf because he seems to be the guy who tries to do what he genuinely believes is right according to his society and religion but is forever at the mercy of much stronger personalities like his father.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

I also have a weird soft spot for Aethelwulf because he seems to be the guy who tries to do what he genuinely believes is right according to his society and religion but is forever at the mercy of much stronger personalities like his father.

I do too! I feel bad that he's portrayed as this emasculated oaf when the reality is he fought fiercely to defend Kwenthrith and Magnus, and he also saw through Ragnar's bullshit pretty quickly while Ecbert was practically throwing him a Welcome Home party. I mean, he's not a bad ass, but he's not a total shmuck either.

• Love 2

Didn't Aethelwulf lead the raid on the Viking settlers in Wessex?  I know his father told him to do it, but still...

He may come off as emasculated, but I haven't forgotten what he did so I don't like him. 

Aethelwulf fighting to save Kwentrith and her son from the tower was awesome and it was a superbly filmed action sequence. Also, the actor who plays him is a good actor and has done some interesting stuff besides Vikings.  And he seems a cool guy in real life and is well liked on set.  These things do influence me when it comes to a character.

But yeah, I did hate Aethelwulf for the raid on the Vikings settlers - though what choice did he have ordered to do it by his father the king?

I still miss Kwentrith, sigh.  I really liked the actor playing that fire cracker. Sometimes I wonder what the younger generation of Vikings like Ivar and Ubbe would make of Kwentrith...

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, millennium said:

re: Ivar

I don't see any of that.   IMO, the actor is mediocre and the portrayal already tiresome.   Floki being his special uncle is the cherry on top.   Ubbe, Sigurd and ... the one who looks like Corey Feldman aren't convincing in the least.   The guys in the GEICO Vikings commercial ("Hail Odin!") have more gravitas.

I envy your continued enjoyment of the show but unless something changes soon I don't see myself lasting much longer.   Incredibly, Vikings now seems without heart or soul.

Well we will have to agree to disagree.  To me Vikings lost their heart and soul when Aethelstan was killed off, not Ragnar.  Ragnar's character was never the same again after the death of Aethelstan and became less and less likable with each passing episode.

So post-Aethelstan it has become for me more a detached view of the show with little emotion involved so I don't see any degrading going from Ragnar to his sons now.

• Love 2

The destruction of the settlement didn't really turn me off to the Saxons because both sides did some equally bad things in the name of progress. Ragnar could be a prick, but I liked him anyways and I feel the same about Aethelwulf. To me, nobody on this show is pure hero or pure villain.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

Yeah, Aethelwulf can be a real ass at times and I initially didn't care for him because in his early outings he seemed something of a mindless zealot, which I have little use for regardless of which creeds or deities you follow.  Shooting the kid in the back and leading the slaughter of the Viking settlement was a low point for him.  But it wasn't like they'd really had much choice in accepting that settlement if they didn't want more endless bloodshed and few characters on this show have clean hands.  I mostly choose to leave my judgment at that unless it's something completely egregious like murdering an unarmed man in prayer in a jealous snit.

The character is well acted and he's since shown a lot of different facets both with his heroics in rescuing Princess Crazy Pants and his gritting his teeth through his wife not much troubling to be discreet in her extramarital affairs and having a child who's clearly not his shoved down his throat as the Chosen One.  He was at least trying to think bigger picture about the people purportedly under their protection in the Ragnar and Ivar situation and preparing for an anticipated invasion.  I also find something endearing about the fact that he seems to have genuine affection for Alfred.

• Love 2

While I won't go so far as to say that I "like" them, I find the two pigpen brothers Harald and Halfdan to be interesting in that there doesn't appear to be any sibling rivalry between them.  They really do seem to care for each other.  I guess that's something.  

14 hours ago, Ohwell said:

While I won't go so far as to say that I "like" them, I find the two pigpen brothers Harald and Halfdan to be interesting in that there doesn't appear to be any sibling rivalry between them.  They really do seem to care for each other.  I guess that's something.  

They remind me of a Dark Ages version of Frasier and Niles Crane. 

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, Ohwell said:

the two pigpen brothers Harald and Halfdan

Haha!  I know that Scandinavians are certainly more soft spoken than we Americans, but I just can't stand the timbre of Halfdan Hair-in-the-Face's voice.   Contrary to some of you, however, I could listen to Floki all day!  The brother's actors are really nice looking in real life, by the way.

Edited by Babalooie
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Contrary to some of you, however, I could listen to Floki all day! 

I could listen to him all day, too.  

I actually like Floki.  Always have.  And even though I hated that he killed Athelstan, I can understand that sheer rage and jealousy because of Athelstan's relationship with Ragnar made him do it. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, BitterApple said:

They remind me of a Dark Ages version of Frasier and Niles Crane. 

LOL.  They certainly did in that scene where Princess Ellisif appeared.  Though their cultural IQ level was way down back in those Dark Ages.

• Love 1

This is a difficult question. I think the show makes a lot of the characters very interesting, at least some of the time.

For me, the question is whether I buy them as characters in their historic settings. This is a combo of the writing and the acting, and some characters really felt sucking me in the story, while others felt that they were running around as viking reenactors from the 21st century.

I completely bought into Ragnar, Athelstan, Largatha, Floki, Rollo and Bjorn (even though each had some moments that were completely ridiculous / badly charcterized). Some minor characters, like Gyda, young Bjorn,

Then there were the characters that never worked (mostly bad writing, lack of charcterization): Aslaug (way more screentime than ever needed), Judith (her arc with Athelstan was the only thing I actively hated about his character), horny K-princess, Porunn, Yidu (I almost turned off the show at that point)). Women characters, other than Lagartha are fairly badly done on the show, but there were of course also a couple of horribly wasteful male characters too, such as King Horik, his son (whose name I don't recall), almost everyone in Frankia.

The show has had huge misses when it comes to love stories - Bjorn / Porunn was a giant waste of time, I never bought Ragnar / Yidu, I already mentioned my horror with the Athelstan / Judith thing.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, MetaM said:

The show has had huge misses when it comes to love stories - Bjorn / Porunn was a giant waste of time, I never bought Ragnar / Yidu, I already mentioned my horror with the Athelstan / Judith thing.

I could probably do without any romance.

• Love 2

I love or love-to-hate most of the characters, but there is one whom I loathe - Siggy. Actually, its not the character I dislike, but the actor. I don't think they could have chosen someone less suited for a role that had a lot of potential. She doesn't look Norse at all and doesn't sound Norse, and would be a better fit for A Real Housewives show, with her big hair and breathless, drama queen tendencies. She's a whiny, nagging cry-baby, even before her husband was killed, and always, always looks like she's performing in a daytime soap opera and was just told that her husband has been sleeping with her sister. Hated her in Glee, and hate her in Vikings. My reasons are largely superficial and petty, but it's difficult for me to get past it. 

• Love 2

Well, in the universe of the show  Athelstan/Judith were there to bring Alfred about, who is an important historical character.  Laughs.  And yes, I am fully aware that the real Alfred was not the son of a pretty monk with whom everybody from Ragnar to Ecbert fell in love with.

I loathed King Horik. Yidu. Porunn turned out to be a big waste of time.  I loathe Lagertha's girlfriend. Die already.

I like Judith and I liked Kwentrith, I was sad when she was killed off.

I always thought they should have kept the actor whose character was blood-eagled in season 2 around longer.  He was a good actor and an interesting presence.

I could have done without the entire French Odo and his sadism story line.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, magdalene said:

Well, in the universe of the show  Athelstan/Judith were there to bring Alfred about, who is an important historical character.  Laughs.  And yes, I am fully aware that the real Alfred was not the son of a pretty monk with whom everybody from Ragnar to Ecbert fell in love with.

I loathed King Horik. Yidu. Porunn turned out to be a big waste of time.  I loathe Lagertha's girlfriend. Die already.

I like Judith and I liked Kwentrith, I was sad when she was killed off.

I always thought they should have kept the actor whose character was blood-eagled in season 2 around longer.  He was a good actor and an interesting presence.

I could have done without the entire French Odo and his sadism story line.

DITTO!

I love Floki with his contradictions and am hugely enjoying his Icelandic scenes.  My hope is that he marries again and ends his life with at least one mini-Floki before he goes off to meet Ragnar in Valhalla.  I also love Aethelwulf because of the fine acting of Moe Dunford.  The Seer has always been well regarded.

Judith heads my 'please, let her disappear' list and has done since her first appearance.  Ivar and Heahmund are too one dimensional at the moment.  Lagertha and her entourage I can do without this season.

Favorite: Floki, can't really imagine the Vikings without him - fascinating and intriguing character, brilliant acting

Least favorite: Aslaug, for messing it up for Ragnar and Lagertha!

Edited by Leath
2 hours ago, Silverglitter said:

In fact, Lagertha is number 1 character on my 'die, or at least go away forever' list.

The writer did this to Ragnar, before he "went away".  They made him unlikeable so that people wouldn't be so upset when his time came.  Maybe that's what they are doing with her.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

The writer did this to Ragnar, before he "went away".  They made him unlikeable so that people wouldn't be so upset when his time came.  Maybe that's what they are doing with her.

Yeah, the show is 'good' at doing that. I adored Athelstan initially, but then, by the time Floki killed him, I was ready for him to go away. I couldn't even muster up any anger at Floki over it.

Edited by Silverglitter
1 hour ago, Babalooie said:

That is exactly what they are doing.  It doesn't work for me because I know it is a contrived way to herd people into a certain mindset.  Not me.  Just makes me angry they are out to destroy and manipulate viewers' feelings about a character so I always resist the blatant manipulation and mourn the character twice over.  Once for their soon-to-be demise and especially two, their character assassination they have to go through on the way out.  Let these characters go out in style and don't drag them down into the gutter first.  it doesn't ring true and I hate watching casual viewers get fooled by it.

• Love 2

I just don't get this feeling about Lagertha.  Where is all the hate (and manipulation on the part of Hirst) being felt or seen?  She is Queen of Kattegat and ruling.  I may not always agree with her decisions as a ruler but she's interesting to watch as her narrative plays out.  I don't "hate" her.  And I didn't "hate" Athelstan.

As for Ragnar, I totally saw the manipulation to get us to dislike him -- but didn't necessarily fall for it.  I just  thought it was an interesting characterization for an old, adventurous king in decline.

Floki, otoh, I have never liked.  Even now, in his dubious "redemption" arc.  Nope.  Not for me.  

ETA:  nodorothyparker I agree with every keystroke of your post below.  

Edited by Captanne

I don't get it either.  Even if the show isn't choosing to age up the actress, Lagertha the character is getting older.  There's a certain sense of being settled and complacent that comes with that where carelessness may set in or mistakes may be made.  Unfortunately as we've seen, these characters are in an environment that's particularly unforgiving of it.

Ragnar's decline, I thought, while not fun to watch made sense for a character who was defined by his adventuring and conquering but didn't seem to have any interest in the day to day of ruling.  He essentially had it thrust upon him because that's the inevitable result of defeating your various enemies and he clearly hated it.  Especially as his brother left him behind for greener pastures, Athelstan and various other companions of his youth like Torstein died, and he was left with a bunch of followers only interested in the haul of their latest plundering, or raping and pillaging for the sake of raping and pillaging like the Finehair brothers.  Hence his choosing to end it as he did also made a certain amount of sense.

I haven't liked Floki in forever, but all of this is why I think there's a certain amount of cosmic justice in his being the proverbial "last man."  Everyone he loved and fought with is gone so he's got nothing left but to go chasing off in some quixotic journey after the gods.

• Love 2

I am currently nearing the end of series 501.

My favourites: Bjorn -I love the character and the actor. Sigurd -I love how he was arguing with Ivar even till his death, his voice was pretty cool as well. Erlendur -Erlendur was such a cool character even though he wanted to kill Bjorn. Ragnar - but I started disliking him as he got older. Ubbe- feel bad for him, he is trying to persevere Ragnar's legacy but Ivar is not letting him. Rollo and Floki. Halfdan the black- what a great character, great haircut, great story, all round good character. I also like Torvi, one-eye, Torstein. 

Least favourites- starting with the worst Judith- she is so annoying and I honestly think the show would be better without her, everything about her is annoying I can barely watch when she is on screen, it constantly feels like the actor is trying to look good and her voice is so annoying. Ivar- Ivar has been an idiot since he was born, he ruined Sigurds childhood and then killed him. At the point I am at now he is trying to start a civil war. Yidu just came to mess things up, I was glad to see her go. I found this page by looking for people who shared my hate for Judith because I hate her the most, but Ivar is getting worse every episode. 

Hopefully someone agrees with me, Have a good day.

• Love 1

Favourite: The Seer, Lagertha, Torvi, Siegfried and Rollo before he turned rotten. Also, I just like all women in that show

Least favourite: Floki and Aethelstan's 'ghost'. Mostly Floki, that guy is grossly annoying

Edited by kloassie