Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E11: Survivor Russian Roulette

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I still have no idea why Jeff would think this was best cast ever. This has got to be one of the worst final sevens in the show's history.

As of now, WA ranks in my bottom 10 of seasons and casts, and this final 7 is about the worst and most useless group in history.  I think only Thailand had a worse group of finalists.  So I had to go all the way back to when this show was still in single digits and hadn't had its first AS season to find one that I disliked more.  And not even sure I can say I disliked that group more than who we are left with. 

• Love 3

As of now, WA ranks in my bottom 10 of seasons and casts, and this final 7 is about the worst and most useless group in history.  I think only Thailand had a worse group of finalists.  So I had to go all the way back to when this show was still in single digits and hadn't had its first AS season to find one that I disliked more.  And not even sure I can say I disliked that group more than who we are left with. 

At least Brian was really good at Survivor.  These people are nitwits and therefore this is a worse final 7 than Thailand.

• Love 4

I'm going to throw this out there in a vacuum, putting aside everything that happened this week and last...Shirin needs to stop throwing the word "stupid" around. Not a good look for her.

And I personally am not sorry to see her go. I mean, there really isn't anyone rootable, but I just couldn't get behind her except for that one interview where she agreed that 'Merica is a terrible name.

I agree mojoween.  We may be the only ones.  

• Love 3

I think Mike's plan worked.  If he had given Shirin the idol, he'd be in the same position next week but without the HII.  This way the six have started turning on each other already and will continue next week whether Mike wins immunity or not.  He's put them on the defensive instead of himself.  Smart move.

• Love 24

This people are all so stupid and unlikeable... there aren't even words to adequately sum it up.

I can sum up the unlikeable in three words: Dan, Will, Rodney.  No need to recap how loathsome these three have been all season.  Also unlikeable, though, are Carolyn and Tyler's smugness.  Loved seeing Tyler sweat it out tonight; that was one of the only positive things that happened all episode.  Finally, Sierra's passivity and helplessness are unlikeable as well.  Her confessionals seem to show that she's aware that there are big threats in her alliance, yet she does nothing to put herself in a position to eliminate threats and get to the end.  So frustrating.

The stupidity also speaks for itself.  Dan continues to show how foolish he is every week.  Even after receiving votes tonight, I'm not sure he'll wake up to the fact that he's at the bottom of this alliance.  Mike's bluff was also stupid, IMO.  I get that he wants to save his Hidden Immunity Idol, but it only buys you one week.  I think he would have been better off using it on Shirin so he'll have at least one ally left in the game.  Had he done that, then he and Shirin might have been abe to build a counter-alliance with whoever's left.  Sigh.  But the biggest example of stupidity this season: Jeff Probst for thinking that this is one of the best seasons ever and that we'll like the winner.  Ummmm, no Jeff, sorry.  This has been a dreadfully predictable season so far filled with unlikeable people.  Worse than that, the most unlikeable of the bunch have made it deep into the game.  I love this show, but this season's over for me.  

Edited by me5671
  • Love 3
If Mike doesn't make it to the end, I may actually be forced to root for Sierra.

Just kidding. Even Sierra isn't rooting for Sierra. I did kind of like her running on the barrels though.

That barrel-running was the first time this season that she actually registered on my radar as someone who existed in this game.  Up until now, I'd forget she's there even during her talking heads.  Now at least I can remember her as that girl who did the cool barrel-running.   

Speaking of which, why did they think that tipping the barrels sideways was a good strategy?  

I know Mike has his faults, but I found him kinda hot holding on in that immunity challenge.  And maybe also in the reward challenge when he mentioned doing cross-fit.  Yeah, I'll show myself out now.

• Love 9

I have to wonder what some of the jury speeches will be like for these people, considering their behavior.  Will and Dan think they'll get Shirin and the 3 NC votes?  Jenn didn't seem to like Carolyn out there, and I feel like she wouldn't get those 4 votes.  Rodney, as much of a hot headed big mouth that he is, may be able to argue he played the game, organized an alliance, and tried removing threats early on.  Mike has the best shot now, followed by Tyler.  I can't even see Sierra getting a vote in the final 3, and the only way she will is if it's like last season where Reed through a vote to Jaclyn so Missy would finish 3rd.  She'd be as undeserving as Dan and Will, but in a final 3 with them, she'd pull it off.  Probably the one winner Probst would barely spend time on.

• Love 2

I want to see Mike immunity run this thing all the way to the end.

I agree. At least give me something to root for.

Sierra is starting to remind me of Elisabeth Hasselback from Australia. Passive, pretty, riding along with whatever people tell her to do.

• Love 5

I have to wonder what some of the jury speeches will be like for these people, considering their behavior.  Will and Dan think they'll get Shirin and the 3 NC votes?  Jenn didn't seem to like Carolyn out there, and I feel like she wouldn't get those 4 votes.  Rodney, as much of a hot headed big mouth that he is, may be able to argue he played the game, organized an alliance, and tried removing threats early on.  Mike has the best shot now, followed by Tyler.  I can't even see Sierra getting a vote in the final 3, and the only way she will is if it's like last season where Reed through a vote to Jaclyn so Missy would finish 3rd.  She'd be as undeserving as Dan and Will, but in a final 3 with them, she'd pull it off.  Probably the one winner Probst would barely spend time on.

Your post made me wonder if Will and Dan are the goats whomever they are against could be a clean sweep winner!

• Love 2

On the bright side, something has to happen next week.  Sadly, it won't be an epic blindside if the smug 6 didn't see it coming.  And Dan has his stupid ass extra vote.  I'd love to see him get voted out without using it.

• Love 8

I don't hate this season. This is one of my favorite shows and I am willing to put up with a lot.  It will be better next time.  I strongly dislike Dan and Will though.  I cannot hate Rodney, he is out of his cage and still learning to walk without a leash.  Bless his heart. 

• Love 24

I agree mojoween.  We may be the only ones.  

Please add me! Just because Dan needs to DIAF - sorry, I didn't mean to diminish Dan's tragic adopted child past - doesn't mean that I was ever on Shirin's side.

The only good thing I took out of tonite's sucky episode is that all the LOLtalk of Shirin ever having had a chance to win will finally die.

• Love 3

Your post made me wonder if Will and Dan are the goats whomever they are against could be a clean sweep winner!

I can not begin to fathom any scenario where those 2 would get any sort of votes.  I think the jury would fly into a rage if they had to pick between the 2 of them.  I still don't understand Jeff calling this the best cast ever.  It's a horrible group left.  I miss creepy Vince, naked Max, the other half of the bromance Joaquin, my 3 NC, first out So, and even Nina.  What potential this season had.  Maybe I don't like the 3 tribe concept as much as I thought.

At least Brian was really good at Survivor.  These people are nitwits and therefore this is a worse final 7 than Thailand.

Very true.  So as long as Mike or Tyler can pull off a win, I guess it'll be an okay season.  Still one of the worst, but at least not the worst with the worst outcome. 

Seriously, he told Jan that the best she was getting was 3rd but vote with him anyway.  And she went along with it.  I know Brian's domestic violence accusations likely hindered any chance of him returning, but I had heard producers were disgusted with him and said they would never have him back.  Didn't know if there was more to it or if that was the reason.  I guess he was asked to return for the first AS season, but requested a ridiculous amount of money to appear and wanted to be guaranteed to make it to a certain point.  He wouldn't have survived to the merge the way that season went.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

He barely spent time on Natalie White and Sophie, so I can't imagine Sierra getting even less time than either of them.

Edited by jsm1125
  • Love 1

Please add me! Just because Dan needs to DIAF - sorry, I didn't mean to diminish Dan's tragic adopted child past - doesn't mean that I was ever on Shirin's side.

The only good thing I took out of tonite's sucky episode is that all the LOLtalk of Shirin ever having had a chance to win will finally die.

Yeah, I will be glad to move on from the Shirin hate.  They will have to choose someone else.  Their bonding was focused on a shared enemy.  It will be interesting to see who replaces her.  

• Love 7
If Mike had played the idol for Shirin, they'd have had to pick between Tyler and Dan. Wonder which one would have gone? Tyler probably, since he's more of a threat than Dan?

I suspect it ends in a tie.  Carolyn/Rodney/Will all vote for Dan, Shirin/Mike/Sierra all vote for Tyler.  Then we go to purple rocks, with one of Carolyn, Rodney or Sierra going home.  (Unless one of them realizes this beforehand and flips to avoid the purple rock.)

• Love 1

So Will stands by his awful behavior. Not surprising.

Dan tries to compare his adoption and not knowing his birth family to Shirin not having any type of relationship with her family due to verbal and physical abuse? Ok, didn't see that coming but really? Seriously? Trying to one up victim of abuse with I was adopted. Yikes.

Nevermind the karma talking head. Never mind the contempt shown by spitting, cleaning out a shoe and whatever else he was doing when Shirin spoke to him. He tried to equate adoption with abuse. Is he trying to see how many groups he can piss off this season?

Brilliant play by Mike. He shows Dan that he is number six in the alliance and keeps the idol. Mike is likely to win a few more immunities so having the idol is good for him. He showed Dan and Sierra were they are in the pecking order. Mike doesn't know about the double vote but he sure caused some serious havoc in the alliance of six.

Tyler is on the hot seat and would be better off if Mike stays in the game. Keep the target on Mike and get rid of Dan and Sierra.

Rodney is blessedly quiet. Carolyn is smug. Sierra says baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Love 22

I suspect it ends in a tie.  Carolyn/Rodney/Will all vote for Dan, Shirin/Mike/Sierra all vote for Tyler.  Then we go to purple rocks, with one of Carolyn, Rodney or Sierra going home.  (Unless one of them realizes this beforehand and flips to avoid the purple rock.)

I wonder if Carolyn would have played her idol for Tyler in that case?  Of course she probably would have realized she'd likely need it.

Nothing and no one would ever make me want to harm my cat. Just sayin'.

I would never ever ever hit Mookie. But Dan's inane patter put that violent thought into my head. I just needed something to distract me to make the sounds STOP.

• Love 4

Well, I'll just co-sign ProfCrash's post.

And add that if the editors aren't setting Dan and Will up for us to see a ​colossal fall, then someone needs to show up at the Reunion and punch them both in the dick.

• Love 17

Carolyn winning the women's immunity was such a letdown.  It would've been great to see Shirin win and stay safe, since then it would've guaranteed that Dan's dumb ass would've gone home.

I almost feel that Shirin is being edited in a manner similar to Sugar from S17, where the producers have to make her a fan favourite by default since everyone else is even worse.  Sugar was apparently as horrid as anyone in Gabon yet since she was ganged-up on by the rest of the morons (and definitely played to the cameras), she got a favourable edit.  It could be that Shirin is really just difficult to deal with in real life and we're not seeing her worst moments, unless the 'axis of evil' six really are just that horrible, which is a distinct possibility.  By the way, even if Shirin isn't as nice as we're led to believe, it IN NO WAY justifies how Will, Dan and pretty much everyone else have treated her.  That's just completely uncalled for.

• Love 14

So, was Dan trying to do every physically gross thing he could think of while talking to Shirin? Or does it just come naturally? Wouldn't it be fun to have a mailman who drops off your mail, says hi, scratches his balls, blows his nose on his shirt, and then comes into the house and rubs his ass all over the carpeting like a dog for ten minutes?

THAT is an image!! Thanks a lot for the nightmare tonight.....

• Love 3

I believe he is a mechanic and repairs equipment. Could be wrong

Dan is indeed a mechanic, which means he works on the various vehicles the carriers use to get the mail out. Which means.... they probably have to listen to him explain something ten ways to Sunday about how he fixed a whatchamacalit.

• Love 15

That was a great mind trick by Mike. He threw a wrench in their strong alliance by making them have to turn on each other. Then in the end he saved his idol for himself, which I thought it was smart but also he's now alone.

Dan's "I'm adopted." Makes no sense at all. He has a family, albiet an adopted one that loves him. He has a family still. She doesn't.

I have no words on Will.

Mike needs to run this to the end. I need him in the finale, because the alternatives are just no.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 19

The alliance of 6 really are a bunch of morons. Do they not realizing that hooting and hollerin when Shirin got voted out did not impress the jury one bit?  Can they not tell that this jury was completely on Mike and Shirin's side?

• Love 21

Dan's "I'm adopted." Makes no sense at all. He has a family, albiet an adopted one that loves him. He has a family still. She doesn't.

I couldn't believe he brought that into the conversation. How must his adopted family feel? LIke they are a thorn in his side, abusive to him in some way? Wow... bet Christmas will be different this year.

• Love 18

Dan tries to compare his adoption and not knowing his birth family to Shirin not having any type of relationship with her family due to verbal and physical abuse? Ok, didn't see that coming but really? Seriously? Trying to one up victim of abuse with I was adopted. Yikes.

He was not serious; he was mocking her.  Nasty man.  

• Love 4

When they were talking about a strong 6 at tribal, I really wanted Shirin or Mike to be all, "Then what happens?"  Three of those people are not going to make it to the end.  I think that might have convinced Dan and Sierra.  Of course Dan is an idiot, going on about how crazy Mike was to talk of Rodney flipping, while Tyler admits in a confessional Mike was right, so maybe it wouldn't have worked.

I am rooting for Mike at this point.  Tyler hasn't done anything particularly unlikable, but I haven't really seen him make any strong plays either.  I think he lucked into that alliance with Rodney.

• Love 7

When they were talking about a strong 6 at tribal, I really wanted Shirin or Mike to be all, "Then what happens?"  Three of those people are not going to make it to the end.  I think that might have convinced Dan and Sierra.  Of course Dan is an idiot, going on about how crazy Mike was to talk of Rodney flipping, while Tyler admits in a confessional Mike was right, so maybe it wouldn't have worked.

I am rooting for Mike at this point.  Tyler hasn't done anything particularly unlikable, but I haven't really seen him make any strong plays either.  I think he lucked into that alliance with Rodney.

Well, they are going to find out next week.  Carolyn has an idol, Dan has the extra votes, and Mike has his idol.  If someone else wins immunity, it'll really be scrambling then.

I just don't see why Dan and Sierra think flipping to Rodney's side was better.  There must be a reason that they aren't showing.  Big surprise with this season.

• Love 3

After watching this episode, I caught up with Arrow. I won't spoil anything, but it felt like a vortex sucking in any and all hope. And you know something? For the second week in a row, it was a better option for me to watch "live" than Survivor.

Shirin's exit has to rank alongside the ugliest moments in the history of the show. It might not top Hatch grinding on Sue and her tribe's celebration over her quitting, or Brandon getting pushed into madness by Philip (with Probst's back rub thrown in), but I am fucking livid. Seriously, fuck these people. The only person worth rooting for is Mike, except 1. He's only guaranteed to make it past the next TC minimum, and 2. He's a borderline Section 8. I mean, better him winning than Tyler (awesome snark on him by Shirin, BTW) or the others, but it would be like Fabio/Jud winning . . .  he won because somebody had to. Right now, I'd rather sit with Jenn and Shirin in the jury, wearing "MEAN PEOPLE SUCK" t-shirts than play with these assholes.

And Dan's adopted. Is it wrong to think that his birth parents saw what a piece of crap he'd become? I keep imagining Dan being left in a basket at an orphanage. For some reason, he has his stupid beard even then. Seriously, we need better "husky" men represented. Between Tom Buchannan, Rupert, Will and Dan, fat guys do not get good representation.

Good thing for CBS that I hate myself, so I'll keep watching. Maybe Rodney will get voted out before getting a reward. Maybe they'll do a "loved ones" challenge, and Dan will be stuck on his own. Maybe Shirin will deliver the mother of all jury speeches and put some of those fuckers in their place. Or maybe she'll just elect to slap the three finalists in a row, Moe Howard-style. Dare to hope, right?

• Love 23

I was annoyed at Jeff for dredging up the whole Will/Shririn business after it appeared that it was dealt with in the opening minutes and then dispensed with. It was a storyline I had no interest in seeing revived but Jeff who likes to stir things up couldn't let it go.

Meanwhile IF Mike had not been bluffing and carried it out...it would have made on of the best tribal councils in the show's history.

Instead he has accomplished nothing but let everyone know that he has an idol instead of keeping it as a secret weapon.

Vile Jenn oozes smugness from the jury box.

That IC looked designed for Rodney to win...Jeff and the producers must have been crushed when it didn't work out that way.

Lastly Blue Team was watching too much saturday morning TV if they thought making like animated characters was going to work rolling on those barrels. It never worked out for Shaggy and Scooby Doo so it was unlikely to work for them.

• Love 4

If Mike, who I initially couldn't stand, doesn't make it to the end then who's left to even marginally like? At least before when it was an unlikeable crowd, there was usually a player. So I guess Tyler?

If I had been Shirin, I would have called up memories of Judd and wished for some sharks to take out Dan and Will, who have to be two of the least self aware people ever to play. Carolyn is just smug and I honestly don't know anything about Sierra but if someone who hauls horses around can't outlast a corporate trainer in that IC...

Edited by culturevulture73
  • Love 2

I'm enjoying this season but then I like almost all Survivor seasons, regardless of the cast and theme. There are a few exceptions in prior seasons but not many. This game brings out all kinds of sneaky behavior in the name of the game and I look past alot of it. I like Tyler tremendously -- Carolyn too. I don't mind Dan or Will. Mike is a wily, challenge beast. Sierra doesn't make a blip on my radar. But Shirin.....she annoyed the hell out of me in many ways. Glad she's got the boot. ETA: her excessive use of the word "stupid" shows that she has a very, very ugly side.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3

I don't think it's the edit. I think this cast is top-heavy with bullies and demagogues. And she is not good at dealing with those people. Hint: never accuse them of "verbal assault." To them that's "victim talk." In their mind, only people who are deeply, fundamentally "weak" use victim talk. "It is bad to be weak, and evil-doers must be punished." Accuse them of being "assholes" instead. Or perhaps something even stronger. Equal-terms insults may still inspire a lot of yelling, but at least you won't be marking yourself as prey. Just like if you wave your toes in front of a kitten you're going to get claw-swiped, if you act like a designated victim in front of a bully you're going to get bullied. Sierra made the same mistake the time they threw votes at her, and she had a hell of a time digging her way back up to "beta" status.

Speaking of equal-terms insults, I was kind of hoping that when Rodney was doing so well in the weight challenge, Mike would eventually make him screw up by saying "Do it for your whore mother!" That got me wondering if there was anything Shirin could say to beat Carolyn. Unfortunately, I don't think so. So then I just sat there hoping that Carolyn's bacon cheeseburger reward would suddenly reward her with a need to go racing to the bathroom! Alas, no such luck. Shirin is gone.

So if two monkeys have sex in the forest, and there is nobody there to watch them, is it still funny?

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 14

Mike's bluff was pretty cool, but other than that this was another episode I just didn't enjoy watching. This is almost getting to be as masochistic as Big Brother. I'm not even angry, just kinda getting tired of being all excited for a new episode and then feeling like I wasted my time watching. Maybe Jeff was right about this season jumping the shark, because the gameplay is not interesting enough to counter the repulsive personalities.

• Love 1

Have we seen Dan establish an alliance with Tyler/Carolyn/Will?  On the Reward Challenge he was acting like it was an established thing.  I got the impression that they (Tyler, at least) were just humoring him.  

• Love 1

Rodney is blessedly quiet. Carolyn is smug. Sierra says baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

All I could think of when I read that was Hali making Sierra a crown at Ponderosa in the shape of a sheep (though I doubt Hali would be that mean).

And Dan's adopted. Is it wrong to think that his birth parents saw what a piece of crap he'd become? I keep imagining Dan being left in a basket at an orphanage. For some reason, he has his stupid beard even then. Seriously, we need better "husky" men represented. Between Tom Buchannan, Rupert, Will and Dan, fat guys do not get good representation.

And all I thought of this was the opening moments from the movie Problem Child, where Junior kepts getting moved from home to home in the same basket he had been left in as a baby.  I didn't mind Tom or Rupert their first time out.  Tom lost me during AS, and Rupert I was over before that season began. 

• Love 3

I'm kind of hoping Mike wins now - he's the only one left who I marginally like (even if it was disappointing that he didn't save Shirin, but he does need the idol for himself). I am hoping that if Dan or Will make the final 3 the jury will tear them apart because they are two of the most hateful people I've seen on Survivor for a long time.

• Love 8

I get the impression Tyler and Carolyn are in a tight two alliance, and using the blue collars to help them get to the end. Then screw them. Which.... isn't very smart of the white collars to think they can then get their votes. I hope Tyler and Carolyn get blindesided, hard.

• Love 12

Dan always has to one up people. Shirin and Max are super fans, Dan reminds everyone he is a super fan. Joe says he is going to bring a super fan on reward and it would mean a ton to Shirin, Dan raises his hand and says sper fan. Dan mocks Shirin being a super fan who can't do math but Dan can. He is a better super fan.

Now Dan doesn't have a realationship with his birth family just like Shirin.

I swear, Dan doesn't like Shirin because she has all the storylines Dan wanted.

And then he says he wasn't there for the fight but posts on facebook about Shirin saying nasty things to Will and deserving the personal attack.

Uggghhhh

Why can't I quit this show? Why am I so fucking weak?

• Love 18