Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Watch

Athena
  • Start Topic

Did anyone else think Horrocks would have made a good Stephen Bonnet?  When he was talking, before being run through, I realized he was exactly as I imagined Bonnet to be, mannerisms and all.  When Horrocks mentioned going off to the colonies, I was almost sure he would become the Stephen Bonnet character.  Then Ian ran him through, so that theory was dead (har!).  

YES!  I was thinking the same thing.

She wasn't talking about childbirth, but how it felt to be pregnant--in the show, Claire asked her what it felt like to be pregnant. Someone else, I think, in the non-book thread also said they liked how Jenny described childbirth. But that's not what she's describing. it's how a pregnancy feels.

That's what I meant. I liked it because though I've never been pregnant, I have Had friends who were and they described the experience in a similar way(less eloquently). I just think it is a nice intimate piece of prose.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been thinking about Jenny urging Ian to ride with Jamie and the Watch instead of staying home with her while she labors and gives birth.  I'm sure some of the unsullied (non-readers) heard that line and went "huh?"  Because what Jenny says is, basically, "I don't want to lose my brother a second time so you, husband, ride with him and protect him."  Her words almost suggest that Jamie is more precious to her than her husband.  But now I recollect the scene from Book 2, when Jamie is picking the men who will ride to war with him, and Jenny asks him to take Ian.  She doesn't do it because she want Ian to go to war -- she does it because she knows how the loss of his leg has affected his self-worth.  She knows that being asked by the Laird to ride to war with him will tell him he is still a whole man -- a warrior.  Ian refuses but it's clear that the request had the intended effect on him.

I think that is the sub-text of Jenny's demand that Ian ride with her brother and protect him in this episode.  Telling him that he is still capable of fighting along side Jamie, protecting his weak side as he did in the wars, is really the the most loving, generous thing Jenny could have said in that moment.  I like TVJenny even more now.

ETA:  I had to go back and change "Sam" to "Jamie" in one place in the post above.  Those two really are becoming confused in my brain just a wee bit.

ETA:  I just saw a screen shot from the next episode.  Waldo's back!  Yay!  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6

I think that is the sub-text of Jenny's demand that Ian ride with her brother and protect him in this episode.  Telling him that he is still capable of fighting along side Jamie, protecting his weak side as he did in the wars, is really the the most loving, generous thing Jenny could have said in that moment.  I like TVJenny even more now.

This is how I interpreted it, too, though I can understand that non-book readers might not see it that way. As I recall, the book has Jenny provoking Ian to beat her so that he'll feel manly. That's just as disgusting as those who think a woman wearing what some think is provocative clothing is an invitation to rape. I'm really glad they cut that.

• Love 1
On 5/3/2015 at 9:18 PM, Helena Dax said:

When Jamie and Claire were talking about kids, I'm surprised none of them said Frank might be the one with the problem. I get why they would be worried, of course, but they're usually so optimistic...

I thought that right away too.  Claire is a nurse, too, so it should at least occur to her.  

On 5/4/2015 at 11:48 AM, AheadofStraight said:

I did enjoy the childbirth scene though I always do a little eyerolling when there is over-the-top screaming. I realize some women are like this but not all of us are. It just seems like everyone on TV is like that. 

I dislike that too!  All that screaming!