Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: YHWH

SEASON FINALE!

Finch and Root race to save The Machine, which has been located by the rival AI, Samaritan, while Reese is caught in the middle of the final showdown between rival crime bosses Elias and Dominic.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Noooooooo.   The Machine.   It has to live.   It's self-aware, it can't die.   

Ma'am.   Not the black hood.   Oh dear.

This show.   I just can't right now.   I'm not even sure I am coherent.

• Love 5

I don't think I've been emotional about the fate of a machine since Terminator 2.  

Not a bad season finale but going to miss Elias and I needed more Bear!

• Love 5
(edited)

Holy shit.  My heart is pounding.  And the lesson Harold had to learn wasn't to learn to kill, or do something he thought was wrong for the right reasons, but to accept the Machine's love. 

The body count: I expect Elias is dead, and I knew it was coming, but when he was actually shot, I got the impression he was hit in the shoulder.  Wishful thinking?  So long, Dominic, you were not nearly as smart as you thought you were.  As for Control, she is a Magnificent Bastard, and I fully expect her to survive somehow.

I wonder just how long the writers were waiting to use that Pink Floyd song.

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 10

This. darn. show. It got my adrenaline pumping. In retrospect, killing off Carter was a genius move. This episode kept me on the edge of my seat seeing if Reese would die or not. This show definitely proves that not everybody lives to fight another day.

I hate to break it to Samaritan, but free will is a lot like cockroaches. It will never be completely wiped out. I am just so waiting for Finch to build a bigger, better Machine and for them to kick Samaritan's ass.

I hate that more potential allies died and were neutralized. I hold out hope Sameen and Ma'am get to come back and Team Free Will.

I have to admit one thing, I did not see that ending coming.

• Love 8
(edited)

Oh man, GIVE ME NEXT SEASON RIGHT NOW, I WANT IT SO BAD!

What a reset. How much did I love that last shot of Reese and Root leading Finch away from the Samarigoons??? Epic. EPIC. Iconic. That was awesome.

I totally called that TM was going small and getting in the case. So, so, SO excited to see where that goes next season, but if Harold has any more than a flicker of doubt about recreating TM, I'm going to wring his neck. The Machine--this Machine--has never been borderline homicidal, you jerk. But I really did love their conversation. Sniff. Really, REALLY wondering how Harold is going to treat TM next season. Gah so many questions!

Root was bringing the humor tonight. "A clip and a half, a MetroCard, and God is running on Double As." Ha! Very curious to see where a stripped-down Machine takes her as well.

Not sad at all to lose Dominic, but VERY sad to lose Elias, Grice (I really liked him, thought he had a LOT of potential as a character), and for the moment Control (though I don't think there's any way she's dead--the Shaw rule applies here, if she didn't get killed onscreen, she's not dead). She should've shot Greer when she had the chance, dammit! I wanted Greer to go down as a self-sacrificial pawn. And man, Greer knows how to play Control like a violin. She fell for it last season, she fell for it this season.

Loved John's Big Damn Hero moment, that was so badass. Still hate Iris--it was like we dropped into an alternate show briefly when she popped up.

I expect Elias is dead, and I knew it was coming, but when he was actually shot, I got the impression he was hit in the shoulder.

I thought he got hit in the chest. He seemed to still be moving in the last shot of him, but definitely in the death throes.

Next season has to be it, right? They resolve the Machine-Samaritan conflict and then, where can they go after that?

There could be a lot of show to be mined from the "new" Machine that Harold's going to have to partially rebuild. They'd gotten very used to the old Machine--the new one will be different. If TM and Samaritan merge, that could also be interesting. But yeah, it's hard to imagine how they could ever top the Samaritan arc once Samaritan's gone.

Oh, and I also loved Reese and Root being in God Mode in tandem. That was AWESOME when they were both barking out numbers. I have really, really grown to love the Reese-Root team--more than Reese-Shaw, I think I have to confess. Reese-Root is just so oddly compelling.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 9

Re: TM being homicidal: didn't we see in the flashback episode when Finch was building it that it kept trying to do all kinds of weird things, resulting in Finch having to keep yanking the cables to shut it down? Maybe that's what he meant.

• Love 2

Dammit!  I should have known Greer and Samaritan had a trick up their sleeves.  Control totally got played.  She's now getting taken somewhere bad (maybe that hole she threatened Greer with?), and all of her agents are dead (I guess that's what Nick E. Tarabey gets for playing a good guy!)

Samaritan wasn't done with that either.  Dominic?  Dead now.  Elias?  Looks bad as well, but I think he might still be hanging in there.  At least Fusco is still in one piece.  Really got worried there for a second.

So, basically Finch and Root got The Machine stored on portable discs, and now are trying to get the hell out of dodge with Reese.  Right in the middle of a fire-fight.  And that's how they end it!  Oh, show.  That is evil.  We don't even know yet if it will be renewed!  It should be, but this is CBS we're talking about.  Hope they have time to pick up Bear!

The scene with Finch and The Machine was insane.  Michael Emerson can basically play off an inanimate object and make it one of the most emotional scenes between two living, breathing characters.  Now, that's talent right there.

I guess they're leaving the door open for both Iris and Harper to return as well.

• Love 2

After yelling KILL HIM about Dominic, someone finally made my dream come true, bless you.

Funniest moment for me was the short-changed guy running out of the store, Root flipping that machine gun around in a truly badass move and him going, "we're cool, we're cool…"

• Love 3

Re: TM being homicidal: didn't we see in the flashback episode when Finch was building it that it kept trying to do all kinds of weird things, resulting in Finch having to keep yanking the cables to shut it down? Maybe that's what he meant.

I was thinking about this too.  I'm wondering if Finch will have to reteach the Machine morality, like he did the first time.  Or at least partially reteach it.  

Another thought for next season (fingers crossed) they'll need to get it up and running, in general, without being found out by Samaritan.

• Love 1

Really good episode.  I don't think quite as good as some of the past finales but still very exciting, tense, and super engaging as is the hallmark of this great show.

I knew Greer had something up his sleeve and Control was foolish not to pop him before she was captured.  Still, I'm glad things ended with hope for Team Machine.  They needed it badly...it's been a rough two years for them.

Dominic definitely wasn't half as clever as he thought he was.  Elias is but as clever as he is, Elias is just a fly to something like Samaritan.  Hope he survived.  Glad Fusco wasn't killed...I was worried when he went off to see them brought to the station.

Root is always fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Machine be rebuilt and hopefully next year, Team Machine strikes back hard and wipes the smug look off of Greer's face.

• Love 2
(edited)

But this version of The Machine didn't try to kill anyone--that's why Finch let it live in the first place, right? It just seems a bit unfair to me to hold the actions of the dead Machines against this Machine.

I was thinking about this too.  I'm wondering if Finch will have to reteach the Machine morality, like he did the first time.  Or at least partially reteach it.

And are Root and Reese going to be added to the pot? Because scary thought if so. ;) But seriously, I think next season is going to get a LOT of mileage out of having to rebuild The Machine. They'd gotten used to The Machine as she was--what do they do with a new Machine, who doesn't necessarily have the same personality? Who doesn't have all the same memories, and, perhaps, bond with the team that the old one did? If they need to be able to win, what changes do they make to TM's programming, and how do they deal with that? That could--should--shake up Finch and Root's worlds like crazy.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

I'm not sure about Elias. It looked like he was shot in the heart, but he was still moving slightly, so who knows. However, even if he could possibly be saved, surely Samaritan would have him killed in the hospital. He didn't get a head shot like some of the others, though (clinging on to every thread of hope).

I kept yelling "shoot him, shoot him" in Control's scene with Greer. We need another season, if only to have the satisfaction of seeing Old Smugface taken out.

Sorry to lose Grice--wish it was Ivy. Computer guy is still alive at least.

TM's propensity to walk unscathed through massive gunfire always amuses me. Outside of assassin guy, Samaritan's agents have the worst aim ever.

• Love 4

I think Harold's break with the machine and the reason for the homicidal comment was when it wanted to kill the congressman, not that this time it ever tried to kill him.

It was absolutely amazing how poignant those words on the screen were - but also chilling.  "I won't suffer," being a reassurance?  Gosh I hope no AI EVER has that conversation in real life!

And...so now Reese has to bare his super hero ways to Iris?  huh.

Agree 110% Control should've brought in the black hood or pulled the trigger.

Hope Enrico shows up again soon!

• Love 3

Oh man, GIVE ME NEXT SEASON RIGHT NOW, I WANT IT SO BAD!

What a reset. How much did I love that last shot of Reese and Root leading Finch away from the Samarigoons??? Epic. EPIC. Iconic. That was awesome.

I totally called that TM was going small and getting in the case. So, so, SO excited to see where that goes next season, but if Harold has any more than a flicker of doubt about recreating TM, I'm going to wring his neck. The Machine--this Machine--has never been borderline homicidal, you jerk. But I really did love their conversation. Sniff. Really, REALLY wondering how Harold is going to treat TM next season. Gah so many questions!

Root was bringing the humor tonight. "A clip and a half, a MetroCard, and God is running on Double As." Ha! Very curious to see where a stripped-down Machine takes her as well.

Not sad at all to lose Dominic, but VERY sad to lose Elias, Grice (I really liked him, thought he had a LOT of potential as a character), and for the moment Control (though I don't think there's any way she's dead--the Shaw rule applies here, if she didn't get killed onscreen, she's not dead). She should've shot Greer when she had the chance, dammit! I wanted Greer to go down as a self-sacrificial pawn. And man, Greer knows how to play Control like a violin. She fell for it last season, she fell for it this season.

Loved John's Big Damn Hero moment, that was so badass. Still hate Iris--it was like we dropped into an alternate show briefly when she popped up.

I thought he got hit in the chest. He seemed to still be moving in the last shot of him, but definitely in the death throes.

There could be a lot of show to be mined from the "new" Machine that Harold's going to have to partially rebuild. They'd gotten very used to the old Machine--the new one will be different. If TM and Samaritan merge, that could also be interesting. But yeah, it's hard to imagine how they could ever top the Samaritan arc once Samaritan's gone.

Oh, and I also loved Reese and Root being in God Mode in tandem. That was AWESOME when they were both barking out numbers. I have really, really grown to love the Reese-Root team--more than Reese-Shaw, I think I have to confess. Reese-Root is just so oddly compelling.

Well-played, stealinghome!

I've been waiting for Dominic to get his ever since Lionel had him in his sights at that sit-down with Reese in the diner. Sad to see Grice get it, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

TM's propensity to walk unscathed through massive gunfire always amuses me. Outside of assassin guy, Samaritan's agents have the worst aim ever.

Samaritan agents = Imperial stormtroopers! And Root is Princess Leia: impeccable aim, almost never misses (and kind of a smartass). And now that I've drawn that parallel, this whole storyline is very Star Wars-esque and now I may have blown my own mind.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 3

I suspect that the homicidal characterization of the machine stems from it apparently wanting them to off a congressman to prevent Samaritan from getting the feeds. After seeing what the AIs that Harold had to pull the plug on were like, it's not surprising that that would raise doubts in Harold's mind.

• Love 3

So...Control refers to today being Cinco de Mayo but there's still snow on the ground (or was in the previous episode)?

Climate Change is real...

• Love 2

Show! I worried about Fusco way too much. I mean, thanks for letting him live, but, given Reese's acknowledgement of him recently and then being Hero so soon into the ep, I was getting ready to weep for him every scare!

I had a feeling something was going to happen to The Machine as the finale for a few weeks now, I was right, and if the anticipation has ended up impacting how sad I am about it, I'd hate to think what I'd actually be like now. Because I'm pretty damn sad.

Today it was around 80degrees here in NYC, they're all dressed like winter, probably because it was freakishly freezing this time last month and that weirdly amuses me.

Love Finch wanting to save John! Finch's description of the Machine to Root "cold on a good day, homicidal on a bad..." (I'm paraphrasing but I wish I knew the full line) made me think of how that could apply to Reese, too, which was fun but disappointing Fusco wasn't around to pick up/point that out too.

I need to do a rewatch and gather more thoughts, now that I won't be hindered by worrying about who will or won't make it. I thought Reese could go too (Harold and Root I felt pretty confident would be around) and the Team has been through enough changes for now.

• Love 2

Oooh, looks like there IS hope for Elias! From here:

TVLINE | Turning to the finale’s many deaths and possible deaths: Dominic?
PLAGEMAN | Yeah, he’s gone.

TVLINE | Elias, though, seemed to be hanging on by a thread….
PLAGEMAN | We can neither confirm nor deny.

• Love 4

Thanks, Show, for the Pink Floyd earworm. No offense but that will be echoing through my head for the rest of the night. And I won't be believing Elias is dead just because you show me a sniper, a shoulder wound and some eye flutters. Until they show us an actual dead body, I'm still on team Elias.

• Love 6
So, basically Finch and Root got The Machine stored on portable discs, and now are trying to get the hell out of dodge with Reese.  Right in the middle of a fire-fight.  And that's how they end it!  Oh, show.  That is evil.  We don't even know yet if it will be renewed!  It should be, but this is CBS we're talking about.  Hope they have time to pick up Bear!

If this does turn out to be the end* (God forbid), it's a very Angel series ending.  Hmmm, it seems there might have been a certain someone with repetitive initials who took part in both finales.

* there's real hope even should CBS decide to pull the plug, as J.J. Abrams sounds pretty bullish about finding another network for POI if it's cancelled.  And the USA Today poll this week suggests there'd be a pretty big fan campaign to save the show, should it come to that.

• Love 5
(edited)

They did it again.

Wow.

My mouth did not close for the last 15 minutes. I was actually clutching my pearls. The Correction was a surgical strike. Of course. Not to mention, a test. It made perfect sense. Samaritan identified the problems and solved them. Simple as that. Like you might replace a fuse. Humans are objects to it. Someone can't fit in, you pluck them out. Chilling.

So, Dominic, out. Grice, out (poor Grice. I love Nick Tarabay, but Grice's fate was indeed sealed when he let Shaw go). Floyd, kneecapped? Elias, dying but not dead? Control, alive (for which I irrationally cheered) but lost. The Machine, kind of alive, probably. That's quite the death toll. And it happened in such a great way. I suspected something massive might happen when I realised no one had died and we were more than halfway through the episode. Sigh.

But let me go back to the beginning: Rewriting Core Protocols? So the Machine could do more, but she chose humans to do its work for it? Unless there was no other option? That's kind of amazing. Does she think that humans will make better decisions, perhaps? That they're the ones who should be making those decisions? And I also thought it was interesting that Root had so much faith in the Machine, that she just knew there was something more that the Machine could do.

That was a lovely moment between Finch and Caleb. Trust this show to casually refer to an episode from seasons ago in a low key yet poignant way. A way that moves the viewers who remember but also clues in the viewers who don't. Luke Kleintank was really good, as always. Such a great scene.

I suspected that the gang war storyline would be resolved early on, but I loved the added conflict; Harold plainly choosing his friend, saying "the Machine will have to wait, I have to go help John" and Root saying "the Machine is the priority here" Sigh.

Also, not gonna lie, I thought that Harold bringing up Sameen was a deliciously low blow. Thankfully, Root trusted the Machine enough for the both of them, again. She trusted that the Machine would save John. And she was right. I loved her smile when Reese showed up. Was Root smiling for Reese, because he was OK? For Harold, because he had gotten his friend back? Or for the Machine, because she still had it, she could still pull off a rescue?

Everything about Control was amazing. I mean, her not getting a memo she "herself" had written? It would be chilling if it weren't hilarious. It's truly insane that I'm even rooting for her. It's truly insane that I hope Team Machine eventually breaks her out. Camryn Manheim's awed face as the truth was slowly revealed matched my own. What a performance by her. Damn. Though the black hood was strangely poetic.

I do not have the words for the scene between Finch and the Machine yet. I need to process it. Maybe in a week. I mean. Father. Thank you for creating me. Michael Emerson's face. Just.

And Greer saying that for the first time the praying people would be right? Goddammit (pun intended). I love these little religious moments because they're not over the top.

I also want to say the direction and the cinematography were flawless. Those final shots of Elias were especially beautiful, I thought. A fitting end (though I'm thrilled to read it may not be the end, hehe). And the action scenes that Reese had? Wow.

Speaking of Reese:

CAN. YOU. HEAR. ME.

HELL YES.

I DIED. I've been waiting for this for so long. The Machine talking to Reese, directly, because she lost Sameen and she won't lose John too. And, even better, the Machine talking to Reese and Root at the same time, as they were talking to Finch? EPIC. I totally agree, Reese/Root is such a perfect team-up.

When Reese got out there with the smoke grenades my jaw dropped. And I, too, seriously though Reese might die. There were so many hints. Him saying "no place I'd rather be"? Telling Iris he'd tell her the truth if he made it? I just love that this show can make me genuinely worried about every single character (other than Finch). Indeed, Carter's loss had meaning in a meta sense too. In the end, I genuinely expected Reese to be dead. Honestly. For that final punch in the gut.

I just find it absolutely incredible that things always get bleaker on Person of Interest. Samaritan is stronger than ever. It has eliminated most threats. The Machine currently can't function (though she's still kicking). And yet there's hope.

That last shot? Reese and Root, unflappable, guns blazing, fighting for their lives and for the Machine and for a better future, while Harold, the Father, is cradling his child and walking unafraid? Chills. Poetry.

If this show isn't renewed I will weep.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 10
(edited)

Well, stealinghome was totally correct about the machine going into the Case of Indestructible Carrying but unfortunately, not in any functioning form, à la Orac.  Just the "core heuristics" in highly compressed, and non-executable form.  And if those were the 128Gb chips that were mentioned, there were about 12 chips per board, and 71 boards, or a little over 100Tb of storage, so whatever computer they will have to build for her to "boot up" in, will be pretty impressive. 

Unfortunately, as I suspected, this was pretty much a win for Samaritan.  Even Control refused to pay attention when I shouted "Don't turn your back to the door!"  The Machine has been stopped (thankfully, not eradicated, but effectively non-functional), Control is out of the picture, The Correction went ahead unopposed, Dominic is dead (thankfully), Elias dead (maybe, but down for the count, anyway), Shaw still in the wind...  Essentially not much silver lining and a whole lot of cloud!

I love this show, and really do look forward to next season, but Team Machine have got to turn things around.  I need to see them proactively making successful moves, and Samaritan on the back-foot.   (ETA:  Sorry!  Wrong audience for cricket terminology.  I mean "on the defensive.")

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5

Samaritan agents = Imperial stormtroopers! And Root is Princess Leia: impeccable aim, almost never misses (and kind of a smartass). And now that I've drawn that parallel, this whole storyline is very Star Wars-esque and now I may have blown my own mind.

I was thinking Star Wars throughout the end, especially given their posture face-front out on the stoop instead of recessed into the alcove.

I love this show, but one little nitpick:  Why would Samaritan start on the West Coast allowing the machine to be cornered in a city so close to its human helpers.  Why not start in the east and corner it in San Diego or Seattle?

Anyway, I wish more viewers appreciated the depth of writing on this show and stopped watching Waltzing with the Celebrities or whatever those shows are called.

• Love 1

I hope Elias survives. He has to, Control too. If they are going to ever overthrow Samaritan they'll need her. I hope there's more Caleb next season. His blind trust for Finch was so poignant. They'll need him too.

Hopefully now Finch realizes The Machine can be good. The "I love you Daddy" party was surprisingly moving. Considering where the series started out, I'm glad it was developed into a character, not just a number giver.

Reese had some bad ass moments that he's been missing for a while. But the Iris thigh is so out of place and unnecessary. Harper wasn't as annoying but she was useless as well.

I wish Grice survived. He was cool. But oh so happy Dominic is over. Most boring villian ever.

• Love 5

Finch's "Oh ...that hurt."

Grice -Was that him getting shot on the split screen Control was watching? Could that have been Shaw that shot him? Shaw returning by way of saving Grice from being killed as he had once saved her. He gets added to the team. The person reached in to the car.

Elias-Don't think he died. He won't go out by way of a sniper. My bet is he will go out by way of saving John or Finch when he does go.

• Love 4

Damn, that character-acting Method font had me going again. Yes, I was welling when the machine spoke to Harold.

And I might have been muttering "just SHOOT that evil British twat" at Control. And no, I don't think Rico (I can call him that, since he was my acting school classmate ;-) is dead!) 

This is the way television should be: really well written and (mostly) well-acted, and beautifully shot and KILLING us on a regular basis. You have to work your ass off and have a lot of talent to begin with and get a TON of people with similar talent and commitment to believe in you to pull off something like that, so BRAVO show!

As for the machine's "surgical strike," I expect a certain part of next season (and there WILL be a next season) will be Samaritan discovering hubris. Taking out 3 or 4 hundred "disruptors" is not going to fix things in America or the world. As Elias has pointed out, he was a necessary evil, keeping the balance/ruling the criminal world in NYC so it did not explode into chaos. Good luck with that, Samaritan! Particularly (as we the viewers have seen), in poorer areas, people have their own fixes that do not involve high-tech.

I wonder if economic inequality is going to rear its ugly head next season, and how Samaritan will deal with corruption that's firmly embedded in systems. HOW would it have dealt with HR? Who taught it about corruption & evil?

And if there's a time when Harold faces Samaritan again (which I hope there will be), I want him to ask Samaritan a question it can't know the answer to: Do you want to know about your father? (DOES the machine think of its creator as its father?)

And Harold is definitely God the Father: along with his AI daughter, Caleb is a kind of son to him. So much so that he handed over the tech needed with no questions. I hope there is a chance they meet again.

And...anyone care about whether Harper survived? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...

• Love 3
And man, Greer knows how to play Control like a violin.

She really should have shot him even - especially - when she realized she'd been played. And seriously, how could that docket number have been anything but a red herring? What terrorist would write it down as part of their notes, how is the number relevant to what the terrorist is planning to do? If you are planning a strike on the Supreme Court, it doesn't matter a bit what case they are hearing. 

For some reason I am not feeling this show they way I used to. It's still good, but it doesn't wow me anymore that often. The Iris plot doesn't help either. "John, am I going to lose you?" Hell, I've never seen or felt that you ever had him, they keep telling me that there is something special there but I don't see it. I hope Reese has to go into deep hiding next season and never sees Iris again. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Well Star Wars is archetypes so that makes sense. (Lucas drew inspiration from Joseph Campbell's The Heroes Journey)

Strangely I was left feeling more hopeful (for the future of the POI world and our heroes) after this finale than after last season's. This WAS a great finale.

ETA - Elias has to live. He would be a great asset to the fugitives and, more importantly, I really like him.

Edited by pcta
  • Love 5
(edited)

I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenting voice so far and say that I found the finale somewhat underwhelming.  I know that the episode was bringing multiple storylines together, and I'm glad they finally wrapped up the Dominic/Elias one and tied it to the Samaritan arc.  And we lost a few secondary characters, but I was hoping for more crucial developments for our core team, especially Reese and Finch.  There had been so many hints about Reese dying that I thought he would at least be seriously injured.  I also expected some kind of payoff for Finch declining to learn how to defend himself a few episodes ago despite Reese's urgings, especially in an episode when the team was constantly vastly outnumbered.  

Due to stealinghome's brilliant speculations earlier, I wasn't surprised by the whole Machine-goes-small-and-into-the-suitcase plot; seeing it happen was exciting at times but there was no real tension for me as to whether they would succeed.  The only moments of uncertainty came at the end when Root and Reese faced the Samaritan operatives - those were beautifully shot scenes - although there's no way any of the three die.  

I was much more moved when The Machine talked to Harold in 4X21; for me, the scenes in 4X22 tipped too much into the maudlin side of things, although I definitely understand why it was moving to a lot of viewers.  I would have preferred The Machine not to have called Harold "father," for example - there are more forms of creation than parenthood and I've never seen The Machine's relationship with Harold as that of a child to a parent - so I wish the address term was still "Harold" in that scene.  But I did appreciate finally seeing Harold being so emotional in that conversation with The Machine and *not* wanting his creation to die after a season of being pretty ambivalent towards it.  

I *am* excited about the reset scenario for next season though - there are a lot of ways rebuilding The Machine could go.  And the showrunners all but guaranteed that Shaw would be back in Season 5, which will also be awesome!

Edited by wevel
  • Love 6

I love this show, but one little nitpick:  Why would Samaritan start on the West Coast allowing the machine to be cornered in a city so close to its human helpers.  Why not start in the east and corner it in San Diego or Seattle?

Didn't Harold say that when The Machine moved Herself, She went to a warehouse on the West Coast? Although She ultimately moved into the electrical infrastructure, she would have started from there. So Samaritan was just following Her path until It could finally catch Her.

And if there's a time when Harold faces Samaritan again (which I hope there will be), I want him to ask Samaritan a question it can't know the answer to: Do you want to know about your father? (DOES the machine think of its creator as its father?)

And maybe that's how Samaritan will finally be defeated. Harold will tell it about its creator, his goodness, what he intended in making Samaritan, and what ultimately happened to him, and Samaritan will abandon its wicked ways to make Daddy proud.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, I'm happy Dominic is gone, he always said he was smarter than everyone without showing it. At least Elias demonstrated it but I wouldn't be upset if he's gone, his arc has come to a natural end. I love Control and it was interesting that while Samaritan killed her loyal subordinates, she was spared. 

In that last slo-mo scene, I just wanted two things: no one to get shot and for that damn blue light to remain. So I'm happy.

ETA: Next time the machine should be hooked up to John's earpiece, they're an awesome tag team.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 3

Biggest surprise to me: John survived. Although why Det. Riley didn't call for back up at the shoot out, I don't understand.

Biggest disappointment: Greer and Samaritan survived.

Very sorry that Grice is gone. It's going to take more than one sniper bullet to kill Elias.

• Love 4

OK, I've slept but my brain is still numb. 

And can someone please tell me what YHWH stands for or is significant?  It is probably really obvious, but I am really clueless.

• Love 3

I thought it was a good episode, even if it turns out to be a series finale.  I absolutely loved that Fusco stopped Dominic twice before Samaritan put him down for good. Everyone always underestimates Lionel.  I'm pretty sure Elias is dead but you guys keep hope alive, I won't be sad if he manages to survive.

I cannot begin to express my anger that Greer survived, why on earth was Control just standing there letting him talk?

I kept waiting for Iris to reveal she works for Samaritan, something about her is just off.

I really thought John was going to die, glad he made it for now.  As good as this ep was I couldn't help thinking how different this show is from its original concept and early beginnings and I kind of miss that show.

If it gets renewed, I hope next season is the last (ducks head).

OK, I've slept but my brain is still numb. 

And can someone please tell me what YHWH stands for or is significant?  It is probably really obvious, but I am really clueless.

I think it's the English representation of the Hebrew letters for God's name YaHWeH.

• Love 2
(edited)
Strangely I was left feeling more hopeful (for the future of the POI world and our heroes) after this finale than after last season's. This WAS a great finale.

Same here, and I think I felt that way for two reasons.

1) This year, there was a sense that the team took Samaritan's best punch and escaped.  Like yeah, God is running on double As right now, but THIS was supposed to be Samaritan KOing the opposition. THIS was supposed to be Samaritan winning. So the fact that our team survived and has a plan? Things can only go up from here (Jonah Nolan said as much in one of the interviews). They took Samaritan's best shot and survived. Last season was scarier because we didn't know what Samaritan would/could do. Now we took his best shot.

2) More importantly, our team was together as a team walking away from the power plant. Last season was so moving--and grim/pessimistic--because they had to split up. all hope seemed lost because the team was scattered to the four corners, shooting longing looks at each other as they went. This time, they still have each other. They can still work, united, as a team. That, for me, was part of the reason why the last shot, Root and Reese united protecting Harold and baby!TM, was so powerful. This time, they're still a team.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 9

They're the consonants for the Hebrew word for God (which in English we often see represented as "Jehovah").

Another thread that I thought might be addressed in the last couple of episodes - in 4X19, Finch called out "Riley!" to Reese in a way that must have been dubbed in post-production (ME clearly mouthed "Reese"), which seemed to set up Reese's cover identity being blown to Samaritan.  However, the showrunners have said that the cover identities are lasting into next season, so I guess not?

• Love 2